PDA

View Full Version : Provisional P1 Rider

Will
18-01-10, 11:00 PM
Hey guys, its been 3 months since i got my Learners for bike and i was thinking about applying for my provisional riders licence but i have no idea whats in the exam.

I heard it was a 6 hour exam and its hard. I wanna book them at the same place i got my learners at granville/clyde stay up right.

can some experienced riders give me some advice on whats in the exam and what i have to look out for?

I'm planning to use my own bike in the exam but i have a custom exhaust and its pretty freaking loud, do you guys think i should change my exhaust back to my stock exhaust? LOL! :lol: :lol:

Thanks Will.

SfS
18-01-10, 11:06 PM
They have the actual course set out on the RTA website and there is an area @ Olympic park where you can practise it i'm quite sure, also depending when you got your license I think you have to hold your Ls for a year now? I may be wrong though!

P.s don't bother bout the exhaust ;)

kev.inc
18-01-10, 11:11 PM
Just practice your uturns at full lock riding the clutch and using your rear brakes at the same time. Nail those and everything else will be a breeze.

The 'exam' is actually pretty much a practice session and at the end is the actual exam.

DR-JEKL
18-01-10, 11:33 PM
Most riders on CBR250's struggle with the really tight manouvers etc due to the handlebar setup of the CBR's, not sure how you will go with the kwaka?

Exactly what honkirider said get used to keeping the revs up, riding the clutch and using your rear brake for the low speed u turns etc.

Basically you get all day to practice the exam, and by then you pretty much nail it. I'm no expert rider but I pretty much had a perfect score due to all the number of times we practiced that day...

If you check the RTA website it outlines what is required in the exam, and you can go and setup your own 'test track' by using a tape measure and empty coke bottles etc as markers.

As for the exhaust yeh dont worry about that :)

G/L no need to panic, it's actually good fun!

SfS
18-01-10, 11:35 PM
I couldn't do the test on my bike which was a Hyosung GT250r, did it on my friends zx250 ninja, the new one and i aced it so you'll be right mate ;)

doofus
19-01-10, 12:24 AM
where is this place in olympic park?

Will
19-01-10, 12:29 AM
hmmm

yoshimura exhaust pipes are pretty freaking loud LOL! and the fact the course at clyde is under a bridge, i'm kind of worried HAHA

here

yRO0TvygOzE

c0LL1n
19-01-10, 02:39 AM
LOL! dont worry about your loud exhaust, ive seen a guy rock up in a CBR250RR with no muffler which was freakin loud esp when he did the test ride around and the actual test.

If you have been riding your ninja as a daily then im certain that you would pass this test first go. Test is pretty much all low speed manouvers so been able to move/stop at low speeds is what you should be practising.

ai_04
19-01-10, 03:30 AM
where is this place in olympic park?

Check here.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=homebush&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=36.525069,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Homebush+New+South+Wales&ll=-33.840604,151.076651&spn=0.004153,0.009645&t=h&z=17

It's right in the centre where there is a fork, there are barriers there and it's only accessible by bikes (or by walking through).

Depending what time you go, you might get told off by security that roams around.

I ended up just finding a big, well lit carpark around my area. Chalked out the course and practised to my hearts content.

pr1nce
19-01-10, 09:16 AM
your location says Fairfield,

I practiced at Fairfield Showground Carpark, there are lines marked out there.

nebuchernezzer
19-01-10, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't worry about the exhaust too much, the standard exhaust on my KTM is pretty freakin loud and it also spat and coughed 2 stroke oil/smoke all over everyone else all day hahaha.
Two strokes hate to go slow....

Doing the test on a dirtbike made it a walk in the park, there was a guy on a CBR250RR who struggled (but made it) on the test and a guy on a cruiser who had no hope in hell of making the U turn (2.5m long bike!!) when I went.

brasher
19-01-10, 11:29 AM
I did my P's on my dirtbike too, was heaps of fun. I got in trouble for doing stoppies on the braking test :lol: Of 8 people that did the test I was the only one who passed aswell. It's not hard but on a bike like a CBR I reckon it would suck. A few of my mates who have road bikes have just borrowed mine for the weekend and passed it easy as pie.

Don't worry about sound, I had a Barrett Pipe on mine, basically a straight pipe off the header. Was bullshit loud and no one said anything. I did get in trouble for not having a chain guard on the bike though, something to think about.

haikii
19-01-10, 11:55 AM
Its a 5 mnute exam but a full day prep course. Similar to the L's but they just continue on they take you out and sorta prepare you mentally as a rider. Alot of hazard perception. You then sorta spend another half back at the facility where they prep you for the exam, doing drills and stuff. cone weaves, u turns, 20km dodges and stops.

I freaked the shit at my exam cause when u line up for your exam u watch the guy before u do his high speed ball dodge. and he stacked it!! he freaked out and went lowside.

About the exhaust im sure my mate went in with the same 250R with a Yoshi pipe. and he passed on the day.

brasher
19-01-10, 12:26 PM
wtf ball dodge? Didn't do that back in the day :lol:

Sounds like a Japanese Game show!

nebuchernezzer
19-01-10, 01:11 PM
Half a ball on the ground you ride at and then turn left or right.
Easy as pie, if you stack it there...well shit how do you do that!?

Oh yeah have a chain gaurd on, i made one for my bike and they do check for it. And the usual, indicators and etc. I put mirrors on my bike as well (usually i don't have a chain guard or mirrors on the dirtbike).

jbird
19-01-10, 01:38 PM
wtf high speed ball dodge?

I remember it was only at like 25km.hr or something. I dont know how you can lowside unless he grabbed some brake lol

If your doing it on a CBR hold your throttle hand higher on/more rolled forward cause once u turn hte bars full lock you won't get as much room for your wrist (it will hit the tank). Also shift your weight to the opposite of the bike. Thats my tips to you.

haikii
19-01-10, 01:48 PM
He swerved left and i think he freaked and grabbed onto the brakes.

LoL sorry high speed swerve. I just called it ball dodge to make it more interesting haha :P

oonini
19-01-10, 04:42 PM
Do we have to hold our L's for a year now? I'm about to go for my P's as well. On a cbr250 :neutral:

nebuchernezzer
19-01-10, 05:08 PM
3 months i thought, i was lazy and waited about 6ish though cos i didn't really get around to booking it.
Then P's for a year, i think only red P's for people over 25 who hold a gold lisence.

DR-JEKL
19-01-10, 06:29 PM
Do we have to hold our L's for a year now? I'm about to go for my P's as well. On a cbr250 :neutral:

If you can borrow a mates dirt bike, or ya misuss's scooter.

I done my P's on a postie. The mighty CT110 absolutely nailed the low speed tight stuff, but being 110 KG and rather lengthy I felt like a goose out on the road test though :D

Kikkoman
19-01-10, 06:32 PM
I felt like a goose out on the road test though :D

Now now, theres nothing to be ashamed about.

lol

Will
19-01-10, 07:07 PM

From the RTA Site

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettingalicence/motorcycle/learner_rider_licence.html?llid=7

You must hold the learner licence for a minimum period of three months before you can attend the pre-provisional course. Make sure you book into a pre-provisional course at least 4 to 6 weeks before your learner rider licence expires.

w810sc
19-01-10, 08:27 PM
I can't wait to get my riders license, I've already got a 93 Kawasaki Ninja ZX2R C lined up.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/motorcycle_riders_handbook.pdf
In the riders handbook it says:

Learner rider license -
minimum for 3 months, valid for 12 months,

Provisional P1 riders license -
minimum for 12 months, valid for 18 months,

Provisional P2 riders license -
minimum for 24 months, valid for 30 months,