PDA

View Full Version : Costs of owning a bike

VTECMACHINE
27-08-08, 01:37 AM
Hey guys,

I have been thinking of getting a bike to ride to uni/shops etc for a while now.
I need a cheap run around. Anyways, the old man won't let me get a second hand bike if I were to get one. But the only one I can afford for now is a Honda CBR125R. Okay, okay... I have heard they are slow and shit etc... but this doesn't bother me. It's just to get me from A-B. Are they really THAT bad? Apparently a little 4 stoke motor is a bad thing (on start up?).

Thing is, i'm finding it hard to find out what the costs are. Obviously there is the bike, but how much are things like:

* L's riding course?
* On road costs?
* Insurance 3rd party? (Do people normally get comprehensive... I heard it's pointless as it costs so much)
*Comprehensive insurance P.A?
* Rego?
* Services?
*Jacket, helmet, gloves etc...?

Sure i'm missing a whole bunch of info. So if there is anything major, please fill me in...

Also, just for my information - what thing would I avoiding if I were looking into second hand bikes? The bike being dropped, is a big thing I guess. Anything else?

If you guy can help me out that would be great.

- Rix.

Garth Ivers
27-08-08, 04:48 AM
i wouldnt get the 125.... get something bigger, maybe even the cb400?

have you also considered the motard/dirtbikes?
cheap thrills if you arent set on the boyracer image

steve-b
27-08-08, 07:43 AM
Hey guys,

* L's riding course? 80 bucks
* On road costs? petrol, tyres the usual.
* Insurance 3rd party? (Do people normally get comprehensive... I heard it's pointless as it costs so much) 3rd party for my 250 was 134 with nrma, full comp for my 750 gixxer is 1200 with insuremyride
*Comprehensive insurance P.A? answered above
* Rego? similar to your car
* Services? similar to a car if its a full fairing bike as they have to take it all off to get to the engine
*Jacket, helmet, gloves etc...? you can go Joe Rocket gear, quality stuff and get a helmet, jacket, gloves for 1200-1500 bucks. If you go top self jacket, helmet, gloves, draggin jeans ( have kelver bumm and need pads sewn in ) and alpine boots you could be up for 3000.

You dont want a dropped bike, one that looks like its been looked after. I would avoid anything under 250cc, you will get over it, and i know you said you dont care, but when you get on it, even a 250 is pretty guttless. If you need any help looking or having someone test ride for you lemme know dude, im pretty local.
ta
Steve

Roadster
27-08-08, 08:43 AM
You dont want a dropped bike, one that looks like its been looked after. I would avoid anything under 250cc, you will get over it, and i know you said you dont care, but when you get on it, even a 250 is pretty guttless. If you need any help looking or having someone test ride for you lemme know dude, im pretty local.
ta
Steve

actually steve, rego for a bike thats below 300cc is only 99 bucks.

Ricky, CBR125 has a top speed of 100kph with a tailwind? lol it takes like 8-10 secs to get to 80kph? but the good thing about it is that it'll start first time everytime cause its new!

Kikkoman
27-08-08, 10:34 AM
Was thinking of making a similar thread a few weeks ago, till I witnessed a rider get knocked off his bike by a courier van one morning.

fuck.

I dunno how you riders can deal with the amount of shit arse drivers on the road.

kev.inc
27-08-08, 10:41 AM
A really loud slip on exhaust usually gives you a greater presence on the roads as cars hear you first before they actually see you.

That, and when you start riding for a while, you seem to observe a lot more in terms of what the cars around you want to do.

smasht
27-08-08, 10:47 AM
I think you should explore the option of a bike RIX, I purchased a Honda NSR150cc (repsol) and let me tell you this bike would give most 250cc's a run, and she's only a two stroke.

Yes it is expensive to initially purchase a bike, as you said you need the bike, good helmet, warm thick jacket, gloves, good shoes, rego, insurance etc.

But if you learn to really ride your bike properly (positive gearing) and you know a little about servicing your own machines then you will hardly have any wear and tear costs.

Eg. It costs me $12 to fill the tank, gets me ~200km.

