PDA

View Full Version : Nearest Place in QLD to visit Great Barrier Reef?

lovesil
03-02-07, 02:44 PM
For those that lives in QLD or been to Great Barrier Reef from Brissy, where's the nearest town i can drive to, and do a Great Barrier Reef tour without having to take a flight to one of the islands along the north east coast?

Brian_J
03-02-07, 03:01 PM
just go to cairns!

scathing
03-02-07, 04:56 PM
Or Rockhampton. You can get out to Great Keppel as well.

Harves
04-02-07, 11:02 AM
Hervey Bay would be a nice place to go. Bribie, Curtis, Great Keppel, Fraser, Lady Elliot, Moreton, Nth Stradborke, North West and Sth Strandbroke islands are around that area.

The further north you go, the more reef there is :D

If you were going to go around Cairns area, I would get a boat called the Wavedancer http://www.seedownunder.com.au/destination/queensland/port-douglas/port-douglas-tours/wavedancer/images/wavedancer-sailing-01.gif
and go to Low isle....very nice spot

lovesil
04-02-07, 11:26 AM
Thanks for all advises. I checked and decided to head off to town 1770 (weird name) where there's this "fitzroy reef lagoon". Said to be one of the top 6 place one must go when visiting GBR. And its pretty close to Bundaberg where i will stay overnight.

josh2.5
04-02-07, 11:25 PM
1770 or Bundy is exactly what I was about to say to you mate. I havnt been to the reef there but have heard many good things about it.