PDA

View Full Version : Juliette's SR20DET Converted N15 Pulsar Sedan

Pages : [1] 2

llama_au
17-06-07, 12:39 PM
All I can say is wow, I didn't know this site existed. Very cool!!! I can see I'll be hanging around. I've also realised I know a lot of people on here, so hello :)

I've owned my Pulsar since July '03 and have been modding it since day one (although it wasn't much to look at for at least 1.5 of those years as I was still paying it off.) It started life as a base model, 1998 S1 LX Sedan with hubcaps (I have pics if anyone wants a laugh.)

I won't bore you with details of the build other than to say it's barely been on the road since the start of '06 for many reasons, but it'll be back soon. I look forward to meeting everyone at some stage :)

Specs:

Car Details: Custom White '98 N15 Series 1 LX Sedan (Turbo)

Engine/Driveline:
- Fully engineered/VASS certified JDM Avenir PNW10 SR20DET (2L Turbo) conversion from stock GA16DE (1.6L Naturally Aspirated), custom wiring harness, retaining Air-con.
- Avenir Auto ECU re-mapped by Dr Drift
- Nismo 740cc injectors
- Genuine Z32 Airflow Meter with Bosch plug
- S15 Fuel Pump
- HKS EVC 6 Electronic Boost Controller
- HKS Oil Cap
- Nismo Radiator Cap
- SR20DE rubber engine mounts, solid filled (flexane) driver's side engine mount
- Two Aftermarket Auto Transmission Coolers
- 600x300x76 JustJap Front Mount Intercooler, custom mandrel-bent Stainless Steel piping
- Go Fast Bits StealthFX Plumb-back/Atmo Blow Off Valve (Black) - recirculates to pod box for legal reasons
- Custom Aluminium Pod Box with 3A Racing Pod Filter, Metal Intake Pipe, Battery Tray moved elsewhere in engine bay to suit
- GT28RS Disco Potato turbo .64 housing with modified actuator bracket and rod
- Pulsar RNN14 GTiR Exhaust Manifold
- Longer Manifold Studs
- Liverpool Exhaust 10mm Manifold Spacer Plate
- 3" full Stainless Steel Exhaust, Stainless Steel Sports Muffler with Droopy Chrome Tip
- CES Split GTi-R Dump Pipe HPC-coated silver
- CES Metal Substrate Catalytic Converter
- Pulse PHB650 Dry Cell Battery
- Pulsar N14 JDM SR18DE Auto Transmission with VLSD, rebuilt for turbo application completely from scratch;
Custom Valve Body
Custom Heavy Duty Clutch Packs and Hubs
Custom Heavy Duty Band and Drum 12mm wider than standard
Custom Torque Converter with Heavy Duty Lock Up Clutch and Roller Bearings
Custom machined Servo Assembly
Trans Go SR18DE Sentra Shift Kit

Suspension & Brakes:
- Tein Super Street Coilovers with Pillow-Ball Upper Mounts
- Tein Electronic Damper Force Control (EDFC) on each strut
- Whiteline Blade Adjustable Rear Swaybar
- Whiteline Adjustable Front Strut Brace
- Sentra B14/200sx Adjustable Rear Strut Brace
- Pulsar N15 SSS 28mm Front Swaybar
- Whiteline Front Swaybar D-Bushes
- Whiteline Front Swaybar End-link Bushes
- Whiteline Steering Rack Bushes
- Pulsar RNN14 GTi-R Front Calipers (AD22VF) sprayed gold
- Bendix Advance Brake Pads (front)
- DBA Slotted Rotors (front)
- Pulsar N15 SSS Rear Disc Brake rear axle conversion (calipers sprayed gold)
- Unknown pads and rotors (rear)

Body Modifications:
- Pulsar N15 S1 SSS Front Bumper (middle insert cut out for FMIC) with black aluminium mesh in brake ducts
- Topstage S1 Lip
- ASV N15 (VZ-R Copy) Side Skirts
- ASV N15 (VZ-R Copy) Sedan Rear Pods
- JDM Pulsar N15 Lucino Grille
- JDM Pulsar N15 GT Bootlid with high-mount brake light mounted in the spoiler
- De-stickered and de-badged bootlid
- Newstyle Eyelids
- Full respray in custom White with House of Kolor Ice Turquoise Pearl
- Black Bonnet with House of Kolor Ice Turquoise Pearl
- Colour-coded door handles and mirrors

Interior:
- Pulsar N15 S2 SSS Leather Steering Wheel
- 1Kg Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher mounted in the passenger foot well
- Defi DIN Cluster, head unit relocated to bottom DIN slot
- Defi Boost Gauge mounted to A-Pillar
- Aluminium pedals with rubber inserts
- Blue/Green EL Dials
- Black Recaro-style front reclining racing seats with custom rails
- Back seat & all door cards fully re-trimmed in black mesh material (to match front racing seats)
- Grey front and rear floor mats

Wheels & Tyres:
- 16x7.0" +35mm Watanabe Racing wheels in Grey with a Silver lip, 5mm spacers on the front
- Bridgestone 'Adrenalin RE001' 205/45/R16 tyres (Front)
- Hankook 'Ventus V8 RS H422' 205/45/R16 tyres (Rear)
- Nismo Extended Wheel Studs all round

Lights:
- Genuine Pulsar S1 N15 SSS Foglights and Switch
- Genuine Pulsar S2 N15 SSS black surround crystal Headlights
- Genuine Pulsar S2 N15 SSS Front Indicators (clear-modified with chrome/amber globes)
- Genuine Pulsar S2 N15 crystal Tail Lights
- Clear Side Indicators with amber flashing silver-painted globes
- Phillips 'Bluevision' headlight and parker globes
- Narva 'Plus 30' foglight globes

Windows:
- 20% tinted rear windscreen, rear quarter windows and rear side windows and 35% (darkest legal) tinted front side windows

Audio Details:
- Clarion DXZ656MP Head Unit
- Pioneer 6" 4 Way Speakers mounted behind stock door pods
- Pioneer 6x9" 3 Way Speakers mounted flush with rear parcel shelf

Other:
- Driver's Airbag
- Viper Paging Alarm with Remote Start

Replaced/Fixed:

*Knock Sensor.
*O2 Sensor.
*Water Pump.
*Sump.
*Hose to Water Pump.
*Timing Chain and all guides.
*Front Crank Shaft Seal.
*Cross-member shaved and spaced to clear engine.
*All manifold, turbo and dump pipe gaskets.
*Cooling System flushed.
*Front and rear wheel bearings.
*Driveshafts.
*Alternator.
*Air-con re-gassed.
*Every belt, hose and filter.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_iiETVuV-KgU/STIgNZfWMcI/AAAAAAAABlo/XTkoo3zwjUU/s720/DSC_5316.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_iiETVuV-KgU/STIhoRbk-VI/AAAAAAAABno/XlryUkP3gtc/s720/DSC_5335.JPG

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/SAU%20Show%20and%20Shine%20Nov%202008/PB300027.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/SAU%20Show%20and%20Shine%20Nov%202008/PB300035.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/SAU%20Show%20and%20Shine%20Nov%202008/PB300036.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/SAU%20Show%20and%20Shine%20Nov%202008/PB300030.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/SAU%20Show%20and%20Shine%20Nov%202008/PB300034.jpg

SR2O
17-06-07, 12:45 PM
Geez how did you find this site Juliette? :P

llama_au
17-06-07, 12:47 PM
You :P

van
17-06-07, 01:03 PM
Faaark, this better not signal an ozcruise invasion :P

Welcome Jules, and whoever SR20 is.

Time to put a manual box in that fucking thing already!

Sp33dY
17-06-07, 01:08 PM
Oh Noes .... Welcome! ............ u know what i think Juliette ;)

But for the sake of others who dont know u ...

Needs to be lower, less ricey, manual , correct wheel offset, and on the road more often. :)

PS: Welcome TommyBoy.

dhdevil
17-06-07, 01:15 PM
and manual.

llama_au
17-06-07, 01:24 PM
I can't believe I know all of you :P

Van - long time no speak!!!

I should have put a warning at the top of the thread - no manual comments. For the sake of anyone else reading this thread that hasn't met me, I like to do things the hard way. $6,000 (+ initial cost of $1100 for the original trans) Auto trans ftw!

