PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Bikes? Any experience?

twistzed
23-08-08, 12:10 AM
Hey,

Im in my universities FSAE (formula ford style open wheelers) team and im looking at a FI system over our boring NA set-up. Has anyone had any experience with FI set ups on any bike engines or to be more specific on a Honda CBR600RR?

Its all research atm so i can get some funding behind me to do some R&D with our actual engines and prove some people wrong.

thanks
Brad

Roadster
23-08-08, 08:08 AM
Hey brad,

I have seen CBR954, CBR929, r1 and busa's that have been turbo'ed. their builds are all over the net and youtube.

not much point turbocharging a 600, spend 5k more and you get a 1000...

Roadster
23-08-08, 08:21 AM
that said, heres a turbo'ed 600rr
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=79081

twistzed
23-08-08, 10:40 AM
Hey Roadster,

thanks for the info but as it's a racing category we cant have any engine over 600cc in capacity. So we are looking into methods of increasing the power in the cheapest and most effective way.

scathing
23-08-08, 10:46 AM
Are you allowed to run non normal aspiration in Formula SAE while retaining the required 600cc displacement capacity?

That could get real interesting.

Roadster
23-08-08, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure if it would be cheap, a full engine rebuild would be needed, are your sae cars chain driven?

twistzed
23-08-08, 03:03 PM
Yeah the only problem with running any sort of compressor is that the throttle must be before the compressor, which might cause a problem as there is still a large volume of air after the throttle so when the throttle is closed the engine may not stop... a little dangerous perhaps.

Yeah we are deciding on wheather to run a chain or belt drive, currently its chain but we havent investigated belt yet. Has anyone had any experience with belt vs chain?

dom
23-08-08, 03:39 PM
What uni do you go to mate, sounds interesting?

twistzed
23-08-08, 07:13 PM
I go to Edith Cowen University, in the wild west. Im sure there are a few FSAE teams over east, but our teams are better :p

UWA (university of western australia) has won the international championship a few times.

Roadster
24-08-08, 08:29 PM
Yeah the only problem with running any sort of compressor is that the throttle must be before the compressor, which might cause a problem as there is still a large volume of air after the throttle so when the throttle is closed the engine may not stop... a little dangerous perhaps.

Yeah we are deciding on wheather to run a chain or belt drive, currently its chain but we havent investigated belt yet. Has anyone had any experience with belt vs chain?

Harley Davidson and Buell are the only few companies I know that make belt driven bikes. That said, their race bikes are chain driven.

twistzed
25-08-08, 06:04 PM
Hmm, thats pretty interesting. Thanks for that guys.

SUROK
25-08-08, 11:20 PM
S&S make belt drive motors

Roadster
26-08-08, 07:46 AM
S&S make belt drive motors

S&S appears to modify HD's

danielb
29-08-08, 08:22 AM
And i'm lead to believe that most of the HD's that are belt drive are like that so as to pass drive-by noise emission tests (apparently they were failing when using chain drive)