PDA

View Full Version : JDMST - SCOTY

Tonba
03-08-10, 10:47 AM
Hey All,

Just a thought, but what do you guys think of doing an autosalon style 'SCOTY' event? (Street car of the year..)

Winner becomes a feature car? Or something of that nature?

Just a thought.. :)

Im going to list everyones Ideas, events, locations, people volunteering and potential cars below for everyone to comment on..

JDMST Car of 2010!

Event Writers

Rallye

Photographers

Film Makers (Or anyone involved with putting together a movie of some description)

Events

Dyno Competition
Trackday
Drag Night
Show (At JDMST EOMM - Voted by members)
Fuel Consumption Test
Braking Test

Potential Locations

Trackday - Wakefield Park, Eastern Creek
Dyno Day - IS Motor Racing
Drag Night - Eastern Creek

Potential Cars

?? Voted By Members?? Selected by people that already have thier car featured?

mattymc
03-08-10, 11:41 AM
Sounds like a pretty good idea.

Rkds
03-08-10, 11:46 AM
A monthly or season feature thread or car would be cool.
Would be cool to post it on the front page blog.
I'm down for doing the write up. But I think we already have a feature writer and I'm sure he will post here. Can't remember who it is though.

Justin Fox
03-08-10, 12:33 PM
I like the idea! Maybe monthly though... JDMST needs more writers please! HANDS UP!

Run-It-Hard
03-08-10, 12:35 PM
Sounds like a great idea!

Tonba
03-08-10, 12:40 PM
SCOTM

Street car of the month?? :)

Do a bunch of events and whoever comes out on top gets a feature? Similar to what autosalon used to do..?

Buddah
03-08-10, 01:17 PM
SCOTM

Street car of the month?? :)

Do a bunch of events and whoever comes out on top gets a feature? Similar to what autosalon used to do..?

All events taking place on the street to abide by the street car theme name yes :lol:

Otherwise you might as well make it track car of the month.

Tonba
03-08-10, 01:51 PM
Well, you gotta throw a trackday and a drag day in there too.. :P

HKS200
03-08-10, 03:03 PM
I like the idea! Maybe monthly though... JDMST needs more writers please! HANDS UP!

Yes! I couldn't agree more

and great idea tonba

pbk1776
03-08-10, 03:44 PM
yeh great idea - since that Justin said that the next EOMM will be huge why not start this month aye?

m0nty
03-08-10, 03:50 PM
I like the idea. Does it have to be a street car though? There are plenty of pretty awesome unregistered cars rolling on JDMST too. And for the record I'm not talking about my car. I wanna see more of these "tow to track" drift cars lurking.

Tonba
04-08-10, 11:07 AM
^ Not a bad idea.. but how are you going to rate track cars?

J
04-08-10, 12:29 PM
Off design, construction, set up and ingenuity?

m0nty
04-08-10, 12:36 PM
^ Not a bad idea.. but how are you going to rate track cars?

How are you going to rate street cars? Isn't it all subjective. I'd be happy to just see more members cars featured in shoots and features. No need for this to be about competition.

Tonba
04-08-10, 12:47 PM
^ Its just for fun.. its not a serious competition..

Braking distance, fuel ecconomy, circuit time and drag time.. stuff like that..? Its all for fun anyways..

devilution
04-08-10, 01:22 PM
use to love reading the asm's street car of the year
i'd be so in for this! nothing rong with a healty little competition,
its good that owners get to find out alot of info about there car with these tests.

^ Its just for fun.. its not a serious competition..

Braking distance, fuel ecconomy, circuit time and drag time.. stuff like that..? Its all for fun anyways..

bushtucker
04-08-10, 01:29 PM
great idea tonba!

Tonba
04-08-10, 03:05 PM
Been putting alot more thought about it.

Perhaps we can do the JDMST COTY (JDMST Car of the year). It will be open to 10~12 Cars?

Here are the events;
-Fuel Ecconomy Challenge (Travel along a designated route from one fuel station to another)
-Brake Distance Challenge (Emergency stop from 100km/h)
-Dyno Shootout (All Cars @ IS Motor Racing)
-Track Battle (Circuit Club Eastern Creek Twilight battle OR Circuit Club september wakefield day)
-Drag Battle (Eastern Creek - Within a few weeks of the trackday)
-Show (JDMST vote for their favorite COTY at a EOMM that the cars are required to attend)

RULES
All cars must use the same configuration throughout all of the tests.
NO changing of tires, brake pads, alternate fuels, Aero, etc must be the same.

Feel free to suggest things guys. Ill have a chat to Justin, the mods, Indy from ISMR, Narada from Circuit club and see what we can come up with. This could be a good annual event.. :)

ommeh
04-08-10, 03:54 PM
This should be very interesting :D

m0nty
04-08-10, 04:16 PM
Been putting alot more thought about it.

Perhaps we can do the JDMST COTY (JDMST Car of the year). It will be open to 10~12 Cars?

