PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming

van
25-02-07, 01:58 PM
I was going to say that it sucks to be Australian right now, but on the topic of global warming, frankly it simply sucks to be human.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/GlobalWarming/story?id=2866985&page=1

In just one generation, Sydney could slide into a near permanent state of drought. There could be a dramatic rise in deadly bushfires. Temperatures would rise 10 or 15 degrees Fahrenheit, or more. Heat-related deaths would soar from nearly 200 to more than 1,200 a year. The report was very grim reading, especially for the people of Sydney.

I can't remember what it's called, but there's a part of the human psyche that prioritises our list of concerns, based on their level of imminence. Smokers know that smoking will kill them, but because the immediacy of said death is potentially decades away, most humans aren't properly able to prioritise quitting. Once the body becomes addicted/dependant to/on the substances in cigarettes, the subconscious mind determines that the dangers are less important. This translates into the conscious mind as indifference and acceptance - and in some - denial. Basically anything that will allow the body to continue getting its fix.

So, if you substitute "global warming" where "cigarettes" is, and "modern conveniences" with "fix", you've pretty much got the outline of the problem.

I'll take a punt and say that 90% of the western population of the world are aware - even if they deny the truth to themselves because accepting the truth would open them up to unwanted guilt - that we're slowly but surely ruining the planet, but we tell ourselves a whole bunch of jumbo to help ourselves ignore it. Things like "technology will save us, they're working on filters and enviro-friendly engines right now" and "the statistics are wrong, heaps of scientist say so" (ignoring the fact that most of those scientists are funded or employed by groups with a strong interest in making the statistics and research look false), et cetera.

van
25-02-07, 02:00 PM
I think this quote lends itself well to what I said above, too.

How are Australians responding?

I think the biggest problem we've got in Australia is the one that we have all around the world. We are very poor responders to SLOW change. If someone takes a swing at you. You know what to do — DUCK. But if somebody tells you over the next 50 years your world is going to profoundly change, you think, "Eh! Am I gonna be alive or not? … Do I really worry about it?"

We've always been a little bit, "Ah, she'll be right, mate! Ya know, it's not too much of a panic." But just now, they seem to be worrying up. I think the message is coming in from all over the globe from this latest report. Suddenly people are saying, "Okay, maybe MY life won't change personally that much, but what about my KIDS?"

Babalouie
25-02-07, 03:01 PM
This was the subject of an article in a UK car mag a few mths ago....made some interesting reading.

Apparently by far the greatest contributor to greenhouse gasses are coal-burning electricity stations at 25%. Cars only come in at 12% with commercial airliners just slightly behind.

The interesting thing is, in the UK, ppl who drive big 4WDs are often pilloried for worsening greenhouse gasses, but big 4WDs only accounted for something like 0.2% of total car emissions since they were a minority (this is in the Uk remember). Other scary thing is that China is building something like 500 new coal burning electricity stations in order to keep pace with economic growth, and that increase will be equal to twice the greenhouse gasses that the UK emits in total.

But the thrust of the article was that while the auto industry has done a lot to curb emissions, other industries have not done anything at all. Eg. a modern car puts out 50 times less greenhouse gasses than a 1960's car, which is a massive improvement, and has allowed the automotive contribution to global warming to remain static, even though the global car population has grown heaps and heaps.

So there you go. If you want to really help global warming, stop buying Chinese intercoolers :D

lovesil
25-02-07, 07:59 PM
I remember seeing a TV program where they mention about the australia coal industry (QLD). It is stated that a major part of Aus economy is based on our coal mining. Although the amount of Aus produced coal doesn't make up a significant part of the greenhouse gas production, it will however cause a huge effect on our economy if we stop all our coal business. Hence, the QLD Premier reckons the answer is to obtain zero emission coal technology.

It might be true that as our technology knowledge catches up, we can significantly reduce or even zero greenhouse emission, but people shouldn't be naive enough to think it will come in our lifetime. Hence, all we can do, (IMO) is to be as green as possible till the time where human can come out with a real solution.

franks
26-02-07, 10:08 AM
calculate your emmissions and do something about it...

http://www.greenfleet.com.au/

Frogger
26-02-07, 12:05 PM
calculate your emmissions and do something about it...

http://www.greenfleet.com.au/

Cool... i just made a donation.

From 'An Inconvenient Truth', we do have the solutions for slowing or even stopping global warming. The problem is we need a global effort and it costs $$$$!!

While its scary that a lot of the 3rd world continues to pump out the pollutants, 1st world nations who can afford it NEED to set an example.

franks
26-02-07, 01:40 PM
Cool... i just made a donation.

From 'An Inconvenient Truth', we do have the solutions for slowing or even stopping global warming. The problem is we need a global effort and it costs $$$$!!

