PDA

View Full Version : Stance, Fitment & USDM Car Culture

Pages : [1] 2 3

HuH
09-11-10, 05:15 PM
Let's be realistic, the obsession with wheel fitment and stance is more than just a passing fad. Like it or loathe it, it's been the catalyst for a series of heated discussions on this forum and others around the world. Followers and devotees have spawned a fleet of dedicated fan-bases in a short space of time such as Stanceworks, Hellaflush, Rimtuck and Slamburglars to name a select few.

The exact genesis of the trend is hard to pinpoint, with the essence of the style tracing back to several sources. For all intents and purposes, ‘Stance’ as it stands now is a fashion; it’s lineage does however have some roots in the practical use of wide wheels with low offset. It was commonplace decades ago in motor racing, and it has endured in motorsport as competitive racecars often benefit from the wider track. Having said that, stance is not a direct descendant of this one influence.

The use of stretched tyres is now synonymous with the current stance movement, but it was first fashionable amongst modifiers in Japan adhering to the conventions of bosozoku/bippu/shakotan and kaido racer styles. In European car culture we saw wheel fitment become the ‘in thing’ amongst dubbers. This fad was picked up on and spread to the VW scene stateside, and some of the current stance trend has stemmed from both these roots.

No doubt that Japanese car culture on the whole was the biggest influence behind the origins of the trend; but the current incarnation of stance as a fashion statement and movement has birthed solely from the USDM re-articulation of these Japanese styles.

I would argue that to say the Japanese did it first is not entirely accurate; same goes for the Europeans. Certainly there were trends in both places that lent some techniques to the current movement, and they have had cars with a similar look in the past, but responsibility for the widespread popularity of 'Stance' lies with the market in the United States.

Import culture in the US is now in it’s second generation. The first generation can be defined quite accurately by the scene outlined in the film, The Fast & The Furious. This glorified adage to import culture was heavily built upon the aspirations of many modifiers at the time. The scene there has come of age, and I would now say that the stateside import culture is in it’s second generation. The stance movement is firmly rooted in this second phase.

Stance by current definition is concerned with both ride height and wheel fitment. Schools of thought on good stance vary greatly, and this can be attributed to the large number of influences affecting it’s current guise. To some the practical implications of wide stance on handling and performance are defining, to others it is about the tough appearance of a wide car, and to others still it is about being the most outrageously low and aggressive with their wheel and tyre combo.

The subculture has birthed it's own phrasebook of slang and jargon. The words ‘stance’ and ‘fitment’ for starters, along with ‘tuck’, ‘poke’, ‘stretch’, ‘scrub’, ‘flush’, ‘static’ and any number of synonyms for ‘lowered’ (i.e. ‘sacked’, ‘slammed’, dumped’, ‘decked’, ‘railed’, ‘dropped’ etc.)

There are several other fashion elements that have come through in this new generation of US car culture alongside the fitment trend. The most prominent are rat-rod styling and retro influenced accessories, along with the enduring trend of quality JDM wheels and parts. Currently the sports compact scene is particularly obsessed with crazy engine builds and/or conversions.

In Australia our import culture has changed significantly over the years. Generationally I would say that it looks similar to the United States, with two separate stages in it’s history. The first of these was much more closely linked to what was happening in Japan at the time, whereas our second generation is more influenced by USDM trends than we might care to admit. The conversation in this thread is mostly concerned with the more recent incarnation of stance as a phenomenon, but no doubt discussion of this new wave of USDM culture will take place here as well.

Oxer
10-11-10, 04:37 AM
/thread.

What more needs to be said? Honestly. http://static1.ozhonda.com/images/smilies/thumbs_up.gif

cristian
10-11-10, 05:38 AM
i remember watching an old interview with Peter Brock on channel 10's RPM saying that the old race cars on the mountain had wide track wheels and tyres to compensate for the fact that suspension technology were not where they are today...hence the tyres played a major part in whatever traction they could find given that they drove really heavy and very torquey vehicles...

IMO i love the look of fat wheels sticking out the sides of cars and making the whole car look low and fat, but seeing these cars with dangerously stupid camber and tyre walls wearing away at the wheel arch don't do it for me...

there are proper steps to take in achieving the same aesthetic stance without compensating safety of the ride...

Prancer
10-11-10, 08:27 AM
you have to remember though that this is more about form than being safe,

what are the proper steps in achieving the same aesthetic?

HuH
10-11-10, 09:40 AM
there are proper steps to take in achieving the same aesthetic stance without compensating safety of the ride...

you have to remember though that this is more about form than being safe

You're right, the basic look of a low, fat car can be achieved safely and legally with reasonable amounts of camber and a respectable ride height; but the fashion statement of stance is more about the extreme. Cars with the “best” stance are often impractical and relatively undrivable because it shows dedication. There have been a few examples of people trying to one-up each other by fitting wider and lower offset wheels to the same model of car.

Japanese modifiers are the ones who can relate to this most with insane amounts of camber employed by some to fit the widest most dished wheels possible regardless of practicality. In the end it is more about form than function, which is an interesting contrast to the supposed essence of JDM modification. I think that is the biggest reason for the divide in opinion, especially on a forum like this one. That’s a whole other can of worms, though, because certain trends in Japanese car culture have never been about performance or functionality.

Prancer
10-11-10, 09:48 AM
I guess thats part of the evolution of a sub culture, you get to the extreme, then you try to engineer ways to make it easier for the next person, so then there are more people at your competition level.

pbk1776
10-11-10, 12:27 PM
if anyone will agree with me USDM can be added in the arguments of forms and functions discussion?

Prancer
10-11-10, 12:31 PM
the thing is, any style can be discussed in that way.

whyte
10-11-10, 12:36 PM
agreed, USDM took it a new level!

im gonna go back to shitty offsets!

Downshift
10-11-10, 11:54 PM
Everything you said....is win.

Julz01
11-11-10, 08:09 AM
IN Australia the Ae86 community has been using low offset wide wheels for a fair couple of years now, way before this whole stance looked came into play, the cars look good but anything that will compromise drive ability is not a good idea, in saying that My wheels are slightly poking out of the guards and have very stretched tyres, but im not running the car too low, which keeps the drive ability high

Prancer
11-11-10, 09:07 AM
Yes that is true, I believe that most of the people that get into the whole stance side of things originate from the spooner era of cars,

It all comes down to balancing the form vs function as stated before lol

Also AE86s are more open to using low offset wheels due to their design. 15x8 0 offset wheels will fit with minimal work, but this is totally different to a nissan

Prancer
11-11-10, 09:54 AM
Do they really do it right? I have seen some cars that have had heaps of corners cut

SANITORA
11-11-10, 11:16 AM
none of this is new, i dont know why anyone talks about it like its a new fad or fresh idea of modifying a car. The ignorance of people to suggest that what they are doing to their cars is a brave new world that is being invented/spawned in the US is ridiculous and the main reason why some dont really respect it.

having a low car with the widest wheels possible sitting in your car has been around for decades.

HuH
11-11-10, 11:50 AM
Everything you said....is win.

Cheers, Rory. We should do interstate hangout sometime. Would be good to meet.

IN Australia the Ae86 community has been using low offset wide wheels for a fair couple of years now, way before this whole stance looked came into play, the cars look good but anything that will compromise drive ability is not a good idea, in saying that My wheels are slightly poking out of the guards and have very stretched tyres, but im not running the car too low, which keeps the drive ability high

People have been using low offset, wide wheels for decades, but the resurfacing of the trend in the US created a phenomenon. People there have been pushing the envelope and taking fitment to the extreme in new ways, and as a result itís been branded with itís own name. Itís not as though elements of the trend did not exist beforehand.

What is safe and what is drivable is very subjective. Like I said in the first post, opinions differ hugely because so many things have contributed to the way this craze looks today.

;823469']The cars you see in Japan with massive oni camber are purposely done that way not to fit wheels, its also a trend.

But as for the USDM stance movement, they just throw any wheel on anycar, cheap body mods with so much poke its just looks fucked.

Also stance and fitment is a main part in the VIP scene so the whole USDM scene is more like Hella flush, even though they are now into maxi poke!

The idea with oni-kyan is to have the top lip of the wheel flush with the guard, and the bottom lip as far from the side of the car as possible. Wheels are chosen specifically for their widths and offsets for maximum impact.

What looks good and what doesnít is all personal opinion. What you think looks like arse is amazing to other people because itís pushing the boundaries. I personally donít like massive poke, but itís one of those things that is a part of stance - it is not the heart of it.

The Japanese VIP scene has different objectives and ideals with wheel fitment. They are usually striving for full clearance with regard to both suspension travel and lock to lock turn at the lowest ride height possible. It is a trend that has influenced the USDM re-envisaging but doesnít define it, and thatís what Iíve implied in the first post.

HuH
11-11-10, 11:54 AM
The ignorance of people to suggest that what they are doing to their cars is a brave new world that is being invented/spawned in the US is ridiculous and the main reason why some dont really respect it.

I think it's ignorant to say that people are just doing stuff that has been done before. Like I've said a few times in these few posts, the origins of the trend are old, but it's come back in a widespread way that has incorporated multiple influences and built upon them. The stance thing is about more than just fat wheels.

PA70NG
11-11-10, 11:55 AM
You're right, the basic look of a low, fat car can be achieved safely and legally with reasonable amounts of camber and a respectable ride height; but the fashion statement of stance is more about the extreme. Cars with the “best” stance are often impractical and relatively undrivable because it shows dedication. There have been a few examples of people trying to one-up each other by fitting wider and lower offset wheels to the same model of car.

Japanese modifiers are the ones who can relate to this most with insane amounts of camber employed by some to fit the widest most dished wheels possible regardless of practicality. In the end it is more about form than function, which is an interesting contrast to the supposed essence of JDM modification. I think that is the biggest reason for the divide in opinion, especially on a forum like this one. That’s a whole other can of worms, though, because certain trends in Japanese car culture have never been about performance or functionality.

Im sorry, I believe no car can look good with the legal ride height of 100mm minimum when gong for the "stance", "fitment" or whatever look.

*bj*
11-11-10, 12:51 PM
The stance thing is about more than just fat wheels.

Yeah, don't forget the blogs, stickers and new era hats.

Hehe.

brasher
11-11-10, 12:59 PM
I feel like I need a university degree to read and reply to anything in the thread, well written.

whyte
11-11-10, 04:34 PM
are lambos anf ferraris lower then 100mm?

Matyi
11-11-10, 06:22 PM
Ryan, awesome post. Should put this up as an article on lowdown with pics.

Oh wait. :D

manyu
11-11-10, 06:32 PM
I feel like I need a university degree to read and reply to anything in the thread, well written.

lOl :p i fell the same :(

3AM
11-11-10, 09:07 PM
Camber is not fitment. america fucked this up.

SANITORA
11-11-10, 09:25 PM
People have been using low offset, wide wheels for decades, but the resurfacing of the trend in the US created a phenomenon. People there have been pushing the envelope and taking fitment to the extreme in new ways, and as a result itís been branded with itís own name. Itís not as though elements of the trend did not exist beforehand.

explain some of these new ways they are making wheels fit their cars?

I think it's ignorant to say that people are just doing stuff that has been done before. Like I've said a few times in these few posts, the origins of the trend are old, but it's come back in a widespread way that has incorporated multiple influences and built upon them. The stance thing is about more than just fat wheels.

its not ignorant if you then back me up and agree with my post.

I hope no one reads what ive written an thinks im a hater, i love cars styled in this manner they look tough as nails i just dont like the thought and continued hype that this is a new and groundbreaking.

HuH
12-11-10, 01:03 AM
;823883']I think the title should be changed of the Thread, as it is almost trying to state that the USDM Hellaflush style started the whole stance and fitment altogether, but as many peolpe have said its been popular long before this bandwagon

Not to be rude, but have you read and understood the first post? It in no way says that the US market started it altogether, in fact I implicitly described the influences that provided the foundations and that they first came about decades ago.

explain some of these new ways they are making wheels fit their cars?

I have a lot of respect for you and your knowledge, but I don't think you could honestly say that every aspect of what is happening in the US right now has been seen before. If you can, then I would say you're being too simplistic.

At the beginning I said that stance as it is now known, is not a new idea, but what's happening now is an extension of the old, not a mirror image. It's not really about sighting specific examples because that's not the point and in the end it is not really about how it's going where it hasn't before anyway. It is about the fact that it's blown up and become internationally popular in the mainstream. I'm not trying to say that they reinvented the wheel, but five years ago the word 'offset' mattered to a very small group of people in Australia. Take a look at us now.

