PDA

View Full Version : touring Japan, home of JDMST

71DATO
10-02-11, 05:42 PM
hi all,

me and missus are looking to visit japan late this year or early next year.

want to check out all the usual like drift events, wrecking yards, food, bullet train, history, culture etc etc.

also want to visit an aussie guy in tokyo who just sells 510 parts on ebay (yes i have a problem :mrgreen:)

wanted to post this thread to get advice from ppl who have already been to japan.

- who to book through (agent or online)
- places to stay (best value)
- where the drifting events, motorsport shops, drag strips, wreckers etc are
- best way to get around
- best way to communicate. books, electronic translators etc

any more info i havent mentioned would be appreciated.

wernz told me a few if you are going to the ebitsu drift festival in november. if ur thinking of going pm me and maybe a group booking for hotels etc can be done. or if theres any more posts like this.

Chewbacca
10-02-11, 06:56 PM
Book online - Jetstar for flights, Buy a JR railpass and you can book tickets on the Shinkansen (bullet train) online also, think it saves you $$$
Hotels - again, online, depends if you want a Ramakin with futons & floor beds n shit (spelling?) or a proper hotel, all the 'B' group of hotels offer really good accomodation for a cheap price. I stayed in the 'B' Akasaka and it was pretty reasonable for the rate $130 a night - 2x beds and second time I went, I stayed in the 'B' Roppongi, $135 a night, 2x double beds and a large room. Try Wotif.com as well as typing in Japan accomodation yields good results.
Events - Check the D1 website for drift events but considering Tsuchiya and Inada are starting a new series, you might want to keep an eye out for that, I cant rally be more specific about event timing but I remember drift.jp used to be a good site to use, not sure if its updated anymore? For shops, type in what you're looking for an use google translator. I think I might have a list of shops somewhere but plan where you wanna go and find out if they're open when you plan to go as alot of shops in Japan don't open 9-5, more like 12-7 and they seem to have random days off.. I travelled to Top Secret one day and they were fucking closed as were 2x upgarages on like a wednesday. Don't expect much English in these places, especially wreckers and don't just rock up hoping to find something, know what you're looking for otherwise people will be a bit pushy and all like 'you've got no fucking clue dude'. Be prepared to walk, not just walk a few minutes, be prepared to walk anywhere up to an hour or two.
Getting around - Trains, trains, trains, trains and did I mention trains + a bit of walking, also, trains. Trains?
Communicating - learn a bit of basic JP before you go like please, thank you, beer, one, two, three, four - you'll get by pretty easily pointing at stuff and making strange hand gestures etc, you'd be surprised how helpful and friendly people are and how many people are prepared to help you and decipher shit for you.

Don't go to Roppongi, its full of strip joints and expensive booze
Don't expect to eat much beef whatsoever unless you're paying a crapload
Take heaps of cash
Take heaps of Cash
Take a shitload of cash
Don't be frightened to try things
Take heaps of cash
Be prepared to spend more than you envisaged
Go to Shibuya 109, the 6th and 7th floor (iirc) have awesome mens clothes, your missus will go mental on the other 5 floors
Go to Tokyu Hands
Go to Donke/ Don/ Don Quixote
Buy a BB gun or seven
Drink Sake warm
Don't be afraid to carry sizeable amounts of cash on you, you wont get jacked or rolled or jumped and ATM's which take AU cards are pretty much only at 7-11
If you go around december/January/feb, its fucking cold. Be prepared, its super fucking cold
If you're going out at night time, either be prepared to bail home at like midnight or party till 5am, trains stop at 12:30ish and restart at 5am-ish
Go to Mos Burger, it fucking rocks
Get dark glasses for daytime becuase there's heaps of J-chicks who wear tiny skirts and you'll want to be perving harder than a pedo at a playground so its more insurance to make sure your missus doesn't get all sandy vagina on you.

71DATO
10-02-11, 07:26 PM
lmao, thanks for the info.

i have heard from many ppl that its fkn expensive, but should be better now with stronger au dollar??

good tip with wreckers, dont wanna be walking (again) for miles with an inlet manifold strapped to my bag.

i enjoy the cold, i dont sweat and cars perform better, so will look to go autum time i suppose.

btw, i already scored a bb gun from russia. its a 9mm beretta replica, full metal, gas powered, and it fkn hurts :D

Jays14
10-02-11, 07:36 PM
Get dark glasses for daytime becuase there's heaps of J-chicks who wear tiny skirts and you'll want to be perving harder than a pedo at a playground so its more insurance to make sure your missus doesn't get all sandy vagina on you. Best part about japan, defently the country of mini skirts... :)

Jays14
10-02-11, 07:45 PM
lmao, thanks for the info.

i have heard from many ppl that its fkn expensive, but should be better now with stronger au dollar??

good tip with wreckers, dont wanna be walking (again) for miles with an inlet manifold strapped to my bag.

i enjoy the cold, i dont sweat and cars perform better, so will look to go autum time i suppose.
I found japan was not that exspensive, every one says japan is but it isnt...

Your going to have to do heaps of walking dude, i think i only found nismo omori, a super autobaks and tomie and a up garage or 2 close to a train station...
Most things are a mad mission but there so worth it, like if you catch a train to chiba there is a up garage, cryistle (sick car shop) and top secret all together but its like a 3 hour round trip but seeing cars from years of video and pics at top secret in real life is so worth the epic walk, and race traks arnt that easy to get too...

Where you going in japan just tokyo ?

71DATO
10-02-11, 07:58 PM
the last round of D1 GP is in autum. november 12/13.

dont want to go in summer, prefer the cooler weather if im gonna be doing shits loads of walking.

would like to chat to you guys on the phone, pm me ur number if you want to.

DAS KAMU
10-02-11, 08:50 PM
Buy a BB gun or seven

only if you have a friend who has Japanese i.d

Don't go to Roppongi, its full of strip joints and expensive booze

i second that but walk through there and get harassed every 5 steps buy a black man the size of the guy from the green mile

Chewbacca
10-02-11, 08:56 PM
RE: the BB gun thing, I bought 4 of them from Don Quixote with absolutely no hassles. dissasembled two of them, declared the outer casing (the bit that looked like a gun) at JP customs, they put a special tag on my bag and I got them through no hassles.

I tried talking to German to one of the big black dudes after becoming wise to it, the sneaker fucker came back at me straight away with a proper response in German, those fuckers are prepared and dedicated.

71DATO
10-02-11, 11:11 PM
screw the bb guns, i wanna buy a live lobster and a beer out of these vending machines i keep hearing about haha

Subiedoo
11-02-11, 11:28 AM
Actually Accomodation is expensive unless you are too familiar in Japan there are heaps of cheap accomodations tho Good time to go summer beside from cherry blossoms hehehehe you know what i mean . . . .cheers!

Wink
11-02-11, 12:02 PM
Go to Shibuya 109, the 6th and 7th floor (iirc) have awesome mens clothes, your missus will go mental on the other 5 floors
That's 109-2

109 is all girls clothing.

Chewbacca
11-02-11, 12:09 PM
That's 109-2

109 is all girls clothing.

That could totally explain why the fly/zipper is so small on a certain pair of pants I own :lol: :oops:

Does 109-2 have 7 floors also? I can't remember if I went into the lifts directly fronting the crossing or the one just up from it...

