PDA

View Full Version : [Circuit Club] Wakefield Park Queens BDay Trackday!

narada
25-05-07, 01:39 PM
Its ON!

Monday 11th June 2007
Wakefield Park Raceway
$155 per driver
$55 per second driver
$15 per passenger
Spectators Free
Timing Included

Bookings email [email protected]

only limited spots left!

VTECMACHINE
25-05-07, 02:12 PM
I'll be there... What are your banking details? PM me.

Justin Fox
25-05-07, 02:18 PM
I'm tracking the Jazz... who wants to battle? :P

nath
25-05-07, 02:29 PM
I can't bring the 5 down, but am coming along as a passenger with Nobbsy.

Narada, do I have to let you know in advance if I am coming as a passenger, or can I just turn up on the day??

narada
25-05-07, 03:04 PM
hey mate

just rock up on the day no probs hehe =)

and ricki, didnt i sent paul the details? isnt he sorting it out?

VTECMACHINE
25-05-07, 03:29 PM
ohhhh... That's right!! I'll get him to give me them. Is Fatty (Ashley) coming??

Polly
25-05-07, 04:50 PM
my forms are in ill be there BOOYA

arron
26-05-07, 02:20 AM
Definately in this time!

not missing out again...
email sent

NAE-92X
28-05-07, 05:03 PM
is it not possible to pay on the day.
sorry not familiar with the procedure but really want to attend
1st track day as a driver

arron
29-05-07, 02:28 AM
Is there a restriction for the what kind of safety approved helmet is required for circuit club trackdays? Just got reminded me to ask this question after reading the "helmet" thread.
I have a cheap open-faced helmet which has the australian standards sticker but just wondering whether i have to purchase a dot/snell approved helmet for such an event...

hopefully not..

scathing
29-05-07, 02:59 AM
I am booked in.

Just need to get my extinguisher installed, which should only take a few mins.

lovesil
29-05-07, 04:16 AM
Oh! I'm off on that day. Can i tag along someone's car? I want to be there to take pics :D

scathing
29-05-07, 06:02 AM
I'm sure someone will let you ride.

VTECMACHINE
29-05-07, 09:17 AM
Alan wanna come up with us on the sunday, and stay the night? You'll need to book a room tho... it's like $75 or sumthing... Lemme know. You can share with Mike.

Justin Fox
29-05-07, 10:17 AM
is it not possible to pay on the day.
sorry not familiar with the procedure but really want to attend
1st track day as a driver

Best to email Narada on [email protected] or call 0402 425 401 as Circuit Club track days are usually sold out events.

Also regarding helmets, it's your head so perhaps you should use it and think about getting something that is approved for your own safety. :)

lovesil
30-05-07, 09:35 PM
Oh! I'm off on that day. Can i tag along someone's car? I want to be there to take pics :D

Change my mind. I will track the RColt :D Email sent Narada.

4agte
30-05-07, 09:57 PM
i will be there for moral support

Gorilla
30-05-07, 10:15 PM
ohh is there spots still avail???

Might take the sw20 down for some fun.

black200
31-05-07, 01:57 AM
Change my mind. I will track the RColt :D Email sent Narada.

danm fucking straight :D

arron
01-06-07, 12:16 AM
Question: My friend wants to come as a passenger, but not a driver... Does he still require a wakefield day pass and if so, how much?

sorry for all the track-virgin questions

SPL_K
01-06-07, 05:09 AM
yeh passengers need wakefield day pass too. its 50$ for the year, can't remember how much a temp one is tho... sorry!

lovesil
01-06-07, 09:53 AM
I believe you don't need to get a wakefield yearly or temp license as its catered for by Circuit club on that day.

gelo
01-06-07, 10:50 AM
you still need license

VTECMACHINE
01-06-07, 03:48 PM
Gelo is correct. It's $20 for a day license. I think the yearly ones are around $50, as they have gone up.

So for a passenger, it's $20 + $15 = $35 dorrarsss....

arron
01-06-07, 04:47 PM
thanking you very muchly vtecmachine

fatboyz39
06-06-07, 09:45 PM
any spots left???