BURST
12-11-10, 01:22 AM
;823883']
I understand its not everyones cup of tea what the yanks do, but what people rock in Japan do it everyday and drive them like that, In the U.S most of the guys just put really oversized wheels on for a photo then brag about how far there pushing the limits..
If I put truck wheels on my car take 20 photos throw them up on the net them take the wheels off, am I then pushing the limits? lol

Not quite sure which cars you're referring too, but I know alot of the Miata's in the states get driven as they are, rims sticking out of the fenders and minimal ground clearance. Compare this to the mx5/roadster scene in Japan or anywhere else in the world and they are definitely pushing the limits of what offsets and widths you can fit and how low you can go. I'll even go out and say that alot of the Miatas in the states are lower static than the bagged VIP cars in Japan.

gtrlux
12-11-10, 01:29 AM
Function is also a matter of debate, as it depends where you use you car for what purpose. A fully stanced Impreza STI, like we see so many in the stanced USJDM scene is completely unfunctional in most european countries , especially the UK. Its out of place as you can`t travel 10meter down your street, without hitting your front splitter, because roads are ass crap!
I have been driving many very low cars here in japan and it makes sense especially in japan to go stanced. Japan, especially the big metropoles have so perfect roads/streets that any stanced car will just love. And anyway no way you can actually use a Impreza STI handling performance over here. You go from a red light to a another and if you speed the cops get you, or you kill a student on a bicycle. So a fuly stanced car makes sense, especially in combination with a nice suspension, as you can cut in to low speed curves more accurate and makes fun to drive such a hard car.

I think there is no pro/contra stanced form/function discussion, without consideration where such car will be used.

Downshift
12-11-10, 01:50 AM
Cheers, Rory. We should do interstate hangout sometime. Would be good to meet.

For sure man, would be hell keen. Low-Down x Downshift Interstate Meet. Could be so boss :D

are lambos anf ferraris lower then 100mm?
Yes, far below. But most come with the air ride suspension, allowing you to pass legal requirements as well as get over bumps. However a lot of models have this merely as an optional extra. Which costs around $5,000 - $10,000.

Fairly sure, that not all American cars rock dickhouse camber. It seems everyone see's one car, which is only quite frankly stupid fitment with way OTT camber and instantly throw digs at USDM for doing it wrong. No where else does Subaru's like them, many roll minimal camber as well.

Not quite sure which cars you're referring too, but I know alot of the Miata's in the states get driven as they are, rims sticking out of the fenders and minimal ground clearance. Compare this to the mx5/roadster scene in Japan or anywhere else in the world and they are definitely pushing the limits of what offsets and widths you can fit and how low you can go. I'll even go out and say that alot of the Miatas in the states are lower static than the bagged VIP cars in Japan.
Wish I could 'Like' Posts. Cause I would click like infinitely on this.

HuH
12-11-10, 08:36 AM
For sure man, would be hell keen. Low-Down x Downshift Interstate Meet. Could be so boss :D

Mm. LOWDOWNSHIFT? Could be winner. Haha.

Justin Fox
12-11-10, 11:12 AM
Yes aggressive offsets and stance were around way way way before this current new movement/explosion, no-one is/or can debate that.

If a product "makes it" in America, chances are it'll "make it" in the rest of the world too.

That's what we're really looking at here.

Drifting was popular for years in Japan and only when the USA got into it did become a household name to the rest of the world.

tiksie
12-11-10, 12:22 PM
I doubt that BURST.

If that was the case, the cars will need wheels for their front bar/rearbar/sideskirts and oil sump.

Run-It-Hard
12-11-10, 12:53 PM
I'll just leave this here ...

http://jdmaddiction.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/4183613090_279c41b148.jpg

there are some pretty low "Miatas" out there, the one above is Harry's from slam burglars, that's static height and it stays like that 24/7.

Anyway, I'm getting a little sick of the hype of the whole stance and fitment thing personally, it's been around for yonks, there's nothing new about it either. But there's quite a few blogs in the states "commercializing" it, and as we can see it is definately working.

Justin Fox
12-11-10, 12:53 PM
This car was (one of) my main inspirations when I had my NA in 2005:

http://www.rs-watanabe.co.jp/images/users_photo/truth2.jpg
Known only as "TRUTH" and running 14x7 +3 Watanabe's and featured on the Watanabe Japan web site. Not sure how old the photo is but I'd guess a few years before I got to it in 2005.

tiksie
12-11-10, 01:15 PM
http://www.blowdesign.co.jp/topics/img/44-1.jpg

Show me one with skirts/rear bar this low, then I will agree.

Downshift
12-11-10, 01:33 PM
Mm. LOWDOWNSHIFT? Could be winner. Haha.
I fucking love this hahaha FTW.

http://www.blowdesign.co.jp/topics/img/44-1.jpg

Show me one with skirts/rear bar this low, then I will agree.
Skirts and bodykits allow cars to go lower, and still keep their undercarriage safe. Static low, without bags, on a standard bodied card>Kitted on bags. That MX5's sump would be pretty much touching the ground, or a ants dick away.

tiksie
12-11-10, 01:41 PM
Good point Rory, didn't think of that :D

anth
12-11-10, 01:53 PM
the one above is Harry's from slam burglars, that's static height and it stays like that 24/7.

He actually raises it for motorkhana events

Justin Fox
12-11-10, 02:03 PM
http://slamburglars.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75&view=findpost&p=2356

Joy :)

Run-It-Hard
12-11-10, 02:10 PM
True shit Anth? There you go then :lol:

not trying to be a prink or anything Tiksie, just thought I'd post a photo for reference. With the Mx5 the chassis rails hang pretty low. The kit on my car is flush with the chassis rails (if not a tad higher), even though it hangs 30-40mm off the body.

anth
12-11-10, 03:38 PM
;824752']T`Demand and Nagisa Auto vehicles which remove there chassis rails and weld them on the inside of the vehicle!!

I'd love to see some of this if you have links? Sounds like a 'body drop' like they do with mini-trucks and hot rods, except on a uni-body car (as opposed to a separate body/chassis).

BURST
13-11-10, 01:30 AM
I believe the majority of the cars you posted are bagged, if driven as is the paint is impossible to keep that clean unless you're respraying it daily. But prove me wrong.

Bodykit low vs Frame rail low; I can have my car 20cm off the ground and add a 20cm kit to it and be slammed by your definition. Fact is the guys in the US have taken these ideas from Japan and pushed it way further, you can go low with your body kits, they can go that low with frame.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/kharney83/ratsback1jpg.jpg
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp12/jdmcuz/IMG_0374.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2777/4324584406_4014645ca7_o.png

Oh and for anth:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UPyNmfV8hqM/TJ-QTBLOznI/AAAAAAAAAHc/2luzqPf16vY/s1600/Picture%201375.jpg

And if you like bodykit low, shit gets drifted as is.
http://fatlace.com/lacedup/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/RISKY-DEVIL-FC3S_2.jpg

BURST
13-11-10, 01:08 PM
This is of the first black car with the key:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/kharney83/IMG_4060.jpg

I'm not sure which car the 2nd shot is from. But the shot with the coin is Harry's Slamburglar NA. If you need rolling shots of that:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3325/4577155266_48c2d2d632_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3340/3666535199_63f5e3b3ae_b.jpg

Another rolling shot:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1278/4676925448_b94bc88313_b.jpg

This one doesn't have a front lip. With a oem front lip the front is the same lowness as the pinchwelds.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/matthewAPM/58312_1276257645869_1812836304_557810_1895211_n.jp g
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/matthewAPM/45438_463723793898_603293898_6351506_3529355_n.jpg

And again, these VIP cars may be lower kit wise, but I could bolt a sheet of metal or a diy lip to the front of my car and drag it along the ground all day long and be lower than all these VIP cars for your definition of low. Like such:
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af202/boxerpicker/IMG_0821.jpg
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af202/boxerpicker/IMG_0844.jpg
That car would hardly be considered slammed, as you can see the massive clearance to the pinch welds.

And I'm yet to see rolling shots of these VIP cars on static coilovers.

whyte
13-11-10, 01:53 PM
how the f&&& do they drive that low?
first speed hump they see it will just scrape the sh*t out of the lip or rip it off (also scrape the sh*t out of undercarriage)

looks hectic as but they've gone overboard on lowering their car lol
not really practical...

Jace.
13-11-10, 02:08 PM
not really practical...

You obviously haven't owned an MX5... The car's not exactly practical as standard!

ram
13-11-10, 05:12 PM
VIP > USDM always

Chewbacca
13-11-10, 05:15 PM
So now this threads turned into who has the lowest hairdressers car? WTF?

3AM nailed it, USDM showed people how to use excessive camber to fit wheels which are otherwise useless on a regualr car

clutch-monkey
13-11-10, 05:45 PM
And if you like bodykit low, shit gets drifted as is.
http://fatlace.com/lacedup/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/RISKY-DEVIL-FC3S_2.jpg

jesus how the hell does that work
as soon as you get sideways and some slight lean wouldn't it just catch on the ground?

HuH
13-11-10, 06:27 PM
This Porsche has fitment nailed.

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp268/Ryan_JL/Forums/tumblr_kp4ayzhz7N1qzeddyo1_500.jpg

wernz
13-11-10, 06:34 PM
Everyone has a different taste! Get over it..!!
Like what you like, simple.
IMO the first cars where created an built in USA so they win on the first ever fitment, stance, what ever you want to call it.
Hot rods, Race cars, Lowriders, Drag cars, Monster trucks all originated from there. The end!
Cars and motor sport will always be bigger there cause thats where all the money and oil is, simple.
Sure different countries created there own style but USA will always be the first, they created the Ford, the first ever production car.
Plus rods back in the 1930s etc, had fitment before all this business...
Like JDM
Like USDM
Get over it! :)

Gorilla
13-11-10, 06:53 PM
This Porsche has fitment nailed.

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp268/Ryan_JL/Forums/tumblr_kp4ayzhz7N1qzeddyo1_500.jpg

Agreed, this is perfect. All those "Miatas" are a joke. Fuck imagine a slight bump in the road, on the freeway doing 100km...recipe for disaster!

BURST
14-11-10, 12:51 AM
jesus how the hell does that work
as soon as you get sideways and some slight lean wouldn't it just catch on the ground?

Not sure about the sideskirt on that car, but the front bumper sits on the radiator support and can 'bounce' upwards if it hits a bump or anything.

Gorilla
14-11-10, 12:16 PM
I love how this is JDM STyle Tuning, and ppl are still using the word "Miata" hehe...MX5 or Roadster isnt it? Isnt Miata the American name?

BURST
14-11-10, 12:39 PM
We were talking about USDM in this thread, so the use of miata. :)

Wink
14-11-10, 12:56 PM
It's hilarious how using airbags is considered 'cheating' in the 'fitment game' :D

Does this 'game' have some kind of league ladder? Is 'Harry' the title holder at the moment? Can he unify the Hellaflush and Slamburglar titles in the Miata weight division?

philz
14-11-10, 01:11 PM
Using Airbags could be seen as cheating.. I would think of it as smart.

A slammed cars worst nightmare is a speed hump, if they could raise their car at that very moment... they would.

BURST
14-11-10, 01:31 PM
It's hilarious how using airbags is considered 'cheating' in the 'fitment game' :D

Does this 'game' have some kind of league ladder? Is 'Harry' the title holder at the moment? Can he unify the Hellaflush and Slamburglar titles in the Miata weight division?

I thought this was the same in the Japan VIP scene, hence why Ash stated that majority of VIP cars are static?

trism
14-11-10, 01:38 PM
Fuck it. I got over being that pretty quickly. i had my civic lowered pretty aggresively. The lowest point of the car was the exhaust, it sagged in the middle like a boss. i had it about 1cm off the road for quite a while, and then the lower control arms, subframe, sump were all about 3 or 4 cm. not as low as some of these cars, but man, every bump in the road, exhaust hit. couldnt go into multi level carparks coz id get beached on ramps, speed humps, didnt even think about it.

Ill go bags next time for sure

Alexx
14-11-10, 02:56 PM
I like nice wheel fitment. A simple way to make your car look nice.

I dislike stupidity. Seems like thats the way its gone/going. People are ruining their cars just to say that they run the widest wheel/lowest offset/lowest ride height.

perfect example is this - the car is now fucked.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4104/5059306416_b2cca7dc8e_o.jpg

UFO8MYCAT
14-11-10, 03:54 PM
I like where this thread is going.

:)

Miatas/mx5s running on tiny 13inch wheels, slammed on there lowest height = fail!

Mitchee
14-11-10, 05:28 PM
Ive deleted some posts from this thread. Anymore childish name calling over what is/isnt USDM/Stance/Fitment result in a holiday. Back on topic please...

