PDA

View Full Version : Shopping & Partying in Japan - Help

r|Ce_bOi
17-01-07, 11:20 AM
Hi Guys,

I've planned a trip to go to Japan in late April this year with a group of friends for 2 weeks. We will be travelling to osaka & tokyo and possibly staying at place in between like kyoto etc.

Im keen on bringing back a couple of parts for my car (dc2r) but nothing of large size and which I can hand carry.

I know there's a super autobacs in tokyo bay which is accross the road from the station but and read some post from babalouie which was very helpful (thanks mate)

but if anyone can direct me with other places which i can visit with directions if possible that would be much appreciated aswell.

I hear the night life in Japan can be great too but really have no idea on where the best clubs or pubs maybe to have a good time. I've been researching on the net and heard of a few places, though i thought it would be nice to get some opinions and sugguestions from you guys here.

Thanks,

Dion

Babalouie
17-01-07, 11:52 AM
The thing about Japan is that there isn't much space and so even the biggest independent shops are pretty small. The upshot is that they often don't have what you want in stock. Autobacs is huge of course but it's pretty mainstream so they might not have say Spoon intakes or something....but they DO have Hello Kitty Baby on Board stickers :)

This isn't actually a huge problem, if you're happy to go to a shop, order what you want and pay for it, and go back 2 days later to pick it up (some shops will even deliver to your hotel for free).

What sort of parts did you want?

No idea on clubs tho, I'm more of a cars/food guy :D

4agte
17-01-07, 11:56 AM
i went to up-gargae for my parts they stock 2nd hand parts (some near new and some considerably cheaper than aus) they are all over the place in japan some bigger than others go to their website use google translators and maps its easy to find them some have english speaking salespeople aswell.

When your taking directions off websites etc they have these number references kinda like a UK postcode which identifies the exact block the building is on and every street directory has those references. If you get lost allmost all the convience stores have street directories and the staff are allways keen to help foriegners so with the above reference together with some pointing and gesuturing it all works out.

Train is by far the easiest way to get arround PERIOD!!!

The Tokyo train station has atleast 2 information counters where the attendants speak good english and will provide you with maps and which trains to catch where to change platforms etc for exactly where you need to go anywhere in japan VERY helpull!!!

If you are flying into Tokyo i assume it will be Narita airport. If so to get to tokyo catch the Narita Express the entrance to the station is in the terminal and is well signposted.

One place i can think of off the top of my head to visit would have to be Electic City if you want to buy anything electronic this is the place to go!!!

Cheap places to eat Mc Donnalds would have to be the place when i was there they had the 100yen menu 3 cheeseburgers 300 yen maybee not the healthiest but quick and cheap.

If you dont speak any japanese dont greet people in japaneese or they will start talking to you in Japanese but allways say origato (not sure if thats the spelling but its how its pronounced) when you finnish talking with them.

Hope this helps

edit:

when your bringing back parts you are limited to $800 value for car parts anything over you pay a %10 duty and %10 gst ontop (yes tax on tax) so be carefull you dont bring back $5k worth of stuff obviously they wont know the value of things but alot of things will arrouse susspision.

edit edit:

If you want to go out and see some of the underground scene it might pay to visit a couple of the 2nd hand parts shops and get talking to some of the english speaking staff when i was there one of the guys was into drifting we got talking and i mentioned that i wanted to see some drifting and he ended up taking me out to a drift meet in some industrial area of tokyo... They might not take you there but they can tell you where and when to go and see it so you can hire a car and what not

Tosh
17-01-07, 12:11 PM
http://www.carshop-nagano.co.jp/

http://www.c-jpn.com/

r|Ce_bOi
17-01-07, 12:11 PM
The thing about Japan is that there isn't much space and so even the biggest independent shops are pretty small. The upshot is that they often don't have what you want in stock. Autobacs is huge of course but it's pretty mainstream so they might not have say Spoon intakes or something....but they DO have Hello Kitty Baby on Board stickers :)

This isn't actually a huge problem, if you're happy to go to a shop, order what you want and pay for it, and go back 2 days later to pick it up (some shops will even deliver to your hotel for free).

What sort of parts did you want?

No idea on clubs tho, I'm more of a cars/food guy :D

i was planning on getting some defi gauges and probably some HIDs for my car :)

Babalouie
17-01-07, 12:21 PM
i was planning on getting some defi gauges and probably some HIDs for my car :)

Ahhh ok then. Take the Keisei Line to Aoto:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/SANY0095.jpg

...then walk 2 blocks sth:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/SANY0097.jpg

...to the river. Cross the river at the big bridge and that should be the Kan Nana Dori Ave. About 10mins walk sth you will see a Volvo dealer. Next to that is Carshop Nagano.:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Japan%20Trip/SANY0115.jpg

They will have Defis and IIRC I think he stocks Bellof HID kits. Prices as below:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Japan%20Trip/SANY0123.jpg

They only accept payment in CASH, ask for Kato (he's the only one that speaks English) and like I said get there a few days in advance in case they need to order parts in. But if you buy enough, ask nicely if they can deliver to your hotel (bring the business card for your hotel of course so that they have the name in Japanese).