Mikey - it'll be back on the road in the next few weeks, for good (until the next mods hehe)

Kaotic
17-06-07, 01:54 PM
OOOhhhh Noooo! Such a nice car but its auto:( What the heck...when people see u drive by thats the last thing they are gona care about.... i love the old school wantanabe rims on a new car! But i have to admit that i think the Dish rims u had previously were still hot....But clean ride and like speedy said, better offset and lowered a bit would be nicer... and welcome:)

lovesil
17-06-07, 01:57 PM
Nice front....although the back still look abit plain. BTW, your ride's running rather lean as according to the dyno sheet?

llama_au
17-06-07, 02:05 PM
Nice front....although the back still look abit plain. BTW, your ride's running rather lean as according to the dyno sheet?

It's a really old dyno sheet, just after the engine conversion was completed and just before the second transmission blew. It's currently having a lot of issues fixed (nothing related to the transmission, fingers crossed it's now bulletproof) but it should be running like a dream in the next few weeks, and I'll have a new dyno sheet for comparison :) I am interested to see how the dyno sheet looks now as it pops, crackles and backfires. It certainly gives the impression it's faster than it actually is. For the moment it's stock, aside from exhaust and induction.

I've always been meaning to do something to the back of the car, just never settled on what I want to do. I hate wings, so it rules that out.

OOOhhhh Noooo! Such a nice car but its auto:( What the heck...when people see u drive by thats the last thing they are gona care about.... i love the old school wantanabe rims on a new car! But i have to admit that i think the Dish rims u had previously were still hot....But clean ride and like speedy said, better offset and lowered a bit would be nicer... and welcome:)

The old rims were nice, but the quality of the finish on them was terrible and they weighed more than three of my current rims combined. Wanted something lightweight, rare and JDM. I waited a fair while to get these over from Japan. I know it'd look better lower, but with the lip it isn't practical. I love the lip, but I'm considering whether to take it off and lower it more or keep it at it's current height with the lip. I can't lower it more for daily driving and keep the lip intact :(

llama_au
17-06-07, 02:14 PM
Kaotic - here's a better pic of the old rims:

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Engine%20Conversion/?action=view&current=P4160022.jpg

anth
17-06-07, 02:31 PM
oh god...cant i go on ONE forum without having to see this car?!

lol =P

llama_au
17-06-07, 02:36 PM
oh god...cant i go on ONE forum without having to see this car?!

lol =P

Do you want me to answer than question? :lol:

van
17-06-07, 02:40 PM
As long as she plans on becoming a part of the community and joining discussions, I don't give a shit where she posts her car ;)

Kaotic
17-06-07, 02:42 PM
Kaotic - here's a better pic of the old rims:

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Engine%20Conversion/?action=view&current=P4160022.jpg

Ohhh i love the deep dish!! but yeah if its gona weigh a tonne then it was better that you dumped them... but JDM style is a good choice...

Mike.V?!
17-06-07, 02:53 PM
Oh dear, I hope you don't find the thread where I made fun of your car :/

Welcome to JDMST! More Melbournians! MORE I SAY!!!

llama_au
17-06-07, 02:55 PM
Oh dear, I hope you don't find the thread where I made fun of your car :/

Welcome to JDMST! More Melbournians! MORE I SAY!!!

The eyelid thread? Yes I did :P You're entitled to your opinion.

Mike.V?!
17-06-07, 02:59 PM
:oops:

Mike.V?!
17-06-07, 03:02 PM
Btw, JDMST > PGA

But you didn't hear that form me.

llama_au
17-06-07, 03:02 PM
:oops:

Honestly, I don't care. But I am confused as to what your comment in that thread means.

llama_au
17-06-07, 03:03 PM
Btw, JDMST > PGA

But you didn't hear that form me.

I've been on PGA since the day I got my car and I attend pretty much every event, that'll never change. I've made some good friends there.

Mike.V?!
17-06-07, 03:07 PM
Forum Warz!

Actually my opinion of PGA has nothing to do with you or your car. I just have issue with the way the site is run and moderated. I've seen some seriously cringe-worthy work from the mods there.

llama_au
17-06-07, 03:12 PM
Forum Warz!

Actually my opinion of PGA has nothing to do with you or your car. I just have issue with the way the site is run and moderated. I've seen some seriously cringe-worthy work from the mods there.

That's fair enough. It is very heavily moderated, but it works. I've moderated a few large forums over the years, and I like the way PGA is run for the most part (aside from a couple of moderators.)

Anyway, enough of PGA. Difference of opinion :)

What do you drive?

Mike.V?!
17-06-07, 03:23 PM
N14 DET.

:lol:

llama_au
17-06-07, 03:27 PM
You have PM :)

van
17-06-07, 03:28 PM
http://www.datingrelationshipslove.com/graphics/love-heart.jpg

Mike.V?!
17-06-07, 03:30 PM
Dickhead.

llama_au
17-06-07, 03:30 PM
Haha :lol: My other half has already posted in the thread (SR2O), he's just lurking.

van
17-06-07, 03:32 PM
Dickhead.

<3

llama_au
17-06-07, 04:38 PM
This is my daily:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Skyline%202/P5220001.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Skyline%202/P5220002.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Skyline%202/P5220003.jpg

It's a shitter, it was cheap, but it gets me from A - B. Can't complain too much I guess.

(thinking of Watanabes, cats-eye JDM headlights and a black bonnet for it, hehe)

Buddy
17-06-07, 05:42 PM
much better

PyRoMaNiAc
17-06-07, 05:54 PM
auto pfft :P

Sp33dY
17-06-07, 06:00 PM
lol @ Llame and MIke.V ... wwoooo ...... 2 turbo pulsar owners kissing in a tree ....

Why on earth hasnt your bf posted his car up ...... why did he bother registering at all if he's only going to contribute 1 post in his gf's thread? Im sure a few people on here will know what car he has ..... it'd probably get more love than yours :P

llama_au
17-06-07, 06:20 PM
lol @ Llame and MIke.V ... wwoooo ...... 2 turbo pulsar owners kissing in a tree ....

Why on earth hasnt your bf posted his car up ...... why did he bother registering at all if he's only going to contribute 1 post in his gf's thread? Im sure a few people on here will know what car he has ..... it'd probably get more love than yours :P

Oh haha :twisted:

He'll post up tonight now that you're pressuring him :P People off NS will recognise it. And yes, I'm sure it'll get more love. I'm always the black/white sheep wherever I post (no pun with my username intended.)

Kaotic
17-06-07, 06:48 PM
i thought the pulsar was your daily driver?...lol .... my bad

llama_au
17-06-07, 07:21 PM
~$2K R31 vs $50K+ Pulsar. But I could see how you could confuse the two hehe :)

llama_au
17-06-07, 07:28 PM

Happy?

http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?t=3565 :P

milkman
17-06-07, 07:52 PM
sp33dy just has sand in her vagina..

Sp33dY
17-06-07, 07:56 PM
Dont worry Milkman .... llama_au and I go way back :P

llama_au
17-06-07, 07:58 PM
It's true, in a completely non-sexual way though.

JMO
17-06-07, 08:56 PM
It's true, in a completely non-sexual way though.

I find that hard to believe :mrgreen:

Also Van's opinion's don't count anymore, he drives an oldman camery :P

llama_au
17-06-07, 09:06 PM
Oh not you :P

rakfint
18-06-07, 01:12 PM
Hi Jules, you don't know me.... but welcome to jdmst, suprised you weren't here long ago.... being the forum whore you are :p

have fun

llama_au
18-06-07, 08:17 PM
Hi Jules, you don't know me.... but welcome to jdmst, suprised you weren't here long ago.... being the forum whore you are :p

have fun

Not you too :P Hey Bob :)

doofus
18-06-07, 08:22 PM
welcome! :D

llama_au
18-06-07, 08:24 PM
Thanks. You're about the only person I don't know whose welcomed me. You've been talking to my other half on MSN ;)

black200
18-06-07, 08:39 PM
what a sleeper. noice :D

Deviliss
18-06-07, 08:47 PM
Nice ride!!

JMO
18-06-07, 10:59 PM
Is your car going to be going sometime this year julz, last time i saw it moving was when it was being towed by a Falcon last year on GOR, and i want to see what 50K buys you now days :?:

bogan
18-06-07, 11:27 PM
yum 50k.

I'd buy a black s15 and get myself a tomei crate engine to whack in, and then spend the rest on hookers and beers.