Szemen
11-02-11, 12:55 PM
Buy a BB gun or seven

But you can't get it past customs into Australia :( So whats the point?

edit: nvm....You already answered it on the above post.
edit 2: No you didn't :P My question still remains. Did you have problem with aussie customs?

Chewbacca
11-02-11, 01:23 PM
But you can't get it past customs into Australia :( So whats the point?

edit: nvm....You already answered it on the above post.
edit 2: No you didn't :P My question still remains. Did you have problem with aussie customs?

No problem whatsoever with Aussie customs.. The tag the JP customs put on it must have sufficed

Even if you couldnt get it past Aussie customs, getting drunk on canned beer and Sake and then going on a shooting spree in your hotel is something everyone must try at least once

DAS KAMU
11-02-11, 05:14 PM
Juyoh hotel in minami senju is my choice of places to stay google it and check it out

llama_au
11-02-11, 08:04 PM
If you're staying mostly in Tokyo the Japan Rail pass is an absolute waste of money seeing as it isn't useable on the subway lines, which you will use most. I always use this place to book accomodation: http://www.japanhotel.net/ and I stayed here last time: http://www.thehotel.co.jp/en/sutton_ueno/ which is in a perfect spot for accessing all of Tokyo (and a train straight from Narita airport goes to this station.)

Bang A Dang
11-02-11, 08:16 PM
i spent $5000 for everything in 3 weeks
tickets, food, accomodation, transit, rides, theme parks, gifts, booze, sex toys, you name it

not expensive at all, just know where to eat and stay

71DATO
12-02-11, 06:52 AM
did you buy the sex toys from a vending machine?!

keep the tips coming, the more i know, the less i get ripped off

71DATO
12-02-11, 07:36 AM
and I stayed here last time: [url]http://www.thehotel.co.jp/en/sutton_ueno)

thats a nice hotel. not expsensive either! woohoo!

llama_au
12-02-11, 10:28 AM
Very conveniant location, lots of restaurants and the Ueno market close by. I'd stay there again. Rooms are slightly bigger than average by Japanese standards and cheap. Staff were very nice.

71DATO
12-02-11, 06:53 PM
how far is the hotel from tokyo cbd?

how common is english? did they speak basics at the hotel?

llama_au
12-02-11, 07:05 PM
Depends what you classify as the CBD. If you classify it as Tokyo station it's about a 10-15 minute train ride on the JR Yamanote Line or Ginza Subway Line. This is the most useful train map you'll need: http://wojandra.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/tokyo-subway-map.gif

They spoke pretty good English at the hotel. Not everyone speaks much English, the older generation seem to speak more English than the younger generation.

It's a little difficult to locate the first time you walk there from the station but it's easy once you remember.

71DATO
12-02-11, 11:20 PM
wow thats a full on map.

i'd classify tokyo cbd as the common scenes you see in movies with big buildings, lots of flashing lights and brand names

AE092
13-02-11, 12:13 AM
Question for you guys, are more car related and tuning shops closer to Osaka or Tokyo? I've been to Japan but that was in '03 on a school exchange program and only remember Osaka being slightly better, Tokyo was more CBD based?

Looking at doing pretty much what 71DATO is and azn_envazn, damn you did good!

71DATO
13-02-11, 05:22 AM
aeo92... check out this link. think it might answer your question, and then some. i've already emailed them, i'll let you know what their response is.

http://www.jdmgarage.com.au/tours

Jays14
13-02-11, 09:05 AM
Question for you guys, are more car related and tuning shops closer to Osaka or Tokyo? I've been to Japan but that was in '03 on a school exchange program and only remember Osaka being slightly better, Tokyo was more CBD based?

Looking at doing pretty much what 71DATO is and azn_envazn, damn you did good!
I found more in tokyo, but there is a fair bit in both...

aeo92... check out this link. think it might answer your question, and then some. i've already emailed them, i'll let you know what their response is.

http://www.jdmgarage.com.au/tours

Yeah you can do that but i found half the fun was finding these places and getting to them...

Jays14
13-02-11, 09:12 AM
i spent $5000 for everything in 3 weeks
tickets, food, accomodation, transit, rides, theme parks, gifts, booze, sex toys, you name it

not expensive at all, just know where to eat and stay

Yeah defiantly not expensive at all, every one that hasn't been thinks it is but its not.

It cost me and the wife about $100 a day to eat and drink, some days more some days less (depends how much beer we bought ;) ) and $100 is good when you think that 2 or 3 meals a day for 2 people...

We budgeted $10k all up for every thing for 2 weeks there but we also spent a fair bit on rims, turbo and a few other car parts. So you could get away with a lot less cash...

sinista
13-02-11, 10:43 AM
Oh one of the best things I did when I was there was go to a sumo wrestling tournament...UNREAL
Also if you heading with your misses Disneyland is worth checking out in the bay. Def go and eat at one of the 'fast food' places where you have to wait for a seat you sit down then eat as quick as you can so the next guy can have your seat, its about $3 a meal and is just rice and thinly sliced beef but its nice and def worth the experience. Also go into one of there gaming arcades (like timezone), there a good laugh. Also do the crossing at shibuya on a weekend its another must see.

zappy65
14-02-11, 05:53 PM
This thread is gold...keep the info coming boys and girls.

1 question, are car parts alot cheaper or just alittle cheaper then here in Oz?...I know Oz has some rip off rates as far as car parts go but are all the auto shops as good as everyone says?

Oh and where is all the Japanese old school architecture and stuff like that around?..Closer to Tokyo or wayout?

71DATO
14-02-11, 06:17 PM
Yeah you can do that but i found half the fun was finding these places and getting to them...

i just dont wanna be asking lots of locals where wrecking yards are, not knowing f$ck all japanese anyway, then finally get there and some cranky old man (with big white moustache) doesnt understand fj20 or 510, and sells me a nissan cima block for 2 grand lol. thought that tour might take the hard part out of it. finding it yourself would be more fun, just dont wanna get ripped off. 'stupid white boy, i teach you for trying to make friends with me'

71DATO
14-02-11, 06:22 PM
1 question, are car parts alot cheaper or just alittle cheaper then here in Oz?...I know Oz has some rip off rates as far as car parts go but are all the auto shops as everyone says?

isnt the price mostly to do with shipping back to oz? then you have exchage rates as well.

i dont really care, they gotta be better than the bullshit we got here.

i think they are as good as everyone says :D

Chewbacca
15-02-11, 11:58 AM
This thread is gold...keep the info coming boys and girls.

1 question, are car parts alot cheaper or just alittle cheaper then here in Oz?...I know Oz has some rip off rates as far as car parts go but are all the auto shops as good as everyone says?

Oh and where is all the Japanese old school architecture and stuff like that around?..Closer to Tokyo or wayout?

Yes car parts are a shitload cheaper in certain circumstances. For example, at Up-Garage, parts are cheap as shit and you'll almost need a quick stop to pull your dick after you see the price of some of the shit. At places like Crystal, they have nothing but new parts and they aren't really that much cheaper but in saying that, they do have just about anything brand new you want. Carshop Nagano is an awesome place to go as if they don't have what you want, you order it and they'll send it to your hotel.

