PDA

View Full Version : How to remove a ROUNDED NUT?? Anyone??

D CUPS
06-02-07, 10:02 PM
As above..

ive removed my RX7 strut brace and about to put on my Cusco OS brace, then I rounded 1 frikn nut.

So im unsure how to remove it. Is there trick of the trades way to remove it?

Far out, damn nuts.

BLISTC
06-02-07, 10:04 PM
chisel and hammer!

its what i used when i rounded a strut tower nut too lol

Gorilla
06-02-07, 10:05 PM
try vice grips

D CUPS
06-02-07, 10:13 PM
lol

thanks fellas.....i will try the vice grip then if it even rounds more i try the chisel and hammer

4agte
06-02-07, 10:13 PM
vice grips are worth a shot first make sure you get them on there nice and tight otherwise it will just chew the nut up more

if that dosent work you can buy special sockets that will grip a stripped nut they f*ck the nut (not that it isnt allready) so remember not to use them on the good ones

dont ever use a chissel and a hammer no offence blistc

Gorilla
06-02-07, 10:14 PM
lol....chisel? cold chisel? hehehe

A'PEXi
06-02-07, 10:35 PM
hammer a socket onto the nut, a tight fitting one, prepare to stuff socket tho hahahaha....

multigrips aka vicegrips??

make sure you get yourself a breaker bar for next time, they are awesome :D

D CUPS
06-02-07, 11:05 PM
ok getting late, im giving up...save it for tomorrow. The vice grips wont grip, and i have one huge mother of a vice grip so theres no room to turn it.

I might try your idea Ray tomorrow when I get home from work hammer a smaller size socket in, otherwise buy that special socket.

D CUPS
06-02-07, 11:07 PM
...oh and I picked up a hammer in one hand and a chisel in the other, stared at both, looked at the nut, and chickened out haha!! I might hammer and damage something else. Damn wish I was a pro.

project2
06-02-07, 11:18 PM
damn chesta you girl haha if you cant unlosen it dont force it! use a leaver of somesort like a bar, trolley poll or something that will fit to give you more

next time use your tools properly. Like what everyone said use a vice grip or you can use some silcon tube grip stuff which you can buy at repco.

BLISTC
06-02-07, 11:23 PM
fuckin pussies lol

chisel and hammer it turned the nut just enough to loosen it and did the rest by hand :)

Justin Fox
06-02-07, 11:58 PM
Use a drill. I've done that with the massive nut holding down the rear wiper motor on the GT-R. Hardcore but it worked!

Babalouie
07-02-07, 12:10 AM
Use a drill. I've done that with the massive nut holding down the rear wiper motor on the GT-R. Hardcore but it worked!

Me too....if it's a small bolt like say less than a 12mm head, I drilled a hole and then hammered an allen key into it and slowly turned it out :D

project2
07-02-07, 12:15 AM
Me too....if it's a small bolt like say less than a 12mm head, I drilled a hole and then hammered an allen key into it and slowly turned it out :D
smart! but time consuming

Chesta - when unbolting nuts, did you make sure you loosened them first to remove them later only not remove them 1 at a time? this might of caused the lose thread around the nut..?

Nismodified
07-02-07, 01:19 PM
angle grinder, grind down two sides to suit another spanner or something, then use spanner.

Sp33dY
07-02-07, 02:28 PM
ALWAYS USE decent tools .... those cheap $10 socket sets are crap and will often round nuts ......... same goes with cheapo hex keys ...... even cheap quality nuts will sucumb to good tools though, so u are sometimes at a loss either way! :P *pats his huge kincrome sock set*

S14
07-02-07, 04:13 PM
Vice grips are shit. Use stilsens. They are the shit.

If theres not enough room for stilsens then id file down(or angle grind like nismodified said) a couple sides and then put a smaller socket or shifter on it.

ClioF1
07-02-07, 06:44 PM
Vice grips are shit. Use stilsens. They are the shit.

If theres not enough room for stilsens then id file down(or angle grind like nismodified said) a couple sides and then put a smaller socket or shifter on it.

Inside info from the tradie FTW :)

Drilling it out is my usual last resort, start small and work your way up the drill bits until the thread crumbles.

4agte
08-02-07, 11:33 AM
hrrrm angle grinding near a strut tower hrrrm......

like said above pays to use good quality tools to prevent this from happening i assume when you put the nuts back on for your strut brace your gonna torque them to the proper specs

Nismodified
08-02-07, 01:28 PM
or if u dont want to be dodgy, a nut splitted is a handy tool, and will do the job.

Babalouie
08-02-07, 01:52 PM
or if u dont want to be dodgy, a nut splitted is a handy tool, and will do the job.

Nut splitter? Sounds painful :F)

4agte
08-02-07, 03:11 PM
Nut splitter? Sounds painful :F)

lol

S14
08-02-07, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=4agte;31575]hrrrm angle grinding near a strut tower hrrrm......
[QUOTE]

Theres nothing wrong with using a angle grinder as long as you know what your doing ;)

4agte
08-02-07, 04:51 PM
i agree but one slip and you can put a nice big gash in the body of the car...

S14
08-02-07, 05:14 PM
Agreed... So for those who dont know how to use an angle grinder... dont go near body of car:)

IcemaN
08-02-07, 05:39 PM
Agreed... So for those who dont know how to use an angle grinder... dont go near body of car:)

why whats wrong with speed gashes:D

definatly go the drill process, start small and work your way out:)

good luck

D CUPS
10-02-07, 01:24 PM
THANKS ALL YOU FELLAS FOR YOUR ADVICE :D

The nut is OFF! WOOHOO.

-Vice grip alone didnt work
-Tried hammering a smaller size socket, rounded the nut even more
-Impact Socket Wrench didnt work
-Chisel and hammer didnt work the tough tight as nut still wouldnt budge

Today, Saturday morning, took it too the workshop, grabbed a smaller vice grip and OXY TORCH (whatever you call it) heated the nut up til it went bright red, quickly locked in the vice grip and with a little nudge..
VOILA! Its off. Though a little of the paint around the nut area came off, quickly touch it up with some black paint and you couldnt even notice.

WOOHOO! Cusco OS Brace is now on. Blardy tight nuts.

felixR
10-02-07, 04:06 PM
good stuff!

now for the pics! :P

D CUPS
10-02-07, 06:07 PM
hehe...heres my dodgy pics..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/djchesta/DSCF1085.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/djchesta/DSCF1088.jpg

FC3S
10-02-07, 07:24 PM
what a co-incident man, i installed a cusco OS on my FC these few days too!
nice work. big difference aye?

D CUPS
10-02-07, 10:36 PM
yes, there is a difference just little. Ive got OEM Mazdaspeed Strut brace rear, glad the Cusco looks very similar.

FD
15-02-07, 01:12 AM
Nice Brace

Rotary_rockeT
17-02-07, 03:11 AM
ha ha, didn't you have this same thread in ausrotary? :)