116kw! For 50k you need more pOWAHHHHHHHH!

ps. Welcome!

llama_au
18-06-07, 11:38 PM
wtf?! That wasn't my car being towed on GOR, that was Camren's DET N14 Hatch, bit of a difference in car there. It was also a Subie wagon that towed his car, not a Falcon. It was white though so I'll give you that :P Mine wasn't drivable then, I whored a ride in Billy's GTiR and Dan's XR6.

I've driven it on and off for the last year or so, but more off than on :(

It WILL be on the road in a week or so's time, once I've got the Engineer's Cert. done (not sure when) it'll be on the road for good. Well, until the mod bug hits.

It's not much to look at for $50K but put into perspective there's a reason there's been so much work to get it to where it is. I've been pretty indecisive, I'm on my third different set of wheels and tyres, I got bits painted numerous times and damage fixed, only to go and respray the entire car again anyway. I've blown two transmissions, I put an SR20DET into a sedan - if I had a SSS I would have halved the cost of the conversion (SR20DE-SR20DET is a relative bolt-in job), I've kept the car Auto and that's a first in Australia. Nearly everything on the car needs to be custom, there's not a lot of off the shelf parts. In hindsight I could have saved myself a lot of money.

So for the money, yes, it's a pretty modest package. But I've gone from 19-odd second car to a 14-odd second car (I'll know for sure when I get it near Heathcote) and the engine's dead stock apart from an exhaust and induction. So it might still be slow, but wiping 5 seconds of the quarter mile isn't something everyone can claim :)

Dave R
18-06-07, 11:53 PM
yum 50k.

I'd buy a black s15 and get myself a tomei crate engine to whack in, and then spend the rest on hookers and beers.

116kw! For 50k you need more pOWAHHHHHHHH!

ps. Welcome!

we all know ur dream car is a s15 dave... ull get it eventially.. and ull take me 4 a drive :P

and well do a photoshoot... better yet...

we do photoshoot of ur s13... !!!!

bogan
19-06-07, 12:08 AM
If you're happy, then I'm happy that you're happy. Though, why didn't you put a CA18 in...

CA18 > SR20... full stop.

Magnet
19-06-07, 12:25 AM
yiew, my NA SR makes 105rwkw with a $25 pod filter and $50 catback and some timing.... i think you need some more boost or something.

llama_au
19-06-07, 08:25 AM
All in good time :)

If you're happy, then I'm happy that you're happy. Though, why didn't you put a CA18 in...

CA18 > SR20... full stop.

The fact is the SR has more aftermarket support and you could never road register an N15 with a CA (the car is too new and the engine is too old.)

Justin Fox
19-06-07, 10:01 AM
Hey! Big mods list! I really like it.

It looks like your car has been through a few stages already... loving how it's looking.

Auto is fine by me (I mean... it's either auto or manual right?). I can understand why you might not want to slam the car either, many people don't want to go too low on their daily drivers.

Generally speaking I love the look, super clean and minimal rear, lots of potential, just not into the eyelids, they hide the gorgeous headlights and make the front a little too busy in my opinion, but apart from that I like it!

llama_au
19-06-07, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the welcome mate. The eyelids really are a love or hate thing, I've had them with both the old and current headlights, and I couldn't imagine them not being there. If I ever do change my mind though they can come off. Same with the lip. I might take them both off one day and see how I feel. This is probably the only forum I've joined that hasn't told me to slam it (aside from Mikey), which is great. It's barely a practical height as it is. It'd look nicer lower, but it's just not liveable.

OutLaw
19-06-07, 05:32 PM
Woah you must have out some serious doe into this car.... why??? Automatic FWD cars are NOT fun.

Need to get to daycare in a hurry or something??? :D

bogan
19-06-07, 05:42 PM
The fact is the SR has more aftermarket support and you could never road register an N15 with a CA (the car is too new and the engine is too old.)

lol, don't worry.. I'm just having a play around with you.

SR <3

llama_au
19-06-07, 08:55 PM
Woah you must have out some serious doe into this car.... why??? Automatic FWD cars are NOT fun.

Need to get to daycare in a hurry or something??? :D

That may be true for the most part. But add a turbo into the equation and it changes the whole car. Add an Auto that's built for a turbo car and it makes it a very enjoyable car to drive.

And no, I don't have kids ;)

Kaotic
19-06-07, 09:02 PM
maby her bf's stick is enough to handle?!?! hence the automatic...

llama_au
19-06-07, 09:11 PM
Haha, good call, I'll give you that.

llama_au
03-07-07, 10:32 PM
I thought I'd post up some individual pics of different items. The car's about a week or two from being on the road permanently (organising and engineer's cert.)

What it looked like stock (the only mods I'd done at this stage were rims, muffler and clear side indicators):

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/1018.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/back-end3.jpg

Rear Strut Brace:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/P5120021.jpg

EDFC on rear strut:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/P5120020.jpg

One of the transmission coolers:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/trans_cooler_lines.jpg

My pretties. Coilovers are the best mod to date:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/P5290005.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/P5310009.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/P5310004.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/P5290009.jpg

Whiteline goodies before they went in the car:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/whiteline_stuff.jpg

Interior retrim (yes, the plastic is green :lol: ):

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/back_of_front_seats.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/back_seat2.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/door_trim.jpg

El Dials on and off:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/el_dials_on.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/el_dials_off.jpg

Where the headunit sits now:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Engine%20Conversion/headunit_moved.jpg

Something's missing:

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Engine%20Conversion/P2200002.jpg

The old engine and transmission out:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Engine%20Conversion/P2200007.jpg

The new engine before it went in:

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Engine%20Conversion/d0edb163.jpg

An old engine bay pic post-conversion (outdated):

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Engine%20Conversion/P4010022.jpg

Inside the pod box:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Engine%20Conversion/P5010137.jpg

Exhaust and cooler:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Engine%20Conversion/P3080001.jpg

Dumpy tip:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Engine%20Conversion/P3080004.jpg

black200
03-07-07, 11:04 PM
get a SSS steering wheel and door trims, put the car ON THE DECK and its perfect :D

llama_au
03-07-07, 11:07 PM
People are asking too much for SSS steering wheels, but if a S2 leather airbag steering wheel comes up (same as S14 and R33) for the right price and in good condition I'll grab it.

This is just a joke, he's re-listed it a couple of times (it's lower in price than it was before):

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160133509848&rd=1&rd=1

As for the door trims - SSS are power windows, and I can't justify the extra weight or money when windies aren't much of an issue for me. One less electric to die. That and the plastics are a different colour (greyish black rather than greyish green), it'd involve changing my entire dash to match. It's not really worth the hassle :)

RINGERS23Q
04-07-07, 11:54 AM
Needs more dogbox :lol:

J
04-07-07, 02:45 PM
yiew, my NA SR makes 105rwkw with a $25 pod filter and $50 catback and some timing.... i think you need some more boost or something.

this is a valuable contribution and it was overlooked.

RINGERS23Q
04-07-07, 02:57 PM

Someone turned the bullshit meter on that dyno up a lot by the sounds of it.

llama_au
04-07-07, 07:11 PM
Needs more dogbox :lol:

It costs as much as a dogbox if that's any conciliation. Hopefully it'll last as long :P

this is a valuable contribution and it was overlooked.

No, I didn't overlook it, just had a quiet laugh to myself. There was no point in arguing, it wasn't going to achieve anything.

What car? S13/S14/S15 Silvia? N14/N15 Pulsar? Not at all possible if you're referring to a run of the mill Pulsar unless it was a JDM high comp with some mods, or it had an exhaust and cams.

A normal Australian-delivered N14 or N15 SR20DE makes around 75-85kw atfw stock (they are 105flywheel kw), 80-90kw atfw with an exhaust and a pod. It's been proven hundreds of times over.

It's enough power for me for the moment.

Consider the car has gone from roughly ~50fwkw to 116fwkw (old dyno sheet, dying Auto, running like crap) and it's a bit of an improvement.

Magnet
06-07-07, 10:00 PM
Someone turned the bullshit meter on that dyno up a lot by the sounds of it.
Actually, it was run at a silviaNSW dyno day at UNIgroup engineering, known for being one of the more accurate dynos around.

JustinS14
07-07-07, 11:25 AM
Actually, it was run at a silviaNSW dyno day at UNIgroup engineering, known for being one of the more accurate dynos around. Yep and it pulled same power at the dyno nite the year befor as well so its consistent as well.