There is old school architecutre dotted around everywhere. I remember being in Osaka, just outside Soemon-Cho, walking down a back street and stumbled across this epic old school shrine and all this awesome 'traditional' architecture. It seems to be almost everywhere that you don't expect it.

Jays14
15-02-11, 12:49 PM
^ Yeah crystal is good, You can make a good day out of it in Chiba as there is a rim shop that I cant remember the name of just up the road from crystal that is awsome just full of Jap brand names rims.
There is a up garage also in Chiba and about an hour walk away from cyristle is top secret.

Chewbacca
15-02-11, 12:59 PM
^Spewing, I didnt get to the rim shop, how dissaapointing.

Yeah the Up-Garage is just near the monorail sort of yeah? I found some pretty awesome shit there. They had a massive selection of wheels at that Up-Garage iirc.

I don't know about you guys but its hard to remember exactly which Up-Garage had what and what was near where, it all started running into each other in memory.

Jays14
15-02-11, 06:08 PM
^Yeah the Up Garage is near chiba station then you get the mono rail to the other 3....

71DATO
15-02-11, 07:09 PM
^
^
you guys keep reminiscing bout your trips, and i'll pick up the pieces of where to go along the way lol

Chewbacca
15-02-11, 07:46 PM
:lol: Head to Tomei, there's an Up-Garage just around the corner from it, you walk up towards the bridge, turn right and then right again.
Don't go on a Wednesday though, they're closed.

llama_au
15-02-11, 07:48 PM
wow thats a full on map.

i'd classify tokyo cbd as the common scenes you see in movies with big buildings, lots of flashing lights and brand names

Then you'd be right in the heart of it wherever you were on that map.

Jays14
15-02-11, 07:56 PM
^ Lol yep yep... Tokyo just goes on and on and on with big buildings, lots of flashing lights like that :)

Tokyo tower and the diet building both have awesome views, go to both one at night one at day...

Jays14
15-02-11, 07:57 PM
:lol: Head to Tomei, there's an Up-Garage just around the corner from it, you walk up towards the bridge, turn right and then right again.
Don't go on a Wednesday though, they're closed.

Did you see the outback steakhouse near Tomei??? i was all like wtf.... hahaha..

llama_au
15-02-11, 07:59 PM
I agree, views are spectacular from either structure. I've got loads of places I'd reccommend in my first Japan travel thread (never did one for my second trip.)

71DATO
16-02-11, 09:30 AM
lmao def seeing sumo wrestling then

Chewbacca
16-02-11, 11:35 AM
Did you see the outback steakhouse near Tomei??? i was all like wtf.... hahaha..

:lol: Certainly did, I was so tempted to go inside as I hadn't had a steak/beef in like 2 weeks and was yearning for it..
Oh, and the epic multi lane road that Tomei is on, I was looking for the bridge for ages and saw it like miles down the road and was like 'fuck this, I'm doing the bolt across the freeway', totally almost got collected but strangely, not one person beeped at me :lol: :lol: Japanese are so polite :lol:

Did anyone else notice that it feels like the city just keeps going forever? Like in Sydney, you can tell that the CBD is the CBD but in Tokyo you keep walking and the big buildings never seem to dissipate? Even riding the Shikansen, theres like maybe 30 seconds of open space at most and then its more towns/factories etc

Biggie
16-02-11, 12:01 PM
No problem whatsoever with Aussie customs.. The tag the JP customs put on it must have sufficed

Even if you couldnt get it past Aussie customs, getting drunk on canned beer and Sake and then going on a shooting spree in your hotel is something everyone must try at least once

Amen brother Amen

Subiedoo
16-02-11, 01:20 PM
Tokyo

Akihabara - Electronics name it . . .even RCA plug have them

Shibuya - CBD if you wana go shopping heaps of shoe shop and everything . .

Gotanda - Good for shopping again

Mt Fuji - for me a must to visit you can even hike as you want just bring thick jackies snow never stops there.

Autobacs - Warehouse of auto accessorries

Amusement parks:

Disney Land and Disney Sea
Yumiuri Land
Tokyo Dome
Tama Tech
Fuji Amusment Park

Roller coasters here are sick except for disneyland and disney sea . .

Chewbacca
16-02-11, 03:13 PM
I didnt find Autobacs to be all that interesting to be honest.. It was kinda like a supercheap auto for JDM crap.

I went to the one in Kyoto and one in Tokyo Bay (iirc) and neither of them were really anything to write home about, the best part about them was the magazine/book section

71DATO
16-02-11, 05:37 PM
how far is osaka from tokyo?

Chewbacca
16-02-11, 05:38 PM
About 3 and a half hours via the Shinkansen

71DATO
16-02-11, 09:52 PM
what about buying a new HKS turbo from a garage instead of in oz??

T04Z or T51 spl or something that size.

these models are around 4/5g in oz. cheaper in japan?

Chewbacca
17-02-11, 10:42 AM
what about buying a new HKS turbo from a garage instead of in oz??

T04Z or T51 spl or something that size.

these models are around 4/5g in oz. cheaper in japan?

I'd say at Crystal or CarShop Nagano, they'd be cheaper than that but don't forget you're more than likely going to have to carry that fucker for 2-3hours at minimum on a train and by foot back to your hotel and then put it in your luggage (if you're really lucky and go to CS Nagano, you may be able to get them to send it your hotel but thats going to cost $$$). Chances are, a turbo that large is going to smash your baggage allowance limit or if you post it, it's going to also cost you a crapload. You may end up saving some money but do you really want to be carrying around 15kg's or more of turbo around whilst you're on holiday?

71DATO
17-02-11, 01:00 PM
lol you dont wanna know my response.

think about it the other way..

- 2 hours of lugging round a fat arse african land snail is giving me many hours of happy boosting
- saving a couple of hundred bucks at minimum can give me more towards my holiday or more parts for the dato at a wrecking yard, up garage, autobacs etc
- i have an aussie contact in tokyo that could ship the turbo for me

seriously, go to japan in november and you will some dickhead walking on the side of the road, sweating his ass off, carrying a turbo in one hand, an fj20 oil pump in the other and pockets bursting full of stickers :D

Chewbacca
17-02-11, 08:42 PM
Mate it doesnt matter who sends the turbo for you, your contact, a japanese dude, yourself, your missus or some dude who works at Mos Burger, its gonna cost you a crapload no matter what considering how heavy that fucker is.. I sent 4 boxes of shit home via seamail at it cost me $600~ ish

Don't bother going to Autboacs, I thought it was a complete waste of time, like Supercheap auto for JDM rubbish.

You won't be sweating, you'll be cold. probably quite cold. It snowed in January when I went and again in Feb the second time I went. In tokyo.

Don't expect to get many stickers, the ones at carshops are pretty shit. The only stickers that were cool were from attending 3 private practise drift days and trying to make conversation with dudes. They rewarded me with rides in their cars and 2 of them gave me stickers at the end of the day. I made lots of hand motions, took a pen and paper with me and drew alot of stuff and numbers to work shit out

71DATO
18-02-11, 10:33 AM
it was a joke dude, lighten up.

Chewbacca
18-02-11, 11:38 AM
it was a joke dude, lighten up.

I wasn't trying to have a go man, I was just being honest. I didnt think my post came across as me ranting, raving and waving my hands in the air like a pair of russian dudes playing chess.. Everyone takes what I say far too seriously.