P.s I recomend an NSR150 ;D

Kikkoman
27-08-08, 11:05 AM
Sorry for hijacking your thread machine, but

with 2 strokes, whats this I hear about hard to start up, and high maintenance and all that jazz?

smasht
27-08-08, 11:22 AM
Easy to start, pull the choke, open the full tap and kick start it, starts first time everytime :)

Because it is 2 stroke, you obviously have to put in your own oil so it mixes with the fuel, but honestly for every 10 times you fill with fuel you need a half fill of oil.. if that!

I have had no issues what so ever with the bike, so I guess much like a car, find the right seller who knows about bikes and how to look after them and you will be laughing

VTECMACHINE
27-08-08, 11:30 AM
Sorry for hijacking your thread machine, but

with 2 strokes, whats this I hear about hard to start up, and high maintenance and all that jazz?

mate, ask all you want in this thread.

Thanks guys, this has all been very helpful.

Yeah I don't get this 2 stoke, 4 stroke business - can someone explain? How do bike engines work?

Look, I know there are other bikes out there. But my Dad won't let me get anything that's 2nd hand. And considering I love Honda, and we have 5 Honda cars in the family - I thought a Honda bike would be the safe option too. I don't like dirt bikes aswell, so that rules that out. I don't need this to be fast or travel at high speeds, that's what the car is for. Like I said , I just want it to get me from A-B reliably.

Do any of you guys actually have full comp insurance?

kev.inc
27-08-08, 11:34 AM
vtr250? v-twin
pretty sure you can still get these new.
much better alternative to the cbr125's and useful torque (for a 250) around town especially at a cruisey pace.

VTECMACHINE
27-08-08, 11:39 AM
vtr250? v-twin
pretty sure you can still get these new.
much better alternative to the cbr125's and useful torque (for a 250) around town especially at a cruisey pace.

1) I find them fugly
2) I do not want to spend that much on a POS bike.

TurBIce
27-08-08, 11:54 AM
A really loud slip on exhaust usually gives you a greater presence on the roads as cars hear you first before they actually see you.

That, and when you start riding for a while, you seem to observe a lot more in terms of what the cars around you want to do.

^^^ Spider sense!!!

VTECMACHINE
27-08-08, 11:58 AM
haha

TurBIce
27-08-08, 12:27 PM
prelearners cost $75 or something.. best $$ spent

keungleung
27-08-08, 01:07 PM
i wouldn't get nsr150sp... i had one a few years back and they were impossible to start... unless ur bike is in a new condition, most of them are stuffed.

full compo is around 600 bucks with insuremyride but considering the excess for being L plater and young and stuff it's the same price as a bike, not worth it at all

get 3rd party = 150
rego = 100
greenslip = 280
DONE

just for your info, i brought my cbr125r for $3600 a few months with 1800kms, sold with new rego for $3950 with 2200kms

my friend got his at the same time same kms for $4200 from dealer trade in, sold for 4000 with new rego

and another mate got one 2 months back for $3000 with 2000kms

their the best value bikes, but boring and slow and u feel like ur gonna get blown over by the wind cause their so small

keungleung
27-08-08, 01:10 PM
oh, and they start first time everytime even tho i never ride it and cold starts, with no need to mix in oil with petrol like the nsr

i accidentally broke the indicator cover by walking into it, cost me 7 bucks to replace, so i dare say parts are cheap

Stalemete
27-08-08, 01:41 PM
Was thinking of making a similar thread a few weeks ago, till I witnessed a rider get knocked off his bike by a courier van one morning.
fuck.
I dunno how you riders can deal with the amount of shit arse drivers on the road.

you develop your spatial awareness, that and you assume:
A) everyone else is a complete and utter fvucking muppet
B) they are actually blind; but managed to get their license through sexual favors & other sordid bribes.