Here are the events;
-Fuel Ecconomy Challenge (Travel along a designated route from one fuel station to another)
-Brake Distance Challenge (Emergency stop from 100km/h)
-Dyno Shootout (All Cars @ IS Motor Racing)
-Track Battle (Circuit Club Eastern Creek Twilight battle OR Circuit Club september wakefield day)
-Drag Battle (Eastern Creek - Within a few weeks of the trackday)
-Show (JDMST vote for their favorite COTY at a EOMM that the cars are required to attend)

RULES
All cars must use the same configuration throughout all of the tests.
NO changing of tires, brake pads, alternate fuels, Aero, etc must be the same.

Feel free to suggest things guys. Ill have a chat to Justin, the mods, Indy from ISMR, Narada from Circuit club and see what we can come up with. This could be a good annual event.. :)

I'd be in on this with the SS. I assume this will take quite some time to get up and running.

I think another factor should be cost. Bang For Buck is always a measurement for these types of things. Check out the MOTOR Tuned Car Challenge. The other should be drivability. We're talking all round here so an easy to live with car should be a factor too.

CallMeKay
04-08-10, 04:19 PM
Someone has to record this too right?

m0nty
04-08-10, 04:20 PM
Someone has to record this too right?

Could make a cool DVD featuring in-car footage and so on.

CallMeKay
04-08-10, 04:22 PM
Of course :)

And it can showcase the community as well.

Tonba
04-08-10, 05:24 PM
I'd be in on this with the SS. I assume this will take quite some time to get up and running.

I think another factor should be cost. Bang For Buck is always a measurement for these types of things. Check out the MOTOR Tuned Car Challenge. The other should be drivability. We're talking all round here so an easy to live with car should be a factor too.

The only problem with this is.. who would assess driveability..? It is extramly subjective.. amd I know alot of people may not like someone else driving thier car.. I know I wouldnt let someone.. :neutral:

J
04-08-10, 07:02 PM
The only problem with this is.. who would assess driveability..? It is extramly subjective.. amd I know alot of people may not like someone else driving thier car.. I know I wouldnt let someone.. :neutral:

Don't stress, the VE ss is the true winner already.

Can't beat LS.

devilution
04-08-10, 07:09 PM
Could make a cool DVD featuring in-car footage and so on.

now that makes it an even better idea :)

m0nty
04-08-10, 07:18 PM

Thing is all your judging areas are based JUST on performance. What if that particular car gets trailered to every events because the owner doesn't want to drive the wretched thing there, or it's not actually legal to do so. Makes a mockery of the "S" aspect. If this is a street car award then streetability is definitely a factor that needs to be considered.

Things like...

1. Power delivery
2. Comfort
3. Ease of driving
4. Noise levels

I'm not having a go, but whilst your car for example is registered it would clearly be about as streetable as my Honda. A good street car retains that easy to drive factor while still having great performance and style.... in my opinion of course.

Tonba
04-08-10, 08:26 PM
^ hence why I droped the 'S'.. lol.

But I agree with you. Its just hard to do, because most people wouldnt let someone else drive their car.. thats all.

My car would be EPIC fail at streetability.. haha

Rallye
04-08-10, 08:49 PM
Justin, I would like to write :)

ommeh
05-08-10, 12:47 AM
DVD or Youtube Vid would be awesome idea :D

03DC5R
05-08-10, 03:23 AM
this sounds awesome! but how do we decide which cars to enter? im sure we cant have everyone's car in on this...

Tonba
05-08-10, 09:48 AM
First post updated! Keep your ideas comming guys!

We could even drop the fuel consumption test and brake test, and allow non-rego'd cars..??? (ie race cars that some of us have..)

Sharpy
05-08-10, 10:05 AM
So this would just be a nsw based thing i'm assuming? seeing as the majority of writers are down there?

Sharpy
05-08-10, 10:06 AM
a race car could hardly be SCOTY(M) though could it... STREET car of the ....

Tonba
05-08-10, 10:12 AM
We would just drop the 'street' part of it.. so it would be open to anyone/anything..

This event should be an annual event rather then monthly as it would be pritty big. Not to mention alot of writing involved, photos and video.

What do you guys think? Keep it about street cars, or open the doors.

There is no reason why other state cant copy the same format. :)

Sharpy
05-08-10, 10:18 AM
street car imo.

perhaps you could do 6 monhtly setup if you want to incorporate race cars. race cars in June (winter when most racing is done) Street cars in Summer (when people are out and about cruising in warmer months)

I just don't know how combining the two classes will create an even playing field, because race cars obviously have a lot more allowance in some categories, but will obviously lack in the 'comfort' sector.

Still a great idea, would like to be involved in a QLD setup

Tonba
05-08-10, 10:22 AM
^ Thats actually not a bad idea.

JDMST - RCOTY & JDMST - SCOTY

Two events.. Two writeups.. Two Features. Could combine them to produce an Annual JDMST DVD.

The only thing is, we need to workout how to rate comfort/engineering/drivability/etc for the street cars..

