PDA

View Full Version : Dave R's MX5 SE

Dave R
16-10-08, 01:51 PM
Ok guys, as we know my previous car is a Integra Type R, admittedly one of the best handling, if not the best FWD's!

I have decided to move on to something newer and more fun = RWD, Turbo.. and i can only think of mx5 when it comes to a great car to drive!

Car is fairly stock atm, but i do plan on modding it. will try and do as much track days and such as possible.. i hope to be getting well bellow 1:10s @ Wakefield Park when i have it set-up nicely!

Modifications:

Lighting:
# 5000k HIDS

Exterior:
# MazdaSpeed Side Skirts
# Street Rims - Sportmax 501 15X8's +15
# Track Rims - Enkei RPF1 17x7 +42 (Toyo R888 - 215/45R17)

Interior:
# MazdaSpeed Pedals
# Brown Davis Roll Bar

Engine:
# Aftermarket (Larger Intercooler)
# Cushioned Button Clutch
# 2.5" full Exhaust
# High Flow Cat
# AEM Intake
# Adaptronic ECU

Some Pictures:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/DCR_88/CIMG0930.jpg
New vs Old - RWD vs FWD - F/I - N/A... (BHP - BIG HORSE POWER ? LOL)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/DCR_88/CIMG0935.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/DCR_88/IMG_1777-1.jpg

Cheers Dave

Dave R
16-10-08, 01:53 PM
I have Already just ordered- Turbo back exhaust, CAI, Throttle body piping, injectors and ecu! Couldnt help myself :(

Next has to be a Hardtop and then Some Coilovers, would like to go a tad lower at the front and drop the rear (rear is much to high!)

Cheers Dave

Drift Junkie
16-10-08, 02:01 PM
Great Looking car man Love the wheels Shes a real looker Post up new pics with mods :)

DrewMan
16-10-08, 02:02 PM
get some aftermarket springs just for the rear and drop then 2 inches or so to match the front.

once you get turbofied, itll bounce around from all the torque that is delivered

and welcome to the Mazda club woohoo!

gimic
16-10-08, 02:07 PM
Nice car.

Not sure about your choice of wheels though. They really date the car.

rodent
16-10-08, 02:08 PM
I hate to say it but I think it looks better with the OEM Racing Harts :???:

Andy Wana
16-10-08, 02:11 PM
How does it compare to the DC2R?

Rad
16-10-08, 02:11 PM
What's SE? Special Edition?

Nemo1412
16-10-08, 02:13 PM
Wow, didn't realize but I spotted your car yesterday or the day before, around the Macquarie area I think? I was in a gunmetal AW11. Love the offset/stance but like others I don't think the Sportmax's suit the car too well.

trism
16-10-08, 02:14 PM
what happend to not getting the hairdressers car? lol

kev.inc
16-10-08, 02:15 PM
To me the 15's look too small. But it may look good once lowered.

Good choice on rwd + turbo.

philz
16-10-08, 02:20 PM
wow +15 looks perfect on the NB.

Great choice of car, love it.

Dave R
16-10-08, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys, Rims where not really for the SE it was for my dads old NA6, but i had these sitting around and the stock 17s where gutter really badly and 1 was bent :( - will be buying some other 15s for track rims soon anyways... (also found some carbon fibre flared guards from the us :D)

As to Comparison to the DC2R, the mx5 is alot more capable and more fun to drive, they are similar in a way as in they are both great drivers car, but i just love the mx5, it is alot of fun, just gives u a smile every time you drive it :)

Thanks once again guys :) - as for height, i will see if i can get some bilstein springs to go replace the stock mazdaspeed springs (it has bilstein shocks standard)... the stock suspension set-up is great, sits very flat through corners but is not a uncomfortable ride!

As for rims to small i think 15s are the perfect size, especially for a car that is going to see the track alot, tyres are alot cheaper and i feel the car rides better then bigger rims...