Jing
07-06-07, 12:07 AM
see u guys there :D

Justin Fox
08-06-07, 11:37 AM
Suga and I will be there, in the Jazz lol. Will be dropping in for a few sessions before heading on to Canberra to be tourists for the day :P

arron
08-06-07, 03:14 PM
My god.. weather just turned to shit..

weather forcast for monday is shower or two.. hopefully wont be pissing down like it is now...

I'll be seeing everyone there.. lol.. i'll be the guy with a jdmstyletuning.com sticker on the back above the taillight.. (looks really tacky atm.. should have re-thought about a better to place to put it.. ergh)

Buddy
10-06-07, 09:55 AM
doing a trip down the south coast with the missus.. possibly swing past on monday arvo and say gday!!

Justin Fox
10-06-07, 10:24 AM
Cyas tomorrow one more sleep!

kawasaki
10-06-07, 10:27 AM
Suga and I will be there, in the Jazz lol. Will be dropping in for a few sessions before heading on to Canberra to be tourists for the day :P

So many cops on the way to Canberra + watch out for police speed vans in the ACT

black200
10-06-07, 11:13 AM
w0000t see you all there

Deviliss
10-06-07, 05:03 PM
it will be my first time there at wake, and since i have never met any of you guys from here, i will do my best to find you all and say hello :)

SUGA
10-06-07, 05:21 PM
i'll be there! bring lots of clothes.. will be freeeeeeeeeeeezing down there

Dave R
10-06-07, 05:44 PM
Good luck 2moz pplz..

HAVE FUN!! :P

p.s be careful on the way up (double demerit's) :)

Jacky
10-06-07, 07:12 PM
See you guys there tomorrow!

felixR
11-06-07, 07:04 PM
so... how was it? :)

Buddy
11-06-07, 07:13 PM
great day!! bit cold but all good fun

Dave R
11-06-07, 07:17 PM
Pics ?

Jing
11-06-07, 08:12 PM
pics coming soon. Will be posted in appearance forum

Polly
11-06-07, 09:42 PM
OMG WAT A DAY !!!!
i dare say almost as good as sex ... .. .

Tazz
11-06-07, 10:16 PM
great day, good to see a whole lot of familiar faces :D

line of the day "you had me at full lock" hahaha

black200
11-06-07, 10:20 PM
man it was awsome

i hope i didnt make any enemies with my shenannigans :(

Deviliss
11-06-07, 10:24 PM
great day today!! was very very cold!

Tazz
11-06-07, 11:00 PM
great day today!! was very very cold!

i'll 2nd that.. coldest it's ever been any time i've been down there.. but all worth it :D

arron
12-06-07, 12:49 AM
my god.. fkn great day despite the weather.. Should have brought a beanie or a hat.. stupid me..

had great fun, first time on the track and definately not the last!! Had a few battles here and there.. until my shitty street tyres decided to let go.. lol

IcemaN
12-06-07, 01:13 AM
everyone seemed to be having offs all day long what was up with that?
got some funny pics especially the ones with mike as passenger his facial expressions are priceless!

i dont think its been mentioned enuff but how freaking cold was it!!!!!

Deviliss
12-06-07, 08:51 AM
iceman i was trying to find you mate, but had no luck :(

VTECMACHINE
12-06-07, 09:17 AM
what a freaking awsome day!!!! :)
even though timing wasn't offical. I had 2 people timing me, and tehy didn't even know it, and they both timed me at 1.13.7, and 1.13.5... So i'm just saying 1.13.6. hehehe, which I am stocked with...

what an awsome day narada and the team put together! Great day guys...

Justin Fox
12-06-07, 09:29 AM
Only had one session as Christina and I were off to play like kiddies in Canberra for the day. Having said that, was a lot of fun out there. Track was clean, pretty grippy too. Great weather for Turbo cars, wish I had my GT-R there for sure!

Deviliss nice to meet you. :)

arron I saw you briefly (I was in the Black Jazz behind you) but that was unfortunately our cool down lap.

Polly, so awesome that you had a great time. Sorry I didn't hang around long enough to grab a ride in your car. Jacky was on hand as instructor I noticed, hope that you guys made the most out of your $$$ and grabbed him for some hot laps/pointers!