I also recommend taking a pen and paper to every car shop you go to.

llama_au
18-02-11, 06:57 PM
I also recommend taking a pen and paper to every car shop you go to.

Great advice, I wish I'd done that. The blokes at Crystal had no idea what we were asking for. At least go to Super Autobacs Tokyo Bay for the bookshop upstairs - it's worth it.

71DATO
20-02-11, 06:52 PM
like a pair of russian dudes playing chess..

LOL. i worked with russians for a year, so thats twice as funny for me.

rokutofu
20-02-11, 11:05 PM
Can't wait for my trip to Japan in May/June with the missus.

Will be doing our entire 2 week trip on a budget south of 3k; flights, accommodation, food, transport, souveniers etc. It will be possible I believe.

Philip Lee
21-02-11, 12:03 PM
^^ $3000 - $1000 air ticket (if you fly jetstar) = $2000 @ 80 = 160,000 yen.

if you can find accomondation for around 6000 yen per night and it will be around 78000 yen (13 nights) so you are left with 82,000.

food budget 1000 per meal @ 3 meals per day @ 14 days = 42,000 yen and you are left with 40000 for transport and souveniers......

seems tight.

i'm going to Hokkaido in June/July. will be doing a round trip to the East. can't wait.

Scarecrow
22-02-11, 02:15 PM
All this talk is bringing back memories of last December ...

Can't wait to go back in Novemeber for Matsuri (I HOPE)

P.s. I went to Autobacs in Kyoto - I spent atleast 2 hours there, bought a Nardi (Cheap!!!) and heaps of other stuff.

I ended up sending back a box that weighed roughly 15 kg's to australia and it cost me $200.00 - So worth it!

Will post up some of my info soon.

Philip Lee
22-02-11, 02:52 PM
I ended up sending back a box that weighed roughly 15 kg's to australia and it cost me $200.00 - So worth it!

by EMS? was it easy to talk the post office staff??

Chewbacca
22-02-11, 02:57 PM
All this talk is bringing back memories of last December ...

Can't wait to go back in Novemeber for Matsuri (I HOPE)

P.s. I went to Autobacs in Kyoto - I spent atleast 2 hours there, bought a Nardi (Cheap!!!) and heaps of other stuff.

Will post up some of my info soon.

I'm surprised you found so much to buy. I really didnt find much there that I found overly interesting.. I guess the ultra cheap factor of the Up-Garages ruined Autobacs for me..

I sent stuff via EMS and some heavier stuff by Sea Freight. Once in Osaka and once in Shinjuku, super easy, got some epic boxes from the post office, all the slips are half in english and you hand them the box, they ask for money, you sign and its on its way. Suppperrrrrrrrrr easy

Scarecrow
22-02-11, 03:20 PM

I had a friend post it back for me - He knows enough Japanese to get him through and he said he didn't have any issues.

I'm surprised you found so much to buy. I really didnt find much there that I found overly interesting.. I guess the ultra cheap factor of the Up-Garages ruined Autobacs for me..

I sent stuff via EMS and some heavier stuff by Sea Freight. Once in Osaka and once in Shinjuku, super easy, got some epic boxes from the post office, all the slips are half in english and you hand them the box, they ask for money, you sign and its on its way. Suppperrrrrrrrrr easy

Unfortunately as much as I tried I didn't make it to an UP Garage, I'm definitely going to a few when I go back in November.

BTW, I'm in the process of mapping out there locations in English on Google for all to see so it's easy to find.

Haven't had the chance to spend much time on it yet, but so far have 97 enthusiasts related location mapped out :)

Edit just thought id' share this amazing video.. ARGH I MISS Japan so much...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjC72RIDt_A&feature=player_embedded

Philip Lee
22-02-11, 03:54 PM
Does Up Garage sell brand new stuff? or used only?

looking to bring a set of coils back in July.

h3ktic
22-02-11, 05:23 PM
Edit just thought id' share this amazing video.. ARGH I MISS Japan so much...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjC72RIDt_A&feature=player_embedded

That's an awesome video to see different places in real time.

A friend and I are planning a trip for late December for 3 weeks until around the 20th of Jan. Planning on doing the trip (including flights/accommodation/food/travel/spending money and hiring a GT-R) for 6k.
Here's a screen of the places were planning on visiting. We've never been so we don't know how much we will get done.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/PLZN/Screenshot2011-02-22at51152PM.png

Chewbacca
22-02-11, 06:03 PM
Does Up Garage sell brand new stuff? or used only?

looking to bring a set of coils back in July.

Mainly second hand stuff... To be honest, if you're looking to buy 2nd hand coils, its all luck when you go to an Up-Garage, they may have heaps of shit for your car or they may have absolutely nothing. If you're expecting to buy coilovers, be prepared to lug a very heavy box, a very long way (unless you're hiring a car) and be prepared to get very frustrated carrying them on the train and walking down the street. Most Up-Garages are a solid walk from any station and if you're going in July, it's going to be very fucking hot with a shitload of humidity.
I went to 4 or 5 and some of them were a sea of Silvia parts whilst others had heaps of parts for Toyota's/Mazda's etc - one particularly had pretty much an entire highly modified JZX100 in bits and pieces whilst another had probably 4 or 5 S-chassis' in pieces.

If you're looking for new stuff, as mentioned before, go to Crystal or Carshop Nagano - specifically, CS Nagano will send items to your hotel for you so you don't need to lug them around. I'm not sure if Crystal offer this service

H3ktic: Thats ALOT of stuff to do but if you've got 3 weeks it certainly should be do-able. Is the 6k for both you & your mate or is that each? If thats for both you & your mate (i.e 3k each in everything) you will certainly struggle to survive for 3 weeks and genuinely enjoy yourself and do all those things. I dare say you'll wanna buy a fair bit of stuff if you're visiting that many car orientated places (even if its just stickers or silly merchandise) money flies out of your pockets like no tomorrow in JP.
Couple of things, if TAS isn't on when you're there, the Makuhari Messe isn't real special and unless you have a mad affinity for it, it may be worth scratching.
Tomei isn't overly inviting as a building and you have to cross an epic freeway sorta thing, unless you can speak Japanese or you've got an appointment, you won't get a whole lot out of them. The Up-Garage round the corner is closed on Wednesdays (learnt that the hard way) and you actually have to walk around the block to get in via the front. 2 doors down is the back entrance and you may not be allowed in via there.
Disneyland is expensive, just like Disneyland in the states, everything is jacked up ridiculously imo.
109-2 is awesome - you'll definetly wanna spend a chunk of cash there if you like clothes - just keep in mind, whats cool in Japan is not always cool back home. You'll see heaps of dudes wearing stuff that you may reckon rocks but the minute you wear it back in Aus, everything thinks you're a flaming homosexual. I also learnt this the hardway.. Bought some stuff that was totally awesome and acceptable in Japan and I returned home and my mates were like all like 'so what float you riding on this year sweetheart'. Totally true though, unfortunately.

h3ktic
22-02-11, 06:24 PM
Cheers for the reply man!!! yeah were planning on going from the 28 Dec to 20th Jan. We planned the dates so were there for Tokyo Autosalon which is usually on mid Jan.

