PDA

View Full Version : Best Food - name your places!

Pages : [1] 2

Justin Fox
29-12-06, 12:14 AM
OK, I speak for Sydney as it's where I live, but name your fave places, anywhere in the world if you like, also feel free to add new types of food of-course:

Best Chinese:
Best Italian:

Or be dish specific:

Best Ribs:
Best Pho:

etc, go for it! Sharing is caring!

Babalouie
29-12-06, 12:41 AM
For Sydney (IMHO of course)...this isn't necessarily the best or most expensive, but for various reaons are my favourite :D

Chinese: Gotta go with Golden Century
Italian: Dolcissimo's in Haberfield
French: Claudes in Paddo or La Goulou in Crows Nest
Jap: Ichiban Boshi in the TGV

Or be dish specific:

Pizza: Dolcissimo's
Gelato: Dolcissimo's
Ribs: Rib's n Rumps in Gordon
Yakiniku: Rengaya in Nth Sydney
Katsu Curry: Ichiban Boshi
Steak: La Grillade in Willoughby
Sushi: Sakana-ya in Crows Nest
Singapore Chili Crab: Kampong (on Pitt St)...real toast :)
Hainanese Chicken Rice: Temasek in Parra
Tiramisu: my place :D
Congee: Superbowl
Chicken & salt-fish fried rice: Superbowl
Peking Duck Pancake: Lucky Garden in Lindfield
Pho: Pho An I guess although my mother in law's Pho is the bomb :D

...hmm...I think I just gave away my favourite things to eat :D

Daniel - SoAsianDVD
29-12-06, 01:57 AM
All in Sydney...

Chinese: For value - Agree with babs, Golden Century in Chinatown for sure, for presentation and atmosphere, Sky Phoenix in Sky Garden, though very pricey.
Japanese / Modern Australian fusion: Kobe Jones in King Street Wharf
Japanese: Musashi, Haymarket
Value for money Japanese: Origami, Darlinghurst
Modern Australian: Too many too list!
Thai: Thai-Foon in Harbourside
Best thai-named restaurant: Thai Me Up, Oxford Street (Haven't been here before but the name is cool haha)
Biggest waste of money: Astral in Star City
Best place to break up with someone: Cocktail [email protected] Lounge, Darlinghurst (great modern aus/japanese food upstairs too)

Seafood: Fish Market in Pyrmont of course!
Steak: Meat & Wine Co. Darling Harbour (they also got a very extensive selection of wine if you love wine like I do)
Ramen: Ramen-Kan, Chinatown
best Unagi (eel) - Ichiban Boshi, TGV
Pizza: Made in Italy, Pyrmont
BBQ Pork: BBQ King, Chinatown
Ice Cream - Baskin Robbins

Though nothing beats having a girl (or girls) you care about cook for you, even if it's terrible...

haven't been to many places at all, mainly around the city area only:(

Middle Man
29-12-06, 03:07 AM
'Keng Doo' in Mascot is one of the best Chinese i've ever had :)

'Thai Cathriya' in Randwick - not just because it's my best mates family restraunt, but its the best i've had - Second would be 'Sweet Basil Thai' in Sylvania Waters.

shonen
29-12-06, 08:32 AM
Japanese: Kobe Jones in King st wharf, musashis on pitt st or my personal favourate and the most authentic is Ramen Kan in Chatswood. The Katsu curry there is awesome !

For Pho: I have had a long standing argument with my viet friends about this but most of them say Pho Ang in Bankstown is the best, the other half say Cabra is the best. I was actually smashed (alcohol) one night and I rang ALL the viet people that I have on my mobile and made a tally of where the best Pho is, I dont remember the exact score but I remember Pho Ang was the clear winner !

Lebanese: For great leb style bbq chicken you cant beat El Junnah in Granville its just near the station, that garlic sauce....OMG.

Thai: Thai Orchid in Five Dock. or this little shop on Quay st near Market City, its opposite the Country Comfort apartments.

Pizza: There is this awesome woodfire Pizza place in Manly, just cant remember the name ! They have the BEST garlic bread EVER !!

Korean: BBQ city on Liverpool st, Seoul Ria on Goulburn st, Fujiya is below and isnt a bad Japanese joint ether. My favourate for korean, mainly cause of the many times I have been drunk there, is Min Sok Chon just next to/below BBQ City on Liverpool st.

Also Arisan both in Strathfield and Eastwood are pretty good also.

Indian: Maya Sweets ? forget the full name its Maya something on Cleveland st Surry Hills, also another one in Parramatta.

Kebabs: mmmmmmm the best when you have the munchies hahaha...Either Abrakebabra in West Ryde, Yeeros in Marrickville or El Junnah in Granville. Note that El Junnah only do chicken. But we all know a good kebab is ALWAYS beef !!!!

Also id like to make a request !!! hehe
Where is the best place to get the Viet pork rolls ?????
So far the best I have had is in Bankstown.

Justin Fox
29-12-06, 09:11 AM
LOL @ Daniel's post. (Uchi Lounge is super cool).

Pho: Pho An (as Shonen says it's arguable but sometimes I find places the "best" because they're reliable).

Chinese: Kensington Peking on Anzac Parade, Kensington. He's got an awesome San Toong Chicken!

German: Unas on Darlinghurst Road. Can't go past the funky German beers + their famous Chicken Jager Schnitzel (I can never finish it though it's massive!).

Steak: Prime, GPO building Matin Place. Best Wagyu but be prepared to spend up over $100/head. Wildfire at the Harbour is also aweome, great atmosphere and amazing views of the Opera House.

Ribs: Hurricanes on Bondi Beach for the massive ribs + atmosphere.

Breakfast: Hard to go past a tiny little cafe called "Coogee Bite" at Coogee each (under The Palace). Has the best eggs benny in the world!

Cheap Eats: Five "O's" at Coogee Beach above the McDonalds. Million Dollar views, beer and $5 meal menu FTW!

Sushi: "Sushi Train" on Spring st. Bondi Junction. Just across from the Tiger store/Westfields. There's a reason why people que up to get into this sushi train. It's just so good in comparisson to the rest.

kula
29-12-06, 11:30 AM
Pho: Pho An (as Shonen says it's arguable but sometimes I find places the "best" because they're reliable).

Steak: Prime, GPO building Matin Place. Best Wagyu but be prepared to spend up over $100/head. Wildfire at the Harbour is also aweome, great atmosphere and amazing views of the Opera House.

Ribs: Hurricanes on Bondi Beach for the massive ribs + atmosphere.

Breakfast: Hard to go past a tiny little cafe called "Coogee Bite" at Coogee each (under The Palace). Has the best eggs benny in the world!

Cheap Eats: Five "O's" at Coogee Beach above the McDonalds. Million Dollar views, beer and $5 meal menu FTW!

good thread.
theres a massive one in PF of a similar vein.

I live near Bankstown and have never had An! doh must go there.

Justin, u ever had "Bills" eggs? best in the world apparently.

Another vote for Prime as best steak. (easily)
people say this, and that for steak, and most of those people have never had a Prime steak, until you do, even good steaks like kingsleys, pale in in comparisin to Prime.

Pizza:
Mancinis (burwood rd) in Belfield.

Pasta:
(bargain) Bravos in crows nest, they have 101 different pasta dishes, great value and quality.

Thai:
there are two thai places that are always at the top for me, there are soo many decent thai restauants in sydney, but these two are a significant step above all others.

Chaopraya in Randwick. They have thee best masamum curry in the world.
and

Thai Patong in Newtown. Its massive, big and busy, but always great quality food. Out of all the thai places ive been to, this one is easily the closest to the taste of thai I had in thailand. esp their satay sauce, which is something Ive been using as a benchmark after finding the best one ever in Phuket.
I went to a few thai places in New York too, and most were quite good, however a couple were average, meaning worse than anything ive had here. I dont think ive had any really bad Thai here in Sydney, compared to other asain foods.

thai foon is quite average i reckon.

also, there;s a new thai place opened just near our office, and its great thai for $8.50. Bigpot on botany rd. just north of gardners.

Jap:
we eat jap quite at bit with the guys at work, and i reckon Ichibanboshi has gotten worse over the past few months. It used to be very good, now its only OK.
Theres a new place opened on sussex and I reckon its better. Open lateish on weeknights too. cant remmeber whats its called, but its a couple of blocks north of the chinese places, west side of sussex.

Sushi:
theres an awesome one on crown st surry hills. Matsuri.
great for lunch, but you have to spend about $12-15.

top end sushi, eShushi at establishment. amazing, and made me not want to eat cheap sushi for about a year.

Ribs:
another vote for Hurricanes ribs even the take away has excellent burgers.
Oscars have great ribs too, there are two, southern cross hotel, and bankstown hotel. both good pub food.

Burgers:
but the best burgers are at oxford st.
a new chain that desrve big success.
Burgerlicious.
do yourself a favour and try em.

Chinese:
hmm hard one, soo many places are average..
BBQ king is the worst in chinatown, almost everytime ive been there ive been sick, and the last time i was sick for 4 days.
best suburban one is Golden Terrace at Georges Hall...
but the best one I can remmeber overall is in Adelaide, always great food.

Kebabs:
now heres a thread all on its own.
i was actually thinking of starting a ratemykebab website.
ive had a lot. and the best was in wollongong. chuckys at warrawong. nothing has come close so far, but there are some decent ones all over sydney. too many to mention, however, Im all ears (eyes?) to your recomendations, so please post them and will try and sample them ;)

top end of town:

always a good experience at "41".
their mash is something Id pay $100 for. honestly, how good do you think mash can be? try it and you will see.

"est." is also great, 2nd best meat ive ever had was there. the rare venison. amazing. 1st best was at the old MG garage about 7-8 years ago.

Justin Fox
29-12-06, 11:41 AM
Good stuff Mark. Yes had eggs at Bills. Great corn fritters there, what they're most famous for I think. Also been to 41, gotta love the view from the toilet huh?! :) Best view whilst hanging a piss ever!

franks
29-12-06, 11:50 AM
ahhhhh food ... if its not sex or driving a car fast around a circuit its food :)

agree on alot of points above!
- congee @ superbowl with xo pippi's, salt'n'pepper calamari & jellyfish
- massaman curry @ chaopraya in randwick (is that the place kula!)

some other honourable mentions from me:
-fettucine @ buon ricordo in paddington
-salty chicken & fried rice @ minh hai on george st, sydney
-sushi @ george st cinema's
-pork katsu curry @ genki's in atarmon
-just cooked krispy kreme original donut @ 3am at penrith after runs on the m4
-indonesian @ my mum's place

MFN-MAN
29-12-06, 12:35 PM
oh god where to start! hehehe

roast bbq chicken: chicken shop @ kingsgrove next to the bakery! no doubt the best roast chicken, just tastes so damn good. buffalo's at mascot come a close second. el jannah gets an honourable mention too :P

chicken burgers: dougies at hurstville. absoloutely demolishes oportos and nandos and the dougies sauce is great!

japanese: i think it's called hiro's kitchen in beverley hills, opposite the benellong. really good traditional style jap food.

pizza: bexley pizza. been eating from there as long as i can remember. open till late so a better alternative than the kebab!

ribs: cargo bar for accessibility from work (15 bucks for a big plate on wednesdays). otherwise yeh hurricanes (mixed plate FTW!!!)

steak: prime rib from hogs breath up at port macquarie...a looooong way to go for steak but i've never nearly almost cried while eating before! hahahaha

the crispy chicken and rice dish at newtown thai in pavillion in the city is also a great cheap meal (they do other great big meals for only $6!!!)

...i'm definately going to need to update this list! lolz

RaYmO
29-12-06, 12:46 PM
Thai: x 2 on Kula's post regarding Thai Pothong, that place is awesome!

Another gem is in North Parramatta (Thai Garden Village is the name of the restaurant), its in a small renovated heritage listed house and the food there is GREAT. You are pretty much getting Thai Pothong quality at a much cheaper (wesside) price :D

Malaysian: Kopitiam, this place is on Harris St in Ultimo next to Hannahs pies. They have the best Honey Chicken in town (not very Malaysian but it kicks ass), their Char Keo Teoh (fried rice noodles)

Ribs: Meat & Wine Co in Darling Harbour opposite Home, they have the BEST pork ribs in town (yes, they even taste better than Hurricanes - I was a sceptic at first).

Italian: Fillicudi in Five Dock, this place is tiny, cosy and full of atmosphere. Their Penne Granchi (part of their specials menu) is one of the best pasta dishes Ive had in my life - it is a tomato based penne pasta with Blue Swimmer Crab... NOICE! Their pizzas are pretty good too!

If size of servings tickles your fancy, Big Johns in San Souci... Crazy serving sizes for the money... quality can be quite good depending on the (asian) chef cooking on the night. A plate of pasta big enough for 3 ppl for only $11-$12... bargain!

Japanese: Kenta in Neutral bay is pretty good value (a meal for my missus and I for less than 15 bux!)

Kura 3 on Dixon St (next to the old harbour twin cinemas) is also pretty good when it comes to great value Jap food.

Fine Dining: Where else but Tetsuya, Went there for Valentines this year and it totally kicks ass. Hell pricey though ($200/head) but it is worth it for that someone special ;)

Pho: Flemington (the one at the entrance to the carpark, with the YELLOW signage)... Tastes good, for $8 a bowl can't go wrong.

wilch
29-12-06, 12:53 PM
Chicken: Nandos. 1/2 Chicken and Chips with Hot Sauce...

wow, how cultured am I! lol

milkman
29-12-06, 12:59 PM
Can't beleive how many of you guys rate Pho An. I had it two weeks ago and got charged $11.80 for a bowl of Pho that was average. I can't believe how many asians were there paying that ridiculous price. Sure there isn't anything in the soup that shouldn't be there :) lol

Another vote for best ribs for hurricanes. It rocks! Aalways hard to get a table though. Kellys at Bondi is up there. Oh Kellys have the best bread!!!!

IMO Phoenix is crappy over priced westernised asian food. Their yum cha sucks. Totally butchered the asian flavour in it to cater for Westerners.

Favourite Seafood is [email protected] Bay. Incredible service and the trademark dish of snapper pie is amazing (I hate fish too). The different sampels of Oysters is very interesting. Didn't know how much difference the origins of the Oyster makes to the taste.

44 this year
29-12-06, 01:14 PM
Can't beleive how many of you guys rate Pho An. I had it two weeks ago and got charged $11.80 for a bowl of Pho that was average. I can't believe how many asians were there paying that ridiculous price. Sure there isn't anything in the soup that shouldn't be there :) lol

Another vote for best ribs for hurricanes. It rocks! Aalways hard to get a table though. Kellys at Bondi is up there. Oh Kellys have the best bread!!!!

IMO Phoenix is crappy over priced westernised asian food. Their yum cha sucks. Totally butchered the asian flavour in it to cater for Westerners.