CoffeeBoss
12-06-07, 10:27 AM
Another first timer here. Wow, awesome fun, will definitely be back for more. Highlight = playing tag with club members, nothing beats mixing it up with equal/similar cars. TAZZ, nice to meet you, and to see some of these JDMST's at play.

This was a big day for Altezza Club - 4 of our cars on the circuit, with one of our members coming all the way from VIC to join us.

As much as we wanted to see how quickly we could go, well, some shenanigans were had also:

http://www.altezzaclub.org.au/forumimages/events/AU-070611-Wakefield/wakefield1.jpg

http://www.altezzaclub.org.au/forumimages/events/AU-070611-Wakefield/wakefield2.jpg

http://www.altezzaclub.org.au/forumimages/events/AU-070611-Wakefield/wakefield3.jpg

http://www.altezzaclub.org.au/forumimages/events/AU-070611-Wakefield/wakefield4.jpg

http://www.altezzaclub.org.au/forumimages/events/AU-070611-Wakefield/wakefield5.jpg

http://www.altezzaclub.org.au/forumimages/events/AU-070611-Wakefield/wakefield6.jpg

Polly
12-06-07, 11:14 AM
man it was awsome

i hope i didnt make any enemies with my shenannigans :(

man it looked fuking awsome being right behind u when you were going sideways. fuck you throw it around alot BOOOYAAA

Jon106
12-06-07, 02:33 PM
Hi guys
I'm new to the forum (so many forums, so little time ... !) but was at Wakefield yesterday in the Ignis. Had a lot of fun. Saw one photo of it on the other thread, but if there's any other good ones I'd like to see them. Please PM or email me.
Cheers, Jon

CoffeeBoss
12-06-07, 03:42 PM
Jon! In the black Ignis, right? We saw you at Sutton Forest in the morning, and were speculating on your destination. The semi slicks gave it away.

I should also note we declared you winner of the "Sleeper of the Day" award - awesome display you put on out there, very impressive.

Jon106
12-06-07, 04:53 PM
You're too kind. But those tyres are awesome - first time I've used them.
I know as well as anyone that it isn't exactly a prestige vehicle but it is fun to throw about.

scathing
12-06-07, 05:29 PM
Didn't get to run proper timing at all since I was carrying passengers all day (hope everyone enjoyed riding in my barge), but Tazz hand-timed me in the 1:12 range while in the car.

Pretty happy, as that was my target "unladen"....but it means I might be in the 1:11's by now.

Photos to come later.

Polly
12-06-07, 06:34 PM
Didn't get to run proper timing at all since I was carrying passengers all day (hope everyone enjoyed riding in my barge
thanks man riding in you barge was one of my highlights of the day !!!

CoffeeBoss
12-06-07, 06:55 PM
OK, some more images from the day, including some JDMST's, the seriously quick MX5, and the Starship Executive Suite.

http://www.altezzaclub.org.au/forumimages/events/AU-070611-Wakefield/wakefield8.jpg

http://www.altezzaclub.org.au/forumimages/events/AU-070611-Wakefield/wakefield9.jpg

http://www.altezzaclub.org.au/forumimages/events/AU-070611-Wakefield/wakefield10.jpg

http://www.altezzaclub.org.au/forumimages/events/AU-070611-Wakefield/wakefield11.jpg

http://www.altezzaclub.org.au/forumimages/events/AU-070611-Wakefield/wakefield12.jpg

http://www.altezzaclub.org.au/forumimages/events/AU-070611-Wakefield/wakefield13.jpg

kula
12-06-07, 07:41 PM
E55 Ftw

felixR
12-06-07, 10:29 PM
post ur pics here! :)

http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?t=3478

SenK9
14-06-07, 12:31 AM
Here are in-car vids from my car ... Please be patient, it's unedited, so the action is spread throughout the clips. In some of the vids, near the end the camera mount ball joint gets dislodged and the camera tilts :(

Anyway, enjoy the dodgy driving and bodgy tyres :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqNbe4lOtRE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCg1JB9PqVY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRKGAgydBAY

IcemaN
14-06-07, 05:34 PM
nice vids!
lol at the commentator in no2

DumHed
14-06-07, 05:49 PM
Here's some video of my car too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnXH4m56x58

VTECMACHINE
15-06-07, 11:47 PM
Whoa... I was watching my incar footage tonight, and that White R33 GTR was the most dangerous driver ever. He wouldn't let anyone pass him at all, even though he was holding up 3 cars behind him. A 350Z was next to him, and the R33 Slowly steered into the 350, causing the 350 to brake and tuck in behind.

arron
16-06-07, 12:19 AM
Whoa... I was watching my incar footage tonight, and that White R33 GTR was the most dangerous driver ever. He wouldn't let anyone pass him at all, even though he was holding up 3 cars behind him. A 350Z was next to him, and the R33 Slowly steered into the 350, causing the 350 to brake and tuck in behind.

Post em up vtecmachine!
I wanna see some footage of my arse.. lol..

4agte
16-06-07, 09:04 AM

i would have seriously got out and punched him in the face if he did that to me i mean its a lapping day not the first turn of an f1 race

narada
16-06-07, 09:30 AM
hey guys... remember what i said in the morning... the guy in front always has the right of way.. more than likely he couldnt even see you because he is too busy concentrating on the road ahead!

you were also in group C Ricksi, maybe a little to slow for a 1.13 lap time =)

anyway the White GTR is on this forum so no harsh words please... next time just seriously find him after the session and say "hey i noticed you almost ran into someone on the track, did you realise?"

VTECMACHINE
16-06-07, 10:51 AM
yeah ok whoopsie.
Was just dangerous that's all. Not particularly slow. But surely you could see a car if they were next to you, and you had your window open. That is all.

black200
16-06-07, 12:22 PM
im sure he wasn't intending on behaving like that. He seemed like a nice guy to me

arron
16-06-07, 01:01 PM
yeah, i dunno about you guys but I remember he was nice enough to eventually let me pass :) I think he was just waiting for the right moment to..? I was held up for abit but yeah.. i do remember him letting me pass after he realised that he couldn't shake me off?

but talking about dangerous driving, i did a boo-boo to the pro-concept civic on one of my sessions..

was pulling into the pit lane and only just realised that I had passed it, so without checking, i tried to merge into the pits over the grass.. little did I know that the civic was there.. gave him a bit of a fright.. apologised straight away and also after at the pits

scathing
16-06-07, 04:23 PM
He wouldn't let anyone pass him at all, even though he was holding up 3 cars behind him. A 350Z was next to him, and the R33 Slowly steered into the 350, causing the 350 to brake and tuck in behind.

Some people just get the red mist on when they hit the track, especially if its their first time out.

And what is it about AWD turbos baulking NA 350Z's? :)

I had a similar run-in with one of the Evo IX's (I'll leave the colour out, he knows who he is) when I drove in Group B (I promised someone I'd take them out, but then I got a better offer of riding shotgun with Louis Chan behind the wheel during the Group A session).

I'd caught them through the bends, but I didn't have enough pace to make a clean passing manouvre on them. On the one time I tried to make a pass down the back straight and take him under brakes, he turned in on me. If I wasn't such a pussy on the brakes (which gave me a bit of extra braking force in reserve to pull up a bit harder) we could have collided. The stupid thing is, if we'd hit I would have smashed nose first into his driver's door....which without a roll case would have caused him far more heartache than me.

According to my passenger, the guy had seen me and was actively trying to baulk me. I just figured he couldn't drive, but I guess not....

When we came off at the end of the session I almost followed him and gave him a piece of my mind....but then that's because I had the red mist on too. After I'd calmed down a bit I let it go.

I just don't see the point of baulking someone who's clearly faster. If they weren't in your mirrors when you hit Turn 2, and they're in your mirrors by the fish hook, and never leave them, then they're faster than you. All I did was put a lot of pressure on the guy, which had him running very ragged at some points (reinforcing my opinion that he wasn't being a cock, he just couldn't drive), while forcing me to drive below the pace I was capable of. It just negatively affected both of our experiences.

If you're reading this, thanks for that champ :rolleyes:

scathing
16-06-07, 04:29 PM
was pulling into the pit lane and only just realised that I had passed it, so without checking, i tried to merge into the pits over the grass..

