PDA

View Full Version : Bike Tyre Thread

zawrilla
16-02-10, 07:13 PM
I thought this would be interesting. I think there is/was a similar thread for the cars here.
This will be a good reference for others when choosing what tyres to buy/what not to buy.
Please try and keep it to personal experience of using the tyre rather than what someone said. If you think it was useful advice, then maybe just state you haven't personally used the tyre.

Perhaps we can follow the format:

Tyre:
Bike:
Dry handling:
Wet handling:
Longevity:
Price:
Comments:

Comments could be regarding anything, type of usage, looks good, takes a long time to get to a good temparature/grip etc etc.
Unforunately, I can't start us off as I haven't got a bike yet..but I have a feeling it will have Dunlop Arrowmax, as most 250 sports tend to have these on them. I've only ever heard bad things about them though...

joebloyo
16-02-10, 07:39 PM
Tyre: Pirelli Sport Demons
Price: $260 last time I had them put on was a sale at budgetbikes =D
Bike: Cbr250rr
Dry handling: EXCELLENT
Wet handling: GOOD
Longevity: Have had them for over a year, still PLENTY of tread
Comments: Using these after arrowstax i could clearly see the difference in the two tyres definitely better and would recommend them, they have lasted over a whole year without major wear and my tires havent even squared off yet (weekend rider tho). The tires are constructed with metal wire in the inside so they warm up quickly and are heaps grippy, in the wet they are also very stable. Have not had a stack due to these :)

benxxx
16-02-10, 08:06 PM
Tyre: Michelin Pilot Power 2CT (120/70 - 190/50)
Price: Depends, I've paid $420 for a set, and $600 for a set
Bike: 04 CBR1000RR
Dry handling: Very Good
Wet handling: Very Good
Longevity: Depends on your riding, not long for track work, ~10000k on the road and they're pretty squared off and running low on tread
Price: see above...
Comments: Very good tire, much better than the standard BT014's, can be a little slippery with sudden power on cold tyres, once warm they are good, they tip in so nice and hold a line very well, especially when in good condition, they can be a bit hard when wearing, when turning onto the side of the tyre the transition isn't as easy or as nice as when new.

In the wet they are awesome, no problems at all, it's rather scary how good they are in the wet.

Roadster
17-02-10, 11:42 AM
Tyre: Michelin Pilot Power (120/70 - 180/55)
Price: Came with the bike
Bike: 01 CBR600F4i
Dry handling: Very Good
Wet handling: Very Good
Longevity: about 8,000km full of communting to work and weekend riding, 50 1/4 mile passes and 7 track days @ moderate speed hovering around the 2 min mark to a best of 1.53 at Ec.
Commmets: great tyre for the road. warms up fast for the track in both wet and dry conditions. tip in speeds arent as agressive as pirelli dragon supercorsa. tend to snap out of traction at the limits (for me). have crashed a few times because of this.

Tyre: pirelli Dragon supercorsa (OEM on daytona 675 and ducati 848) (120/70 - 180/55)
Price: came off another bike lol
Bike: 01 CBR600F4i
Dry handling: average
Wet handling: average.
Longevity: should be longer than PP, mate got 12,000km out of his
Commmets: Pretty aggressive tip in angles relative to PP's. can easily spin up the rear wheels on wet roads in second gear. did do consistant 1:55 laps at EC with tyre warmers before the front gave up and proceeded to lowside me and flip the bike. been out of action ever since.

SfS
02-07-10, 08:05 PM
Hmm I need some tyres for my bike at the moment, might look into those Pilot Powers.

benxxx
03-07-10, 01:26 PM
They are excellent, the new pilot pure are meant to be very good too, I will try them when my current powers are done

PA70NG
03-07-10, 10:11 PM
Good prices on Pilot Powers atm due to Pures coming in

I can only compare my new Powers to the stock Bridgestone stuff I had, and they bite so much better, just gives me a lot more confidence.

Will
04-07-10, 12:05 PM
anybody have Pirelli Sport Demons?

DrewMan
04-07-10, 04:54 PM
anybody have Pirelli Sport Demons?

me

SfS
20-07-10, 09:45 AM
Ok just rang up about Pilot powers, big negative because they've been superceeded, can't be arsed going half way across the world to try and find a pair cause I need new tyres at the moment.

So i'll be trying the new Pilot Pures, getting them installed today, see how it goes!

PA70NG
20-07-10, 10:03 AM
Blacktown Team Moto have a heap in stock for 399 fitted front and rear.

Were also available at Action Parra and MCAS Auburn when I checked last month.

SfS
20-07-10, 10:15 AM
Yeh I got a stuffed back at the moment though so the only place I can ride is Westerns which is down the road lol.

mxcrazy
20-07-10, 11:39 AM
I've got metzeler racetec tyres now, and they're pretty ace for the money....

PA70NG
20-07-10, 01:15 PM
I've got metzeler racetec tyres now, and they're pretty ace for the money....

Keen to see how many kms they hold up for

I was looking at buying the Racetec 2 or whatever but opted for Powers instead

mxcrazy
20-07-10, 01:51 PM
yeah, they're not the most durable, but they're still a pretty decent set of rubber..

SfS
20-07-10, 04:22 PM
Ok how should I be running these tyres in? I wanna make sure I can get it worn in evenly around the whole tyre side/side so I don't go lean in one day and cause its not worn in have a nice brief encounter with the road lol.

benxxx
20-07-10, 10:54 PM
Just ride carefully for the first while, i've been told to imagine riding in the rain.

I don't think it's that bad though, I've never had a problem with tyres scrubbing in, just put some k's on them and you'll be fine

SfS
20-07-10, 11:08 PM
Yeh thats what dad was telling me to do, guess i'll just have to take it easy for a while :( lol

benxxx
21-07-10, 04:09 PM
What did they end up costing you ? my house mate got them on his gixxer 1000 2 weeks ago from team moto @ blacktown

I will take it for a spin soon, keen to try the pures for sure

PA70NG
21-07-10, 04:24 PM
Ok how should I be running these tyres in? I wanna make sure I can get it worn in evenly around the whole tyre side/side so I don't go lean in one day and cause its not worn in have a nice brief encounter with the road lol.

I was quite worried too but just rode the tyres in edge to edge, but without pushing the bike too far and staying smooth if that makes any sense

SfS
21-07-10, 04:31 PM
What did they end up costing you ? my house mate got them on his gixxer 1000 2 weeks ago from team moto @ blacktown

I will take it for a spin soon, keen to try the pures for sure

$550 fitted @ westerns in Penrith.

And I guess i'll just have to ride it a bit to wear them in, I live in Glenmore Park so it shouldn't be that hard lol.