Nemo1412 - could have been me man, i honestly cant remember :( i have been doing alot of driving in it lately :P

danielb
16-10-08, 02:41 PM
Just in case anyone doesnt realise the SE is a factory-turbo MX5

Nice work man, give me one of your money trees :lol:

Zilli
16-10-08, 02:45 PM
good choice mate... my sister has one, non turbo, but yeh very nice car to drive...

shame i feel like a huntsman in a matchbox in it, too tall to drive it comfortably... i feel the first biggest improvement to be made would be spirngs and shocks... too too sft out of the factory in my opinion

Wink
16-10-08, 03:02 PM
Always loved the blacked out headlights of the later NBs.
Did they only come on the SE?

philz
16-10-08, 03:05 PM
Correct, only in Mazdaspeed/SE's

Mr Happ
16-10-08, 03:10 PM
looks good.........go the 15's.

Dave R
16-10-08, 03:55 PM
Just in case anyone doesnt realise the SE is a factory-turbo MX5

Nice work man, give me one of your money trees :lol:

Hahaha, thanks! if i had a money tree i would have bought a porsche! lol
Just been working for a long time and loaning some money of family until i sell my integra! haha

good choice mate... my sister has one, non turbo, but yeh very nice car to drive...

shame i feel like a huntsman in a matchbox in it, too tall to drive it comfortably... i feel the first biggest improvement to be made would be spirngs and shocks... too too sft out of the factory in my opinion

I know how u feel about the tight fit! i am 5'9 and gets bit squichy, but ill just have to get a sparco with low rails and it will be sweet! As for suspension the SE came with Bilstein shocks and mazdaspeed springs and it is a really good combo! car is stiff and sits through corners very flat, yet the ride is not stupidly hard... but bilstein adjustables are on the list!

looks good.........go the 15's.

Cheers man! i love 15s, i am sure you would appreciate them as what i pay for a set you pay for 1 tyre :(

Cheers Dave

Stivo
16-10-08, 04:17 PM
Very nice SE mate. You made a great choice.

Perfect offset, excellent colour, beautiful car.

Run-It-Hard
16-10-08, 04:29 PM
Thanks guys, Rims where not really for the SE it was for my dads old NA6, but i had these sitting around and the stock 17s where gutter really badly and 1 was bent :( - will be buying some other 15s for track rims soon anyways... (also found some carbon fibre flared guards from the us :D)

As to Comparison to the DC2R, the mx5 is alot more capable and more fun to drive, they are similar in a way as in they are both great drivers car, but i just love the mx5, it is alot of fun, just gives u a smile every time you drive it :)

Thanks once again guys :) - as for height, i will see if i can get some bilstein springs to go replace the stock mazdaspeed springs (it has bilstein shocks standard)... the stock suspension set-up is great, sits very flat through corners but is not a uncomfortable ride!

As for rims to small i think 15s are the perfect size, especially for a car that is going to see the track alot, tyres are alot cheaper and i feel the car rides better then bigger rims...

Nemo1412 - could have been me man, i honestly cant remember :( i have been doing alot of driving in it lately :P

i'd recomend NOT getting racing lifestyle flares, or any flares unless you have +5 to 0 offset'ed rims. seems to me that the +15 fits under the stock guard perfectly, why would you want flares?

Dave R
16-10-08, 04:36 PM
i'd recomend NOT getting racing lifestyle flares, or any flares unless you have +5 to 0 offset'ed rims. seems to me that the +15 fits under the stock guard perfectly, why would you want flares?

LOL.. All i said was i found some mang, they look farkn awesome! haha (i cant afford them anyways, i need to pay of the car and then get a hardtop stat!)

scathing
16-10-08, 06:23 PM
You bought a turbo car!?!?!?!!?

What happened to you man? You used to be cool.

Dave R
16-10-08, 06:38 PM
LOL.. it is just such a clean and capable car, i couldn't resist... oh and the fact i suddenly realized i couldn't afford my other options :P hehe

shonen
16-10-08, 06:42 PM
Ohhh interesting choice.

I like it :)

AWD make some awesome gauges for these cars..

Taz_
16-10-08, 07:03 PM
Nice car, i've always liked the SE's, hopefully you can overcome the factory's limited power aspirations when it came to adding a turbo...

Dave R
16-10-08, 07:20 PM
sometime in next couple of weeks once the exhaust, intake, injectors and ecu are fitted it should have 165rwkw, more then enough power to put down some fast times!

box_of
16-10-08, 07:54 PM
wheels are perfect imo
looking forward to see where this car goes, look awesome with a black hardtop

Dave R
16-10-08, 07:56 PM
thanks mate! i think the wheels look good to! the roof is just the soft top which is black, im yet to get hardtop... still deciding black or gunmetal (color coded)

Cheers Dave.

felixR
16-10-08, 07:58 PM
slam!