Maybe Narada can confirm, but if this ever happens to you then just to another cooling lap rather than go over the grass. The supersprints I attend tell you to just go do another lap if you miss the pits.

Chances are if you only do one (rather than keep lapping out there), if they have a chat with you then they'll let it slide. The next session will be on its out lap anyway, so their pace won't be high.

Going over the grass risks a collision as well as pulling dirt onto the road. If you have to stop and sit there while everyone else drives past, then in the warmer and dryer seasons you run the risk of having your hot exhaust sitting over that grass and starting a fire.

It might sound a bit funny, but having hot exhaust sitting stationary on top of something combustable is what happened to Simon Hong's (http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?t=3013) car.

black200
16-06-07, 04:29 PM
Not that i don't agree that turning in on poeple and not letting them through is wrong and dangerous - technically you guys are in the wrong.

person in front has the right of way, and if they're not passing you - narada even said at the beginning of the day to come into the pits, wait for a gap and then go out again so you can't catch them.

(i'm not making any personal reference to anyone) but generally speaking people tend to take these events far, far too seriously

doofus
16-06-07, 04:44 PM
lol!

i certainly dont want to track with you guys... well, some of you. look at you guys bitch about ppl.. geez. like little girls. such heros, why didnt you guys confront them on the day instead of bitching online behind your monitor?

you are all pro drivers i guess... pfft.

scathing
16-06-07, 04:46 PM
I never said I was in the right, which is why I never forced the issue when I was behind the guy.

Had I wanted to, I could pulled the guy into a very dangerous braking duel and tucked up his inside. I would have been at least side-by-side, if not a little in front, had I chosen to. There might have been contact, but also maybe the guy would have chickened out if I was right in his face.

But we're not racing. So just like I'm not going to risk a "racing incident" and trade paint, why should they feel the need to defend their position...especially when there is no position.

I just expected a bit of courtesy. You get caught, you let people past. You're not racing for position, and on this specific day you're not even racing for time. So why actively baulk someone by coming off the line down the straights and jinking in front of them. They're not merely unaware that someone else is there, they're choosing to do something specifically to make it difficult for a faster car to pass them in a valid overtaking location.

Its especially the case if you've got a wagon train of several cars behind you - they don't all want to have to do a "pit lane penalty" just because you're slower. If the guy's compressed that many cars together, them all pitting in means you'll just hit other traffic lapping faster that hasn't quite caught the rolling roadblock yet.

scathing
16-06-07, 04:51 PM
i certainly dont want to track with you guys... well, some of you. look at you guys bitch about ppl.. geez. like little girls. such heros, why didnt you guys confront them on the day instead of bitching online behind your monitor?

I didn't need to, because I'd never be out on the track with them again that day. If I'd caught them consistently baulking me over several sessions, especially if I found out I wasn't the only one they'd done it it, I would have had a relatively friendly chat with them or had a chat with one of the organisers.

Why bitch about it on the Internet instead of confronting them on the day? Because just because I'm pissed about it doesn't mean I want to start a fight either. Its a lot better that we vent here, well after the fact, than in person at the time when we're all running high on adrenaline and testosterone and potentially coming to blows.

arron
17-06-07, 04:02 AM
I honestly think that most people who cause dangerous situations (ie. me), do so due to inexperience at the track. I reckon that a set of guidelines, rather than strict rules, should be announced to help first timers into creating an even safer environment..

I guess you will get someone who won't let you pass due to their ego/whatever, but that shouldn't affect you, especially on a event like the queen's bday event as it wasn't officially timed nor was it a competition.

It's all in good fun so maybe someone should have just approached the named person, and suggested letting cars pass when its safe to do so, in a nice way?

Also, when letting someone pass... is there a universal sign (eg. indicating) if you want them to pass you? And would it be better to keep to the outside or inside of the circuit when letting them pass?

I just wish someone had clarified these points.. haha...

fatboyz39
17-06-07, 08:46 AM
i found this at CC days, ppl with high power cars don't tend to let ppl with faster and lower hp cars. It really give me the shits when your faster around the corner riight up there ass and just blast you on the straight.

I had a fimiliar suituation with a white r33 at the last CC day.

