PDA

View Full Version : Option - Exciting Car Magazine

Justin Fox
09-11-10, 09:03 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b6/06_04cover-1-.jpg

Option (オプション, Opushon in katakana and subtitled Exciting Car Magazine) is an automotive magazine founded by Daijiro Inada in 1981, to meet the demand for enthusiasts of modified Japanese cars in Japan.

The magazine is published by the Japanese media giant San-Ei Shobo Publishing Co. Ltd., the parent company of Sunpros, a company owned by Inada, who is behind both the D1 Grand Prix series and Tokyo Auto Salon.

During the earlier days, the magazines used to cover illegal street races held in expressways before it became illegal to do so.

Also, it covers the exploits of Inada attempts at driving speed records, whether it was at Bonneville, at the German Autobahn or at the Silver State Classic, even by members of the magazine editorial team. Nowadays the series features Wangan competitions on closed roads and where it is legalised to do so.

Beside speed tests and modified car features, other regular features includes, a rate-my-car feature where readers send a photo of their car to be judged by Manabu Suzuki, with a comedic result; a monthly features, where Keiichi Tsuchiya solves readers' problems that concern with drifting, a monthly column called Sugoiyo Osaru-chin (すごいよ! オサルさん) by Ken Nomura. Also it has a D1GP mini-magazine. Other contributors includes Eiji Yamada and Manabu Orido. The magazine also covered the build up to his Silver State exploits that he has become known for. Other magazines in the Option line are Option 2, a similar magazine but less emphasises on feature cars but more on technical bits and DIY modifications; Option Wagon for modified MPV, Drift Tengoku, a magazine and video series dedicated to drifting and Video Option. The Option magazine is known to be very popular amongst JDM enthusiasts and people who work in the Import industry who use it to gain knowledge on new parts.

References:
http://www.jdm-option.com
http://www.v-opt.co.jp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Option_%28car_magazine%29

ido09s
09-11-10, 09:16 AM
Lets not forget the option DVD series :D Its a shame you cant buy the Jap version here anymore :(

Justin Fox
09-11-10, 09:17 AM
I'm pretty sure Kinokuniya still has them Brad!

D4NM4C
09-11-10, 09:58 AM
I buy my Option mags from Amazon JP, good service not bad waiting times.
Expensive though, but def worth it!

Love my Option

ido09s
09-11-10, 10:16 AM
really, havent been there for ages and wasnt aware they sold the DVD's :D

mc180
09-11-10, 10:19 AM
G Works is another cool Japanese mag. Used to be called Auto Works if i'm not mistaken. It has a really cool mix of old school cars and modern rides. Strong focus on street and track cars. Not show cars.

Option2 also puts out what i think is a special edition called Evolution Q. So far i have only seen vol 1 and 2. Alot of old school cars with modern engine conversions. Think Rocky Auto or C&Y Sports and you get the idea. Two of my fav features cars are a KGC10 Skyline with a 2j built by C&Y and another KGC10 by Rocky Auto with a N/A RB25/26.

As far as local mags go, Performance Imports (formerly known as high performance imports) was the original and is one of the last remaining car mags that features imports that have been built locally and in Japan. I know Fast Fours and Hot 4's have been around longer but neither feature alot, or at least as many Japanese built cars.

Yes i spend too much on car mags and my 180 suffers because of it!

As far as the discussions regarding Japanese car culture and the misunderstanding or corupting of it, these magazines are a great place to get info.

mc180
09-11-10, 10:21 AM
really, havent been there for ages and wasnt aware they sold the DVD's :D

They'll order them in for you. Speak to the people in the Japanese section. They'll pretty much order any magazine, dvd or book that you can think of as long as you have enough details.

Biggie
10-11-10, 09:46 AM
G Works is another cool Japanese mag. Used to be called Auto Works if i'm not mistaken. It has a really cool mix of old school cars and modern rides. Strong focus on street and track cars. Not show cars.

Option2 also puts out what i think is a special edition called Evolution Q. So far i have only seen vol 1 and 2. Alot of old school cars with modern engine conversions. Think Rocky Auto or C&Y Sports and you get the idea. Two of my fav features cars are a KGC10 Skyline with a 2j built by C&Y and another KGC10 by Rocky Auto with a N/A RB25/26.

As far as local mags go, Performance Imports (formerly known as high performance imports) was the original and is one of the last remaining car mags that features imports that have been built locally and in Japan. I know Fast Fours and Hot 4's have been around longer but neither feature alot, or at least as many Japanese built cars.
Yes i spend too much on car mags and my 180 suffers because of it!

As far as the discussions regarding Japanese car culture and the misunderstanding or corupting of it, these magazines are a great place to get info.

We all still call it HPI in the office :P

HPI takes care of all the japonease content and GTR / Supra stuff

Fast Fours and Rotories (im the editor) Has a more AUS based edge whitch has always been our thing (showcasing Australian technology and builds) but we do run quite few USA and European cars, and we focous on the perfomance street car, track car, drift car, time attack etc with a little bit of old school mixed in

Hot4's IS more focused on the visual astetic based cars, the show scene and shiny things, although the formula is changing so you an expect to see more of a focus on super tidy / high end builds (think sublime motorex etc) and slammned Lexus spec

Zoom Magazine is also in the mix here, and covers the more home built / diy / heck lets stick these two truck turbos on a LS1 and chuck it in a corolla side of things,

lots of cool engine convertions, big boost street cars and basically anything that goes hard / puts go along long way before show

:)

mc180
10-11-10, 10:16 AM
All cool mags. Although Hot 4's isn't really my thing. Just got the latest Fast Fours today. FC drift pig is tough. But you guys need to stop sharing stories. I've already read that review of Pulse in Zoom or HPI. And heaps of the tech articles end up in multiple mags.

SANITORA
10-11-10, 01:43 PM
remember catching the train into chinatown to get my fix of option at $20 bux a pop, early 90's.. still have all my copies and they arrived into aus 3 months late.. when i finally went to japan they were 6 bux each and got them on the release day :)
still read them to this day...

nebuchernezzer
10-11-10, 02:31 PM
Hehe yeah they were pretty good at coming out on the release day at the combini. I got annoyed when the local combini got them in a day late lols.