PDA

View Full Version : iPhone who..? This is the ANDROID thread.

van
04-11-09, 09:43 AM
Okay, despite my provocative thread title, I don't actually have an opinion yet on which is better out of the iPhone and Google's Android OS.

That said, I believe that open platforms are, as a rule, a better approach, and this argument is obviously supported by the thousands of people who have jailbroken their iPhones.

For those that don't know what Android is, it's basically the first decent competitor for the iPhone OS, along with Palm's webOS as used on the Palm Pre (not available in Australia yet).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_%28operating_system%29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDviTGDCvGM
CNET's 'first look' at the Motorola Droid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDviTGDCvGM (not sure why the vid isn't loading in this page...)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o128/localmike/stuff/droid-by-motorola-front-home.jpg

Discuss.

HuH
04-11-09, 10:56 AM
I'm really not convinced. The OS seems clever, but visually it hardly compares. Apart from voice navigation, it doesn't seem to do anything that the iPhone can't. Having a higher resolution camera doesn't mean the images are going to look any better (just bigger) and the keyboard adds precisely zero to it's appeal as far as I'm concerned. I'm not an iPhone tragic that's out to shoot down all new competitors, but the benchmark has been set pretty high.

Rad
04-11-09, 10:59 AM
If I didn't have an iPhone I'd definitely be going something Android. With Google behind it, it'll only get better.

The_Giefster
04-11-09, 11:01 AM
I've used a google phone with Android. It was nice and it acted just like an iphone. (sideways scroll) But I felt it was lacking something. The browser was buggy, the android store was not working properly. It's still early days but I will be sticking with my iphone.

Wink
04-11-09, 11:43 AM
I'm afraid nothing will ever replace my iPhone mainly because Apple has really got its hooks into me
Now I can't live without iTunes, podcasts and iPod in-car integration.

Unless another mobile phone/MP3 player offers me these things or viable alternatives, I don't think I'd even consider it now.

striken2o
04-11-09, 12:17 PM
hmmmm

hopefully they'll have a couple models avaliable next year when my iphone contract runs out, then we'll see which one is worthy

Paoooul
04-11-09, 12:23 PM
There are a few new phones on the running line for android.
Haven't played much with it, good if you are heavy user of most of google's bits and pieces (mail, apps, etc etc etc).

I view it as a decent alternative to the iPhone, but the iPhone just works a whole lot cleaner and is a tid bit more user friendly.

I think iPhone had a larger target market (everyone) while Android OS was more targetted at people who want to tinker and fuck around with stuff/google fans.

danielb
04-11-09, 12:35 PM
I'm waiting for nokia's new n900, which is running a TRUE open source OS, maemo 5.

Videos are online of it running stuff like Quake 3, basically any unix app will work on it.

Paoooul
04-11-09, 01:48 PM
I'm waiting for nokia's new n900, which is running a TRUE open source OS, maemo 5.

Videos are online of it running stuff like Quake 3, basically any unix app will work on it.

heh, as long as they actually DO upgrade to an OS (anything but symbian ffs), i'd give it a try. When the first whispers of the n97 were around there were apparently plans for the OS on it to be a new fresh OS.. N900 sure does look nice though.

JDM-20L
04-11-09, 06:15 PM
I own both an iPhone & HTC Magic (android o.s.) and I can safely say hands down gimme my Magic any day of the week!!! ANY day.... I just wish more people would see the light!! I can't think of one thing not to like about my Magic with android??? I really can't

The Magic -> http://www.htc.com/www/product/magic/overview.html

Good forum to check out -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php

Happy to answer any questions you have about it!! :)

scathing
04-11-09, 07:12 PM
That said, I believe that open platforms are, as a rule, a better approach, and this argument is obviously supported by the thousands of people who have jailbroken their iPhones.

How open is the platform?

Stories like this (http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/09/android-community-aims-to-replace-googles-proprietary-bits.ars) don't inspire me with confidence.

It's not just the openness of the OS itself. Developing applications to run over it via their SDK is a "some are more equal than others" (http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2008/07/googles-android-platform-not-so-open-after-all.ars) proposition.

I see the App Store's "closedness" to be an extension of what makes a Mac more reliable than a PC; Apple's stringent control. It used to be so much harder to find peripheral hardware (let alone clones) since everything was Apple approved, and most of it Apple produced. Microsoft let everyone and everyone build computers around their OS, and most of their problems stem from dodgy hardware or crappy third party software fucking things up by clashing.

Unlike computers, consumers expect their phones to perform phone-like functions perfectly all the time. Having software tap your battery, or having memory leaks killing performance until you reboot (something I regularly experience with my Blackberry) does not go down well.

While I don't agree with the lack of transparency, and evident variability, of Apple's review process for iPhone Apps I think that any third party functionality extensions for an appliance should have an approval process.

Without the review process in the App store, shit like this (http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/01/an-android-market-application-has.ars) can also happen.

bds
04-11-09, 07:25 PM
I love it, and because of my deep hatrid of Apple hopefully it sells like crazy.

