PDA

View Full Version : Babalouie past rides...Luce 13B Rebuild Update Page 4!

Babalouie
15-08-06, 01:45 PM
I'm moving house ATM and found a huge cache of old pics of cars. I'll try to scan them in and post them up but here's one that I found in my office drawer (not sure how it got there)...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/AE92.jpg
This is my beloved old AE92, at the Wakefield hillclimb track...circa 1993 :D

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/AE92-2.jpg

Sp33dY
15-08-06, 02:00 PM
Dogleggin FTW!

Babalouie
15-08-06, 02:14 PM
Dogleggin FTW!

There's actually a good story about the big pic.

When I sold the car, the guys that came to buy it were these two 18yr old Fast and Furious wannabes. Really cringeworthy. Of course, as I usually do, I play the old "I'm just a gentle driver, I don't believe in thrashing cars" routine :D :D

Anyway these wankers are really bad. They were thrashing the car like crazy, all the time giving me this really wanky attitude, like "bet that's the first time it's been over 4000rpm, eh?" and "Now THAT's how you take a corner!", etc etc. When the guy overtook over double yellow lines with oncoming traffic (that we barely missed), I pulled the pin on the test drive.

When I asked them what they did for a living, they said "We RACE!" Yes, they really, really did say that.

During the test drive they keep commenting on how well the car seems to handle. So I say things like "well, I baby the car and never thrash it. The problem with these cars is that they're driven too hard and are worn out. My car is just for driving from A to B" :) Of course the REAL reason why it handled so well was becos it had 2.5 degrees of negative camber and a bigger rear swaybar, but I kept that to myself.

So they make an offer which I accept, and we go down to my room to do the papework. The guy buying the car is busy looking over the rego slip and the receipt I wrote up for him....while his mate is busy looking at some pics on my bookshelf....a bookshelf that contains lots of pics like the above, with racing numbers on the side, etc and the shelf had trophies and stuff from supersprints, etc. :D

He says "Umm...dude, you better come check this out..."
"Shut up, I'm checking the rego!"
"Dude...I REALLY think you should check this out..."
"Nigga, which part of 'shut up' did you not understand" (or words to that effect) :)

Anyway, the rego signed, the bank cheque in my hand (yoink!), the guy goes over to the bookshelf. They go quiet for about 5mins and leave without saying a word...

Gorilla
15-08-06, 02:36 PM
hahahahah. Cool story!

And damn, mad rolla, stock 4age?

Babalouie
15-08-06, 02:43 PM
hahahahah. Cool story!

And damn, mad rolla, stock 4age?

Yeah, it was stock except for struts modded for more neg camber, a 14mm rear swaybar, harder brake pads and semis. Motor, zorst, all 100% stock.

I sold it in 1994 with 96,000kms on it, and saw it parked by the side of the road a few yrs later with 80,000kms on the clock. Bastards :D

Philip Lee
15-08-06, 04:08 PM
this is gold.

i guess u have many more story to tell??!!

[ekkY]
15-08-06, 04:37 PM
mad story

any more ?????

Justin Fox
15-08-06, 04:43 PM
You liar Babs. :P

Babalouie
15-08-06, 05:25 PM
this is gold.

i guess u have many more story to tell??!!

Yeah.....I was selling my VW Bug (I'll post pics of that soon, it's cool altho not exactly JDM).

Anyway, this young guy comes to see the car. He doesn't drive it becos the seat is bolted to the floor and I'm a shortarse and he was tall :) So I take him for a hot lap of some favourite roads, and he's suitably impressed so agrees to buy it...

"Great!!...how much do you wanna leave for deposit?"
"Um...actually dude I don't have my wallet with me" Alarm Bell #1!!

Anyways, I shake his hand and he says he'll come back in a few days with the dosh....a whole week goes by and nada.

I give him a ring at home and he says:
"Oh! Right, the VW. Yes, well I've been having some trouble getting the money." Alarm Bell #2!!
"Uh huh..."
"I'm only a baker's apprentice and I don't get paid very much..." (so um, why are you going around the place buying cars?)
"Riiiight..."
"Hang on a tick......MUM! Can I borrow $6000?"

In the far off distance you hear:"....get farked..."

Alarm Bell #3!!

"Maybe I should call you back..."
"Yup, call me later. My sister comes home from work in a few hrs and I can ask her if she can lend me the money."

Another week goes by, and as it usuall happens, all of a sudden the phone is running hot. Everyone wants to buy a Cal-Look VW. But I supposedly have a buyer, but no deposit. So I call him again:

"Mate, you still serious about the VW??"
"Absolutely."
"How'd you go with your sister?"
"She told me to get farked"
"Righto...."
"You know what? Banks lend money, right?"
"I suppose so."
"Maybe I can get a loan."
"Perhaps you could..."
"Could you act as my reference for the loan?"

Alarm Bell #4!!

"Er, I think they usually want references that actually KNOW you..."
"Well, I am buying a car from you..." (sounding hurt) "Ok! I'll go to the bank."
"Bully for you."
"Can you give me a lift?"

Alarm Bell # 5!!

Anyways, I cut off the call right about there and tell him to call me back when he's sorted something out....a few days later, I get a call:

"Mate, about your VW..."
"Uh huh?"
"Can I pay you by the week?"
"BY THE WEEK??"
"I can manage $50 a week"
"$50!....A WEEK?"
"Well, it's not like you don't know me....and I am only a Baker's Apprentice." (sounding hurt again)
"Ok...I tell ya what. $50 a week it is...but you can't take the car until I get the full $6000."

Pause.

Pause...

"THAT's SO UNFAIR!! It's not like you won't get your money.........eventually. I think you're being really unfair."
"Mate, you know what?"
"What?"
"....get farked". Click.

A day later I get a call, and a guy comes over with $5800 in CASH. Pays me and drives away! :D

I got lots more stories....having owned and sold 11 cars I get a few t00ls calling me :D :D

Philip Lee
15-08-06, 05:30 PM
very entertaining. i guess we should start a seperate thread where people can share their stories (experience)!!

Gorilla
15-08-06, 06:42 PM
bahhahaha nice stuff...moreal, if you got no money...get farke haha

Middle Man
16-08-06, 03:43 AM
Although thats a mad story Babalouie, I feel that its quite wrong for not telling them you raced with that car :lol:

project2
16-08-06, 06:08 AM
sexy! i love these corollas best 1.6L car in the fwd class :D

pm or email me the pics once you have them up :d

josh2.5
16-08-06, 08:53 AM
hahahaha great pics and great stories dude. love em :P

Babalouie
16-08-06, 10:51 AM
Although thats a mad story Babalouie, I feel that its quite wrong for not telling them you raced with that car :lol:

If they asked, I wouldn't have lied....it's just that they merely assumed that I didn't :)

Babalouie
16-08-06, 11:09 AM
Here's the Bug that's the subject of the second story above...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/VWFront.jpg

Widebody, baby!!
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/BugAss.jpg

Yes, for the record it did get tracked :)
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/BugTrack.jpg

265/50-15s on the rear! Got dish?
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/BugTail.jpg

In years to come, your grandkids will look at this picture and say "wow...fuel delivery devices that don't require electricity" :) You will also notice that the wiring loom actually just consists of 4 wires, and when you are removing the engine, it takes 15 seconds to "disconnect the wiring loom" :D
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/BugBay.jpg

Dual Solex 40mm downdraught carbs, 1640cc overbore, Bosch 009 Dizzy and coil, 040 Dual Port heads, 1.25:1 high ratio rockers, extractors and single zorst. All that equals the dizzying heights of 55kw and a 4500rpm redline :D :D With 265s on the rear, in the dry traction was rarely an issue :D And BTW that cylindrical thing hooked up to the drivebelt is a generator, not an alternator. The main difference is that the higher the revs, the more electricity gets generated. So as you rev the engine the lights get brighter and the horn gets louder :D

Babalouie
16-08-06, 11:20 AM
After the Bug came the red Rolla from the first post.

Then one day my life changed when a mate showed me an old (1993) Option drift vid. I then HAD to have an AE86 and in 1994, I sold the AE92 and bought an ADM Sprinter.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/AE86Top.jpg

I converted it to 4AGE, JDM disc to disc rear end, JDM front AE86 discs, the whole lot. You can see the old-school TRD cam gears with the multiple peg holes in this shot, but apart from a pod, zorst and HKS 0.5mm head gasket she was stock, motor-wise.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/AE86Bay.jpg

Of course she got tracked!
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/AE86Track.jpg

The interior was the usual riot of faded and cracked plastic, but when I bought it, there was not a speck of rust. I had the whole car painted, including the engine bay, and she looked great. After all, in 1994 it was still only an 8yr old car! Also back in the day you could just rock up to any Toyota dealer and ask for a Gt Apex front splitter over the parts counter, they were in stock with Toyota Australia for the touring car programme but it was exxy, $350 in 1995.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/AE86Profile.jpg

Most of the mods were to the suspension. Koni coilovers, roll centre blocks, TRD Group A steering arms, adjustable panhard rod, radius rods, TRD 2-way LSD with a 4.625:1 gear, and a strut brace. One of the best handling cars ever.