Favourite Seafood is [email protected] Bay. Incredible service and the trademark dish of snapper pie is amazing (I hate fish too). The different sampels of Oysters is very interesting. Didn't know how much difference the origins of the Oyster makes to the taste.

hey Milkman, we have similar tastes, i can vouch for everything you said about Boathouse, and it's all about the main room not the other one. :) Same view with Phoenix as well.

Someone mentioned Thai Patong for Thai food, agreed too.

denka
29-12-06, 01:48 PM
Here's my list:

Italian - Il Buco along Hume Highway, Strathfield
Malaysian - cannot top Cinta Ria at cockle bay wharf above pontoon
Steak - although known for their ribs, I'm going to say Hurricanes
Japanese - Masuya on O'Connell St
German/Bavarian - bavarian bier cafe, bavarian platter and a 1L of Dunkel FTMFW!
Chinese - Best bang for buck would be Kingsford Chinese Restaurant along anzac pde, not too sure about the best one as everywhere we go we get the same thing and it tastes about the same
Indonesian - I like Ayam Goreng Jakarta along anzaz pde
Pizza - Arthur's Pizza @ the spot, Randwick
Thai - that's a tough one too, but I'm going to say the thai place also at the spot, Randwick, can't remember what it's called though *edit* I just read kula's post and it's the same one hehe

Places I will go soon:

Kobe Jones, Wildfire and I must try Malaya.

And on the kebab front, give Marrickville Kebabs a go, hes in a little stall on the side of a petrol station, my fave in Sydney so far.

Alfadog
29-12-06, 02:01 PM
Chinese: Maso's, Broadbeach.
Japanese: Teppanyaki Japan in Southport/Surfers (need to try more).
Japanese / French fusion: Forgot the name, but awesome place, Ashmore. lol
French: La Porte Verde, Southport.
Italian: La Ristorante Roma, Rome.
German: The German Club, Nerang.
Swiss: Switzerland Egpyt, Egypt. Yes there really is a Swiss restaurant in Egypt, and it's aaaaaaawesome, though I have to admit I haven't come across a Swiss restaurant anywhere else...
Arabian: Dubai Tours, 4wd out over dunes to the middle of a desert, for one big BBQ!! UAE.
Indonesian: BLI BLI BALI, Mermaid Beach. Ask for the spidery thingsssss!
Best Steak: Too hard to name just one.
Best Burgers: Big Chief's! Chain around Gold Coast (not sure if interstate or not yet)
Biggest waste of money: Any restaurant in Venice. $30 for a cup of coffee thanks. $120 for two pizzas and a bottle of coke!
Most amusing name: FUK MEI THAI, Surfers. Pretty good food too, hahaha

fueltank
29-12-06, 02:05 PM
I was at Golden Century on X'mas Eve and it they have lost the plot.
Don't rate it at all now.

Singapor/Malaysian: Temasek in Parramatta is good. (Must book though)
Kebab: Jimmys in North Parra/Northmead
Jap: Totoya in Neutral Bay
Italian: Fillicudi, in Five Dock

BLISTC
29-12-06, 05:59 PM
sorry guys

i have searched for the best ribs
time and time again, the BEST ribs imo, even BETTER than hurricanes, is @ .....

KELLYs @ Bondi Junction Westfield

omg sooo nice you can suck the meat off the bone.

Hurricanes have a great steak though.

Best steak goes to Im Angus @ Cockle Bay Wharf

seafood: Doyles @ Watsons Bay [try the seafood platter for 2 OMG so nice]

best chinese: well i rate a few, Iron Chef @ Cabramatta, Regal @ City, Tinga Palace @ Parramatta, Golden something or other @ Haymarket lv 5 [they have good yum cha as a result at all these places too]

Kebab: Sydney 2000 Kebabs on Hume Highway @ Bankstown [the reason why they rule is becasue they are the only place i know who cook the bread FIRST then then make the kebab, the other way around is just wrong]

Lebanese Food: im with thomas, the one in granville is great, however, there is also a similar one in guildford on guildford road which is great as well down opposite the coles there

there are a tonne of other foods but too much and too lazy to list lol

-mark

Justin Fox
29-12-06, 06:08 PM
Suga and I ate at that Thai restaurant that you guys suggested, the one in Randwick/The Spot. We had a chicken pad thai + mussaman curry and thought both meals were pretty bad! Maybe it was an off day?

fueltank
29-12-06, 06:31 PM
Try the Thai place in Five Dock on the corner of Janet St and Lyons Road.
I think it's called Thao Dao or something to that effect. Very nice.

Also there is a nice fish and chip's place on Lyons Road in Five Dock opposite Tile Craft.

Middle Man
29-12-06, 09:32 PM
Whats this kebab shit? It's called a YEEROS! :lol:

Greeks invented it, Lebbo's stole it! :evil:

Best one is Victoria Yeeros in Marrickville - hands down :cool:

Daniel - SoAsianDVD
29-12-06, 10:14 PM
Anyone try Tetsuya's yet? I heard it's rated the one of the best restaurants in the world! And it's right here in Sydney - Kent Street.

Japanese cuisine fused with french-style cooking or the other way around... $180p.p ex alcohol, 10 course degustation menu, and with a waiting list that is 6 months+, make your reservations now!

If anyone has an experience there please share it.

mxfly
29-12-06, 10:47 PM

I totally agree with this. So many ppl have told me this was THE best place for Pho, so one day we deicded to trek out to Bankstown for the experience. Before I even sat down i felt the place was like McDonalds where food was just churned out without the love and dedication that food should be given. My noodles felt like it was cooked for 10 hours, while the beef broth didnt taste as good as i've tried elsewhere. I also asked for the beef to be raw and separate to the main bowl but it came fully cooked which i was really pissed off with.

And finally the price... What a rip off.

Other dishonourable mentions.

- Doyles at Watsons Bay is over-rated but the venue is fantastic
- The Summit in the city makes me feel motion sickness because it rotates but the Modern Australian cusine they offer is fantastic
- I hate to say it Denka (haha) but Chinta Ria at Cockle Bay is not actually Malaysian food, but more catered to Westerners who think they are eating real Malay...
- Big Johns, holy shit what can you say about them except their meals are BIG, but that's about it
- Bravos at Crows Nest. They do have 100 or so varieties of pasta dishes but pity the pasta is crap and overcooked
- Pasadena at Church Point. We went there twice on wedding receptions. First time we thought they were having a bad night. Their meals resembled Lean Cusine food, actually that's an insult to Lean Cusines. The 2nd time, surely it'd be a better experience but the only thing that was different was the presence of rain. Honestly I really dont understand how a place like that can keep in business. My parents have owned a restaurant successfully for 30 years and it's such a cut-throat business to be in.

Over the years, we have tend to discover the best places to eat are the ones that no one has ever heard of or been to. Such places exists within dingy dark alleys, or areas where it's not so popular for restaurants to be found. Saying that, there's many great joints that we've been to and are on main roads and are known by everyone.

So my picks would be these.

- Stuvesants House (German-expensive) at Crows Nest. The steaks are a true experience. The hosts who are 2 brothers are the funniest ppl i've met.
- Chez Rene (French-expensive) at Willoughby
- The Malaysian store (budget) at Woolies Townhall food court on Pitt St (Malay of course)
- Saigon (Veitnamese-budget) at Thornleigh
- Jonahs at Whale Beach (Modern Oz-UBER expensive). Food is very minimalist. It's the experience which is devine along with the view
- Milsons at Kirribilli (Modern Oz-exp).
- Le Kilimanjaro (African-it seemed budget but suddenly became moderate) in Newtown. Having your meal with wooden bowls and plates was a unique experience but portions are not big, so order up!
-

speedracr
29-12-06, 11:10 PM
Sushi - Makoto, next to V bar.
Best time to go is at 12pm on the dot, just as they open their doors. It's not as good at dinner time - maybe the chefs are tired and getting a bit sloppy lol.

Japanese 'fast food' - Condor on York St.
Literally across the road from my home. I've been eating there for the past four years and I love it. Their katsu curry is the closest to the ones I have in Japan.

Japanese (medium priced) - Masuya on O'Connell St.
Nice food here. All your regular Jap stuff, and when I went their wagyu beef was perfect, not overcooked at all (which makes the fat marblisation go hard).

Japanese BBQ - Koh-Ya in Neutral Bay
Decent priced buffet. I went with 4 friends and we cleaned em out. For $40, it was good value. We went through like 30 dishes, and we're willing to go again. Suminoya in Martin Place is a similar setup, and is owned by the same company.

Kebab - the small kebab store on the corner of George st and Goulburn st, next to the Irish pub. They're always packed well, they don't come apart like a bastard when you're halfway through.

Breakfast - I love Bill's breakfast.
Its a bit exxy, so don't give if you're only looking for a cheap brekky. Go there wadded up (about $60-70 bucks for two ppl), and choose a seat at the enormous community table. Perfect mag selection (no car mags tho lol), and heaps of newspapers. Its the perfect lazy Sunday. Service is bitchy, and if you go at the wrong time you'll be waiting an hour for a table. Oh, also the original Bill's is a lot better than Bill's 2, which is on crown.

Indo - Java, Randwick.
Get Ayam Bakar Bumbu Bali. Far out, last time I went I ate two servings of it. Nearly ate a third were my belly not so full lol. Been going there for years, although it's been a while since my last visit. Get the same thing everytime. Perhaps time to go back... hmm.. getting hungry now

Viet - yet to find one I like.
I don't like Pho An. Friend found hair and a tooth pick in his soup, which can only mean one thing. Re-used base.

Chinese (cheap) - Superbowl ftw.
Midnight munchies best solution: congee, dough sticks, pipis. Done.

Chinese (regional) - Chinese Noodle Restaurant (near Burlington)
Expect the worse service imaginable: cold tea, getting moved twice during your meal, being crammed in like rats, waiters constantly bumping you, death stares for you to hurry up and leave. But the dumplings and noodles make up for it all. Eaten there quite a few times.

Chinese (expensive) - East Chinese Restaurant, Circular Quay.
I'm not used to eating at expensive Chinese restaurants (kinda against the principle no?), but this was a good feed. Food was great IMO.

Ribs - Hurricanes.

Quick bite - Hannah's Pies (Ultimo), pork roll place owned by Red Roll (in Mascot, forgot the name), Tea Inn (Kingsford), Oportos

Places to avoid at all costs - pretty much every restaurant inside Capitol theatre, Sushi St, Sushi Train, Kansai on Hunter St, Wagamama, Kobe Jones (never been a fan), Tony Romas

mxfly
29-12-06, 11:24 PM
Ahh i've just remembered more!

- Kento in Neutral Bay (Japanese-budget). Possibly the worst looking Japanese restaurant we have ever been to. The inside is rough as guts, and be prepared to stink like tempura as their exhaust fans dont work too well. But christ the food is sensational, and bloody cheap!
- Rahmen Genki in Artarmon (Japanese-budget). Noodles are sensational and huge servings.

jaynismo
29-12-06, 11:48 PM
Food is the #2 love of my life after my car... with plenty of chilli of course!

Tetsuya's is awesome.... I'm not sure what the menu has changed to, but I really enjoyed the Tasmanian Sea Trout and Tetsuya's take on "strawberry shortcake" - basically the strawberry shortcake is served in shot glasses. Everything had caviar sprinkled in it lol.

I tried Rockpool (Neil Perry's restaurant) but that didn't do much for me.

Best Chinese: I generally hate Chinese food, but you cannot go past The Flower Drum in Melbourne.. that is the only circumstance I'll eat Chinese willingly.. a bit dear though

Best Vietnamese: Bun Bo Hue (pronouced boo- bo-weeeh) at my mate's Grandma's viet restaurant in Cabra... its a clear chilli oil soup base with thick rice noodle... The shop name got the name vuong in it somewhere... its on John St

Best Lasagne: Macchiato on cnr of Pitt st & Liverpool st

For real Japanese ramen: Ramen Kan - near Opportos in Chinatown, opposite where the Maccas in Entertainment Centre is - you gotta go up a lift... Just try the chilli soup ramen *drool*

Best Thai: Pratsits (purple building) on Crown St, Surry Hills - try the heaven beef, it really is heaven... and its the only place I've found which do a curry with no coconut milk (for those who are conscious)

Best Felafels: Yuumba at Bondi Junction Westfields - can't believe its a vegetarian joint. Try the pitas...

Best Kebab-shish thingy: Sahara's @ Burwood - Shish kebab served with mixed salad on turkish bread in a roll or open...

Best Chocolate: Max Brennar - I am a suckao junkie...

And I confess: I am a peri peri addict. It ain't good unless you have half the bottle of peri peri sauce poured on your chips, chicken whatever. I'm usually camped outside of Ashfield Nandos :D

Oh and I tried Brazilian BBQ last night at Coogee - I think it's pretty good bang-for-buck $30 a head and you pretty much get all you can eat bbq meats. Its on Coogee Bay Rd called Churrasco

My latest obsession and it's converted every other milkshake junkie: Blueberry & swiss chocolate shake at Ca'dor cafe in Strathfield - if I'm not at Nando's I'm usually there

As you can tell I'm not one to be weight conscious LOL Life's too short :P

JSL
30-12-06, 12:01 AM
In Sydney my fav atm

Chinadoll

Lotus

denka
30-12-06, 12:02 AM
I hate to say it Denka (haha) but Chinta Ria at Cockle Bay is not actually Malaysian food, but more catered to Westerners who think they are eating real Malay...

well I'm pretty aussie so stick it :P

strange you say that though, 4 out of my 5 closest mates are malaysian, and so is the missus, they reckon it's relatively authentic, of course being true malaysians, nothing outside of malaysia is ever good enough full stop.

nath
30-12-06, 12:05 AM
Long grain in Surry Hills

or if I'm in a cheaper/italian kinda mood, then

Il Baretto also in Surry Hills

nath
30-12-06, 12:07 AM
...Tiramisu: my place :D...

YUUUUUMMMMM!

So. When can we come over Babs?

mxfly
30-12-06, 12:15 AM
well I'm pretty aussie so stick it :P

strange you say that though, 4 out of my 5 closest mates are malaysian, and so is the missus, they reckon it's relatively authentic, of course being true malaysians, nothing outside of malaysia is ever good enough full stop.

I've been there on numerous occasions because I used to work right next to Cockle Bay. Then my wife who's also Malaysian took me to a few of her Malay joints, and wow, it was a totally different experience. :)

Babalouie
30-12-06, 12:23 AM
YUUUUUMMMMM!

So. When can we come over Babs?

You missed out...we finished the last of the xmas batch yesterday :D You missed out...it's really good. Ppl come to my house from Italy and they're like ....wow, who taught you to make *this*? :D :D

Anyone try Tetsuya's yet? I heard it's rated the one of the best restaurants in the world! And it's right here in Sydney - Kent Street.

Japanese cuisine fused with french-style cooking or the other way around... $180p.p ex alcohol, 10 course degustation menu, and with a waiting list that is 6 months+, make your reservations now!

If anyone has an experience there please share it.

I went there last week. It's pretty bloody good, one international foodie magazine voted it as second best in the world (#1 is some place in Spain) and chefs all over the world worship Tetsuya.