Nah it's 6k each Ill prob take about that over there once i payed for flights. Cheers for the info on Tomei. Ill scrap that haha. I don't know when i'll get another chance to go overseas so we planned a big one so we can make it worth while. If were going to do it were going to do it properly haha

Chewbacca
22-02-11, 06:31 PM
With $6k each you'll be fucking laughing.
Make sure you go to a Don Quixote/Donke variety store and buy some stupid random shit and drink as much Asahi as humanly possible.
Enjoy yourself, you'll have an absolute fucking ball.

One small thing, I'm not 110% sure on this but I heard you have to be 25+ to hire a GT-R ( :lol: I don't know how old you are, just sayin') & pretty positive you have to leave a pretty massive deposit. Not sure if any of that concerns you, just something to keep in mind

h3ktic
22-02-11, 06:50 PM
Cheers for the heads up. Got heaps of time to plan the trip so the little bits of info really help.

Ahhh shit lol I'm 22 grrrrr. Ill sus it out and make backup plans if that's the case.

Philip Lee
23-02-11, 10:42 AM
Mainly second hand stuff... To be honest, if you're looking to buy 2nd hand coils, its all luck when you go to an Up-Garage, they may have heaps of shit for your car or they may have absolutely nothing. If you're expecting to buy coilovers, be prepared to lug a very heavy box, a very long way (unless you're hiring a car) and be prepared to get very frustrated carrying them on the train and walking down the street. Most Up-Garages are a solid walk from any station and if you're going in July, it's going to be very fucking hot with a shitload of humidity.
I went to 4 or 5 and some of them were a sea of Silvia parts whilst others had heaps of parts for Toyota's/Mazda's etc - one particularly had pretty much an entire highly modified JZX100 in bits and pieces whilst another had probably 4 or 5 S-chassis' in pieces.

If you're looking for new stuff, as mentioned before, go to Crystal or Carshop Nagano - specifically, CS Nagano will send items to your hotel for you so you don't need to lug them around. I'm not sure if Crystal offer this service

thanks for your comment.

actually i have bought home some Teins with me last time i was at Osaka. it was fucking tiring i must say.

will be going to Hokkaido this time so shouldn't be too hot. plan to buy new so will probably head down to the closest Autobacs near the airport and place an order there then pick up just before flying back. i don't want them to send stuff to hotels cos i'm doing a round trip and will be hopping to diff hotels every night. being so far away from everything, i guess if they dun have the stuff when i go back to pick up at least i can demand a refund rather than sorting shit out with little knowledge of the languge.

doubt Up Garage will have anything for the current Odyssey.....

haikii
23-02-11, 05:35 PM
Visiting a festival is a must. Its a great atmosphere aswell as exposing you to some awesome culture depending what festival you visit.

We stumbled onto a festival when we were looking for a subaru specific Up-Garage and we asked some blokes is there a festival around here. In the end they actually owned a float in the parade and they invited us to come carry this giant shrine/float through the parade with them. With free food and beer and intro'd to everybody's daughters for some mad ass reason.

http://www.japanvisitor.com/index.php?cID=366&pID=394

we folowed that website as it was quite detailed as to the locations and dates.

But yeah, best experience travelling yet.

sinista
23-02-11, 07:35 PM
I cant wait to head back to japan in Dec for a full month....only 10 months away lol

Ecks
24-02-11, 09:10 AM
This thread is gold. Jetstar jst had a 2 for 1 sale and I booked for June. only cost me and the gf $1024 return.
I've also wanted to go and this thread helps alot.

But is there a cheaper placea to stay in tokyo? im going for 9 days and have a budget of around $4k. and im aiming for around $100 per night acco. Been looking at private rooms in hostels. But if anyone has other suggestions.

Chewbacca
24-02-11, 11:03 AM
^I'll try find the site for you that I used..

It cost me $126 a night (I know this is more than you want to spend) to stay in a 4.5 star hotel in Shinjuku and $119 a night to stay in Roppongi in a 4 star hotel.
If you want to save more, a Ramikin (spelling?) where you sleep on futon's etc will cost you about $60-$70 a night.

Wink
24-02-11, 11:07 AM
try a capsule hotel for laughs

Ecks
24-02-11, 12:51 PM
thanks chewy. those prices seem very reasonable.

@wink - yeah saw those on the news. looks so uncomfortable, but its dirt cheap.

sorry to hijack. but when you guys arrived in japan, from the airport to your hotel. did u pay for a shuttle, taxi or train?

Chewbacca
24-02-11, 12:53 PM
Caught a train straight from Osaka Kansai Airport the first time and caught a train straight from Narita the 2nd time so to answer your question - Train :lol:
Walked from the train station, got semi lost, asked some random person at the street at 10:30 at night, they took me half way there and gave me directions for the other half. Despite being sort of late at night, being on a plane for 10 hours I was still all kinds of stoked to be there and the walking didnt bother me at all.

Caught train's & walked everywhere, didnt ride in one taxi/bus or shuttle the whole time I was there.

Wink
24-02-11, 01:12 PM
sorry to hijack. but when you guys arrived in japan, from the airport to your hotel. did u pay for a shuttle, taxi or train?

I can only speak for Tokyo/Narita

1. Buy SUICA card. For extra jollies, print an offensive name on the SUICA card.
2. Catch Narita Express (NEX) to Shinjuku. That will cost you around $30-$40 IIRC.
3. From Shinjuku catch subway to the station where your hotel is.

Because of the amount of stairs, and having to walk lengths of platforms to get to other entrances, it can be a MASSIVE bitch to carry your shit around on the subway (especially if it's peak hour).

Philip Lee
24-02-11, 04:47 PM

me personally like to take Airport Limosines as u just hope into the bus and they will load your luggage for you and take you to your distination.

the last thing i want to do after the flight is to carry my luggages around train stations. if it's your first time arriving at Shinjuku station, you will most likely be lost......

also you get to see the city on a bus.

bus info at Osaka Kansai airport:
http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/access/bus/index.html

bus info at Tokyo Narita airport:
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/access/bus/index.html

i usually pick a hotel that is reasonably close to a Airport Limo stop.

71DATO
24-02-11, 05:49 PM
all this info is fucking great. i hoped ppl would just start reminiscing bout their trips and type away like no tomorrow.

although there is one thing im having trouble picking up from your stories... obviously there is a lot if walking involved to get to these up garages, auto bacs etc. how do you know when you get to an up garage? does the shop sign say
€#%# (up garage) or will you need to translate the titles on a map and go from there?

are they actually all called 'up garages'? or is that the general term, with each one being manafacturer/brand specific?

Chewbacca
24-02-11, 05:55 PM
They're called Up-Garages, man. They're all big yellow stores and have silhouettes on most windows of cartoon drawn car parts. You seriously can't miss them.
http://www.upgarage.com/
They ALL have the logo at the top of this page^

llama_au
24-02-11, 06:31 PM
thanks chewy. those prices seem very reasonable.

@wink - yeah saw those on the news. looks so uncomfortable, but its dirt cheap.

First time bus, second time train. The train is shitloads easier.

Do not go to the Nismo Omori Factory, it's quite a long train ride and you'll see barely anything. You'll see more of their gear on show at TAS, and they don't speak much English at the factory.

71DATO
25-02-11, 07:18 AM
anyone know of a good website translator?

Jays14
25-02-11, 08:39 AM
Babble fish....