I sold that car to a mate in 1997, and he owns it to this day. Bastard won't sell it back to me :D

Babalouie
16-08-06, 11:31 AM
After the AE86, I felt like I wanted to graduate to something with more power. Nissan Turbo power :D

So after doing some sums, the DR30 Skyline Coupe seemed to be the go. Uber light (1150kg), and with the legendary FJ20. I felt it was a logical progression and so this was the result:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/DR30Front.jpg

The mighty FJ20. Mine put out 132rwkw at 10psi, without an intercooler. Mods were a 3in HKS zorst, Nismo overboost valve and she must have either had cams or a modified turbo becos the powerband was much more top endy than other FJ20s.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/DR30Bay.jpg

DR30 in typical pose around Wakers. The irony is that this is the car that sorta ended my obsession with competition. It was troublesome, and in 18mths I only ever did 2 supersprints with it. There was always something wrong.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/DR30Wakers.jpg

In the end, I popped the engine, and rebuilt it myself in the carport. It ran fine but after all the frustration it was never the same and I had to get rid of it.

But it was an appealing car. Such clean, simple, yeat aggressive lines.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Dr30Profile.jpg

It had a real old-school interior from the 70's. But it was perrrrrfect, even the radio was still original. Check out the condition of the seat fabric, the whole interior was really immaculate. In the background is the remains of an AW11 S/C rear-cut, that we used to convert my brother's AW11 to supercharged :D

After all the issues I had with the Skyline, I got rid of it in 1998. A Soarer V8 replaced it, but strangely enough I don't have any pics of that car...
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/DR30Inside.jpg

Edit: Oh yea, mods. It had Koni coilover at the front, Bilstein coilovers at back, Nismo 2 way, 4.4:1 diff gears, front camber tops, strut brace, huge 25 row oil cooler with braided lines, and a sump skid plate cos the sump hangs down so low :)

Justin Fox
16-08-06, 11:38 AM
Keep it up Babs, enjoying this a lot. Inspiring! Might start up my own past rides thread with running commentary as well.

Babalouie
16-08-06, 12:37 PM
Keep it up Babs, enjoying this a lot. Inspiring! Might start up my own past rides thread with running commentary as well.

The next story is when I sold the Skyline.

By far the most common type of call was guys thinking that I was selling a GTR for $12,500. Now, this was in 1998, when JDM imports were still quite rare and most ppl didn't know much about them. This'll spin ya out, in those days R33 GTS25ts were $35,000, SR20 Silvias were as much as $28,000.

So lots of guys would call, asking if the car was a GTR. When you say "umm, no." the response is usually "but, but...it says Skyline Turbo!" :D

Anyways, the most amusing call was this English guy. I get a call at 7.30am and there's this guy with a clipped, School-Headmaster's accent.

"Hello."
"Hello. I want a fast car and I don't want to pay much money."
"Er. What?"
"I want a fast car and..."
"...you don't want to pay much money?"
"Yes. Is your Skyline fast?"
"Well, it's got 132rwkw."
"Those are meaningless statistics" :shock: "is it fast?"
"Um...well it does a flat 14 quarter mile."
"But is it FAST?"

Thinking, thinking...

"Yes. It is fast. Very fast."
"How fast?" Aw geez, how do you answer that...
"Listen...what do you want to do with the car? Trackwork?"
"No. My friends go into the country roads, and they race each other." :shock: :shock: "Hence I need a fast car, but..."
"Yes, yes....you don't want to spend much money."
"Precisely."
"Ok, now we're getting somewhere. What cars do your friends drive?"
"A Mitsubishi Supra" :D "...a Subaru WRX STA and a Maserati turbo."

"A Supra what?"
"Mitsubishi Supra. Twin Turbo."
"Err...ok. Well er..it isn't as fast as one of those."
"Well, can it be MADE to go faster?"
"Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"
"I want a fast car, but I don't want to spend much money."
"Oh ok. Well, the FJ20 engine can be modified to produce huge amounts of power. You can fit forged pistons, stronger rods, a bigger turbo..."
"That's just technical mumbo-jumbo. How fast will it go?"
"Very, very fast. But it will cost you about $7,000."

Pause.

"That's too much. You see, I want a fast car, but.."
"You don't want to spend much money..."
"Correct."

Pause...*well shit, if you don't have enough money to beat your mates WRX 'STA' what do you want me to do about it?*

"Ok, you know what? I don't think my car is for you."
"No, by the sounds of it, it isn't fast enough."
"But there is a new vehicle, just introdouced onto the market, that I think will meet your requirements."
"Well, I want a fast car but I don't want to spend..."
"Yes, yes. I would recommend something that only costs about $15,000. And it's new."
"Is it fast?"
"Very fast....300km/h fast."
Pause. "Yes I think that will be sufficient."
"Right. Go down to your local Suzuki dealership and ask for a test drive of their Hayabusa."
"Haya-what?"
"H-A-Y-A-B-U-S-A."
"$15,000 you say?"
"Absolutely."

Pause.

"That's fantastic news! Thank you so much for helping me. What sort of car is a Hayabusha?"
"Um...let's just say it's sleek. Call me back and let me know how you go."

...believe it or not...he never called me back!

Anyways, when the car eventually sold, it was a CHICK that called me up.

"Hello, I'm calling about your Skyline."
"Hi. You know...it's not a GTR".
"Of course not, it's a DR30."
"Oh. So you're familiar with the model?"
"Yeah, sure. Is it the earlier model with the bigger turbo?" :shock: *I think I'm in love*
"Yes it is." Gulp.
"It should have 0.60 stamped into the turbine housing." :shock: *will you marry me?*
"Yes, yes, it's got the 0.60 A/R housing."
"Well the car is for my boyfriend..." *oh, snap*

Her name was Bronwyn, and she had a cute voice. I kept in touch with her for years after I sold the car :D

milkman
16-08-06, 12:54 PM
Hahaha awesome story man!

did you ever meet her dude? sounds like a catch :D

Babalouie
16-08-06, 12:58 PM
Hahaha awesome story man!

did you ever meet her dude? sounds like a catch :D

Hell no :) But it's all true, I swear...I cut a fair bit out of the conversation but yes, he did actually have mates who went out onto long straight country roads and dragged off their cars. This guy wanted to join in, but didn't know the first thing about cars.

...so right now, he's prolly in a ditch on the side of the OPH somewhere, upside down and calling for help :D

Edit: Oh...you mean Bronwyn's dude :) Yeah, I met him and his bro when I delivered the car. Brownyn didn't come tho :( Yeah, he was a good guy, he fixed a lot of the things I never got around to fixing, fitted a FMIC, sorted out a lot of things. But he did replace those dished Longchamps with 17in Hyperfangs, which I can't forgive him for....

Edit2: Oh....you mean BRONWYN?? :D Nah, never met her in person. Prolly for the best that I didn't :) Helps keep the fantasy alive :D I'm sure she looks like Angelina, has the personality of an angel and a 100-piece Snap-On set in the garage :P

[ekkY]
16-08-06, 03:04 PM
awesome story babs

keep it coming bro :lol: enjoying every sec of it i like how u bought each car and thens again " oh she got tracked " lol

all of ur cars are track whores

ehehee

Babalouie
16-08-06, 03:30 PM
]awesome story babs

keep it coming bro :lol: enjoying every sec of it i like how u bought each car and thens again " oh she got tracked " lol

all of ur cars are track whores

ehehee

Ay, of course they all get tracked :) Even the POS VW Bug....to be honest a mountain bike or skateboard woulda been faster around a track :)

The very first motorsport event I ever entered was a hillclimb at Bathurst. Basically they go backwards up the back half of the track. Start halfway down Conrod, then go upwards and end up at Skyline.

The VW (with its stomping 55kw) was just shit. I remember dumping the clutch, then at Forrest Elbow look at the speedo and it's doing 65km/h. Floor it all the way up the hill and at the top of the hill it's doing 62km/h.

Sheesh.....I came second last and got beaten by a girl on her P-plates, driving a rusted out Ford Meteor auto (mid 80's Laser sedan).

A few mths later I chopped it on for the Corolla SX...100kw, 7800rpm top end. WOW. In the first supersprint it came 5th in class and within a few mths it was coming 2nd and I think we came 4th overall in the NSW CAMS superspring series that yr.

Back in those days (early 90's) the typical ride for club motorsport was something like say a Datto 1600 or Gemini, stroked to 2L and running twin carbs. Something modern, like the Corolla SX with big brakes, 5 close ratios and a huge rev range was faster out of the box. Within a few yrs, the classes were dominated by things like Swift GTis and Pulsar SSSs and that was the beginning of the end of the old-schoolers.

VTECMACHINE
16-08-06, 10:30 PM
hahah that's GOLD!!!

milkman
17-08-06, 12:08 AM
lol @ the 3 edits to answer my post, but you know what they say.. this thread is worthless without pics.. ya gotta show us some more of your rides, that rolla ones are awesome and so is the story hah :shock:

Babalouie
17-08-06, 02:39 AM
Hmm....well I'm running out of pics of cars :)

After the Soarer (which, as I said there mysteriously are no pics of), I got a Teggy Type R:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/ITR.jpg

And um....yes, I tracked it :)
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/hondacars_0516.jpg

I was one of the first to buy a DC2R in 2000, and the moment the odometer clicked over 1000kms, I was at Wakefield :) It was a WRX club trackday IIRC, and everyone dropped what they were doing and went to the side of the track when my DC2R went out (up to then, nobody knew exactly how fast it really was and the curiosity was palpable).

On road tyres (just the ones the car came with), she reeled off STI times....on the third lap, everyone on the pit wall was on their mobiles, everyone was really surprised, including me. On road tyres and bog stock form, a DC2R is good for a high 1'13 around Wakers. It was, and is, an incredible car, probably the likes of which we will never see from a volume manufacturer again...sadly.

