PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I post in the for sale section?

Justin Fox
05-08-08, 09:39 AM
Just a heads up. Due to some nasty stuff in our classifieds we've bumped up the post count to 100 posts before you can sell something.

VTECMACHINE
05-08-08, 10:56 AM
Great!

JAP96R
05-08-08, 12:47 PM
Hi Justin, is it possible to give access to those who request the use of the 4 sale section if they can prove they have a legitimate item/product to sell?

Unfortunately i guess i fall into the category of a 'non contibuting member' although yourself and others may now who i am, could this be justification for an allowance if you will?

I would have sent a PM but due to the spammers i am unable to do that also. The reason im asking is purely i will be selling my car very soon and hope a forum member may assist with this :) selfish i know!

I dont want to post crap just so i can reach the 100 point limit either as i think the forum deserves better than that, so hence the question regarding the 4 sale section and possibely the use of the PM system aswell?

Shiri
05-08-08, 12:52 PM
Just a heads up. Due to some nasty stuff in our classifieds we've bumped up the post count to 100 posts before you can sell something.

You should cap it at membership period. 100 posts can be achieved in 2 days evident in people like blackjap, skyline, and anyone else who signed up less than a month ago and has more posts than me.

JAP96R
05-08-08, 01:44 PM
Shiri, just so your aware i sold my previous car to another forum member through a post made by my brother inlaw. I know you thought that was not in the best interest of the forum as did other members, and this was an underlying reason why i asked the question.

I hope you can appreciate my situation in that i am stuck between not using my brother inlaw to post and not having the ability (post count) to do so on my own.

As most forum members here are, i only want to abide by the rules and if it is ruled that i cannot post in the 4 sale section or PM until a certain point then so be it. As they say there's no harm in trying and if you don't ask then you won't know!

I'm also aware the amount of wasted time it could take if Justin or the other mods have to sift through every request they receive and i don't wish to appose that apon them either.

J
05-08-08, 01:51 PM
You should cap it at membership period. 100 posts can be achieved in 2 days evident in people like blackjap, skyline, and anyone else who signed up less than a month ago and has more posts than me.

Word. And they are the ultimate nubs...

Shiri
05-08-08, 05:12 PM
Shiri, just so your aware i sold my previous car to another forum member through a post made by my brother inlaw. I know you thought that was not in the best interest of the forum as did other members, and this was an underlying reason why i asked the question.

I hope you can appreciate my situation in that i am stuck between not using my brother inlaw to post and not having the ability (post count) to do so on my own.

As most forum members here are, i only want to abide by the rules and if it is ruled that i cannot post in the 4 sale section or PM until a certain point then so be it. As they say there's no harm in trying and if you don't ask then you won't know!

I'm also aware the amount of wasted time it could take if Justin or the other mods have to sift through every request they receive and i don't wish to appose that apon them either.

I understand where you are coming from. And I also see that you've been a member longer than some of the people who take advantage of our forum which is why I suggested it being capped at dates rather than post counts. It's hard to find a common ground between contributing members using the classifieds to sell things legitimately and those who take advantage of it. The blanket rule of banning those with 100 posts or less is still an effective way IMO.

DrewMan
05-08-08, 05:29 PM
maybe turning off the post count in the off-topic thread off?

that way they have to contribute to other threads instead of artificially bumping their post count?

Knight Rider
05-08-08, 05:58 PM

Word. And they are the ultimate nubs...

This is why I dont post anymore, well hardly.

J - you are the nub.

Andy Wana
05-08-08, 06:03 PM
maybe turning off the post count in the off-topic thread off?

that way they have to contribute to other threads instead of artificially bumping their post count?

Why don't we hide the post count altogether?
It means nothing in the bigger scale of things.

Justin Fox
05-08-08, 06:06 PM
Now now please don't get personal. Shiri/J you're both way out of line by naming people. Keep the peace please?

Drewman, that's a great suggestion. I can do that.

In regards to being on the forum for x amount of days before being allowed to post for sale items. It's either that or post count but we can't do both. We opted for post counts.

Mike.V?!
05-08-08, 06:07 PM
Why don't we hide the post count altogether?
It means nothing in the bigger scale of things.

That's how it was before. It was good.

Justin Fox
05-08-08, 06:33 PM
I've searched, can't find it! I can't seem to turn off the post count display anywhere in the admin control panel.

trism
05-08-08, 06:34 PM
yeah, no post count is great

stops people from posting shiet to make their epenis bigger

RaYmO
05-08-08, 06:37 PM
+1 for eradication of post count

Justin Fox
05-08-08, 07:03 PM
HOWZAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!

young34
05-08-08, 07:11 PM
looks gone to me, good work.

eug4emi
05-08-08, 07:48 PM
poor vtecmachine :)

trism
05-08-08, 08:02 PM
secks

Buddah
05-08-08, 09:35 PM
Well that explains where the post counters gone.

Freak out averted. :rolleyes:

Serial Killa
05-08-08, 09:37 PM
my e-peen has shrunk

Mike.V?!
05-08-08, 10:06 PM
HOWZAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!

Haha! Legend.

step.s
05-08-08, 10:19 PM
niceeeeeee

zawrilla
06-08-08, 01:41 AM
Lucky I stumbled upon this otherwise I would've been just as confused as the next.
This is a good idea, as perhaps it will also stop the branding/grouping of elitists and newcomers.

On the down side, now I cannot make my unbelievably meaningful 1000th post. On the plus side maybe that means all my posts should be meaningful.

After this.

dopey
06-08-08, 01:47 AM
Anyone who gives a fuck about post count is stupid. I know I'm guilty of a lot of useless posts, but I can assure you now it's not deliberately for numbers. Good riddance to the post counter I say.

Shiri
06-08-08, 03:26 AM
It actually looks neater without the post count

Apoligise for naming people

Nismodified
06-08-08, 07:21 AM
it looks heaps cleaner !

little change, bit a nice one

we all know joined dated >*

RaYmO
06-08-08, 08:51 AM
It actually looks neater without the post count

Apoligise for naming people

It's ok Shiri... Your sexy avatars make up for it

PS loving the new one ;)

Shiri
06-08-08, 04:16 PM
Haha thanks Ray... she's cute one hey?

Nobbsy
06-08-08, 05:15 PM
i thought shiri was a girl for ages...till i realised that he chaged his appearance from time to time :)

Mike.V?!
06-08-08, 05:25 PM
Shiri is a guy?!?!

Nobbsy
06-08-08, 05:29 PM
Mike.V is caucasian?!?!?

Mike.V?!
06-08-08, 05:33 PM
I'm not tho.

Neilus
06-08-08, 05:38 PM
Mike.V is part or a superior race.

Nobbsy
06-08-08, 05:40 PM
thats right you're halsian

Neilus
06-08-08, 07:17 PM
thats right you're halsian

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/ihatechromies/new%20stuff/hal.jpg

Huh?

HuH
06-08-08, 11:31 PM
And now we all get a surprise if the counter ever gets turned back on again. :)

The only downside to this is for new members trying to work out whether or not they're able to sell something yet. If you get a PM from someone saying 'how far off 100 posts am I', and you tell them - you're likely to end up with that exact number of spam posts anyway! I guess you could just not respond, but that's not really in the best interest of the forum.

Shiri
07-08-08, 12:14 AM
You can check your post count in your profile HuH

Bodgy Racing Developments
07-08-08, 07:19 AM
I think though the entire reason to do all this is so that people dont signup to the forum just to sell stuff.

HuH
07-08-08, 03:01 PM
You can check your post count in your profile HuH

Ah - I didn't realise that. Well you can kindly disregard my earlier post then! :cool: