PDA

View Full Version : Time Attack

Justin Fox
09-11-10, 09:46 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2216/1915763696_8247d7c5be_z.jpg?zz=1

Time Attack - Japanese origins and discussion.

Time Attack (alternatively known as Super Lap or Tuner Battles) originated in Japan when the tuning media organized the event on race circuits such as Tsukuba Circuit, where it commonly occurs, as a proving ground for street tuned cars built at a large budget by highly respected tuning companies.

References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_attack

Trolls Royce
09-11-10, 09:54 AM
Part of me likes the whole Time Attack thing, just due to how much people try and push the limits etc with power, weight and aerodynamics.

On the same note though, it does feel like it's not really driver vs driver, but more machine vs machine. I'm sure there is a lot of skill involved, don't get me wrong, but watching a race of technology can be a little bit boring sometimes I guess?

Justin Fox
09-11-10, 09:59 AM
If only they could somehow make it more exciting for the spectators. I'm thinking massive screens at every major viewing point showing live footage and a "ghost" car (ala Gran Turismo) of the fastest car/lap overlayed over live footage of the car currently on the track.

Tonba
09-11-10, 10:08 AM
^ now that is an awesome idea Justin!

dannyc
09-11-10, 10:20 AM
They have that ghost sorta thing in the Red Bull Air Race and its pretty cool; you can see the pilots take different lines, enter with differing speeds, etc.

At the end of the day, time attack is about tuner shop technological showcasing, but through this, we see its own subculture being born with its explosion in popularity world-wide.

Trolls Royce
09-11-10, 01:00 PM
If only they could somehow make it more exciting for the spectators. I'm thinking massive screens at every major viewing point showing live footage and a "ghost" car (ala Gran Turismo) of the fastest car/lap overlayed over live footage of the car currently on the track.

I dunno how the ghost car thing would work, but I do think big screens would be a good idea. I guess the other problem is that there isn't a whole lot of atmosphere either.

I think the other thing they need is proper commentators. That moron doing it this year, I'm pretty sure is the same guy who used to do DA, and he's completely hopeless.

whyte
09-11-10, 01:08 PM
was it Racin' Jason? Lol

pbk1776
09-11-10, 01:23 PM
This is the reason why i got into cars -

Trolls Royce
09-11-10, 02:45 PM
was it Racin' Jason? Lol

Probably dude.

He sounds like Darryl Eastlake, but more of a tool.

tiksie
09-11-10, 03:57 PM
Probably dude.

He sounds like Darryl Eastlake, but more of a tool.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

bluesprinter
17-12-10, 10:57 AM
i see it as a more enthusiest thing...yup its not that entertaining watching a car compete against nothing but a time...for the driver it is a whole new ball game, for the tuner its even more mind racking how exciting this is...
and for people just watching trying to find some entertainment without appreciation will fall asleep...

only time when it does get exciting is when there is a reason...like World Time Attack and cars all over the world come together because...its bloody fantastic of an idea...otherwise weekend time attack is usually for personal gains and not generallly a public benifit, BUT viewers are always welcomed to any event

Wink
17-12-10, 02:03 PM
FDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFD

53.6 around Tsukuba.. fastest RWD ever I think.
Kd-AnG3LYUg

RB_LOVE
17-12-10, 03:34 PM
From a spectator and competitor point of view I love it.

I used to be the type to like watching races and seeing people try to over take etc.... now I love watching the qualifying and I like timing myself aswell (Legally?) anyways, even on GT5 or Forza. I don't know what it is but just the competitive nature of trying to keep pushing the boundary gets me excited..... lol

I often msg mates about an awesome time I got on Forza with an EG with so and so mods on Tsukuba and the challange is on for them to beat that time (most of the time I get smashed).

The Stig
17-12-10, 04:48 PM
So whats the difference between time attack and grip racing?

Kyon
17-12-10, 05:33 PM
You're racing for 1st place in grip racing whereas in time attack you're trying to set lap records. There are no other cars on the track with you in time attack races.

Time Attack laps are also done with rolling starts and Time Attack cars must use street legal tyres.

For example the current record holder (the CT230R) uses A048s:

http://image.superstreetonline.com/f/9278945/130_0802_03_z+2005_mitsubushi_lancer_evolution_vii i+big_brakes.jpg

AE092
17-12-10, 05:45 PM
You're racing for 1st place in grip racing whereas in time attack you're trying to set lap records.

What he said. You'll find that generally the tyres used in T/A events are of softer compound for more grip at the cost of longevity. Alot of the competitors were running Advan A050's at the World Time Attack in Sydney earlier this year and although they don't last long, have proven to be a marginally better tire.

RB_LOVE
17-12-10, 05:53 PM
I also love the fact that time attack cars are setup as well balanced cars, trying to perfect the balance between power and handling. So much <3

Mark Webber
17-12-10, 05:56 PM
The term "grip racing" is retarded, please refrain from using it.

The Stig
17-12-10, 10:03 PM
The term "grip racing" is retarded, please refrain from using it.

lol so what do we use ?

Kyon
17-12-10, 10:46 PM
Just 'racing' is fine

Mark Webber
20-12-10, 02:53 PM
Just 'racing' is fine

This.

VTECMACHINE
20-12-10, 04:07 PM
Well depends how you want to look at it.

I've always thought of "racing" in terms of door to door racing competing for first place. (Eg: IPRA, F1, V8's)

Time attack, is against a clock to set the best lap time. (Eg: munchhunch's racing team)

Time attack, and door to door racing are both GRIP racing, where as drift is drift. End of the day, grip is what makes a fast lap time - and that's the goal of both door to door racing and Time attack.

seventhskyline
20-12-10, 04:16 PM
No. Racing, is racing. Theres no need to differentiate it from other motorsports such as drift (which is what all this bulldust 'grip racing' talk seems to have arisen from), because they aren't racing.

In Australia, a time attack is a supersprint where the promoter can pick and choose what type of cars they want to enter.

VTECMACHINE
20-12-10, 04:40 PM
yes, depends how you want to look at it. There is no set definition of the term Racing.

seventhskyline
20-12-10, 04:49 PM
yes, depends how you want to look at it. There is no set definition of the term Racing.

Nah, there is. Racing is trying to go faster than other people or the clock. Observed events where the aim is to perform tasks or project style for a score are not motor racing, but they are motor sport.

VTECMACHINE
20-12-10, 05:46 PM
If you want to look at it like that, fair enough. I still think of it the same way.

Still consider Grip driving/racing time attack or door to door racing.

Mark Webber
21-12-10, 10:33 AM
Normal driving, racing, time attack etc etc is "grip" (I feel dirty now)... there is reason to differentiate just because drift exists... drifting is drifting, racing is racing...

Glocker
22-12-10, 06:45 AM
So is there drift racing? Who can maintain the most angle and smoke and pass the other fellow is the winner?

Time attack is awesome..but it is a superbly expensive hobby if you want to push the boundaries of your best laptime.

Mark Webber
22-12-10, 10:08 AM
So is there drift racing?

No.

seventhskyline
22-12-10, 03:28 PM
So is there drift racing? Who can maintain the most angle and smoke and pass the other fellow is the winner?

Time attack is awesome..but it is a superbly expensive hobby if you want to push the boundaries of your best laptime.

Racing is racing. If you win on anything but time/speed, its not racing.

9large
23-12-10, 01:06 PM
FDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFD

53.6 around Tsukuba.. fastest RWD ever I think.

53.6 is a very fast time, but the fastest time set by a RWD at Tsukuba was the ARTA NSX with a 51.875.

oFU9aUB0scA

crimp
21-01-11, 08:41 PM
time attack .. looks fun to me..http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac89/jeffjeff80/th_IMG_0029.jpg (http://s888.photobucket.com/albums/ac89/jeffjeff80/?action=view&current=IMG_0029.mp4)

wernz
21-01-11, 09:46 PM
whinge, whinge!!!
get over it

Demon
19-02-11, 08:29 PM
Time attack is fun but as previously stated, the car itself has alot to do with the ultimate winner...If u set a power to weight limit, then driver skill level woulc come more into play I guess.

Trolls Royce
22-02-11, 03:44 PM
Two problems I see with the events are the commentators, who are morons, and the lack of information when you're watching as a spectator.

Someone previously mentioned having big screens with ghost car overlays, which would be cool, but I doubt falls into the budget for the event.

What they did have was a big screen in the pits with lap times on it. This was all well and good while you were standing in the pits, but if you were watching the track, the only way you knew what was happening was by listening to the commentators, who were god awful.

A few more screens with laptime info, and maybe if it were possible, instead of just showing lap times, showing split times as well? Would make for a much better event.

lightyear
22-02-11, 08:12 PM
Hillclimb racing is probably the oldest form of racing, and it is still popular all these years later. Time attack is basically the same thing as hillclimd racing.

clutch-monkey
23-02-11, 10:25 AM
Time attack is fun but as previously stated, the car itself has alot to do with the ultimate winner...If u set a power to weight limit, then driver skill level woulc come more into play I guess.

flip side there is that you don't get to see workshops go all out with wild mods perhaps
although maybe if you set a power/weight limit you'd see some clever engineering to exploit that?

Evaded
23-02-11, 10:37 AM
I'm sorry but how exactly did 'Time Attack' (reality is it is just another name for Sprints) begin in Japan. Sprints are identical without the wanky name. The idea is to get the fastest single lap time. To give you an idea my old man was organising 'Sprint' days back in the 50's and 60's. Nothing has changed besides some wanky advertising and big dollar teams with lots of development.

I enjoy 'time attack' purely from an engineering/driving stand point. Watching it is boring and tedious it has none of the excitement of good close racing.

BURST
23-02-11, 11:18 AM
What are the restrictions on modifications for Time Attack? I know you must use a mass production chassis, and street legal tyre, but are there any other restrictions?

bluesprinter
23-02-11, 11:31 AM
http://www.worldtimeattack.com/

drop them an email i guess