VTECMACHINE
27-08-08, 02:51 PM
i wouldn't get nsr150sp... i had one a few years back and they were impossible to start... unless ur bike is in a new condition, most of them are stuffed.

full compo is around 600 bucks with insuremyride but considering the excess for being L plater and young and stuff it's the same price as a bike, not worth it at all

get 3rd party = 150
rego = 100
greenslip = 280
DONE

just for your info, i brought my cbr125r for $3600 a few months with 1800kms, sold with new rego for $3950 with 2200kms

my friend got his at the same time same kms for $4200 from dealer trade in, sold for 4000 with new rego

and another mate got one 2 months back for $3000 with 2000kms

their the best value bikes, but boring and slow and u feel like ur gonna get blown over by the wind cause their so small

Best help ever! Thanks. So it's worth getting a second hand one of these then ey?

Is there anyway you can tell if they have been dropped, apart from scratches etc? Or a way to tell if they have been repaired. I know it's quite easy to conseal car accidents, just wondering if there is a good way of doing this with a bike - and/or what I need to look out for?

danielb
27-08-08, 03:02 PM
Honestly if you think a VTR250 looks fugly.. the cbr125 aint any better. Ever seen one from behind? They look like a postie bike :lol:

They are OK bikes though, i felt like i was riding a pushbike when i rode one. I wouldn't buy one though. Buy a GPX250 or a new ninja 250r thingy if you have to buy brand new, that is if you just want it to get around on.

ae86slaver
27-08-08, 03:42 PM
I think your old man should give it a chance for you to have a look at a second hand bike - I mean, you would really have to be a dummy to buy a bike in which you had any doubts and that would cause you some trouble - Just a little bit of research and inspection of the intended bike to buy could save you $$$ because afterall, there is a 90%+ chance you will drop it yourself or do something noob like..
For a learner bike, IMO, it is just not worth spending money because it is like a toy when you jump on something bigger eventually.

VTECMACHINE
27-08-08, 03:48 PM
Ok... but i really don't want to raise the budget. And I don't want to get on something bigger. I don't even really like LOVE bikes LOL. They are just cheaper, and easier to park etc than a car. And a cheap POS is better to leave around than my car.
I'll have a look at some of the ninja 250's though.

Zilli
27-08-08, 04:08 PM
if the only reason you want one is to potter around and save money and not have the teg parked everywhere why dont you just get a scooter Rick?

VTECMACHINE
27-08-08, 04:21 PM
if the only reason you want one is to potter around and save money and not have the teg parked everywhere why dont you just get a scooter Rick?

Because i'm not a fag. ahaha. Plain and simple, i'm not being seen on a scooter, and plus i'm a ricer!

s_vtec
27-08-08, 04:26 PM
How about a Kawasaki ninja 250R? I thought about getting one of them.

Zilli
27-08-08, 04:44 PM
Because i'm not a fag. ahaha. Plain and simple, i'm not being seen on a scooter, and plus i'm a ricer!

fair enough...

VTECMACHINE
27-08-08, 04:53 PM
How about a Kawasaki ninja 250R? I thought about getting one of them.

Aren't they like 8.5-9 grand?

keungleung
27-08-08, 05:31 PM
i sold mine to buy a 250... like ninja 250 or cbr250rr but can't afford it at the moment

you can pick up cbr125r for around $3000-3500 basically new with like 2000kms on them, i've seen lots of them but their gonna be blue/white/red ones the black ones which me and my frd just sold are worth more LOL.... the one my other friend got for $3000 is blue

with cbr125r, these things are basically NEW, i doubt much of them had already been dropped and it's so light it's hard to drop, but otherwise they should be brand new condition in every single way so any scratches at all might be the give away?

DR-JEKL
27-08-08, 05:34 PM
Just a few alternative options. When I was looking for a learner legal bike over 12 months ago it came down to 2:

The hyosung GT650R V Twin

Suzuki GS500F

The hyosung has more potential as the carby has a restrictor that restricts power to be Learner legal but can be easily removed by a Hyosung dealer and unlocks a heap more power. The Hyo's V Twin also sound awesome with an aftermarket muffler.