BURST
14-11-10, 05:32 PM
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k448/rotaryhead17/4676310949_c821bbd05a_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4676910218_734b55d319_b.jpg

Here's some variety to offset my spamming of miatas. :)

Jace.
14-11-10, 06:22 PM
To me, VIP cars seem like they should be about comfort (but maybe I'm basing that off the name).
What's the Japanese consensus on Japanese VIP susp. set ups? Bag-overs, coil-overs, cut springs, or what?

That low, with such a long wheel-base... every rise and dip in the road would be a headache.
Do they do raised engines, reinforced sumps, raised control arm mounts and tie rod flips, tucked exhausts, frame notching, etc.; or is body-kit-low considered baller and tough?

Justin Fox
14-11-10, 06:39 PM
I'd go lower if I could. I've maxed out how low I could go on a fair few cars I've owned now (golf included). I'm pretty sure many of these cars sitting that low have had some pretty serious chassis modification be it notching frames or cutting and raising suspension mounts etc.

seventhskyline
14-11-10, 09:06 PM
Import culture in the US is now in it’s second generation. The first generation can be defined quite accurately by the scene outlined in the film, The Fast & The Furious. This glorified adage to import culture was heavily built upon the aspirations of many modifiers at the time. The scene there has come of age, and I would now say that the stateside import culture is in it’s second generation. The stance movement is firmly rooted in this second phase.

I agree with the rest, just wanted to clarify on this bit though.
Looking at my Petersens Complete Book of Japanese Import Cars from 1972, even then there was a burgeoning import modifying and tuning scene which in many ways would eclipse the homegrown one for enthusiasm and output. At that stage of the game, America was exporting knowledge and equipment back to Japan for them to use on their own cars! The import scenebeast in America has expanded and contracted and reinvented itself countless times.

[[d a n n y]]
14-11-10, 10:01 PM
Jap VIP was never my thing
i think it looks silly how the car looks like a hovercraft
with my lexus i tried to get to the lowest possible without destroying any of the ride comfort and body parts.
i do have stance but not hella flush stance.
once it gets to that kinda height it kinda defeats the purpose of being a car

PA70NG
15-11-10, 12:36 AM
45-50k spring rates?

wtf??

Oxer
15-11-10, 02:28 AM
Fuck it. I got over being that pretty quickly. i had my civic lowered pretty aggresively. The lowest point of the car was the exhaust, it sagged in the middle like a boss. i had it about 1cm off the road for quite a while, and then the lower control arms, subframe, sump were all about 3 or 4 cm. not as low as some of these cars, but man, every bump in the road, exhaust hit. couldnt go into multi level carparks coz id get beached on ramps, speed humps, didnt even think about it.

Ill go bags next time for sure

Remember my white ED? I pulled the rear muffler out after I was pulled over an the cop measured it at 3mm off the ground.. Eventually the rubber hanger before the axle let go and I drove it for a few weeks draging the exhaust before I tore it apart :)

This thread has turned into a penis measuring contest on who knows more then the next guy because of what they have "studied" on the internet and seen in magazines from japan. Im getting pretty tired of people taking all of this Bull shit way to seriously.

Just shut up, build your cars and fucking drive.

Oxer
15-11-10, 05:55 AM
Just to clarify,

My last post isnt directed at any one person. All I see on Aussie forums is utter nonsence and people getting upset over what another expert thinks is right. Since the creation of forums along with the internet, Everyone is an expert on any topic because they read about it on the net.

WHO GIVES A SHIET!

Again, Shut up, build your shit and drive.

Justin Fox
15-11-10, 10:30 AM
All I see on Aussie forums is utter nonsence and people getting upset over what another expert thinks is right. Since the creation of forums along with the internet, Everyone is an expert on any topic because they read about it on the net.

Spot on but this is a discussion thread ([ IV 23 VI ] maybe post your pictures here (http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?13740-CAR-STANCE-Aggressive-Wheel-Offsets)).

-EGA.2.90-
15-11-10, 10:42 AM

America in a nutshell.. They take something, flog the shit out of it, ride the wave till it dies in the ass. Then ditch it and move on to the next 'big thing'.

[ IV 23 VI ]
15-11-10, 10:59 AM
Spot on but this is a discussion thread ([ IV 23 VI ] maybe post your pictures here (http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?13740-CAR-STANCE-Aggressive-Wheel-Offsets)).

Sure thing!

Taz_
20-11-10, 09:57 AM
America in a nutshell.. They take something, flog the shit out of it, ride the wave till it dies in the ass. Then ditch it and move on to the next 'big thing'.

Pretty much. It gets commercialised to the max so they can sell merchandise to every man woman and child. It's been said before with drifting etc. Not so new, just popularised and spread all over the internet. Many influences from the Honda and VW scene along with Hot Rod and JDM scene all mixed together.

Meurz
24-11-10, 10:23 AM
I like nice wheel fitment.
I dislike stupidity.
This.

JDM-20L
24-11-10, 02:50 PM
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k448/rotaryhead17/4676310949_c821bbd05a_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4676910218_734b55d319_b.jpg

Here's some variety to offset my spamming of miatas. :)

Honestly .... close the fucking thread! that ^^ is GORGEOUS!

Karllos
15-12-10, 11:50 PM
These rims are on their way, Grey center not black :D

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn16/shoiie/24112010098copy.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn16/shoiie/24112010097.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn16/shoiie/24112010096.jpg

Oxer
25-12-10, 02:36 AM
This topic is pretty much dead as all that has been said is all that really needs to, but Im bored at work and its christmas, I feel inspired. :D

I've been working with the guys over at StanceWorks for the better part of 2010. Its amazing how many people argue/discuss this topic, and how many different interpretations/opinions there actually are..

I dont think any of the guys in the US claimed to be the first to 'create' the whole low offset 'wheel fitment' idea. There have been many who have claimed they have pushed the limits, which I dont argue with because quite a few cars that came out in the us in late '08 were rediculous compared to anything that had been seen previous. These days things are done to death... Every make and model has had a stick poked at it, and it actually takes a fair bit of work to make the guys in the US to take notice.

This to me is the begining of the end of the 'bandwagon' ride. back then you could do what I did, buy a car, throw parts on and wheels and break necks with pics on the net. Nowdays you have to put in effort to not only do that, but clean the car right up and make people who actually know what they are looking at to step back and take a closer look. The rust/rat fad has come and gone. 90% of the people who attempted this completely and utterly failed as it not only takes thought and logic to do it right, but it takes soul and passion to give it that feel that they all lacked; Enter Rusty.

April 27th, 2009

http://blankmediagroup.com/Pictures/Mike/E28-%20Rusty/shiny.jpg

Rusty has almost become the mascot of StanceWorks. Automatically people saw rust and thought "hell yeah Im gonna do that because its cool" Where as Mikes reasoning was, the car got damaged, let try something new and see what happens.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5031715026_741242a1e7_o.jpg

Now, a 1jz powered, roof choped, baged abomination. But Mike built it with full knowledge of his aim, and using techniques that were around for decades prior. Every other car that got the 'rat' treatment were simply immitations. You may be wondering why I am talking about this, But you'd be blind to not notice the amount of cars that were posted over the net from late '09 onwards. Generally, all out of the US.

Almost 80% of people believe that I built my civic cause I saw it as 'the cool thing to do', when in actual fact, I had all the parts from the hatch I was building. The 5stud DC2 type R suspension and brakes Ive had since '08, the wheels were purchased mid '09 as I still wasn't sure which wheel choice I wanted, untill I was pushed into getting the CCW's by a certain EG owner in qld and a team agentz member :rolleyes: :-o

I know, it was around mid '09 when the whole thing blew up in the US and on the net, hence why most people automatically throw me in the scene hopper category. I bought the red sedan in August this year, and threw it together with what I had. The reason it runs such rediculous camber is because its the only way I can get these wheels to sit where I want them. I never realised that the type r sus conversion widens your track by around 10mm either side, and its a bit late to return the wheels :lol:

It doesn't phase me one bit though, as I am building this car for me and I can adjust to things like that. Even when this so called 'fad' dies, and the next big thing comes along like everyone anticipates, Ill still be building my cars to house the widest posible wheels with the most dish I can possibly run. Which brings me to my next point.

The whole 'my car is lower' mentality. The whole scene has pretty much turned into a dick measuring contest. Ben from Stanceworks put pics of my car on the SW FB page, and people seemed to think that he was claiming my car is the lowest of its kind, while others didnt understand how I could get booked for too low(yanks have it easy, fellow aussies know how hard it is ;) ). I honestly could not care how low it is, The fitment is dialed in perfect (for the application) and I can still tackle speed humps! (yes, everything drags, no I dont get beached) But still I wont take multi level parking ramps etc.

But hey, at the end of the day, We are all going to say and think what we want to, that why humans never get along too well :lol:

Merry xmas people haha

The Stig
25-12-10, 09:47 AM
Cool speech bro, i have now taken intrest in your build thread :cool:

edit: do you have one for your EG?

Oxer
25-12-10, 05:36 PM
yep over at Stanceworks..

Jace.
25-12-10, 06:20 PM
I know what you're sayin'. My car has poke, and I need to lower it heaps to tuck tire to make it look good to my eyes.
Based on that, my car is "trying too hard to be American" where as I'm only really trying to make it retro.

If I could start over, I would do it the same. Perhaps the same wheels with a lower offset, wasn't even aiming for flush fitment. I'd rather tuck, but buying rare stuff you get what you're given (or trying to save a few bucks).

plAythiNG
26-12-10, 09:36 AM
Almost 80% of people believe that I built my civic cause I saw it as 'the cool thing to do', when in actual fact, I had all the parts from the hatch I was building. The 5stud DC2 type R suspension and brakes Ive had since '08, the wheels were purchased mid '09 as I still wasn't sure which wheel choice I wanted, untill I was pushed into getting the CCW's by a certain EG owner in qld and a team agentz member :rolleyes: :-o

I know, it was around mid '09 when the whole thing blew up in the US and on the net, hence why most people automatically throw me in the scene hopper category. I bought the red sedan in August this year, and threw it together with what I had. The reason it runs such rediculous camber is because its the only way I can get these wheels to sit where I want them. I never realised that the type r sus conversion widens your track by around 10mm either side, and its a bit late to return the wheels :lol:

Merry xmas people haha

Merry Christmas Oxer, but what I take from this post is that your trying to justify yourself saying you had all these parts ready to be put onto your car before the whole migration of hellaflush/lowoffset/poke/camber onto Australian roads. I dont really care what year people actually started going for more aggressive stance +and all that. As long as it looks appealing, i'll give them the thumbs up :).

On a side note the the whole USDM car culture. I think all these fads have died is becuase the way America markets it. The drift culture and now the helal flush style of wheel specs. for me personally, I think if its done perfectly, perfectly as I mean, its not too over the top. It will look timeless and will never die out - the problem i found with styles/culture. If its very very eye catching/outragoeous - it will gain attention quick, but it will lose it just as quick.

RILEY_J
26-12-10, 01:05 PM
i cant believe how one eyed the comments on the SW fb page were (i got my white knight on), i've been a lurker on there for a while now, some pretty rad stuff coming out of the states for sure

Oxer
26-12-10, 06:24 PM
Wasn't trying to justify what I have done, Just giving a little insight into how things came about as most automatically class my car as 'bandwagon' :)

black200
28-12-10, 01:54 AM
These rims are on their way, Grey center not black :D

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn16/shoiie/24112010098copy.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn16/shoiie/24112010097.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn16/shoiie/24112010096.jpg

That looks freekin awesome. I remember doing my internship at an ad agency years ago when they brought out a campaign for that car. The story goes that two crazed toyota mechanics broke into the workshop late at night over many months and secretly turbocharged a range of sportivos! It was a very cool campaign, never went to air, and since they didnt have youtube 10 years ago, went pretty much straight into the bin.

anyway.

this i agree with: Just shut up, build your cars and fucking drive.
I'm a fan of the eg, nice work bro

WhitEg
03-01-11, 09:46 PM
dont know about over seas. but id like to see those mx-5s and s2000 on our roads :O americans are insane fullstop!

SLO40Z
03-01-11, 09:55 PM
will be taking a dive ito this whole scene in the next year with a golf, but i really dont see how its much different to jdm? the lines are so blurred these days that we may as well just call it stance or fitment, because there is so much else encompassed within what people call usdm or jdm that its dumb to pigeonhole both styles

clorelli
06-01-11, 04:02 PM
don't get why individuals have a problem with the way the Americans style there cars. the stance and fitment thats you guys are talking about is something i don't see every day while i drive threw Los Angeles and San diegeo everyweek. whats left of the import culture in southern california are guys that have a true passion for there cars and they build them right no agressive camber or that hellaflush stuff. When i do go to the meets there maybe a few cars that have that kind of fitment but they aren't driven everyday they are usually towed in or if they are driven they aren't driving very long till the local sheriff gets them.