In terms of mods, I made up my own AEM-style long-ram intake, but on the dyno it only added a smidge of power at the top end, while losing a bit more in the midrange. So I went back to stock, but geez, it made a real chainsaw sound :D

The wheels I have on the track pic are the HR-V optional 16x6 wheels which were quite popular on the DC2Rs. As an option, it was really expensive for the HR-V, so hardly anyone took the option. So when the HR-V was phased out, Honda had tons and tons of these 16in wheels, which they sold for virtually nothing. Me and my friends bought 6 sets for $40 each. They weren't that light, but at 7.5kg they were ok, and looked quite good on the DC2R.

After the DC2R, came the MX5, which I still have. And the Luce of course, which I think I'll post up when she's back on the road.

Philip Lee
17-08-06, 10:02 AM
err any stories re selling of Soarer & DC2R??

:wink:

Sp33dY
17-08-06, 10:57 AM
More importantly, Id love to hear about your "fondest memory" with one of your past/current cars .. and which of the cars you've owned have you enjoyed the most --- enjoyment doesnt mean its the fastest!

Philip Lee
17-08-06, 11:45 AM
More importantly, Id love to hear about your "fondest memory" with one of your past/current cars .. and which of the cars you've owned have you enjoyed the most --- enjoyment doesnt mean its the fastest!

i'd say it is the Mx5 :twisted:

Kikkoman
17-08-06, 05:08 PM
We need more of these threads!

This ones awesome!

Babalouie
17-08-06, 05:41 PM

i'd say it is the Mx5 :twisted:

Yeah, I have to say that for many years I yearned over my AE86 (after all I sold it in 1997). However the best car I have ever owned in every sense is the MX5. It is every bit as dynamic as the AE86, but I guess in my case I've developed and modded the MX5 a lot more than I did with the AE86....also the MX5's ownership period coincided with a new job that took me to Japan at least once a year, so the MX5 is festooned with some really tasty JDM bits, which just adds to the enjoyment :D

As for fond memories, speaking of AE86:

One day, my mate Reon who used to work at East Coast Suspensions rings me up, and tells me that they have some AE86 parts they could sell me. Ok, so I drive on down to have a look.

It turns out that a customer of theirs couldn't pay, and just gave them a whole trailerload of parts in payment. I looked over the whole lot, and this is what there was:

- 1 full set of TRD height adjustable coilovers with 8/6 race springs. Brand new, boxed.
- 1 pair rear TRD shocks, road-spec
- 2 complete TRD 2 way LSDs, one brand new, one used but rebuilt.
- 1 LSD, partial and missing some parts.
- 2 sets of TRD crownwheel and pinion.
- 1 pair Group A brake discs and hats
- 1 lightweight Ap Racing Group A caliper
- box of misc rose jointed TRD racing suspension arms (only enought o make one corner sadly)
- pair of TRD Group A steering arms, which are shimmable for angle to adjust bump steer.

Reon said "you can have the lot for $1500." :shock:

Needless to say, $1500 changed hands right there and then. Back in the day, Toyota Team Australia dominated the under 1600 class in Group A, and when Group A was cancelled and replaced by Super Touring and the V8 Taxis, the racing team had a big garage sale.....and a lot of the stuff was purchased by the team crew. One of those guys ran into money problems and hey presto, all that stuff was given to East Coast for the princely sum of $1500.

The coilovers were way too stiff for my road car so I sold them, and the brand new LSD. I actually used the used LSD in my AE86, because it had the Bathurst diff gears on it. So I've always thought that my LSD was the one in TTA's AE86 that won Bathurst. Cool huh? :D

Babalouie
17-08-06, 06:11 PM
err any stories re selling of Soarer & DC2R??

:wink:

Hmm...not really. The Soarer just sat and sat and sat unsold for months and at the end I just spent a day driving it from car dealer to car dealer and sold it to the one who offered the most cash.

The DC2R sold to a fellow member of the Honda Car Club, who worked in a car dealership. Now this was unpleasant. These burly guys came out of the dealership to appraise the car, and it was like "this has had a smash up the front", "it's been repainted here so that's a worry" :(

Anyway, a good friend is a panelbeater, so I know what I am talking about and just stood my ground and challenged them on every little thing they picked up. The "overspray" was polish, the "nose damage" was just well...made up :) And I wouldn't let them leave until they retracted everything.

In the end, they backed away, hands in the air saying "ok, ok, the car is perfect, alright?" Which I think the buyer didn't want to hear... :)

Then the fun and games began :)

The buyer was a salesman at the dealership, and was going to finance the car. Anyway, as we all know, dealerships can sometimes be fast to get your signature and take your money but slow to actually give you the car :) Anyway, they made all kinds of mistakes in filling out the payment details and lease documentation, which meant that there was a delay until the bank refunded the money, etc.

Typically, they put the pressure on me...

I faxed them my bank details, and they paid the money into the wrong a/c...so I said, "no money, no car!" and refused to give them the car. So they kept ringing, and ringing me, hammering me and saying things like how it was sooo unfair that the buyer's salary was already being deducted for the cost of the car but he couldn't enjoy it...how I was being sooo unreasonable.

It all came to a head, and there was a tense conference call, with me, and about 6 of the guys from the dealership, including the dealer principal. They said:

"Look, it's your fault for faxing us the wrong bank a/c details..."
"How's that?"
"Well, there's obviously something wrong with your fax."
"How do you know there's something wrong with my fax?"
"Well, there is a number that is smudged out on the fax, and it's been written over in pen."

Ok, now let's think about this for a second :D :D

"What colour is the pen?"
"Blue..."

Now think about it...have you figured it out yet? :)

"Ahem." :D "If the fax is written over in blue ink pen, then obviosuly it must be YOUR fax that is busted, not mine? What did you think I did? Drive over to your office and manually correct the fax printout in pen myself?"

Pause.

Long Pause.....

Then some un-named burly guy picks up the phone and yells "Look! Just give us the car, alright?" In the background, you can hear the dealer principal say "you useless wankers, you're on your own, I'm leaving" :D

To cut a long story short, I park the DC2R in my in-law's house, and 6 weeks later, I ring them up at 10.30pm on a Friday night to say that hey, I've finally seen the money in my bank a/c :D The guy comes over at midnight to pick up the car :D He says:

"Geez, you're a hard man."
"Well, listen. If I didn't hang on to the car for so long, do you think you would have spent the time sorting out the payment so quickly? Or would it have been 16 weeks instead of 6?"
"Umm.....yeah, fair enough I guess" :D :D

RX4
17-08-06, 06:30 PM
haha you're good, really good :D but i can't understand why you attract these poofs every single time 8)

Babalouie
17-08-06, 06:37 PM
haha you're good, really good :D but i can't understand why you attract these poofs every single time 8)

Yeah, it's a mystery to me too :)

The ONLY car I have ever sold (out of 11) that was under anything near normal circumstances was my wife's EK Civic CXi.

A chick came to look at it, said that it was so much better than her POS Astra, then her cousins who were mechanics came to look over it, said it was ace, she gave me a cheque, I gave her the keys.

....kinda boring really :D

Powizzle
17-08-06, 07:25 PM
Wow.. haha.

This was really really entertaining LOL :)

Sell your mx-5 and buy another so the story can continue!!!

rodent
17-08-06, 07:30 PM
We need more of these threads!

This ones awesome!
x2! :D
*sits quietly and listens*

Roadster
17-08-06, 09:46 PM
More MORE!!!!

milkman
17-08-06, 10:21 PM
Fark selling your car pirvately is a joke especially enthusiast orientated vehicles.

exquisit
18-08-06, 12:40 AM
haha
all these stories are gold!!
keep them coming!!

Babalouie
18-08-06, 01:09 AM
More MORE!!!!

Ummm...ok, well let's see.

Ok, remember how I said I popped the engine in the DR30 and rebuilt it in the carport? Ahhh, well it was a bit more involved than that.

When preparing a car for racing, one of the first things to do is to ensure that it will live a long and happy life on the track. Fitting an oil temp gauge showed that the oil heated up real quick when you were on it (even on the street), so I made sure that one of the first mods was some sort of cooling improvement.

I so I went and got this massive 25 row oil cooler, with braided lines. A trip to see my mate Joe at SSS Automotive netted a Trust thermatic oil cooler sandwich plate from a stricken ex-race FJ20 motor. Bewdy.

So I went home to get it all fitted. Now, remember that the DR30 engine bay looks like this:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/DR30Bay.jpg
See how the plug wires go below the inlet manifold? Both the oil filter and the distributor live UNDERNEATH the inlet manifold and are right next to each other, unseen by normal eyes. You can only get at it from under the car, and because of the crossmember, only from behind, sticking your arm up next to the gearbox. So unless you're Kareem Abdul Jabbar, you can only get like a finger or two onto the actual dizzy. I dunno what freaking comedian at Nissan thought this was a good idea...when you get the dizzy cap off (not so easy with just the two fingertips that can reach it), you realise that the rotor button is held in with a tiny, teeny phillips screw. Getting that out is a contortionists nightmare that leaves your arms scratched and you neck aching for days. Anyway...

I confidently fit the Trust plate, with the shiny new bling-bling braided elbow fittings poking out of it. What I didn't know, was the braided fittings snagged on this bit of metal that poked out of the dizzy. As I tightened it, it rotated the dizzy, advancing it to 30 degrees BTDC!

The moment it came on boost....KABOOM!