While its scary that a lot of the 3rd world continues to pump out the pollutants, 1st world nations who can afford it NEED to set an example.

good work!!! :)

i contributed about 102 trees worth as i included a long overseas trip into the equation (aswell as the rest of the household).

wilch
26-02-07, 06:44 PM
The funniest thing is the Earth will recover.

We aren't killing the Earth, if anything we're killing ourselves. We're just going to become extinct while the Earth moves on.

VTECMACHINE
26-02-07, 07:08 PM
I like warm globes! Cold ones suck balls...

Buddah
04-03-07, 12:10 PM
Yeah "the inconvenient truth" is a real wake up call.

Where as we may not contribute as much greenhouse gases, apparently Australia has the highest rate of contribution to greenhouse gases per person. Dirty dirty people we are

Mr. Grim Reaper
04-03-07, 02:22 PM
Blah! Global warming and all of its excitement is a crock of shit! I don’t think that it is such a big deal, or even an unnatural event.

xxploSive
04-03-07, 05:02 PM
I envisage a period in the near future where the earth will be so unlivable all the old, sick, disabled die off.

There are too many of us alive, too many defective, overweight, stupid and ignorant people around these days - it will be a survival of the fittest, just mother nature cleansing the trash - another step in the grand scale of evolution?

Where did the great Egyptian civilization go? Well they over worked the land so much it turned into desert and they've all but disappeared...now it's time for the Western (global) civilization to go?

Shiri
18-07-08, 10:28 AM
Bumping this up to draw attention to an interesting articale, and also with the large amount of press atm due to the Labor government's new Climate Change Tax I think it's important that people are well informed about it.

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/column_seven_graphs_to_end_the_warming_hype/

lingeringsoul
18-07-08, 11:09 AM
The funniest thing is the Earth will recover.

We aren't killing the Earth, if anything we're killing ourselves. We're just going to become extinct while the Earth moves on.

thats actually one of the best statements I've heard so far. Natural will alwasy find a way to recover from it, weeds grow back, ,trees grows back, we're just slowly killing ourselves.

gimic
18-07-08, 11:41 AM
Bumping this up to draw attention to an interesting articale, and also with the large amount of press atm due to the Labor government's new Climate Change Tax I think it's important that people are well informed about it.

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/column_seven_graphs_to_end_the_warming_hype/

I just finished that. Good article by Bolt.

There is always another side, isn't there?

The Panda
18-07-08, 11:55 AM
Blah! Global warming and all of its excitement is a crock of shit! I don’t think that it is such a big deal, or even an unnatural event.

I like this motion. For me, the earth is in a perpetual state of change. For example, take bacteria, it is constantly evolving to to a changing climate (even in the face of man made agents which act against it). Whilst people cry wolf over extinction, perhaps we have just not been around long enough to see the evolution of new species? And how can we estimate species extinction when we dont even know how many there are? IMHO all of the science which surrounds global warming has tended to be innacurate and speculative. I will find a few texts to support this view when i go home. + and interesting observation on the actual impact of human occupation on greenhouse gases etc...

Shiri
18-07-08, 01:36 PM
I'm glad I bumped this thread... i was starting to think that everyone thought global warming is fact... the mind set is changing according to the last 3 responses in this thread. I just hope it's not to late for the economy to go into meltdown because of it

trism
18-07-08, 01:46 PM
go and read a book called state of fear by Michael Crichton.

Its fictional but has alot of real life evidence to disprove global warming...

i dont believe in it...

its the earths cycles.

greenhouse gasses are going to be released no matter what.... we are just doing it in a different way

black200
18-07-08, 02:43 PM
global warming is as natural as the ice age

global warming is a business scam. So much money to be made out of the fear

Keby
18-07-08, 02:46 PM
I'm just assuming the aliens will come and save us.

Sicarius123
18-07-08, 02:53 PM
Meh, we're only 2,000 years out of the next ice age anyway.

This article is an easy to read summary of a lot of things I've been reading.
http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/ice_ages.html

Also the fact the earth hasn't actually warmed up in the last ten years is a great rebuttal. But hey, global warming will kill us all tomorrow!

The problem is the period of time which the sensationalist scientists are looking at to get their statistics and facts on global warming. If you look over a much longer period of time we're just coming out of a colder period of history.

Evan
18-07-08, 02:58 PM
I think global warming is real and people who dimiss it and not care about the environment as ignorant.

Sicarius123
18-07-08, 03:04 PM
FUN FACTS about CARBON DIOXIDE

Of the 186 billion tons of CO2 that enter earth's atmosphere each year from all sources, only 6 billion tons are from human activity. Approximately 90 billion tons come from biologic activity in earth's oceans and another 90 billion tons from such sources as volcanoes and decaying land plants.

