PDA

View Full Version : Burgled in Stanmore

ban_die
18-01-10, 03:29 PM
Hi guys, woke up this morning to find my apartment had been burgled, while we were asleep! The door must not have been locked properly last night.....we've stopped all our cards, changed all our account ps etc....thankfully no money was taken from our accounts or the credit cards. It seemed like a very rushed job, they just took whatever was near the door as my DSLR and my gf's laptop was just sitting a few meters further in.....might have been too dark to see though...(thank god!) Happened between 2am and 8am this morning.....near the Stanmore Train station....

The culprit stole a Toshiba A100 laptop (white), Ricoh GR Digitial Camera, my wallet and my girl friend's handbag containing her wallet and a few personal items.

The laptop has no battery or power pack as the culprit did take them and it comes installed with chinese vista, it looks like this -> http://images01.olx.in/ui/3/73/22/50257122_1.jpg

The Ricoh digital camera also has no cords or charger but it has a 2GB SD card inside. Looks like http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/RicohGRD/Images/Ricoh_GRD_3q.jpg except our one has a blue ring around the lens.

My wallet was a dosh wallet, like this one except the outside is all black and the clip is black also (rare model) http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/comment/gadgetell-review-dosh-wallet/

My girlfriend's bag was a brown leather "Rabeanco", no photos unfortunately. And she had a yellow leather women's tri-fold wallet - don't know the brand but I tihnk it's Japanese, and it is still quite new!

If anyone comes across any of these items while surfing fleebay or similar, please let me know....greatly appreciate it guys!

Cheers,

Ken

Buddah
18-01-10, 06:47 PM
That's terrible news Ken. Luckily they didn't get away with too much, ie your car. I'd feel so violated though. I'll keep watch for those items. Could it have been someone you know?

ban_die
18-01-10, 10:36 PM
hey keith, good to finally meet you the other day!

yeah it feels like crap, I just want my files on my pc back...they can keep the pc for all I care!

hum...can't trust anyone these days....:P

anyone have tips on how they would / have recovered stolen goods before? call the pawn shops? cash converters????

tiksie
19-01-10, 09:35 AM
Closest one to you would be the cash converters on parra road near Norton st, check it out.

I never knew stanmore turned into such a shit hole (I used to live there & in Leichhardt & in Haberfield) and it was so nice back then.

I got a few mates that live near the station aswell, I'll give them a heads up and see if they find out anything.

ban_die
19-01-10, 11:26 AM
Closest one to you would be the cash converters on parra road near Norton st, check it out.

I never knew stanmore turned into such a shit hole (I used to live there & in Leichhardt & in Haberfield) and it was so nice back then.

I got a few mates that live near the station aswell, I'll give them a heads up and see if they find out anything.

thanks tiksie, yeah I thought stanmore was alright too....until i got burgled yesterday....I also heard my two other neighbours in the same building having their cars broken into....not the same day but a few months back....

no where is safe anymore....there are scumbags everywhere....

Lesson of the day, double check that you lock your doors and windows at night when you sleep!!!

dopey
19-01-10, 12:28 PM
That's not far from me (I am up the road in Glebe). Junkies and shitkunts galore around here man, my car got raped last year and I've had neighbours have their places broken into before. Makes me real paranoid - I always deadlock the door but I pray that nobody ever makes it inside.

ban_die
19-01-10, 12:34 PM
dopey - that sucks man, sorry to hear!

whats wrong with ppl these days eh!? anywho, decided to check out all the cash converters and pawn shops in the area during my lunch break....i really want to catch these bastards!

ban_die
19-01-10, 03:24 PM
latest update, went to a few pawn shops in Newtown and Merrickville, no luck at all....

Will try the cash converters as they seem to deal more with stolen goods from what i've read on the web....

tiksie
19-01-10, 03:28 PM
Dopey you from Glebe BRA ? Haha. do you see all the adlays ?

My cousin lives on Mitchell st, I am their regularly, never seen your car around there though ? I used to go Glebe high aswell :D

Did you try the cash converters the one I said near norton st on parra road ? That will be the closest one to your house.

dopey
19-01-10, 04:22 PM
Plenty of Adlays around but it's got nothing on Bondi Jct or Blacktown. You wouldn't see my S14 around at all any more because since it got raped I store it elsewhere (only comes out on rare occasions now)

ban_die
19-01-10, 04:31 PM
Dopey you from Glebe BRA ? Haha. do you see all the adlays ?

My cousin lives on Mitchell st, I am their regularly, never seen your car around there though ? I used to go Glebe high aswell :D

Did you try the cash converters the one I said near norton st on parra road ? That will be the closest one to your house.

Hi tiskie,

I have not tried that one, can't find their store on the cash converter main website....do you have a number or address for that place? I've called up burwood but no luck...

ban_die
19-01-10, 04:46 PM
just out of curiosity, has anyone ever had anything stolen that you've found at a pawn shop / second shop / eBay?

If so, how long between when it got stolen and spotting it??

rowboat
19-01-10, 05:04 PM
Well most of the time they do this shit for some quick cash, and the "smart" ones never pawn it off as they don't get much money from shops and require too much ID which would get them caught....

It usually goes through friends of friends unfortunately. Not to sound pessimistic or anything but cut your losses, its gone, if you've got insurance, claim it if not go buy some new stuff.

ban_die
19-01-10, 05:59 PM
hi lexism,

thanks for giving me your thoughts, i know its a pretty slim chance of ever seeing my stuff again, but like I said earlier, I'm not so worried about the actual "stuff" like my laptop or camera....its more so the files and photos that are in there that cannot be replaced........i do have backup for most files....but they are incomplete.....unfortunately....