Righto. I decide to rebuild the engine myself (not sure why this seemed like a good idea at the time, as I hadn't done anything nearly that ambitious before). The DR30 layout actually is quite conducive to this, since the crossmember is more or less out of the way, so you can just remove the head, drop the sump, unbolt the conrods from underneath, and just push the pistons out of the engine from below...that way you don't have to remove the engine at all....well that was the theory anyway :D

What a freaking shitfight :D Two weekends later, every finger was busted and bleeding, every knuckle had no skin on it and I was prone to throwing spanners at the engine and swearing a lot at the car....EVERYTHING was difficult. To remove the distributor, you need to remove the manifold stay. To remove the manifold stay, you need to remove the alternator stay, the alternator, remove the belt, ashtray, stereo, rear suspension, etc etc etc. So what takes 30 secs on a 4AGE takes all day on a Nissan. If you have ever worked on a GTR, it's even worse (eg to replace the upper wishbone bushes you need to remove the ABS actuator unit for starters) so Nissan's are just like this, I think.

But in the end, the engine was together. But it wouldn't start. A lot of head scratching later it turns out that the idle stepper motor pipe came off, so it was sucking air thru that and bypassing the AFM. So no starty...typically, this gadget is hidden on the side of the block, under the inlet manifold (why did they put everything under there?), instead of next to the throttle body like EVERY OTHER CAR EVER MADE IN HISTORY. So it took me, and a SSS Automotive mechanic 3 hours to work this out, and fix it.

Phew. After that, she started on the button, and my tears of joy mingled with pools of oil and coolant on the carport floor. But there was a loud whine....it varied with revs, and the diagnosis by most was that the oil pump was screwed. Now, on an FJ20, the oil pump is built into the cast alloy timing cover, which is a $1500 part all by itself. So now ppl were telling me that I might, just might, have gone to the effort of rebuilding a motor that is about to end up on the junkpile anyway...

Ohferchrissake.

Taking a deep breath, I decided to....start again. Down goes the sump, and low and behold...there's gobs of goo stuck in the oil filter pickup. Then it dawned on me. To push the pistons out from underneath, I had used bamboo chopsticks and a hammer. The bamboo is soft, so can't damage any of the metal surfaces. I remember congratulating myself on this piece of genius. I also discovered this fantastic product called Hylomar Aero Grade. It was a semi-soft sealer that helped the gaskets seal and avoid leaks. I used half a tube of the stuff, and gave myself a pat on the back cos the newly built engine didnt so much as leak a single molecule of oil or coolant.

...and now...bits of broked bamboo had mixed in with gobs of surplus Hylomar, and this was rolled up in a big ball, and was blocking the oil filter pipe! I unstuck it and the noise went away. Hoo-rah :)

I gently ran her in, and after sufficient kays were done, gave her a bootful. ...

Um....hm....where did all the power go? A run on the dyno showed that she had lost 20rwkw from her past peak. She was sluggish and slow to come on boost....I spent whole weekends going over and over the whole rebuild again. Consulting mechanics, taking other FJ20 owners for drives....nothing. Compression figures were great, perfectly even, so there was nothing obviously wrong, and the new pistons were bedding in well.

After spending a few weekends trying to work it out, I was at my wits end. Pushing the car off the nearest cliff was starting to look like a good solution. As a last resort, I rang an FJ20 rally engine builder.

"Kev, what ignition timing you running?"
"Erm....10BTDC"
"Aha! That's your problem....it should be 20."

Now, those of you who have mucked around with turbo cars might find this really, really hard to believe. 20BTDC is a hell of a lot of advance, and I would have thought that this would have been a passport to pinging and destruction.

But anyway, what did I have to lose....I adjusted it to 20, and GEEZ! She nearly melted the tarmac screaming out of the carport! After weeks and weeks of tormenting me....she was finally flying like she should always have been!

And it was at THAT point, that a mate of mine said:
"Err...Kev?....Nah, hang on, dont worry about it..."
"C'mon...spit it out."
"Nah you don't wanna know."
"SPIT IT OUT!!"
"Er....have you ever looked under the bonnet? There's this sticker that says....IGNITION 20BTDC."

Oh snap....so it did! After that....the car HAD to go. It clearly didn't like me on some karmic level :D :D Since then I've rebuilt two more engines....well when I say "rebuild" I mean "give it to a professional and then write them a cheque" :D A man's gotta know his limitations....

Adam
22-08-06, 09:24 PM
But in the end, the engine was together. But it wouldn't start. A lot of head scratching later it turns out that the idle stepper motor pipe came off, so it was sucking air thru that and bypassing the AFM. So no starty...typically, this gadget is hidden on the side of the block, under the inlet manifold (why did they put everything under there?), instead of next to the throttle body like EVERY OTHER CAR EVER MADE IN HISTORY. So it took me, and a SSS Automotive mechanic 3 hours to work this out, and fix it.

When I bought my DR30 (unregistered, it hadnt had anything done for 15 year compliance) it was running like a pig. Didn't idle, made very loud whooshing noises when it would finally get on boost and was running really really really rich. It sat under the carport for a couple of months until I realised that I'd be starting law school very soon so I might want to get it registered while I still had some spare time outside of fulltime work. Got all the things that needed doing done, driving it around on permits and it was still running like crap, but getting it registered was my first priority. Finally got it on the road, drove it between work and uni for a week then decided that enough was enough, I was going to fix whatever was making it run so badly.

We decided it was most likely a vacuum leak or a leak after the airflow meter. So I pulled all the intake piping out, siliconed anything that looked dodgy, then it still wouldnt run. Maybe its the tiny exhaust that the guy i bought it from had had made up to go through the roadworthy (I'm talking seriously small, 1.5 inch at the most). So we ripped that off and chucked on the 3 inch HKS catback (but forgot to get new exhaust rubbers so we hung it with thick hd cableties, which I think are still in it today lol) but it still wasn't right. It did sound awesome when I started it with no exhaust fitted behind the cat, while the cat was over the pit in a tin shed, gosh it was loud hahah.

Eventually we made up a plug that could fit into the intercooler piping that had a fitting so that we could hook the air compressor up to it, and we decided we'd put 4psi through the intercooler piping and see if there was a leak somewhere. We could hear a whooshing sound faintly but it wasn't in the cooler piping. After an hour of trying to find where this whooshing was coming from, it was that stupid bloody pipe under the inlet manifold, it wasnt connected at all :x

4 hours to find this bloody pipe. You just cant see anything in those engine bays, even changing the alternator will make you pull your hair out

CoffeeBoss
22-08-06, 10:17 PM
This is a hugely entertaining thread. I'd just like to point out the obvious. Thanks for sharing the stories, babs, et. al.

Adam, your story reminds me of a friend of mine, Josh, who did a rebuild on his '83 Exa. The CA18DET has a notorious reputation for being an exceptionally loud engine. I won't paste the whole story here - i still have the hugely entertaining email Josh sent me, but an excerpt, if i may. After conducting the rebuild in the underground car park under his place, Josh tries turning the engine over, which terminates at the end of his new extractors. So, no muffler. It backfires once, and after a few more cranks, turns over, and Josh realises that the enormous backfire has just heard was the sound of a cylinder firing once, as the engine erupts with an idle so loud it makes his eyes water. After checking for leaks, well, in his words:
"I roll out from under the car and at the mouth of the driveway I can see 4 sillouettes. I shut off the car and
look over again - they're coming this way. It's the workmen from next door. They've stopped their
jackhammering to "see what all the noise was". I'll say it again. They stopped what they were jackhammering
directly in front of them, to see what was making all the noise 50 metres away through 10 feet of garage
cement. I rest my case.
Needless to say, they wanted to know "What the hell engine I'd put in that beast!", along with various other
comments. tempted to spin some "2500 HP drag car engine bought at auction and retro-fitted to an 1989
nissan exa" story, I decided to tell them the truth. They didn't believe me, but eventually got bored and went back to their quiet jackhammering."

Anyhoo, not mine, but another funny Nissan Rebuild story....do we need a new thread?!

Meanwhile, back on the topic:
Babs - any Luce stories yet? This would be your latest acquisition, yes?

felixR
22-08-06, 11:01 PM
great thread.. love the stories.. love em! :)

Babalouie
22-08-06, 11:57 PM
After an hour of trying to find where this whooshing was coming from, it was that stupid bloody pipe under the inlet manifold, it wasnt connected at all :x

4 hours to find this bloody pipe. You just cant see anything in those engine bays, even changing the alternator will make you pull your hair out
Ahaha...ok now I don't feel so silly anymore :D

Babs - any Luce stories yet? This would be your latest acquisition, yes?

Ya, she is the latest acquisition. Hmmm.....let me see...oh BTW Nissan rebuilding is never funny :)

Well, I bought the thing on impulse really. I saw the ad in Unique cars, thought "hey, that's the last ever rotary VIP car" and rather unwisely went down to Jap Performance to see it. Of course when I saw it, I was immediately consumed by a desire to save such a rare slice of JDMness and so presto, I bought it. I mean, at one end of the spectrum, you have dished Watanabes, Teins, stripped interiors and drift LSDs, and at the other end of the JDM spectrum, your JDM grandad would probably drive a Luce: burgundy pimp interior, fridge on the parcel shelf, electric reclining rear seats, separate rear cabin aircon, self-swivelling aircon vents, you name it, the car has got it.

This Luce was the rare top-line Royal Classic version, and of the 2000 or so rotary turbo Luces made, only 300 were Royal Classic, and of those, only 150 had the rare fridge option (a pretty dumb idea really, since it only holds a sixpack and takes up a 1/3 of the boot). So it was rare, it was pure JDM, and I didn't have a chance.