RINGERS23Q
07-07-07, 01:29 PM
Musn't be your average sr20de then (compared to the sss ones). I'm thinking a high-comp jap one being out of a silvia etc...

llama_au
07-07-07, 02:05 PM
The point me and Ringers are making is what SR20DE in what car?

JustinS14
07-07-07, 07:25 PM
It's got vtec.

RINGERS23Q
08-07-07, 11:55 AM
:rolleyes:

PyRoMaNiAc
08-07-07, 12:18 PM
:| with rwd drive train loss...

1/4mile times + MPH is where its at... dyno's mean shit!

llama_au
08-07-07, 04:06 PM
Hopefully I'll have it down the strip in the next month or so. I don't expect any better than a mid-high 14 as is (stock boost, stock turbo) but that's better than a PB of 19.2 when it had the GA16DE in it ;)

Magnet
08-07-07, 04:11 PM
The point me and Ringers are making is what SR20DE in what car?

It's an S14 DE, so yeah the compression is 10:1 and it has VTC, but my point was it owes me hardly anything. I didn't ask for those nubs to quote me, twice, i wasn't trying to start anything.

1/4mile times + MPH is where its at... dyno's mean shit!

Corner speed it where it's at :)

llama_au
08-07-07, 04:20 PM
It's an S14 DE, so yeah the compression is 10:1 and it has VTC, but my point was it owes me hardly anything. I didn't ask for those nubs to quote me, twice, i wasn't trying to start anything.

Don't worry, I wasn't having a go at you. I knew they weren't comparing apples for apples. And my dyno figure is a bit misleading anyway. It was when the car could barely maintain an idle, had leaks from dump pipe and manifold, the transmission died less than a month later and it was generally running like arse. It was also done at Autosalon, so the result is questionable. It's probably making somewhere over 120fwkw even with an Auto behind it. There's plenty of manual cars with the same conversion, induction mods, exhaust and stock boost making between 110-120fwkw so it's a pretty realistic figure, actually pretty encouraging considering I should be losing more power with an Auto.

PyRoMaNiAc
08-07-07, 07:13 PM
Corner speed it where it's at :)

Hahaha too true but we're talking horespower here... not who has enough balls to plow down the OPH at breakneck.

;)

llama_au
22-07-07, 10:04 PM
I'm after a set of blue M12 x P1.25 wheel nuts (4 lock nuts, 12 wheel nuts) in blue if any sponsors on here sell them.

Interested in Enkei, Rays, etc.

Something like these:

http://www.gccorp.com.au/automotive/images/EnkeiNutSet.gif

RINGERS23Q
22-07-07, 11:12 PM
Gerard sells them :)

llama_au
23-07-07, 08:25 AM
That's where I stole the picture from. Just hunting for prices ;)

Sp33dY
23-07-07, 09:05 AM
Llama... go ring around ..... ask people yourself, rather than expecting people to do the work for u after looking at your thread ...... of all people i thought ud of learnt this lesson on the interweb ;)

Try JDMYard, R-Sense, etc. .

llama_au
23-07-07, 11:09 AM
Let me be lazy. And thanks, I shall ask them.

CORZA
23-07-07, 07:00 PM
Mu secret had some dont know if they came in blue though,

llama_au
01-08-07, 09:53 PM
It passed Engineers/VASS today. I now have a legal engine conversion, the engine number changed over with VicRoads and a massive weight (and $715 :() lifted off my shoulders. I am over the moon. It passed:

*An emissions test
*A noise test
*A 45 minute drive and brake test.
*A lengthy inspection on a hoist.

For anyone interested reading this, I had an N15 engineered successfully with:

*Drum brake rears and upgraded fronts (in my case AD22VF's and slotted rotors.)
*A BOV set to plumb-back, an enclosed Pod Filter and an FMIC.
*Spacers.
*An import, non-Australian delivered engine.

It helps that the conversion is fairly neat and there are no visible oil leaks, the car is visually not too 'out there', it's Auto and I know everything thats been done to it, hence I could answer any questions.

The only thing they suggested I look at were the vibrations through the chassis which they believed to be the exhaust. That would be my solid driver's side engine mount. It's give you a free back massage at idle.

Pics of it looking stockish :)

N14 SSS wheels:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/stockies_front.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/stockies_back.jpg

2.25" cat-back exhaust which makes it just under legal noise level (87dB) - it runs and sounds like arse but it's only temporary:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/little_catback.jpg

I didn't remove the lip as it is above legal height (12cm, 10cm is the lowest any point on the car can be.)

llama_au
08-08-07, 09:46 PM
I've got a rather large expense coming up when I can take my car off the road again (I'm hoping to hold out until the next service in 4,000km or so.)

Timing chain replacement as the timing chain is stretched. It's been noisy since the day I got the engine, but it's not a normal amount of slap and it is very audible at all revs whether the car is cold or hot. Including labour for the tensioner, new chain and guides I've been quoted roughly $1300-1600 as the head needs to come off. I'm thinking of replacing the headgasket while the head is off as a pre-cautionary measure; I've had suggested a Tomei or Cometic metal headgasket.

I know the price is about what a replacement engine would cost but the way I see it I could be buying the same or more problems with a new engine - and the timing chain would need replacing on it in the future anyway. Just bad luck :(

Any thoughts?

anth
08-08-07, 10:16 PM
my thoughts....the auto is to blame for all your problems. :P

llama_au
08-08-07, 10:17 PM
Poof :P

I kid. The Auto is the only perfect thing on the car, but I'm picky. Exactly the way it should be :)

rupewrecht
08-08-07, 10:24 PM
my thoughts....the auto is to blame for all your problems. :P

No, Juliette is :P

josh2.5
08-08-07, 11:01 PM
It was also done at Autosalon, so the result is questionable.

Why do you believe this? Is there something about the Dyno's that they use at Autosalon events that I'm not aware of?

llama_au
08-08-07, 11:05 PM
Why do you believe this? Is there something about the Dyno's that they use at Autosalon events that I'm not aware of?

Because some cars in the club I entered with dyno'ed the day before and made a lot less power than they should have on the Autosalon dyno. Dyno's do read differently, but it seemed quite odd.

It didn't matter, I won my category anyway because I was one of only two that entered. I don't care about that dyno figure, I'd like an updated one now the car runs properly before I think about any performance mods.

It's still stock.

josh2.5
08-08-07, 11:14 PM
Oh ok cool fair enough then.

rupewrecht
08-08-07, 11:28 PM
Oh ok cool fair enough then.

Don't try and reason/argue/talk to/understand llama. It's not worth the hassle :P :lol:

josh2.5
08-08-07, 11:29 PM
LOL righto.

I can actually understand what hes saying but :p

llama_au
09-08-07, 08:11 AM
I'm not a he :P

josh2.5
09-08-07, 09:53 AM
Oh shit sorry :p

I guess that would explain the auto haha

Sp33dY
09-08-07, 10:01 AM
Oh shit sorry :p

I guess that would explain the auto haha

http://www.ohsnapguild.com/images/ohsnap.png

Not all females are like llama though .... My gf got her manual license 12 months after getting her auto license all cos i encouraged her that auto sucked. She has now seen the light and find autos boring as all hell to drive :)

Rad
09-08-07, 11:09 AM
Auto's are for girls.

llama_au
09-08-07, 04:11 PM
Well that works then.

wokstar
09-08-07, 04:46 PM
i've always wondered why people put sr20dets into aus pulsars and spend big $$$$

why not buy a gtir for the same money/cheaper?

this is a genuine question so don't think i'm having a go at you :)

llama_au
09-08-07, 04:57 PM
That's okay, it's a fair question.

I can't speak for anybody else who owns one (SR20DET-conversions to Pulsars are so common these days - mine not so as it's the most expensive to convert), but my reason is that I love the car and plan to keep it indefinitely. I loved the car so much when I bought it (I bought it on my L Plates a bit over 4 years ago) that I began modding it straight away, it just made me want to drive and improve it. I decided about a year into owning it that I wanted to turbo it and knew what colour I wanted to eventually respray it, so everything has been planned in advance.

Basically I get in the car and it makes me want to take the long route wherever I'm going so I can drive it a bit longer. I regret a few decisions I've made and how long it's taken to even get to this point, but I don't regret the money spent.

Jazzle
09-08-07, 06:28 PM
i love and respect that spirit ;-)

wokstar
10-08-07, 10:27 AM
That's okay, it's a fair question.