Whether it is the best or not depends on your point of view. If you were born and raised in an asian house then some of the flavours will seem a little familiar. Beautifully cooked, great ingredients, just familiar. But if you were born western, then it's like wow! Such great flavours! :D

My brother reckons that his last meal at Tetsuyas was the best in his life, as for me I reckon that I prefer european flavours in my hi-end food, so I would rank meals at (say) Claudes and some French or Italian restaurants as being more enjoyable.

To me, I kinda prefer "hearty" food, with lots of robust flavours. Tetsuyas is really delicate, like what MSJ said like things like strawberry shortcake that you mix with a spoon so that it ends up creamy like yoghurt...but it comes in a shotglass, so three spoonfuls later it's gone! Another course was a chilled corn soup with a basil ice-cream (tastes like basil...but ice cream!) so the food is more about mixing delicate flavours that shouldn't work together rather than hearty traditional flavours :)

It's worth going at least once, but yeah it's $180 for the food, plus about $10 per person for mineral water and a bottle of wine is about $140 so it doesn't take much to push the bill to well over a grand for a few ppl :)

So (to draw an automotive parallel) think of an exquisitely engineered kei-car made by an F1 team: everything is carbon fibre, revs to 16,000rpm, magnesium wheels and a jewel-like engine bay.....or would you prefer just a dumb old 6.0L V8 with open pipes and no muffler? :D

tmeksk
30-12-06, 01:55 AM
best chinese: Golden something or other @ Haymarket lv 5 [they have good yum cha as a result at all these places too]
That would be Kam Fook. They’re not bad, great variety when it comes to yum cha… also got branches in Chatswood and Bondi Junction

Chinese (regional) - Chinese Noodle Restaurant (near Burlington)
x2 (if you like northern chinese food). All their flat noodles are handmade and tastes much better than the packaged stuff. Good value for money too..

Malaysian – Agree with fueltank in recommending Temasek. It is one of only a handful of places in Sydney that offers authentic-tasting Malaysian cuisine.

Thai – Longrain in Surry Hills. It’s more Modern Thai than Thai but the food is amazing. The caramelized pork and soft shell crab are must-tries. Make sure you get there before 6pm as they don’t take bookings.

Chinese – Agree with babs – Golden Century for pure quality. Sea Treasure in Crows Nest is not bad also.

Sushi – Makoto on Liverpool street (beneath World Square) and also Victoria Rd Chatswood. As well as those dishes (and desserts) found on the sushi train, the made-to-order hand rolls are awesome. Be prepared for a 15-30min wait for a seat though.

Japanese – Bokkemon although I can’t speak for the current chef. I also agree with Masuya (it’s the same chain as Makoto along with Musashi) for its Wagyu Beef (teriyaki).

Fine Dining – Tetsuya ftw! Quay restaurant at the International Passenger Terminal is very good also.

MR R32
30-12-06, 09:20 AM
Chicken Parmigana:
Trinity Hotel, Surry Hills (Crown St I think).
It's not super classy. but it's so damn tasty!

Steak:
Kelly's Grillhouse, Bondi Junction (Westfield - top level).
South African style cooking. Have the brownies for dessert.

Thai:
Thommy Thai Smile, West Ryde (Victoria Rd).
This place is small, quaint, and the food is fantastic. Great for a group. Cheap as chips too!

Justin Fox
30-12-06, 10:32 AM
Best Maltese: The Maltese Café, 310 Crown St, dirt cheap, walls are plastered with advertising posters for concerts, clubs and theatre productions. Pastizzis are their main thing (be sure to ask for some sauce!). Ricotta Cheese, Peas and the Chicken & Mushroom pastizzi are must tries. The homemade Meat Ravioli is also awesome, coffee's great too!

RaYmO
30-12-06, 06:02 PM
x3 on the Tetsuya Strawberry Shortcake shot...

I wouldnt have minded paying $200 odd for 10 shots of that thing :D

I remembered Truffle Butter... WTF? Truffles were in everything at Tetsuya, but I do remember the desserts, if you like I can post up pics of each dish we had there (managed some covert pics via my mobile phone :D)

Best Yum-Cha = Emperors Garden in Haymarket opposite Market City - Their bakery is pretty good too.

Best Budget Yum-Cha = Golden Jade in Eastwood FTW!

milkman
30-12-06, 06:17 PM
So how much roughly we looking at for a 3 course meal at Tetsuyas?

Haven't been there yet but keen. I know booking will be a PITA. Will need to do so well in advance, correct?

jaynismo
30-12-06, 07:12 PM
I remembered Truffle Butter... WTF? Truffles were in everything at Tetsuya, but I do remember the desserts, if you like I can post up pics of each dish we had there (managed some covert pics via my mobile phone :D)

The truffle butter rocked man, I couldn't get enough! They sell the oyster dressing, salad dressing and truffle butter in speciality food stores but the truffle butter just aint the same (I think they mix it with something else when they serve it at the restaurant)

Maybe they have phases of being obsessed with one ingedient? I don't know.

Babalouie - you must either have connections, or booked well in advance to have gone the other night!

I'm not sure they have 3 course menus.... I thought it was a standard 10 course degustation menu? For the record, last time I went to eat I was there for THREE hours... thats how long it takes for each course to come out, and the waiter to explain what each thing is, and in what order to eat it.

Daniel - SoAsianDVD
30-12-06, 10:42 PM
geez you guys are high rollers!!I love it!

Babs, raymo and MSJ, how long did you guys have to book in advance for?

and happy new year everyone:)

Babalouie
30-12-06, 11:04 PM
So how much roughly we looking at for a 3 course meal at Tetsuyas?

Haven't been there yet but keen. I know booking will be a PITA. Will need to do so well in advance, correct?

No such thing as a 3 course meal at Tetsuyas...just a eleventy billion course degustation menu, if you don't like it, you can get leave :) Every dish is fixed, there is just one optional oyster course and otherwise you just turn up, sit down and the food starts coming out :)

Truffle butter IIRC also contained parmesan in it too...prob with that was that you'd end up filling yourself up with bread!

MSJ: yeah Tetsuya's doctor is a family friend :D Otherwise it's roughly a 6wk wait.

BLISTC
31-12-06, 12:28 AM
Best Maltese: The Maltese Café, 310 Crown St, dirt cheap, walls are plastered with advertising posters for concerts, clubs and theatre productions. Pastizzis are their main thing (be sure to ask for some sauce!). Ricotta Cheese, Peas and the Chicken & Mushroom pastizzi are must tries. The homemade Meat Ravioli is also awesome, coffee's great too!

justin

that place is like the ONLY maltese place i know of besides the actual clubs lol

you should try gato's pastizzi on horsley drive, carramar, 5min walk from my place and they supply most of the pastizzi in sydney they make it there and it is great they have heaps of other flavours too now like pizza and curry which allthough, not what i was brought up on, i like their tastes still [going more mainstream]

can u tell im maltese? lol

ps. my mum makes the best rabbit - period eheh [fenech in maltese] maybe i might have to invite u over one night mate ahahah

oh and a funny thing, in maltese, a slang word for "vagina" or "pussy" is "pastiz" [i think thats the spelling] - can you see the relevance there? ROFL depending on how you use it, it can also mean "idiot" heheh

oh i forgot an honourable mention

Aqua Dining - Above the olympic swimming pool @ milsons point - i went here on valentines day this year.

service was second to none. we had a waiter 1 second away for most of the meal anything at all you need you get. if you sit outside the view is awesome, with the lights making all weird reflections from the pool below to the harbour bridge staring you right in the FACE - food was excellent also. it is kind of a modern australian cusine with a few french elements. a bit on the expensive side set me back $150 for 2 people.

-mark

nath
31-12-06, 01:18 AM
Another vote for the service at Aqua Dining - absolutely amazing. For the money, the combination of food and view is pretty hard to beat though!

They also own ripples cafe at the foot of the bridge at the side of north sydney pool - same great food, same view, just cheaper and a more relaxed environment. It's a perfect daytime date venue.

jaynismo
31-12-06, 09:33 AM

LOL I ain't a high roller, I just like paying exorbitant amounts for good food! Nah its worth it, you wouldn't dine there everyday but it's nice to take someone special or someone who will appreciate it there...it ain't like an "institution" either i.e. a place you have to go because everyone tells you to (one of my caucasian friends calls BBQ King an institution), I think it appeals to everyone in a different way and definitely worth a try - for your OWN curiousity...

I went sometime in April... I only had to wait like a week or something because I think someone cancelled booking - or they're just not that busy around then. I would try to avoid the holiday period like between Nov-Jan because I'd imagine you'd be waiting a lot longer than 6 weeks...

Justin Fox
31-12-06, 09:37 AM
LOL Mark. Pastiz, nice one!

And yes another vote for the service and amazing views at Aqua Dining. Food is so so, but the service + views make it pretty special.

RaYmO
31-12-06, 01:47 PM

and happy new year everyone:)

I called 6 months in advance to book Valentines and it was booked out :(

I settled for a few nights before the 14th of Feb, but yeah it all depends on the date u want and whether or not they have spots. They have limited seats/tables so they do get filled up quick. If you call up and you are in luck, you may be able to get a table on the day you want without too much prior notice, but it is best to call up and check.

daniel
31-12-06, 04:42 PM
Tetsuyas yo!

Also agree with MSJ:44Y's recommendations

mako
01-01-07, 03:49 AM
Pho Ang @ bankstown is overated. Expensive, bland and it taste like stock beef cubes. My mum's Pho is the sheitz... broth is made from scratch over a 1 day period.. after a bowl... you go woozy like a natural high... its not for sale though.

Best Thai is Thai Village in fairfeild across from the RSL. Traditional Loas/Thai with the best anchovie paw-paw salad. They serve duck eggs, ox tongues, beef jerky...

Ribs would be Huricanes at Bondi - you get the whole cow.

Lebanese - Jasmina near bankstown - traditional lebanese food - get the mixed plate and get a wad of garlic on it... bring some chewy... they have really bad service coz it gets stacked out on every weekend

Steak - Canley vale RSL - medium rare t-bone steak with beer battered fries... cheap and cooked to perfecttion. i refuse to eat unless the beer battered fries are available...

Sushi - Sushi Train in Bondi is the best - wen they welcome you, scream back a japanese brand name in a japanese accent like 'TOSHibA' and nod...

Viet/Chinese - same same @ all places...

Fast food pizzas?? Dominos. the rest taste like cardboard...

Hooters - i forgot... i think i had an appetite for something else.

Babalouie
01-01-07, 11:09 AM
Pho Ang @ bankstown is overated. Expensive, bland and it taste like stock beef cubes. My mum's Pho is the sheitz... broth is made from scratch over a 1 day period.. after a bowl... you go woozy like a natural high... its not for sale though.

The best Pho is always home-made, but if you were going out for it and taking a ride on the MSG train then I reckon Pho An is at least reliable...

Lebanese - Jasmina near bankstown - traditional lebanese food - get the mixed plate and get a wad of garlic on it... bring some chewy... they have really bad service coz it gets stacked out on every weekend

Second that for Jasminas. Best felafels in town :) Gotta eat them straight away tho, if you take them away the oil soaks thru the paper bag they serve them in :)

black200
01-01-07, 12:54 PM
sushi - Toko, oxford street paddington end. best i've ever had

thai - ThaiRiffic falcon street, crows nest across the road from woollworths

take my word for it i love my food :D

Daniel - SoAsianDVD
01-01-07, 11:23 PM
sushi - Toko, oxford street paddington end. best i've ever had

lol serious??? I've tried this place and i think its so expensive and the food is nothing to brag about either! lol anyway different tastes, I think MAKOTO on cnr Liverpool and Pitt street is the best sushi train, but thats pricey too...

henrysan
02-01-07, 02:03 AM
top thread here...
lotsa nice suggestions to try out for '07.
hehehe.

anyway just going to add a few of my favourites

jap: more votes for ichibanboshi and ramenkan... the tan tan ramen at ramen kan totally rocks my socks. but i'll also give a mention to sushi suma on cleveland st. kobe jones is great too, but their standard has definitely slipped... maybe too concerned about renovations and opening new branches.

chinese: definitely sea bay. can't go past the handmade noodles and dumplings.

indo: pinangsia noodle house on anzac parade

pizza: arthurs at randwick/ the spot (and new york pizza on oxford for a late night fix)

korean: havent tried that many but have always had a good meal/ time at hanabi on liverpool st.

Brian_J
02-01-07, 02:30 AM
jap:
sushi bar rashai at annandale on parra road. great great food all the time but service is a bit slow
hukuya at eastwood on the corner near the station. its actually korean/jap but its always got really fresh sushi/sashimi and at great prices

charcoal chicken!:
chucky's charcoal chicken on guildford road opposite the coles. i think its been mentioned under lebanese. wouldnt exaclty say its lebanese but it does have middle eastern influences. dining in is great, coz ur chicken comes with pickles and lebanese bread as well. friendly as hell too.
another charcoal chicken place at strathfield cant remeber the name, but it its next to gloria jeans at strathfield square. always crowded and their portuguese style chilli chicken is to die for.

thai:
thai pothong in newtown. not your usual thai food. got very developed and spicy (not neccesarily chilli) dishes. friday and saturday nights will see a line to this place like a nightclub - bookings a must. quite expensive too

italian (cheap)
mario's right close to croydon station. small family owned restaurant that will again be packed on friday and saturday nights. have many wood fired pizzas and pasta dishes. excellent value with generous servings! put it this way, i go with the family, we order a pizza to share as entre and i will need to order entre sized pasta if im to finish it all

daniel
02-01-07, 02:10 PM
I went to eat I was there for THREE hours... thats how long it takes for each course to come out, and the waiter to explain what each thing is, and in what order to eat it.

I think if you tell em your in a hurry to catch a show or something they will increase the serving rate lolz However its more enjoyable to eat slow ;)

Babalouie
02-01-07, 03:01 PM
I think if you tell em your in a hurry to catch a show or something they will increase the serving rate lolz However its more enjoyable to eat slow ;)

Yeah, for $250 per head with drinks you wanna stretch out the experience IMHO :) Chew slowly :D

[ekkY]
02-01-07, 03:32 PM
Best Chinese/Viet: ironchef in cabramatta, superbowl for congee,pho an

Best Italian: Mario's @ Croydon, near the station

Jap - Masuya still the best, and sushi train @ bondi.

laos/Thai - Twelve spices @ fairfield west along st johns road

Middle East - Ahmets in QLD best place out, Yasmins @ punchbowl near the station

Steak - Canley Heights Bistro, and Hurricanes grills

as you can see, most people have different taste buds and they rekon, city has the best place for food, not really IMO some restaurants in city are over rated adn the taste of their food sometimes aim at the Australian/European people as for the asians we will critise the taste of the food and how it should be and how it should be cook.
so anywhere you go, the food will be the same, its just the place will be a whole different atmosphere and the price of it aswell. :) :) :) :)

[ekkY]
02-01-07, 03:32 PM
Best Chinese/Viet: ironchef in cabramatta, superbowl for congee,pho an

Best Italian: Mario's @ Croydon, near the station

Jap - Masuya still the best, and sushi train @ bondi.

laos/Thai - Twelve spices @ fairfield west along st johns road

Middle East - Ahmets in QLD best place out, Yasmins @ punchbowl near the station

as you can see, most people have different taste buds and they rekon, city has the best place for food, not really IMO some restaurants in city are over rated adn the taste of their food sometimes aim at the Australian/European people as for the asians we will critise the taste of the food and how it should be and how it should be cook.
so anywhere you go, the food will be the same, its just the place will be a whole different atmosphere and the price of it aswell. :) :) :) :)

patto
02-01-07, 04:12 PM
Best chinese - My gf's dads restaurant in Waitara!