The GS500F is a bigger bike (Shares the same chassis as the Litre bandits etc) and is built to be reliable and damn tuff. It definately aint a quick bike, but they are a fun bike! These can be had slightly used for $6-7K, hell I would even sell you mine for $6500 and it only has 7000 kays and is just under 2 year old and looks & rides like new.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/smoknhothonda/DisplayImage8.jpg http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/smoknhothonda/DisplayImage.jpg

keungleung
27-08-08, 05:34 PM
note: i actually reckon u might look less gay on a scooter then this...

i brought it to learn and get my Ps, then decided not to keep it cause it does look gay and not as fun as a 250

Garth Ivers
27-08-08, 05:52 PM
you really want a 125 for 2 years over your L's and P's? i know my 200 is boring after 1 year already.....

if i could do it over again - id get the CB400.. VTEC yo! and after 2 years you can trade it in where you bought it (better value for the dealer AND you) for a bigger bike!

dead sexy and the read tyre isnt the width of a bees dick like the cbr125!

http://www.moriwaki.co.jp/top_news/cb400sf.jpg

kev.inc
27-08-08, 06:28 PM
^+1

whats your criteria for the bike?

budget?
fairings/naked?
how's your mechanical knowledge?
how long do you intend to keep it?
do you need to look cool when riding?

VTECMACHINE
27-08-08, 07:05 PM
^+1

whats your criteria for the bike?

budget? $6k MAX for bike
fairings/naked? Fairings
how's your mechanical knowledge? I know cars, and can work on them quite easily. Don't know much about bikes, but i'm sure i'll pick it up fairly easily.
how long do you intend to keep it? As long as i'm at uni, so 2 years or so, and then might keep it to ride 1-2 km's to the station.
do you need to look cool when riding? Not really. Just don't want a scooter. I'm not a big guy, so not after a big bike. Don't want it to be fast, cos i'll kill myself. Also space in the garage is quite limited. It's got to be lightish, so my dad can move it if he needs to (he can't ride)

kev.inc
27-08-08, 07:42 PM
okay, with 6k + fairings + new bike, you have:
In the green corner, Kawasaki Ninja 250R for $6490
The red corner, CBR125R for $4290
and in the lighter red corner, Hyosung GT250R for $6690

All the above do not include on road costs, so maybe add on $1k (I don't exactly know since I haven't bought a new bike before).
So unless you can stretch the budget a bit more, a CBR125R is your best choice and you won't be going very fast on one of these.:)

coughCB400cough

Garth Ivers
27-08-08, 08:03 PM
seriously, your dad should let you buy 2nd hand....

VTECMACHINE
27-08-08, 08:03 PM
Thanks man! Apparently according to some motorbike shops, or roads are like freaking $2500.

For the CBR, people have quoted me $7000 FFS! That's Heaps. maybe a second hand one would be the best.

VTECMACHINE
27-08-08, 08:04 PM
seriously, your dad should let you buy 2nd hand....

Yeah he's an anal old indian man. I'll try work him up to it. But so far, not so great!

keungleung
27-08-08, 10:36 PM
we got quoted 4500 on road NEW for cbr125r 9 months ago, so you should be able to beat that easily if it's now.... we got quoted back when it first came out and black was on a waiting list

just got to go to all the dealers and tell them u got quoted somewhere else

s_vtec
28-08-08, 12:34 AM
Aren't they like 8.5-9 grand?

I was looking at one around 6.5k

rodent
28-08-08, 01:21 AM
Don't mean to threadjack here, but what's everyone's thoughts on the ZZR-250? Of late-90's early-00's vintage specifically.

TMA5
28-08-08, 01:59 AM
Don't mean to threadjack here, but what's everyone's thoughts on the ZZR-250? Of late-90's early-00's vintage specifically.

I've been looking at these bikes too - specifically the zx-2r, but seems like they're similarly priced as a cbr250, but without the aftermarket support/spare parts?

The type C (which I think are the late 90's) model of these bikes look hot though!

smasht
28-08-08, 11:02 AM
I think the ZZR's are illegal for learners to ride.. in NSW anyway

Stalemete
28-08-08, 11:22 AM
It was brought up in one of the other topics

Only banned 250's:
Suzuki RGV250
Kawasaki KR250 (KR-1 and KR1s models)
Honda NSR250
Yamaha TZR250
Aprila RS250

(straight from RTA site.)

