PDA

View Full Version : AutoCAD - Anyone?

bogan
30-09-06, 12:39 PM
Has anyone used this program to create 3D forms? Complete beginner, it's like sitting in the cockpit of an aeroplane, i dont know where to start. Can anyone here give me some tips on how to do this? ta

import_bible
30-09-06, 03:18 PM
I've used AutoCad before, I would not start with 3D forms quite yet, get use to working in 2D. You should pick up a book that has excercises, I find it is the best way to learn. BTW I beleive AutoCAD is not that great for 3D objects.

bogan
30-09-06, 05:21 PM
So, i guess i should start with some simple house plans then. Do you still design with CAD programs? What type of programs do you use now? I'd be interested to see some of your work if possible! thanks for the reply

import_bible
01-10-06, 09:25 AM
I do not draft any more, I took it in highschool. I actually hated it. I work with illustrator, which is somewhat similar in style. I have posted some work already check out my car drawings.

KazeKid
02-10-06, 08:31 PM
I don't use Autocad, I'm fluent with SolidEdge.

Although I'm pretty sure those two are similar.

What I tend to do is think of an object in 2d, then expand it into a 3d form. Trust me this makes everything easier.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3273/pistonkeyringxuanmai16107188yu3.th.jpg (http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pistonkeyringxuanmai16107188yu3.jpg)

I made this thing in an hour (It's a keyring) just thinking in 2d forms. I'm not too knowledgeable in technical terms as I've only been doing technical drawing for a term :)

bogan
02-10-06, 08:57 PM
kyoru : Your stuff is pretty amazing. I've just done a couple random drafts, kinda getting used to them since they're too easy. NEXT STOP! 3D world!

Kazekid : Is there an online guide that you know of for 3D objects? Thats a nice looking keyring

KazeKid
02-10-06, 09:39 PM
I don't know of any sites.. Just try to think of an on object in multiple basic shapes, then combine them.

Technical drawing isnt too hard anyway since you're held by the hand most of hte time by the program anyway ;D

bogan
02-10-06, 10:08 PM
I think you're forgetting that i haven't done anything too the demands of 3D object making!!!!!

I know how to make the basic shapes, but then what?!?!??!

give me a day or two, ill read up on it when i get some free time. I'll reply in this thread in 2days with something to show!

henrysan
03-10-06, 10:06 AM
try using rhino 3d. its alot more free form then solidworks. u dont need to set up any planes or anything.

KazeKid
03-10-06, 03:19 PM
I think you're forgetting that i haven't done anything too the demands of 3D object making!!!!!

I know how to make the basic shapes, but then what?!?!??!

give me a day or two, ill read up on it when i get some free time. I'll reply in this thread in 2days with something to show!

neither have I. Use abit of imagination dude :wink:

yellowcake
18-10-06, 08:24 PM
PM sent

bogan
18-10-06, 08:59 PM
PM replied

QwikMX5
25-10-06, 06:04 PM
Better yet, use Solid Edge or Solid Works to draw it up in 2D (or 3D preferably) then save it as a .STEP file.

If I remember correctly, this type of file works with Rhino 3D / Flamingo Renderer (among other programs) which allows you to drop it into Rhino and work with lighting, colours, textures etc.

Solid Edge Assembler is real good for ..well..assembling a model!

Anyhow, Rhino makes for some. Rhino G2/3 curvatures FTW. :)

Powizzle
29-10-06, 04:13 PM
:P At school we use ProDesktop. Do you guys use that? or is that a beginner program haha. Solid Edge is alright