Best Modern Australian - ARIA - Matt Morans restaurant next to the Opera house. This place was amazing both food and location. The quality of the food was mind blowing. However cost $250 for 2 people. But worth every cent. I'll be going back when I get some cash.

Best Italian - Mediterranean Gourmet Pizza in Marsfield.

Best ribs and steak - Ribs and rumps in Gordon

Best Modern Asian - China Doll at Wooloomooloo Wharf. Huge dishes makes it worth the money. Great food.

Best Pizza - Christina's Pizzeria in Thornleigh.

daniel
02-01-07, 05:48 PM
Yeah, for $250 per head with drinks you wanna stretch out the experience IMHO :) Chew slowly :D

Haha yeh I agree! the only thing I munched down fast was the wagyu beef coz I had two servings thanks to my friend's special order :mrgreen:

mxfly
03-01-07, 01:56 AM
All this talking about food we decided to head to a well known joint called Sydney Cove Oyster Bar near the Opera House. Be prepared to spend because it's not cheap by any means. Mains are like $35 up and there's not a whole lot of choice in the menu.

Entrees we tried out the dips and bread and the most expensive ceasar salad we've tried coming in at $23. Although the salad was quite tasty (well it's the dressing which makes or breaks it), the portion was quite small.

Mains we had a 2 person seafood platter and the roast lamb. I'll just say one thing: Dont go there for the roast. And the platter for 2 was really a size for 1.

The surrounding and ambience however was pretty good, so I guess it's what you're mostly paying for.

BLISTC
04-01-07, 01:18 AM
;23832']Best Chinese/Viet: ironchef in cabramatta, superbowl for congee,pho an

iron chef is very nice aye. i had yum cha there for like the 50th time today lol

dude im at canley bistro every 2nd day lol eating there

their food is damn good for the price no wonder i always eat there

i love their chips, and they have very nice steak and ribs there too better than tony romas lol and its like 1/4 the price

then once u finished eating u can spend the money u saved by having a slap on big red or something lol

there is a black ralliart colt always parked outside the bistro there i think someone owns it

oh the resturant next door to the bistro aint too bad either. they have these awesome cheese bread thingos which are fuckin DELICIOUS. i think its a serbian resturant or something

[ekkY]
04-01-07, 02:39 PM
iron chef is very nice aye. i had yum cha there for like the 50th time today lol

dude im at canley bistro every 2nd day lol eating there

their food is damn good for the price no wonder i always eat there

i love their chips, and they have very nice steak and ribs there too better than tony romas lol and its like 1/4 the price

then once u finished eating u can spend the money u saved by having a slap on big red or something lol

there is a black ralliart colt always parked outside the bistro there i think someone owns it

oh the resturant next door to the bistro aint too bad either. they have these awesome cheese bread thingos which are fuckin DELICIOUS. i think its a serbian resturant or something

Ironchef yum cha is the Bomb, gets pack there like around 11am so make sure get there early.
the desserts, Mango pancake YuM *drools*

canley heights bistro food looks small, but its dam filling
dams you go there every 2nd day LoL, dont you get sick of it? :)

eug4emi
21-10-07, 02:10 PM
argh where to start, food, bball, cars and women is my life :) This thread is great for all's dining out!

Just my 2 cents of food in Sydney for my 14 or 15 yrs in here, maybe I will do a global one later when i cbf hehe

Indo: Java in randwick is great, tried the fried chicken there with their chilli, there's also a few more great ones, when I can manage to google their names I will post here

Chinese: Late night or casual dinning at superbowl next to Y2K is the best, might be dirty and packed, but does the job , try won ton (best in Sydney IMO), beef brisket and all sorts of congee there

Also try ming hai next to the church on george st, best fried rice and salty/fried chicken

I dont really have a favourite proper big dining chinese place, but fook yuen in chats or the massive one used to be on top of market city is pretty good (4-5 yrs ago before it changed owners)

Malaysian: Tamasek in Parra is good, same with Itstana (?) in Thornleigh food complex (best chicken rice) or in Parra on church st, also try laksa in UTS main building food court or To's on Miller st in nth syd

Indian / Sri Lankan - Theres a north indian place on king st in newtown, but best have to be Sri Lankan place call Flavours of ceylon in Parra, best best curry.

Steak - Hmm...kind of hard, but can't go wrong with Prime at GPO Martin place, Kingsley at king st wharf, or big Johns italian in san souci - massive steak and try its mushroom sauce

Italian - big johns at san souci makes great food at affordable price and the portion is huge, but beware sometimes its good sometimes when its busy (as usual) the food is inconsistent - try steak as above, seafood marinara pasta, chicken caesar

I reckon the italian places at forum in leichardt is pretty tourist crap, not that great...

Quick unhealthy when you are drunk food: Kebabs at Epping next to Mobil petrol station, try mixed kebab (chicken beef lamb) wiht chilli garlic and bbq, nandos is always food with its godly chilli sauce, and fried chicken at stratty next to gloria jeans or the one in cabra opposite a camera shop where the main area is

Jap - i accompany my gf for jap every week, best sushi is at makoto city hands down, dining is masuya in city, shiki at the rocks, totoya in netural bay for its skewers, but always can't go wrong with sushi at fish markets

Would love to try tetsuya one day but its classified as fusion i guess, kobe jones is fusion too but its decent, try the 'number 1', salmon skin salad and dynamite roll

Modern Australia etc - Havent tried a place better than Aria in opera house area - everyone must bring their chick there to impress her :)

Thai - still exploring this section, but thai foon in darling harbour is pretty good

Lao - have to go fairfield! forgot its name, the one near station next to furniture place

Viet - Cant go wrong with Cabra, pick the small dodgy ones in the alley ways, they are pretty authentic, but a good weird one that surprised me is a chinese place in hornsby westfield foodcourt, the one in bankstown is ok but overrated

chr1s
21-10-07, 02:26 PM
Steak - big Johns italian in san souci - massive steak and try its mushroom sauce

ohhh yeah, good choice there, big johns is the shit, i had a steak there once, it's MASSIVE and the mushroom sauce is better !

I reckon the italian places at forum in leichardt is pretty tourist crap, not that great...

yeah the forum is over-rated

Chicken - Dougies at hurstville, their burgers are insane

Greek - Santorini on rocky point rd ramsgate or Eleni's kitchen on Lygon st (melbourne)

Kebab: Brothers Kebab in rockdale/banksia on princess highway

Yeeros - Victoria Yeeros in marrickville

Seafood - Lugarno Seafood

Jap - sushi train in the city ? LOL only place i've ever been to for jap.

Modern Australia - Pancakes on the rocks

Thai - I-Thai at darling harbour next to cockle bay whalf

kousoku
21-10-07, 03:43 PM
Japanese (sushi) - Azuma | Cbd

Japanese (Ramen) - Kyo Ramen | crows nest

Italian (Pizza) - Pizza e Birra | surry hills

Italian (Pasta) - Buon Ricordo | darlinghurst

Indian - Nilgiris | StLeonards

Fusion - Longgrain | surry hills

French - Est./Guiliamme | Cbd/opera house

Mod oz - Aria | Cbd

Thai - Sailors Thai | The Rocks

Cafe - Artisan foccaciaria | Darlignhurts

Bakery - Burke St bakery | Surry hills

Steak - Iceburgs | Bondi

Coffee - Bar quattro | Cbd

Kaotic
21-10-07, 03:55 PM
Lebanese food- "Eljanos" in Grandville? not 100% sure on the spelling but its realy nice, Just order a chicken which comes with 2 types of pickles, garlic sauce and leb bread, and a bown of chips!!

Thai- My mates thai restaurant on New town... called "Thai La Ong"

Cafe- HOMERS!!!

OVTEC
21-10-07, 04:09 PM
best pho: Pho An (apparently theres rumors that there is drugs in the food thats y ppl keep coming back because they're addicted)

Best value for money: Cooks Hill on Cabramatta Rd $8 Tbone + chips+Salad+drink

Best Taco: This little kiosk in Campbelltown next to Caltex on Queen St, I SHIT YOU NOT THEY ARE THE BEST TACOS!!!

chr1s
21-10-07, 04:20 PM
Best value for money: Cooks Hill on Cabramatta Rd $8 Tbone + chips+Salad+drink

you sure ? :P

intersection tavern does steaks, chips salad for $6 :)

jeffske
21-10-07, 04:31 PM
Burgers:
but the best burgers are at oxford st.
a new chain that desrve big success.
Burgerlicious.
do yourself a favour and try em.

any idea what time these guys open until on w/ends?

minix3
21-10-07, 05:18 PM
agree with kaotic about that place in granville

jap; iwa in chatswood. its kinda new, and serves more contemporary jap food as well as the usual sushi and tempura type food

shang; that place in eastwood thats always packed.. opposite blue star hair dressing

yum cha; the phoenix place in rhodes

viet; either parra or the place opposite rta in thornleigh called saigon

steak; for reasonably priced steak hogs breath is good. only the castle hill one but.. the parra one is pretty bad

Mr Happ
21-10-07, 06:06 PM
Some of my favourites -

Japanese : Curry, Ryo's Noodles at Crows Nest. Izakaya, Totoya at Neutral Bay, On the South side - Hiro's at Beverly Hills is the only one worth going to. Ramen Genki is Ok for the price too.

Thai : Agree Thai Pothong on King St is very, very good.

Yeeros : Victoria Yeeros Marrickville - the best in Sydney.

Shanghainese : Shanghai Night in Ashfield, excellent stuff.

Peking Duck : BBQ King

JDM 15L
21-10-07, 06:31 PM
mmmm food... i heart food!

If you are looking in the west, aka parramatta, JDM 20T use to work at Montezumas on church st and i heart their food to bits, it's very tasty (for those who are willing to try something different... it is traditional mexican not "have-some-doritos-and-mince-meat-slapped-on-top-nachos") and the price is right! :)

oh and there are about 4 thai restraunts in merrylands, all equally amazing.

Pizza: Nikki's Pizza further up Merrylands has some quality stuff ;)

Buddah
21-10-07, 08:15 PM
you sure ? :P

intersection tavern does steaks, chips salad for $6 :)

haha i was goin to say the same thing when i saw Ovtec's post.

Chr1s, where's that seafood place that you reccommened "lugarno seafood" sounds like its just down the street. Might go check it out, it's your typical fish n chips joint im presuming?

denka
22-10-07, 12:58 AM
New best thai place in Sydney ever. At the back of the Bank Hotel - Sumalee Thai.

Highly recommend barramundi fillets in Red curry!

kousoku
22-10-07, 01:08 AM
If you are looking in the west, aka parramatta, JDM 20T use to work at Montezumas on church st and i heart their food to bits, it's very tasty (for those who are willing to try something different... it is traditional mexican not "have-some-doritos-and-mince-meat-slapped-on-top-nachos") and the price is right! :)
)

LOL you seroius?!

Montezumas is as tex mex as it gets... Seroiusly if you want to see what real mexican food is about goto Vera Cruz in Cremorne.. They dont even have nachos on the menu.

MFN-MAN
22-10-07, 01:11 AM
Lebanese food- "Eljanos" in Grandville? not 100% sure on the spelling but its realy nice, Just order a chicken which comes with 2 types of pickles, garlic sauce and leb bread, and a bown of chips!!

El-Jahah! ;)

that place is the shizzle for sure...

black200
22-10-07, 01:15 AM
who does good pho in the chatswoodish area? anyone? I'm severely addicted :(

kula
22-10-07, 01:50 AM
sailors thai compared to thai patonga is like prime compared to lonestar.

minix3
22-10-07, 04:23 AM

well im not sure if it really counts as chatswoodish area but the one in thornleigh is quite nice. opposite rta =]

CoffeeBoss
22-10-07, 08:37 AM

Lol, make that two.

Kikkoman
22-10-07, 09:56 AM

Its not the pho that has you addicted, its the msg!
lol

[ekkY]
22-10-07, 12:52 PM
what about korean food?
where the best place to go

JDM 15L
22-10-07, 01:46 PM
LOL you seroius?!

Montezumas is as tex mex as it gets... Seroiusly if you want to see what real mexican food is about goto Vera Cruz in Cremorne.. They dont even have nachos on the menu.

"in the west" yo.

felixR
22-10-07, 01:50 PM
Have you guys been to Balzac, Randwick?

eug4emi
22-10-07, 03:10 PM

one of the only place i am aware of for pho in chatswood is on top level of mandarin center, on the corner of the food court, should still exist

eug4emi
22-10-07, 03:12 PM
;122232']what about korean food?
where the best place to go

try the place on the top level on the fuji jap restaraunt building on george st, forgot its name, on top of delifrance

otherwise head to stratty, can't go wrong there, korean town! Go on the other side of the station where the big round about is, on that bend near the hospital..theres a bbq place where people can sit outside, it's quite good and authentic

OVTEC
22-10-07, 03:12 PM
Some of my favourites -

Japanese : Curry, Ryo's Noodles at Crows Nest. Izakaya, Totoya at Neutral Bay, On the South side - Hiro's at Beverly Hills is the only one worth going to. Ramen Genki is Ok for the price too.

Thai : Agree Thai Pothong on King St is very, very good.

Yeeros : Victoria Yeeros Marrickville - the best in Sydney.

Shanghainese : Shanghai Night in Ashfield, excellent stuff.

Peking Duck : BBQ King

gotta agree with Hiro at beverly hills for japanese and also Sushi Bar Rashai on parramatta rd Annandale

and best burgers are at Chiefs in Ingleburn :D

Julz01
22-10-07, 03:13 PM
obento on the top level food court in Melbourne central , great takeaway japanese food oyuko don with extra chicken FTW

vtec-NA.th
22-10-07, 05:33 PM
No specific best food, but there's this place called MINT cafe/bar or something at the end of Bridge Street near Circular Quay. It serves great $25 lunches (main, side and a glass of wine) and has the most awesome atmosphere ever!

There's also an all you can eat Korean BBQ place at North Parra for $28. Went there a few weeks ago and there's no time limit and the meat is really nice there :D. Gained like 5kg eating there. T_T

Sushi - definitely UMI (opposite Capitol Theatre) for best presentation and atmosphere. I go there about twice a month

Nightingale
22-10-07, 07:07 PM
For Sydney (IMHO of course)...this isn't necessarily the best or most expensive, but for various reaons are my favourite :D

Chinese: Gotta go with Golden Century
Italian: Dolcissimo's in Haberfield
French: Claudes in Paddo or La Goulou in Crows Nest
Jap: Ichiban Boshi in the TGV

Or be dish specific:

Pizza: Dolcissimo's
Gelato: Dolcissimo's
Ribs: Rib's n Rumps in Gordon
Yakiniku: Rengaya in Nth Sydney
Katsu Curry: Ichiban Boshi
Steak: La Grillade in Willoughby
Sushi: Sakana-ya in Crows Nest
Singapore Chili Crab: Kampong (on Pitt St)...real toast :)
Hainanese Chicken Rice: Temasek in Parra
Tiramisu: my place :D
Congee: Superbowl
Chicken & salt-fish fried rice: Superbowl
Peking Duck Pancake: Lucky Garden in Lindfield
Pho: Pho An I guess although my mother in law's Pho is the bomb :D

...hmm...I think I just gave away my favourite things to eat :D

+1 for Temasek in parra for Singaporean/Malaysian food. Everything there is pretty good except the chilli crab, which isn't really chilli at all.

Cappuccino
22-10-07, 07:21 PM
If you like portugese food i would head to El Divino which located on Audley St Petersham awesome food and it serves more traditional portugese foods rather then chicken :P good place for some portugese chicken is little portugal on marrickville rd dulwhich hill and also silvias on new canturbury rd petersham.

I didnt see portugese foods mentioned so i though i would add some varierty :P

jeffske
22-10-07, 07:27 PM
try the place on the top level on the fuji jap restaraunt building on george st, forgot its name, on top of delifrance

otherwise head to stratty, can't go wrong there, korean town! Go on the other side of the station where the big round about is, on that bend near the hospital..theres a bbq place where people can sit outside, it's quite good and authentic

thats seoul-ria (im korean and its not that great)
are you after a particular type of korean food, krn bbq or just old school decent krn cooking?
i just remembered a krn place i liked "sydney madang" its on pitt st. its off the st so its a bit hard to find, but its near greenbox

chr1s
22-10-07, 07:28 PM
haha i was goin to say the same thing when i saw Ovtec's post.

Chr1s, where's that seafood place that you reccommened "lugarno seafood" sounds like its just down the street. Might go check it out, it's your typical fish n chips joint im presuming?

look on whereis for lugarno, and go to the end of forest rd in lugarno :mrgreen:

just google it, i live in lugarno so it literally is down the st LOL.

it's not a typical fish and chips joint, it's pretty exxy but the food is AWESOME.. and i love my seafood.

danielb
23-10-07, 02:11 AM

There's an ok pho place in one of the streets that runs under westfields. Spring St according to whereis.com.

It's one of those shops outside/underneath westfields.

Buddah
23-10-07, 10:26 AM
Ahh nice chris, yeah I'm just up the street in riverwood. Is it at the Lugarno shops with the two round abouts?

Wouldn't have gone to peaky high would you?

chr1s
23-10-07, 10:29 AM
lol, I went to peaky, what year did you graduate?

Nah not there, keep following forest road, alll the way down to the water (you know where it is?) and it's right at the end, i can show you one day if you like lol...

Trolls Royce
23-10-07, 10:54 AM
You're in Chatswood??

There's a place just off Victoria Ave that does reasonable pho, not great, but reasonable.

Perhaps a Chatswood Pho expedition is in order??

black200
23-10-07, 12:01 PM
You're in Chatswood??

There's a place just off Victoria Ave that does reasonable pho, not great, but reasonable.

Perhaps a Chatswood Pho expedition is in order??

ok nice so that is 4 pho joints in chatswood! phorawl!

yeah i'm practically in artamon Chris... around the corner :)

Justin Fox
23-10-07, 01:36 PM
LOL Charlie - PHOOOOO!!!!!

If anyone's up for it, the ROO at Clovelly Pub, by Clovelly Beach, is just AWESOME.

Buddah
23-10-07, 01:39 PM
Oh down at the boat ramp, yeah i know that place man... I'm down there sometimes with my mates. Sheesh would have been a while now... probably 03-04 i think maybe 02... haha i cant remember. It was just after they introduced oatley, thats all i can remember.

How bout you chris. what year did u graduate?

chr1s
23-10-07, 02:45 PM
lol jesus, I think you were in the same year as Mathew Wallace hahah

I graduated this year..

CoffeeBoss
23-10-07, 04:47 PM
Sydneysider here:
Italian: we always go back to Taste of Italy in Pyrmont and Moretti's on Norton St. Tey are the only places that have been consistent and top notch in the nearly 10 years we've been going there. Caesar's in the forum is notable but not as good as it used to be. Napoli in Boca in Haberfield was ok last time I went there a while ago now, mainly for the son and nonna screaming at each other in Italian and smashing plates in the kitchen. "The taste of authenticity". But for something special: Grappa at the City West Link end of Norton St is excellent, and for something truly special, La Sala in Surry Hills is exceptional. Gee, that's most of my favourites right there!

It's not Japanese (it's fusion, lah di dah), but Kobe Jones is pretty good - nice bar, good position on King St wharf. Otherwise it's 'JDM Mall' (Artarmon) or Ichiban Boshi in Bondi Junction, cause it's an old favourite. Found an awesome place behind QVB also, it's downstairs next to that fantasy/book place. Can't recall the name.

Fave Thai at the moment is Doytao Thai in Newtown.

When I think Chinese, I'm thinking duck at BBQ King, or those fried bread sticks with some congee Superbowl.

And that Pho place Charlie took me too on the weekend. W00t!

Breakfast at Bills in Darlo or Bills2 in Surry Hills. The waitstaff tend to treat you like the great unwashed, but the scrambled eggs and callebeut hot chocolate are to die for.

Lastly, if we're talking 'best food' I had one of the most amazing meals of my life last year at White Castle Wanaka in, yes, New Zealand. I'd fly there every weekend if I could afford such a decadent lifestyle just to eat at that place. (And for the awesome driving as well, it must be said).

More locally though, a night drive into the Blue Mountains to eat at Darleys at Lillianfels is also a bit spesh. But that's an expensive night out!

*Phew* and i'm spent.

black200
23-10-07, 04:49 PM
LOL Charlie - PHOOOOO!!!!!

If anyone's up for it, the ROO at Clovelly Pub, by Clovelly Beach, is just AWESOME.

i've been going to saigon at least once a week since i was at BC... sooo addicted :(

NinjaDust77
23-10-07, 05:28 PM
soo many food places to check out... wanna get my grub on~!
heres my 5cents...

- Enigma @ Brighton le sands, Greek yum-cha place (i think i was greek in my former life)
- Harrys Singapore Chilli crabs @ Surry hills (the best place for asian style crabs and lobsters)
- Long Grain @ Surry Hills (really nice thai food, probly the best actually)
- Raby Chinese take away @ Raby, Campbelltown (the best chinese hands down, special fried rice and boneless lemon chicken is the bomb!)
- Pho 54 @ Cabra (always go for the 'special pho'!!)
- Lowenbrau @ The rocks (luvvv the pork belly and the pork knuckle along with the side dishes)

tmeksk
23-10-07, 11:39 PM
ok nice so that is 4 pho joints in chatswood! phorawl!

yeah i'm practically in artamon Chris... around the corner :)

Yep there's definitely a few viet places around chatswood. The one Anabolic's talking about is prolly the best.. it's actually located on Archer St, between Vodafone and GPK. The Spring St one is not as good, and the Lemon Grove one is terrible. The Mandarin Centre shop doesn't exist anymore, it's now a jap restaurant as of the start of this year.

Ryo's Noodles at Crows Nest
Yep gotta agree with that. The Tokyo Ramen there rocks. :D

EGG80X
23-10-07, 11:41 PM
Yep there's definitely a few viet places around chatswood. The one Anabolic's talking about is prolly the best.. it's actually located on Archer St, between Vodafone and GPK. The Spring St one is not as good, and the Lemon Grove one is terrible. The Mandarin Centre shop doesn't exist anymore, it's now a jap restaurant as of the start of this year.

omfg Ken you're still alive!!!

tmeksk
24-10-07, 12:46 AM
omfg Ken you're still alive!!!

Indeed! Haven't spent much time in syd this year tho :(

G'day to those who know me. :)

black200
24-10-07, 12:49 AM

welcome back kenny! thanks for the advice! haha

OVTEC
24-10-07, 01:37 AM
oh i nearly forgot, best malaysian has to be at Temasek at Parramatta

http://www.yourrestaurants.com.au/guide/?action=venue&venue_url=temasek

nasigoreng
24-10-07, 11:49 PM
For genuine Indo food Pondok Buyung on the corner of Anzac and Ascot St Kensington is the place ! Ayam Goreng 99 is also good.

GTking
25-10-07, 08:59 AM
For genuine Indo food Pondok Buyung on the corner of Anzac and Ascot St Kensington is the place ! Ayam Goreng 99 is also good.

I love Ayam Goreng 99 @ Kingsford Anzac pde
Used to go there like every weekend
love the grilled chicken thigh and alot of sam bal
Yumm!

RaYmO
25-10-07, 07:14 PM
If you guys are ever in the Blue Mountains, Ashcrofts in Blackheath is farken unbelieveable...

Make sure you get the creme brulee after the meal ;)

Peaking Duck
25-10-07, 10:39 PM
for the RIBS Lovers:
"Im Angus" - Cockle Bay Wharf.. full rack for $28ish
(u think hurricanes is good?! think again!!)

cheap asian food any time:
Anywhere along canley vale road, canley heights

For After clubbing but not wanting kebabs:
"John st Bakery" cabramatta .
24hours.
"Banh Mi Thit / pork rolls".
(better after 3am though coz the bread is Frresh!!)

for a group that cant decide:
"Kellys Restaurant" Bondi junction westfields - top floor

---------------------------------

what i wanna know is,
WHERES THE beST PEKING DUCK~!?!?!?!?

RaYmO
25-10-07, 11:41 PM
Meat & Wine Co > Hurricanes

minix3
26-10-07, 12:10 AM
best peking duck = bamboo terrace in melbourne

denka
26-10-07, 02:18 AM
Meat & Wine Co > Hurricanes

no fkn way

meat & wine co is the most overated place in sydney, Hurricanes steak is the only place I've been where I didn't need gravy.

walkie86
27-10-07, 10:28 AM
What's the deal??

I'm pretty sure noone has mentioned burgers in Sydney at all!

Poor form. so I'll guess I'll have to add a couple...

Burger Fuel in Newtown
Bite Me! in Paddington
Bar Contessa in Balmain
Exchange Hotel in Balmain - lunch time burgers

And you guys must not have spent much time in Balmain because there are a BILLION Thai restaurants with most above average & a couple are phenomenal...

Balmain Food
(Expensive-ish Thai) Blue Ginger (best salt & pepper squid ever)
(Weird Thai) Pommegranate - IMO the best thai I've ever had, anywhere but it is completely non-Aussie Thai... i don't know how to describe it but they DON'T have pad thai, massaman or green curry etc
(Thai) Honourable mentions also to Chopsticks and Tuk Tuk on Darling St

(Chinese) Balmain Star - only one in Balmain as far as I'm away but **** it's the best I've had in a long time

(Coffee) Little Marionette - just off Darling St next to Gladstone park. The shop is 10 sq.m so you can go & sit in the park & they bring coffee and food over to you.
(Coffee) Bertonis - good coffee & you have to try the Chambella(?)... it's a big cinnamon donut, cut in & half & Nutella spread inside then toasted...

(Pizza) Rossopommodoro - this just one some award for best pizza in Sydney & it is well deserved... they are very traditional Italian with little meat but lots of rocket, cheese & tomato... it's unbelievable how good they are

Other places outside Balmain...

(Fish & Chips) someone mentioned Ocean Foods in Drummoyne but best I've ever had was a few years ago was down in Bateman's Bay just past the bridge... it backed onto the water where there fishing boat unloaded they mornings catch still flapping around just before they cooked it...

(Pies) Pie in the Sky is pretty good, as is the shop at Kirribili just near the station. Also found a Darling St bakery in Balmain which had surprisingly awesome Pototoe pies

(Italian) Lindoni's in Noosa was insanely good (but expensive). it was highly rated in recent restaurant guide i read

(Restaurants) Cafe Sydney @ the top of Customs House in Circ Quay is always good & has to be one of the best veniews around. My parents recently went to Est. and said it was unbelievable and the service was the best they've ever seen.

(Sushi) i had Sushi randomly at this little place just opposite the BP that's next door to UNSW which was really good. Any of the local guys been there? Maybe it was just because I wasn't expecting it.

doofus
28-10-07, 07:20 PM
what i wanna know is,
WHERES THE beST PEKING DUCK~!?!?!?!?

beverly hills!!! :D

doofus
28-10-07, 07:21 PM
What's the deal??

Burger Fuel in Newtown
Bite Me! in Paddington
Bar Contessa in Balmain

And you guys must not have spent much time in Balmain because there are a BILLION Thai restaurants with most above average & a couple are phenomenal...

Balmain Food
(Expensive-ish Thai) Blue Ginger (best salt & pepper squid ever)
(Weird Thai) Pommegranate - IMO the best thai I've ever had, anywhere but it is completely non-Aussie Thai... i don't know how to describe it but they DON'T have pad thai, massaman or green curry etc
(Thai) Honourable mentions also to Chopsticks and Tuk Tuk on Darling St

(Chinese) Balmain Star - only one in Balmain as far as I'm away but **** it's the best I've had in a long time

(Coffee) Little Marionette - just off Darling St next to Gladstone park. The shop is 10 sq.m so you can go & sit in the park & they bring coffee and food over to you.
(Coffee) Bertonis - good coffee & you have to try the Chambella(?)... it's a big cinnamon donut, cut in & half & Nutella spread inside then toasted...

(Pizza) Rossopommodoro - this just one some award for best pizza in Sydney & it is well deserved... they are very traditional Italian with little meat but lots of rocket, cheese & tomato... it's unbelievable how good they are

Other places outside Balmain...

(Fish & Chips) someone mentioned Ocean Foods in Drummoyne but best I've ever had was a few years ago was down in Bateman's Bay just past the bridge... it backed onto the water where there fishing boat unloaded they mornings catch still flapping around just before they cooked it...

(Pies) Pie in the Sky is pretty good, as is the shop at Kirribili just near the station. Also found a Darling St bakery in Balmain which had surprisingly awesome Pototoe pies

(Italian) Lindoni's in Noosa was insanely good (but expensive). it was highly rated in recent restaurant guide i read

(Restaurants) Cafe Sydney @ the top of Customs House in Circ Quay is always good & has to be one of the best veniews around. My parents recently went to Est. and said it was unbelievable and the service was the best they've ever seen.