Justin Fox
17-06-07, 09:04 AM
Usually the straight is where you let people pass or expect to pass.

On a Burrows Day you can't overtake on a corner, you can only overtake on the straight. This avoids accidents.

Justin Fox
17-06-07, 09:05 AM
PS: If someone in front of you is really giving you the shits because they're not letting you pass do a cool down lap then go at it again. Or, go into the pits for a drive through.

flameboy
17-06-07, 09:39 AM
hi guys...

sorry i'm new here and maybe i shouldnt say anything about it... but what i want to say is: i think the best way is to talk personally to the related party with a nice manner... its not a matter of who is right or wrong, but its for clearing any misunderstanding....

talking in the forum often cause some delay and often lead to misunderstanding because everyone has different way of interpreting what they read... so, you might want to consider that too as a precaution...

just my opinion... im not choosing sides or trying to be a smart ass... i just think anything can be settled in a proper manner...

imho

4agte
17-06-07, 11:34 AM
i agree if the guy is slowing you down come in to the pits and get some space having said that i saw quite a few things out there that could potentially have caused accidents when cars were side by side hence my previous comment

he wasnt the only one doing stupid things mind you i also saw some very shady passes being made i.e. someone passed another car thru the inside of the kink on the back straight of all places

scathing
17-06-07, 01:57 PM
I honestly think that most people who cause dangerous situations (ie. me), do so due to inexperience at the track. I reckon that a set of guidelines, rather than strict rules, should be announced to help first timers into creating an even safer environment..

Also, when letting someone pass... is there a universal sign (eg. indicating) if you want them to pass you? And would it be better to keep to the outside or inside of the circuit when letting them pass?

I just wish someone had clarified these points.. haha...

It was covered in the driver's briefing, which technically everyone was meant to attend in order to be allowed onto the track itself. At a CAMS event, you have to sign a sheet during the briefing to be allowed on.

Narada also offered people the chance of ask questions, and clarify any points he raised (and overtaking was mentioned).

If you want to let someone past, you're meant to point with your arm towards the side of the car you want to be passed on. Straight out to be passed on the driver's side, over the roof to be passed on the passenger side. Which side you pick will depend on the line. As the person in front has the right of way, its the responsibility of the person behind to pass safely. As such, the overtakee should stay on the line, and the overtaker should go around.

It would also be nice of that driver to lift off the throttle, in case the car behind is relatively underpowered and is catching people in the corners.

When I went out during Groups B and C I saw a lot of people using indicators, but that's technically verboten. In the course of driving you may accidentally hit the indicators, and if that's the case and the car assumes its a "wave-by" there could be a collision. No-one sticks their arm outside the car by accident, unless its in an accident.

I might clean up the above and write something on "track day etiquette" and email it to Narada, and see if he wants to publish it or use it as a base for guidelines that can be published.

Also perhaps, given the number of "newbies" that come to Circuit Club days, that the organisers could run a second driver's "debriefing" after Groups C and D after their first session to see if people have questions on etiquette once they've experienced what its actually like.

narada
17-06-07, 05:31 PM
as much as i would like to keep everybody happy (i really do!)..

what i say at every trackday and at every opportunity is that the person in front ALWAYS has the right of way.. this is the safest and most effective option

i agree with you alan, that slower cars should have some courtesy to faster cars behind, but at the end of the day, if they dont, you cannot expect them to... and i would say 99% of the time, they really dont mean it...

its like say you were in a club and you see a hot lady... just because you are making advances on her, its not her fault she doesnt want to sleep with you at the end of the night...

and what happens when you force it??? people get hurt, go to jail, and then everybody hates everyone...

ehehe

anyway i think we will try and reinforce some of these issues at the next trackday... ill think of something fun hehehe

narada
17-06-07, 05:32 PM
also, yeh alan a trackday ettiquite article would be nice =D

Brian_J
17-06-07, 05:58 PM
its like say you were in a club and you see a hot lady... just because you are making advances on her, its not her fault she doesnt want to sleep with you at the end of the night...

and what happens when you force it??? people get hurt, go to jail, and then everybody hates everyone...

ehehe

AHAHAHHAHAH
sorry narada but...worst..analogy..ever :P

Mr Happ
17-06-07, 05:59 PM
What a nightmare, looks like Circuit Club doesnt adhere to a no dickheads policy :lol:

Ideally you will have stewards monitoring the lapping. Racing Heroes should get 1 warning and then you are banned. When it doubt - let them pass.....

