PDA

View Full Version : Drag Racing

ram
20-03-11, 04:15 PM
So I was never really into drag racing - I thought it was boring, required little skill compared to other motor sports etc etc.

But the other night, I watched this movie from the 1970's called Two Lane Blacktop, which was basically about these two dudes driving a bad as hell 55 Chevy which they built themselves across America, and just street racing peeps for money whenever they ran out of money.

A couple of things I noticed about the drag racing culture of that time reminded me alot of the way things are now. Back then (and possibly still now) drag racing was just as much about winning at the strip as it was about building a bad ass rig you could hardpark at the local car meet.

It was also a form of motorsport which didn't require a huge budget to get into, kind of like drifting today. All you needed was the right car, some mechanical know how and you were set to hit the track. If you car fucked out, you fixed it up and were back at the track the next week! And ofcourse, when you couldn't access a track you took it to the streets - again much like the drifting scene.

Anyway, this movie changed the way I looked at drag racing once I started to appreciate more of the cultural elements behind it so I thought I would share. Never thought I would say this, but also has me rethinking my stance (pun intended) for all the hellaflush stuff we are force fed these days. Seems like hardparking has been around since modifying cars began!

The 55 Chevy mentioned above:
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb250/ram_096/twolaneblacktop.jpg

Discuss!

best guy
20-03-11, 05:10 PM
Sports Compact drag racing is awesome, Jamboree is definitely one of the best car-related things that happens all year

Here in Australia we have an awesome high-tech drag racing community, we have the world's quickest AND fastest rotary powered vehicle with the PAC 6 and a full sized Pro Turbo / Pro FX field which is just so incredible to watch.

Then there's the 289 cars, street ish rotors and 4 cyl turbos making 500-900hp and running on a tiny 28x9 inch slick. The quickest of which run high 7s! All of them are manual too, and the drivers really have to row them down the track, as such a small tyre and monster boost really does leave them on the ragged edge

There's no doubt about it that drifting is my 'thing', it's what i do pretty much whenever I can, but drag racing is definitely second, I pit for a team a few times a year, we went to Calder at the end of last year and are racing again in 2 weeks at Sydney Jam, which is going to be huge! I've also run a few of my street cars over the years, for $50 you can't go wrong plus you get to hit the weigh bridge - WINNING

I'm not so much into the V8 Pro Street stuff, the ETs those cars run don't really justify the tyre and engine size they are equipped with by modern standards

brasher
20-03-11, 06:40 PM
wait until 10.5" takes of in Aus, it's massive in the States and the technology is second to none. Think Sport Compact with Twin Turbo Big blocks on "small" 10.5 inch slicks. Amazing action.

hCqxzh3bmx8

DLQuXzQYQr0

7T3RZCI0KPo

jArqhYnN7to

Chewbacca
20-03-11, 06:42 PM
Heaps of 'potato potato potato' V8's

I'd totally have enjoyed that more if it had no V8's in it

best guy
20-03-11, 06:44 PM
Fucking lol

Yeah campesi is campaigning on the outlaw 10.5 front here in aus, but until there are enough cars to support a field it won't hold a candle to pro turbo from a spectator point of view

people have been talking about 10.5 taking off in aus for years now.... Hurry up haha

brasher
20-03-11, 06:46 PM
I'd totally have enjoyed that more if it had no V8's in it

I WILL FUCK YOU WITH A RAKE!

Chewbacca
20-03-11, 06:53 PM

As long as there's no V8's, I'm kinda OK with that.

brasher
20-03-11, 06:55 PM
V8 powered rake dildo!

Chewbacca
20-03-11, 06:58 PM
V8 powered rake dildo!

Deals off muchacho. If it was rotary powered or RB or something, we'd probably have an enjoyable evening on the town.

trism
20-03-11, 07:37 PM
1/4 is fun, but im waiting for 8th mile to take off in aus.

itll make it more accesible as theres alot more places for a 1/8th track to be built over a 1/4

justinspiderholden
20-03-11, 07:51 PM
I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time and for those few seconds I'm free

G54B
20-03-11, 07:57 PM
Drag racing's what brought me into the car scene, I was watching the fuellers with Dad and thought "hey, this is pretty cool"
I still think that there is no greater motorsport spectacle than a pair of fuellers running a side by side 4.9sec pass, each with all eight candles ablaze :)

brasher
20-03-11, 08:01 PM

I say this to the Mr's before I get to business.

SANITORA
20-03-11, 08:22 PM
Top fun, get to your local track and give it a go

obs55v
20-03-11, 09:22 PM
drag racing is how i started off in motosports
still have my first time slip from wsid back in 2006 LOLLL

Oxer
20-03-11, 11:50 PM

Didnt even quote it properly...

I am disappont.

