PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for Admins

ggutnik
19-02-10, 08:13 PM
Hi Friends!

Here's a question directed at the admins, but feel free to add if you feel you need to. Just a little niggling bug that i find quite annoying, and not for any real reason, but it just seems to kill a part of the forum vibe for me sometimes.

Is there any way to ask people not to flood For Sale threads with nothing more than "hi gl", "gl", or the ever popular "wish i had xx $"

Yes, we all want everyone to sell their goods, and keep the community going, but it is becoming increasingly clear that new members especially, are reaching their post count with these junk posts. It makes reading threads a painful scroll. Understood if it was, say, a part for sale - and someone adds - "this is of quality xxx and performs blah and blah etc", but pages of "gl" "gl" "gl" are not so fun or insightful. Especially when it is clear that the commentators have no relation to the OP.

Not even sure if this can be moderated or whatever, but some feedback nonetheless.

Thanks for lending me an ear on this one!

G

van
19-02-10, 08:56 PM
We can make it a rule, but the majority of the rules a) aren't even read, and b) aren't followed when they are read.

Beyond that, I guess we could look at putting on a moderator whose sole and only job it is to moderate the classifieds, but who the shit wants that job on a volunteer basis?

Something to think about though, for sure.

Sicarius123
19-02-10, 10:46 PM
If anyones worried about false post counts plenty of forums have for sale and off topic not count toward your post count, although who really cares anyway? I don't even know how to see someones post count on this forum haha.

ggutnik
19-02-10, 10:54 PM
Oh it wasn't about the post counts, that was just a motive that i was suggesting.

Frankly, if there is a part or otherwise that i'd like for myself, i don't see why i'd mind who's putting it where and when.

It's the strings of stupid posts that i dont understand - why they would see a reason to add them in the first place. With all the L platers that seem to be joining, i'd suggest an example set to follow from a time soon and onwards, so that this doesn't turn into the dungeon of "Good Luck" - this is all i think about when i see those posts:

http://www.all-pop.com/gifts_images/GF0006_tradluckycat.jpg

DreadAngel
19-02-10, 11:02 PM
We can make it a rule, but the majority of the rules a) aren't even read, and b) aren't followed when they are read.

Beyond that, I guess we could look at putting on a moderator whose sole and only job it is to moderate the classifieds, but who the shit wants that job on a volunteer basis?

Something to think about though, for sure.

I'll volunteer for the job

Its damn annoying when my own sale threads get spammed with a load of "nice car, gl with the sale" from some newcomer that only joined the forum a few days ago...

Want to know who I'm talking about? This Guy For Example (http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/member.php?u=8484)

Sorry for singling this guy out but he's the latest one doing the rounds... Some of the others have already been taken down by admins/moderators through the banhammer...

Shiri
19-02-10, 11:47 PM
It's always been a pet peeve of mine too but I think there's some ambiguity in it when it comes to popular forum members rides who sell. I don't think we want to be seen as having double standards and I'm all for a little bit of encourgment on the sale.

For one, thanks for pointing it out, I know that we already remove some posts that you may never seen, but I'll try to monitor it as best I can as well and stamp out excessive 'gl' posts. A black and white rule is something to be discussed like van said.

Justin Fox
20-02-10, 12:04 PM
There are a fair few people who only want to use JDMST to sell their goods. That's something we'll look into.

MR2
25-05-10, 08:59 PM
Any chance of upgrading the forum code to one that auto resizes images larger than 640x480...but allows you to click on the image to view it full size should you be keen for some detail?

the same for sigs would be cool...disable uploading of sigs might help keep the sig image load down?

dannyc
25-05-10, 09:38 PM
There's an option under User CP - Options to disable avatars and sigs.
As for re-sizing of images, i think it would be very annoying, having to click every single image to get some good resolution. Most of the users are sensible with picture sizes anyway..

striken2o
25-05-10, 10:41 PM
on a similar note, i can't stand people who post shit up that obviously won't sell like furniture and useless junk and then continuously bump

i'd gladly volunteer to monitor the sale sections

dkae
25-05-10, 11:26 PM
on a similar note, i can't stand people who post shit up that obviously won't sell like furniture and useless junk and then continuously bump

well, Miscellaneous section is there for a reason. you never know some people might actually might happen to need, furniture. And one mans trash might be gold to someone else.

Also i dont think it, gl etc to be an objection. most people seem to be sensible. Yes some sales are over loaded with gl's but it can be up to the seller to stand up and say "no more useless post guys, thanks".

Although following Justin's point, of people souly just using JDMST as a free "carsales", isnt there a limit on 50 genuine post before you can sell stuff.

i see it can be hard for you guys to keep up with, all the classifieds, but JDMST members if you see a "new member" selling stuff. have a check of there post etc, and if they have just joined to sell crap. shoot a pm to one of the admins ?

ggutnik
26-05-10, 12:36 AM

I have a funny feeling the "used socks for sale" had some influence here ahahah

striken2o
26-05-10, 01:14 AM
im on another forum and they dealt with spammers quite effectively

any posts made in the sale section or any off topic sub sections didn't count towards your post count

the sale section couldn't be posted till after 3 months of your initial join date

this weeded out any people who simply want to hock their junk on the forum

Justin Fox
26-05-10, 02:44 PM
Guys if you see someone clearly spamming/breaking the rules simply report them and management will do the rest :)