Roadster
28-08-08, 11:27 AM
I think the ZZR's are illegal for learners to ride.. in NSW anyway

your thinking about the ZZR-1100 lol not the 250

Roadster
28-08-08, 11:27 AM
It was brought up in one of the other topics

Only banned 250's:
Suzuki RGV250
Kawasaki KR250 (KR-1 and KR1s models)
Honda NSR250
Yamaha TZR250
Aprila RS250

(straight from RTA site.)

these are all 2 strokes

Stalemete
28-08-08, 11:32 AM
your thinking about the ZZR-1100 lol not the 250
no i think its pretty obvious to anyone why a 1100 would not be allowed :lol:

zawrilla
28-08-08, 01:04 PM
why does this thread make me want a bike so much :P

VTECMACHINE
28-08-08, 01:08 PM
why does this thread make me want a bike so much :P

Because it's awesome!

Someone care to explain the difference between 2 stoke, and 4 stroke? Pros and Cons?

danielb
28-08-08, 02:05 PM

I had a ZZR, its an OK bike, nothing special. Kinda boring.

VTECMANGCHINE

There's a lot of easily accessible info on 2-stroke vs 4-stroke, think of a 2 stroke as a rotary and 4 stroke as a normal piston engine (even though the 2stroke does use a piston)

I want a DRZ400SM, i think ill buy one soon :lol:

mako
29-08-08, 02:14 PM
Couple of notes,

my first bike was a CBR250RR for 5.5K. They are good investments as they retain price really well. Buy private. to look at it, the CBR250RR is expensive for a 15+Yr old bike.

If i could go back, i would of bought myself the cheapest and most reliable bike. Look at it this way, its very easy to write off a bike, esp as learner, mistakes highly common and can rather be expensive. You want to make all your mistakes on a cheap realiable bike.

Probably repeating myself

Upright course: $70
L's knowledge test $35
License change: $20
rego: $100
CTP for 300cc or less $2-300
CTP for 300cc or more $650-700
MOST (P's) test $150 (your own bike, add 140 to hire)
License Change $20
Tyres: $350 pair (range is 4000 - 8000 kms) vary with pressure and burnouts...
Property damage insurance: $180

Comprehensive is only worth it if you have a bike over 10K. Comprehensive on my CBR250 was $1500. Not worth it if you dont comute on a daily basis, and half the time you hit something, there is next to no damage. If you do hit property and you damage it real bad, you mite get investigated and they prove that you were 'illegally speeding and may not pay you out because clauses in your insurance may void your claim.
Minimum protection would be leather gloves, jacket and helmet.

Gloves: 60-150
jacket 3mm grade: 300
Helmet: 200 (same here, learner and chance of damaging helmet is high. Drop a 1k helmet and its hurt town) Go for comfort and not looks. Upgrade when you get a better bike. I can ride around without a jacket (squidding) but i cant ride without gloves. At the end of the day, i still want to use my hands to wipe my own ass.

CBR125 i think is 9kw
the new 250R ninjas have a massive waiting list.
NSR150 needs a rebuild every 25k. smells and sounds like a lawn mower and has a kickstart.
Hyosung made in korea and feels a tone of plastic. Good sounding bike and good for taller people.
VTR250 comfortable bike, looks ok but rather expensive.
Suzuki across unreliable and spills petrol if you lean too much. Has helmet storage.
CBR250RR nice but old. Misleading Kms. Parts are readily available.

Bikes are easy, and no differnt to cars when serviceing. It cost roughly the same.

And yes, we are taught to have spider senses.. we are also taught that if we crash, its our own fault (not legally)... its more of preventative measures, ie buffers, blind spots, escape routes, lane splitting etc. Its all roadcraft skills.

One last note, unfamilar bike, take 10x more care, and watch your six.

Garth Ivers
29-08-08, 03:12 PM
One last note, unfamilar bike, take 10x more care, and watch your six.

and ten and two and four and eight....