That being said I dont think I can giveup my Bold, well until the Droid can connect to my BES =)

The Panda
04-11-09, 07:38 PM
I love it, and because of my deep hatrid of Apple hopefully it sells like crazy.

That being said I dont think I can giveup my Bold, well until the Droid can connect to my BES =)

Its really unfortunate that a company like apple has a real hate it or love it attitude. Personally i hate them - i hate their ethic, arrogance and general attitude towards others.

For all intents and purposes, nothing they have ever done has ever been particularly ground breaking, but they give off the image that they have. So all the yuppies are a flocking. And it breaks my heart. Congratulations to the marketing department

The iPhone is rubbish. And i don't care what anybody says. Its crap. I have used one extensively, and i found it relatively easy to use and full of funky features. But thats just it. Its a fucking phone. Im sick of the whole entourage of attitudes that accompany the iPhone with near everyone who gets one.

The Android. I like the idea of an open platform, but history teaches us to be very wary of those who offer open platforms like this. Do i think it will compete with Apple. Hell yes. Google is a youth magnet. Bing has barely even made a dent in their market share, and part of this is the huge Google talent machine and amazingly moulded "advertising.". Don't be skeptical of what they will bring out, it will be far from a half-arsed effort like Windows Vista, and will likely be more affordable as well.

dr1ft.jp
04-11-09, 09:58 PM
I have an HTC Android phone, it is called an HT-03A here but not sure what it is called in Oz

http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/product/foma/pro/ht03a/

I got it because I wanted to keep the same carrier... it gets bogged down a bit and is a little buggy, but recently it had a big update which sorted out a few issues. It is a bit creepy how it updates without telling you and it is not good for typing Japanese, but I like it and it is not an iPhone.

pr1nce
04-11-09, 10:25 PM
For all intents and purposes, nothing they have ever done has ever been particularly ground breaking, but they give off the image that they have. So all the yuppies are a flocking. And it breaks my heart. Congratulations to the marketing department

Apple had the first ever GUI OS. I don't know how well that worked out for humans.

They also helped propel the use of a mouse in 1984.

They were the first computer to have a CD-ROM drive. They were the first to drop Floppy Disk Drives from their computers and opted for USB.

scathing
04-11-09, 10:26 PM
Yes, but they didn't invent any of it.

The fact that you bought the waffle just proves Panda's point. Marketing trumps reality.

pr1nce
04-11-09, 10:31 PM
Well he never said they haven't invented anything, just that they've never done anything groundbreaking.

They are a company that is willing to take risks. They have a few million fanboys, but you can't deny that they are always pushing the envelope.

It's not like Google invented the search engine.

scathing
04-11-09, 10:44 PM
I suppose Apple did beat Microsoft to the punch when it came to stealing another company's intellectual property.

When Microsoft fans start getting indignant about another company stealing ideas they stole from someone else, I suppose that'll be another industry trend their company pioneers.

--drew--
04-11-09, 11:12 PM
To bring this topic back onto point.

I, like JDM-20L have a HTC Magic too.
Awsome phone to use and does everything i need it too plus more.

Cannot wait for Android to develop alot more as it has a hell of alot of potential

danielb
04-11-09, 11:36 PM
When Microsoft fans start getting indignant about another company stealing ideas they stole from someone else, I suppose that'll be another industry trend their company pioneers.

:lol:

Apple are great at taking tech which the general public are either too inept to use, or ignorant to know exists; and implementing it in a way in which is easy to use for basically everyone regardless of their tech-savviness. I think this is a good thing.

JDM-20L
05-11-09, 11:13 AM
I have an HTC Android phone, it is called an HT-03A here but not sure what it is called in Oz

http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/product/foma/pro/ht03a/

I got it because I wanted to keep the same carrier... it gets bogged down a bit and is a little buggy, but recently it had a big update which sorted out a few issues. It is a bit creepy how it updates without telling you and it is not good for typing Japanese, but I like it and it is not an iPhone.

That is what we call the HTC MAGIC here..... AKA Sapphire as well apparently?

lol @ the auto update.... that spun me out at first too.... :lol:

To bring this topic back onto point.

I, like JDM-20L have a HTC Magic too.
Awsome phone to use and does everything i need it too plus more.

Cannot wait for Android to develop alot more as it has a hell of alot of potential

Ah so thats two guy's with magic's anyone else? lol

I am personally loving all the hate in this thread towards the iphone... lol keep it coming.

The Panda
05-11-09, 11:40 AM
Well he never said they haven't invented anything, just that they've never done anything groundbreaking.

They are a company that is willing to take risks. They have a few million fanboys, but you can't deny that they are always pushing the envelope.

It's not like Google invented the search engine.

You are actually mildly retarded. They have taken a few risks, yes i will admit that. But the majority of their punch comes from an insanely geared marketing department.