All this crap about braking duels, racing incidents is pure comedy. If people want to race wheel to wheel get a race car and race in prod sports.

narada
17-06-07, 06:54 PM
ahhaha i think we do adhere to a "no dickheads" policy

we just dont think that many "dickheads" really exist out there

the good thing about Circuit Club we believe is that the days are generally fun and people respect each other

having said that we try to educate people who come to the track to enjoy themselves and other peoples company

people here are just complaining about other people in front who happen to have been slower at some point at the recent trackday

on the actual day, there really wasnt anybody who wanted to be a racing hero, just a misjudement here and there (believing the person in front was going to let them pass), which they learnt from...

actually, in the 4 years we have been running events, we have had 3 incidents involving two cars, and all three have been down to both cars losing control at the same time, where fault can be put on both drivers, not just the one

also having discussions like these are also good for education, it helps people rationalise what should be the best attitude when out on the track

we arent here to tell people they are "dickheads" when they havent been one... we understand people at trackdays can get too excited and get carried away, so its our job to help them understand that too

i personally think we have made a difference in driving attitude over the years, so i dont believe that this is a nightmare at all =)

scathing
17-06-07, 08:28 PM
The reason I like going to Circuit Club days is because of the general lack of dickheads.

Go to your average Wakefield Open day and its pot luck. I've been out there some days with absolute heroes that would jink across 2/3 of the track width to stop someone passing down the main straight, and I've also been out there with CAMS Cx license holders who thinks everyone else has "qualified" for their license and will be OK with people sitting 2 feet off their bumper going in through the Kink or towards the fish hook.

Yeah I talk a lot about "racing incidents". But you'll also note that I also repeatedly say that I chose not to do such things, nor would I ever at such an event. I fail to see how consistently choosing the safer course, no matter how much it might frustrate me, makes me a dickhead.

Mr Happ
17-06-07, 08:57 PM
3 car-car incidents in 4 years? :shock: What is that 15 events or so?

Thats quite a lot when you consider all you are doing is super sprint style lapping.

Scathing - i wasnt inferring that you were a dickhead of course your action was what any sane person would do. However pointing out what you "could" have done to send someone to a firey demise does make you look a plonker :P

narada
17-06-07, 11:13 PM
OK 3 incidents is worse than 0... and honestly, we dont want ANY incidents on the track...

we try our best to make the days as well structured as possible to try and prevent further incidents, but you can never be perfect and already from this thread we have found new areas to improve

have you come to one before? We dont just do "supersprint style lapping". Our sessions are much longer, which is probably the reason some cars catch up to each other

i dont know anyone who pushes taking speed off the streets harder than we do. Over the past 2 years, from 10 to 20 of our entrants have been first timers, at least 60% of them under the age of 25

since we started i have personally seen a change in attitude towards driving in forum discussions alone

you should come to one of our days Rob... im not trying to be a smart arse, but we are always open to suggestions.. if you can help make it safer, then by all means

Jing
17-06-07, 11:28 PM

Some girls gets turned on when u force it

narada
17-06-07, 11:33 PM
jing your a dangerous man

Roadster
17-06-07, 11:57 PM
education on blue flag FTW

arron
18-06-07, 12:33 AM
It was covered in the driver's briefing, which technically everyone was meant to attend in order to be allowed onto the track itself. At a CAMS event, you have to sign a sheet during the briefing to be allowed on.

Argh shit! Lol.. i missed that briefing as I was scouting for a friggin petrol station with 98 RON for almost an hour...

Narada, you might remember me.. i came and asked you if i had time to go and fuel up my car at around 9AM... lol.. i was half expecting a briefing or sumthing but you didn't mention it so off I went... lol!

Oh well, thanks scathing for all you help.. Definately won't miss out on the next briefing..