I'd always wanted to sample a rotary to see what the fuss is all about (I mean, rotary freaks are second only to Grateful Dead fans in their fanaticism), and the asking price was only $3500. Cheaper than an RX7 I thought, and with 4 seats for my sons to go cruising with me. Also, a brief test drive showed that it had alarming amounts of grunt, and it was faster than a FC RX7 turbo convertible that I had driven a few weeks before....so at the time it wasn't such a dumb decision...or so I thought! :)

Sure it needed a bit of work, it also had a full service history, and given the gruntfest that ensued when you planted your right foot, I was convinced that it was a good 'un. So I bought it, paid the $1500 to have it complied, got it rego'd and I was brapping down the road...

My first inkling that something was wrong, was when I tried to start it, it made cranking noises, and nothing happened. Getting back on the internet showed that this is actually a well known RX7 thing, and the fix is well documented:

http://www.lemmings.com/mark/rx7flood.htm

Well the Cliff Notes version is that the engine floods easily when it gets old, and the fix is to unplug the fuel pump, crank the engine to pump out the flooded fuel, remove the spark plugs, squirt oil into the combustion chambers, put new spark plugs in, re-plug the fuel pump, cross your fingers, arms and legs and then crank the crap out of the starter with your foot to the floor.

This whole process takes about 20-30mins, unless of course it is dark, you have no light, you forgot the special syringe for squirting the oil (so you have to use an old bit of garden hose), and the engine bay is red hot so you burn yourself. Oh, in THAT case it takes over an hour. With luck, it will cough smokily to life and after revving the fcuk out of it stone cold for 4 mins, you have a 50% chance of it holding a steady idle.

If it stalls, or if it doesn't actually start within 5 cranks in the first place, then go right back to Step 1 and start again :D And oh yes, I should also mention that Mazda chooses to fit a tiny battery to the car, so after a few mins of cranking it goes dead and you're well and trully stuffed.

After this has happened to you a few times, your glovebox is full of dead spark plugs and in the morning when you go to start your car, your hand starts to shake as you reach for the key. And after spending 90 mins stranded by the side of the road in the dark, you start to seriously contemplate the unofficial 7th step: Push Car Off Cliff :D

So I took the car to have a compression test, which has to be done using this special Mazda testing machine which records compression in each of the 3 combustion chambers for each rotor. Anyway word is the engine is stuffed. Minimum compression is 95psi (yes, much lower than a piston engine) and I had all of 65psi.

Rebuild time.

Now a little history about the car. It was bought new from Mazda Saitama (if Toyko is Sydney, then Saitama is Gosford) and lived there all its life, being serviced at least once a year by its two previous owners. But...at some point, a coolant hose popped off, and it overheated. Somebody in JDMland then poured in what must have been a dozen bottles of Barrs Leaks and hoped for the best.

The car still ran, but overheating is death for rotaries and so the damage was done. It became hard to start, and evidence of this was in the mismatched spark plugs, all of which were only finger tight. Some genius in JDMland then filled the radiator with tap water rather than coolant. So what was probably a well maintained and well loved ride ended up being unloved and shipped over to Oz for wrecking...and that's where muggins here comes in.

Upon disassembly, the radiator water was the colour of coffee, and the engine was so clogged with glug in the water jacket that there were literally handfuls of brown powder in there. The rotor housings were gouged and the water seals on the verge of blowing.

So much for full service history! :)

At the moment, where we are is that the Luce has been at my mechanic, John Edwards (veteran rotary engine builder for 30 years) for over 2 mths while we get all the parts together to rebuild her right. Upgraded racing apex seals from the US, brand new Mazda rotor housings, side plates cryotuff'd, machined and re nitrided, new loom plugs and connectors, restored radiator and injectors...oh, and a T04 turbo and 2800rpm stall convertor :D :D

She should be back on the road in the next few weeks and the story will continue....rather than the usual drift/circuit whore, I'm gonna give drag racing a whirl :D :D

Trolls Royce
23-08-06, 06:23 PM
For all you've spent you probably could have bought a nice white FC, only in need of a little paint and panel work :)

Babalouie
23-08-06, 07:10 PM
For all you've spent you probably could have bought a nice white FC, only in need of a little paint and panel work :)

"Nice white FC"? Can I have a guarantee that, when the wind blows, the paint will not surreptitiously peel off? :D

Trolls Royce
23-08-06, 07:42 PM
Come on dude, don't be like that....

Paint is only extra weight... :)

denka
23-08-06, 08:41 PM
i've been thoroughly entertained, you write so well. Hope to read more soon!

Babalouie
23-08-06, 09:33 PM
Come on dude, don't be like that....

Paint is only extra weight... :)

:D:D

Babalouie
24-08-06, 02:00 AM

BTW, sell me your Teins :D :D

Babalouie
24-08-06, 07:49 PM
Here's another one I just remembered.

A friend of mine's family drove a Peugeot 505 station wagon for many years. Now, they are not car ppl, in fact if anything they are anti-car ppl and so the poor old dented 505 (which can take heaps of abuse) was a perfect fit for them.

I actually quite like these things, they are really long, 7 seat, have really soft, comfy seats that you just sink into, and the suspension has like a whole foot of travel, so it's one of those cars where you can go over speed humps at any speed and not feel anything at all. It's no fireball, with only 70kw but it had low revving torque, so it always reminded me of a long-striding bushwalker in a way. In fact, they're super popular in Africa, where they can take decades of abuse over pockmarked, cratered desert roads and come back for more.

Anyway, my mate was driving me around in it and I'm noticing that he is going back to his house in a rather weird roundabout way.

"Why are we taking such a detour?"
"Well, we have to go this way since there's a big hill if we go the normal way."
"So?"
"This car doesn't like hills."
"Huh?"
"Well, it isn't very powerful, and if you try to go up the steep hill, it'll just stop."
"That doesn't sound right....floor it."
"It's floored!"
"So....60km/h is all that this car does?"
"Well...a bit more if it's downhill."

Anyway, it turns out that the car actually has had an engine rebuild by a Peugeot *cough* specialist. It came back with bugger-all power and they've taken it back for tuning heaps of times. All to no avail except that their wallet was lighter.

So they just gave up and lived with it....which entailed planning journeys to avoid hills, including the one in front of their house. This went on for YEARS :D

Anyway, I tell him to drop by on the weekend and we'll see what we can do. I didn't have any realistic expectation that I'd actually be able to fix it, but hey, if there was some sort of mechanical mayhem going on in there then I figured it would be a chuckle to have a look at it.

So there it was, sitting on the driveway with the bonnet up, and I've got my can of trusty Carburettor Cleaner, which fixes pretty much about anything (and it also is about as far as I was actually willing to take the exercise!).

Take apart the air box, remove the ducting, then there is this elbow thingy over the carby....and....well gee, how about that....

Sitting inside the carby, lodged into the venturi was a 8mm-headed bolt, and it looked like it had been in there for some time! I just removed it and chucked it in the bin, put it all back together and went for a test drive. It felt pretty damn good, and I was revving the crap out of it to clean the plugs. Then my mate took over and we drove around for about an hour and he couldn't stop giggling :D

The icing on the cake was when his Mum rang me and thanked me that they could now just drive up the hill to their house instead of taking that dumb detour :D

EGG80X
24-08-06, 08:12 PM
hehehe 505 didnt they use them for rally at one stage?

denka
24-08-06, 11:22 PM
haha i'm gunna buy your biography babs

Babalouie
25-08-06, 03:05 AM
hehehe 505 didnt they use them for rally at one stage?

Yes they certainly did. Dunno why though, setting up a Tarago for drifting makes more sense but there you go:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/505r15.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/david3-ecur-03.jpg

'Cos when you look at the stock std sexy beast it doesn't exactly shout "race me" :D (remember that huge long thing only has 70kw to push it along!)
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/505V6Front1.jpg

But some crazy Norwegian guy even drifts his in comps:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/dori2.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/dori.jpg

Go figure :D :D

After our little fixit session, my mate Steve got all enthusiastic about fixing up the 505, and so he came back the next weekend with a new Haynes manual, new spark plugs, air filter, leads, points, etc. I guess he thought that if the previous weekend could quadruple the power output, then surely a second weekend of fixing would see the power rise to GTR-baiting levels :D

Anyway, it's yet another car I'll never want to work on again. Everything is super fiddly, like the points gap which is adjusted by a threaded rod, and how the clutch fluid can only be bled by a weird french "reverse bleeding" method. You run a tube from the passenger side brake caliper to the clutch slave cylinder, open the bleed nipples for both, then start pumping the brake pedal, the idea being that you use the brake fluid pressure to force new fluid upwards thru the clutch system from the bottom up. After a while, bubbly fluid starts to come up in the reservoir.

Interesting...but the catch was that the brake and clutch master cylinders share the same reservoir, so....after a while the bubbly fluid gets sucked into the brake system and you end up with air in the lines of both the clutch and the brake.