Google didn't invent the search engine. However, they revolutionised internet business . They also pioneered human resources and talent management. They changed the way people think about using the internet. All apple does is take existing, and in some cases dated technology, and market it as their own creation. Which it rarely is. People even note that Steve Jobs takes credit where it is not deserved internally.

plAythiNG
05-11-09, 11:49 AM
sony ericssoon rachael is wot im waiting for.

pr1nce
05-11-09, 11:52 AM
Well they are a business, they're in it to make money.

No company would be in it if it wasn't profitable.

You may hate Apple, but they're doing something right if they've got billions of dollars in cash. They've made a boring computer company into a brand.

So are you gonna buy an Android phone? It doesn't do anything for me. So who are they targeting with this phone? Purely phone and tech geeks? The average person gives no fuck for open source.

van
05-11-09, 12:03 PM
Talk about the product the thread is devoted to, guys.

danielb
05-11-09, 12:14 PM
Android isn't true open source anyway so even that niche market wouldn't really care about it.

I've used a friends HTC Magic and was surprised at how nice it was to use. I was going to buy a Hero but now.. i'm not sure. The new Motorola DROID that Van mentioned in the original post has been reviewed recently, and i think this may be my next phone (until i change my mind again :lol:)

http://phandroid.com/2009/11/03/motorola-droid-review/

I don't believe the OS is targeted at phone/tech geeks. It's able to be manipulated to suit a vendors needs, as can be seen with what HTC have done with the interface on their various Android-based phones. Personally now i use a lot of google's resources, such as gmail, google talk, docs, groups, etc, and the great thing with these Android phones are that they have really deep integration with your google account thanks to the APIs provided by the OS.

As the OS seeps its way into the market share over the next 6 months with more vendors releasing phones based on the software, it'll probably be the main competitor to the iPhone (if this isn't the case already?)

The Panda
05-11-09, 12:17 PM
Well they are a business, they're in it to make money.

No company would be in it if it wasn't profitable.

You may hate Apple, but they're doing something right if they've got billions of dollars in cash. They've made a boring computer company into a brand.

So are you gonna buy an Android phone? It doesn't do anything for me. So who are they targeting with this phone? Purely phone and tech geeks? The average person gives no fuck for open source.

Cool story bro. Your initial aggression has now been subsided to defensiveness in the face of factual evidence and realistic comparison. I wasn't arguing that Apple is not an effective business, nor did i say they are not doing anything right. I said they dont do anything groundbreaking.

Given the choice between an iphone and an android. I would get the android. Why? Because Apple are shit, and part of their business plan is something i would describe as seasonal refurb turnover. There will be a new and better iPhone soon enough and all the tosser yuppies like yourself will just have to get it.

People dont give a fuck about open source? You truly are retarded. If they didn't, why would so many people jailbreak their phones.

pr1nce
05-11-09, 12:29 PM
Tosser yuppies like me will just have to get it? You don't know me at all you shit ****.

I said the average person gives no fuck about open source.

The people that don't flash their Xbox 360s, the ones that don't run M33 firmware on their PSP, the ones that buy Windows and OS X, the ones that don't know the sneaky ways. They're the ones who buy their music and apps from iTunes. That's the average person.

Rad
05-11-09, 12:37 PM
I said they dont do anything groundbreaking.

Don't need to do anything groundbreaking. Look at their products, all innovative. And don't say they're not, as every other company tries to make similar products 6 months later.

Why? Because Apple are shit

Bold statement, please elaborate.

People dont give a fuck about open source? You truly are retarded. If they didn't, why would so many people jailbreak their phones.

No, you're retarded. The iPhone OS never was intended to be an open-source platform. People jailbreak to improve the functionality of their phones, things apple won't include as standard. Not to mention it gives access to apps that never made it into the appstore for various reasons.

Ask 9/10 of the general consumer market and i bet you they will ask what open-source was, heck I bet they wouldn't even place it in their Top 10 criteria for purchasing a phone.

The Panda
05-11-09, 12:57 PM
Don't need to do anything groundbreaking. Look at their products, all innovative. And don't say they're not, as every other company tries to make similar products 6 months later.

Do people on here not read? I dont like it that they pass themselves off as groundbreaking when they are not.

Are you implying that companies copy market leaders? Wow, i never knew.

Bold statement, please elaborate.
I have already said a number of things, so im not going to bother. But i don't like the company, nor how they operate.

No, you're retarded. The iPhone OS never was intended to be an open-source platform. People jailbreak to improve the functionality of their phones, things apple won't include as standard. Not to mention it gives access to apps that never made it into the appstore for various reasons.

Aside from the fact that this is an almost entirely null point, ill address it anyway. By jailbreaking your phone, you are essentially taking one step towards OS. Whilst people may not entirely grasp the concept/idea of OS, they sure as hell like the functionality.

Ask 9/10 of the general consumer market and i bet you they will ask what open-source was, heck I bet they wouldn't even place it in their Top 10 criteria for purchasing a phone.

I bet if i asked 9/10's of the 'general consumer market' what a driveshaft was they wouldn't be able to answer that either. Or perhaps i could ask them about the advantages of a solid state hard drive over a spinning one in an mp3 player and see how they go about answering that? Bottom line, they have no fucking idea, but they still like having that shit in their car and their mp3 player. Simple explanations will turn their minds to it.

