PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Second hand DSLR bodies

chris86
02-07-09, 10:10 PM
I know of lot of guys on here have DSLRs here and I'm just curious as to who uses a second hand and who uses brand new.

I got mine brand new since it was like $400 bucks off RRP so it was effectively the same price as second hand ones hehe

brasher
02-07-09, 10:38 PM
Depends what it is really, my last camera a 1dsmk2 when new was 12k or something, I bought it 2 years old with a new shutter for $2700, one and a half years later I sold it for $3k :lol: Massive depreciation!

But bought my 5d2 new and having that peice of mind that for one year god forbid if it shit's itself it's under warranty.

But in short, nothing wrong with second hand, massive bargains to be had.

siddr20
02-07-09, 11:24 PM
Nothing wrong with a 2nd hand body.

I bought my first slr (350d) 2nd hand of a friend of mine.. Used it for a year til i upgraded..

Save yourself some cash and go 2nd hand :) Offcourse do a good inspection before hand.

tofuboy
02-07-09, 11:37 PM
yer 2nd hand is fine. theres heaps of good condition cameras out there. just stay away from fungus, and do a proper inspection. Got my 20D 2nd-hand, best buy ever. saved me some money to get a tripod.

keviny
02-07-09, 11:39 PM
If you are not worried about warranty, 2nd hand is a bargin!... I bought a 1 year old 5D for considerably less and never had a problem with it.

lovesil
03-07-09, 09:07 AM
Like cars, DSLR bodys depreciate alot. IMO, only buy new if you can get it much cheaper than retail, otherwise most 2nd hand body's in good condition. The thing about DSLR is that most owners tend to take real good care of it as they ain't cheap.

beermonkey
03-07-09, 12:55 PM
Nothing wrong with buying second hand. When I bought my 40D it was in mint condition, had only 300 or so actuations from the previous owner, currently still on its first year canon warranty + extra 3yrs extended warranty. Practically it was brand new and was bought at a bargain price.

fufu
03-07-09, 05:12 PM
Yea, there are a lot of really nice second hand bodies and lenses.

Where else can you find, close to new, a 1D III for $1200 or a 24-70mm F2.8L for $600 or a 16-35mm F2.8L II for $800. Don't ask I have inside connections with Canon Service Centre.

My other mindset is if i bought new I'd go full out, with warranty and other options. I don't think i would appreciate photography if i bought new gear. With my used gear i just go full out from spamming shutters, getting in the most awkward positions, including the worst of weathers.

Worse comes to worse I can always repair it or buy another used one to replace it, without incurring the huge loss of buying brand new.

4shizz
03-07-09, 06:02 PM
i got my d40 brand new with a twin lense kit+8 gig sd card and 3year extended warranty for around the 500-550 mark... :)

De_Cruelz
03-07-09, 06:12 PM
2nd hand bodies are great for those considering to get into photography. It's obviously cheaper to buy 2nd hand and a great way to start learning, experimenting, etc. Once you master the concepts of shutter speed, aperture, ISO, DOF you can adapt to any other camera out there :)

For the more experienced guys, a 2nd hand body could be a higher end model as opposed to a lower end brand new one! As with everything else make sure you inspect carefully and test before you buy :)

fufu, I'd take the 1D III right now if you have one at that price! :shock:

fufu
04-07-09, 06:28 PM
fufu, I'd take the 1D III right now if you have one at that price! :shock:

;) I'm also waiting for a 1Ds III or a 5D II. Just have to wait.