PDA

View Full Version : More Hardrive HELP!

Sp33dY
06-01-07, 10:57 PM
Iformatted a pc today that had winxp pro sp1 installed .... but reinstalled it with winxp home sp2. The main harddrive is partitioned into 2 drives, C: & E:.
D: was a slave 200gb drive -- it WONT detect anymore. Windows sees it when u goto MANAGE hard drives, but if i were to add it, it's asking me to format it!! ...... $%R#@$%

Anyone know a way around it? I cant understand why it wont le me see it with ease! is there some kinda patch i need? As far as im aware, all drives are NTSF, not FAT32.

Mike.V?!
07-01-07, 02:26 AM
First thing to try, boot into recovery mode via your Windows install CD and just verify that your data on D: is still intact. If you can't view the contents via a command prompt then you have problems.

MrThanh
07-01-07, 03:01 AM
you're probably (99%) having this problem because your 200GB HDD is a "Dynamic Disk" drive. This isn't supported by XP Home. You will need to put that hdd into an XP Pro/Win2000 machine.. backup to another drive, convert that drive to a "Basic Disk" drive, and copy the data back over if you wish to keep XP Home.

Mike.V?!
07-01-07, 03:54 AM
Well caught, Thanh. FYI a dynamic drive can be converted to a basic drive without data loss, but AFAIK can only be done with a Windows 2k installation.

Yet another example of why XP home sucks.

MrThanh
07-01-07, 10:36 AM
or you can try this..

http://faq.arstechnica.com/link.php?i=1806

do it at your own peril, or google for more info. it was the first link that popped up when i googled it.

Sp33dY
07-01-07, 11:19 AM
Yeah ... figured it was cos of dynamic drive rubbish, but was hoping that there might of been a patch of some kind available (which i had no luck finding) . :(

I think i'll be better off just installing winxp pro sp2 then ...... just have to find it somewhere !

Thanks guys ;)

Harves
07-01-07, 07:56 PM
or you can try this..

http://faq.arstechnica.com/link.php?i=1806

do it at your own peril, or google for more info. it was the first link that popped up when i googled it.

Tryed this on a server once...didn't work out to well

Sp33dY
08-01-07, 08:49 PM
Well im stumped ............ ive installed Winxp Pro SP1 again out of interest (SAME VERSION + SERIAL# used on the pc just over 2 years ago) ..... and the f$#*ing hard drive still wont detect!!! Again, it's asking me to format to convert to a basic drive. I highly doubt upgrading to WINXP Service Pack 2 will help ... it was never running sp2 previously *sigh* .... i think im about to loose 200gb of 'music backups' and 'top gear backups' :( *curses* to my storage pc for being faultless for years, then carking it overnight -- literally . :(

import_bible
13-01-07, 04:08 AM
are you using a sata type hard drive? when installing windows you will need to insert another disk that has drivers for sata controllers (they handle hard disk devices) only after installing those can you gain access to them. can you see the hard disk when you turn on your computer?

Sp33dY
15-01-07, 10:57 AM
Well it wasnt runing as a sata... just IDE ..... still wouldnt detect on my xp pro sp1 box .... but it did detect ok on my gf's win xp pro sp2 box .... so im currently doing the tedious task of burning., and will then reformat the disc as basic and NOT dynamic.

Thanks peoples!

Trolls Royce
16-01-07, 06:10 AM
microwave it.

Sp33dY
16-01-07, 09:05 AM
microwave it.

HEEHE,.... MICROWAving old 400mb HD's is always a good party trick .... i still ahve about 10 of these somewhere in a box. Anyone seen plasma balls in your own kitchen before?? fun times!!