Sharpy
05-08-10, 10:35 AM
I'll have a better look into this when I get home, hard to have a proper brain storm at work lol

Tonba
05-08-10, 10:39 AM
Yeah.. Its all food for thought at the moment.. But I would really like to see this happen..

Two of my favorite things to read in autosalon were circuit battle & SCOTY

Sharpy
05-08-10, 10:54 AM
PS: Ignition covered a general Street car of the year comp a couple years ago, had the queen st ferrari, NVMYRE, JET200 etc in it. Could look up for ideas?

Rallye
05-08-10, 01:31 PM
Thanks Tonba, Im looking very forward in writing :) PM me more info about whats involved ;)

Tonba
05-08-10, 01:40 PM
No worries mate. Thanks for volunteering.. I need to have a chat to justin about this because I would like to see it get off the ground..

Tonba
05-08-10, 01:42 PM
Also, if your interested in entering, please express your intrest. We are also looking for more writers, photographers and anyone involved in film that is willing to volunteer.. :)

We need to brainstorm some more ideas for the 'streetability' componant of the tests..

m0nty
05-08-10, 01:47 PM
I'll be in (undecided on which car, probably the SS depending on timeframe) and have a think about criteria.

brasher
05-08-10, 02:01 PM
you guys are fucked if I enter my Au.

Bang A Dang
05-08-10, 02:10 PM
id like to enter my car but im still think its a POS

Sharpy
05-08-10, 02:13 PM
Once my car is resprayed on new wheels etc i'll enter it into qld one, ralleye have you got links to previous things you have written? be keen to have a squiz

m0nty
05-08-10, 02:16 PM
you guys are fucked if I enter my Au.

If you enter that AU I have team orders confirming that...

"Brasher is faster than me. Can I confirm I understand this message?"

:lol:

*bj*
05-08-10, 02:24 PM
Just a thought:

Maybe a 'battle' format would work?

If this is a yearly event, it could run over a month or two. Each week, a certain number of cars (anything from 4 to 10) have small features/ photos done. You could class the cars to give an even playing field (e.g. practical commuters one week, drift sleds the next, VIP the next) and ensure a good variety in the finals.

Users vote on the favourite for that week and the top 2/3 progress to the next round. In the final round (could be a two car shootout, or 4/5/whatever cars) the winner & runner up can be chosen by a panel of judges. There would also be a people's choice award.

It would be very beneficial to get sponsors involved if we are serious. I'd like to help with promotion etc.

Tonba
05-08-10, 04:31 PM
^ Not a bad idea.

I would really like to get some sponsors & partners on board.. Circuit Club, IS Motor Racing, and anyone else that would be keen?

Run-It-Hard
05-08-10, 04:39 PM
What about a SCOTM ?, 2 cars are Chosen for the SCOTM at each EOMM. So we'd have 24 entrants for the SCOTY and so on.

But I guess the unregistered/track cars would be missing out.

Just a thought though.

CallMeKay
05-08-10, 07:07 PM
I'd like to help out maybe with the recording or the writing?

Not like a major role.

I just want to help in someway!

evil_weevil
11-08-10, 05:37 PM
I like this idea :)

happy to be involved in anyway!

realitysays
17-08-10, 09:53 PM
Great Idea Alex. I'd be down as a photographer, i think the JDMST community is big enough to get lots of entries also!
Happy to be involved with helping out also.

Tonba
18-08-10, 09:59 AM
Thank you very much!! We would need all the help we can get..

Difficult thing is, to work out what things we can do to grade the cars on.

I have talked to Narada from Circuitclub and he is VERY keen to get this off the ground. He even suggested some sort of prize.. :)

Will keep everyone in the loop as things develop..

Devzaaa
18-08-10, 10:40 PM
I'd be happy to write aswell, it's what I intend on doing after I leave school so perhaps it'd help with recognition and practice :)

I WAS briefly considering entering my car if this isn't limited to JDM-only, but then I thought about all the damage, all the leaks, all the rattles... Oh and, what fuel economy? ...Never mind :lol: But I am definitely down to assist in writeups!

nsx88x
20-08-10, 01:41 PM
Great idea guys!
Maybe have a handicap in some categories such as dyno for NA.

RB_LOVE
24-08-10, 11:19 AM
If there is a golf entering, I'd like to enter my car to see how it goes against it. lol

Nah, really I think if Ah-Huh enter's the gt2 it would get interesting.

Either way a good idea.

Maybe we should have a trial run at an EOMM where we number cars and members can vote for the car they want, the top 2 cars are then put up against each other spec for spec and through a vote thread a feature car is chosen...? Just to see how we go.

Biggie
25-08-10, 06:29 PM
if i can be of use let me know.

Tonba
26-08-10, 08:44 AM
^ Thanks for the love guys! ;)

Still putting together details, and need to talk to all the relivant parties. Narada from circuitclub looks to be on board with the whole thing though! :)

RB_LOVE
26-08-10, 08:59 AM
You know what would be mad! Sexspec vs jdm!