PDA

View Full Version : Camera Gear... Where do you shop??

Kaotic
26-09-09, 02:07 AM
Where is a fairly reasonable priced place to shop for camera gear?

Lenses, filters, battery Grips ect

name of the shop and its location would be Great:D

[ekkY]
26-09-09, 02:42 AM
cash converters

chkn72
26-09-09, 03:02 AM
I've always bought my gear at either Ted's or Camera House, simply because they've been the only local place to buy... if you have the option of shopping around, check online, www.d-d-photographics.com.au usually have good prices...

Peaking Duck
26-09-09, 10:46 AM
as with hobby shopping,

best to find a place or person u can bond well with.

its not just the price, but the long term service too!
u may not get the best price straight away, but u will eventually.\

i buy my crap from CameraHouse parramatta mainly as impulse buys as my GF roams around parra westfields on thursdays.

also from camerahouse Sydney Kent st..
they tend to have more L grade stuff and lighting equipment and Filters

im confortable with these guys

siddr20
26-09-09, 10:50 AM
camerasdirect.

Have bought well over 5k worth of gear with them.

Order on Monday and arrives Wednesday morning :)

Kaotic
26-09-09, 12:23 PM
might go have a look today... you guys have the address of those shops?

mattymc
26-09-09, 12:29 PM
dirtcheapcameras.com there shop front is called flecthers electronical i believe. cheapest place ive found yet. i think there in goerge street or something like that. check there site

Kaotic
26-09-09, 12:38 PM
going by dirtcheapcameras.com

270ex Flash- $250
430ex Flash- $430
580ex Flash- $595

the 430ex sounds like a good buy for a noob:D

jd_911
26-09-09, 01:05 PM
430 is cheaper HERE (http://www.fotofriends.com.au/spec_sheet.html?catalog[name]=Canon-Speedlite-430EX-II-Flashes-and-speedlights&catalog[product_guids][0]=82305e09-1073-4e7b-b867-667309b42d79)

Address:

277 Bankstown Centro
Bankstown, NSW

Not too sure if its a grey import.

+1 for d-d-photographics though, if you don't mind grey imports, address:

Unit 2, 174-180 Pacific Highway, North Sydney

http://www.d-d-photographics.com/

Just replied to your pm too...

Brucey
26-09-09, 01:15 PM
Go onto shopbot.com.au and search for camera gear

It is an online directory giving you the cheapest prices for the products you are after.

It has a list of the cheapest stores to the highest, gives you their website details.

EG search for Canon 430EX II and you get this....

http://www.shopbot.com.au/default.asp?kw=Canon+430EX+II&position=search

430EX II is $295 before postage from the first store.

Kaotic
26-09-09, 01:16 PM
but bankstown is soo far.... d-d had one for quite cheap to... my mums overseas at the moment so ill see if they are cheaper so she can get me one...

Added you but your not online??

EGG80X
26-09-09, 01:57 PM
Have bought well over 5k worth of gear with them.

what a baller

chris86
26-09-09, 02:30 PM
Just be wary of who you buy your gear from when it comes time for a warranty claim.

Canon Australia generally will not take a look at grey import stock. Grey import stock is stock that has been imported into Australia outside of Canon's usual authorised importers.

This stock is generally only sold by Canon Authorised dealers.

d-d-photographics and camerasdirect are both sellers of grey imported stock. They also provide 12 month warranty on stock sold by them. These importers have to source their own warranty agents to make this possible. They may not necessarily use Canon Australia to get repairs done by warranty.

For small ticket items like filters and cleaning accesories - it really doesn't matter where you buy it from. Although with big ticket items like top end lenses, top of the line flashes and expensive camera bodies, you may want to evaluate the quality of service with warranty claims through grey importers. Also buying grey imported stock you aren't going to be eligible to get any free gifts/cash backs/promotions as those are only available to people who buy their gear from authorised dealers.

OVTEC
26-09-09, 02:40 PM
430 is cheaper HERE (http://www.fotofriends.com.au/spec_sheet.html?catalog[name]=Canon-Speedlite-430EX-II-Flashes-and-speedlights&catalog[product_guids][0]=82305e09-1073-4e7b-b867-667309b42d79)

Address:

277 Bankstown Centro
Bankstown, NSW

Not too sure if its a grey import.

