PDA

View Full Version : Bike Jackets - What's hot and what's not?

.::F[L]Y::.
09-12-08, 11:03 PM
Hey guys,

I will be purchasing a bike jacket soon but not really sure where to start or what to look out for? From speaking to various people they have vaguely mentioned that the jacket should be;

-Comfy to wear when riding
-Offer protection in case of a stack

There quite a few brands around at varying prices its abit overwhelming. So im pretty much after a review on what you currently have or think is good. Primarily i dont think i will be tracking and will need a jacket which will suit all types of weather conditions for 'normal' riding.

Thanks

Peaking Duck
09-12-08, 11:50 PM
Yo Bro!

My Opinion based on what i wanted when i was riding.

Get a Textile jacket for street riding.
-breathable
-most are waterProof
-lightweight
-flexible and comfortable.
-dont look too much like an idiot when u walk around
-easier to pack under ur arm if its too hot to wear
-i dont know of any that are preshaped to riding position (better when walking around)
-cheaper
-most are a more looser design, allowing u to wear jumper underneath in winter

AND AND AND
get a full one-peice leather suit.

my logic is;

any time u wish to wear a leather jacket over a textile one (going hard on mountain roads etc etc) u really should be wearing a full suit..

Peaking Duck
09-12-08, 11:52 PM
if u wanna be kool and get a leather jacket,
i found that getting a preshaped one was more comfortable to ride with, but a bitch to wear while not riding...the design brought my shoulders forward and kept my elbows bent... walking around like a gorrilla

theyre bitch-hot in summer, lose their shape over time, lose their shape even faster if ridden in the rain.. my one faded over time... Oo and did i mention unconfortable?...

if u really want one,
get one that fits perfectly, or borderline tight.
u want it to be a second skin, firm on ur skin and not flapping around when ur gunning it fast
... also, when trying on jackets, dont ignore the tight sizes until u sit on a bike with it on... as i said, most of them are preshaped to comfortable while riding..

kev.inc
09-12-08, 11:58 PM
All weather riding, you cant go wrong with the dri-rider range. And also get a back protector as textile jackets don't offer much protection.

If you don't mind it being a bit stuffy in summer, go a reputable leather jacket. Offers far better protection, but as above you do walk like a gorilla and they are pricey.

Me personally, I using a leather jacket. Been through all 4 season.

09-12-08, 11:59 PM
thanks guys, just what i have been looking for.

So, from what your saying...Textile jacket wont really save my skin in the event i stack it?

Peaking Duck
10-12-08, 12:01 AM
..yes, far better protection for the upperBody, hence, Full one-peice suit to get complete protection..

and a textile one with a pair of Draggin or Hornee jeans for meeting ur mates at KKs

kev.inc
10-12-08, 12:03 AM
It will at lower speed, but at speed if you fall, your sliding will generate friction and eventually burn a hole through a textile jacket. Not nice. :P

Peaking Duck
10-12-08, 12:06 AM
back in the old day,
my brother crashed in a DriRider Pirelli Jacket at Putty Road
was a pretty bad crash.
the jacket held up good for that particular crash..
the only problem was the jacket rode up his leaving his side exposed to the gravel..

HENCE! one peice Suit! AHHA

BLISTC
10-12-08, 11:19 AM
i have a Dianesse leather jacket

it is very comfy and i can wear it during summer and winter as it has the inner thermal and it is removeable.

Garth Ivers
10-12-08, 12:44 PM
dainese 'jack black' will be my next jacket

10-12-08, 08:58 PM
^^ looks like a very nice jacket!

Garth Ivers
10-12-08, 10:41 PM
hells yes!

haikii
10-12-08, 10:44 PM
Whats the difference between leather jackets anyway? aren't they all to give a certain amount of skidding time etc. What would one look for when looking into leathers? besides being comfortable.

Garth Ivers
10-12-08, 11:15 PM
armor, openable breathing holes, nice tight fit, removable thermal lining, etc

Peaking Duck
10-12-08, 11:44 PM
Whats the difference between leather jackets anyway? aren't they all to give a certain amount of skidding time etc. What would one look for when looking into leathers? besides being comfortable.

ive mentioned alot of stuff above.. :)

Garth Ivers
16-12-08, 01:23 AM
oh no one mentioned belstaff yet!

good for those who dont want red/yellow/blue emblazoned racing getup

http://www.belstaff.net

danielb
16-12-08, 09:15 AM
No point getting a leather jacket if it doesn't fit right either, it has to be super tight to make sure it doesn't ride up if you do end up stacking it.

Saying that though, i've always worn leather jackets. Prefer being protected and sweating than having to get gravel removed from my skin

I'm wearing a dainese jacket when riding at the moment, and you definately notice the difference over the cheaper brands. The leather is lighter but still strong, the cheaper leather jackets have very stiff, thick leather. Make sure the jacket you buy has the plastic inserts / protectors for your elbows and shoulders at the least as well. Back protector is also highly recommended.

Roadster
16-12-08, 10:49 AM
Bought my first dainese jacket. a D-TEC stratojet. Coming from a alpinestar textile jacket and a laro's leather stun jacket, this touring jacket in the cooler days is the bomb! not for one second did I not feel warm. if your not wanting the racer image, then just go textile for the street.

Daniel, just wait till you try this on.. it'll turn into the cbr250 episode all over again! haahah

http://www.modamoto.net/superstore/Dainese/imagenes/chaquetas/stratojet_dry.jpg
http://www.modamoto.net/superstore/Dainese/imagenes/chaquetas/stratojet_dry_b.jpg

danielb
16-12-08, 02:19 PM
Won't be trying anything on till i get another bike.. i have too many jackets already :lol:

BLISTC
16-12-08, 11:55 PM
ive got the dianese arizona - excellent jacket but my one is black / white

http://www.eshop-moto.cz/images/zbozi/1023/arizona.jpg

its very comfy and its not tight fitting either. good excellent leather, removealbe inner thermal lining, removeable shoulder and elbow guards, zippers with wind pockets / holes and it is very light too

ive worn it out on the town once or twice in winter its very fasionable :)

snowman
17-12-08, 11:09 AM
Mark you poser hahaha i bet you went clubbing in your dianese lol

ive actually stacked it on a bike and i tell ya dont waste money on a 1000$ jacket.

any jacket with shoulder/ elbow protection is fine, because at the end of the day the extra $$$ wont save you from a broken bone. Jackets will just save your skin so IMO go for a decent leather jacket with thermo lining for winter.

Knight Rider
17-12-08, 05:02 PM
Those Dainese jackets look amazing but are so priceyyy.... Alpinestars ftw..... until I get a dainese jacket :P

17-12-08, 05:50 PM
i tried both alpinestars and dainese. Dainese leather is much softer and feels alot nicer and more comfy than the AS jackets. BLISTC how much did that jacket set you back? looks very nice! suits all occasions

SfS
17-12-08, 06:17 PM
My dad wants me to get a leather jacket not a textile one cause he says they're useless.

How much protection do they give you?

kev.inc
17-12-08, 06:22 PM
A couple of piece of soft rubber/plastic usually in the elbows and shoulder area. Back protector is about half inch of foam.:lol:

Whether you go leather or textile and even if the jacket already has a back protector, get another one. Broken bones can be fixed and heal but break your spine and that's it.

benxxx
17-12-08, 10:53 PM
I've been down at 80ks in a textile jacket, it did it's job, but had to throw it away after.

EM16A
18-12-08, 07:05 PM
I had a A* jacket during summer, with back protection and all and damn was it hot!! If your in a traffic jam, you'll cook!

I'd say textile for daytime and leather for night!

Don't go black too, they won't see you.

benxxx
18-12-08, 08:40 PM
If your in a traffic jam.

There are no traffic jams on a bike.

also if you get hot when cruising just position yourself to get the best airflow works a treat

BLISTC
18-12-08, 11:20 PM
Mark you poser hahaha i bet you went clubbing in your dianese lol

ive actually stacked it on a bike and i tell ya dont waste money on a 1000$ jacket.

any jacket with shoulder/ elbow protection is fine, because at the end of the day the extra $$$ wont save you from a broken bone. Jackets will just save your skin so IMO go for a decent leather jacket with thermo lining for winter.

yeh ive seen that stack too, wasnt pretty, and your right all the protection in the world wont save you from broken bones...

oh and the clubbing thing, yeh man remember when we went to sapphire one night after a night of riding and we got let in with all our gear.... rockin the dianese jacket yaaaahh lol

Y::.;366046']i tried both alpinestars and dainese. Dainese leather is much softer and feels alot nicer and more comfy than the AS jackets. BLISTC how much did that jacket set you back? looks very nice! suits all occasions

the jacket was $999 but because i had a friend working @ Action Motorcycles i got it for $750

snowman
24-12-08, 12:14 AM
hahahaha sapphire was the bomb!!

another good thing about leather jackets is they offer bonus protection during road rage incidents :D

SfS
24-12-08, 04:47 PM
Yerp, just bought this aye!

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/5674/getattachmentvp3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

c0LL1n
25-12-08, 03:37 PM
^nice buy, how much did you pick it up for?
is it nice and tight, with enough ventilation and protection..
im currently buying my all my gear now
Just wondering if anybody knows any places that stock Berik jackets in Sydney..

benxxx
25-12-08, 08:59 PM
^nice buy, how much did you pick it up for?
is it nice and tight, with enough ventilation and protection..
im currently buying my all my gear now
Just wondering if anybody knows any places that stock Berik jackets in Sydney..

Bike biz @ parramatta has berik stuff.

SfS
26-12-08, 08:32 AM
$400 it was. I got it a bit of a loser fit because when i was trying them all on I was only wearing a singlet which was a dumb idea lol.

I thought if i'm going to wear it in winter ill have to leave a bit of space for maybe a jumper and such, but yeh still fits really good!

c0LL1n
26-12-08, 03:05 PM
^yeh just wear a thicker shirt or jumper underneath so that it isnt too loose. does it have 'hip adjustment' like a strap you can pull tighter around your waist?

Bike biz @ parramatta has berik stuff.

Yeh i checked their website, but they only have race suits available. Im just only looking for a leather jacket atm. Theres a store based in Queensland 'Ficeda Accessories' that has the full Berik range, but I obviously need to try them on 1st before i'd buy.
Any other places beside Bike Biz that might stock Berik? Maybe more around the St George area...

SfS
27-12-08, 09:16 AM
Yeh it's got the hip adjustment :)

benxxx
28-12-08, 06:59 PM
^yeh just wear a thicker shirt or jumper underneath so that it isnt too loose. does it have 'hip adjustment' like a strap you can pull tighter around your waist?

Yeh i checked their website, but they only have race suits available. Im just only looking for a leather jacket atm. Theres a store based in Queensland 'Ficeda Accessories' that has the full Berik range, but I obviously need to try them on 1st before i'd buy.
Any other places beside Bike Biz that might stock Berik? Maybe more around the St George area...

Ring them or go visit, they have them...

JOK3R
29-12-08, 08:36 PM
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/300/2007_Icon_Accelerant_Jacket.jpg

Might buy this one :)

SfS
29-12-08, 09:00 PM
I must say today when I was doing the first day of my course, leather jackets are EXTREMELY FREAKN HOT!!!

Everything else is not lol.

benxxx
30-12-08, 03:25 PM
Yeah low speed is always gay, when you're cruising you can move yourself around to take advantage of the wind to cool you down, but yeah when going slow or stopped it's terrible

Zilli
24-01-09, 02:45 PM
u just got a Dainese Lucky... great jacket, internal padding if needed, just fucking hot in this weather!