False.Cutz
01-09-08, 11:22 PM
Hey guys,
Im currently interested in getting my first bike too, I am also tossing up between Ninja and CBR, currently I am leaning towards the ninja. Few questions. How long is waiting list, can i get it second hand and if so how much is it gonna cost. The main reason I am getting a bike is i cant afford a car and the costs associated with a car, also i fucking hate public transport, esp buses and i have to catch two to get home from school. Currently I am just 16 so even if i do get a car i wouldnt b able to drive by myself to school. I turn 16 9 months in december/january

danielb
02-09-08, 01:16 PM
Waiting list? Ask your local Kawasaki dealer
Second hand? bikesales.com.au

mako
05-09-08, 12:23 AM
Hey guys,
Im currently interested in getting my first bike too, I am also tossing up between Ninja and CBR, currently I am leaning towards the ninja. Few questions. How long is waiting list, can i get it second hand and if so how much is it gonna cost. The main reason I am getting a bike is i cant afford a car and the costs associated with a car, also i fucking hate public transport, esp buses and i have to catch two to get home from school. Currently I am just 16 so even if i do get a car i wouldnt b able to drive by myself to school. I turn 16 9 months in december/january

Have you ridden dirt bikes before??

IMO, get on 4s before you get on 2s. Get the feel for road and traffic behaviours before you ride. Your 16 and have alot ahead of you. You have 10X more factors of errors when your riding.

In saying that, a bike license will improve your awareness when driving, the only difference is bump in a car will keep you walking...

I know a lot of young kids these days are taking the bike alternative to avoid the 3yr wait on P's. 1yr on P's, get on your fulls and the thrills are breathtaking..

jdmsinister
10-09-08, 02:41 AM
Hey guys if i have a learner manual license am i allowed to ride an automatic bike?

danielb
10-09-08, 09:42 AM
yes

jdmsinister
10-09-08, 10:50 AM
thanks danielb

joebloyo
10-09-08, 11:17 AM
Have you ridden dirt bikes before??

IMO, get on 4s before you get on 2s. Get the feel for road and traffic behaviours before you ride. Your 16 and have alot ahead of you. You have 10X more factors of errors when your riding.

In saying that, a bike license will improve your awareness when driving, the only difference is bump in a car will keep you walking...

I know a lot of young kids these days are taking the bike alternative to avoid the 3yr wait on P's. 1yr on P's, get on your fulls and the thrills are breathtaking..

Very good point Mako, i dunno it might just be me, but ive always had a thing against younger guys on bikes, experience is gained by learning the basics and by jumping straight on to 2s before 4s the road isnt as nice, it can be very scary when you first get on and cars are zooming past it aint comfortable. Not only that you also have peer pressure, you rock up at some party and your mates G you up.. and bang disaster right there. Young and stupid.
But this is all my opinion, and im not saying that all young kids are stupid, they are just more prone to doing stupid things.

theres no harm in waiting

Garth Ivers
10-09-08, 11:39 AM
its all down to the personality type in the end.

danielb
10-09-08, 12:15 PM
Just don't hang around people like steve (roadster) :lol:

benxxx
10-09-08, 01:17 PM
Thing is in a car if you lose it most of the time you'll smack a gutter or another car, most the time everyone is ok, you hurt your pride and you learn from it.

In a bike a small mistake can take your life in seconds

Not saying you shouldn't get your licence right away, just be very aware and very careful :)

Also It funny a 18yo can have bike that does 300kph and will get there very fast, yet they aren't allowed to drive a 15 second turbo car.... :lol:

TurBIce
10-09-08, 07:21 PM
yea very true

i sold my Ps bike to this 17 years old kid,
he wrote it off. but he was ok.
i was like .. wtf.. its only like 2 months.

Roadster
11-09-08, 10:08 PM
Just don't hang around people like steve (roadster) :lol:

OI!

you hang around me! *when we're on two wheels! lol

TurBIce
11-09-08, 11:13 PM
or 1 wheel:P

joebloyo
12-09-08, 12:08 AM
lol unicycle :lol:

tofu
07-10-08, 01:22 PM
this thread is great! thanks especially to mako!
so it doesn't cost that much to get a bike license in nsw?
cuz in qld to do Q-Ride it's $930 for 3 lessons (for absolute beginners) then you need to come back again in a year to do open bike license test.