Wink
16-10-08, 08:03 PM
thanks mate! i think the wheels look good to! the roof is just the soft top which is black, im yet to get hardtop... still deciding black or gunmetal (color coded)

Cheers Dave.

Go the black hardtop, and then black out the A-pillars/top windscreen frame too.

Brendan
16-10-08, 08:34 PM

Cheers Dave.

the colour is carbon grey

but id look for a carbon fiber roof

philz
16-10-08, 08:40 PM
Are the Re001 you are using 195/50?

soooo tempted to get those wheels for my NB

Dave R
16-10-08, 09:19 PM
they are 205/50R15s.. i will be tracking them so i didnt want tooo much stretch.. im actual taking it down to oran park south for private practice! if any1 else holds a cams license come down!! say hi!! lol

as for carbon roof, i have found one on ebay, like $700 us, but then it cost around the same to bring it here, and it does not come with rear window, so i would need to get one made and fitted (of plastic or plexi something light) would end up more then buying a br one and brand new roof and painting it... lol

Mr Happ
16-10-08, 10:34 PM
www.good-win-racing for suspension / brake stuff for MX-5s Brian Goodwin is a serious steerer and knows whats what. (you might already be on to that)

.::F[L]Y::.
17-10-08, 12:29 AM
nice color.

did you consider buying an S2000? or was it just an mx5 that you wanted?

zawrilla
17-10-08, 12:43 AM
Nice car man. I really like the SEs. I'm thinking of trying to get a couple of months into next year actually.

I reckon the wheels look good. Never was a fan of the stock SE wheels, the 17s were too big. 15inch on an NA/NB is the perfect size as long as the car is dropped a bit.

The only problem with the SE is that it doesn't rev high enough :P. It pumps out a bit of power..but then just flattens out.. still great car.

As for hardtop..go gunmetal.

TAK47A
17-10-08, 12:44 AM
woot! good shit dave! now hurry up and track this baby! and then post up the times

Nobbsy
17-10-08, 01:03 AM
now that you're getting rid of the 'teg, your're not "the dave" any more....just dave,

you'll have to earn it back :)

Also, you'll ahve to get the mods to change your display name to "DAVE SE"

danielb
17-10-08, 09:19 AM
colour code the hardtop for sure dude...

vyets
17-10-08, 12:17 PM
Daym nice buy! I've always had a soft spot for these, does it feel heaps more fast then the dc2r? :D

Dave R
17-10-08, 03:53 PM
haha thanks guys..

i dont think it is faster then the integra atm, it needs to get tyres sorted, but otherwise it is good... did a 53.2 2day at oran park south with air con on and the re001's (i think it is time to move on to semi's as it was getting the ass out to much, and they told me to stop drifting ! haha) got some mad sideways action! :P

The Stock brakes are great, suspension is nice, but i felt it needs to be a bit stiffer at the rear, so maybe get the swaybars upgraded, strut braces and definitely need to do something with the ride height, the stock shocks are real good, but could do with stiffer springs and a bit of a drop at the front and a big drop at the rear. Also a fixed bucket will be needed, to much sliding around with the stock leather seats, so i will eventualy get a sparco sprint and a harness along with a roll bar and hardtop! Otherwise power is being sorted next week :D

As for changing name to Dave SE, my name is Dave 'R' because R is for my initial for my last name :P hehe

haha, now to add all the mods to my list :) and then work my ass of still to pay for it :( haha

rodent
17-10-08, 05:49 PM
As for changing name to Dave SE, my name is Dave 'R' because R is for my initial for my last name :P hehe

What about Dave RSE? ;)

nath
17-10-08, 06:00 PM
Dave Arse?

Nobbsy
17-10-08, 06:07 PM
Oh snap!

xero
18-10-08, 02:56 PM
sounds good to me...

Adam
18-10-08, 05:03 PM
Nice, needs some Stance GR+ though

evil_weevil
20-10-08, 04:39 PM
Dave,
Nice car mate! Real nice!!!

