PDA

View Full Version : how to tell if a helmet is a fake?

aidannn
04-11-09, 12:58 PM
hi guys

my mate is lookin to buy a shoei helmet off a private seller. its supposed to be the xr-1100.

is there anyways to tell if its fake or not?

the seller assures that their brand new and genuine.

from what ive researched real ones will have the snell and d.o.t. stickers on the inside somewhere.

cheers

nebuchernezzer
04-11-09, 02:11 PM
If they can fake a whole helmet i'm sure they can fake two stickers as well.

p.s. never heard of fake helmets but you can get fake everything else so hey!

aidannn
04-11-09, 02:44 PM
haha yeh, wasnt sure if ppl actually made fakes but i wouldnt be suprised if they did.

i mean they make fake milk and eggs!

Rob86
04-11-09, 03:04 PM
If they are fake grab me a few fake aussie standards approval stickers off of the guy!

c0LL1n
04-11-09, 03:25 PM
hmmm hard to tell if its fake, i guess the only way to prove its real is if they show all the tags that come with the helmet when its bought brand new.

best to look at it first hand and inspect it, also beware of buying 2nd hand cause sometimes you cant tell if the helmet has been dropped...

i know of a guy that sells the AS1698 sticker for those that have purchased helmets overseas, but as long as those helmets meet the snell and d.o.t. standards dont see why you need a AS1698 sticker....

TERRA Operative
04-11-09, 03:49 PM
Are Shoei helmets serial numbered? Maybe you could contact Shoei with the number if it has one to cross reference it.

DR-JEKL
04-11-09, 04:38 PM
How much are you getting it for?

Does he have more then one? If so contact details please :D

siwanut
06-11-09, 11:59 AM
get the serial of the helmet and call up shoei for comfirmation but most helmet are real

every helmet has a production number on

jussry
25-08-11, 11:01 PM
i know of a guy that sells the AS1698 sticker for those that have purchased helmets overseas

Is there any way you could please PM me with details of how to acquire one of these stickers? :)

jaderd
26-08-11, 09:32 AM
hmmm hard to tell if its fake, i guess the only way to prove its real is if they show all the tags that come with the helmet when its bought brand new.

best to look at it first hand and inspect it, also beware of buying 2nd hand cause sometimes you cant tell if the helmet has been dropped...

i know of a guy that sells the AS1698 sticker for those that have purchased helmets overseas, but as long as those helmets meet the snell and d.o.t. standards dont see why you need a AS1698 sticker....

pretty sure you need the AS1698 sticker if you want to be covered by any TAC insurance, disbability insurance and actual bike insurance, they will do any thing to screw you out of those, with saying that ive never heard of it happening to anyone, id still rather cough up the extra bit of cash and buy one from aus distributor and know all covered......

jaayy
26-08-11, 07:01 PM

wouldnt happen to be a certain member on a certain aus streetfighter forum would it? if so... they look exactly like real ones

chindodood
26-08-11, 07:47 PM
go buy at the shop better

no such things called bargain these days