13-01-11, 03:05 PM
all the people saying "Its Stupid" you are wrooonnngggg.

Nothing is stupid if in someone elses eyes its cool, it wouldnt be so cool if it wasnt "stupid".

Also gotta thing, America's roads are nothing like our shitty australian roads, all of theres are smooth and running a car that low isnt an issue....

Iain
13-01-11, 10:19 PM
When i do go to the meets there maybe a few cars that have that kind of fitment but they aren't driven everyday they are usually towed in

This is what I dont fucking understand. whats the point in owning a car that you cant even drive it stupid and counter productive.

Oxer
14-01-11, 12:14 AM
This is what I dont fucking understand. whats the point in owning a car that you cant even drive it stupid and counter productive.

Thats like saying if you are passionate about body building and are using steroids which are illegal, it just should not be done.

People will do what they want to do, everyones passion lies somewhere different to your own, What I dont understand is why that seems to be such a big issue?!?

I built my car the way I wanted it, it drives fine and does all I want to do, but since the authorities dont like it I jump through hoops to be able to drive it like that. Otherpeople dont see the point in jumping through the hoops so they trailer it... Not a hard concept to wrap your head around.

Iain
14-01-11, 12:23 AM
Dont get your Body building reference// So you condone Steriods?

But all you are doing at the end the day is making a expensive paperweight

Oxer
14-01-11, 02:29 AM
I wouldn't use steroids personally, but if that is what is needed for a bodybuilder to reach his ideal size/goal, I have no problem with it.

At the end of the day, I will do what I want to do, you will do what you want to do, and another guy will do what he wants to do. I dont understand why people like yourself feel the need to question it or understand it? How hard is it to accept someone is doing something different no matter how silly it looks in your eyes?

Open your mind, I hate narrow minded people who only critisize, unconstructively to boot.

tez
14-01-11, 05:40 PM
What's with everyone praising US or Jap roads? Have you actually been overseas? Its all the same shit.

Tonba
31-01-11, 12:18 PM
"Tyres are like vaginas; the more stretched.. the less fun"

Something funny I read off a US forum..

Downshift
31-01-11, 12:40 PM
Someone point harris in the direction of this thread so he stops calling it Hellaflush.

Chewbacca
31-01-11, 06:49 PM
Nothing is stupid if in someone elses eyes its cool, it wouldnt be so cool if it wasnt "stupid".

Also gotta thing, America's roads are nothing like our shitty australian roads, all of theres are smooth and running a car that low isnt an issue....

American roads are balls in the majority of cases, have you ever been to the states? They run their cars that low for a few reasons which make it much more accesible than here - police there couldnt give 2 shits about a low car and secondly, knock off aero and even genuine aero is a butt load cheaper than any of the shit we get here so it doesn't matter too much if your Fbar eats the ground because a new entire BN knock off kit is about $300

And man that comment about stuff not being stupid if its cool in someones eyes, thats ridiculous - Pedophilia is awesome and cool to a dirt bag kiddy fiddlers eyes but that shit isn't cool at all, its fucked up. Justin Beiber is cool to millions of people so you're basically saying he's not a stupid sack of used douche.

What's with everyone praising US or Jap roads? Have you actually been overseas? Its all the same shit.

I agree with your comment about US roads but the majority of roads I witnessed in Japan are a crap load better than the ones we have to endure here.

I do like how the States do things though so I'm down for it all.. The only thing I dont like is using 7 degree's of camber to fit wheels and then taking photos of it in your garage and never driving it.

wernz
31-01-11, 07:06 PM
It's cool in my eyes...
How good is personal choice :)

wal32r
01-02-11, 01:01 PM
^ +1

Jace.
02-02-11, 09:48 PM
I've seen some dumb shit 'stanced', but this is ridiculous.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5012/5403683789_4cfe3d68c4_o.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5011/5403683413_e51154b952_o.jpg

broady
02-02-11, 09:53 PM
intercooler? is it boosted?

Jace.
02-02-11, 09:55 PM
Possible interfooler. I mean really, who boosts an odyssey?

Brucey
02-02-11, 10:02 PM
From the stancenation.com article, his wheel set up is

19◊12 (-100 offset) & 275/30/19 in the rear
19◊10 (-18 offset) & 215/35/18′s for the front
One off set off coil overs with spring rates well in the 30Kís.

Intercooler is for show atm since owner is in the process of getting a turbo kit fabricated

More info and photos here
http://www.stancenation.com/2011/01/31/100-odyssey/

Oxer
02-02-11, 11:05 PM
That is a completely different genre of car.

saad
02-02-11, 11:32 PM
whats the website called where you can look up a certain model of car, wheel size, offset etc, and it shows you member submitted photos? Its relevant to this topic

Wink
02-02-11, 11:36 PM
whats the website called where you can look up a certain model of car, wheel size, offset etc, and it shows you member submitted photos? Its relevant to this topic

http://www.rimtuck.com/

sidewayz
03-02-11, 12:24 AM
thankyou wink been trying to remember that website too.

saad
03-02-11, 01:02 AM
awesom thanks!

alex20l
04-02-11, 01:58 PM
odessy is nut

03DC5R
04-02-11, 11:58 PM
i have to admit, i was sucked into all this fitment/flushness bullshit...bought some aggressive wheels, fitted them on and i instantly regretted it! i mean yeh the car looked 1000x tougher, but the driving experience was rubbish! so i sold them and im now rolling on stockies :)

funny vid i found that has alot of valid points...(and im not bashing on oxer's civic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbm7zAFsp14

dlai
05-02-11, 12:27 AM
i have to admit, i was sucked into all this fitment/flushness bullshit...bought some aggressive wheels, fitted them on and i instantly regretted it! i mean yeh the car looked 1000x tougher, but the driving experience was rubbish! so i sold them and im now rolling on stockies :)

funny vid i found that has alot of valid points...(and im not bashing on oxer's civic)

Hey Fadi, in regards to your wheel statement...you give valid points but like at the moment I'm running on CE28's, and once I changed from stock rims to CE28's, the car felt much better. the steering was much light and turning felt easier. Although, it's not hella-flush lol but it feels awesome. Ever tried it? opinions?

03DC5R
05-02-11, 12:38 AM
what specs are your wheels though? mine were 18x9.5+30 (which is pretty aggressive for a dc5r)...im not saying all aftermarket wheels...im saying wheels with aggressive offsets

Oxer
05-02-11, 12:47 AM

Haha.. I turned it off half way through. I cant stand those stupid videos, especially when I know Im not going to get that 5 minutes of my life back.

The funniest part is that that video represents 95% of what people actually think, Which makes it hard for people like myself who are actually fabricating suspension and trying things to make the form function. Then again on the internet red is actually green and people wearing glasses are smart.

I know you werent bashing my civic, as I see through the bullshit ;)

BURST
05-02-11, 12:47 AM
Of course on stock wheels turn in, and responsiveness of the steering wheel is going to feel alot better. As the lower/more aggressive offset is going put more of a strain on the steering wheel as the weight is placed further out away from the body. Think of using a hammer with a metre handle vs a 30cm handle, the one with a one metre handle is going to less precise and require a bit more effort to use.

But in theory, the wider stance should give you more grip hence all the race-cars running wide bodies and aggressive wheels.

I know this isn't exactly related.

Oxer
05-02-11, 12:51 AM
BURST has a valid point...

Like I said, Some of us actually 'build' parts to make everything work together. + I dont mind a bit of a forearm workout haha.

03DC5R
05-02-11, 01:11 AM
Of course on stock wheels turn in, and responsiveness of the steering wheel is going to feel alot better. As the lower/more aggressive offset is going put more of a strain on the steering wheel as the weight is placed further out away from the body. Think of using a hammer with a metre handle vs a 30cm handle, the one with a one metre handle is going to less precise and require a bit more effort to use.

But in theory, the wider stance should give you more grip hence all the race-cars running wide bodies and aggressive wheels.

I know this isn't exactly related.

but my car isn't a race car...its a street car...and it's fwd and has 183fwkw...not exactly the easiest thing to steer. i get what you are trying to say and you're right in a way...but with my experience, even in a straight line, i had to hold on to the steering wheel for my life lol...was extreemly unpredictable.

BURST has a valid point...

Like I said, Some of us actually 'build' parts to make everything work together. + I dont mind a bit of a forearm workout haha.

what do you mean by 'build' parts? i have tein flex coilovers with camber arms front and rear...what else is needed to 'make everything work together'?

maybe you wouldn't feel the difference in a stock d series civic...but im sure you would if you chucked in a k20/24

BURST
05-02-11, 01:14 AM
I don't know if I'm exactly right, it's just my little understanding of it. Since putting stockies back onto my car (which sit in 4-5cms compared to my other wheels) I've also felt that turn in, and driving experience is alot nicer/easier.

And also, if the steering wheel is wanting to turn on a straight road, maybe something in the alignment is a bit off making it want to follow the little bumps and grooves on the road?

03DC5R
05-02-11, 02:05 AM
nope...allignment is spot on...cause on the stock wheels it drives perfectly straight.

Oxer
05-02-11, 02:22 AM
what do you mean by 'build' parts? i have tein flex coilovers with camber arms front and rear...what else is needed to 'make everything work together'?

maybe you wouldn't feel the difference in a stock d series civic...but im sure you would if you chucked in a k20/24

By 'build' I mean turn up custom top hats for the coilovers on a lathe, modify and fabricate control arms, rather then buy off the shelf camber 'kits'. Actually measuring the dimensions of the suspension and working out where parts move to under load, Gaining a real understanding of how the car will react. Ive been building suspensions for quite a while and I know that 9.5" wide wheels and stretched tires arent considered 'ideal' for performance, but thats the reason I go to extra lengths to experiment and make it work.

As for your car wandering on the road, I would suggest wheel alignment also. My car at roughly -6.3 all round never wandered. I could take my hands off the wheel and not have to worry. I have something special lined up for later on this year that will make a lot of people broaden their views, but knowing the internet as well as I do, People will give me hell over it.

Either way, how many people pay for coilovers only to modify them?

Oxer
05-02-11, 02:25 AM
nope...allignment is spot on...cause on the stock wheels it drives perfectly straight.

That isnt exactly true. What are the tire specs on the stock wheels? The is probably less air pressure in them, and being a different tire/compound, they will react to the road surface differently. When there is that tiny amount of 'play' it can sometimes compensate for an alignment that isnt 100%

When running wider tires/wheels etc, there isn't that 'play', hence the car wanting to 'track' on uneven surfaces. Most cars will react differently on unever/bumpy surfaces regardless.

03DC5R
05-02-11, 02:45 AM
By 'build' I mean turn up custom top hats for the coilovers on a lathe, modify and fabricate control arms, rather then buy off the shelf camber 'kits'. Actually measuring the dimensions of the suspension and working out where parts move to under load, Gaining a real understanding of how the car will react. Ive been building suspensions for quite a while and I know that 9.5" wide wheels and stretched tires arent considered 'ideal' for performance, but thats the reason I go to extra lengths to experiment and make it work.

As for your car wandering on the road, I would suggest wheel alignment also. My car at roughly -6.3 all round never wandered. I could take my hands off the wheel and not have to worry. I have something special lined up for later on this year that will make a lot of people broaden their views, but knowing the internet as well as I do, People will give me hell over it.

Either way, how many people pay for coilovers only to modify them?

but why go through all that trouble just to get a certain "look" when really it's not needed? props to you for going through all that trouble, but for me, i would rather enjoy driving my car rather than have people point at it and admire it.

and again, it's not about the allignment, because even after an allignment (and i actually watch the guys align my car to my specs) it still wandered and strayed. the tyres fitted to the 9.5" wheels were a 245/40...so not so stretched. end of the day each to their own.

Oxer
05-02-11, 02:54 AM
but why go through all that trouble just to get a certain "look" when really it's not needed? props to you for going through all that trouble, but for me, i would rather enjoy driving my car rather than have people point at it and admire it.

and again, it's not about the allignment, because even after an allignment (and i actually watch the guys align my car to my specs) it still wandered and strayed. the tyres fitted to the 9.5" wheels were a 245/40...so not so stretched. end of the day each to their own.

Why do people get up in the morning and do their hair? Why do people wear a specific style of clothing? Why is the sky blue? :)

I enjoy driving my car day in and day out, just as you. Sure the authorities dont like it when its slammed on the ccw's, but Im still driving it in stock form.

As for your car 'straying' I am at a loss, cant diagnose that ish on the internet. :) Meh.

03DC5R
05-02-11, 01:29 PM
Why do people get up in the morning and do their hair? Why do people wear a specific style of clothing? Why is the sky blue? :)

I enjoy driving my car day in and day out, just as you. Sure the authorities dont like it when its slammed on the ccw's, but Im still driving it in stock form.