And there were no marshalls on the circuit to Blue Flag anyway... was a free run

Justin Fox
18-06-07, 09:20 AM
Rob E's got a point in perhaps having a word to the people who are driving dangerously (or not letting faster cars pass). That would solve a few things that you're all heated about.

Narada's simple rule of the driver in front has the right of way works and it puts all of you who are complaining about a driver not letting you pass in the wrong. In this case, again, if you're behind someone that doesn't let you pass, then back off and let them go, or drive through pit lane. Remember that it's NOT a race.

If someone's driving dangerously on the day, or not letting faster cars pass (ie: racing, and purposely blocking the car behind from passing) then instead of trying to confront them in the pits, go and speak to Narada (or another Circuit Club official) about it. Leave the Circuit Club team to have a word with the driver/s in question. Simple as that.

I've always seen Circuit Club as an open track day style of event but with more familiar faces and a really awesome vibe on the day. I'd hate to see Circuit Club days become like other days out there. Each day to it's own I say!

VTECMACHINE
18-06-07, 09:41 AM
Justin: Well said about Circuit Club days. The day is all about being with mates, doing the 'stupid' stuff you usually did (Past tense) on the streets, in a safe enviroment. I think they are very well organised, and safe track days. The session are not made 'Races', but instead session where you can test your cars, and your driving ability making you learn.

Narada: I have learnt a hell alot about my driving, and doing these trackdays, has made me less confident on the streets. After doing this day in particular, and spinning out, has made me relise that if that was to happen on the street I would have killed myself. So as you have said, I have learnt a lot, my general attitude now is not to speed on the streets, as the right place for it is on the track.
Btw, I was not having a bitch about how 'slow' the cars were in front. It was how dangerous they were. I have no problem with people lapping at 1.30 - 1.50. But when it gets to a point, where someone is slower, and you give them time... and back off and do a cool down lap, or do a pit drive through, and then catch up to them 2 and a half laps after, and they still don't let you pass. That's frustrating.

scathing
18-06-07, 10:29 AM
Some girls gets turned on when u force it

Most call the cops.

Mr Happ
18-06-07, 12:44 PM
Narada, thanks for the invite.

Firstly, I am sure that your days are a mile ahead of an open day in terms of safety…..been there done that, and would only do it if only a couple of cars were out.

With regards to road cars lapping, I think that the first priority is for safety, with fun second. With that in mind it needs to be clear from the outset what is expected of the drivers, and the penalties for stepping over the line – ie. One warning and then you are gone. Its just too bloody dangerous to muck around with. Heaven forbid an incident at say WP’s kink. Drivers need to be very clear of passing protocol, trailing distance etc. While is is good to say that lead driver has right of way, it is incumbent on the lead driver to constantly check mirrors and provide opportunity to pass. Failing this, you get a situation whereby trailing drivers who may be faster get very frustrated and through this may try to sneak past. It might also be good to make designated passing areas as well so that passing must occurr at these points only and the lead driver must yield to faster cars.

DumHed
18-06-07, 01:50 PM
I think it's up to the following driver to keep it safe.
Track days are about people getting track experience and having fun. If you're taking it too seriously and being annoyed by people holding you up, maybe you're better off doing more competitive events like supersprints.

In my car, which doesn't have much straight line grunt, but corners stupidly fast, I'm always ending up behind slower people who have too much straight line speed for me to pass them.
Sometimes they let me past pretty soon, sometimes it's as though they don't realise I'm there, and never let me past.
I usually use it as a good opportunity to try different lines and work out how to really get extra speed out of corners for future passing use in competition.

I'd never throw my car up beside someone if I wasn't sure they knew I was going to pass, and I always leave enough safety margin to dive out of the way if the person in front loses it, brakes suddenly, or moves across my path.

If it's annoying I'll either back off for a lap, or give myself a drive through penalty, but usually I enjoy being able to really watch how another car drives compared to mine, and there are always more sessions later in the day :)

One thing I noticed though was a lot of people indicating and moving over to let me past. Obviously a lot of people didn't listen, or missed the drivers' briefing (which was very clear and simple about passing / letting people past etiquette).

Still, it's up to everyone to make any situation as safe as they can. If someone's doing something stupid in front, you'd be stupid to get yourself tangled up in it.