At 368 parts per million CO2 is a minor constituent of earth's atmosphere-- less than 4/100ths of 1% of all gases present. Compared to former geologic times, earth's current atmosphere is CO2- impoverished.

CO2 is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. Plants absorb CO2 and emit oxygen as a waste product. Humans and animals breathe oxygen and emit CO2 as a waste product. Carbon dioxide is a nutrient, not a pollutant, and all life-- plants and animals alike-- benefit from more of it. All life on earth is carbon-based and CO2 is an essential ingredient. When plant-growers want to stimulate plant growth, they introduce more carbon dioxide.

CO2 that goes into the atmosphere does not stay there but is continually recycled by terrestrial plant life and earth's oceans-- the great retirement home for most terrestrial carbon dioxide.

If we are in a global warming crisis today, even the most aggressive and costly proposals for limiting industrial carbon dioxide emissions would have a negligible effect on global climate!

Now I'm not saying that we don't have to stop polluting in other ways, we're definitely ruining the environment and that needs to be addressed. But global warming is the biggest crock of shit ever. It's about as truthful as the catholic church!

dopey
18-07-08, 03:12 PM
Climate changes, shit happens, that's life. I'm not going to pay extra taxes and bust my balls over it. What a fucking load of crap.

I prefer to stick to my own rule of not being a dick using things excessively and recycling what I can, and that's about it. I'm not going any further out of my way than that. This whole "Carbon Offsets" thing is yet another giant money making scam..

Sicarius123
18-07-08, 04:11 PM
Ok, so Australia causes what? 1.5% of the human C02 emissions worldwide? And that's 6 out of 186 billion tonnes of C02 entering the atmosphere every year that is caused by humans?

Australia is NEVER going to have an effect on the amount of C02 entering the atmosphere, hell even if humans stopped releasing C02 alltogether there would be barely any effect.

Why the fuck should I pay more taxes because our prime minister is a wanker who can't do anything which is ACTUALLY important?

black200
18-07-08, 05:36 PM
I suppose we're all going to get cancer from mobile phones and diet coke is going to kill us in the next 10 years too

ignorant is watching TV and the radio and listening to politicians and believing everything you hear!

dom
18-07-08, 08:15 PM
Theres definatly two sides to this arguement.

Personally I do believe global warming is real, but i also think that its darwinism in action. Is the fact that the disabled and sick, die out because of global warming a bad thing? If the first person who had (insert genetic condition) was abandoned by the 'tribe' than sure they would have died, but there death would have stoped the continuation of the gene. Modern medicine is to an extent slowing evolution. I dont mean to sound cold and inhumaine but where would we be without evolution?

But back onto global warming, why fight emisions trading schemes, their goal is to force the country to become more efficent. Wheather or not global warming is real, we should always strive for efficentcy, should we not.

Oh and Andrew Bolt is a backwards fagot and someone I will never have respect for, you just have to read the comments from his articles to see that the only people who are listening to him are high-income conservatives.

intercooled
19-07-08, 11:37 AM
thats actually one of the best statements I've heard so far. Natural will alwasy find a way to recover from it, weeds grow back, ,trees grows back, we're just slowly killing ourselves.

Not really, populations are growing bigger than ever and the whole world is live longer than ever...

Shiri
22-07-08, 12:16 PM
There's no way I can understand how not believing in global warming is ignorant. I think it's more ignorant to accept on face value what our government is telling us when all evidence is pointing to an inconclusive fact. The globe hasn't warmed in a decade, and it's peak in 1998 has dropped by .06 of a degree every year since. There's more evidence pointing to a sun spot that's failed to ignite that will cause the globe to COOL within the next 10 years.

It's increadibly stupid to jump into a economic reform, which all of us will have to front the bill for on top of interest rates, based on inconclusive theories when the next 5 years will tell us a hell of a lot more about global warming than in any other time.

Shiri
18-08-08, 05:31 PM
60 Minutes throws weight behind the Global Warming Swindle, presenting evidence of doubt towards Climate Change. In the process, they make Kevin Rudd look like the dopey idiot he is.

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=614370

ram
18-08-08, 06:10 PM
But 60 minutes is just a dressed up version of ACA/TT

Shiri
18-08-08, 06:12 PM
Which is why presenting contradictary evidence to global warming is a big step towards a balanced approach to it. Up until now all 60 Minutes has mostly presented is evidence torwards Man-made global warming. Check the video, they contradict a lot of what they have talked about in the past about it being an undeniable fact. It means a lot that even main-stream current affair program are seeing it for the farce it is...

Elwood
18-08-08, 06:30 PM
If you feel so strongly, sell your car and buy a push bike.

..Thats what i thought.