71DATO
25-02-11, 09:37 AM
^ thanks. forgot to buzz you earlier, will soon

71DATO
26-02-11, 09:03 AM
someone mentioned its hard to find good sushi. really? isnt that like saying its hard to find a bbq in oz?

Chewbacca
26-02-11, 11:11 AM
someone mentioned its hard to find good sushi. really? isnt that like saying its hard to find a bbq in oz?

That's a load of shit imo.

Had Sushi for breakfast 10 mornings out of 20 and everytime, I was impressed.

DAS KAMU
26-02-11, 03:48 PM
in minami senju i found no sushi lol

heaps of chicken

DAS KAMU
26-02-11, 03:49 PM
we need to go at the same time chewbacca

71DATO
26-02-11, 05:18 PM
hmmm breakfast sushi.

btw, is anyone planning to go this
november??

DAS KAMU
26-02-11, 05:46 PM
oh just for lols go to ueno markets and have a kebab

the guy looked like he was a sydney sider

come get a kebab my friend lol nice guy

71DATO
26-02-11, 06:08 PM
^ LOL

rokutofu
26-02-11, 06:51 PM
I plan to have Karagge chicken every morning for breakfast during my trip in Japan.

Anyone stay in a capsule for couples? location in Tokyo/Osaka?

Chewbacca
26-02-11, 07:43 PM
we need to go at the same time chewbacca

Whens your next trip man? I remember seeing you were heading back over again soon-ish and I remember also asking you for Rocky music in the montage :lol:

I'm considering doing another trip late october, early november but have gotta suss out holidays with work etc. I'll PM you, I think we could tear that town apart :lol:

71DATO - see my response above, I'm thinking late Oct/Early Nov

Rokutofu: I wouldn't wanna stay in a capsule hotel if I had a chick with me, totally not enough room to bang :lol:

71DATO
26-02-11, 08:52 PM
would be fkn mad to go with ppl who've already been. im looking to go around ebisu drift festival dates. 11/12 november.

rokutofu
27-02-11, 01:24 AM
Rokutofu: I wouldn't wanna stay in a capsule hotel if I had a chick with me, totally not enough room to bang :lol:
lol. Not for shagging. The missus wants to stay overnight in one for the experience. But I've heard that many are male or female specific only, so am searching for a capsule hotel catering for couples.

[ is2k ]
27-02-11, 09:28 AM
I plan to have Karagge chicken every morning for breakfast during my trip in Japan.

Anyone stay in a capsule for couples? location in Tokyo/Osaka?

http://www.asahiplaza.co.jp/capcel/english.html

Stayed here in Osaka, no complaints (except they don't have normal showers, just a communal bath house) and no need to book, just rock up.

Jays14
27-02-11, 10:26 AM
hmmm breakfast sushi.

btw, is anyone planning to go this
november??

Haha yeah im going in nov well there is about 10 if us going in November, lined up some cars and going to do some skids at matsuri...

71DATO
27-02-11, 11:01 AM
^ yeah sweet. count me in.

this thread almost has more views and replies than my car thread. thats sad lol

Chewbacca
27-02-11, 12:46 PM
lol. Not for shagging. The missus wants to stay overnight in one for the experience. But I've heard that many are male or female specific only, so am searching for a capsule hotel catering for couples.

Checking out the link posted just below your post.. You could totally get your freak on in a capsule.. I envisaged them to be much, much smaller than that.

DAS KAMU
27-02-11, 01:41 PM
i want to see pics of you like this !
(me at the far head of the table)
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/nomuken5/PB091103.jpg

DAS KAMU
27-02-11, 01:53 PM
If you want to sample food im your man - tell me to shut it if you want :)

Please for your soul go the ueno markets and find this Korean / JDM resturant
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/nomuken5/PB091044.jpg
You will pass out from the awsomeness of the food - and aslo the extreme heat due to no open windows :(
(here is us enjoying the 70000000000000000 degree dining area) Just so you can see how hot we were
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/nomuken5/PB091046.jpg

Also there is a traditional jdm place around the corner and the food was that good id fly there nightly for dinner if i could
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/nomuken5/PB080899.jpg
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/nomuken5/PB080900.jpg

If you feel you must go to McDonalds for a taste of home like my lil bro DO NOT Have this
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/nomuken5/PB091037.jpg
i listed this in my japan trip post but its worth sharing again - it is 2 pancakes and sausage with maple sauce
WHO DOES THAT?!

and one more thing and i cant stress this enough Do not drink this unless you have somewhere polite to spit/vomit it out
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/nomuken5/PB081006.jpg

Chewbacca
27-02-11, 02:08 PM
DAS KAMU: The drinking pic :lol: :lol: :lol: The chick on the right looks like she's telling a story which involves 'So I fucken told the bastard...'

And the dude with the Burberry styled hat looks like he's just been told he has to finish half a litre of Sake in 1 gulp, he has the mad 'you're fucken kiddin'..' face on.

I'm gonna have to dig through my JP pics and find some of me in the worst possible state

rokutofu
27-02-11, 02:23 PM
;883832']http://www.asahiplaza.co.jp/capcel/english.html

Stayed here in Osaka, no complaints (except they don't have normal showers, just a communal bath house) and no need to book, just rock up.

THANKS buddy for the link. Will most likely stay there for an evening!

Was just wondering if they allowed sharing of a capsule for couples?

71DATO
27-02-11, 03:18 PM
bahahahaha thats funny shit. keep the pics, tips and stories coming

Wink
27-02-11, 07:48 PM
Make sure you don't end up like this guy we saw lying in the Roppongi back streets.

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2556/38101439335648981586198.jpg

71DATO
27-02-11, 08:58 PM
^ LOL. looks like he pissed up his shirt

DrewMan
28-02-11, 01:04 PM
looks like they do what we do to all passed out folk....

Write I love penis somewhere

[ is2k ]
28-02-11, 01:39 PM
THANKS buddy for the link. Will most likely stay there for an evening!

Was just wondering if they allowed sharing of a capsule for couples?

Hey no worries mate.

From memory, they do a pretty good job of separating the males and females (i think we were even on different levels). But prior to going, I remember reading about certain areas in the place (would probably have to book it before hand) they have 'group rooms' for either 2 or 4 people which cost a little extra but you get a bit more privacy - but I'm not sure whether they allow a mix of males and females here either.

rokutofu
28-02-11, 03:25 PM
Thanks is2k for the info.

I'm surprised with all the quirky things that goes on in Japan, they try so hard to separate the males and females at these hotels! =p

I've read about the group rooms; looks tempting, but with only my missus and I, it'll still cost us the whole 4 capsules I believe! eek!

Jays14
28-02-11, 08:44 PM
If you feel you must go to McDonalds for a taste of home like my lil bro DO NOT Have this
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/nomuken5/PB091037.jpg
i listed this in my japan trip post but its worth sharing again - it is 2 pancakes and sausage with maple sauce
WHO DOES THAT?!
Mc Giddles.. It's um different...

Tropical G
28-02-11, 11:58 PM
Gotta try the Miami burger at maccas!

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1358/17588510150106720569938.jpg

71DATO
01-03-11, 07:10 AM
^ lol that is fkn disgusting

kaws!
07-03-11, 02:54 PM
I loooove those gin and tonic can things, Y150 for 500ml of 9%.