(Sushi) i had Sushi randomly at this little place just opposite the BP that's next door to UNSW which was really good. Any of the local guys been there? Maybe it was just because I wasn't expecting it.

there is a place called 'In and Out Burgers' in the US. OMG! YUMM!

speedracr
28-10-07, 09:18 PM
What's the deal??

Burger Fuel in Newtown
Bite Me! in Paddington
Bar Contessa in Balmain

Wagyu Beef burger at Bills 2. With a glass of Pellegrino its perfect!

I also don't mind a late-night burger at Dee Bee's in Double Bay

OVTEC
28-10-07, 11:37 PM
oh and i nearly forgot for my birthday every year i head up to Lee Central Park right next door to Thornleigh Maccaz for a special Shark Fin Soup :D:D:D my dad friend owns the place so its really relaxing and the food is really good as well i actually just got back from there :D

eug4emi
23-04-08, 11:37 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/worlds-best-restaurants-named/2008/04/22/1208742918703.html

Interesting how many top places to eat are in Spain, well atleast Tetsuya came 9th

eug4emi
08-10-08, 08:57 PM
Anyone tried Hemme's new complex at 330 George St? Ivy bar, sushi joint, Mad Cow NY style grill etc? Any feedback?

http://www.merivale.com/#/ivy/madcow

On another note, 09 smh food guide out, Quay won rest of the yr

THREE HATS
Bilson's, Claude's, est, Marque, Pier, Quay, Tetsuya's

TWO HATS
Aria, Becasse, Bentley Restaurant & Bar, Berowra Waters, Bistro Ortolan, Buon Ricordo, Forty One, Guillaume at Bennelong, Icebergs Dining Room & Bar, Lucio's, Pilu at Freshwater, Restaurant Balzac, Rockpool, Universal Restaurant, Yoshii

ONE HAT
Assiette, A tavola, Azuma, The Bather's Pavilion Restaurant, Bird Cow Fish, Bistro CBD, Bistro Moncur, Bistrode, The Boathouse on Blackwattle Bay, The Burlington Bar and Dining, Catalina, Civic Dining, Fish Face, Flying Fish, Four in Hand Dining Room, Foveaux Restaurant + Bar, Glebe Point Diner, Grand National, Jonah's, The Light Brigade, Longrain, Milsons, Oscillate Wildly, Otto Ristorante, Ottoman Cuisine, Perama, Pier Tasting Room, Restaurant Arras, Sailor's Thai Restaurant, Sean's Panaroma, The Wharf Restaurant

REGIONAL HATS

TWO HATS
Darley's, Fins, Rock, Vulcans
ONE HAT
Artespresso, Bamboo, Bells at Killcare, Caveau, Courgette, Eschalot, Katers, Lochiel House, Neila, No 2 Oak Street, The Old George & Dragon, Ottoman Cuisine, Pacific Dining Room, Restaurant II, Restaurant Como, The School House, Tonic, Zest Restaurant

TOP AWARDS

Vittoria Coffee Restaurant of the Year
QUAY

Chef of the Year
JUSTIN NORTH

Best New Restaurant
BEROWRA WATERS INN

Best Regional Restaurant
ROCK (Pokolbin)

The SMH Award for Professional Excellence
ROB HIRST and the late JUDY HIRST of FINE WINE PARTNERS

Silver Service Award
LUCIO GALLETTO of LUCIO'S

Sommeliers of the Year
STUART HALLIDAY and JERRY JONES of TETSUYA'S

Wine list of the Year
ARIA

Regional Wine List of the Year
RUBICON (Canberra)

The Josephine Pignolet Best Young Chef
JAMES PARRY, OSCILLATE WILDLY

The Vittoria Legend Award
MAURICE TERZINI of ICEBERG DINING ROOM & BAR

Serial Killa
08-10-08, 11:29 PM
Best take away:

Casula Chicks and Seafood.

Try something normal you asian freaks ;) :P

NO10VE
09-10-08, 08:58 PM
Best Burgers and Cholesterol:

Big Cheifs in Rooty Hill :)

skyflyer
10-10-08, 04:19 PM
How about Viet roll... I'm a big fan of Mascot bakery roll the Hong Ha's Red Roll. Can't get enough of this thing for sure!

kula
08-12-08, 03:38 PM
revival....

ok, so i need a nice restaurant to go to with friends,
but it has to be a sunday night...

can anyone recommend anything?

ram
08-12-08, 04:03 PM
revival....

What kind of food were you thinking? Budget?

And what area

brasher
08-12-08, 04:05 PM
This is not a reccomendation to you Kula, but I've been digging "Mai Thai" at Menai.

Bullshit cheap, $9 for a main and I can't finish the bloody thing.

4 x Fat Chicken Kebabs in Satay sauce... bargain at $5

It's like been in Thailand without the ladyboys and the best part is I can walk there.

brasher
08-12-08, 04:06 PM
revival....

Bankstown has some hectic kebab joints brooooo! :lol:

eug4emi
08-12-08, 04:17 PM
revival....

What type of food you digging, budget?

dopey
08-12-08, 04:19 PM
More information Mr Pakula!

[ekkY]
08-12-08, 04:38 PM
bankstown sports club
has nice restaurants there

BU93YE
08-12-08, 04:38 PM
Satay Queen in Hornsby. Cheap as chinese at awesome price. tastes very good too.

Stivo
08-12-08, 05:09 PM
This is not a reccomendation to you Kula, but I've been digging "Mai Thai" at Menai.

Bullshit cheap, $9 for a main and I can't finish the bloody thing.

4 x Fat Chicken Kebabs in Satay sauce... bargain at $5

It's like been in Thailand without the ladyboys and the best part is I can walk there.

I've been there once and had some Pad Thai. Not bad at all.

Sweet Chilli Thai in Illawong and Doytao Thai in Padstow are definately my favourite Thai joints around. Sweet Chilli is a bit more expensive though.

The BBQ Pork at Doytao rates as one of the best thing's i have ever tasted in my life.

brasher
08-12-08, 06:00 PM
yeah I've had the illawong one a few times, it's pretty pricey.

Been such a yobbo Aussie I can't really appreciate good thai from bad thai like a legit thai so I just like thai.

Say that sentence 10 times aloud and win a prize of thai food.

DrewMan
08-12-08, 06:09 PM
revival....

big johns in Sans Souci

Serial Killa
08-12-08, 06:27 PM
Wagaya in the city

Seven Hills RSL has best Buffet EVAR
+ they have a chocolate fountain :D

jeffske
08-12-08, 08:13 PM
flying fish
http://www.flyingfish.com.au/

kula
08-12-08, 08:21 PM
flying fish might be ok, went to a wedding there and it was decent

ok, more specifics,
no budget, fine dining, specifically good deserts.

Matt Mead
08-12-08, 08:23 PM
im goin to flying fish next week for work... got to luv team christmas partys

jeffske
08-12-08, 08:36 PM
i took my g/f there for her bday and i recommend their degustation
dessert pic
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v323/86/12/514971540/n514971540_1219334_5399.jpg

petite fours
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v323/86/12/514971540/n514971540_1219312_2730.jpg

eug4emi
08-12-08, 08:49 PM
flying fish might be ok, went to a wedding there and it was decent

ok, more specifics,
no budget, fine dining, specifically good deserts.

holy shit, no budget, you the man :)

Good dessert is the tricky part, try the below:

Quay
Overseas Passenger Terminal
The Rocks, Sydney
Phone: +61 2 9251 5600
Web: www.quay.com.au

review shows what kind of dessert to expect:
http://www.jenius.com.au/2008/08/quay_restaurant.php

enjoy the view, atmosphere, food and experience :)

OVTEC
09-12-08, 12:04 AM
ok here are my suggestions

Junk - Ogalos

Malaysian - Temasek

Japanese - Sushi Bar Rashai or Sushi Bar Hiro

Vietnamese - a lot of places in Cabramatta and bankstown Vinh Phat, Dong Ba, Pho An, Pho Pasteur and a couple of places in the alley ways

Steaks - Hurricanes, Cooks Hill Hotel, Landsdowne Hotel

Rich - Tetsuya

Matt Mead
09-12-08, 01:07 PM
yeah I've had the illawong one a few times, it's pretty pricey.

Been such a yobbo Aussie I can't really appreciate good thai from bad thai like a legit thai so I just like thai.

Say that sentence 10 times aloud and win a prize of thai food.

chris go try the one at padstow.

DrewMan
09-12-08, 01:10 PM
Anybody tried Bamboodle at Parramatta?

They do a mean Pad Thai and its reasonable priced!

Buddah
09-12-08, 07:34 PM

I've heard that one in padstow is pretty good too.

kula
09-12-08, 09:46 PM
must try.

iconsider myself a bit of a thai Aficionado, so im keen to give it ago.

and i reckon well try Quay, it looks interesting.

Luke-tc16
09-12-08, 09:51 PM
Satay Queen in Hornsby. Cheap as chinese at awesome price. tastes very good too.

FUCK YEAH SATAY QQQUUUUEEEEEENNN

that place is so good. many a time wasted there in between attempting to study at the library :)

brasher
09-12-08, 10:51 PM

Yeah the one next to the Train Station Parking?

Place always smells mad when I walk past, will give it a go.

Maybe Sunday.

rodent
09-12-08, 11:47 PM
Sailor's Thai Canteen @ The Rocks and Potts Point for some ace Thai food, or if it's a real special ($$$) occasion try the 1-hat rated Sailors Thai restaurant downstairs at the Rocks.

Matt Mead
10-12-08, 02:07 PM
Yeah the one next to the Train Station Parking?

Place always smells mad when I walk past, will give it a go.

Maybe Sunday.

Yep thats the one its good... service can be abit slow sometime, but other then that its good value

Sunday could be a good idea.

brasher
10-12-08, 02:11 PM
if the shoot goes well, I'll shout...

Boiled rice and prawn crackers cool?

buzza9
10-12-08, 02:14 PM
Wagaya in the city

Seven Hills RSL has best Buffet EVAR
+ they have a chocolate fountain :D

Sevo RSL = WIN.. i love the chocolate fountain.. :mrgreen:

Matt Mead
10-12-08, 02:14 PM
bahhhh its Thai not Chinese :P

Prancer
10-12-08, 02:28 PM
oportos!

jeffske
10-12-08, 08:10 PM
get out more

eug4emi
11-12-08, 11:28 AM
^ easy...... :)

eug4emi
26-02-09, 12:57 AM
anyone tried this joint yet? a US chain opened in Crows Nest now, build your own burger

www.thecounterburger.com

NinjaDust77
02-03-09, 12:36 PM
Long grain @ Surry Hills... freshest thai flavours in town... a bit pricy but well worth the $$!!

Harrys Singapore chilli crab @ Central... best mud crabs ever!!!...

Taz_
03-03-09, 08:10 AM
Neptune Palace in Circular Quay - cnr Pitt & Alfred St.

Crispy duck pancake for starters
Kapitan Prawn or Chicken for main

Taste of Thai on Belmore Road in Randwick
Satay Chicken Swewers for starter
Great Pad Thai
Yellow curry Chicken
Can't go wrong with the dishes i've tried which is most of them.

It's a bit downmarket inside the Thai place, but the food is awesome and very cheap.

JDM-20L
03-03-09, 10:39 AM
ooh food talk... how did I miss this?

I got many.... but the first few that come to mind at present are

Ratu Sari in Kingsford (indo)
Ayam Goreng in Kingsford (indo)

Has anyone else tried Rocksia hotel?? Good bistro food there! and nice venue.. hit it up some day if your in wogdale!

Brendan
03-03-09, 10:50 AM
the Castle Hill RSL puts on a good feed :D

nzm033
03-03-09, 03:00 PM
the Castle Hill RSL puts on a good feed :D

its pretty good for rsl food....lucky for me i get it all for free

Mr Happ
03-03-09, 04:03 PM
Ratu Sari in Kingsford (indo)

went there last thurs.......wasnt sure about it though, was a little hit and miss. I am still trying to work out the best indo on Anzac Pde......went to a place (jafar?) closer to uni on sunday, it was just okish too.

JDM-20L
03-03-09, 04:27 PM
went there last thurs.......wasnt sure about it though, was a little hit and miss. I am still trying to work out the best indo on Anzac Pde......went to a place (jafar?) closer to uni on sunday, it was just okish too.

Probably depends on what you order?? only got a handful of dishes... I must say that the entree's were not the best... but by no means rubbish just not as traditional as I'd expect?? if that makes sense?? ha ha...

I think you mean Fajar's??? Yeah its not bad far from the best though...LOL

Can't beat the Ayam Bakar from Ayam goreng... f*ckin dream over that stuff.. :lol:

dopey
03-03-09, 04:30 PM
Probably depends on what you order?? only got a handful of dishes... I must say that the entree's were not the best... but by no means rubbish just not as traditional as I'd expect?? if that makes sense?? ha ha...

I think you mean Fajar's??? Yeah its not bad far from the best though...LOL

Can't beat the Ayam Bakar from Ayam goreng... f*ckin dream over that stuff.. :lol:

Ayam Goreng 99 FTMFW!! Holy shit they need to renovate though :lol:

JDM-20L
03-03-09, 04:34 PM
Ayam Goreng 99 FTMFW!! Holy shit they need to renovate though :lol:

I think they got the paintbrushes out over the christmas break and hung up a few paintings??? :lol: BUT Still seedy tables and chairs etc.. :lol:

Prancer
16-03-10, 01:46 PM
Hey guys do you think the teppanyaki in Beverly Hills is any good? Are there any alternatives?

The Panda
16-03-10, 01:51 PM
Try carlingford. There is one there just off pennant hills rd, just past carlo court. Its amazing ive been there a few times.

OVTEC
16-03-10, 02:13 PM
Hey guys do you think the teppanyaki in Beverly Hills is any good? Are there any alternatives?

shit! try Sushi Bar Hiro instead its across the road

DR-JEKL
16-03-10, 03:21 PM
Amanda's On The Edge @ Pokolbin. Fuddy duddy B&B decor fkn ace dishes

http://www.amandas.com.au/

Rock Restaurant @ Pokolbin has a a great casual lunch menu, and an even better selection for dinner

http://www.rockrestaurant.com.au/

Restaurant II is also highly recommended imo

http://www.restaurant2.com.au/

nasigoreng
16-03-10, 03:46 PM
Ayam Goreng 99 is the best ! yeah they had the paint brushes out over the Christmas break. Fajar aint to bad but for real Indo food go to Pondok Buyung in Kensington corner of Ascot St and Anzac Pde it's pretty dirty lol but the food is good.

evilmai
16-03-10, 03:57 PM
atl across the road from moore park supacentre deep fried soft bone chicken owns ayam goreng 99

somos
18-03-10, 12:41 AM
Woooo... love this thread... so many places to try.

But here's a list... you may not agree with some i know, but its just my opinion, not fact.