As for your car 'straying' I am at a loss, cant diagnose that ish on the internet. :) Meh.

look, each to their own at the end of the day. you like to look "good", and i like to drive my car and enjoy it on a twisty road, or on the drag strip. thats what i built my car for.

oh and this straying is common on all dc5's with aggressive wheels, i researched the fuk out of it to try and make my car drive nicely when i had those wheels on it...but according to my research, i had to spend another couple of grand on sussy to make it drive ok...that's just not worth it in my eyes...would rather put the money towards performance parts, instead of wank factor.

Oxer
06-02-11, 12:53 AM
It would seem that you cant wrap your head around the fact not all of us do it for 'wank' factor.

Thats like saying that the only reason you bought the wide wheels was to fit in to the "hip" new fad, couldnt make it work for both a form and function application, so you didnt pursue it due to the extra "couple grand".

Out of curiosity, what suspension parts did you need to buy to make it handle?

03DC5R
06-02-11, 03:19 AM
i actually bought the wider wider wheels to aid with traction...and to make the car look tougher (at least i had the performance to go with the look). To make it work, had to take out the tie rods and get them to an engineering shop to get them to add more thread, purchase PCI spherical bearings and offset bushings, roll centre adjusters, inverted tie rod ends, front guards needed to be flared (cause i didn't want to run more than -2 camber at the front cause i wanted as much tire contact to the ground as possible). Just too much of a headache really...wasn't worth the effort or the cost involved...thats my opinion anyway...like i said, each to their own.

03DC5R
06-02-11, 03:23 AM
oh and about the wank factor comment...why else do you do it? You obviously dont need 9'' wheels on a stock civic...you're obviousely just doing it for looks...

Aces
06-02-11, 04:21 AM
The whole idea is ridiculous. Your not accepted on jdm unless your car is running coilovers completely wound down with 0 offset wheels and stretched tyres. At meets I've seen people putting their fingers between complete strangers cars to see the gap between the tyre and gaurd. Wtf is wrong with everyone that wants their wheels to be flush with the body, it may look cool but the money that you spend on the suspension mods, gaurd modifications and over priced wheels that everyone else has is stupid. It will look cool but handle worse with oversize wheels and lowering the car to the ground.
This whole concept pisses me off because no one cares about or talks about anything but this shit. There's a big lump of neglected metal under that big lid at the front of your car and would be better off with the 2k being spent on it than making your car wheels flush with the body to impress everyone on this website.
I can't be bothered saying anything else because I know I am the only one person who has this opinion, each to their own I guess, but it's still fucking stupid

BURST
06-02-11, 04:59 AM
Not sure what your talking about, cos theres plenty of people who don't give a bee's dick about fitment on this forum. And there are plenty of awesome cars that aren't exactly 'hellaflush' on here.

Oxer
06-02-11, 05:37 AM
oh and about the wank factor comment...why else do you do it? You obviously dont need 9'' wheels on a stock civic...you're obviousely just doing it for looks...

I did it because I think it looks good. Not because I wanted to make everyone who drives past it stop and say "wtf". I wouldnt exactly call it a "Stock" civic either, sure it doesnt have much more then the stock 86kw, but just cause I havent poured thousands of dollars into the engine doesnt mean that I dont have performance in mind.

The whole idea is ridiculous. Your not accepted on jdm unless your car is running coilovers completely wound down with 0 offset wheels and stretched tyres. At meets I've seen people putting their fingers between complete strangers cars to see the gap between the tyre and gaurd. Wtf is wrong with everyone that wants their wheels to be flush with the body, it may look cool but the money that you spend on the suspension mods, gaurd modifications and over priced wheels that everyone else has is stupid. It will look cool but handle worse with oversize wheels and lowering the car to the ground.
This whole concept pisses me off because no one cares about or talks about anything but this shit. There's a big lump of neglected metal under that big lid at the front of your car and would be better off with the 2k being spent on it than making your car wheels flush with the body to impress everyone on this website.
I can't be bothered saying anything else because I know I am the only one person who has this opinion, each to their own I guess, but it's still fucking stupid

Not sure what your talking about, cos theres plenty of people who don't give a bee's dick about fitment on this forum. And there are plenty of awesome cars that aren't exactly 'hellaflush' on here.

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif

trism
06-02-11, 08:51 AM
Go to Summernats, and have a look in the Elite judging hall.

Those cars have upwards of 150 thousand dollars spent on them, they have thousands of hours in bodywork alone, have huge engines that make 800hp, but they never get driven. When they arent at shows, they sit in a garage, in a bubble, and the only time they get driven is on and off the trailer.

Do you walk up to them and call then stupid because they spend all that money on something so pointless? No you dont. But why do they do it? Because they want to. Because they enjoy building cars. They like having a car that people can admire. And its more than just a paint job and some rims. These cars Have things done to them that you wouldnt even notice until the builder pointed them out.

They dont get driven in anger, and nobody seems to give a shit. Noone rants on and on about it on an internet forum, for spending the equivalent of a Nissan GTR on an old Falcon that sits in the garage. Not all cars need to be built for "the touge" and thats whats wrong with the "import" car scene. People cant accept that not every single car on the planet has to be made to go around the racetrack, or do a hill climb, or even go fast in a straight line for 400m.

Some people just want to do what the car was originally intended for, and drive around on the road, at the speed limit, going from place to place.

So why is it that when someone spends a couple of grand on some wheels and suspension, then spends a bit of time trying to get it to fit, and work, they get ridiculed and ripped on, saying the car is pointless, and dumb, and a waste of time.

From what ive seen, he drives it on the road, uses it as his daily, more than those people in the Elite hall at summernats can say.

03DC5R
06-02-11, 10:52 AM
i have never been to summernats nor will i ever go! I don't really appreciate show cars either. I'm not ripping into anyone, and i stated that before. Im simply voicing my opinion and sharing my experience, and like i said in my last posts...everyone to their own...

trism
06-02-11, 12:57 PM
That post wasnt directly aimed at you, more just a general "why cant people just appreciate anything that has had some work put into it" sorta post.

03DC5R
06-02-11, 01:47 PM
ah fair enough mate...but there's still nothing wrong withe people voicing their opinions.

Oxer
07-02-11, 12:27 AM
ah fair enough mate...but there's still nothing wrong withe people voicing their opinions.

Thats a fair comment, but voicing the same opinion repeatedly can get old ;)

One of the best examples of a fitment minded performance build. All done by the owner, drive by passion, not by what the cool crowd is doing.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/Blt2lay/IMG_0300.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/Blt2lay/IMG_0297.jpg

Downshift
07-02-11, 12:58 AM

Those cars have upwards of 150 thousand dollars spent on them, they have thousands of hours in bodywork alone, have huge engines that make 800hp, but they never get driven. When they arent at shows, they sit in a garage, in a bubble, and the only time they get driven is on and off the trailer.

Do you walk up to them and call then stupid because they spend all that money on something so pointless? No you dont. But why do they do it? Because they want to. Because they enjoy building cars. They like having a car that people can admire. And its more than just a paint job and some rims. These cars Have things done to them that you wouldnt even notice until the builder pointed them out.

They dont get driven in anger, and nobody seems to give a shit. Noone rants on and on about it on an internet forum, for spending the equivalent of a Nissan GTR on an old Falcon that sits in the garage. Not all cars need to be built for "the touge" and thats whats wrong with the "import" car scene. People cant accept that not every single car on the planet has to be made to go around the racetrack, or do a hill climb, or even go fast in a straight line for 400m.

Some people just want to do what the car was originally intended for, and drive around on the road, at the speed limit, going from place to place.

So why is it that when someone spends a couple of grand on some wheels and suspension, then spends a bit of time trying to get it to fit, and work, they get ridiculed and ripped on, saying the car is pointless, and dumb, and a waste of time.

From what ive seen, he drives it on the road, uses it as his daily, more than those people in the Elite hall at summernats can say.

I would like to applaud this man on posting what I know myself and Oxer have both been thinking. Seriously I am fucking sick of hearing about Touge, or mountain runs, I am also sick of hearing Stance being called "Hellaflush" and people saying that cars are only ever Stanced because it is the new 'fad'. 03DC5R is it really, genuinely that hard to believe that there are people who legit like that look on cars, do not wish to drive their car in anger and just like to roll around hardslammed?

What you think is merely people sheeping the scene, is actually peoples passion.

[ IV 23 VI ]
07-02-11, 01:11 AM
Thats a fair comment, but voicing the same opinion repeatedly can get old ;)

One of the best examples of a fitment minded performance build. All done by the owner, drive by passion, not by what the cool crowd is doing.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/Blt2lay/IMG_0300.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/Blt2lay/IMG_0297.jpg

Damn when I first opened this page I thought that car had been fire bombed? lol

dlai
07-02-11, 01:32 AM
AUDM, JDM, USDM... Everyone is to their own cultures. Just like there are asian cultures, western culture, indian cultures, italian cultures etc.
In the end, it is based on one's self opinion.

So for 03DC5R and OXER:
I drive on CE28's, 17x7.5 +33. It may not be super flush, but it sticks out more the norm and on it's way. But, I can tell you now, steering/controlling/stability performance is a lot better due to lightwheels and width (although, not so much). Hence, we have.. NOT 'HELLAFLUSH' nor stock, but perfect performancing wheels in my opinion.

03DC5R
07-02-11, 01:37 AM
I would like to applaud this man on posting what I know myself and Oxer have both been thinking. Seriously I am fucking sick of hearing about Touge, or mountain runs, I am also sick of hearing Stance being called "Hellaflush" and people saying that cars are only ever Stanced because it is the new 'fad'. 03DC5R is it really, genuinely that hard to believe that there are people who legit like that look on cars, do not wish to drive their car in anger and just like to roll around hardslammed?

What you think is merely people sheeping the scene, is actually peoples passion.

go back and read through my posts...not once did i say i hate that look...i think it looks good...however i stated MY experience with aggressive wheels...and through my experience they make the car drive like a pig. end of story. again...MY car is a PERFORMACE car, and is all about the driving experience. right now, it looks like every other integra on the road rolling on stockies, but it puts the biggest smile on my face when i get into it and take it for a drive...you guys took everything i said out of context and took it personally as if i was attacking your cars...when i clearly stated that i wasn't talking about anyone's car.

Oxer
07-02-11, 03:18 AM
;872162']Damn when I first opened this page I thought that car had been fire bombed? lol

Stanceworks build section > The GreenGoblin build thread.

go back and read through my posts...not once did i say i hate that look...i think it looks good...however i stated MY experience with aggressive wheels...and through my experience they make the car drive like a pig. end of story. again...MY car is a PERFORMACE car, and is all about the driving experience. right now, it looks like every other integra on the road rolling on stockies, but it puts the biggest smile on my face when i get into it and take it for a drive...you guys took everything i said out of context and took it personally as if i was attacking your cars...when i clearly stated that i wasn't talking about anyone's car.

I never took anything out of context. ;)

You have shared you opinion, which is fine, but a discussion is meant to be about a topic, not one persons opinion, hence why I put Goblins car in here, to change the topic of discussion away from your car :)

Also, I believe Downshift was reffering to you asking Why people would build a car in this style... which I can quote if you like?

but why go through all that trouble just to get a certain "look" when really it's not needed?

look, each to their own at the end of the day. you like to look "good", and i like to drive my car and enjoy it on a twisty road, or on the drag strip. thats what i built my car for.

BURST
07-02-11, 11:27 PM
Slammed!

woosh
07-02-11, 11:34 PM
Ah fudge it, thread already took a dive a few pages ago...

Kelly was referring to this beauty!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5126/5219243011_d8692e9ef2_b.jpg

RA23GT
07-02-11, 11:43 PM
so many people need to chill and remember we're all here on common grounds :)

BURST
07-02-11, 11:52 PM
Haha, made my post look silly.

anth
17-02-11, 10:26 AM
oh shit...

http://jdmego.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/img_0359.jpg

Alexx
17-02-11, 12:43 PM
lol! I do find its a bit like that these days..

Oxer
18-02-11, 06:09 AM
if anyone is coming to the vic drift matsui, StanceWorks will be having a little stall there with a few of our cars... Unfortuantely, only non fakers will be attending though.

vaynardx
25-02-11, 07:54 PM
the g35 fitment is truly amazing

JebusMPS
30-03-11, 11:31 PM
Not sure how on topic this is but i saw the trolly post and thought i might chuck in a little funny one haha

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1370/25043yc.jpg

SUPER34
30-03-11, 11:55 PM

completely agree and all for the stance.