JDM-20L
21-03-11, 08:31 AM
drag racing is how i started off in motosports
still have my first time slip from wsid back in 2006 LOLLL

Likewise.. I think the first time I ever raced was at the old eastern creek when they use to run the drags there, then it moved to WSID last time I been there was a private meeting in 07 they are a bunch of thieving bastards running that place (read its a rip).... I remember at eastern creek they use to sell alcohol to the spectators, like the footy games there was pretty much the alcoholic hill! :lol: fun times!

prelure
21-03-11, 11:26 AM
i would like to go to eastern creek but have a feeling my car will get knocked off, heard some crazy stories of cars getting stolen the same night

bluesprinter
21-03-11, 12:10 PM
Drag racing, first come money, then the women, and then the power

brasher
21-03-11, 02:49 PM
i would like to go to eastern creek but have a feeling my car will get knocked off, heard some crazy stories of cars getting stolen the same night

I'm sure your car will be safe, but a lot of drag only gear does get knocked off. A Wollongong Performance shop got knocked off a couple of weeks back, 100's of thousands worth of gear stolen. With such a small close knit community and such rare items stolen seems like it's all bound for OS.

ATMOSR
23-03-11, 04:08 PM
Good topic idea. I think you are on to something with your analogy to grassroots drifting. Heading out to the WSID on a wednesday can be a cheap but fun night out, for not much outlay. Like drifting, you don't have to have a 1000 horsepower, fully tuned monster to have a go. I remember seeing a bloke from a workshop out at Compak Attak a while back using a standard Subaru Liberty wagon!

I think that the sport compact scene in Australia is pretty top notch; although I would like to see more official events in NSW. I went to my first Jamboree in QLD last year, and it was fantastic! :D
Prior to Compak Attak and Jamboree, I don't think there was any thing out there for 4/6/and rotaries?

For us JDMST guys, Japan had some of the toughest looking and performing machines out there. Remembering back to the early 2000's, via HPI, the scene appeared to be pretty popular at Central Circuit and Sendai Highlands. Seeing street regoed S-Chassis, FC's and FD's, and of course GTR's running awesome times on semi slicks was amazing! I remember a quote from an early HPI 'If your GTR runs slower then a ten, you might as well not show up' (or something to that effect).

I'm not sure of the drag racing scene in Japan today though..

gargz
23-03-11, 07:00 PM

Wouldn't surprise me you know..Alot of shady looking characters lurk those areas...

TiG
25-03-11, 07:54 PM
Wouldn't surprise me you know..Alot of shady looking characters lurk those areas...

tell me about.. i went twilight drift night late last year and there were a bunch of guys just smoking joints in their station wagon lol! speaking of drag race movies, american graffiti aint all that bad of a movie..

stuke
14-04-11, 09:32 PM
street drag racing is the shit back home,. very unfortunate we dont have it here in sydney

mikewl
15-04-11, 09:34 PM
this brings back the fast and the furious movies XD

SfS
19-04-11, 04:41 PM
I love drag racing. Not one thing beats the sound of a full throttle fueler running a 4.5 sec pass at dusk, its freaking amazing!

Boost Junkie
28-04-11, 08:38 AM
i've been obsessed with drag racing ever since my cousins built and raced old aussie muscle cars in the early 90s. i remember looking under the bonnet of his blown methanol injected Torana after a drive and having tears running down my face from the fumes plus loving the noise from open extractors. and it had massive dish way back then, 14 inch wide rims with 16 inch wide tyres. the whole "dish" and "wheel tuck" thing has been around for decades on drag cars.
i've recently decided to give up on making my 300zx into a circuit car and use it for only drags and powercruise type events. its so much cheaper to get into 1/4 mile racing. not to mention with a full manualised auto top gear skids will be a breeze.

Ben88
10-05-11, 02:08 AM
Yeah, im starting to take a bit more interest in the drag racing now as well. Seems like a much easier form of racing to make a compromise for while still keeping your car a daily driver especially if you want to run an auto since its actually a better choice for drag racing while setting up an auto for circuit racing isnt impossible, but its always going to take second place to a manual if you want to do any serious racing, plus higher profile tires are alot cheaper than low pro stuff. Top speed stuff like what top secret builds cars for is interesting as well for something a bit different.

joeyybruh
12-11-11, 03:52 PM

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL angry guy

Mark Webber
14-11-11, 09:29 AM
A lot of circuit guys are pretty snobby when it comes to drag racing. I have done both with the same car. I raced in sports compact for a few full seasons and now I race (door to door) with the same car. Drag racing with your car on a wednesday night is completely different to racing for real (DYO, competition lights, etc). I'll admit, I thoroughly enjoy racing for real now on the circuit more, but I don't regret drag racing for a second. Fun times :)

SVD115
15-11-11, 09:31 PM
it'd be nice if there were more places in vic that run drag events, i come from the SE suburbs, and it's like an hour-2 hour drive just to get to the drag strip...
that's what my R31 was built for, 2 way mechanical KAAZ, fully rebuilt and strengthened auto trans, line locker etc...

MFN-MAN
18-11-11, 10:46 AM
I worked with ANDRA for a while as a steward back in 03/04 ... some of the best times standing between top fuelers at full launch, getting up close and some real nice machinery during scruitneering. Street meets we're just as fun as you'd see various cars from clapped out VL's doing 6 or so runs a night (dude really pushing his car), seeing the TA 300ZX of UAS pop a 10second run, seeing the JDM_yard guys run through, swapping out their seats before hand...Good times!

MobiTechi
01-12-13, 04:14 PM
isn't 8th mile abit too short?