Best Malaysian: Mamak @ Haymarket
Best Singaporean: Temasek @ Parramatta
Best Inexpensive/modern Japanese: Sushi-Ya @ Artarmon
Best Vegetarian/Chai Tea: Badde Manors @ Glebe
Best late night tea place: Either Ten Ren's Tea House @ Chatswood or Badde Manors @ Glebe (although if cable_tie's Chelsea's Tea House is open till late everyday, i would consider that)
Best Japanese Beer Bar: Toriciya @ Cammeray
Best Czech Restaurant: Prague Czech Beer Restaurant @ Potts Point
Best German Beer Hall: Lowenbrau @ the Rocks
Best Gourmet Pub: The Taphouse @ Paddington (the beers on tap are just sensational)
Best Dirt Cheap Indonesian: Java Restaurant @ Randwick
Best Portuguese Burger: Either West Ryde Charcoal Chicken or Ole @ Kensington
Best Gourmet Burgers: Moo Gourmet Burgers at Coogee
Best Pork Ribs: Radio Cairo Cafe @ Cremourne
Best Unconventional Dessert: Radio Cairo Cafe @ Cremourne
Best Gelato: Gelato Messina @ Darlinghurst
Best French Breakfast: Grande Bouffe @ Rozelle
Best Corn Fritter: Bills @ Surry Hills
Best BBQ Pork: BBQ One @ Eastwood
Best frozen dim sum: A dim sum shop located in the arcade that connects the multi-storey carpark with the Tonyon Supermarket
Best Eggs: Bills @ Surry Hills
Best Late Night Dessert: Abla's @ Granville (closes 1am everyday)
Best Chinese: Iron Chef Chinese Seafood Restaurant
Best High Tech Restaurant: Wagaya @ Haymarket
Best Ramen: Gumshara Ramen @ Eating World in Chinatown on Dixon St (Thanks to Grab Your Fork for that one... would have been hard to find otherwise)
Best Marshmallows: Sweetness the Patisserie @ Epping
Best Take Away Chinese: Kenny's Gourmet Kitchen @ Epping
Best Durian Puff: Singapore Kitchen @ West Ryde
Best Weird Arse Patisserie Creations: Adriano Zumbo @ Balmain
Best Handmade Chocolates: Otello @ West Pymble
Best Handmade Unconventional Chocolate: Nina's Chocolates @ Gymea
Best Pies: Sylvia & Frans Upper Crust @ Collaroy
Best Deli: Morgans @ Mona Vale (admittedly i haven't tried that many delis)
Best Sausages: Tender Value Meats @ Hornsby
Best Value for Money/Cheap Thai: Suan I-San Thai @ Newtown
Best Coffee: Torn between Pablo and Rusty's @ Gordon or Campos @ Newtown
Best Chips: Flying Fish @ Pyrmont admittedly also the most expensive
Best Modern Vietnamese: Phamish @ Darlinghurst
Good Steakhouse: Mumu's @ Crows Nest (haven't tried many...)

As you can tell i really really like my food... also gives me a good reason to drive... :D

Sure there is more, but can't remember now...

18-03-10, 01:04 AM
^^ holy shit... 'really really like my food' is an understatement!!!

somos
18-03-10, 01:46 AM
^^ holy shit... 'really really like my food' is an understatement!!!

:oops: * embarrassed*

18-03-10, 01:51 AM
:oops: * embarrassed*

don't be.... some people like video games, some like cocaine, and some like quality food.
s'all good

TONTON
18-03-10, 02:06 PM
Ive realised ramen-kan has gotten pretty bad over the years...

the one in Chinatown and Bondi

used to be my favourite jap joint but not anymore

Prancer
18-03-10, 02:42 PM
Has anybody been to the teppanyaki in newtown?

rokutofu
18-03-10, 04:52 PM
Menya ftw.

Andy Wana
18-03-10, 05:56 PM
Best Katsu Curry - Ototo @ Oxford St in Bondi Junction (make sure it's on brown rice)

chindodood
18-03-10, 06:04 PM
japanese : takeru and kobe jones and rhodes sushi train
chinese : golden century and bar luck
steak : rockpool and prime
ribs : hurricane
korean : seoul ria
indonesian : ayam goreng 99
thai : talee thai and thai pothong
malaysian : mamak
italian : crinitis
pho: pho anh
lebanese : habibs charcoal chicken

s02k
18-03-10, 06:30 PM
Sushi Ya - Artarmon is pretty good jap

some place ins St. Mary on main street.. cant rememeber what its called but there top thai food for great value dollars...

Mr Happ
18-03-10, 06:46 PM
Solid work Somos!

I concur with a number of your selections....i'll check out some of the others :)
Im keen to get out and rack up the kilometres and kilos this year.

somos
18-03-10, 06:55 PM
Solid work Somos!

I concur with a number of your selections....i'll check out some of the others :)
Im keen to get out and rack up the kilometres and kilos this year.

It ain't work if its tasty. :)

And LOL... way ahead of you with the kilos...

somos
19-03-10, 01:02 PM
Woooo... love this thread... so many places to try.

But here's a list... you may not agree with some i know, but its just my opinion, not fact.

Best Malaysian: Mamak @ Haymarket
Best Singaporean: Temasek @ Parramatta
Best Inexpensive/modern Japanese: Sushi-Ya @ Artarmon
Best Vegetarian/Chai Tea: Badde Manors @ Glebe
Best late night tea place: Either Ten Ren's Tea House @ Chatswood or Badde Manors @ Glebe (although if cable_tie's Chelsea's Tea House is open till late everyday, i would consider that)
Best Japanese Beer Bar: Toriciya @ Cammeray
Best Czech Restaurant: Prague Czech Beer Restaurant @ Potts Point
Best German Beer Hall: Lowenbrau @ the Rocks
Best Gourmet Pub: The Taphouse @ Paddington (the beers on tap are just sensational)
Best Dirt Cheap Indonesian: Java Restaurant @ Randwick
Best Portuguese Burger: Either West Ryde Charcoal Chicken or Ole @ Kensington
Best Gourmet Burgers: Moo Gourmet Burgers at Coogee
Best Pork Ribs: Radio Cairo Cafe @ Cremourne
Best Unconventional Dessert: Radio Cairo Cafe @ Cremourne
Best Gelato: Gelato Messina @ Darlinghurst
Best French Breakfast: Grande Bouffe @ Rozelle
Best Corn Fritter: Bills @ Surry Hills
Best BBQ Pork: BBQ One @ Eastwood
Best frozen dim sum: A dim sum shop located in the arcade that connects the multi-storey carpark with the Tonyon Supermarket
Best Eggs: Bills @ Surry Hills
Best Late Night Dessert: Abla's @ Granville (closes 1am everyday)
Best Chinese: Iron Chef Chinese Seafood Restaurant
Best High Tech Restaurant: Wagaya @ Haymarket
Best Ramen: Gumshara Ramen @ Eating World in Chinatown on Dixon St (Thanks to Grab Your Fork for that one... would have been hard to find otherwise)
Best Marshmallows: Sweetness the Patisserie @ Epping
Best Take Away Chinese: Kenny's Gourmet Kitchen @ Epping
Best Durian Puff: Singapore Kitchen @ West Ryde
Best Weird Arse Patisserie Creations: Adriano Zumbo @ Balmain
Best Handmade Chocolates: Otello @ West Pymble
Best Handmade Unconventional Chocolate: Nina's Chocolates @ Gymea
Best Pies: Sylvia & Frans Upper Crust @ Collaroy
Best Deli: Morgans @ Mona Vale (admittedly i haven't tried that many delis)
Best Sausages: Tender Value Meats @ Hornsby
Best Value for Money/Cheap Thai: Suan I-San Thai @ Newtown
Best Coffee: Torn between Pablo and Rusty's @ Gordon or Campos @ Newtown
Best Chips: Flying Fish @ Pyrmont admittedly also the most expensive
Best Modern Vietnamese: Phamish @ Darlinghurst
Good Steakhouse: Mumu's @ Crows Nest (haven't tried many...)

As you can tell i really really like my food... also gives me a good reason to drive... :D

Sure there is more, but can't remember now...

Continuing on...

Best Peruvian Potatoes: La Cocina Peruana @ Randwick
Best Inexpensive Modern Asian: Drunken Geisha @ Pyrmont
Best Sri Lankan: Janani's @ Homebush South
Best Pho: Quite hard to decide, but best area is definitely Cabramatta
Best Indian: Billlu's @ Harris Park
Best Modern Chinese: Billy Kwong @ Surry Hills
Best French Patisserie: La Renaissance Patisserie @ The Rocks
Best Restaurant with Atmosphere: Cafe Sydney @ Circular Quay
Best Thai (with romantic stroll afterwards): Stir Crazy Thai @ Milsons Point
Best Cheap Mexican: Mad Mex (located at Mac Centre, Castle Hill, Circular Quay....)
Good Mauritian: Bukhara @ Double Bay (haven't tried many)
Best HUGE Schnitizel burgers: Burger Me @ Manly (although Wisemans Ferry still has the biggest burger, details found here (http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?t=19878))
Best Late Night Sweet Cravings: Baroque Bistro Patisserie @ The Rocks
Best Chocolate Cravings Cure: Max Brenner @ St Ives (or any of their branches really)
Best Gourmet Pizza Chain: Crust
Best Ginormous Pizza: Johnny's Pizza & Pasta @ West Pennant Hills (40" anyone?)
Best Yum Cha: Zilver @ Haymarket
Best Dumplings: Din Tai Fung @ World Square
Best Laksa: Jimmy's Recipe Malaysia @ The Galeries Victoria (come here after buying your HyperRev)
Good Paella: Captain Torres opp 3 wise monkeys

I think that's all i can think of... Hope you guys find it useful.

TONTON
24-03-10, 06:42 PM
anyone know good korean bbq around parramatta/ strathfield?

cheers

hazjaz
24-03-10, 07:16 PM
a new place opened up in gordon, where the old GPO used to be on pacific highway... they do awesome pizzas/other types of food.. i would recommend

GPO cafe im pretty sure its called

hawkeye
25-03-10, 12:25 PM
Thought I might add some of my own fav spots to grab a bite:
best Italian: Penshurst cottage (Penshurst)
best Thai: budda beach (cronulla)
best steak: meat and wine co. Darling harbour
best ribs: Tony Romas, king street city
best German food: Rhinedorf (Beverly hills)
best sea food: lugarno seafood restaurant
best fish and chips: Oatley village seafood
best coffee/ cafe food: dolce ( Oatley)

hmm that's all for now I think

haikii
25-03-10, 12:35 PM

cheers

In parra, definately charcoal mine in north parramatta, Carne station isn't as nice using gas stoves and just the general feel of the store.

http://www.bbq.com.au/ theyre OKAY, i wouldn't say awesome but i do come back time and time again. Only because its local.

TONTON
25-03-10, 02:22 PM
In parra, definately charcoal mine in north parramatta, Carne station isn't as nice using gas stoves and just the general feel of the store.

http://www.bbq.com.au/ theyre OKAY, i wouldn't say awesome but i do come back time and time again. Only because its local.

cheers mate, yeah i was at carne station last year for friends bday

they ran outta food pretty quick..

charcoal mine sounds good read afew reviews

RB_LOVE
25-03-10, 05:46 PM
best chicken burgers in the world. at Istanbul on King, on king st newtown

FLewis
25-03-10, 07:10 PM
Braza, Newport. Brazillian meat stick haven mcexcellence.

Serial Killa
25-03-10, 07:32 PM
best chicken burgers in the world. at Istanbul on King, on king st newtown

Their kebabs are awesome too :)

somos
20-04-10, 02:48 PM
Best under $4 meal: Mandarin Centre Food Court

arron
21-04-10, 12:40 PM

cheers

Go to Bassim in Strathfield. I still rate that place highly amongst the numerous BBQ places. I'm Korean yet I still love that place. It's on the corner of Raw Square and Churchill ave.

TONTON
27-04-10, 02:03 AM
you guys know of any places which have different dining experiences?
and different food places apart from korean/jap/thai/viet/chinese

cheers

Serial Killa
27-04-10, 09:08 AM
you guys know of any places which have different dining experiences?
and different food places apart from korean/jap/thai/viet/chinese

cheers

Try Harris Park, lots of Indian places and combination places (chinese/Indian in one)

TONTON
27-04-10, 12:42 PM
^Cheers, I havent been to the indian (house one) in ages, will hit it up soon,

anywhere else?

=]

sileighty
27-04-10, 12:49 PM
In Harris Park I only reccomend the one place "Copper Chimney"

Benson food review from last night awaits..

Zilli
27-04-10, 12:51 PM
anyone tried this joint yet? a US chain opened in Crows Nest now, build your own burger

www.thecounterburger.com

i have tried it a couple of time, and the food is quite good... but im not the type to eat a burger with a knife and fork which shits me... theyre too big to eat by hand

tiksie
27-04-10, 02:24 PM
In Harris Park I only reccomend the one place "Copper Chimney"

From eatability:

Walked out of here very confused because this is a restaurant of contradictions. Service is excellent but ambience is terrible, the flat screen TV on the wall blaring out endless Indian music and dance. Food was tasty but ultra oily and did I mention, not a beef dish in sight.

The complimentary papadams were a nice touch, but the oil dripped off them while we ate. And initially we weren't given plates so the riata dripped on the table. The entree of tandoori paneer shahsiq and chicken tikka were very tasty in contrast to the mains of rogan josh and the lamb saag which were accentuated by their oiliness. With rice, naans and a jug of flat coke, that lot came to $88.00 which I thought was a bit over the top.

I left with overwhelming urge to rush home for the antacids, so I don't think I'll be back in a hurry.

sileighty
28-04-10, 04:06 PM
From eatability:

Walked out of here very confused because this is a restaurant of contradictions. Service is excellent but ambience is terrible, the flat screen TV on the wall blaring out endless Indian music and dance. Food was tasty but ultra oily and did I mention, not a beef dish in sight.

The complimentary papadams were a nice touch, but the oil dripped off them while we ate. And initially we weren't given plates so the riata dripped on the table. The entree of tandoori paneer shahsiq and chicken tikka were very tasty in contrast to the mains of rogan josh and the lamb saag which were accentuated by their oiliness. With rice, naans and a jug of flat coke, that lot came to $88.00 which I thought was a bit over the top.

I left with overwhelming urge to rush home for the antacids, so I don't think I'll be back in a hurry.

well you can pick any comment I guess to show a point of view...not everyone is going have a good experience at each restaurant..personally I wouldnt even go to harris park for indian food, but out of all the places there thats the only one I would visit. Not to mention that each person has a different stomach for curries...so yeah not trying to say your comment reference isnt valid, just giving my opinion. I'm sure there are plenty of decent places that have crappy eatability reviews - some people can just never be pleased....

somos
10-05-10, 01:52 PM

It was ok. But best BBQ pork is still from BBQOne in Eastwood. Its got that smokey flavour down pat.

Incidentally i had Chadni Choek in Harris Park for the dish where you scoop stuff into a small pastry shell? Tasty as.

TONTON
10-05-10, 02:13 PM
It was ok. But best BBQ pork is still from BBQOne in Eastwood. Its got that smokey flavour down pat.