I can't speak for anybody else who owns one (SR20DET-conversions to Pulsars are so common these days - mine not so as it's the most expensive to convert), but my reason is that I love the car and plan to keep it indefinitely. I loved the car so much when I bought it (I bought it on my L Plates a bit over 4 years ago) that I began modding it straight away, it just made me want to drive and improve it. I decided about a year into owning it that I wanted to turbo it and knew what colour I wanted to eventually respray it, so everything has been planned in advance.

Basically I get in the car and it makes me want to take the long route wherever I'm going so I can drive it a bit longer. I regret a few decisions I've made and how long it's taken to even get to this point, but I don't regret the money spent.

fair enough! as long as you love your car why not.

it's not my cup of tea but i can respect that philosophy :)

CORZA
10-08-07, 05:15 PM
I am turboing my pulsar at the end of this year, i think the main reason is that it is not too expensive to do (but depends what you do) and people go "its just a pulsar" and then woosh your gone. So the sleeper type effect.

RINGERS23Q
10-08-07, 07:41 PM
Because most GTI-Rs are slow :lol:

llama_au
11-08-07, 11:11 PM
I am turboing my pulsar at the end of this year, i think the main reason is that it is not too expensive to do (but depends what you do) and people go "its just a pulsar" and then woosh your gone. So the sleeper type effect.

I lose the sleeper effect with a FMIC and rather loud exhaust, but the rest of the car is fairly unassuming. I can't go out for a drive without someone trying to race me.

PyRoMaNiAc
13-08-07, 08:22 AM
Because most GTI-Rs are slow :lol:

True that mofo!!

llama_au
17-08-07, 08:59 PM
I know Ringers has already seen this on a PGA (and yes, I will be replacing it in a few thousand km's when I actually have funds to do so), but here's a vid I took today of the timing chain noise. You can hear it 20m from the car with the bonnet closed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvd4YeSBM3s

llama_au
25-08-07, 10:14 PM
N15 with an S15 front...almost. It would be pretty close to fitting, the width was almost identical :lol:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/s15_front.jpg

It looks gay with the lip removed, cooler and brackets hanging down ftl:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/front_bar_no_lip.jpg

And mine and my partners babies side by side:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/two_bubs_1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/two_bubs_2.jpg

Hehe, they're non-identical twins and born a year apart.

1998 model vs 1999 model
Both SR20DET
FWD vs RWD
Auto vs Manual
Four Door vs Two Door

But they've got their similarities. The fuel pumps are the same :D

It's not often they're parked next to each other but we were both doing work on them today (I was fixing a couple of things, he was attempting to install an FMIC to his.)

llama_au
05-09-07, 08:35 PM
I know Ringers has already seen this on a PGA (and yes, I will be replacing it in a few thousand km's when I actually have funds to do so), but here's a vid I took today of the timing chain noise. You can hear it 20m from the car with the bonnet closed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvd4YeSBM3s

^^^this noise should be gone shortly *touch wood* The car's gone into the workshop for the timing chain and guides to be changed.

I'm really not going to enjoy driving the Skyline for a few days :rolleyes:

llama_au
16-09-07, 05:25 PM
Woot, no more timing chain noise.

I'm really itching for a bigger turbo now.

llama_au
23-09-07, 12:54 AM
Hopped on the dyno today; 108.6fwkw on 8.4PSI.

A little video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzVufdh7fMw

And the dyno sheets:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/sheet.jpg

A bit disappointed but I guess it's more justification for whacking the HKS EVC 5 in that I just got for my birthday in and winding up the boost a little.

Jazzle
23-09-07, 01:32 AM
500nm torque?? :shock:

llama_au
23-09-07, 11:59 AM
Apparently, I did have a bit of a laugh. Torque figures on dyno's are pretty useless.

Last dyno I was on read 255nm which might have been a bit more believable.

llama_au
29-09-07, 05:04 PM
I'm currently eying off a JDM N15 Pulsar GT bootlid:

http://i6.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/b7/d3/8524_1.JPG

http://i1.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/b7/d3/857b_1.JPG

http://i22.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/b7/d3/85d6_1.JPG

http://i11.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/b7/d3/8627_1.JPG

http://i8.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/b7/d3/8693_1.JPG

I've wanted to add something to the rear of the car as it's always been very visually front heavy. The JDM bootlid also removes the integrated boot-mounted brake light which I've wanted to delete and integrates it into a rear spoiler. If I had have deleted it from the ADM bootlid I would still need to find somewhere to mount the high-mount brakelight for legality. The spoiler is different to the ADM model, but small and still fairly inconspicuous. If I win the auction it'll be de-badged, resprayed in my colour (my car is not the stock white) and my S2 taillights swapped onto it :)

llama_au
14-10-07, 02:41 PM
I attempted to take some videos after washing my car yesterday, needless to say it's near impossible to drive the car and turn corners with one hand, so I gave up and they were only short. This is what the car sounds like though :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl7EdW6K214
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_7sHWYWInY

And this is how loud my car is at idle, yes it gets very annoying but you get used to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQGnQ3dmKMM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0fC4Hor6OE

Curse you solid engine mount *shakes fists*

Kaotic
14-10-07, 02:48 PM
Awwww.... i forgot it was auto:( lol... but never the less it sounds nice!!

But i cant see the washed up car?

llama_au
14-10-07, 02:58 PM
I couldn't find any good spots to stop and take photo's. It still looks the same as the front page. It's that loud all the time (that was just cruising under light throttle), but there's a sweet spot at about 2,700rpm when it goes quiet. It's actually not that loud outside the car, it just sounds like a washing machine inside the car haha

llama_au
17-10-07, 09:11 PM
Woot, disc brake rear axle and HKS EVC 5 boost controller go on next week. After that I'm booked for an inspection with Dr Drift so he can assess my car before a re-map :D

Sp33dY
18-10-07, 02:05 PM
Arent u a tad disappointed by the power output ? Arent they 200 at the fly ? 108.6fwkw on 8.4PSI. sounds a bit low?

llama_au
18-10-07, 03:43 PM
Arent u a tad disappointed by the power output ? Arent they 200 at the fly ? 108.6fwkw on 8.4PSI. sounds a bit low?

164kw at the fly stock.

I'm roughly 5-10kw lower than a manual conversion stock. Last year I was dead on the same power as a stock manual conversion - difference in dyno read-outs. The motor is also 9 years old. No biggy really.

DrewMan
18-10-07, 06:36 PM
or you could get an rx8 which are about 170kw at the fly NA

llama_au
18-10-07, 07:06 PM
That has what to do with my car?

JustinS14
18-10-07, 08:36 PM
Or you could get a hektic bonnet scoop :P

Buddy
18-10-07, 08:53 PM
yea but they have bugger all torque

Neilus
18-10-07, 09:02 PM
Neither does a 4age really...

Buddy
18-10-07, 09:09 PM
yea but both takumi and tsychia drive them.. and we all know they cut sik.. its science

DVIOUS
19-10-07, 07:42 AM
jdm k20a ftw - 150kw atws STOCK!
works a treat in my jazz ;)

llama_au
19-10-07, 12:19 PM
Or you could get a hektic bonnet scoop :P

That would definitely add eleventy billion kw at the wheels, why didn't I think of that :oops:

All joking aside my under-bonnet temps are pretty high.

ae86slaver
19-10-07, 02:56 PM
ewk

not my cup of tea at all!

RINGERS23Q
19-10-07, 03:01 PM
jdm k20a ftw - 150kw atws STOCK!
works a treat in my jazz ;)

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA... i doubt that mate...

Julz01
19-10-07, 03:17 PM
car looks great keep up the good work and the spirit

Jazzle
19-10-07, 08:55 PM
ewk

not my cup of tea at all!

:rolleyes: then why bother to post in the thread?

llama_au
19-10-07, 09:32 PM
Meh, not phased. However I don't see the point in posting in someone else's thread to tell them I don't like their car, especially seeing as they offered no constructive criticism.

JustinS14
21-10-07, 01:21 AM
All joking aside my under-bonnet temps are pretty high. Still useing the factory rad? turbo will produce more heat, maybe bigger rad or a oil cooler?

llama_au
21-10-07, 11:53 AM
Still useing the factory rad? turbo will produce more heat, maybe bigger rad or a oil cooler?

Yep, the factory 1.6L N/A radiator. Surprisingly it's one part Nissan went overkill on and they seem to cope just fine with an SR20DET conversion. Of course if you get into silly power than an upgrade is needed.