Good choice, mx5 is the skylines replacement....dont know when though haha

Will be good to see what times this new puppy gets!

Dave R
20-10-08, 06:25 PM
Went down to oran park south on friday... and did a 53.6 on the 15x8s with 205s on them... car was sliding wayyy to much (most likely due to the stretched tyres) Was very happy considering i am still getting used to it (and it is stock - bar the rims and intercooler) and i did a 51.9 in my integra the day after at round 9 on the same type of tyres (re001)
So, with some suspension work and tyres sorted, this thing is going to be a bloody rocket! lol

aidannn
20-10-08, 06:34 PM
the rims sit real nice

evil_weevil
21-10-08, 11:38 AM
Nice mate!!
well done!

CoffeeBoss
21-10-08, 05:05 PM
You've done well, son. Considering any Circuit Club or MX5 Club track days, or are you all about open days or IPRA or something? I mean i know you, but i don't really know you :D

I have driven the DC2R around Wakefield and the SE a few times (not on the track though)... ultimately i would think you will find the SE easier to extract quicker times from, but just as satisfying as the DC2R to race. Although i've always driven FR cars, so driving the DC2R in anger was quite different for me.

SE, so nice... extra chassis bracing from the factory. Just do the right thing with your turbo tuning, don't compromise that linearity too much! People don't get that about the SE, but I think they did a pretty good job of bolting in a reliable turbo setup without compromising the cost or balance too much. Plus you get such an excellent base to tune from. Jealousy daggers in your general direction!

Dave R
21-10-08, 07:18 PM
haha thanks

As for me, i am into supersprints, i enjoy the company there, they are all down to eartht guys who beleave it or not are happy to see eachother improving and share 'secrets' or what not about the track and there set-ups... (although there are always acceptions) haha

i will definitely be doing some circuit club days and as many MX5 Track days as possible, i go a long way back with the mx5 guys, my uncle used to be president of the club and i myself have been a member for 4 years :O haha (as well as scoring the most points for the mx5 in nsw supesprints, leading them to victory) :P

i love open days though! they are probably the most relaxing, rock up on a weekday with your own timer and go set some times :)

With the Set-up with the car, it will be fairly basic..
Saturday my car is going in to mx5 mania to receive there SE Stage 1 & 2 power upgrade kit that will give me 165rwkw... after that i am going to buy some tein coilovers, hardtop, roll bar, swaybars, strutbraces and i will probably do pads and disks along the way there somewhere, might upgrade to a SP Turbo after all that if i still want more out of the car (which i will :P)

i am aiming to do 1:06s on semi's at wakefield park.. i know it is achievable, as the car feels great even standard :)

Cheers Dave

RaYmO
03-11-08, 12:02 AM
Hey Dave

Saw your lil beastie @ the workshop on thursday... It is a MINT example mate :D

Dave R
03-11-08, 12:08 AM
cheers dude :) yer it is going hard.. made 160rwkw on friday when it was like 35'C or so! lol

i am trying to find myself a DE9 connector for my laptop so i can start playing around with the things like turbo timer and launch control and stuff wit my ecu :D

philz
03-11-08, 01:35 AM
What ECU are you using?

4shizz
03-11-08, 12:45 PM
man, that looks alotta fun. you should set up a in car video and get some you tube footage happening :)

^x2

ATMOSR
03-11-08, 02:07 PM
Congrats on purchase!

Always liked the SE's. Looks like a great little package to build upon!

TAK47A
03-11-08, 02:19 PM
nice car davveeee!! lol! found the de9 connector thing online to play with ur ecu?

Dave R
03-11-08, 06:03 PM
thanks guys...

it is a adaptronic ecu, from my experience so far it works wel9l, and has alot of interesting functions!

fonz mang i havnt found one yet... ill have to try drop in to dicksmith sometime and get a db9 serial port - usb connector..

Dave R
31-01-09, 05:09 PM
Thought i would post a pic of it i took today, i have had a few things added like brown davis roll bar and a cushioned button clutch and other bits and pieces (first page updated)..

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/DCR_88/IMG_1777-1.jpg

will have some more pics of it next week with my track rims 17x7 +42 Enkei RPF1's from JDM Yard (will be fitting 20mm spacers at the rear with them)... :D

CoffeeBoss
01-02-09, 01:02 PM
waaah, looking good Dave.