Incidentally i had Chadni Choek in Harris Park for the dish where you scoop stuff into a small pastry shell? Tasty as.

where'd you eat that?

Chadni Choek

cheers

somos
10-05-10, 03:06 PM
where'd you eat that?

Chadni Choek

cheers

Oh wait... what i meant to say was i ate AT Chadni Choek in Harris Park. And had a dish where you scoop stuff into a small pastry shell? I think it serves other food from the famous street market in Dehli. My bad.

JDM-20L
04-06-10, 06:12 PM
Bit of a bump..

Has anyone been to Wildfire lately? It's been good in the past however I have not been lately... is it still good or has it gone downhill? I'm not reading the best reviews lately? (on eatability)

Has anyone got any suggestions on what is currently very good in terms of fine dining venues in Sydney?

I want to be WOW'd so to speak. :)

Paoooul
04-06-10, 06:16 PM
I went to wildfire a couple of months back. Was pretty damn good. I don't eat out anywhere special that often though so can't really compare to anything else. Good steak.

0.o
06-06-10, 03:42 PM
west ryde Tatsuya

cheap and fresh sushi although a bit cramped if u have more than 4 ppl

WhiteMinx
09-06-10, 10:19 PM
My two favourite places are;

Boonchu Thai - Broadbeach/Gold Coast

&

Little Hong Kong - Market Square/Sunnybank

nom nom :)

munchhunch
09-06-10, 10:42 PM
Had some Pho with a mate at Lemon Grove Chatwood, they only open for lunch, can anyone recommend anything better?

ggutnik
09-06-10, 10:53 PM
that's the best viet in chatswood at least, the one across the road next to ogalo's is soooo bad, superseeded only by golden bow on victoria rd, which is dreadful!!

my lady lives up the road, so ive sampled the local stuff .. lemon grove > all

too hard to get a seat at lunchtime though!

TONTON
09-06-10, 10:59 PM
chatswhat?

somos
10-06-10, 01:29 PM
Had some Pho with a mate at Lemon Grove Chatwood, they only open for lunch, can anyone recommend anything better?

Cabramatta and Flemington have some really good pho. But if you were in Lemon Grove go to the dumpling shop for some excellent hand made dumplings.

bushtucker
10-06-10, 02:02 PM
best kebab is Sam's? cant remember the name but its in Tempe just down from Tempe tyres. Knew the owner as well and sucks that he sold.. was bought by harrys on wheels.

best pizza/pasta is franks pizza on parramatta road...heard he got a bigger joint now too

aidannn
10-06-10, 04:32 PM

go down vic ave. past chase. the first block of shops near the rta. a small viet restaurant.

the pho there shits on lemon grove.

Szemen
11-06-10, 08:22 PM
best kebab is Sam's? cant remember the name but its in Tempe just down from Tempe tyres. Knew the owner as well and sucks that he sold.. was bought by harrys on wheels.

Deno :( Never had to pleasure of trying out those kebabs.

Modified
11-06-10, 08:25 PM
Joes Pizzeria Arax in Lindfield, right next to Lindfield Station on the highway.

Everything is made by Joe and his wife, and its decently priced. Can haev a decent meal for $20.

The humus is amazing. So is the baklava.

pbk1776
11-06-10, 08:36 PM
hurricane at bondi

ae86slaver
27-07-10, 07:00 PM
bump!

ok Jdmst faithful, I need some help!

Got my fiance's 28th birthday next Friday and I'm trying to organise both sides of the family + a few friends (approx. 20 ppl all up) for a dinner that night.

- Around North Shore/Ryde/Inner West area
- Must be restaurant type vibe with atmosphere (no small cafe/pala type places)
- We all have flexible taste buds

Any recommendations?

JDM-20L
28-07-10, 10:41 AM
bump!

Got my fiance's 28th birthday next Friday and I'm trying to organise both sides of the family + a few friends (approx. 20 ppl all up) for a dinner that night.

Any recommendations?

Hit the Brazillian BBQ up for that.. it's good for big groups & not too expensive! :)

http://www.churrasco.com.au/

I like the William St one better.

ae86slaver
28-07-10, 02:37 PM
^looks good, walked past it once and it looked enticing...though might be abit far for some, esp. on the Friday night :(

somos
28-07-10, 03:38 PM
bump!

Any recommendations?

Thinking of 2 places.

1. Billu's @ Epping (Proper south indian food, paneer palak)
2. Sambal @ North Ryde (excellent chilli crab)

EDIT:
Pino's Pizzeria @ Crows Nest
Waqu @ Crows Nest
Mumu Grill @ Crows Nest

siddr20
28-07-10, 04:09 PM
Best kebabs i have ever had was in venice. Will never forget that experience!!

Anyways.. was at jordans seafood the other night and ordered the deluxe platter :) Fresh seafood and taste!! loved it :)

Prancer
28-07-10, 05:22 PM
there is a great sushi place in bexley, kens sushi dining or something like that

ae86slaver
28-07-10, 05:49 PM
Thinking of 2 places.

1. Billu's @ Epping (Proper south indian food, paneer palak)
2. Sambal @ North Ryde (excellent chilli crab)

EDIT:
Pino's Pizzeria @ Crows Nest
Waqu @ Crows Nest
Mumu Grill @ Crows Nest

hmm, thanks for the great suggestions, though she took me to Sambal for my bday last year, lol. Billu's might be abit chilli for some, the crows nest places might be abit over budget but I've kept Mumu in mind! :lol:

Anything new in Chatswood these days? haven't stepped in that hood recently

rah168
28-07-10, 09:44 PM
Sushi Train: Takumi (top level of market city)
Japanese: Sake (the rocks) , my gawd it's good
Steak: Hurricane @ Darling harbour
Coffee: Workshop on george st , opposite the QVB or Vella Nero on clarence st
Crab: cafe sydney
Japanese bbq: Koh-Ya in neutral bay
Malaysian: Mamak on goulburn st
Late night: wagaya or mizuya , cheap , interactive & tasty:)
Pho: lemon grove viet? , forgot the name, but its good! + crispy skin chicken ftw

I'm so hungry now:oops:

splashman
29-07-10, 12:10 AM
ummmmm west ryde pub?

Buddy
29-07-10, 12:13 AM
ummmmm west ryde pub?

Yes!!! BLT or schnitzel .... Tuff call

JDM-20L
10-08-10, 05:32 PM
Anyone got any recommendations for Pho in the city?

Need to find me a hot spot in the city! :)

cheers.

Andy Wana
10-08-10, 05:36 PM
Anyone got any recommendations for Pho in the city?

Need to find me a hot spot in the city! :)

cheers.

Pho Pasteur?

JDM-20L
10-08-10, 06:16 PM
Pho Pasteur?

On George St is it?

thanks man!

Funny enough I haven't ever hit it up in the city... just cabra, bankstown etc!

mxfly
10-08-10, 07:47 PM
Besides the great pho's from cabra, canley vale, bankstown, I think one of the most tastiest I've ever imagined having is called Pho Bac Hai Duong in Marrickville. We quite often travel across town just to experience some memorable pho, and this place certainly does not disappoint.

ATMOSR
11-08-10, 08:04 PM
Kravings @ Kurmond. Out past Kurrajong Heights. Awesome food!

wilsmith
11-08-10, 09:25 PM
Charcoal Chicken shop at the Wattlegrove shops
1. Porto Burger
2. Chicken Tendersss

mmmmmm

box_of
11-08-10, 11:35 PM
hmm, thanks for the great suggestions, though she took me to Sambal for my bday last year, lol. Billu's might be abit chilli for some, the crows nest places might be abit over budget but I've kept Mumu in mind! :lol:

Anything new in Chatswood these days? haven't stepped in that hood recently

Last i heard the harris park billus got flagged for poor hygiene

MuMu is ok but a little overpriced in my opinion.
For good indian, however, i am a regular at Malabar in Crows nest (try the spinach chaat and dosais) and Qmin (nizami rolls OMNOMNOM) neither are too expensive

unfortunately indian in epping has not been the same since indian star closed down :(

brasher
12-08-10, 08:18 AM
Went to a pub on Saturday on the corner of George and Liverpool St in the CBD.

Not sure of the name but it had a Spanish Tapas restaurant inside the pub with communal seating sort of thing.

Best Steak and Potatoes I've ever had! Was $24 so not the cheapest but you get a 500g t-bone cooked perfect with nice sauce and these potatoes I would get stabby for!

It was done Spanish style so you know it's good.

Cant remember the name of the pub though, the beer was shithouse however, flat and had a chemical taste. wtf.

Mr Happ
12-08-10, 08:42 AM
Ok, i've only found 2 really good indian places

Malabar - Darlo
Moksha- Jannali......yes, Jannali!

for French cant go wrong with La Brasserie on Crown Street....great decor and atmosphere too.

brasher
12-08-10, 08:49 AM
ahh I know Moksha well, one of the few places were "HOT" on the menu means shooting fire out your ass for days to come!

Don't ask me how I know :(

Good place though. Who would have thought Indians in the Shire.

Mr Happ
12-08-10, 08:53 AM
yeah, it beats the pants of all of the indian places in surry hills, well the ones on clevo at least. i know, we've tried most of them!

for man food, Chop House in Bligh street is a winner......bring your company CC though.

Im checking out "souk in the city" in Surry hills on sat for wifes bday......havent had morrocan before (i dont think sprinkling Masterfoods Morrocan seasoning on a chook and throwing it on the weber counts)

ae86slaver
12-08-10, 11:00 AM
bump!

Any recommendations?

Ok following this, I eventually organised a Teppenyaki outing at Shinjus in North Sydney after doing a search on this forum - a few jdmsters recommended it so I made a booking for 15!

- (The good) Good place, great vibe and lots of fun. Everyone had a big laugh and sh*t got messy which was different!

- (now the bad) Waaaay too short. Seemed like we were not even halfway through our meal but the chefs already did their infamous sugar 'thank you' and I was thinking to myself (is that it?!)
- After we finished up our last dish, the manager came up and hushed to me that if we could make our way to the bar when we finished, we were all just enjoying ourselves and chatting but he kept asking me which I found irritating - it was hitting 9:30pm, surely no one else was taking that table.
- Owned and run by Chinese?! I walked in and heard the guy at the desk speaking canto to a waiter (I was like wtf!) I gave him the bill with our cash and he didn't even say thank you, just started counting lol....ooh well, I'm chinese so I know how they are! :lol:

somos
12-08-10, 12:03 PM
Ok, i've only found 2 really good indian places

Malabar - Darlo
Moksha- Jannali......yes, Jannali!

for French cant go wrong with La Brasserie on Crown Street....great decor and atmosphere too.

Have you been to Aki's Indian in wooloomooloo? Hoping you have so that you can do comparo.

Mr Happ
12-08-10, 12:43 PM
No Benson i havent mate. Do you give it the thumbs up? i know you are a mad foodie, so if you endorse it i will check it out.

ido09s
12-08-10, 01:18 PM
For hamburgers you just cant go past Pauls at Sylvania. Nicest old school burgers and the tastiest chips i have had in years!!!!

We tried the Thai resturant in the Piazza of Castle Towers last wekend and it was really nice. I havent had Thai before but damn am i hooked!! Pretty sure the place is called Red Spoon

Mr Happ
12-08-10, 01:26 PM
I love everything about Pauls, the efficiency, the presentation of the burgers, the buns, the chips, the old school milkshakes.....but the patties are a bloody disgrace. 80% filler, just straight up rubbish. If they start putting some Beef in i'll be back :)

somos
12-08-10, 01:37 PM
No Benson i havent mate. Do you give it the thumbs up? i know you are a mad foodie, so if you endorse it i will check it out.

2 thumbs up! Was featured in Masterchef, so couple mates and i went to check it out. And i can now see why it was featured in Masterchef. Bit pricey though. But was told by my mates (who are from India) that it is just like their mother cooks on her best day.

And agree with Rob on Paul's in Sylvania. Used to be really good... now not so much.

If you want to have some un-traditional burgers try one of these: BurgerMe in Manly (for the schnitzel burger) and BenBry in Manly for lamb burgers. Grill'd in Crows Nest, Plan B (nr Becasse) for Wagyu burger. But most of all... you have to try Moo Gourmet Burger in Coogee for the duck confit burger. Excellent.

ae86slaver
12-08-10, 02:06 PM
I havent had Thai before but damn am i hooked!! Pretty sure the place is called Red Spoon

SAY WHAT http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

There's a Red Spoon at Gladesville which is awesome, now there's a Chilli Jam directly across the road lol.....

F*ck me, I've had 5 birthday dinners in 7 days (for reals) and have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the overall diversity of what Sydney has to offer.

Last night I went to Chinta Ria's at Cockle Bay - infusion of Malay/Chinese food for my gf's sisters bday dinner..

On first inspection of menu pricing, it looked surprisingly cheap for a place that looked totally awesome with a nice setting and fit-out, pumping vibe and location.

Then the food came.

It seriously came out no more than 4mins after the waiter took our orders (my suspicions were raised at this point with the quality of food if it comes out THAT quick)

Not only that, the dude got my order wrong (beef RIA instead of RANDANG) and 2 other peoples wrong (no chilli).

I wasn't impressed at all for my $23 randang which looked like it was scooped out of a large pot and put into a glorified plate. Tasted acceptable but I could seriously buy it for $8.50 at the food court.

Anyways, the place is i spose good for where it is (relatively cheap) and food comes out quick, but I wouldn't be taking your first date there :lol:

somos
12-08-10, 02:11 PM
SAY WHAT http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

There's a Red Spoon at Gladesville which is awesome, now there's a Chilli Jam directly across the road lol.....

F*ck me, I've had 5 birthday dinners in 7 days (for reals) and have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the overall diversity of what Sydney has to offer.

Last night I went to Chinta Ria's at Cockle Bay - infusion of Malay/Chinese food for my gf's sisters bday dinner..

On first inspection of menu pricing, it looked surprisingly cheap for a place that looked totally awesome with a nice setting and fit-out, pumping vibe and location.

Then the food came.

It seriously came out no more than 4mins after the waiter took our orders (my suspicions were raised at this point with the quality of food if it comes out THAT quick)

Not only that, the dude got my order wrong (beef RIA instead of RANDANG) and 2 other peoples wrong (no chilli).

I wasn't impressed at all for my $23 randang which looked like it was scooped out of a large pot and put into a glorified plate. Tasted acceptable but I could seriously buy it for $8.50 at the food court.

Anyways, the place is i spose good for where it is (relatively cheap) and food comes out quick, but I wouldn't be taking your first date there :lol:

Yea agreed... i really hate the food at Chinta Ria... Although the decor is quite nice and gives it character.

Actually knew someone who took first date there. They aren't together anymore...

DAS KAMU
12-08-10, 02:47 PM
Davids steak house in little teipai!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 bucks = big steak + spaghetti + choice of salad /soup/toast as a side

GOOK-O-MATIK
12-08-10, 03:53 PM
anyone know anything ocean room?