Tosser yuppies like me will just have to get it? You don't know me at all you shit ****.

I said the average person gives no fuck about open source.

Sorry gangster loving, im all out of carebears atm. But im guessing you are some apple fag, i mean you've definately come off as one.

No one cares about the theory or the concept of open source, but they like the functionality that it will provide. If Android can demonstrate that their OS platform will provide this functionality, whilst still with the advantages of freeware development.

Rad
05-11-09, 01:02 PM
I have already said a number of things, so im not going to bother. But i don't like the company, nor how they operate.

Well, that just says it all doesn't it? No point bothering to discuss it further with you.

danielb
05-11-09, 01:03 PM
Had a hard time reading that until i realised you used OS as an acronym for open source. It's generally used for Operating System :lol:

Paoooul
05-11-09, 01:25 PM
Don't turn this into a world vs mac thing.. it's not what the topic was created about and most people arguing about it on either side have bollocks of an idea what they are on about. Make another thread and whinge there and people who might know what they are talking about will probably give some input..

P.S. danielb, why do you say it isn't full open source?
I did a bit of research but don't quite understand.. have they got another license license/conflicting somethingness (i.e. 'Red hat is open source, but the trademarks are copyrighted')?

van
05-11-09, 01:42 PM
Panda and pr1nce banned for 1 day. If y'all have a disagreement, find a way to be civil about it, or save me the 0.8 seconds of personal guilt when I ban you by just fucking off somewhere else.

Move on.

danielb
05-11-09, 02:06 PM
P.S. danielb, why do you say it isn't full open source?
I did a bit of research but don't quite understand.. have they got another license license/conflicting somethingness (i.e. 'Red hat is open source, but the trademarks are copyrighted')?

As scathing mentioned previously, just things such as this which have been occuring:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/09/android-community-aims-to-replace-googles-proprietary-bits.ars

Google has angered the Android enthusiast community by sending a cease and desist notice to a third-party developer who is building a popular custom version of the open source platform. Google doesn't want its proprietary bits included in cooked ROMs.

So i'm probably just being pedantic.. It is still generally an open source platform.

Paoooul
05-11-09, 02:11 PM
Oh haha, it seems a lot of those things seems to be happening with open source these days.. Like ZFS support with Mac. Little got'cha's hidden everywhere.

JDM-20L
05-11-09, 02:17 PM
So moving on ... does anyone have a ANDROID OS Phone other than a HTC??

tiksie
05-11-09, 03:42 PM
Looked at my phone this morning (HTC Dream) and apparently there is a new update ? Cupcake update O_o 44MBS, installed it, phones running sweeeeeeet now, and everything looks way better and the video camera is awesome :D

van
05-01-10, 03:49 PM
http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/10/01/04/224259/Android-Phone-Demand-Up-250-iPhone-Down

"A 'monstrous' jump in demand for Android-equipped smartphones has turned the market upside down, according to a retail pollster. Of the people who told ChangeWave Research in a mid-December survey that they planned to buy a smartphone in the next 90 days, 21% said they expected to purchase an Android phone.

That number represented a 250% increase over the 6% that pegged Android as their mobile OS of choice when ChangeWave last queried consumers' plans in September.

'That change rivals anything that we've seen in the last three years of the smartphone market,' said Paul Carton, ChangeWave's director of research, adding that the sudden surge in consumer interest in Android had 'roiled' the market. 'This is an indication that Android has finally caught consumer interest,' added Carton, who cited the recent advertising campaign for the Motorola Droid smartphone as the reason why interest in Android has skyrocketed.

Android's leap translated into good news for Motorola and HTC, the most prominent makers of Google-powered handsets, with the former reaping most of the benefit. Motorola's share of smartphone purchases in the next 90 days shot up from 1% in September to 13% in December.

Carton tagged the company's Droid as the reason. '[It's] the first increase for Motorola we've seen in three years,' Carton said."

haikii
05-01-10, 04:44 PM
http://phandroid.com/2010/01/04/phones-tablets-and-%C2%BFappliances/

Pretty cool. soon enough we'll be controlling eveyrthign with our phones!

Was waiting for a android phone to come out! waited too long and got a 2nd hand iphone instead hahaha. i might sell up now though!

renstar
05-01-10, 05:45 PM
That's cool but does it require the same hand action people use when they unlock their Iphones (you know the swoosh that continues on about half a metre past the phone)

danielb
05-01-10, 07:11 PM
I bought an iphone couple weeks ago :lol:

vuongster
13-06-11, 01:02 AM
Thread has been dead for over a year but I just got into android and it's amazing.

In my opinion, only recently have androids become true competitors to the iphone craze. My slightly biased opinion is that the Samsung Galaxy S2 offers so much more than an iphone could especially in terms of customisation. The way I see it, iphones are and have been in the past, the best out the box solution and if you're not really into tinkering with things I would recommend them. They are also a fad that has a very good grasp on the market which leads to a huge array of apple store applications.