RPF1's.... I heart your wheel choice.

Current setup looks tasty though, the Brown Davis with that offset really transforms the car.

17x7's... Why not a wider wheel/ tire?

Dave R
01-02-09, 01:25 PM
17x7 is the optimal size for the car (i was speaking to dave at mania)

i will be running 215/45R17 on them.. but if i feel like i need a bit more rear end grip i can always put some 225 at the rear...

Cheers Dave..

next up is coilovers, swaybars, camber kits and carbon roof...

s_vtec
01-02-09, 05:49 PM
Looks awesome Dave, We should catch up soon :)

Dave R
06-02-09, 03:48 PM
Took a crappy picture of my car with the 17x7 RPF1's on the mx...

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/DCR_88/IMG_1783.jpg

thanks to the guys at top one for rolling the guards :D

z10
06-02-09, 04:43 PM
Took a crappy picture of my car with the 17x7 RPF1's on the mx...

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/DCR_88/IMG_1783.jpg

thanks to the guys at top one for rolling the guards :D

HOT!!

hammo_89
06-02-09, 04:47 PM
those wheels wit the semis on them looks awesome!! looks nice!!

blackster
06-02-09, 04:52 PM
Look's interesting, did you buy that car from Wen?

s_vtec
06-02-09, 05:43 PM
Looks good but needs more slamming :D

Buddah
06-02-09, 05:56 PM
Oh. I'll be damned. It is you I've been seeing on the way home from work. I thought you were still using the sportsmax.

tofuboy
22-03-09, 06:58 PM
this is sex! nicely done mate

Dave R
22-03-09, 10:51 PM
hey guys just a update.. i am pulling out of super sprints as i am sick of having to have the car ready for sprints and that (and the first round was a joke! did a 1:26 with no boost :P as the IC piping kept leaking!).. so i am going to just leave the mx5 for couple of months or so now and save up a bit for a daily. Then once i get a daily ill go back to concentrating on suspension, a hardtop and decided to bite the bullet and build the motor oh and a trailer :D

Dave R
22-03-09, 11:00 PM
http://www.trentwallis.com/albums/2009NSWSSRd1-91-121/92_Supersprint_TWP_6618.sized.jpg

http://www.trentwallis.com/albums/2009NSWSSRd1-91-121/92_Supersprint_TWP_6619.sized.jpg

Mmmm bodyroll! got to change the swaybars! haha

CoffeeBoss
23-03-09, 07:27 PM
Looks like the tires are doing their best work to me :D

This thing will be a menace if you decide to dedicate it to track work.

Which you should :D

evil_weevil
23-03-09, 08:25 PM
Hey Dave!
Long time no chat - Ive now got myself an mx5 :D

Hope to see you out at the track sometime mate!
cheers,
Chris

Dave R
23-03-09, 11:06 PM
Look's interesting, did you buy that car from Wen?

Yes i did, he had a nice Porsche boxter as a replacement..

Looks like the tires are doing their best work to me :D

This thing will be a menace if you decide to dedicate it to track work.

Which you should :D

Thats the plan atm, just whant to get a comfy daily (looking at a v8 calais or something along those lines) :D

Hey Dave!
Long time no chat - Ive now got myself an mx5 :D

Hope to see you out at the track sometime mate!
cheers,
Chris

I saw your thread dude! it looks really good! will have to make sure to get down to the track with you to check out ur new beast :D

JDM-mk
14-05-09, 12:07 PM
any updates ??

awesome car :)

Run-It-Hard
14-05-09, 12:51 PM
he's selling it now isnt he?

JDM-mk
14-05-09, 01:04 PM
yeah i think so , i dono :S

kuikuikuikui
15-10-09, 02:53 PM
nice i drive mx5 too !!

Dave R
15-10-09, 07:04 PM
Hey guys.. no real updates, just leaving the car as is atm and saving cash.. Going to the states early-mid next year and bringing back a charger or something alike.

evil_weevil
15-10-09, 07:11 PM
so can we put our orders in too?? :d

CoffeeBoss
16-10-09, 12:25 PM
so can we put our orders in too?? :d

Yeah, just need you to pop in and visit Brian Goodwin, won't take long :-)