My water temps aren't overly high and there's no signs of overheating. Just after a reasonably hard drive it's very, very hot under the bonnet.

I think an oil cooler would be a good idea down the track. I can smell it cooking a little, probably nothing abnormal but better to be safe than sorry.

I am running out of room for coolers though. I've got the radiator, air-con condenser, FMIC and two separate auto transmission coolers :oops:

llama_au
22-10-07, 09:06 PM
The rear axle is on now, the only thing that needed to be modified were the ends of the brake lines. The boost controller is next.

I have a had a setback though, I can't use the N15 SSS Brake Master Cylinder that I bought. Time for a bit of trail and error with the stock master cylinder to see if it's sufficient :(

funkmaster
23-10-07, 01:19 AM
your radiator should be fine
i've got the stock gti-r 16mm ... and its not too bad for the street
i believe n15's and aussie spec n14's came with thicker radiators something like 20mm? so thats all good for ur car and yes get an oil cooler if u plan on going track! my temps soared on a summer day at oran park

llama_au
23-10-07, 01:50 PM
That's true at least for the N14 - the Aus-spec SSS has a thicker radiator than the Jap-spec SSS.

llama_au
26-10-07, 07:14 PM
F'ken grrrrrrrrr :rant: *angry panda*

My turbo won't hold anything over stock boost. My workshop has tried hooking up both the electronic boost controller I bought and a manual boost controller and it refuses to hold any boost higher than stock. The A/F ratios also go nuts if it does eventually spike to 10PSI - but it won't go any higher and can't hold 10PSI, it falls back to 8PSI roughly.

Oh well, looks like I'll be buying the new turbo sooner rather than later.

Decided on a GT28RS 'Disco Potato' with a .64 trim. I'll also be looking at some 550cc injectors, haven't yet decided yet on the brand but I've been thinking about Sard or Nismo.

What a bitch. When I thought I'd lost power I had, I wasn't imagining it.

There you go Mikey - I now have a pretty valid reason for my low power figure, the turbo's nearly cactus.

llama_au
27-10-07, 11:17 PM
HKS EVC is installed (though the stock turbo is having trouble holding boost), my JDM GT bootlid with wing is painted and on and my disc brake rear axle is installed.

Photos (because I had to wash it tonight even though I can't take night-time photos for crap):

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/EVC.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/rear_brakes.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/side_with_wing.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/side_with_wing_2.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/wing_1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/wing_2.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/wing_3.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/wing_4.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/wing_5.jpg

ram
28-10-07, 10:32 AM
Hey~

I would just like to say that even though your car is not to my personal taste, I really appreciate your dedication to this thread!

It's been great to see your car 'growing'

CaptainColen
28-10-07, 11:11 AM
you need to chop those springs, so you don't do one wheel burnouts.
Looks nice a clean, even with the body kit :D

JustinS14
28-10-07, 12:25 PM
^Wow you mechanical knowledge is huge.

Omawari_San
28-10-07, 12:58 PM
though the stock turbo is having trouble holding boost
Doesnt it hold the boost due to its size, or because of the boostcontroller?

I found out that it works best when you use the mapping function and adjust the boost and offset relative to the revs. Correcting it relative to the throttle or the speed didnt made sense in my eyes.

llama_au
28-10-07, 01:25 PM
you need to chop those springs, so you don't do one wheel burnouts.
Looks nice a clean, even with the body kit :D

Dude, I have coilovers. I just don't feel the need to dump my car on it's tits because I drive it every day. It handles better at this height anyway ;)

Doesnt it hold the boost due to its size, or because of the boostcontroller?

I found out that it works best when you use the mapping function and adjust the boost and offset relative to the revs. Correcting it relative to the throttle or the speed didnt made sense in my eyes.

I think the stock turbo's on it's last legs. Just an excuse for me to get a GT28RS :D

llama_au
29-10-07, 09:35 PM
Some day time pics before it got dark tonight:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/side_day.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/back_day_1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/back_day_2.jpg

llama_au
05-11-07, 10:34 PM
Pulse Dry Cell Battery installed:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/PB050013.jpg

You can also see the boost controller solenoid in this one:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/PB050012.jpg

It's a Pulse in my Pulsar haha

llama_au
15-11-07, 10:14 PM
Painted another rocker cover and chucked it on, can't decide whether I want to leave it as is or polish the letters:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/SCS%202007/PB130087.jpg

Sp33dY
15-11-07, 10:41 PM
polish the letters with the trusty dremel ... will look heaps better.

llama_au
15-11-07, 10:43 PM
If I can find where the dremel walked to :(

Rad
15-11-07, 10:48 PM
Eh? factory ignition leads?

llama_au
15-11-07, 10:56 PM
Yeah, no reason to change them. They work fine.

dead32
15-11-07, 11:42 PM
what bout the rice points though? gota change dem leads

llama_au
15-11-07, 11:56 PM
While I'm at it I may as well add an intake vortex generator :P

Buddah
16-11-07, 12:44 AM
I say leave it, it looks kinda stealthy, then again it is inside your car, so its not like everyone is going to see it. Whatever you do it should look good anyways.

llama_au
21-11-07, 08:28 PM
The car's been in the workshop since Saturday to have some minor issues fixed, and it'll be pimping on N14 SSS stockies for a while...*ewwwwww* I've had the knock sensor replaced, an issue with a bolt on the rear axle fixed, an issue with the exhaust touching the shifter fixed, plus an oil and filter change. Nothing big. It's almost back to be mechanically perfect again :)

The Watanabes have a few issues. The balance is out, particuarly on one or both of the fronts. The car shakes violently at anything over 100kmp/h. It made the trip from VIC to SA and back this month rather tiring. I've also been wanting to get minor gutter rash on one wheel fixed (my fault), the lips professionally polished and all of the centres re-powdercoated. At present I don't have the correct wheel nuts so after some repeated heating and cooling (read: the track day I attended this month) they begin to heat, strip and undo themselves. I nearly found that out the hard way. I've bought Nismo longer wheel studs (thanks GCCORP) so once I have found the correct nuts and the Watanabes have been fixed they'll go back on.

They look like this:

http://www.gccorp.com.au/automotive/images/nismo_studs.jpg

I'll be picking it up this Saturday and it should be a little more pleasurable to drive on the stockies.

llama_au
01-12-07, 10:19 PM
130kw :)

Updates: the remap is done (not without a hiccup or two, but it wouldn't be my car if everything went smoothly.) The turbo still won't hold boost and upping the boost currently seems to yield very minimal gains. It's the same regardless of whether a manual or electronic boost controller is hooked up, and it wouldn't hold boost even with no boost controller previously. New turbo time soon. The good news is that the car runs very smoothly now, not too lean or too rich, the timing seems to be a little better and there's no knocking past 15PSI according to Dr Drift (not that I'll be running that.) The low boost setting is now 10PSI and the high boost setting is now 14PSI. The boost cut and speed cut have been removed from the ECU (and I consequently have no use for my Speed Cut Defender so it's for sale...) and the rev limit has been increased to 7500rpm.

Here are the dyno graphs:

Stock 10PSI vs Tuned 10PSI:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/Stock10PSIvsTune10PSI.jpg

Tuned 10PSI:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/10PSIaftertune.jpg

Tuned 14PSI:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/14PSIaftertune.jpg

Tuned 10PSI vs Tuned 14PSI:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/10PSIvs14PSI.jpg

My next plans are a GT28RS with .64 trim, a less restrictive dump pipe, S15 480cc injectors, Tomei Rocker Arm Stoppers and a retune.

Thank you to Dr Drift.

llama_au
02-12-07, 10:33 PM
And I ran it today.

13.99 @ 100mph. I am absolutely over the moon with the time, considering at top end the boost dropped to 8/9PSI (hence the shitty mph.) Certainly quicker times in it. Just need a bigger turbo now :D

llama_au
22-12-07, 05:27 PM
Some photos from earlier in the month when I ran it at Heathcote:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/llama1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/heathcote_071202_004b.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/heathcote_071202_076b.jpg

http://image-cache.boostcruising.com/database/readersrides/files/post-45642-1196765488454725989.jpg

Chidori
22-12-07, 06:38 PM
nice car. . .

i reckon the last pic looks heaps good.

llama_au
22-12-07, 06:46 PM
Cheers, a friend of mine took that. You can get right next to the cars at Heathcote and take photos.

littledude94
23-12-07, 08:56 PM
Nice look. But.....

