PDA

View Full Version : [vid] Tokyo story: The Shibuya Gal-sa

Babalouie
22-04-07, 12:30 AM
Ahh, Japan....land of contrasts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5v8V98N_n0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujU7pre3tcg

Words...cannot...describe....you just have to watch it.

Neilus
22-04-07, 02:19 AM
Whatever moves your furniture I guess...

Omawari_San
22-04-07, 04:55 AM
Lots of stupid things invented in japan by lots of stupid people......

Luc
22-04-07, 11:15 AM
weird

kula
22-04-07, 12:19 PM
a lot less Gal's this year than there was last year, i think the trend is dying out..

akihabara guys dressed as girls ftw.

Luc
22-04-07, 04:01 PM
you would hope so.

its awful

Babalouie
22-04-07, 04:59 PM
a lot less Gal's this year than there was last year, i think the trend is dying out..

akihabara guys dressed as girls ftw.

Here's the other side of the coin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ76Ck55gdY

National Man-Ho contest :D

Luc
22-04-07, 05:36 PM
i must confess if these are the "extremities" of Japanese culture, I think that they are somewhat tame compared to say, the mass murdering excesses of western culture.

Although we seem to be a little bit less sexually depraved / crazy as they are -

They don't seem to have massive social problems with illicit substances, child abuse, breakdown of family.

On the whole I would be more tolerable of the whole "Gals" "Me-2" and male Host club thing than the whole single mother on the dole complex that our society has.

I guess it's difficult to analyze a place that I've never really visited.

But compared to all the other places in the world that i've been to, I've found that the peripheries of western culture are just as ugly as those peripheries found in 3rd world nations.

Sex debauchery and etc seems to have no specific limitations.

But a more homogenized and unified culture seems to be something I'd prefer over this multi-cultural crap they try and feed us.

Being a nation of immigrants has made it difficult for ourselves to have our own authentic sense of identity. Maybe Japan has a more specific identity. But to relate it back to these "fringe" groups ~ are they negative to others? Our social groups appear to be yes, Japanese.. from what I can see, relatively no!

The problem is that I like having a variety of cultures in this country. I just wish there was a way to block the negative influences that come with the positives.

And this is just an example, but the whole Woglife / Asian gangster / White supremacy kind of philology's that exist amongst certain people.

chuingbeans
22-04-07, 05:52 PM
I think its just in Japan people tend to not get involved or care about subcultures they are not apart of. They also seem more understanding and respectful towards other subcultures and cultures around them. As the host said a few times, as long as the subculture/culture doesn't hurt anyone its ok.

The Japs also are more open you could say with things then most western cultures.

There doesn't seem to be a sortage of part time, casual jobs in Japan, so I guess that could explain why school drops and such wouldn't need to rely on a dole system (if Japan even has one). Australia's lay back approach may also account for some of this, with people choosing to live off the dole rather then go out and get a job.

I guess it really comes down to tolerance, culture and tradition. There are many things that western culture could learn from Asian cultures in a positive sense, and there are many things Asian culture can learn from Western culture.

Babalouie
22-04-07, 06:05 PM
i must confess if these are the "extremities" of Japanese culture, I think that they are somewhat tame compared to say, the mass murdering excesses of western culture.

Although we seem to be a little bit less sexually depraved / crazy as they are -

They don't seem to have massive social problems with illicit substances, child abuse, breakdown of family.

On the whole I would be more tolerable of the whole "Gals" "Me-2" and male Host club thing than the whole single mother on the dole complex that our society has.

I guess it's difficult to analyze a place that I've never really visited.

But compared to all the other places in the world that i've been to, I've found that the peripheries of western culture are just as ugly as those peripheries found in 3rd world nations.

Sex debauchery and etc seems to have no specific limitations.

But a more homogenized and unified culture seems to be something I'd prefer over this multi-cultural crap they try and feed us.

Being a nation of immigrants has made it difficult for ourselves to have our own authentic sense of identity. Maybe Japan has a more specific identity. But to relate it back to these "fringe" groups ~ are they negative to others? Our social groups appear to be yes, Japanese.. from what I can see, relatively no!

The problem is that I like having a variety of cultures in this country. I just wish there was a way to block the negative influences that come with the positives.

And this is just an example, but the whole Woglife / Asian gangster / White supremacy kind of philology's that exist amongst certain people.

Here's another snapshot of japanese life (it's a little overdramatised but you get the idea). Bosozoku bikers and drifting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84fzogNFf10

You still see bozo biker gangs in Japan, but rather like their small-capacity mufflerless bikes, they are seen as mainly annoying and harmless. As Sadokun said, the Japanese are quite tolerant of fringe groups, and when say a bunch of loud, obnoxious VIP cars rumble past with booming stereos, you will find that no one shakes their head in annoyance or anything. And when say a bunch of Harajuku girls in full-goth/emo/cosplay gear get onto a crowded train, nobody stares.

I haven't really decided for myself if this is because they are genuinely more tolerant, or if they are actually intolerant and just are too polite to show their true feelings.

But I wouldn't necessarily be so envious of japanese culture, the reason for these funky groups, as the host of the Gal-sa show said, was that young ppl feel repressed by traditional culture and need an outlet. But like they also said inthat show, well they're not hurting anyone so what's the problem.

If you look at the suicide rates, Japan is really up there, so it's not necessarily a utopia...
http://www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/suicide/suiciderates/en/

Luc
22-04-07, 09:55 PM
I never suggested that it's a utopia. But sometimes over-expression and so forth really kinda gives people the wrong kind of freedoms.