It is at that point that you conclude that the French are wankers and you just end up doing it the normal way :D

Philip Lee
25-08-06, 10:27 AM
haha i'm gunna buy your biography babs

second that :lol:

Babalouie
03-09-06, 12:19 AM
After almost 3mths of waiting, the mighty rotary is almost ready to brap again! :)

Here's the starting point. It begins with one of the end housings bolted to an engine stand, and facing up. The middle and other-end housings can be seen below, along with Misty The Rotary Wonder Dog (and Friend!).
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture001.jpg

The bottom layer of the "stack". The ashen/grey colour is from the nitriding process, which is necessary to re-harden the surface after machining it smooth again (the end and intermediate housings are recycled). Nice, lovely smooth surface :D The traingular hole is the intake port, there are 2 per rotor, and there are no valves!
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture002.jpg

Here are the beautiful rotor housings, brand new from Mazda. The inner surface may look dull, but it's actually a chrome-plated surface. After a bit of use it will become almost like a mirror finish. You can see in the housing on the right, the spark plug holes. The bottom plug is fully exposed, while the top plug is shielded behind that little hole. The top (or trailing) plug is mainly there for emissions, and only fires half as often as the main plug:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture003.jpg

It now begins...white grease is smeared into the grooves for the water seal. They basically look like long rubber bands, and the grease is to ensure that they stay stuck in their groove during assembly. If the seals fail, coolant will flood the rotor chambers and it'll be sayonara.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture005.jpg

This is the oil control ring.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture008.jpg

Pressing it into the rotor....it's important, since it stops oil from the eccentric shaft/bearings to get into the combustion chamber.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture006.jpg

Babalouie
03-09-06, 12:35 AM
The rotor is plopped on the stack, and the eccentric shaft carefully lowered into place. Jim Beam FTW!! :D An interesting bit of trivia is that for every engine rpm, the rotor only spins 1/3 of a turn. So at 9000rpm, the rotors are only turning at 3000rpm, one reason why rotaries are so smooth and unstressed feeling.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture010.jpg

The 1st rotor housing is lowered into place:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture012.jpg

Here's a close up of how it fits together....the apex seals are not yet in at this stage. Also visible are the grooves for the side seals, which are long, arched seals which seal the side of the rotor from leaking combustion pressures.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture013.jpg

Now the apex seals go in. They are US-made Rotary Aviation 2mm seals, and you can see the little leaf spring that pushes the seal outwards. A second, smaller spring is inserted in a second...at the left of the pic you can see the big thick dowel, one of four, which hold the plates of the stack in alignment.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture015.jpg

Repeat the above for the other rotor:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture021.jpg

The completed stack. The 4 oval holes are the intake ports, the big round ones at the bottom are the exhaust ports. The turbo is virtually just bolted to the side of the block via a short manifold. This is one reason why rotaries work so well with turbos, each exhaust pulse gets a straight, short, uninterrupted shot right into the mouth of the turbo. Remember that there is no valve, or convoluted cylinder head to navigate. Also unlike a piston engine, which has to meter the exhaust pulse carefully (via the timing of the exhaust cam), a rotor just boots the exhaust pulse out, just like that. On the left hand port, you can see the apex seal, which gives you an idea of how short a distance the exhuast pulses have to go before making sweet, sweet love to the turbo turbine wheel.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture027.jpg

Babalouie
03-09-06, 12:46 AM
The whole stack is then bolted together using these really long bolts:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture023.jpg

As you can see, there are a lot of 'em!
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture025.jpg

This hole shows the rotor, and notice those funny gear teeth...a stationary gear will be bolted into place, around which the rotor will travel.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture029.jpg

Stationary gear bolted in, and we're done!
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture031.jpg

Thanks a lot to veteran rotary engine builder John Edwards for inviting me to watch my own engine coming together. I was really surprised at how few moving parts are inside a rotary, and from start to finish, this series of pics took no more than 45mins (which included gasbagging to the beer and Jim Beam drinking spectators as you can see).

Tomorrow the manifolds, sump, turbo, IC etc will be bolted on, and the engine can go back in the car! Can't wait...

s30
03-09-06, 04:00 AM
Top write up!
Your post has now made me feel I can make my own rotary engine out of empty beer cans and chopsticks.(not a comment on the quality of the engine but of the process).

Shall report back tomorrow on progress.

felixR
03-09-06, 05:19 AM
great update! can't wait now :)

Babalouie
04-09-06, 10:55 PM
Okee dokes :) Day 2 of the Rebuild....

I went to the workshop today and was greeted by this sight:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture036.jpg

The engine is in, the turbo and exhaust manifold is on, but the top half of the engine (inlet manifold, intercooler, loom, injectors etc) are yet to go in. That gadget on the right hand side of the sump is an oil level indicator. A buzzer goes off if you get low.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture033.jpg

Hello Mr Turbo! Not much to see I guess, but you can see that the lip of the inducer is thinner, becos it's been machined away to fit the T04 compressor wheel. It's got a 56mm T04 H trim compressor, larger dia shaft, 360 degree bearing, ported wastegate and enlarged exhuast housing. Should be good for 220rwkw, when I get the Haltech wired in, front mount, and bigger fuel pump and injectors (one day....long time away). Nice shiny rebuilt turbo....mmm....goody goody :D
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture034.jpg

Now this is a rotary-ism that you won't find on a piston engine. It's the Oil Metering Pump (OMP), which takes some of the oil from the oil pump and squirts it into the combustion chamber at 4 points (thru those hoses) to lubricate the seals. So that's why rotaries use so much oil. It isn't bad sealing or anything, it's intentional and about a litre of oil is injected in and burned off in a thousand kays of driving. It takes a feed from the oil pump and a valve is hooked up the throttle body, so it only goes max-squirtage at WOT. Some rotary heads remove it altogether and believe that it's more efficient to pour some 2 stroke oil into the fuel instead.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture035.jpg

Here's one of the guys who did my engine, Leon. He flew around Australia in a rotary-engined plane he built himself :D He's a rotary technician so I can't show you his face on television :D
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture038.jpg

The stock dump pipe, which is now smaller than the now-enlarged turbo exhaust outlet. It'll be replaced by a proper 3in dump when the car's all run in.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture039.jpg

Hmmm....you think maybe the cat needs replacing? That funny plate in front looks non-restrictive too :D
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture041.jpg

[ekkY]
05-09-06, 12:04 PM
1 crazy machine

Justin Fox
05-09-06, 12:43 PM
LOL the cat!!! Damn!

Babalouie
05-09-06, 01:58 PM
LOL the cat!!! Damn!
Yeah I figure that funny plate in front must do something...it's the parts of the cat which aren't shielded by it which are wasted :)

project2
05-09-06, 07:12 PM
cats are for wussies! you dont need one ;)

but yeah love the build on your rotary totally awesome stuff! so did you make it a bridgey? ;)

i want to hear some brap brap action :D

from that angle i can't see if its been ported.. please tell me it has :d

Babalouie
05-09-06, 07:23 PM
cats are for wussies! you dont need one ;)

but yeah love the build on your rotary totally awesome stuff! so did you make it a bridgey? ;)

i want to hear some brap brap action :D

from that angle i can't see if its been ported.. please tell me it has :d

Nope, no porting. My engine builder basically said that, for my engine, any money spent on porting (about $600) would be much better spent upgrading the turbo instead. In Japan, they mainly leave the ports alone and work the turbo, like say the RE-Amemiya D1 car, so in hindsight that's really, really good advice.

Bridgey? Yeah right, like *that's* gonna work with a 1520kg, automatic car :D:D

Babalouie
05-09-06, 11:38 PM
Day 3 of the Rebuild :D

Here's what the engine bay looked like this morning. You'd think that the little rotary would be lost in the huge Luce engine and to a certain extent it is (look how low and far back it sits...there's maybe a whole foot between the block and the top of the firewall), but actually that's what makes it hard to work on....the high sides and deep 'bay mean that working on the engine is a back breaking pain. You can also see from this shot, that the car was originally gold (in fact, 2 two tone champagne gold metallic over silver...eeew). It got a colour change in Japan to charcoal metallic black at one point, and in true JDM style the engine bay is left the old colour:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture042.jpg

Here's what a rotary spark plug looks like, no electrode!
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture043.jpg

Std dump pipe with new NGK O2 sensor:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture046.jpg

Restored radiator in place, and notice the rather large oil cooler underneath it. Oil is squirted into the centre of the rotor to cool it, hence rotaries come with mega oil cooling as stock, out of necessity:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture047.jpg

When I left, John was expecting the injectors to come back from the cleaners any minute, and for new injector loom plugs to arrive. Then he'd start on the manifolds and he reckons it's a good chance the car will be running tomorrow :D

Hehe...pics to come :D

Babalouie
07-09-06, 11:07 PM
Day 4 of the Rebuild :)

Nothing much to report today, the water pump is on, the injectors and when I left all of the coolant and fuel hoses were on and most of the loom. What's left is the top half of the inlet manifold, the emmissions air pump, throttle body and AFM and that should be ready to start.

Anyway, a few pics of the progress:
New fuel hoses, injector loom plugs and ultrasonically cleaned injectors....the little daubs of yellow paint are from the builder. When he torques up a bolt or nut, he painstakingly daubs it with paint, so that he can tell which bolts are tight and which are not.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture055.jpg

New coolant hoses and brass fittings:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture054.jpg

The marque of distinction :D
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture057.jpg

Not quite JDM, but also being restored in the same workshop is this 1920's Packard (when are wooden wheels gonna make a comeback?):
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture060.jpg

Very simple front suspension!
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture061.jpg

And when you press the brakes, this thingy rotates, pushing those long rods....
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture062.jpg

Which then push this lever on the front drum brakes:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture059.jpg

...and this lever on the rear drum brakes:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture064.jpg

And that's it! Actually slightly less technology than on a mountain bike!