MANUAL!!!

llama_au
23-12-07, 09:18 PM
I'll die before it's manual :P

llama_au
27-12-07, 05:46 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/PC270003.jpg

Nismo 740cc injectors with o-rings, just picked them up today.

GT28RS 'Disco Potato' .64 housing, turbo blanket and braided lines are on order. So exciting :)

PyRoMaNiAc
27-12-07, 06:47 PM
that turbo is like way to small for those injectors...

turbo blanket is useless in a low mount config.

Vashcat
27-12-07, 07:35 PM
wait wait, lama is a female?!??! lawl
Nice new dyno and times!

dead32
27-12-07, 07:36 PM
for the price diff between 550's n 740's i wouldve went the larger injectors aswell. however the beanie aint gona do shit all except help ur turbo to die sooner.

PyRoMaNiAc
27-12-07, 07:50 PM
wait wait, lama is a female?!??! lawl!

Yes hence her inability to use a clutch pedal :twisted:

Vashcat
27-12-07, 07:57 PM
lolololololol

llama_au
27-12-07, 08:04 PM
that turbo is like way to small for those injectors...

turbo blanket is useless in a low mount config.

I went for 740cc's over 550cc's as the price difference is so small. I picked up the 740cc's with o-rings for $580. I don't care if I won't utilise most of their potential. And the turbo blanket will serve it's purpose just fine.

I think I'm going to have a few clearance issues with this turbo using a GTi-R manifold (sourced for $50 wooooot) as there's the stock thermo fans & shroud and the air-con in the way. There's already a bee's dick of clearance. We'll see.

wait wait, lama is a female?!??! lawl
Nice new dyno and times!

Yes I am. I thought my name may have given that away though :P And cheers, hoping to run better times in the next few months. Chasing Pyro & Ringers but I won't be there for a while/ever.

PyRoMaNiAc
27-12-07, 08:05 PM
for the price diff between 550's n 740's i wouldve went the larger injectors aswell. however the beanie aint gona do shit all except help ur turbo to die sooner.

for the power output that the GT28RS is going to put out the 740cc's are going to be overkill.

Idle is going to be funky + overall tuneability would have been much easier with 550cc with her target of 200fwkw

PyRoMaNiAc
27-12-07, 08:11 PM
I think I'm going to have a few clearance issues with this turbo using a GTi-R manifold (sourced for $50 wooooot) as there's the stock thermo fans & shroud and the air-con in the way. There's already a bee's dick of clearance. We'll see.

We are tackling this on the weekend... going to be a fun one!

llama_au
27-12-07, 08:22 PM
Let me know how it goes!

dead32
28-12-07, 01:13 AM
plenty sr20's with 740's ++ and cams etc. itll idle fine.

RINGERS23Q
28-12-07, 10:01 AM
Who cares about the idle... thats half the reason you get bigger cams :lol:

llama_au
05-01-08, 05:36 PM
New additions:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/disco_4.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/disco_1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/disco_2.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/disco_3.jpg

Not sure when it'll be on the car. Taken the car off the road since Wednesday due to a grinding noise on throttle. I'm praying it's just the stock turbo that's given up the ghost (I knew it was on the way out) and not something more sinister :(

Alfadog
05-01-08, 05:47 PM
That's one big arse turbo. Get it on, quick :D

llama_au
05-01-08, 05:54 PM
It's really not that big, I was surprised how small it was, it's just heavy.

llama_au
13-01-08, 09:00 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/P1130003.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/P1130004.jpg

GTi-R manifold, which means the turbo should go on next week. Also getting a CES dump pipe (HPC-coated) and a new cat - probably a MetalCat. The cat had collapsed internally which was the source of a really loud grinding noise at certain RPM.

chuingbeans
13-01-08, 10:02 PM
wooo shiny new parts, and not so shiny parts :D

llama_au
13-01-08, 10:32 PM
haha yeah, well the manifold is old but it's not rusty so that's a bonus. Only cost me a fiddy :D Should do the job just fine.

Rad
13-01-08, 10:33 PM
Good condition, mines the same.

llama_au
13-01-08, 10:37 PM
It hasn't really been sitting around, came off Andy (XPT3)'s old motor literally 5 mins before I picked it up today :)

llama_au
15-01-08, 10:29 PM
3" MetalCat may have been 3-6 months lead time, so I've gone with a 3" CES Metal Substrate cat.

To go on my car next week are the GTi-R Manifold in pics above, the GT28RS, a CES dump pipe (coated HPC ceramic silver) and a CES metal cat. Then, if there's time it's off to have the 740cc injectors installed and be re-tuned. If there isn't time for injector install and re-tune, I have a track day in less than two weeks so it'll be run on low boost until it can be booked in for the injectors and re-tune to be done.

I'm looking forward to having it back, my purse isn't :lol:

llama_au
21-01-08, 10:56 PM
My new turbo doesn't fit at the moment.

F'ken, f'ken, f'ken grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'll weigh up my different options on Wednesday when I go and see the car. It can fit but there's a custom work involved.

*SIGH*

Kaotic
21-01-08, 10:59 PM
New turbo pumping out a lot more boost??

What psi are you running this at if it goes in?

PyRoMaNiAc
21-01-08, 11:10 PM
My new turbo doesn't fit at the moment.

F'ken, f'ken, f'ken grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'll weigh up my different options on Wednesday when I go and see the car. It can fit but there's a custom work involved.

*SIGH*

LoL... how do u mean it doesnt fit?

my 71r fits fine with an iR manifold + Spacer Plate.

llama_au
21-01-08, 11:45 PM
Needs a spacer plate (that part I didn't know...) as it's not clearing the block or bottom of the transmission and apparently the actuator is in the wrong position? I may have misheard. I'll know on Wednesday when I see it and find out what needs to be done.

Where'd you get the spacer plate done and do you have their contact details? My mechanic seems to be able to find them for roughly a 5mm spacer but any larger would need to be programmed from scratch and laser cut?!

Kaotic - I'll be running 10PSI on low boost and 18PSI on high boost, but I can run any boost I want through the boost controller I have with the flick of a dial. 18PSI should net me pretty reasonable power, I'd be disappointed with less than 180fwkw from that much boost.

llama_au
23-01-08, 10:46 PM
Progress is always a good thing :)

As per this thread (http://forum.pulsar.org.au/showthread.php?t=75309), to run a GT28RS on an Avenir engine with a GTi-R manifold you need a spacer. I've ordered a 10mm cylinder head to manifold spacer from Liverpool Exhaust in NSW, which should arrive to my mechanic by Friday. Here are some picture of the turbo sitting on the manifold, literally. Nothing is connected, but you'll see why there's clearance issues. I don't have photos of the actuator where it should be because you can't even hold the actuator in a stock position, the GTi-R manifold is completely the wrong design for where it should sit. So it'll need some mods. But mods that can be done.

Enough talking, pictures:

Goodbye old friend (not!)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/P1230006.jpg

Hello new friend!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/P1230004.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/P1230003.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/P1230002.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/P1230001.jpg

Incase you're wondering why there's so much space front-ways, there's no fans in the car :lol: That will change though, and then there'll be clearance issues all over again.

Dave R
23-01-08, 10:49 PM
LOL! i was just gona say 'i wish the turbo's iv had 2 replace have had that much room' :P

but yer looks farkn awesome :D

keep up the good work and the great updates!!!

llama_au
23-01-08, 10:51 PM
I thought I better not post and forget to explain there's no fans in the bay at the moment. It would've had people scratching their heads though haha :lol:

Vashcat
24-01-08, 07:35 PM
Juliette you are putting some serious effort into this pulsar! And quiet quickly too!
Well done, ive always watched your thread!
Also any updates on the r34?

llama_au
24-01-08, 11:00 PM
R34 would be leaving Japan shortly with any luck. I don't know how much longer I can wait, the R31 is killing me :)

PyRoMaNiAc
24-01-08, 11:56 PM
get it going by next w/e, i wanna race :P

llama_au
25-01-08, 12:00 AM
I won't be racing it at Compact Attack if that's what you're thinking. Even if it's finished (it should be) I want to get used to it before I take it down the quarter again.

