PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki DR-Z400SM - any opinions?

Justin Fox
03-07-09, 09:47 AM
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2006models/2006-Suzuki-DR-Z400SMa.jpg

Suzuki DR-Z400SM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqUZo3QOyio

benxxx
03-07-09, 09:51 AM
They are great, I've ridden one an it's good fun, shitty top speed, but that's what you get when you have punchy gearing.

My mechanic loves them too, says you can do heaps of crazy shit on them and they go forever

danielb
03-07-09, 09:55 AM
My opinion is that if i had to go through LAMS again this is what i would be riding

brasher
03-07-09, 10:59 AM
I still have my DRZ400E.

Bulletproof bike, ultra low maintenance and very reliable.

BUT!

Maybe it's just me, but the DRZ400SM is slow as fuck! It's still fun to ride but in a straight line it just doesn't have the go in stock form.

Good news is there is much go fast gear for these bikes as you can shake a stick at, from Full exhaust systems to Bigger carbs, higher comp base gaskets and off the shelf heads to gain more power. Not to mention the Dozen or so stroker kits you can get for these things.

Stock they are around the 35hp mark, with a couple of G's thrown at it you can get it to 55hp and still maintain 5000km service intervals and a lifetime of abuse.

Great bike, just needs more Grunt.

benxxx
03-07-09, 11:08 AM
It would be the gearing for sure, the SM is geared longer than the E so the power wouldn't be as agressive. but obviously a higher top speed, I think Fezz used to top out at 145 or so at EC on his SM

Justin Fox
03-07-09, 11:24 AM
Slow sounds good to me guys!!!

Can anyone comment on the seat height? I'm 167cm short and would feel more comfortable if I could get my feet flat on the ground.

benxxx
03-07-09, 11:37 AM
The seat height is high, but it's skinny and comes down with suspension sag, it's hard to say what the final seat height is, you'd have to throw a leg over one to see.

brasher
03-07-09, 11:41 AM
It would be the gearing for sure, the SM is geared longer than the E so the power wouldn't be as agressive. but obviously a higher top speed, I think Fezz used to top out at 145 or so at EC on his SM

Nope, they are actually just slow.

Mine topped out at 155 with 13/52 gearing so they have legs. Just the SM's have a drinking straw header pipe, a smaller shit carb, bigger base gasket (lower compression ratio) and a lot more restricted airbox.

Seat height on the SM is ok, would suit you fine. Brakes are excellent too I forgot to add, no need to upgrade them.

If you got one, first thing to do is a Barrett Full system and Rejet, they sounds so tough when freed up a bit.

ram
03-07-09, 11:58 AM
excuse my ignorance but how much do these go for roughly

Justin Fox
03-07-09, 11:58 AM
Just slightly off topic. I've found quite a few street legal trail bikes which have low seat heights, could I just "whack" on slicks to these bikes or is there more to it than that?

brasher
03-07-09, 12:38 PM
Just FYI, I have a 07 DRZ400E with <3000km's and rego till Jan for sale if you are interested. Would be looking for a bit over $6k.

benxxx
03-07-09, 12:52 PM
Just slightly off topic. I've found quite a few street legal trail bikes which have low seat heights, could I just "whack" on slicks to these bikes or is there more to it than that?

Rim sizes are different, which makes it hard to get a decent road tyre, smaller brakes on the MX bikes, longer suspension travel too.

brasher
03-07-09, 01:04 PM
shhh stop putting him off my bike :lol:

benxxx
03-07-09, 01:16 PM
lol I wasn't bro, I reckon you could make an awesome SM from a MX bike, just need to time and cash

nebuchernezzer
03-07-09, 02:00 PM
Not tooo much involved in making a enduro bike into a sm. The sm bike will have different wheels, stiffer suspension and taller gearing. Often they have a bigger front brake as well.

But really all you actually NEED is the wheels to start with. You can buy them as kits, adapt road bike wheels (17" is the most common size) or whatnot. Going to 17" wheels will lower the bike slightly as is (cos dirtbikes use 21/18" stagger wheels usually).

Also i didn't realise the DRZ400 had so little power! My 250 makes more than that i'm sure!!

Justin Fox
06-07-09, 09:34 AM
I've been doing a lot of research into converting a trail bike into a supermoto and there's a lot out there.

It's just the kind of thing I'd really get into to be honest. I'm now considering getting a really noob like bike, maybe an XT250. It's got a super low saddle, no power and converting it into an SM isn't going to be easy, but the callenge sounds like fun to me.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Much appreciated!

danielb
06-07-09, 10:00 AM
Justin just a quick word of advice

I thought the same initially before riding on the road, that i wouldnt really need much power as even the 'slow' bikes are still relatively quick in comparison to a slow car.

I'd recommend something a bit bigger than a 250 if you're going to get serious with it, as you may regret not doing so down the track! If you can control your right wrist then the extra power can be considered a luxury as they would still be as tractable if not moreso at low speeds/rpm than the lower capacity bikes.

Justin Fox
06-07-09, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the advice Daniel.

I've only had two 250cc bikes and whilst they were far from fast I felt they were fine, power wise (all I used them for was commuting a few km's to uni and back every day). If anything I'm more worried about the weight of a bike, that's something I never quite got comfortable with with the SRV250, and that's probably a really light bike in comparisson to the beasts that you guys ride!!!

I doubt I'd ever get serious with bikes though, modding it for fun, sure, but I doubt I'd be riding it that much.

At this stage I am all over the place. I rode Appin yesterday on the mountain bike and couldn't help but feel both excited, and jealous of the guys on their trail bikes. Would love to give it a go.

nebuchernezzer
06-07-09, 05:30 PM
You'll get used to the power quickly I think. I bought a 250 2 stroke as my first bike and it's good, i doubt i'll need more power any time. But my mate who bought an XR250 as his first bike is starting to miss not having more go, especially since he's a bigger guy than i am. We've been riding about 2 months now. But we are kind of flogging the bikes alot more since it's mostly offroad too....

I had a look at the spec on the new XT250, it's 123kg dry which...isn't that light compared to a proper offroad dirtbike. My older KTM is about 115kg and most of my mates bikes are another 10kg lighter than that (and although it doesn't seem much you can feel it sometimes!).

How about something a bit more like an XR250R or a WR250F? They'll suck at 110km/h but they'll be fine for sub 80km/h commuting and they'll be good offroad :).

Roadster
07-07-09, 10:02 AM
buy buy buy, i wanna ride ride ride!