Woodzy
31-03-11, 12:01 AM
Not sure how on topic this is but i saw the trolly post and thought i might chuck in a little funny one haha

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1370/25043yc.jpg
Already done this to my lawnmower lol, check on spam few hundred pages back

Oxer
31-03-11, 12:40 AM
Would be more at home in the oni camber thread :P

UFO8MYCAT
14-04-11, 10:10 PM
hahha funny clip I found on youtube

'Hellaflush.. I don't care'

S-BGIcRBPHM

[ IV 23 VI ]
15-04-11, 10:37 AM
hahaha "Hellaflush" I DONT CARE, cos I get all the bitch's, lmao

Oxer
16-04-11, 12:39 AM

S-BGIcRBPHM

zomgroflmmfaololcats.

It still amazes me how old that vid is and how many people still post it as if its just been released.

plAythiNG
16-04-11, 08:43 AM
Sorry u seen it first mr stance.

UFO8MYCAT
16-04-11, 08:46 AM
lol good one alex

Oxer
17-04-11, 01:58 AM
Sorry u seen it first mr stance.

u jelly?

FKD-LAW
22-05-11, 11:52 PM
Im building my car hellaflush. U' mad Brah?

B16TYM
13-07-11, 01:27 PM
For me I didn't really get the whole Stance thing. It seemed like it would b a passing craze. I recently went to the 2nd Stancework meet in melb. It changed my whole perspective on the scene. It was amazing. So many different cars, new school, old skool, turbo, na, race, drift, Jap, German, p platers, middle ages dudes.

It brought everyone together in the one place. So many quality cars and people united by a common love of porno wheels with perfect fitment, offset and camber.

It was really great. I can't wait to start my next project so I can try my hand at building a "stanced" car.

munchhunch
13-07-11, 01:41 PM
CSB... and you mention of "perfect fitment" is quite subjective

but kudos to you for giving it a go

FAIL
13-07-11, 02:54 PM
wow a lot of people really didn't read or understand the first post by the looks of some of the replies, my interpretation of what you said was that the US didn't start the whole stance movement, they have helped bring it to the masses by making it a mainstream culture.....

Snoop G
14-07-11, 07:10 AM
For me I didn't really get the whole Stance thing. It seemed like it would b a passing craze. I recently went to the 2nd Stancework meet in melb. It changed my whole perspective on the scene. It was amazing. So many different cars, new school, old skool, turbo, na, race, drift, Jap, German, p platers, middle ages dudes.

It brought everyone together in the one place. So many quality cars and people united by a common love of porno wheels with perfect fitment, offset and camber.

It was really great. I can't wait to start my next project so I can try my hand at building a "stanced" car.
w0Rd!

Im all for the USDM scene ... bigtime.
Honda's over there is a big thing.
So much so a daily driven 10-11sec buzz box is common.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi-tbr9155E
They are the ones to pioneer the step for K swaps which has now changed the N/A game right across the world. With various companies engineering engine mounts to not only do K but now J's hahahah [EVIL LAUGH]

not to mention
Big meets , so many cars.

Stang
16-08-11, 10:38 AM
I don't get the whole roof rack + bike thing. Sure it works visually on a few cars, but it doesn't make sense...

best guy
16-08-11, 10:48 AM
what's the deal with airplane food?

mark.
16-08-11, 12:30 PM
i rate wheel fitment, I don't see why there needs to be a division in terms of it being good / bad / not useable etc...

for the most part in these type of discussions I find that the blokes that do "hills runs" (etc) seem to be the most one eyed.
why is it that if a car can't clock a PB on the way to work it is deemed useless?
my cars low, not terribly impractical, but I still enjoy it for what I built it for, cruising around.

i rekon there needs to be more unity within the car scene, the stanceworks melbourne meet a prime example, it was awesome to have so many makes and models in one area for everyone to appreciate.

rayray086
16-08-11, 01:11 PM
Agreed, Mark.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/rayray086/Random/19201200_dkpumped.jpg

Aleks.B
16-08-11, 05:19 PM
People need to understand that we all love cars, different people have different tastes, they do their cars up how THEY want to not on what others tell them to do, so what if someone has mexican offset, they like it thats all that matters if you dont like it keep it to yourself and dont look at the car, like mark said there needs to be more unity in the car scene.

Justin Fox
16-08-11, 05:25 PM
I think when you're at the meets, people appreciate. It's the keyboard warriors that hate.

Just look at the VW forums out there, so so so full of haters. They hate hard on their own kind if cars aren't low enough etc etc.

We get some of this, some of that on JDMST, but overall I've never seen someone hate hard on a car at a meet and there's definitely a whole lot of diversity at JDMST meets, ever since 2005.

Aleks.B
16-08-11, 09:10 PM
As I said we all need to unite as car lovers and appreciate each others cars, and if not keep it to yourself.

Munchy
16-08-11, 09:12 PM

S-BGIcRBPHM

BAHAHAHAHA that is too funny!

cobby
16-08-11, 09:50 PM
not sure if this has been said before but, has anyone ever considered this an art form of modifying, and not performance orientated whatsoever?

I'm sure all the guys that build cars purely for stance understand that their car won't perform well on a race track. I'm sure they understand that the level of safety is reduced dramatically with excessive amounts of camber. I'm sure they get that side of the argument. But if this was their goal when they built the car, why would they have gone about it the way they did?

I see the "usdm/hellaflush" scene as completely performance unrelated. because let's be honest, the closest thing to "hellaflush" you ever see on the track is usually the street/drift car.

ehh, my 2c.

rob 240
16-08-11, 10:26 PM
As I said we all need to unite as car lovers and appreciate each others cars, and if not keep it to yourself.

pretty much .

i'm not really into the stance thing as i track and want the best cornering but the commonality is enjoying cars . and respecting what others enjoy about thier cars .

love going to motorex and seeing the love and the art put into the cars , the muscle cars there and then autosalon with some blinged rice cars and the hectic turbos . pop out to the time attack or the V8s - all can be great to watch and appreciate .

its all good

phukt
17-08-11, 01:30 AM
Agreed, Mark.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/rayray086/Random/19201200_dkpumped.jpg

mixed reactions and feelings running through me, unable to portray how i feel when i look at this picture

Justin Fox
17-08-11, 09:11 AM
How things have changed.

From Speedhunters in 2008: http://speedhunters.com/archive/2008/11/03/random-snap-gt-gt-s13-on-ce28n.aspx

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Jacco%20Willemsen/Random%20Shots/642S13Ce28n.jpg

The wheels are a set of Volk Racing CE28n, just look at the fitment in the rear, that's close to perfection right?
-Jeroen Willemsen

Aleks.B
17-08-11, 02:16 PM
pretty much .

i'm not really into the stance thing as i track and want the best cornering but the commonality is enjoying cars . and respecting what others enjoy about thier cars .

love going to motorex and seeing the love and the art put into the cars , the muscle cars there and then autosalon with some blinged rice cars and the hectic turbos . pop out to the time attack or the V8s - all can be great to watch and appreciate .

its all good

Well done sir, you are right.

Just appreciate what people have done to their cars and dont tell them what they should do its their car! and if you dont like it click/look away.

Babalouie
17-08-11, 02:35 PM
How things have changed.

Good fitment in the past has meant:

1995: 2 finger gap between tyre and wheelarch
2000: 1 finger gap between tyre and wheelarch
2004: OMG you need to roll your guards to fit those wheels
2006: OMGWTF the guards will have to be pulled too
2010: If your wheelarch isn't all mangled with paint flaking off then you're doing it wrong
2011: Wheelarch must wear a 6mm groove in your tyre

Justin Fox
17-08-11, 02:55 PM
LOL pretty much Babs.

phukt
17-08-11, 04:52 PM
^^spot on, you ommited 2012: world ends

[[d a n n y]]
17-08-11, 05:02 PM
having a lowered car with big wheels and stretched tyres
i dont think ill do it again or go any extreme
there just so much pain driving it around

phukt
17-08-11, 05:12 PM
^^ too true, car ends up being a garage queen and australian roads arent thebest to saytheleast

Babalouie
17-08-11, 05:18 PM
^^spot on, you ommited 2012: world ends

No, in 2012 the standard will be that the wheel rim has to rub on your wheelarches, so that when you drive it throws sparks off the wheelarches.

Seriously.

munchhunch
17-08-11, 06:40 PM
Bring brack full size tyres on wide rims, flush with the guard, get that time attack look going =)

cobby
17-08-11, 07:33 PM
Bring brack full size tyres on wide rims, flush with the guard, get that time attack look going =)

+1!

there's a thought for the hellaflush boys, rock the same fitment with semis and square sidewalls, none of this stretch business.

edit: i know that's not what you meant, but it would be an interesting look for them to run with their camber settings with a track tire haha

Justin Fox
18-08-11, 09:10 AM
http://vimeo.com/26981523

Just wondering, how do they get the video footage SO DAMN SHARP!!!!! Crispy as fuck.

JDM-20L
18-08-11, 09:53 AM
You people can hate all you like....

But fuck me that looks like a fun meeting!

butterz
18-08-11, 01:56 PM
Agree with 20L that meet makes me want to head over to the states just to experience the atmosphere of the event.

KEV248
18-08-11, 02:30 PM
http://vimeo.com/26981523

Just wondering, how do they get the video footage SO DAMN SHARP!!!!! Crispy as fuck.

HD video editing at its best...

and we need meets like that here!!

Justin Fox
18-08-11, 02:30 PM
http://vimeo.com/21693388

Also cool :)

Modified
18-08-11, 04:32 PM
This is my favourite meet to date I think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbCso5WzO5Y

trism
18-08-11, 08:45 PM
not sure if this has been said before but, has anyone ever considered this an art form of modifying, and not performance orientated whatsoever?

I'm sure all the guys that build cars purely for stance understand that their car won't perform well on a race track. I'm sure they understand that the level of safety is reduced dramatically with excessive amounts of camber. I'm sure they get that side of the argument. But if this was their goal when they built the car, why would they have gone about it the way they did?

I see the "usdm/hellaflush" scene as completely performance unrelated. because let's be honest, the closest thing to "hellaflush" you ever see on the track is usually the street/drift car.

ehh, my 2c.

Yeah, ive brought it up before. No one seems to hate on all the street machine/hot rod/muscle car guys that spend 200 grand on a car that sits in a bubble in teh garage, and only gets brought out to get put in a trailer, taken to a show, wheeled out, put on display under lights for 3 days, then back onto the trailer, and home again.

Even when these cars have motors that make in excess of 1500 horsepower, but never get driven in anger.

But when somebody posts up a civic with a bit too much camber, and some crazy low or negative offset, and riding 3cm off the ground static, people crack the shits and say "thats fucking ridiculous, how can you even drive like that"

At least these guys are actually driving the cars around, using them nearly daily.

And same goes for sex spec. Im getting tired of all the "oh noes 20 inch chromes on an rx7/silvia/wrx/etc its a sports car and theyve gone and ruined it" These guys are driving the cars theyve dropped 100k into, not letting be trailer queens who dont come out of the garage.

But the worst part is people who whinge about so called "fake wheels" like rota.
1. these wheels arent fake, they arent claming to be something they arent. They simply draw upon the design of other popular wheels.
2. Not everyone has the cash flow to drop 5k on a set of genuine volk/rays/work/etc. When youre a uni student with a part time job, and you just want a set of decent wheels for your car, theres nothing wrong with buying rotas.

No, in 2012 the standard will be that the wheel rim has to rub on your wheelarches, so that when you drive it throws sparks off the wheelarches.

Seriously.

lol. do want to see this.

Aleks.B
18-08-11, 09:33 PM
Yeah, ive brought it up before. No one seems to hate on all the street machine/hot rod/muscle car guys that spend 200 grand on a car that sits in a bubble in teh garage, and only gets brought out to get put in a trailer, taken to a show, wheeled out, put on display under lights for 3 days, then back onto the trailer, and home again.

Even when these cars have motors that make in excess of 1500 horsepower, but never get driven in anger.

But when somebody posts up a civic with a bit too much camber, and some crazy low or negative offset, and riding 3cm off the ground static, people crack the shits and say "thats fucking ridiculous, how can you even drive like that"

At least these guys are actually driving the cars around, using them nearly daily.

And same goes for sex spec. Im getting tired of all the "oh noes 20 inch chromes on an rx7/silvia/wrx/etc its a sports car and theyve gone and ruined it" These guys are driving the cars theyve dropped 100k into, not letting be trailer queens who dont come out of the garage.

But the worst part is people who whinge about so called "fake wheels" like rota.
1. these wheels arent fake, they arent claming to be something they arent. They simply draw upon the design of other popular wheels.
2. Not everyone has the cash flow to drop 5k on a set of genuine volk/rays/work/etc. When youre a uni student with a part time job, and you just want a set of decent wheels for your car, theres nothing wrong with buying rotas.

Well said.