I'm back on the 15th for my 3rd year running and so happy to be back again. I managed to get hotels in Tokyo for 70 a night and Osaka 40 per night, pretty cheap and next to the main JR loop. Food is cheap as chips, Yoshinoya is great for that :)

Which are the best Up-Garages and Super autobacs to visit in Tokyo (im a subaru person)? I found a good one a few years ago but forgot which one it was :P

Ecks
08-03-11, 12:50 PM
hey kaws, where did u book the accommodation from?

71DATO
11-03-11, 06:05 PM
god damn fucking tsunami's. there goes my japan holiday.

rokutofu
11-03-11, 07:40 PM
^^ just came home and saw it on the tv also..called the missus regarding our trip...we're still going!

RIP to the deceased and goodluck to all those involved in the clean up

kaws!
11-03-11, 09:04 PM
god damn fucking tsunami's. there goes my japan holiday.

Mine too from the look of it. fuck sticks.

xsoarerx
12-03-11, 11:28 PM
going to ebisu in april.

fukushima power plant 60kms away...

hummm....

h3ktic
15-03-11, 03:32 PM
Mannnn I was so keen going this year but i think i'll give it a miss until the country gets back on its feet.

Philip Lee
15-03-11, 04:04 PM
i planned to go to Hakkaido in June but i've started to arrange to go to Kyushu instead.

wanted to visit the north east after Hakkaido but i guess won't be going for a few years now.

Chewbacca
15-03-11, 05:25 PM
going to ebisu in april.

fukushima power plant 60kms away...

hummm....

I unfortunately think this should be changed to.. 'Was going to Ebisu'

The damage is insane there.. The track itself seems half ok apart from part of the touge course I believe? But half the garage ares ruined.. I saw a pic of Kumakubo's WRX being crane lifted from down a massive bank and all the Power Vehicles garages were half way down a hill and heavily damaged which fucking sucks. I hope it works out to be all good but wow, the devastation is horrific.

Chewbacca
16-03-11, 11:13 AM
Maybe all is not lost.. Kumakubo's blog says Matsuri will still go ahead..

A few pics of how real shit got at Ebisu
http://kumakubo.up.seesaa.net/image/kumakubo-2011-03-11T20:26:17-1.jpg
http://kumakubo.up.seesaa.net/image/P1000882.JPG
http://kumakubo.up.seesaa.net/image/P1000834.JPG
http://kumakubo.up.seesaa.net/image/P1000827.JPG
http://kumakubo.up.seesaa.net/image/P1000832.JPG
http://kumakubo.up.seesaa.net/image/P1000826.JPG
http://kumakubo.up.seesaa.net/image/P1000842.JPG

The beginning of stuff being rebuilt..
http://kumakubo.up.seesaa.net/image/P1000904.JPG

All pics taken from the Team Orange blog.

prelure
16-03-11, 10:43 PM
so sad to see that

S30Mike
19-03-11, 10:03 AM
Shit is that the team orange cars? i seriously wouldnt be going to japan anytime this year. i would feel bad putting more burdon on them plus the radiation situation aint looking good...

71DATO
31-03-11, 04:03 AM
if you watch the news, the radiation situation will never be explained properly. fucking world media talking fucking shit as usual. i am (and/or) was going to tokyo in november.
i could almost guarantee the reator site will be neutral by then, but the devastation from the earthquake is a loooong way from over. very sad.

i went to the sydney lionel richie concert last week, we did a tribute song to japan. was very kool.

mick.wheelz
31-03-11, 09:25 PM
The whole thing is massively blown out of proportion by the western media.

TBH, The nuclear situation is the least of my worries, and i am IN japan.

The media needs to focus more on the terrible natural disasters and the lives lost there, rather than scaremongering.

xsoarerx
16-04-11, 10:46 PM
if anyone is intersed

http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?33676-Japan-Wreck’EM-K-tours-Osaka.com-Meihan-sports-land-Drift-day.

check here!

menty
09-05-11, 06:06 PM
Need an intineary for tokyo 12 days
June 13 to 24

Probbaly doing mt fuji in between

Should I buy JR passes?

Wink
09-05-11, 06:17 PM
Need an intineary for tokyo 12 days
June 13 to 24

Probbaly doing mt fuji in between

Should I buy JR passes?

12 day itinerary for JUST Tokyo may be stretching it on things to do...

To give you a guide, in 2 weeks, I did Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Kobe, Hiroshima, Himeji. Of course if you plan to travel this much within Japan, a JR Pass is a must.
Beats spending 12 days just in one city.

EDIT:

Here was my itinerary. We stuck to it fairly well, the only changes were
- We made a detour to Kobe to get some Kobe beef dinner
- Abandoned Mt Fuji Leg
- Returned back to Tokyo a day earlier on the last weekend cos we were missing it so much lol.
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8225/unledyu.jpg

Chewbacca
09-05-11, 07:20 PM
Man you guys are wayyyy organised.. I'd wake up, walk down the hallway, get can of beer, drink said can of beer, then consider what to do and hope for the best.

dopey
09-05-11, 07:31 PM
lol the first time I went to Japan I had a whole itinerary planned... kinda stuck to it for the most part

second time I had a rough itinerary planned out... didn't really stick to it at all other than which cities we were in

this time around I'm not even bothering to make any set plans at all. bet I will enjoy myself more than ever

llama_au
09-05-11, 07:33 PM
I've planned all of my trips. It's so much easier being organised and knowing how long it takes to get between places, what station to go to, etc.

Wink
09-05-11, 07:54 PM
lol the first time I went to Japan I had a whole itinerary planned... kinda stuck to it for the most part
second time I had a rough itinerary planned out... didn't really stick to it at all other than which cities we were in
this time around I'm not even bothering to make any set plans at all. bet I will enjoy myself more than ever

Same. The itinerary I posted above was for my first trip.
Second trip, just planned out the cities because of need to book accommodation.

Third trip... who knows?

Chewbacca
09-05-11, 07:56 PM
My itinerary
day 1 through 20
Wake up
Get shit faced at vending machine
??
???
Get lost
????
Eat Ramen
?????
??????
???????
Profit?

rokutofu
09-05-11, 11:54 PM
Hope you have fun Chewbacca!!...

I'll be leaving for Japan in 20 days..Can't wait!..The missus and I are organised freaks!..would never go through all the hassle/trouble of saving for a trip, getting annual leave, flying 8+ hours on a plane, exchanging money, travel insurance etc., to just rock up to a foreign country with no research + no itinerary!..with that mentality, you'll DEFINATELY waste a lot of time + money.

Chewbacca
10-05-11, 12:43 PM
Hope you have fun Chewbacca!!...

I'll be leaving for Japan in 20 days..Can't wait!..The missus and I are organised freaks!..would never go through all the hassle/trouble of saving for a trip, getting annual leave, flying 8+ hours on a plane, exchanging money, travel insurance etc., to just rock up to a foreign country with no research + no itinerary!..with that mentality, you'll DEFINATELY waste a lot of time + money.