However, this being a forum dedicated to those who like to tinker in an attempt to get something more unique as well as functional, I would expect there to be a lot more android users on here.

Having a look around at what I'm assuming is the most popular android resource (xda), I didn't really see too much in terms of customisations and themes that were car related. I was never any good at design and my imagination is poor so perhaps members here could design and share :-o

Anyway to get the ball rolling.

My weapon of choice:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/250264_10150269631917053_678827052_9067440_6414015 _n.jpg

And my lockscreen and desktop:

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/248673_10150278793632053_678827052_9161837_8326906 _n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/253928_10150278793692053_678827052_9161839_6186499 _n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/247233_10150278793797053_678827052_9161843_549651_ n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/247008_10150278793757053_678827052_9161841_2370966 _n.jpg

Something I found on XDA that I thought was pretty cool:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-PkPJ44WOVCU/TfQ1RCWWl4I/AAAAAAAAAIw/lJn6NoOkh6c/s1152/screen6_11_11.png

The Panda
13-06-11, 04:39 AM
Yeh what up thread.

Turns out I was right

Wink
13-06-11, 05:24 AM
The pronounciation for the katakana on your home screen is wrong.
It is pronounced shi-ru-vi-a

wilch
13-06-11, 07:16 AM
Galaxy S user here running clockwork mod.

Can't justify an S2. Definitely can't justify an iPhone. :)

Mike.V?!
13-06-11, 01:43 PM
Yeh what up thread.

Turns out I was right

Congratu-fucking-lations. Your medal is arriving soon.

CaptainColen
13-06-11, 02:17 PM

Wow you turned a tounge poke into a pointed post aimed directly at insultion.

Ive had an HTC magic, which is pretty much the worst android phone you can get, for the entire life of my contract. Even today it's pretty damn good and despite the fact it's so old, they are still releasing OS updates for it! WIth the exception of live wallpaper, all the apps, games, maps and functions work relatively quickly with a battery life of about two solid days. The best part: It was on the 30$ cap over 12 months ago!
The best part about android is the options. Not only can you customise nearly everything about it, you can also choose how much you want to spend and which company builds the hardware. Everyone here loves to customise their stuff and choose/discuss the pros and cons of various products and manufacturers so it makes sense that android would be successful to people like us.

So instead of instantly bashing panda's brash posts, why not have a little think and see if you can come to grips with the possibility that you may be wrong.

Pfff like thats ever going to happen.

Mike.V?!
13-06-11, 03:12 PM

Wow, you're still here.

Mike.V?!
13-06-11, 03:13 PM
What the fuck is insultion?

The Panda
13-06-11, 05:32 PM

Thanks man. Want a mailing address, or you want to hand deliver it?

Wow, you're still here.

Bag with which one douches.

What the fuck is insultion?

Its not triple posting for no reason.

He doesn't like me. I find it relatively easy to live with.

Ive had an HTC magic, which is pretty much the worst android phone you can get, for the entire life of my contract. Even today it's pretty damn good and despite the fact it's so old, they are still releasing OS updates for it! WIth the exception of live wallpaper, all the apps, games, maps and functions work relatively quickly with a battery life of about two solid days. The best part: It was on the 30$ cap over 12 months ago!
The best part about android is the options. Not only can you customise nearly everything about it, you can also choose how much you want to spend and which company builds the hardware. Everyone here loves to customise their stuff and choose/discuss the pros and cons of various products and manufacturers so it makes sense that android would be successful to people like us.

With the exception of the HTC 7, the battery life on smartphones is not as terrible as people make it out to be. I can get two days out of my phone, dependent on usage. But for the additionally functionality, I'm willing to sacrifice it anyway.

So instead of instantly bashing panda's brash posts, why not have a little think and see if you can come to grips with the possibility that you may be wrong.

Dude this is JDMST. Where magic happens...

Mike.V?!
13-06-11, 05:55 PM
He doesn't like me. I find it relatively easy to live with.

I don't dislike you. If I've banned you before it's probably because you deserved it. I do think the majority of your posts are you posturing and letting the world know how smart you are, however. I just noticed that you quote yourself in your own sig. Awfully proud.

I missed this before. What exactly am I wrong about? Before today I hadn't even posted in this thread. I know you like to jump at the the chance to pat your buddy there on the back but please pay attention next time.

The Panda
13-06-11, 08:09 PM
I don't dislike you. If I've banned you before it's probably because you deserved it. I do think the majority of your posts are you posturing and letting the world know how smart you are, however. I just noticed that you quote yourself in your own sig. Awfully proud.

The majority of my posts? Or just what you see (Considering I have made more posts than you). I don't usually complain when I'm banned, although there have been a few instances, but not by your hand.

I made myself laugh. But I'll change it for you sweetie.

Mike.V?!
13-06-11, 08:49 PM
The majority of my posts? Or just what you see (Considering I have made more posts than you).