Darmanin
19-08-11, 08:36 PM

on the money, fuk the haters

plAythiNG
19-08-11, 08:50 PM
Agreed Trism.

g
20-08-11, 08:03 PM

oooh shiittttttttt. i dont know about you guys but this reminds me of MLKJ's "i have a dream" speech...

estblshd
21-08-11, 02:29 AM
Well said. Nothing wrong with the so called "fake wheels" ei rotas, xxr or varrstoens however its wrong to buy these wheels them claim it is the real thing by either running your mouth or chucking volk, ssr or work stickers on them.

Vanbolten
21-08-11, 12:11 PM
With all the Hating of air bags, doesn't it seem like the answer? some people have gone on about the fact that running low off set slammed cars is destroying them, some call it balls, other stupidity. but wouldn't you rather the "hard parked" look when its Actually parked? and the survivability of your undercarriage when you are driving? Maybe im not getting it.... but doesn't it seem better to spend the money than loose your car, i know how attached to my car i am...

I should also ad, that im not against slamming your cars and driving it like that, its your car, it really is up to you. id rather drive something i like rather than something someone else has told me how it should look.

B16TYM
21-08-11, 07:46 PM
http://vimeo.com/21693388

Also cool :)

Awesome video, great editing. We need a great meet like that in Melb.... some one ogranise please. :)

estblshd
21-08-11, 11:21 PM
There has been. But unfortunately the camera that held all the mad footage got stolen by some fuckwit

best guy
21-08-11, 11:25 PM

Hey man which wheels cost $5k from Work? In 2009 when I was working full time I bought brand new 3 piece Meisters in 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 through Jesse and they were no where near 5k... And they have got to be one of, if not the most expensive wheels Work makes right?

In 2011 Work wheels start at between $1400 and 1600 delivered to Australia in 17x9+ in wide and 'low' offset, brand new (Emotion series). Enkei wheels start at just under $1200 delivered for similar sizes, brand new.

Rotas are a cheap, easy, lazy option and in my opinion (a poor, barely employed uni student now actually haha) the finished product reflects this. Sure the names they give them aren't fake, but almost all of the designs are.

With entry level wheels available from quality manufacturers for such good prices I would always take that little extra time to send a few emails, do a little research and then wait a few weeks for shipping rather than get impatient and go for a company like Rota who couldn't give two shits about what they are doing to the industry we (or maybe it's just me?) digs so much. Personally I could never have pride in my car if it proudly displayed wheels of a brand which is sucking the life out of the industry with zero interest in anything other than the next quarterly statement, or at least trying too.

Am I the only one who can at least consider implications beyond my own (for whatever reason) 'need' for wheels NOW by any means necessary?

Also man just one last thing, with 2000+ posts you surely knew (or could at least have assumed) that "Volk/Rays/Work" wheels are not all $5k? Did you not know this or did you go with the biggest figure you could guesstimate for their top of the line, forged 3 piece wheels to try and make all brand name wheels (of all tiers of cost) seem prohibitively expensive? Because if it's the latter then maybe you gotta think about what you're real motivation is here man? I don't feel like comparing a flagship model forged, 3 piece Japanese made and assembled wheel to a single piece, cast, Chinese made item on the basis of cost is truly fair - they don't even nearly exist in the same market. The aforementioned Emotion series however, do.

fully no offense or nothing, don't mistake any of these for fighting words

munchhunch
22-08-11, 12:40 AM
Hey man which wheels cost $5k from Work? In 2009 when I was working full time I bought brand new 3 piece Meisters in 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 through Jesse and they were no where near 5k... And they have got to be one of, if not the most expensive wheels Work makes right?

In 2011 Work wheels start at between $1400 and 1600 delivered to Australia in 17x9+ in wide and 'low' offset, brand new (Emotion series). Enkei wheels start at just under $1200 delivered for similar sizes, brand new.

Rotas are a cheap, easy, lazy option and in my opinion (a poor, barely employed uni student now actually haha) the finished product reflects this. Sure the names they give them aren't fake, but almost all of the designs are.

With entry level wheels available from quality manufacturers for such good prices I would always take that little extra time to send a few emails, do a little research and then wait a few weeks for shipping rather than get impatient and go for a company like Rota who couldn't give two shits about what they are doing to the industry we (or maybe it's just me?) digs so much. Personally I could never have pride in my car if it proudly displayed wheels of a brand which is sucking the life out of the industry with zero interest in anything other than the next quarterly statement, or at least trying too.

Am I the only one who can at least consider implications beyond my own (for whatever reason) 'need' for wheels NOW by any means necessary?

Also man just one last thing, with 2000+ posts you surely knew (or could at least have assumed) that "Volk/Rays/Work" wheels are not all $5k? Did you not know this or did you go with the biggest figure you could guesstimate for their top of the line, forged 3 piece wheels to try and make all brand name wheels (of all tiers of cost) seem prohibitively expensive? Because if it's the latter then maybe you gotta think about what you're real motivation is here man? I don't feel like comparing a flagship model forged, 3 piece Japanese made and assembled wheel to a single piece, cast, Chinese made item on the basis of cost is truly fair - they don't even nearly exist in the same market. The aforementioned Emotion series however, do.

fully no offense or nothing, don't mistake any of these for fighting words

seriously.... best guy

harris
27-08-11, 12:51 PM
The difference is that the hot rods and street machines are quality cars with build quality not just some 92 model civic with mangled gaurds and the wrong sized wheels.

BURST
27-08-11, 01:30 PM
The difference is that the hot rods and street machines are quality cars with build quality not just some 92 model civic with mangled gaurds and the wrong sized wheels.

Some USDM styled cars have build quality that will challenge cars from any scene, and the USDM scene ain't just made up of 92 civics with mangled guards, kiddo.

harris
27-08-11, 01:42 PM
Some do, but it's usually just buy a car like a 350z, buy wheels suspension and camber kit then compare it to custom built hot rods when people say they don't get the point behind it.

I don't mind a bit of stretch and fitment I just think it's over hyped.

Oxer
01-09-11, 06:47 PM

I really appreciate it Chris, and Im glad you made it out on the day to support what we are trying to achieve.

ehh, my 2c.

Thats one thing is annoying, when people insist that camber + stretched tires = unsafe. If you know the limits of your car/dont drive like an idiot, those two factors should never compramise saftey. Its when people think stretch tires are meant to be run on 26 psi that issues occur.

+1!

there's a thought for the hellaflush boys, rock the same fitment with semis and square sidewalls, none of this stretch business.

edit: i know that's not what you meant, but it would be an interesting look for them to run with their camber settings with a track tire haha

There are many people already doing this :) Its nothing new ;)

Agree with 20L that meet makes me want to head over to the states just to experience the atmosphere of the event.

I spent the last month in the US traveling around going to various show and workshops meeting some of the biggest industy leaders in the automotive scene. All I can say is the US is a completely different ball game to Australia..

Matt, you and I see eye to eye on everything when it comes to the automotive scene, but that last part of your post makes no sence.

I have found many wheels on Yahoo Japan for < $150. Its not hard to find some jems in the rough and refurbing them. Not only that, but when done can set you apart from the crowd.

Anyone who buys "fake wheels" with "Mad tyte offsets" isnt trying hard enough and are just trying to ride the "cool" wave.

The difference is that Hot rods are a completely different culture, with the same factors creating each culture.

Some do, but it's usually just buy a car like a 350z, buy wheels suspension and camber kit then compare it to custom built hot rods when people say they don't get the point behind it.

I don't mind a bit of stretch and fitment I just think it's over hyped.

This sentence makes no sence, but I know what you are trying to say.

If you read the thread title, it has the word 'culture' in it. Although completely different techniques are used to build a hot rod compared to a drift car, the underlying goal of creating something you love and enjoy, whilst spitting in the face of conventional automotive enthusiasts is what ties the scenes together. These days hot rodding is more about the restoration of the bodies, so perhaps you would think of the 'rat rod' scene having similar motives to what we do.

Harris, you are one of those people who criticize things on the internet due to face value, you are oblivious to anything behind the motives of a car builder. But hey, the internet is a wonderful place of ignorance.

HuH
01-09-11, 09:19 PM
How's the new tatt going, Oxer? ;) Welcome home.

cobby
01-09-11, 09:46 PM
I'm looking at buying some Sportmax XXR 527's for the Mx5 because I like the look of them and how an Mx5 looks on them. I'm not trying to be different with these wheels because that would be stupid. I'm not trying to be a bandwagon jumper either. I want to buy these purely as a street wheel, where my car won't be pushed to it's limit, or anywhere near for that matter. Because I'm aiming the Mx5 in the direction of a street/track car, with more usage on the street, I feel that as long as the wheel is going to be capable of gentle daily duties and I'm happy with it's appearance, there's no reason why I can't use it as a wheel for the street. Should I be looking at this differently? The way I see it, plenty of people run bob jane chromies/RJR's/advanti's without these wheels being the sole cause accidents and what not, and as long as cheap wheels aren't used for anything other than street/skid wheels then they should be okay? The only reason I'd be looking for lightweight wheels for the street would be in a desperate chase of better fuel economy or ride quality. Neither of those are an issue for me. Also, running cheaper wheels, it would be far easier to replace individuals should I hit a pot hole and buckle one.
That's my perception of cheap/imitation wheels; for suitable applications only.

Bearing in mind I'll be putting in a lot more of an effort to find better quality 2nd hand wheels (work/wedssport/watanabe/ssr/equivelant) for track use.

Oxer
01-09-11, 11:00 PM
How's the new tatt going, Oxer? ;) Welcome home.

Itchy as a mofucker! Haha...

good to be home, but Im already counting down the days until I go back... possibility of a one way ticket is high.

I'm looking at buying some Sportmax XXR 527's for the Mx5 because...

<snip>

....find better quality 2nd hand wheels (work/wedssport/watanabe/ssr/equivelant) for track use.

I dont see the point in justifying a purchase that I make on the internet.

There are plenty of people who buy fake/rep wheels... Only when I see their car, I look at it once then move on. Where as if someone puts the time/effort into refurbing a set of old/rare jap wheels for their car, I will look more then once. I may even have a chat with the owner about what they have done because to me, they have put the effort into their car more so then buying an off the shelf item. A passionate car enthusiast can see dedication in what one does.

Then again, the internet is a magical land where people abuse others and would never say anything to ones face.

Oxer
01-09-11, 11:09 PM
Haha, I have a Junction Produce wallet. I have all my styles mixed up.

Jimmy_HR32
01-09-11, 11:25 PM
There are plenty of people who buy fake/rep wheels... Only when I see their car, I look at it once then move on. Where as if someone puts the time/effort into refurbing a set of old/rare jap wheels for their car, I will look more then once.

You worded this awesomely.

Babalouie
01-09-11, 11:39 PM
Haha, I have a Junction Produce wallet. I have all my styles mixed up.

Hows the fitment on your wallet tho? Does it go right to the edge of the pocket? Does it stick out a little bit at the top?

These things matter you know

Oxer
02-09-11, 07:48 AM
Hows the fitment on your wallet tho? Does it go right to the edge of the pocket? Does it stick out a little bit at the top?

These things matter you know

It's suprisingly big, I guess Jap VIP's need such large wallets to carry all their cash.

In saying that, it gives my pockets a nice amount of stretch.

cobby
02-09-11, 10:22 AM
There are plenty of people who buy fake/rep wheels... Only when I see their car, I look at it once then move on. Where as if someone puts the time/effort into refurbing a set of old/rare jap wheels for their car, I will look more then once. I may even have a chat with the owner about what they have done because to me, they have put the effort into their car more so then buying an off the shelf item. A passionate car enthusiast can see dedication in what one does.

Hmmm, this has got me thinking. Before I go and lash out (lol, because I'm so baller...) on new xxr's I might spend a night or two browsing yahoo auctions first, to see if i can find something I like.

Not that I mind if other people don't like how my car looks, but it would be nice if my work was appreciated. Suggestions for an NA? I've Watanabes in mind for track wheels, but if I can find the right wheels for the street I would be pretty happy. Perhaps buying a pair of xxr's for skid rims?

I'm pretty sure I just went against 90% of my post last night...

cardsy
02-09-11, 10:31 AM

Seriously.

Or better yet, rub on the bloke in the lane next to yours guards!

Oxer
02-09-11, 06:45 PM
Hmmm, this has got me thinking. Before I go and lash out (lol, because I'm so baller...) on new xxr's I might spend a night or two browsing yahoo auctions first, to see if i can find something I like.

Not that I mind if other people don't like how my car looks, but it would be nice if my work was appreciated. Suggestions for an NA? I've Watanabes in mind for track wheels, but if I can find the right wheels for the street I would be pretty happy. Perhaps buying a pair of xxr's for skid rims?

I'm pretty sure I just went against 90% of my post last night...

