PDA

View Full Version : iPhone vbulletin app

somos
17-01-10, 11:38 AM
Hey guys.

On a serious note. Is it possible to add the tapatalk server extension that will make browsing on the forum easier on both the iPhone and android and blackberry? I've got these pictures that would be easier to upload from the iPhone.

http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin

Loving what you do moderators btw! Consider this fanmail?

Aleks.B
17-01-10, 01:41 PM
I thought about suggesting this but never did :lol:
Good idea.

chukatsung
17-01-10, 04:56 PM
Do want.
Always want to browse forum on my iPhone in a quicker manner

Justin Fox
17-01-10, 07:21 PM
I'll look into it (so long as it's easy?!).

RB_LOVE
29-01-10, 11:06 AM
NS.com runs an iPhone interface now... I'm all for it, considering most of my JDMST browsing time is spent on the iPhone.

(also willing to give a hand on a monkey tasks if required)

Justin Fox
29-01-10, 11:48 AM
I browse JDMST on my iPhone via the browser? What's wrong with doing it that way guys?

haikii
29-01-10, 12:26 PM
It's just easier to browse. It'll have people logging in more often, i think its worth it to explore if its a freebie.

Justin Fox
29-01-10, 12:37 PM
It seems to be a freebie for me to install it but then people have to pay for the use of the browser?

haikii
29-01-10, 12:45 PM
Oh okay, Well why didnt you say so in the first place.

Paoooul
29-01-10, 02:07 PM
Justin, the vbulletin app just makes it a bit more iphone friendly (though JDMST does work pretty well without it), jump onto www.nissansilvia.com/forums for an example of how it works. As far as I know (I haven't done any research this is just on what I experienced), the same URL is accessed simply via Safari and it works kind of like a plugin in the background which recognises you are using Safari on your iPhone and works accordingly.

EDIT: Noticed you were talking about Tapatalk, how you have to pay for the app to view the sites like that. Not sure how NS has done it but that didn't cost me a thing.

haikii
29-01-10, 05:25 PM
Justin, the vbulletin app just makes it a bit more iphone friendly (though JDMST does work pretty well without it), jump onto www.nissansilvia.com/forums for an example of how it works. As far as I know (I haven't done any research this is just on what I experienced), the same URL is accessed simply via Safari and it works kind of like a plugin in the background which recognises you are using Safari on your iPhone and works accordingly.

EDIT: Noticed you were talking about Tapatalk, how you have to pay for the app to view the sites like that. Not sure how NS has done it but that didn't cost me a thing.

Ah yeah just gave that a try, you can browse in safari, but the format is more iphone friendly. Sorta like wiki.

Paoooul
01-02-10, 03:20 PM
Ah yeah just gave that a try, you can browse in safari, but the format is more iphone friendly. Sorta like wiki.

yeah it almost turns the website into an app if you know what i mean

Mitchee
02-02-10, 11:58 AM
You can serve the user different content & formatting depending on the browser they are using.

Each browser has a unique 'user agent' string which gets sent to the web server whenever you connect. From there the server can serve you up specific coding to suite your browser.

All NS is doing is using an addon which is native to their forum software. It sees the iPhone user-agent, and serves the page with a different CSS stylesheet, and adds some javascript to help the page format correctly for the iPhone, including stuff that helps keep formatting for rotation etc. The rest is just images and layout so it looks good on the iPhone's small screen.

Im not sure if the forum software JDMST runs on (vBulletin) has an official add on for setting a style based on the browser user-agent. If so, it wouldnt be hard to find a good basic iPhone style and have it applied when the agent is detected.

somos
28-02-10, 06:54 PM
Any update on this?

van
28-02-10, 06:58 PM
Nope. :)

somos
01-03-10, 09:52 AM
:(

Keep modding vanarchy! (both in car terms and forums)

Justin Fox
01-03-10, 10:11 AM
Christina installed this on her Golf forums. Some members like using it. I'll get her to do it for JDMST ASAP.

Justin Fox
01-03-10, 10:24 AM
OK I've just had a GOOD look through the Tapatalk software stuff and I have bad news. Sorry guys it is NOT COMPATIBLE with this version of VBulletin.

We will be looking into upgrading our VBulletin once we make the move to the new server (which we have yet to do!) so sit tight.

somos
16-03-10, 10:55 AM
Darn... for now. But future looks good. :)

Looking forward to faster loading times and less data usage.

[ fuzzy ]
05-08-10, 08:08 PM
any updates on this at all??

vtecing
05-08-10, 08:29 PM
also interested

Justin Fox
05-08-10, 09:30 PM
Nope still running old version. Sorry iPhone guys!

Buddah
05-08-10, 10:20 PM
Nope still running old version. Sorry iPhone guys!

Eh. Safari's not all that bad.

Justin Fox
09-08-10, 07:53 AM
Agreed. I'm an iPhone user myself. :)

danielb
09-08-10, 11:18 AM
Especially with the new iPhone 4's screen, i don't actually like using stuff like the tapatalk app. Prefer just browsing normally!

RobSSS
17-09-10, 01:43 PM
Especially with the new iPhone 4's screen, i don't actually like using stuff like the tapatalk app. Prefer just browsing normally!

Agreed. Just got myself an iPhone 4,

I cant see the problem with JDMST on Safari.

Smooth, Quick and wraps the text to the page.

Tapatalk is $3.99 too apparently. I don't see the advantages?

FLICK
17-09-10, 02:32 PM
Been browsing on my iPhone. Nothing wrong. Quick and easy.