I'll be more careful with my words next time, lest I incur your logical wrath.

I made myself laugh. But I'll change it for you sweetie.

Do what you like. It's a free country.

JDM-20L
14-06-11, 12:03 AM
Ive had an HTC magic, which is pretty much the worst android phone you can get, f

lol

I had just about every droid phone available to the Aussie market (through common carriers this is) and the Magic was pretty much my favourite for some reason? I am currently on a HTC Google Nexus One and it has been my favourite phone to date ..... I also have the Samsung Nexus S but its just not the same.. I really can't see why they even brought the Nexus S out to tell you the truth!

CaptainColen
15-06-11, 12:15 PM
I missed this before. What exactly am I wrong about? Before today I hadn't even posted in this thread. I know you like to jump at the the chance to pat your buddy there on the back but please pay attention next time.

Well actually, only my first sentence was directed towards you. The rest was for the android thread reading community in general.
Oh and what would you prefer, me to pat a member on the back at every opportunity, or try and crush their spirit? I suppose admin lead by example so perhaps I should start making useless derogatory posts in threads I never read, just for your pathetic approval. And to answer the same question you have been asking me for the past 3 years, Yes I am still here and no I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon.

lol

I had just about every droid phone available to the Aussie market (through common carriers this is) and the Magic was pretty much my favourite for some reason? I am currently on a HTC Google Nexus One and it has been my favourite phone to date ..... I also have the Samsung Nexus S but its just not the same.. I really can't see why they even brought the Nexus S out to tell you the truth!

I was actually waiting for the nexus one to come out when I picked the magic! The magic does have an endearing quality to it which I put down to the lightweight and compactness. Usually by this stage I am finding an excuse to get rid of my phone someway or another but at this stage I am having a hard time justifying extra cash to get something newer!
That is quiet a statement considering I was just in new york looking at brand new android phones for less then $100!
Tone down the features and you get a great, fast and long lasting phone with functionality!

dave2221
15-06-11, 12:36 PM
Well this thread is almost not worth reading.

Mike, i understand your an admin, but those are not really the most constructive posts, and we seem to have a bit of a shitfight going on.

So to get back on topic, I have a HTC Desire HD, and apart from the calendar, its an awesome phone

For some reason, my Microsoft Exchange calendar was always trying to sync, which took about 8 hours of battery life PER DAY!

Since i have deleted the calendar from that account, i easily have 30% by 10am the next day, which is good enough to get me through any random night out and back to a charger the next day.

Will be picking my GF up a HTC Sensation or Galaxy S2 (she is with telstra, and currently wont get nextG on the sensation) in next few weeks.

JDM-20L
15-06-11, 12:50 PM
I was actually waiting for the nexus one to come out when I picked the magic! The magic does have an endearing quality to it which I put down to the lightweight and compactness. Usually by this stage I am finding an excuse to get rid of my phone someway or another but at this stage I am having a hard time justifying extra cash to get something newer!

I was in the same boat .. lol but I was drunk one night and broke it! Was devo.. I just couldn't justify buying another one at the time as it was quite out dated by then!

I had a few phones in between (Hero, Desire, Nexus S)

The Nexus One is like having a newer Magic really! Much faster machine, AMOLED display, Runs on latest Gingerbread 2.3 OS but loses the HTC Sense UI which IMO slows the phone down.

I actually cracked the display panel on my nexus one (not the top layer/digitizer) and ended up fixing it my self with a genuine panel for under $80. :) So glad I fixed it too!

I think if you look up a company called 'MobiCity' in QLD they must have some old stock and they do them at the moment for only $360!

CaptainColen
26-06-11, 01:10 PM
I was in the same boat .. lol but I was drunk one night and broke it! Was devo.. I just couldn't justify buying another one at the time as it was quite out dated by then!

I had a few phones in between (Hero, Desire, Nexus S)

The Nexus One is like having a newer Magic really! Much faster machine, AMOLED display, Runs on latest Gingerbread 2.3 OS but loses the HTC Sense UI which IMO slows the phone down.

After all this chat, I'm almost certain i'm just going to get the galaxy s2 on my current vodaphone(terribadphone more like it) plan or a more handset modest on a telstra plan. I forgot to mention before that, pretty much, the number 1 killer of the Magic for me was the fact it has no 3.5mm headphone jack! You have to carry around the extra foot and a bit (as if headphone cables arnt long enough) of mini usb to headphone female.

Another thing which may or may not be the phone itself is the dodgyness of the internet connection. I click a webpage, wait 5 seconds for the up arrow to go solid then it's a 50/50 chance of the down arrow going solid followed by another 50/50 chance of whether the page will actually load. Ive seen my mates phone work the internet desktop style so I am hoping the handset upgrade will resolve this, considering how much "improvement" vodaphone's network has undergone...

downy93
14-07-11, 07:38 PM
anyone got the xperia play? i was going to get an iphone mainly because i have a macbook. But i've been brainwashed by my software teacher that android is the best so im very tempted to get the play also because it has playstation games on it. so anyone had any experience with the play?