+1 for d-d-photographics though, if you don't mind grey imports, address:

Unit 2, 174-180 Pacific Highway, North Sydney

http://www.d-d-photographics.com/

Just replied to your pm too...

haha my friend works there ;)

Peaking Duck
26-09-09, 03:27 PM
going by dirtcheapcameras.com

270ex Flash- $250
430ex Flash- $430
580ex Flash- $595

the 430ex sounds like a good buy for a noob:D

i got my 430EXII for $380
Ryda near rick damilian.

if its ur primary flash, get a 580EXII.

i have both, but i hate using the 430EXII ONLY due to its shit buttons..

Futile
26-09-09, 03:58 PM
I worked for camera house for a fair time, and beleive me the amount of people that come in asking us to help them because they have nowhere to turn to is amazing.

Companys that bring in Grey Imports, dont bother. Yes they're cheap but if something goes wrong, you dont know who is servicing your gear- it def isnt canon though!

Buying overseas is a good but bad idea, again if you have any issues, canon WILL NOT touch it, even if you pay for they're services. The only time this is a good idea is if you could buy 2-3 or more of the same item before its as expensive as the australian price.

I remember one of our staff members wanted to get the canon 600L series, and was a ludacris price! BUT he could buy 3 of them from the states before it was as expensive as COST price here in australia so ofcourse he bought from the states, assuming if anything happened to it, it was going to be a 'throw away' item.

Moral of the story is- Go to camera house, and find someone that has the knowledge you are after. You treat them well and they will be your best friend for all your needs. Hell I even specially ordered a lense ($$$ L series fisheye) just to lend to one of my best customers cause his needed a clean...

** This is not a plug for camera house, but out of all the stores I've been to as a customer they're still the best of the big stores- otherwise find a nice small store who will take care of you because most others your a customer... until your out the door and then they just dont care.

Kaotic
26-09-09, 04:05 PM
SLIIDR- Address for camera house?
what time do they close today?
would i be able to recommend you to get better prices:D?

Futile
26-09-09, 04:09 PM
lol my camera house is here on the central coast- and no you would'nt make it haha.

Most close at 5:30 and theres a few around sydney, one in the CBD too but I cant remember the exact address. At the end of the day mate, just make yourself one of the customers they want coming back and they will always give you the best price they can...

Kaotic
27-09-09, 09:02 PM
after talking to chris... will probably get a 580ex...

Matt Mead
27-09-09, 09:12 PM
All canon lens have international warrenty. Canon have no choice but to touch it. Its only bodys that are effected. There are heaps of camera repair places that will fix your body for cheaper then canon will anyway.

Gray Import ftw. Nothing i own has been bought from an offical aussie canon dealer.

Oh yeah 580ex2 is overated. id prefer to use my 540ez manual flash that i bought for 40$

Matt Mead
27-09-09, 09:50 PM
All canon lens have international warrenty. Canon have no choice but to touch it. Its only bodys that are effected. There are heaps of camera repair places that will fix your body for cheaper then canon will anyway.

Gray Import ftw. Nothing i own has been bought from an offical aussie canon dealer.

Oh yeah 580ex2 is overated. id prefer to use my 540ez manual flash that i bought for 40$

whyte
28-09-09, 12:17 PM
I worked for camera house for a fair time, and beleive me the amount of people that come in asking us to help them because they have nowhere to turn to is amazing.

Companys that bring in Grey Imports, dont bother. Yes they're cheap but if something goes wrong, you dont know who is servicing your gear- it def isnt canon though!

Buying overseas is a good but bad idea, again if you have any issues, canon WILL NOT touch it, even if you pay for they're services. The only time this is a good idea is if you could buy 2-3 or more of the same item before its as expensive as the australian price.

I remember one of our staff members wanted to get the canon 600L series, and was a ludacris price! BUT he could buy 3 of them from the states before it was as expensive as COST price here in australia so ofcourse he bought from the states, assuming if anything happened to it, it was going to be a 'throw away' item.

correcto, we don't touch grey imports sent in for warranty repairs, we immediately refer them back to the place of purchase or simply pay the repair fee to get it fixed. customers chuck up a stink about seller claiming it has 1year manufacturers warranty but we say, sorry we cannot help you, maybe its best if you buy from an authorised dealer next time and not online as you aren't saving that much.

brasher
28-09-09, 03:47 PM
Buy it stolen, heaps cheaper bro's.

EGG80X
28-09-09, 04:56 PM
Buy it stolen, heaps cheaper bro's.

pm ekky, he got hook ups lol

btw, like Matt mention before, canon lens and accessories do have international warranty

satanic
28-09-09, 05:31 PM
Whiltons in Sydney CBD

257 Elizabeth Street
Sydney NSW 2000
(02) 9267 8429

Open Mon-Fri (8-6pm) and Sat (8-2pm)

Offers servicing, repairs, new / used gear, from n00b to l33t

dreams
28-09-09, 05:43 PM
cheap? u gotta to know the person behind the desk!.
I shop at Teds in Adelaide, fyi 10-20$ diff to offset the postage is fair enough for me. considering You SEE it before hand is a plus.

Futile
28-09-09, 10:19 PM

Hmm well this is a number of years ago now (like 3-4 years) and back then I can garuntee you, canon would STILL not touch it... so obviously something has changed then :)

Matt Mead
29-09-09, 10:01 AM
Im pretty sure the international warrenty thing only came in when i started getting into photography. As i remember the first lens i bought never had and it was a grey import... But my 70-200 and 17-40 both have international warrenty, both grey imports aswell.

Futile
29-09-09, 10:11 AM
hmm thats strange cause yeah they never use to touch anything, even if it was bought duty free in another airport years ago...

ahh well so there you go OP- some stuff you might get fixed other shit might not... its up to you!

kula
29-09-09, 11:49 AM
both nikon and canon have always had international warranties on their lenses.

never heard otherwise.

Peaking Duck
29-09-09, 12:28 PM
with the local market very competitive with the grey market,
if ur impulse buyer like me, and dont like to wait next to ur mail box, supporting local business is the way to go !

whyte
29-09-09, 12:36 PM
we have international warranty on all digital cameras & dslr & lenses/flashes. but if it was purchased ONLINE from overseas, its most likely grey market/import so we cannot help them. if they provide receipt from store purchase then they are ok unless we find the serial #'s are fake or non legit.

EGG80X
30-09-09, 06:16 PM
with the local market very competitive with the grey market,
if ur impulse buyer like me, and dont like to wait next to ur mail box, supporting local business is the way to go !

well, it only take 3 days to ship form nyc to front of my door steps

Total Monkey Kaos
30-09-09, 11:28 PM
well, it only take 3 days to ship form nyc to front of my door steps

I presume your talking about BH Video :)

The only thing better than ordering from them is buying your gear in person there.. Its near impossible not to walk out of there broke :twisted:

Dave

Monkey.Magic3
21-10-09, 10:56 PM
Im pretty sure the international warrenty thing only came in when i started getting into photography. As i remember the first lens i bought never had and it was a grey import... But my 70-200 and 17-40 both have international warrenty, both grey imports aswell.

Matt,

From what I've read, International warranty only applies to "L" glasses, I am not aware of it being valid for accessories as well, however, Canon might have been more generous now to broaden there international warranty service to just any lens and accessories (as you said) is so...awesome!

Extended MACK Warranty is also available for camera product, this is what I usually purchase on top with Bodies and Lenses, no they don't use Canon to repair your gear but nevertheless it is still a repair and a warranty so that keeps me happy and gives me peace of mind.

Alan.

minix3
22-10-09, 09:50 PM
I've bought a few filters off ebay as well as remote triggers. They were $2 plus free shipping from HK so even if they don't work, meh. I also bought cheap lense/filter cases and lens hoods from ebay.
Anything major such as batteries, flashes, battery grips etc. I get from Camera Warehouse. Probably not the cheapest though.