Best example I can think of that relates to me is modifying cars.
we love our cars, we modify them for ourselves, they look (generally) good.
The people that are on this forum probably don't constitute the type of people to go out there do some SERIOUS burnouts and anti-social behaviour.
Yet because we have similar interests we get put into the same category.

I'm not really "envious" of Japanese culture, I think overall like any culture it has its strong points and certainly has its weaknesses. What Japanese culture has more of than us is more social structure, and organization. When there is structure it is very stifling and regulated, but if you get too much freedom you're going to have a bit of anarchy. Yeah sure these people need an outlet, The Bosozoku's and the Bippu crews are good examples of people expressing themselves in non harmless ways.

And maybe you can tell me more because you have been there, but what about illicit drug use. I know that Alcohol is a big part of their culture, but do they revere it like a lot of "red blooded aussie blokes" do.

Pachinko / Poker machines are a good analogy too.

Maybe the reason why suicide is up there is because they aren't really quite sure how to deal with a population that is not wanting to be regressive and traditional. They've got all forms of western development but an ancient belief structure.

Like what was touched on previously with "asian values" i guess with over 50% of the worlds population being from Asia, there has to be something said about people being tolerant of others, just because of the sheer population density. You will probably find that this is somewhat the case in Indonesia too, that people are relatively tolerant, although there is more of a fringe extremist element. but that's another entire issue.

But I guess from where I have been previously, considering that the USA has the racial tensions, Australia seems to be a relatively peaceful melting pot, the UK at times has had tensions, Japan on the whole seems to be quite tranquil and pacifistic.

Indonesia on the other hand is too complicated to describe in any form. It just depends on where you go. From the rest of my travels, I havn't spent any form of time that's really enough to have some form of critique.

What I can say about Americans though, and this is not specifically targetting them, is that the way that they treat their minorities is somewhat similar to what we do here in Australia. Low paid average jobs with little respect. But you will find that there's a 1 generational gap where the kids who were born in the new land seem to assimilate and be more succesful.

Babalouie
22-04-07, 10:30 PM
And maybe you can tell me more because you have been there, but what about illicit drug use. I know that Alcohol is a big part of their culture, but do they revere it like a lot of "red blooded aussie blokes" do.

Pachinko / Poker machines are a good analogy too.

Maybe the reason why suicide is up there is because they aren't really quite sure how to deal with a population that is not wanting to be regressive and traditional. They've got all forms of western development but an ancient belief structure.

Well....you know IMHO the whole repressed cliche about Japan is true.

In my office in Japan, it's so quiet that you can actually hear the fan on the photocopier 10m away. No one gets up to talk, etc. And everyone gets up to go to lunch at the same time (which shits me really, since everywhere you go during lunch there are massive lines).

At my previous employer, the desks were arranged in a very old-school japanese way. Which is to say that each team has a long bench, like a 10m long dinner table. The dept manager sits at the "head" of the table, and everyone is separated by shoulder-height partitions. So if you surf the internet outside of lunch, your boss sees it. The Dept director will be in an office behind the whole long table, so it's all very compartmentalised, with the most junior guys at the far end of the table from the manager. You are left in no doubt about where you stand.

But maybe the best experience I can share with you about what their society is like, is a story about a guy I used to work with in my old job (which also required me to travel to Japan). I had an appointment with him and he said the day before that he'd be a little late cos he had a doctors appointment. No wuckas I said, it's no big drama. Anyway he wanders in late and we get on with what we had to do. Just for social chat, I asked how he went at his doctor, and 100% deadpan, he said: "Oh, my doctor told me I have cancer."

I was like....WTF :shock: Your doctor just told you that you have cancer and....YOU CAME RIGHT BACK INTO WORK??!! And he was like "oh, well, of course. I said I would."

So take it from me, the Japanese concept of "repression" is like our western repression...but on crack.

I'd be curious to see what Asti-ZR thinks since he just worked there for 2wks, but personally, I find it so stifling. Stifling in invisible ways, that at the end of the day, the thing I want to do most is jump in a car, rev it up, drop the clutch and let all my aggression out in the form of smoke and drifting. I can 100% understand why they throw themselves into these weird, non conformist hobbies (if I lived in Japan I would be one of them...). I reckon you need it to stay balanced. Mind you, I love Japan and love going there to visit and I find the culture so fascinating...I would however have issues if I had to work there long-term, I don't think I could handle that.

As for racial tolerance, Japan actually has an awful record. The Japanese ppl as we know it today are really based on Chinese/Mongol immigrants many centuries ago. There is actually an aboriginal race of Japanese. They look more hairy, and more "western" I guess, with more square-set features. However, they have more or less been wiped out, and to be taunted as being too hairy is actually quite an insult in Japan, since it infers that you come from this inferior race. But shit, before you judge them harshly for this remember that we have done exactly the same thing with our own aboriginal race...

As for the drugs and alcohol...well I really can't comment on the drugs since I haven't really seen that aspect of their society for myself. But I do suspect that the drinking thing is more out of habit and peer pressure than anything else. As in "we all go drinking on Fridays to get shitfaced so it's unthinkable to say no". But I do think the drinking is a bit of a pressure-relief tho. That's when the guard drops 100% and you can be abusive to your boss, tell him he's a complete asshole, etc (I've seen some serious outpourings when work-ppl get drunk!). But it seems that what goes on tour stays on tour and so your boss will still bundle you in the back of a cab at the end of the night when you've passed out and smell of vomit and on Monday it's business as usual.

Like I said...fascinating culture.

tiksie
30-05-11, 08:08 AM
I can't find any info about this anywhere, where can I buy it from ? (Or even download if it will be too hard to find in Sydney).

Gil
30-05-11, 02:00 PM
Link is no longer working :(