THEEYA
14-07-11, 08:01 PM
dont get sony ericsson

JDM-20L
14-07-11, 08:18 PM
No worries getting MacBook and droid to talk...

But I have also been advised not to buy the sony ericsson.. apparently not too reliable?

THEEYA
14-07-11, 08:34 PM
I didnt have any issues with my x10 in reliability, its just the product support after it was fkn shit for a "flagship" phone

lingeringsoul
28-07-11, 01:50 PM
Just bought an Xperia Arc- God DAYUM it's a pretty looking phone. I LOVE IT!!!!

TurBIce
05-02-12, 11:10 AM
REVIVE:)

Galaxy note! it is awesome!!!

wernz
05-02-12, 03:27 PM
Does anyone have any views on what the best Android phone would be for:
-Longest battery life
-faster processor/less lag...?
I'm a fan of the 'HTC' phones, but i've also been told the windows/android set up is just as good as each other?
I'm currently looking for a new phone now, as my contract is up.
Cheers!

cubic
05-02-12, 11:43 PM
IMO, SGS2 or samsung nexus which already has 4.0 (ICS). The SGS2 is due to get the update soon.

I wouldn't bother with HTC anymore. They're pushing out new phones every week and their latest offerings haven't been anything special. They used to be great but Samsung has surpassed them. Again, this is my opinion.

JDM-20L
06-02-12, 12:32 AM
Does anyone have any views on what the best Android phone would be for:
-Longest battery life
-faster processor/less lag...?
I'm a fan of the 'HTC' phones, but i've also been told the windows/android set up is just as good as each other?
I'm currently looking for a new phone now, as my contract is up.
Cheers!

Wernz,

I'm a big HTC/droid fan.

BUT

The new Galaxy Nexus is SERIOUSLY impressive, I got one on Telstra network.. just unreal.

I wasn't too impressed with the Nexus S but samsung redeemed themselves with this & 4.0

KEV248
06-02-12, 10:48 AM
has anyone upgraded a samsung galaxy s2 to the new ice cream sandwich os yet??

JDM-20L
06-02-12, 03:33 PM
Probably have a goosie gander on the XDA developers board? ^^ I'm sure there'd be a cooked rom for it to run on non nexus devices out there!

WAN94N
06-02-12, 03:49 PM
just updated my SGS2 and battery life is noticably better and phone doesnt run hot whilst leaving data running even when leaving untouched.

can i enable wifi hotspot on my phone to use data via my ipad2 WITHOUT rooting?

dave2221
06-02-12, 03:53 PM
I had a galaxy s 2 on loan for a few days.
Not a bad phone.
New phone is a HTC Sensation XE.....
Slightly different to GS2, but i MUCH prefer HTC Sense overlay on android, and should see ICS 4.0 at about same time as GS2.

IMHO, HTC beats samsung software.... BUT, the GS2 is slightly better specd..... (but traded specs for the software)

JDM-20L
06-02-12, 05:12 PM
That XE was a serious contender for me.. but I am not fan of the Sense UI (user subjective I know) and the specs were not as good as you'd hope for in the current market... and ffs it still has an S-LCD display, why no AMOLED is beyond me?

If the day comes that HTC make another google nexus, that will be a good day. :)

blackster
13-03-12, 01:26 PM
Samsung owners the official ICS (not custom rom) is almost here.

ICS upgrade for Samsung Galaxy users in the countries Korea, Poland, Hungary, with more countries to come. Beginning with Galaxy S2, then Galaxy Note, Galaxy S2 LTE, Galaxy Tab 8.9/10.1 etc. Products not getting ICS upgrade (such as Galaxy S) willl get a Gingerbread firmware upgrade.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.samsungtomorrow.com%2F2388&lp=ko_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

JDM-20L
13-03-12, 01:39 PM
Word of warning if your thinking of going to 4.0 ICS ... there is still a lot of applications that are not friendly with 4.0, I've kind of found this frustrating that some apps I've had on previous droid handsets do no function on 4.0

--drew--
14-03-12, 01:17 PM
DAM, anyone see any coverage of MWC 2012. The new HTC One X is awesome.

http://pocketnow.com/android/mwc-htc-one-x-hands-on-video

blackster
17-03-12, 12:07 AM
DAM, anyone see any coverage of MWC 2012. The new HTC One X is awesome.

http://pocketnow.com/android/mwc-htc-one-x-hands-on-video

ONE XL is better; faster core & LTE = 4G.

wernz
17-03-12, 09:36 PM
So keen on the htc one x, xl...
I'm with Vodahoax so i think they're bringing out the htc one x out next month
Just hope the quad core does'nt drain the battery life fast

SUG42_Cube
23-04-12, 01:22 AM
I work for Optus as a sales manager and the One X is the only handset we have had that sells like an iphone. everyone just wants one. i reckon they are awesome and the few tests ive run so far, including leaving a demo running on one, seems to show awesome battery life!

Lexus
23-04-12, 02:51 AM
SGNOTE any good?

