PDA

View Full Version : icon that shows you have replied in a thread

anth
22-05-09, 11:17 AM
minor question/suggestion here

on some other forums, when you are looking at the list of topics/threads in whichever category, the symbol next to each thread title usually changes to signify that you have left a reply in that topic. is it possible to get that here?

Queenie
22-05-09, 11:44 AM
There's already a little green + sign that shows there has been a new post made in that 'category' of threads, and the thread it has been made in, pushes to the top.

Tazz
22-05-09, 11:52 AM
he's not asking about new posts.. rather if he has made a post in the topic..

in order to check that you'll see a little icon with a green tick in the same box that the title of the thread is in but on the right hand side.. dunno if that makes sense..

anth
22-05-09, 11:54 AM
i thought that just mean that there are new posts in that section?

what i mean is a symbol that shows when YOU personally have made a post in a thread. examples below from other forums:

regular topic: http://www.melbs15.com/style_images/rooq/f_norm.gif
topic you have posted in: http://www.melbs15.com/style_images/rooq/f_norm_dot.gif

regular topic: http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/style_images/1/f_norm.gif
topic you have posted in: http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/style_images/1/f_norm_dot.gif

hope that makes sense :)

Queenie
22-05-09, 12:03 PM
Ahhh yes, makes sense now.
Is it really necessary? Serious question.

If you have made a post, do you need to be reminded that you have made one?

anth
22-05-09, 12:20 PM
its not necessary, just asking if its available, as i find it helpful

Shiri
22-05-09, 01:46 PM
If you have subscriptions on (it should be as it's a default) then this icon appears in topics you've posted in http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/images/misc/subscribed.gif which is located at the end of the topic line.

I think this is sufficient.

anth
22-05-09, 02:14 PM
Subscribing to a thread means you get email notification every time someone replies doesn't it? i could see that getting really annoying, all those emails in your inbox. Although that little "tick" icon would be handy.

anyhoo if its not available then so be it, just thought id ask.

Shiri
22-05-09, 02:39 PM
Email notifications are turned off by default to my understanding as I've never had one.

milkman
22-05-09, 02:44 PM
I prefer having a 'you replied to' icon than a subscribed one. Having too many subscribed threads just make it harder to manage.

Surely, it's not difficult to integrate? this is the only vBulletin forum I am on that doesn't use this feature.

dopey
22-05-09, 02:59 PM
vBulletin normally does this by default. Perhaps it's just turned off in the Control Panel.

lukecivic
22-05-09, 04:13 PM
yeah ive thought about this aswell and why this forum dosnt have it.
its a good feature

Shiri
22-05-09, 06:37 PM
I've never had a problem managing subscriped threads... I find it a lot better going into User CP and finding all the threads that have since had a reply.

There's no difference to having the subscription icon than having another icon to say i replied to it. Why double handle?

milkman
22-05-09, 07:10 PM
Because I like pushing 'New Post' and seeing if there is a reply to a thread I have posted in..

I only subscribe to threads I am truely keen on.. I don't exactly want 100 threads in my subscribed threads folder..

lukecivic
22-05-09, 09:07 PM
Because I like pushing 'New Post' and seeing if there is a reply to a thread I have posted in..

I only subscribe to threads I am truely keen on.. I don't exactly want 100 threads in my subscribed threads folder..

ditto
i really dont see why its such a big deal that some of us want that feature on here

Shiri
22-05-09, 11:58 PM

There is already that functionality. When I click New Posts I see the tick and I know I've posted in there. I never have any problems with having a subscribed thread with every thread I've posted in, usually it's less than 10 threads when I click on User CP. I thought this was default as I've never set it as a setting so thought everyone had the same setup.

ditto
i really dont see why its such a big deal that some of us want that feature on here

It's not a big deal and thats why some of us think it's not needed.

Mike.V?!
23-05-09, 01:52 AM
You guys are arguing about an ICON. Go outside or something, shit..

anth
23-05-09, 02:23 PM
i merely brought it up as a suggestion...i didnt realise we would have someone take it apon them selves to take a stand against it for some unknown reason. apologies for asking in the section subtitled "Announcements, contests, feedback and suggestions"

OVTEC
23-05-09, 07:32 PM
i like the idea of the icon anth mentioned :)

u mad?
24-05-09, 09:09 AM
icon is good

danielb
24-05-09, 12:35 PM
I think it's definately a useful feature on other forums.

doofus
24-05-09, 04:56 PM
You guys are arguing about an ICON. Go outside or something, shit..

this man speaks the truth.

and yes, i think its a good idea too. no need to argue about everything shiri. go out and buy a few more t-shirts.

Shiri
24-05-09, 06:05 PM
I was just saying it's already there!!! lol sif pick on me for trying to help you guys see it.

u mad?
25-05-09, 01:08 AM
its not there though?

Shiri
25-05-09, 01:36 AM
It is and I told you how to get it if you want it... solution to original question provided! close thread IMO

anth
25-05-09, 10:20 AM
IMO you could have just said your piece and leave it at that, but instead you've single handedly turned a simple question/suggestion thread into a nerdy shitfight...for what reason or purpose i'll never know.

all i have to say is i can see 6 or so other people who think its a good idea...

Shiri
25-05-09, 12:02 PM
Well you asked me a follow up question when I did say my piece that I had to answer.

lol, There's no shitfight, I agree it's a good idea, but I already have it! I told you how to get it and you've all insisted that's not good enough. You guys haven't even bothered to try it.

anth
25-05-09, 12:11 PM
bah...im over it :lol: