PDA

View Full Version : Tyres for Jazz

vtec-NA.th
12-04-07, 04:43 PM
Hey all,

I'll be picking my Black Jazz up from the dealer and going straight to JDMyard to get some white buddyclub sf's and whatever else they have in stock that i can afford.

Just wondering when I do get my rims, what tyres do you guys recommend? I have no knowledge or experience with anything atm so please share! :)

My friend's have recommended Toyo Proxes and Yokohama Advans.

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Nath

hebe
12-04-07, 04:46 PM
Justin is using the stock tyres with his BC's and he said they're pretty good so if you want to save yourself a bit of money then just get those!!

Proxes T1R are alright...or if you can afford it then go advan AD07/A048 if they come in the size you want!

monkeymajik
12-04-07, 06:43 PM
Bridgestone Potenza GIII

Awesome bang for buck tyre IMHO.

lovesil
12-04-07, 06:49 PM
AD07 is naturally the best road tyres you can get. But good luck in getting a set as its not available through Yokohama Aust. Even if you can import one, its dead expensive and its illegal for your Jazz.

arron
13-04-07, 03:29 AM
I'd say the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R is even a better street tyre, but again, its an import and will be illegal to use... pity...

If you're after Bank for Buck = Potenza GIII

You have money and won't mind spending a little more on tyres = Potenza RE070

yes.. i do like my bridgestones, mainly coz my local tyre place is a bridgestone dealer

hebe
13-04-07, 10:02 AM
RE070 doesn't come in 15's

ClioF1
13-04-07, 11:34 AM
Bridgestone or Michelin FTW :)

GIIIs are very good for the price, plenty of grip right to the indicators.

The new Pilot Preceda II is a great tyre for wet or dry, as fitted to the new MX5 from the factory.

Goodyear are great for wet weather performance, I would only use Toyo if its all I could afford at the time.

McCoey
13-04-07, 12:01 PM
Another vote for the T1-R's also the ageing Goodyear F1 Eagle GSD 3's

4agte
13-04-07, 12:13 PM
gIII's are horrible the proxies are better

StanTheMan
13-04-07, 01:36 PM
Just because a tyre design is ageing doesn't mean its bad.
they talked me into the Yokohama A drive. To me is an extreemly odenary tyre compared to the Bridgestone that was on the Honda when we bought it New.
T
Same with the Azenis RT615s. Different tyre. Supposed to be better in a lot of ways than its predecessor RT215. I'm not convinced. Its not any worse. But in no way is it better.

hebe
13-04-07, 01:37 PM
I would rate the T1Rs better then the GSD3's...I had both and honestly I preferred the T1R over the Eagles anyday.

McCoey
13-04-07, 01:52 PM
I found the T1-R's were fantastic almost straight away, at least after the first 200-300kms anyway after getting rid of that greasy crap small dimple things (I have no idea what the techy term is) on the tyres, whereas I found the F1 Eagles increased in grip as the tyres got older.

They seemed to reach maximum grip after about 10,000kms, and for the first few thousand km's I found them a little bit dissapointing, especially in the wet. I cant explain why or how, but thats how it felt. The plus side on the F1's was they lasted for over 40,000kms without dropping in grip, and that had me pretty chuffed.

vtec-NA.th
13-04-07, 09:44 PM
I was gonna just get Toyo P1's or whatever they called for 16" buddyclub sf's.

I've decided to buy the Buddyclub QF's in 15" so I can use my stock tyres.. i'll be goin straight from the dealer to padstow to get teh rims! :D~

But for future reference if iwantbigger rims to rice my jazz up. you guys heaps of help! :)

Wish me luck! Hope they look good..

Justin Fox
13-04-07, 10:01 PM
I just bought the QF's and I'm very happy with them so good choice!!! QF's, CE28's or TE37's are the best wheel for your car. So light, perfect for that very underpowered engine. Using the stock tyres will save you some cash too. I've always been a fan of Potenzas.

When these tyres wear out I'd probably get Toyo R888's. I'm a fan of them on street and track. They warm up fast and last a long time (did 15,000kms in the MX-5 then again the MX-5 was a light car but so is the Jazz).

Not a fan of the Goodyears (had them on the Alfa and they were not as stiff as the Potenzas the Alfa came with) and not a fan of the T1-R too. Great in wet weather apparently but the tread is very deep and fragile, almost destroyed the tyre in one single track day.

Hens
13-04-07, 10:38 PM
ive just went from kumho r compound as dailys to kumho spt and not disapointed at all.
rain or shine it stays on the road and hasent slipped on my even when carrying a decent amount of speed through some benchmark windy corners near my house.

vote kumho SPT ku31

Roadster
14-04-07, 10:09 AM
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 > Toyo T1-R >= Bridgestone GIII

GIII's grip last longer than T1-R, but T1-R has more grip at the start of its life... but GS-D3 just owns them all for wet weather driving!

EGG80X
14-04-07, 12:09 PM
funny that some ppl complaint about f1 gsd3 because there are two different compounds....
the softer compound is made in Germany hence the better grip and higher price
and the harder compound is made in Thailand hence the grip is not as good

I had tried both compounds before and the german made ones are excellent

IcemaN
14-04-07, 12:28 PM
i can only comment on the toyo t1r's. i am blown away by their wet weather performance! but their dry performance leaves alot to be desired. its still a huge step up from my old falkens even though i went from 205's to 195's.

McCoey
14-04-07, 02:15 PM
funny that some ppl complaint about f1 gsd3 because there are two different compounds....

Glad you made mention of that, I felt like tard after suggesting the F1's and being shutdown by everyone.:oops: Personally, I found them to be much better than the OEM bridgestones in every area, plus I had the german boots, not the Thailand goodies.

Also, tyres may 'suit' one style of car because of varying factors ie FWD, RWD,AWD, kerb weight and weight distribution etc... So when person A says "Yeah brand X tyres was shidot! on my car!" but person B says "Those tyres are shite, I prefrerred brand Y to X on my car" it becomes difficult to work out whats better for what car.

Just like those comparo's in MOTOR mag with the giant tyre issue. I take them with a grain of salt, what works for a commodore/falcon doesnt automatically mean its going to work for a teggie type R.
Hell! Motor/Wheels cant even get the info right on their tests! Last year they tested the Federal RS 595 but priced up the SS 595 and there was about $150 bucks a corner in difference. I rang up up Federal and tried to purchase the RS semis at the SS price, and was told the magazine got it wrong, :rolleyes: next month there was a retraction. Knobheads.

Hens
14-04-07, 05:09 PM
alot of potential customers got stung on that federal pricing fuckup
haha

theres alot of mixed feedback about the gsd3 thai and german tyres.
some say they are the same shit.
some say the thailand ones are shit.

Roadster explains why the T1R can be better than the G3.

Roadster
14-04-07, 05:55 PM
alot of potential customers got stung on that federal pricing fuckup
haha

theres alot of mixed feedback about the gsd3 thai and german tyres.
some say they are the same shit.
some say the thailand ones are shit.

Roadster explains why the T1R can be better than the G3.

well, the GS-D3's i was refering to were made in thailand! lol

kev, it think your thinking of the GS-D2, which are the harder compound and now superceeded tyre.

the compound for the T1-R is just softer than the G3's.... within 100km old, the T1R's on the front of my car was abused, i was attempting the choku dori @ 100km/h on a old air strip... and it wasn't good for the tyres. half way through it's life, the grip levels on the t1r have gone bad, whilst the G3's are still going strong.

VTECMACHINE
14-04-07, 06:05 PM
Bridgestone Potenza GIII

Awesome bang for buck tyre IMHO.

IMO GIII's are getting a little old now, and I believe they are discontinued or something like that?

I'm using Toyo T1R's, and they are a great street tire. Grippy, and quiet... but don't take a corner hard with them, or you will die! Yokohama C-drives aren't a half bad tire aswell. TheY squeel more than a baby in A microwave tho when thrown into a corner. But have awsome sidewall, unlike the T1R.

black200
14-04-07, 06:15 PM
t1r or pilot preceda 2

...but for a daily driver jazz all you need is something that will stop in the wet and isn't nankang

Hens
14-04-07, 07:32 PM
t1r or pilot preceda 2

...but for a daily driver jazz all you need is something that will stop in the wet and isn't nankang

pp2 chops a tl1 hands down big time.
dont let the pp2's tame design fool ya.

nankang is imho better than alot of the newer yumcha tyres on the market.

i had the choice of nankang ns2 with my new rims or for extra $50 kumho SPT ku31.
i took the later. :)
i knew if i was gonna be tightarse id regret it the first corner i setup.