The shop site is www.carshop-nagano.co.jp if you want to check out what else they got. It's worth the trip, it's the cheapest I have found in Japan for parts, maybe 20% cheaper than Autobacs.

r|Ce_bOi
17-01-07, 12:41 PM
thanks bablouie, your help is much appreciated :)

r|Ce_bOi
17-01-07, 12:46 PM
http://www.carshop-nagano.co.jp/

http://www.c-jpn.com/

thanks for the links, though im guessing that the 2nd link provided is the crystal autosports which everyone here talks about ?

r|Ce_bOi
17-01-07, 12:49 PM
thanks 4agte,
though i will be landing in osaka and taking the bullet train to tokyo
where is electric city btw ?

project2
17-01-07, 01:00 PM
HEY D, its your sisters Ex.. How you been mate?

HAPPY 26TH BIRTHDAY BTW AND ALL THE BEST WISHES AND ENJOY YOUR TRIP!

Babalouie
17-01-07, 01:40 PM
thanks 4agte,
though i will be landing in osaka and taking the bullet train to tokyo
where is electric city btw ?

Electric Town is Akihabara, which is a mini suburb where there are lots of electronic stores. It's ok, but it's a bit of a tourist trap and often the models they hawk are last yr's, etc. For electronic stuff that is the latest gear, a chain of stores called Yodobashi Camera is the best bet (like a massive Harvey Norman). There is one next to the station in Akihabara but the store in East Shinjuku (opposite the Keio shopping centre) is just as good if not slightly bigger and they always have models on sale. Eg I bought a Sanyo C7 camera at Yodobashi for $500, and at Akihabara they were selling C6s for slightly more.

thanks for the links, though im guessing that the 2nd link provided is the crystal autosports which everyone here talks about ?

Ya, that's Crystal. IMHO great prices Eg I bought a Greddy Profec at Crystal for Y31000 (at Nagano it's Y29800) but it's in Chiba and is *miles* away from the nearest train station. That said if you want to spend a whole day in Chiba, Crystal is about say a 10-15min cab ride away from Top Secret (they're on the same road). Re Amemiya are also in Chiba, but they're all not accessible by train, so you're going to be investing maybe $100 or so in cabfares.

Tosh
17-01-07, 01:50 PM
yeah the 2nd link is Crystal

Tosh
17-01-07, 01:51 PM
Crystal is about 10 to 15 mins in a cab from the nearest train station (Inage station I think) and cost me about 4,500 Yen one way

RaYmO
17-01-07, 03:40 PM
Babs, you're a well of information dude!

If only I had this info when I was in Japan in Sep!

Akihabara is good, nice to walk around and check out stuff but don't buy anything from there... Electronics there cost about the same price as Aus so there's no point getting anything there.

However, I just found out a few days ago that the place to get GREAT electronics stuff (newest/latest @ cheap prices) is to walk a few blocks away from Akihabara... That's where the locals go to get their shit.

Omawari_San
17-01-07, 09:25 PM
(...)
Cheap places to eat Mc Donnalds would have to be the place when i was there they had the 100yen menu 3 cheeseburgers 300 yen maybee not the healthiest but quick and cheap.
(...)

Don't eat at MCDOnalds. If it has to be junkfood, tale Mos Burger, Lotteria or 1st Kitchen instead. Or buy Obento/Sushi in a supermarktet shortly before they close. They sell it a lot cheaper then.

But Ramen, Curry or Sukyia would be around the same price, looks healthier and tastes alot better.

I recommend Upgarage too! Good shops!

nipnip
18-01-07, 12:03 PM
However, I just found out a few days ago that the place to get GREAT electronics stuff (newest/latest @ cheap prices) is to walk a few blocks away from Akihabara... That's where the locals go to get their shit.

more info please!

r|Ce_bOi
19-01-07, 04:29 PM
Hey RaYmO,

could you possibly give us directions to that place as mentioned above ?

Babalouie
19-01-07, 06:25 PM
Dunno if this is what he means, but the "tourist" area of Akihabara is right in the middle of this map, where you see the words "Chuo Dori":
http://www.tcvb.or.jp/en/infomation/2area/map/3ueno_map.gif

But on the OTHER side of the dotted-line train station is the big Yodobashi Camera, which is this huge, Harvey Norman that's like a massive 10floor building:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/3003_03.gif

That's where my japanese friends told me to go to buy electronic stuff, and when I did, I found my Xacti C6 camera for Y50,000 where the retail is Y75,000. There are Yodobashi Camera outlets everywhere but the biggest ones are in Akihabara and East Shinjuku.

...unless of course there is an even cheaper place that Raymo's talking about :D