PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Chain Adjustment "You will recieve a good amount of cash :)"

s_vtec
11-11-09, 10:09 PM
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the all the noob question but this if my first bike, I need help adjusting the chain.

The situation is, Me and my friend were trying to do it today but realised that you need to take one of the links off but we don't know how to do this.

So if anyone knows how to rectify this problem it will be great and please PM me if you like to help me do it and I will pay you in cash :)

I am located in the Hills District so let me know :)

Thanks,
Hans

SfS
11-11-09, 10:15 PM
I though you could just pop one of the pins for the link out and do it like that?

kev.inc
11-11-09, 10:17 PM
What do you mean by adjusting the chain?

Are you putting on an aftermarket chain or are you adjusting the chain already on the bike?

If you are putting on a new chain just use an angle grinder to cut the excess chain off.

s_vtec
11-11-09, 10:20 PM
Sorry, I mean but tighten the chain I have already on the bike, it just needs one of the links to be removed.

kev.inc
11-11-09, 10:25 PM
You'll need someone with a chain breaker. Sorry, I don't have one. :P

s_vtec
11-11-09, 10:29 PM
Haha dammit, Looks like I have to go to a shop

scathing
11-11-09, 10:30 PM
When my mate got his bike, he did a TAFE course on bike maintenance.

I'd suggest something similar. :)

Rkds
11-11-09, 10:32 PM
probably the same as a bike, which needs a chain breaker?

rayb3na_
11-11-09, 10:34 PM
if your just tightening your chain why dont you move the backwheel further back?

s_vtec
11-11-09, 10:35 PM
Haha yeah I am pretty sure you do, so as I don't have one, this sucks lol

s_vtec
11-11-09, 10:35 PM
if your just tightening your chain why dont you move the backwheel further back?

Nah you can't go any further back

kev.inc
11-11-09, 10:53 PM
Forgot to ask. How much play do you have in the chain when you sit on the bike. If there is a lot you should really get a new chain.

s_vtec
11-11-09, 10:58 PM
Forgot to ask. How much play do you have in the chain when you sit on the bike. If there is a lot you should really get a new chain.

Yeah I was thinking just getting a new chain instead, they not much I can do now lol My friend also suggested removing the link or be safe and get a new chain.

kev.inc
11-11-09, 11:03 PM
Yeah, best to get a new chain IMO. You don't exactly want the chain to stretch more and then snap on you.

s_vtec
11-11-09, 11:38 PM
yeah true, Thanks for the advice man :)

ianmallee
11-11-09, 11:46 PM
mate you already said the wheel cant go back any further meaning the chains done for, buy a new one....i wouldve tried and be tight as well....lol

jbird
19-11-09, 04:25 PM
Angle grinder or Dremel with a metal cutting attachment can be used to take the old chain off.

A bit of a mission putting a new chain on, usually requires you to cut off 2-3 links to put on (more cutting) ... but its harder to cut because its off the bike so best do it in a vice bench (But then the chain gets dirty so leave most of it in the plastic.

If you have trouble doing it give us a yell

jbird
19-11-09, 04:25 PM
Wear safety goggles and long sleeve to stop your arm hairs getting burnt and metal flakes flying into your eyes.

s_vtec
19-11-09, 06:07 PM
Thanks jbird, I fixed my chain problem and now its my clutch problem haha :(

jbird
22-11-09, 05:15 PM
CBR250?

If it is, hit up the jdm cbr forums. Good bunch of blokes over there, its a big dysfunctional family but they have good knowledge. Not many of htem actually ride 250s anymore, as they've all upgraded but imo its probably the best bike forum

mako
10-12-09, 11:12 PM
You sure your chain is done for? There are small indicators on both sides of the swingarm. If the screw adjustment has hit the max then you need to change the chain and both sprockets (go for 54teeth in the rear for better launch).

Also note that the chain should not be tense. ie. the slack of the chain which is in the middle (near the kick stand) should not move more than 1/2 inch up and half inch down (total movement should be 1 inch). Dont adjust the chain with a rear stand or with a person sitting on bike.

If you have to replace the chain, you need a chain breaker. Breaking the chain is easy, you can use angle grinder. Putting it back on is the bitch. Make sure to measure it correctly by dry fitting and look carefully at the master link. A chain runs even-odd-even etc.. if you cut one wrong, then you are in the shitters. The kit has tool that essentialy presses a rivet like pin.

I think i did a 14T front and 54T JT sprocket and used an O ring RK chain... Sold my cibby 4 years ago so my memory aint crash hot.

I also lost the number of the mechanic that lent me the chain breaker kit..

There is information on the net on doing the pin-press without a chain breaker. I wouldnt rely on it as the chain is a crucial part of the drive train. If it comes of, it can tear your fairings or even lock the rear wheel. If you dont know, just get it done right.