Dave R
14-04-07, 08:00 PM
Just use the tyres that came with ur car if they fit ur new rims... im sure the tyres it comes with are good enough for ur purpose (daily driving)

aslong as there not nankangs,Falkens or simalar

S14
14-04-07, 08:38 PM

If the German made GS D3's are a better compound tyre than the Thailand made ones ill definately buy the German made ones next time. I just bought Thailand made GS D3's and they have awesome grip through the corners. The only thing i dont like about them is the soft sidewalls, there isnt much driver feedback through the tyres. (ive only had them on for 1000kms)

G111's IMO arent as bang for your buck as they were a couple years back. When i was looking for g111's in 225/45/17's, $300 was the best price i could find...
Maybe i wasnt looking hard enough.

eg5
15-04-07, 12:42 AM
Try Yokohama S drive.
www.jtuned.com just recently rate them.
We just tried them on today on Mugen steve EF civic ( kawasaki )

monkeymajik
15-04-07, 12:42 AM
Regarding the GIII's. I think the pricing doesnt scale well with size. In the smaller sizes they are better value.

I paid $130 for them in 195/50/15 about 6-12months ago and struggled to tell the difference between them and $220 Falken RT-615's

ClioF1
15-04-07, 02:42 AM
I'm using Toyo T1R's, and they are a great street tire. Grippy, and quiet... but don't take a corner hard with them, or you will die! Yokohama C-drives aren't a half bad tire aswell. TheY squeel more than a baby in A microwave tho when thrown into a corner. But have awsome sidewall, unlike the T1R.

See it all depends on what you're after, I hate T1Rs for this reason above because I'm a cornering junky but if you don't drive like that they might be fine.

GIIIs are pretty old now and the compound is ancient, but for longevity and consistency, and level of feedback you can't beat them for the price unless you're after larger sizes as mentioned.

vtec-NA.th
15-04-07, 09:36 AM
i picked up my Jazz yesterday morning!!

i had absolutely no time to go to padstow to pick up the rims though as I had a martial arts performance that started a little too early and finished a little too late!

but i'm definitely going monday to get the rims! hope yonas doesnt sell them before then :(

S14
15-04-07, 10:59 AM
Dont worry if they get sold Tempe tyres is just down the road. ;)

lol

Buddy
15-04-07, 11:10 AM
Regarding the GIII's. I think the pricing doesnt scale well with size. In the smaller sizes they are better value.

I paid $130 for them in 195/50/15 about 6-12months ago and struggled to tell the difference between them and $220 Falken RT-615's

I rate G3's really likes them.. before that i had firenza or something cant remember and they were awesome down til the last bit of tread..
G3's seemed to have a little bit more sidewall flex and previous tyres but still awesome for the money.. i paid 130$$ roughly

felixR
15-04-07, 01:32 PM
but i'm definitely going monday to get the rims! hope yonas doesnt sell them before then :(
give him a call or send him an email so he can hold them for you! :)

Roadster
15-04-07, 02:02 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/CandD_gy_f1_gs_d3/CandD_gy_f1_gs_ds.pdf

car and driver mag review of tyres from 2005....

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD Extreme Performance Summer P225/45R17
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Max Performance Summer P225/45R17
Continental ContiSportContact 2 Max Performance Summer P225/45R17
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx Max Performance Summer P225/45R17
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 Max Performance Summer P225/45R17
KUMHO ECSTA MX Extreme Performance Summer P225/45R17
Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 P225/45R17
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Max Performance Summer P225/45R17
Pirelli P Zero Rosso Asimmetrico Max Performance Summer P225/45R17
Toyo Proxes T1R P225/45R17
Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07 Extreme Performance Summer P225/45R17