The head gasket struck me as being a funny shape until I realised that the engine would be sidevalve. Compared to a modern engine, the 2 valves are upside down, facing upwards on the right hand side of the gasket (the "ears" part). It's a copper gasket, which is still used in some areas of competition.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture058.jpg

This is an engine and a half. A straight eight, from another Packard undergoing resto. It's huge, the top of the cylinder head is roughly shoulder height. Check out the generator with its fully-sik cold air intake :D
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture065.jpg

Babalouie
11-09-06, 04:38 PM
The Luce is alive!!

A few things need to be tidyed up before I can take her back, but it'll be ready for tomorrow :) Pics and video will be uploaded when I get home tonite :)

I've already booked her in for the 3in turbo-back 'zaust on Thursday :D :D

Babalouie
11-09-06, 04:40 PM
Dang double post :D

Babalouie
11-09-06, 08:03 PM
Well I went to the workshop this morning, and noticed that the Luce was not in its usual spot inside...

Hark! What's that in the corner outside? Could it be?
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture086.jpg

Could it be possible that she got there under her own power? :D
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture087.jpg

A quick lift of the bonnet unearthed this sight:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture084.jpg

Woohoo! It looks so much neater than the pics a few days ago where the engine bay looks like a pit of unruly snakes with all the crap everywhere :) When I left the workshop on Friday night it looked like this, much neater, now that all the hoses are connected and the wiring loom is clipped into place:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture083.jpg

Overall, my observation has been that the Luce has been a complete pain to work on. While the rotary itself is pretty compact, the manifold, TB and intercooler curl over on top of it, sandwiching the injectors, rails, pollution controls and tons of other stuff in between. If it isn't assembled exactly the right way, the loom won't stretch to reach certain plugs, hoses don't fit, linkages rub and it looks a real mess. Coupled with that, is the fact that the engine bay has tall and deep sides, and the engine sits very low.....so Leon and John did a fantastic job to get it to this state, which is fair enough since they've done over 3000 rotary rebuilds between the 2 of them :D

Here's the moment of truth (vid):
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/th_SANY0075.jpg (http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/?action=view&current=SANY0075.flv)

John started the engine on Sunday and left her to idle for 3hrs, then he took her for a 3hr drive and everything is cool. He just has to tidy a few things up and I pick her up tomorrow :D Thursday she's booked in for the big exhaust, and on the 27th we've got an appointment at WSID with a bunch of Cosmo 20B guys :D

...this is so much fun :D

doofus
11-09-06, 08:10 PM
thats so cooooool babs!!! :D rotary sounds awesome!

btw, is that ur mx5 in that pic?
:D

Babalouie
11-09-06, 08:49 PM

Yup :)

Luc
12-09-06, 03:07 AM
awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

rota powa

lovesil
12-09-06, 05:27 AM

Somehow, i got a feeling i saw your mx5 before. Were you at Liberty Grove a few days or a wk ago??

Babalouie
12-09-06, 08:59 AM

Somehow, i got a feeling i saw your mx5 before. Were you at Liberty Grove a few days or a wk ago??

Don't think it was me....I went to Rhodes a couple of times but in my Mazda6...

lovesil
12-09-06, 01:46 PM

Don't think it was me....I went to Rhodes a couple of times but in my Mazda6...

oh ok! must be another white clubman with white hardtop. :wink:

nath
14-09-06, 08:15 PM
So how is she with the new zorst Babs?

Babalouie
14-09-06, 09:16 PM
So how is she with the new zorst Babs?

No idea :)

I booked her in on Tuesday, explained that we would be requiring a S4 FC RX7 dump pipe, etc. So I turned up this morning (at 8am when they open) thinking that, like any other sports exhaust I have ever had done, they would do it while I wait......then it turns out that they want a full 2 working days to do the job. So it's ready at 5pm tomorrow.

For that amount of time spent (and the $1650 cost!) let's just say that my expectations are extremely high and I will be pissed if it is anything other than the most perfect exhaust ever made in the history of exhausts :D

Watch this space :)

But the car is great to drive! It's my first experience of a hi stall convertor, and it's a great upgrade...it's still running in and I haven't floored it yet of course, but from rest, it revs up and gets off the line much more smartly, and apart from a little more roll-back on a hill start, it doesn't feel particularly "aftermarket". I had a few goes at brake-stalling it with my left foot on the brake, and she spooled up easily to 2500rpm and full boost, so full-on drag starts should be fun :D

nath
14-09-06, 10:43 PM
Sweet! Who's doing the exhaust?

Oh and BTW, I had an almost identical engine to you in my VW! (a white 1970, last of the flat screens/small taillights) It was a Pobjoy 1640cc job, Twin IDA webbers, streetable cam, yadda yadda yadda. Great little engine - but as you said, pitty all of that only gives you bugger-all kw's :P

Babalouie
15-09-06, 12:44 AM
Sweet! Who's doing the exhaust?

Oh and BTW, I had an almost identical engine to you in my VW! (a white 1970, last of the flat screens/small taillights) It was a Pobjoy 1640cc job, Twin IDA webbers, streetable cam, yadda yadda yadda. Great little engine - but as you said, pitty all of that only gives you bugger-all kw's :P

XXXXXX Exhausts in er...XXXXXX. Ahh...Pobjoy. I couldn't afford a Pobjoy 1900 with twin Dells, at the time it was my dream :) I did have a Pobjoy camber compensator and sump extender tho.

Babalouie
20-09-06, 11:36 AM
I'm depressed....

Anyway, what I have got, is an incredibly loud (unbearably so) system. It's beautifully made, and looks great with a huge stainless cannon poking out of the tail, but has a dump pipe that rubs on the steering column (and has burned one of the rubber gaiters to a crisp) and is too "free" so that the turbo overboosts. Safe limit for injectors and fuel pump is 12psi, and while the steady-state boost is fine at 10psi, at 4000rpm the (now unrestricted) exhaust gasses overwhelm the wastegate and the boost flicks past 14psi and rising. And of course I am not willing to risk my brand new engine like that...

So what's needed is a choke in the system (which would also have the happy effect of shutting down the noise), but those guys are unwilling to mess with it. I get the feeling they haven't taken her for a drive yet and so don't believe me, but when I ask for a change, they just suggest this and that "to take the edge off it" but I don't want the "edge" taken off it, I want 90% taken off it! At 3000rpm, which is what you sit on on the freeway, it's absolutely DEAFENING inside.

So I'm kinda depressed...I've spent all this money on the zorst and it's ruined the car....I'm booked in tomorrow for different mufflers to be put on, and I hope they fix it. otherwise it's $1600 down the drain. The thing that gets me is that they're just so unwilling to change it...I asked specifically for a quiet system, they serve me a loud one ("mate, this is a full race system that we normally charge $2400 for") and ignore the fact that it wasn't what I asked for....when I brought up the boost spike issue they suggested that maybe I just had too heavy a right foot?

Bloody hell....it reminds me of why I just love JDM stuff.....bolts on, fits 100%, works 100%, no worries....and no arrogant workshops that don't listen to their customers.

On a positive note, the rotary workshop did a great job, it hasn't missed a beat in the week I've been driving it...

Luc
20-09-06, 09:24 PM
boost spiking has nothing to do with your right foot :(

im sorry buddy...

if I had a shop where I knew i'd be dealing with enthusiasts, such as yourself, I'd never suggest that I knew more than the customer. I'd only offer my advice.

Justin Fox
20-09-06, 10:04 PM
It's funny how when you want it loud, you get soft, when you want it soft, you get loud!

nath
21-09-06, 01:25 AM
ohhhh. That sucks big man.

I empathise 100% with you. - I'm on my 5th exhaust this year thanks to a supposedly 'reputable' exhaust place not being able to get it right either. Too low so it bottoms out, too high so it hits the driveshafts, baffels break, they heat bend the pipe to fix (hide) their stuff up and turn a nice 2.25inch mandrel bend into a 1inch squish.....

And yeah Justin, that is funny isn't it. I asked for mine to be as quiet as possible and when questioned why they weren't going to put a resonator in the mid section (they were putting on a straight through rear muffler) the exhaust shop told me that I had no idea about exhausts because if I did I would know that by putting one in it would make the car louder.... Yep. absolute twats..... suffice to say when they turned the key it was as LOUD as their faces were red.

Once again Babs, sorry to hear this. But hey, at least you're not alone

Babalouie
21-09-06, 12:21 PM
Result!

Well I arrived there this morning and they tried to fob me off again, saying that their mechanic was sick, they had a few cars from the previous day to finish, etc. Can I come back another day?

Anyway, I put my foot down and said that well, this would be the 3rd time I've come all the way to their worshop, only to be turned away and I was very patient in allowing them 3 working days to do my system in the 1st place. Ok, ok they say, we'll do it today. Just leave it with us...then I say that....um, NO, I booked it in as a "while you wait" job and so that is my expectation.

They obviously knew full well that I'd wanted to wait, and so looked quite guilty when I rumbled them on their little white lie, and said, ok, let's put it up on the hoist right now and get it over and done with :-) THEN, I insisted that we go for a little drive. Reluctantly, they washed their hands etc and climbed in for a drive. Within 100m the shocked comment was "gee, that's one hell of a drone, isn't it?" No sh!t Sherlock, that's what I've been trying to tell you all along!