:lol: Thats how I did it last time and I saw a shitload, found heaps of cool places, went to a ton of car places, a drift day, and have absolutely zero regrets whatsoever. I personally don't like having any restraints as to what I'm doing or where I'm going. I also believe the idea of a holiday is to enjoy yourself, not be buttoned down to a routine.
The only planning I had was booked hotels in each city and a date when I was leaving Osaka to go to Tokyo.

menty
13-05-11, 01:15 PM
Going to be sorting out my itineary soon.
PARTY AT NIGHTS
Probably visit autobacs and toyota megaweb too

Changed to all of japan. 12 days, not just tokyo

menty
13-05-11, 02:04 PM
I want to go to an upgarage too to scour for parts.
Mate has an s2000 so a visit to spoon workshop my be necessary, is it easy to get to?
Any other workshops one would reccomend

rokutofu
25-05-11, 01:02 AM
3 days and counting down!

menty
03-06-11, 09:31 AM
Ok I'm slowly sorting out my Itineary

We will be landing at nrt at night on the 12th 8pm. The question here is, should we head into Tokyo and find a place to sleep or go somewhere else?
Between 13 to 18 we are planning to go to Osaka and Kyoto. We may also do nara and hakone but will there be enough time?
From 19 to 23 we will be in Tokyo. Currently accom is set for Sheraton Tokyo bay (got a good deal). Unsure if there will be enough time to see everything. One day will be taken up by disneysea, and another for Toyota megaweb and super autobacs. Effectively there are only 2 to 2.5 days to explore the rest of Tokyo. If we plan on going to mt Fuji and also go to fujiq, will this even be possible? Should we go to fuji before Tokyo if it is more convenient?

Is there anything I should get in Japan that is significantly cheaper than buying here? Or anything that can't be gotten here? Do super autobacs sell used parts. I'm interested in finding a powerfc or a blitz ecu

Wink
03-06-11, 09:38 AM
Nara you can do in a few hours - go in, feed deer, get out.

Whole day at Toyota megaweb and Super Autobacs is way too long. You can do both in about 3 hours.

Chewbacca
15-06-11, 06:18 PM
Is there anything I should get in Japan that is significantly cheaper than buying here? Or anything that can't be gotten here? Do super autobacs sell used parts. I'm interested in finding a powerfc or a blitz ecu

I don't see the point in buying a Blitz Access, pretty sure nobody in this country tunes them.

menty
15-06-11, 09:25 PM
Biggest letdown ever Tokyo bay autobacs

Wink
15-06-11, 10:33 PM

Ha, I told you 1 day for that was massive overkill... go up to the bookshop area, most interesting part.

llama_au
18-06-11, 06:41 PM
^that bookshop is awesome.

DAS KAMU
18-06-11, 08:02 PM
My itinerary
day 1 through 20
Wake up
Get shit faced at vending machine
??
???
Get lost
????
Eat Ramen
?????
??????
???????
Profit?

you stole my itinerary !

DreadAngel
19-06-11, 12:45 AM

Upgarage is better than Autobacs imo =P

Autobacs has big names etc but if you're not going there for just a breeze through and actual shopping, Upgarage is hard to pass up =P

rokutofu
19-06-11, 01:15 AM

hahahaha not that great in terms of "performance parts"...you're better off checking out Upgarage..I visited the head office recently in Aobadai. Not hard to get to, but it is approx. 1 hour by train.

MANY good 2nd hand performance parts for CHEEEEAP!!!. Looked around for nearly 2 hours!

DreadAngel
19-06-11, 12:44 PM
You don't look, you start scratching your head as to how you're going to fit it into your empty luggages and how much it'll cost being posted or put on the plane XD

muncher
19-06-11, 04:37 PM
Fuji Q highland is awesome! Dodonpa, Fujiyama and the haunted hospital are all a must!

rokutofu
20-06-11, 03:36 PM
You don't look, you start scratching your head as to how you're going to fit it into your empty luggages and how much it'll cost being posted or put on the plane XD

EXACTLY what I was thinking walking through the isles of parts! was so sad...didn't know how I'd ship things back etc. :(

Also, was there COINCIDENTALLY whilst the D1GP Drift Tokyo was on and couldn't get in because all tickets were sold out! WTF!!..even tried bribing the security guards!..should have jumped the fence; it was literally 1.5m high!

menty
20-06-11, 08:24 PM
A photo from Kyoto

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/262070_10150211697674527_544924526_7095803_1424778 _n.jpg

Bang A Dang
20-06-11, 09:08 PM
man that river looks empty... still
this is the other views crossing it

River we need to cross
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5008/5369737631_61c36cf3dc_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5369737631/)

I see a Rainbow
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5163/5369737833_ec513ea76e_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5369737833/)

We made it back, but have a look at the sky from the above pics, and this… it took us ages to find out way back
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5205/5372789880_a460ee90b9_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5372789880/)

Pitch black with the only those street lights and building lights, 30sec shutter time
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5005/5372188239_7e1f673b77_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5372188239/)

Wink
20-06-11, 11:10 PM
You visited Gion right?

rokutofu
21-06-11, 10:33 PM
Gion was great, but Kiyomizudera Temple and it's views were breathe taking.

llama_au
23-06-11, 04:20 PM
Kyoto is absolutely stunning. I stayed there for a week and even then didn't manage to visit every temple in the immediate area. One temple I wanted to see but couldn't was Ginkaku-ji as it was under reconstruction but the zen gardens here are worth the trip alone. Kyoto station has some awesome food in the underground area.

mossy
23-06-11, 05:09 PM
We walked that way to the Gion area late last year and it was amazing, I really can't wait to get back to Japan one day.

anth
23-06-11, 10:30 PM
+1 for Kyoto, awesome place

mikk
04-07-11, 12:28 AM
anyone know which up garages are good for s13/180sx stuff? anywhere in japan

Jays14
04-07-11, 07:50 PM
Last 2 photos are heaps good dude...

DannersAU
05-08-11, 09:51 AM
Did you figure out when you're going? I'm heading there in October to catch the D1 in Fuji.

MPSI
26-08-11, 10:53 AM
Wow heaps of info I was looking for thanks guys lol!!

I'm heading over early November for matsuri and g1 gp.. If you guys are still heading over pm me and we should catch up!!

Ecks
26-08-11, 03:34 PM
Going to Jap next week. fkn yeah woot! never been, & so excited.
Mainly due to lack of funds, just sticking around tokyo area. Great info in this thread. Thanks guys.

MR2QIK
30-03-12, 02:25 PM
Thread revival. Going Tokyo next week (12days) & epic excited after reading this thread. Cut I couldn't rent an R35 GTR from PremiumGarage though (it has a blown tranny).

My out of Tokyo destinations are only Kyoto & Mt Fuji. Will be celebrating my birthday whilst there, so am planning to rent a car (maybe Crown) & wander out of Tokyo on a random road trip.

tiksie
30-03-12, 04:34 PM
Can't wait.

http://www.colorfulwolf.com/blog/images/2008/07/img_7183.jpg

dnapol
30-03-12, 04:59 PM
Hey guys,

Im turning 18 soon and plan to head to japan with my dad. in search of awesome jdm car parts, general jdm crap and maybe try out drifting. I read through all of this, but can anyone sort of summarize I guess where are the places I should head to. for how long. what shops to look for etc etc

In one big post it may be helpful for anyone who is looking in the future, would be terrific :)

FKD-LAW
30-03-12, 06:41 PM
How would you go about checking out one of them illegal drift sesh's there? ask some random with an hotted import and ask em 'where the party at?'
Anyone see one??? That would be one of my dream things to do ticked off my list thats fo sho