Anything 14"-15" can look amazing on an mx5. I had a set of SSR MKII that I sold to Dennis who is on here, the offsets werent crazy, but with some spacing, they looked great. They were also cheaper then a set of xxr's and didnt even need refinishing.

Oxer
02-09-11, 06:48 PM
The car, for reffrence.

http://carmitted.com/wp-content/gallery/2011-april-jdmst-eomm/2011_april_jdmst_eomm_013.jpg

cobby
03-09-11, 12:36 AM
That looks awesome. If I can keep that ^ in mind, searching on yahoo auctions should teach me a bit of patience and hopefully less impulse buying.

S13_King
07-09-11, 01:47 PM
Back to some pics....

JZX100 Chaser

18x9 +15 215/35/18
18x10 +15 215/45/18

Rear guards have been flared out 8mm

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp349/dirtydre_2008/chaser.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp349/dirtydre_2008/wheels.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp349/dirtydre_2008/sidemirror.png

Snoop G
19-09-11, 10:18 AM
http://www.d-series.org/forums/signaturepics/sigpic9897_7.gif
hella flush we are waiting for you.

estblshd
22-09-11, 12:29 AM
You will be waiting a very long time buddy.

Oxer
22-09-11, 10:11 AM
Not really, "Hella flush" will die..... "Fitment enthusiats" such as us will be around for quite a long time.

KEV248
22-09-11, 05:13 PM
http://www.d-series.org/forums/signaturepics/sigpic9897_7.gif
hella flush we are waiting for you.

replace the hellaflush with sexspec then cover it, its already dead LOL!!!

neni
22-09-11, 06:04 PM
You will be waiting a very long time buddy.

thissss

Kazzae
22-09-11, 08:43 PM
Waiting to take hellaflush to the next level.

With old school open wheeler racers.

And "Murdered Out" is dead.

And +1 to Fitment enthusiast

estblshd
23-09-11, 01:37 AM
Not really, "Hella flush" will die..... "Fitment enthusiats" such as us will be around for quite a long time.

Never thought about wording it like that ox. I meant what you stated above. "Fitment enthusiasts" ==> Nice.

KEV248
23-09-11, 09:56 AM

this...this right here...is the defination of a true enthusiast!!

Couldnít have said it better myselfÖ100% correct!

harris
23-09-11, 01:46 PM
Trends come and go.

I bet people were saying veilside kits will never go out of fashion in the early 90s aswell.

Just saying.

Oxer
23-09-11, 01:50 PM
I know guys still running veilside kits.

Just saying.

Biggie
23-09-11, 03:59 PM

http://www.rotawheels.com/wheelcatalog.asp

name the god damm brand wheels.

hawkeye
23-09-11, 04:17 PM
@trism:
There is something wrong with giving money to companies who rip off other peoples designs. If everyone who could afford Rays etc bought them well okay but the thing is that a lot of people will buy inferior quality wheels because they are cheap, so not only do they rip off a company that works bloody hard they also put peoples lives at risk, same goes for the shit house bob jane specials.

So yeah don't buy rota, buy 2nd hand good wheels if you cant afford straight from the factory in Jland.
Btw if you are a uni student with a part time job is cars and modifying really a good use of money? just roll stock for a bit and when you get the cash do it right. or you will regret it...

WIL70S
24-09-11, 02:37 PM
@trism:
There is something wrong with giving money to companies who rip off other peoples designs. If everyone who could afford Rays etc bought them well okay but the thing is that a lot of people will buy inferior quality wheels because they are cheap, so not only do they rip off a company that works bloody hard they also put peoples lives at risk, same goes for the shit house bob jane specials.

So yeah don't buy rota, buy 2nd hand good wheels if you cant afford straight from the factory in Jland.
Btw if you are a uni student with a part time job is cars and modifying really a good use of money? just roll stock for a bit and when you get the cash do it right. or you will regret it...

how many accidents are ACTUALLY caused by failed rims?

errmm i have not heard of any, stop using the 'putting people's lives at risk' excuse as this is just an easy way out..you are putting people's lives at risk every time you hop into your car and drive..

not everyone gives a shit about if they're wheels are 'fake' or 'real.' its their personal preference..people have different priorities and situations..
also these 'fake' wheels have BRAND NAMES then they're obviously not FAKE!

hawkeye
24-09-11, 03:14 PM
fkn sigh...

your right not everyone cares, but that doesn't make it right, put bullshit wheels on your car because you are too fucking cheap to buy the real thing or even 2nd hand wheels and I will laugh at you.

BURST
24-09-11, 03:56 PM
I really don't think 2nd hand wheels, that have endured 10-15 years of usage will be much safer than brand new wheels fake or not.

BURST
24-09-11, 04:04 PM
Trends come and go.

I bet people were saying veilside kits will never go out of fashion in the early 90s aswell.

Just saying.

Trends do come and go, but USDM/fitment/hellaflush isn't a trend. It's a whole new way of modifying which has originated from the volkswagen scene, but a culture of its own. There are trends within the culture which have come and gone, roof racks are an example.

Blake-2234
25-09-11, 12:35 PM
wheels are wheels they go round and round

deal with it..

jaayy
25-09-11, 01:16 PM
fkn lol at people telling other people how they should spend their money.

i couldnt care less what rims you roll on, fake, real, one piece, three piece. i'd rather watch someone go out and track/drift on their "shitty rippoff" rotas then watch someone hardpark with their $5000 cherry blossoms

estblshd
25-09-11, 08:49 PM
Trends do come and go, but USDM/fitment/hellaflush isn't a trend. It's a whole new way of modifying which has originated from the volkswagen scene, but a culture of its own. There are trends within the culture which have come and gone, roof racks are an example.

this^^^

Oxer
26-09-11, 10:10 AM

i couldnt care less what rims you roll on, fake, real, one piece, three piece. i'd rather watch someone go out and track/drift on their "shitty rippoff" rotas then watch someone hardpark with their $5000 cherry blossoms

If they were real sakuras, I would have a heart attack.

vyets
26-09-11, 12:54 PM

really? caus drifters have been doing this for years

FRpilot
26-09-11, 01:10 PM
look just relax..

some ppl just taking it too seriously

Oxer
26-09-11, 02:45 PM
really? caus drifters have been doing this for years

that doesnt make sence LOL

look just relax..

some ppl just taking it too seriously

All I see is people discussing a topic, on a forum, which is what they are here for. :)

Chewbacca
26-09-11, 06:09 PM
Love how everything to do with any form of discussion goes back to real vs fake wheels.

For the people saying - 'I want decent wheels on my car but can't afford them' - Why do you need wheels RIGHT NOW, what's wrong with waiting an extra 3,4,5,6 months and buying awesome real wheels? Sure you might not get reach arounds from a bunch of internet nobody's at a meet next weekend but at least you're not fueling a company(s) that steals the designs of manufacturers who have employed teams of people to come up with these designs and then in 6 months time you'll get all the cats who wanna touch your junk and be all in your space cos you're a mad **** because you're repping sweet wheels opposed to Rota Grids with TE37 stickers.

I understand heaps of you wanna be sweet posers and get people eyeballing your shit at the macca's car park and you also wanna be snappin' necks when you cruise through your hood but honestly, everyone's gonna snap their necks and go home and touch themselves heaps more if you buy real shit.. Just sayin'

Mattio
26-09-11, 06:11 PM
how many accidents are ACTUALLY caused by failed rims?

errmm i have not heard of any, stop using the 'putting people's lives at risk' excuse as this is just an easy way out..you are putting people's lives at risk every time you hop into your car and drive..

not everyone gives a shit about if they're wheels are 'fake' or 'real.' its their personal preference..people have different priorities and situations..
also these 'fake' wheels have BRAND NAMES then they're obviously not FAKE!

Just gonna put this here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJeFB6SRslk

R&D comes to mind, so does the word metallurgy

dwankaa
26-09-11, 06:14 PM
i've noticed this whole fitment/hella flush/stanceworks thing has sort of gone into the direction i hope i would never see since 'koya drift teks' days as opposed to the U.S and UK.

after reading blogs on stanceworks for the past 2 years, its not just about how low a car is with fat wheels. its the work and passion that goes into the guard work, forking out a ridiculous amount of money for wheels that are scarce on a street/track driven car. its not a cheap process to fit big scarce genuine size/wheels on a car with virgin guards, whatever the cars purpose is. its the annoyance of getting defected every few months, then getting it back on the road in the same state it got taken off. not giving a fuck about your exhaust when it smashes the ground, dragging it over speed bumps. having a laugh when you and your mates are shooting sparks all over the place cause your all laying rails.

when someone tells me that they're buying some 'rip off' wheels or i see someone rolling on them, i just think its another low car with aggressive wheels and not 'stanced'. it gets on my nerves when people complain about scraping their lip, or scraping their exhaust, not wanting to crack you paint on the guards (because metal guards are impossible respray), you either deal with it or raise it. its like a drifter complaining about how much tires he has goes through, how much money his poured into setting it up- its all part of the business. in my opinion the term 'stanceworks' is getting used out of its context waaaay too much.

as cliche as this may sound "low is a lifestyle".

Oxer
27-09-11, 08:58 AM
Love how everything to do with any form of discussion goes back to real vs fake wheels.

For the people saying - 'I want decent wheels on my car but can't afford them' - Why do you need wheels RIGHT NOW, what's wrong with waiting an extra 3,4,5,6 months and buying awesome real wheels? Sure you might not get reach arounds from a bunch of internet nobody's at a meet next weekend but at least you're not fueling a company(s) that steals the designs of manufacturers who have employed teams of people to come up with these designs and then in 6 months time you'll get all the cats who wanna touch your junk and be all in your space cos you're a mad **** because you're repping sweet wheels opposed to Rota Grids with TE37 stickers.

I understand heaps of you wanna be sweet posers and get people eyeballing your shit at the macca's car park and you also wanna be snappin' necks when you cruise through your hood but honestly, everyone's gonna snap their necks and go home and touch themselves heaps more if you buy real shit.. Just sayin'

I want to have your babies.

i've noticed this whole fitment/hella flush/stanceworks thing has sort of gone into the direction i hope i would never see since 'koya drift teks' days as opposed to the U.S and UK.

after reading blogs on stanceworks for the past 2 years, its not just about how low a car is with fat wheels. its the work and passion that goes into the guard work, forking out a ridiculous amount of money for wheels that are scarce on a street/track driven car. its not a cheap process to fit big scarce genuine size/wheels on a car with virgin guards, whatever the cars purpose is. its the annoyance of getting defected every few months, then getting it back on the road in the same state it got taken off. not giving a fuck about your exhaust when it smashes the ground, dragging it over speed bumps. having a laugh when you and your mates are shooting sparks all over the place cause your all laying rails.

when someone tells me that they're buying some 'rip off' wheels or i see someone rolling on them, i just think its another low car with aggressive wheels and not 'stanced'. it gets on my nerves when people complain about scraping their lip, or scraping their exhaust, not wanting to crack you paint on the guards (because metal guards are impossible respray), you either deal with it or raise it. its like a drifter complaining about how much tires he has goes through, how much money his poured into setting it up- its all part of the business. in my opinion the term 'stanceworks' is getting used out of its context waaaay too much.

as cliche as this may sound "low is a lifestyle".

Dwayne, Stanceworks isnt a term haha.... <3 :D

dwankaa
27-09-11, 10:51 AM
Bahaha god dammit Oxer, shit was deep LOL

vyets
29-09-11, 09:27 AM
that doesnt make sence LOL

as in street drifters in japan have been stretching tyres for ages now.

Oxer
29-09-11, 11:45 AM
Read what you quoted, then read what you wrote... He didnt mention stretch anywhere lol...

The euro scene has been around just as long as the driftrs in japan, if not longer... But as you know yourself, fitment/stance isnt all about stretch.

harris
29-09-11, 01:44 PM
Even lowriders stretch tyres as back in the day they wanted less rolling diameter to get the cars to sit close to the ground. It's nothing new.

http://image.automotive.com/f/events/10391405+pheader/lrmp_0809_01_z+tampa_lowrider_show+1964_chevrolet_ impala.jpg

cobby
30-09-11, 06:53 AM

I'd rather watch someone track/drift on their $5000 sakuras than watch someone hardpark on them.

harris
30-09-11, 10:08 AM
I don't know about that... Sakuras are too collectable.. I'd be devo if something happened to a mint set.

clutch-monkey
30-09-11, 03:10 PM
I don't know about that... Sakuras are too collectable.. I'd be devo if something happened to a mint set.

they are fuck ugly imo, +1 to having them used. it's a goddamn wheel at the end of the day, lol.

best guy
30-09-11, 03:15 PM
not dissing anything or anyone, but 'hellaflush' is a trend in every sense of the word

and one that's huge right now