So then up it goes on the hoist for a more restrictive Magnaflow muffler to go on. It's got a big oval body and is an offset design. The result? Bewdiful....it's about 20% of the volume it used to be and the nasty interior boom is almost completely gone, the tone at idle is a nice rotary
"bra-ta-ta-ta-ta" and is maybe just 20% louder than my MX5, there is only a slight boom and at 6000rpm (yes, I know, I'm meant to be taking it easy) it's a nice crisp rotary "gnnnneeeeeaaaaaaa". :D

As for boost spike, well that's much better too. It now builds much less dramatically and stops at 0.8bar. I would be happier with 0.7 since they say that over 0.8 it goes a little lean and so I don't have any headroom for cold nights etc. Anyway I've booked in for a dyno power pull at Dumars next Tuesday. If the AFRs are ok I'll leave it alone, if not I can put in another resonator to stall the exhaust flow a little more.

So I'm a LOT happier today :-)

Pics to follow...anyone wanna buy a 3in stanless cannon muffler? Only used for 1 week... :)

Babalouie
21-09-06, 08:05 PM
Piccies:

New Magnaflow muffler
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture090.jpg

Stainless 3in Cannon noisemaker
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Picture091.jpg

Sp33dY
21-09-06, 08:33 PM
Heheheh @ box .... "unrestricted" ...

Babalouie
21-09-06, 08:49 PM
I only just noticed, but the tip of that cannon is going a nice shade of gold...

Justin Fox
21-09-06, 09:25 PM
Nice one Babs... you keep on stamping that foot down!!!

Babalouie
22-09-06, 06:58 PM
Oh noes :)

I went for a drive last night in the cold crisp air and it screamed up to 0.9bar again (remember, stock boost is 0.4bar, and it's gained 0.5bar from the zorst alone!)

So I call up Race Solutions and they say that 0.7bar is about as far as you want to go on the stock ecu and injectors, since the turbo now has a T04 compressor in it and 0.9bar is miles too much to be safe. So....we're going to try Muffler#3 now (at a different shop obviously) :) This time, it'll be a 3-chambered muffler rather than a straight thru (cannon) or dogleg straight-thru (Magnaflow).

Moral: when it comes to rotaries, only let well-established specialists work on it. Some shops might *say* that they know rotaries but that often is not the case :D Don't get me wrong, the original 'zorst shop made me a beautiful exhaust for a piston car, it's just that on a rotary the results are totally different and somewhat shocking.

Am also going to try removing the K&N pod and refitting the restrictive stock airbox, maybe I can hold the boost back a couple of psi from the front end....geez rotaries have a completely different set of rules but I guess this is why I bought the Luce to learn!

Hmm...anyone want to buy TWO stainless muffler? Only used for a few days at a time :D

Luc
23-09-06, 02:03 AM
i know ur a smart guy and stuff, but, rather than changing exhausts around, why not get an external gate and a new exhaust manifold.

having 3 exhausts done would've cost what a tial gate and manifold would have?

i dunno, maybe im just looking at it from the wrong perspective.

but you'd never get spiking from a tial gate

Babalouie
23-09-06, 10:27 AM
i know ur a smart guy and stuff, but, rather than changing exhausts around, why not get an external gate and a new exhaust manifold.

having 3 exhausts done would've cost what a tial gate and manifold would have?

i dunno, maybe im just looking at it from the wrong perspective.

but you'd never get spiking from a tial gate

External gate IS the answer, but kinda an extreme one, and would be pretty exxy I think, esp since it would mean that the $500 dump pipe I have is useless too, and so would most of the exhaust. Apart from the boost spike issue, the way I see it is that at the end of the day it will be quieter too (it still booms on the freeway). Also I can always sell the mufflers I do have, or at least keep them for a future project...

kula
23-09-06, 10:31 AM
screamer pipe FTW

Dave R
23-09-06, 02:24 PM
i dont know that much... and u might have already done this.. but have u had the ecu done and got'n a new computer put it.. and maybe a boost controller could solve your problems 8)

Hope i made sence and ummm, im gona go know :oops:

hehehe

Babalouie
23-09-06, 08:16 PM
i dont know that much... and u might have already done this.. but have u had the ecu done and got'n a new computer put it.. and maybe a boost controller could solve your problems 8)

Hope i made sence and ummm, im gona go know :oops:

hehehe

Yeah, I do actually have a Haltech E6K for the car when the time is right. The prob is, I would also want to set it up in conjunction with bigger injectors and fuel pump. It's a rotary-thing, but even though it has 4x550cc injectors as std, they max out at about 10psi....so when I do the ecu I'll put in say Sard 800s at that time, but the manifold has to come out to access the injector rails so it's a big job, one I am saving for much later, and it would be a shame if I fitted and tuned the ecu without upgrading the fuel system as well so that I could go crazy with the power...and of course at that stage if I want to crank up the boost, I would also want to fit an external wastegate to give me better control...so yeah, the ecu will be done one day, but it's going to be a big, big job if I'm going to do it right and not take any shortcuts..

Boost controller won't help, since they can only raise boost, not lower it from what the car makes as std.

I spoke to Maroun from Race Solutions yesterday, and he said that at 0.9bar (or 13psi), my T04-wheeled turbo will be trying to make about 200rwkw, and that's heaps beyond what the stock ecu and fuel system will be able to support....he reckoned that 12psi is probably ok for a stock turbo, but since mine moves a lot more air, 8 or 9psi (and 150rwkw) is as far as I'd want to go on a std ecu if I don't want to blow up the new engine.

...since it was hitting 13psi last night, this is a problem... :(

Anyway I was in a mood to experiment and so I removed the K&N pod, and refitted the stock airbox, with its convoluted tubing and resonator box that usually goes in the fender.

The result? ......a nice and stable 8psi! I'll take her out for a proper drive later tonight, but at this point it seems that the problem is FIXED :D

But it drives home the fact that rotaries are definitely a very weird beast to modify. I mean, if you look at it from the other way, putting on a pod will give you 5psi more boost and the engine will lean out and blow :D :D From now on when it comes to rotary tuning I am assuming nothing :)

Luc
24-09-06, 11:16 PM
well, I guess I was trying to suggest what I know would work.

It wasn't anything more than that, and I am glad you've found a solution to your problem.

And if you intend on getting a paint job done, I'll donate like, 20 bucks or something ;)

Babalouie
24-09-06, 11:25 PM
well, I guess I was trying to suggest what I know would work.

It wasn't anything more than that, and I am glad you've found a solution to your problem.

And if you intend on getting a paint job done, I'll donate like, 20 bucks or something ;)

No worries :) And it's not like I'm paying for a whole exhaist system every time, just sawing off the old muffler and welding on a new one :)

t0fuman
03-02-07, 09:54 AM
There's actually a good story about the big pic.

When I sold the car, the guys that came to buy it were these two 18yr old Fast and Furious wannabes. Really cringeworthy. Of course, as I usually do, I play the old "I'm just a gentle driver, I don't believe in thrashing cars" routine :D :D

Anyway these wankers are really bad. They were thrashing the car like crazy, all the time giving me this really wanky attitude, like "bet that's the first time it's been over 4000rpm, eh?" and "Now THAT's how you take a corner!", etc etc. When the guy overtook over double yellow lines with oncoming traffic (that we barely missed), I pulled the pin on the test drive.

When I asked them what they did for a living, they said "We RACE!" Yes, they really, really did say that.

During the test drive they keep commenting on how well the car seems to handle. So I say things like "well, I baby the car and never thrash it. The problem with these cars is that they're driven too hard and are worn out. My car is just for driving from A to B" :) Of course the REAL reason why it handled so well was becos it had 2.5 degrees of negative camber and a bigger rear swaybar, but I kept that to myself.

So they make an offer which I accept, and we go down to my room to do the papework. The guy buying the car is busy looking over the rego slip and the receipt I wrote up for him....while his mate is busy looking at some pics on my bookshelf....a bookshelf that contains lots of pics like the above, with racing numbers on the side, etc and the shelf had trophies and stuff from supersprints, etc. :D

He says "Umm...dude, you better come check this out..."
"Shut up, I'm checking the rego!"
"Dude...I REALLY think you should check this out..."
"Nigga, which part of 'shut up' did you not understand" (or words to that effect) :)

Anyway, the rego signed, the bank cheque in my hand (yoink!), the guy goes over to the bookshelf. They go quiet for about 5mins and leave without saying a word...

hahaha awesome stori...i onli have one word to describe those 2 guys.. "OWNED"

t0fuman
03-02-07, 09:58 AM
and luc i love ur pic wit the police cam thingo hahaha...do u mind if i take a pic of it?

Omawari_San
03-02-07, 10:11 AM
Boost controller won't help, since they can only raise boost, not lower it from what the car makes as std.

My EVC does that. I installed it and maximum boost was around 0,6 bar if I leave it all alone.
At that time I had the boost set to 1,27bar by ecutek.

I think I even can dial less boost then your dialed in "stock" boost. But I am not sure about it.

CaptainColen
02-05-08, 09:00 PM
Great read :)

deez
03-05-08, 12:02 AM
Babs you were my idol before but now, you're my god :cool: First 3 pages were awesome...just catching up on stuff that happened much much earlier was great!

Especially loved the stories behind acquiring/selling each car. There's a little bit about howe you got your 5 in the feature cars section I remember...but is there any more to the story than that? Keen to hear :)

Babalouie
03-05-08, 08:22 PM
Babs you were my idol before but now, you're my god :cool: First 3 pages were awesome...just catching up on stuff that happened much much earlier was great!

Especially loved the stories behind acquiring/selling each car. There's a little bit about howe you got your 5 in the feature cars section I remember...but is there any more to the story than that? Keen to hear :)

The story of the MX5 is here...
http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?t=5132&page=2&highlight=clubman

Not sure if there's much more to tell.....