PDA

View Full Version : JDMST is moving servers in 2010

Justin Fox
22-12-09, 09:43 AM
Guys this year was tough on JDMST in regards to our hosting package. We've grown a LOT over the years and the traffic we're pushing is through the roof.

The money coming in from sponsors and donations has been quite a good balance, give or take, but we've recently been notified by our host/developer that we're taking up too much traffic on their servers and we're going to have to move (or pay a lot more!).

This kind of thing freaks me out but if it's got to be done it's got to be done.

We have gone all out and instead of just sharing a server with other sites, we've gone and bought a server all to ourselves (!!!!!!!). We'll be moving JDMST over to it in the new year. We can only hope that it's going to be a smooth move (these things rarely are though).

There's a lot going on! The JDMST 2010 Calendar is almost ready for print, the JDMST book project will kick off in January. Please consider donating (http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?t=5196) as every little bit helps. Here's to 2010! :D

SUROK
22-12-09, 09:49 AM
if you need help with the server move, just ask. :) its what i do for a living.

Serial Killa
22-12-09, 01:18 PM
if you need help with the server move, just ask. :) its what i do for a living.

I can do it better than him

bionikal
22-12-09, 07:08 PM
I can do it better than him

+1

Buddah
22-12-09, 08:17 PM
Shall be donating over the new year.

Ps. Jing does it best lol

renstar
22-12-09, 09:48 PM
I can lift heavy things

Elwood
23-12-09, 01:12 AM
I can delegate

BU93YE
23-12-09, 01:22 AM
i can keep your Mrs' company while your all working ;)

failing that, i can help sit and watch you, offering no beneficial support.

brasher
23-12-09, 09:51 AM
I'm not good at anything but I can drink a lot of beer really quickly and get creepy with teenage girls if that helps.

let me know.

Mitchee
23-12-09, 10:31 AM
I just did this last night with my forums (which are 1/10th the size of JDMST), along with an upgrade to vBulletin 4.0

Was a couple of hours work as the servers were within the same data center, so the data movement was at local network speeds. However the hostname change was a bit of a nightmare as theres direct references to stuff all throughout vB.

You can 'hire' a vB tech to move your forums for US$150 if you arent confident doing it yourself. I would always attempt it myself though, its not that hard, just time consuming.

Justin Fox
23-12-09, 10:37 AM
We've done a lot of modifications though so I'm worried about losing it all if we upgraded. I will look into paying them, maybe, to upgrade once we do move.

Serial Killa
23-12-09, 10:42 AM
Put up a price so we can have a target to donate

Elwood
23-12-09, 01:12 PM

+1

Plus we can all sponsor me in terms of how long i can go without showering and all money goes to JDMST

Justin Fox
23-12-09, 02:37 PM
I'm assuming fees will be about $30-40/month for the server and I'm not sure what Rimian will charge me to back-up and move the entire forum. I'm hoping it's going to be mates rates!

Mitchee
23-12-09, 06:05 PM
Going from vB3 to vB4 you'll lose all your modifications & styles. Its a complete code rewrite. The style system is totally different. v4 only went to Gold release a few days ago.

I would at least suggest upgrading to the last 3.8 patch as anything previous is riddled with known vulnerabilities.

Oh, and take backups before you do anything. ;)

Snoop G
27-12-09, 04:28 PM
this is great to hear that JDMST is fast becoming BIGGER and better :cool: :) :cool: :)

CoffeeBoss
12-01-10, 06:31 PM
I can go grab us all some coffee. I know a place, it's on the other side of that mountain.

Great idea B. It worked for Wikipedia (http://www.iabuk.net/en/1/wikipediahitsfundraisingtarget050109.mxs)

oongie
25-01-10, 01:44 AM
If you need a HP server let me know.