Prancer
23-04-12, 11:26 AM
Damn might have to upgrade to the X once my S2 contract runs out

--drew--
23-04-12, 02:14 PM
Damn might have to upgrade to the X once my S2 contract runs out
GS III will be getting announced may 3rd so hold off if i was you.

cruzer
23-04-12, 02:25 PM
Recently bought samsung galaxy note (using now) great phone is quick very nice screen but only downside is it is quite massive. Was gonna hold out for the sIII but needed a phone asap

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

iamgibbo
24-04-12, 01:43 AM
Had a galaxy note since late december...absolutely love it. Everyone comments on how massive the thing is but its worth it for that screen

cruzer
24-04-12, 10:02 PM
Had a galaxy note since late december...absolutely love it. Everyone comments on how massive the thing is but its worth it for that screen

Yeah im heaps happy with it :D

iamgibbo
25-04-12, 10:16 PM
The fact its so thin makes it fit comfortably in my pocket. Weighs less than my old 3gs as well which is a plus

Prancer
11-05-12, 10:26 AM
guys, ive updated to ICS on my SGS2

i cant view subfolders in my outlook email

any ideas how? atm i am backing up my data and going to perform a hard reset

lol figured it out, was not pressing the folder icon

White ep
14-05-12, 10:46 PM
Iphones suck.

Sent from my HTC One X

Lexus
16-05-12, 02:29 AM
sgIII or sgNOTE?

nattto69
16-05-12, 12:48 PM
sg 3 just came out :D
I think the phones are basically the same, ios vs android, just different layout, iphone more basic but carnt change still unless jailbreak but android is cool with customizing everything.
i have a htc chacha with android, its still buggy, freezing etc. a bit, its storage still glitches with not letting me update my facebook status when i have less then 5mb free of space even though I have a few gb...

major upside to android is they arnt act like they want to be the best like apple trying act like they have the best phones, new one every year but seriously... if a new iphone comes out every year or 2, in 10 years time whats the point?

android also has classy names for their OS like icecream sandwich etc which is cool. they keen their stance, they dont look tough, more popular then iphone now if i could, SGIII all the way :)

just my oppinon.

Prancer
18-05-12, 03:57 PM
cool words bro

WAN94N
18-05-12, 07:32 PM
I want a htc one x.....just feels nicer and faster than my sgs2

Sent with my Wang =)

508akd
01-06-12, 02:29 PM
Just purchased Samsung Galaxy SIII. Anyone else got one? thoughts on it?

Havent had a chance to have a good look but seems decent. Was going to get the HTC One X, but this samsung has better battery life.

dave2221
01-06-12, 05:04 PM
Just upgraded my HTC Sensation XE to ICE yesterday...... and battery life has improved heaps.

Since i took off charge 7 hours ago i have lost 10%.... with WiFi, Bluetooth and updating all on......
So much better.

woosh
01-06-12, 05:06 PM
Just purchased Samsung Galaxy SIII. Anyone else got one? thoughts on it?

Havent had a chance to have a good look but seems decent. Was going to get the HTC One X, but this samsung has better battery life.
I'm debating either one... let us know how it handles the daily abuse!

dave2221
01-06-12, 06:43 PM
I'm debating either one... let us know how it handles the daily abuse!

Just spent 1 hour loading my mates SGS3, he is a long time apple convert.

Its not a bad phone.... i still prefer the HTC overlay (HTC Sense) over the GS3 Touch wiz.

If i had my pic (when my contract is up in 3 months) ill be going HTC one X, due to better looking design, and HTC Sense.....

White ep
02-06-12, 10:29 AM
I just havs to share this here. Lol
http://img.tapatalk.com/7bf38e9f-50e9-1f63.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X

508akd
02-06-12, 01:21 PM
Galaxy 3s is going great so far. Prefer it so much over the iphones. Have only lost 15% battery in about 24 hours so far.

Still getting used to the size of it but.

WAN94N
03-06-12, 11:02 PM
wow thats awesome. updated my s2 to 4.0 and its farkn shit slow!

plAythiNG
25-09-12, 05:23 AM
Long time apple user but s3 4g is ftw

jOhn-e
25-09-12, 09:52 AM
I decide to keep my 4G :)

cruzer
25-09-12, 08:34 PM
lovin my galaxy note upgraded it to ics a few weeks back just made it so much better!!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Chuckdumper
05-10-12, 08:26 AM
I use a Sprint Galaxy S III right now and its awesome...im actually about to leave sprint tho, which means i will have to use an iPhone for a few months and i dread it. I had a 3G and it became so boring with the simple jack UI....it was kind of silly though that the GS III comes with white Samsung earbuds (http://www.wirelessground.com/samsung-ehs-64-stereo-headset-white.html)....i mean how much do they really want to be apple and get the heards of galaxysheeples!

Ericx
05-10-12, 02:24 PM
Galaxy Nexus user here. Such a great phone with the customisable notification lights. Different to the SGS2's. Everyone keeps asking me what phone it is.