You'd win anyway :)

I am spectating though. I was supposed to track it at Winton this weekend, was never going to happen :( I'm spectating that too.

llama_au
06-02-08, 09:38 PM
The car’s not back yet because I accidentally sold my O2 sensor with the turbo when I should have kept it, so I have to replace it (again :( ) I’m changing a couple of things while it’s at the workshop, I figure it’s better to finish it completely in one go.

The pod box has always been a little tacky, so that’s being replaced with a custom aluminium item. The diameter of the corrugated plastic intake piping is too large for the new inlet on the turbo, so that’s being replaced with custom metal piping (induction noise is going to be VERY loud now. More flutters haha.) It would have probably been sucked in on itself with more airflow so it really needed to be replaced anyway.

It’ll probably be finished in the next couple of days, pending when the new O2 sensor arrives. Then I’ll book it in for a re-tune.

Nearly there!

van
06-02-08, 09:43 PM
I hope you're gonna put this much money and effort into the GT-T, Jules!

llama_au
06-02-08, 09:44 PM
Not a chance ;)

van
06-02-08, 09:52 PM
Ah well, at least you're continuing to give us all something to chuckle about :P ;)

llama_au
06-02-08, 09:52 PM
Glad I'm a source of entertainment for everyone ;)

Edited with emoticon for Van :P

llama_au
12-02-08, 10:22 PM
I finally got the car back today, after a week of further problems. The car developed idle gremlins that just wouldn't go away (as much as idling at 500rpm, the car shaking and sounding like a rotor sounds cool - it is not cool!!!)

All I can say is...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee *major excitement*

I LOVE MY CAR AGAIN.

I have no idea how, why or even if it's normal but the low down torque is so much greater. It's reaching certain speeds at much lower rpm than it used to. The Auto is shifting at much much higher speeds (and this is something I can measure as I know what it used to shift at) but the same RPM.

ie. where it used to shift 2nd-3rd at 55kmp/h on ~4,500rpm it's now shifting at 70kmp/h+ at the same RPM. It's now shifting 1st-2nd at 40kmp/h which I can see is going to get annoying for low speed driving. It used to shift at 25kmp/h. This is also in vacuum - nowhere near boost.

More power without even touching boost. Sweet!

She gets tuned in two weeks, then I'll know how much power she's making. Until then I need to granny drive her everywhere. Specs updated on the first page.

llama_au
13-02-08, 08:22 PM
Pics as promised, and she's running great.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/P2130019.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/P2130018.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/P2130001.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/P2130005.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/P2130004.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/P2130009.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/P2130011.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/P2130016.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/P2130017.jpg

AB7
14-02-08, 12:13 AM
Sweet!!! nice one, who did the job? looks very well fabricated

llama_au
14-02-08, 11:29 PM
Which part? It's been around haha :lol:

llama_au
25-02-08, 02:34 PM
The car should be getting a tune tomorrow night, so I should have a power figure to report on Wednesday. Hoping for 180-200fwkw, certainly not less than 180fwkw. It's currently only running standard wastegate boost but OMFG it's quick at even half throttle. I haven't given it full throttle because I can't until it's tuned. It's going to be wheelspin city with more boost :(

Some pics people snapped yesterday on the way to the Great Ocean Road, I did roughly 550km's - at least a couple of hundred km's of twisties. God it was fun :D

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/IMG_8504.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/gor08026.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/IMG_5821.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/IMG_8550.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/IMG_5836.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/gor08016.jpg

llama_au
27-02-08, 07:39 PM
It almost maxes out the stock injectors and AFM on stock boost. However stock boost on a Disco Potato as I found out is 14PSI.

It wasn't re-tuned last night as it was so close to maxxing out the current setup that there was no point - putting the injectors in now would have been pointless as the AFM would still max out and vice versa. It also didn't require a re-tune at all, AFR's were perfect so no point in touching them. The only thing Dr Drift did was take out a little timing as it was knocking a tiny bit.

So I now have a Z32 AFM and genuine Bosch plug to go on, Dr Drift is remaking the pipe that goes directly after my AFM as it's now too long (the Z32 is much bigger) and it'll be tuned for 18PSI, which it should happily run. It should be easily good for over 200kw, but we'll see.

All I know is it's quick, and it's going to be much quicker. It's a bit laggier which means there's next to no wheelspin on take-off (actually most times there is none) and there's no axle tramp, so if it stays this way it should run good times, at least I hope.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/P2260008-1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/P2260005.jpg

llama_au
26-03-08, 12:18 AM
No updates as I'm still waiting to book in for a tune. I've also had a few little issues fixed - burst a big hose behind the manifold. Fortunately it happened in my driveway so I had it towed and fixed. Fixed oil leaks from the same sort of area. No more oil leaks!!! Machined the front rotors I had warped on a track day. And the car got an oil and filter change, and another coolant flush (because it had to be drained when the hose got replaced.)

Anyway, some more pics taken on a cruise/meet this weekend:

Me kicking up dust:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/IMG_3928.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/P3220076.jpg

Attracting a crowd:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/P3210040.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/P3210041.jpg

obs55v
27-03-08, 12:53 AM
havent seen this thread before but WOW u have taste.
absolutely love the car well done !!
altho one thing lol sand the letters on the rocker cover to give em that nice polished silver look !!!
once again keep up the great work and well done!

llama_au
29-03-08, 02:36 PM
Thanks mate! I'll probably sand the letters next time I re-paint it. It always ends up getting chipped by mechanics.

llama_au
05-04-08, 09:20 PM
PULSER likes her new friend:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Skyline%203/P4050003.jpg

llama_au
03-05-08, 08:14 PM
Got 3 runs in at Calder, I've never run at Calder before. All were pretty similar.

N15 LX Sedan
Avenir PNW10 SR20DET - Auto
GT28RS running 14PSI (stock boost) - 158.5fwkw
Average street tyres, everything in the car including the spare wheel
Ambient Temp: don't know, f'ken cold
Calder Park Raceway, VIC - 02/05/08

1st Run:

- 60ft: 2.359
- Elapsed Time: 13.611
- Trap Speed: 106.58mph

2nd Run:

- 60ft: 2.314
- Elapsed Time: 13.563
- Trap Speed: 104.18mph

3rd Run:

- 60ft: 2.321
- Elapsed Time: 13.579
- Trap Speed: 104.94mph

Still had fun but I was hoping for better. My 60ft time is worse than with the T25g, I'd kinda guessed that as it's a bit laggy off the line and then OMFG wheelspin for another 100-200m. The wheelspin was pretty shocking last night, combination of rain all day, average street tyres and my LSD packing up and going home. I also completely locked up my brakes braking from 200kmp/h on the first run and caused massive flat spots.

Well a few updates. After taking the car down the quarter last night, I have a few upgrades planned. I'm still yet to get the Auto sorted and the car tuned, but that's not too far away now. Additionally to that I've discovered my LSD is completely f*cking useless. Every burnout (I only did three) resulted in massive single-spinners. These photos should give you an idea:

One side of the car:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/P5030001.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/P5030002.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/P5030003.jpg

The other side:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/P5030004.jpg

A side note: rubber is really f*cking hard to get off the car. I spent a while today trying to get the caked rubber out of the guards from last night and previous times. The rubber extended over the roof and even onto the bootlid :lol:

I'm really not sure what my options are in the LSD department, being that I don't think that SR18DE Auto had many aftermarket performance parts. I have an SR18DE shift kit (so there are aftermarket parts) but I'm not sure if there are any more options aside from replacing the VSLD available as off the shelf items. I'll have to speak to my Auto guy when it goes in next, it's quite overdue for it's yearly service but I've been wanting to hold off until it's tuned for high boost so he can see how much of a pig it is to drive on the street at the moment.

I also upgraded my front tyres today after locking them up at 200kmp/h and sliding for a couple of hundred metres (oops.) Times like these I could have done with ABS. I think my brake bias is also waaaaaaaay out. I didn't even slam on the brakes but they gripped so hard at that speed that I just went into a massive forward slide. Lets just say the flat spots I left were massive.

New tyres:

Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE001 :D

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/P5030005.jpg

I'm looking forward to the injectors, AFM and tune to happen soon. Then it'll be getting the shift points on the Auto sorted. Then it'll be more boost and down the quarter again to see what change it's made :)

TYPE S
05-05-08, 04:07 PM
Holy moly!

-parkes-
12-05-08, 06:31 PM
13.563 awesome time! Congrats!

llama_au
12-05-08, 06:34 PM
Thank you! I'm hanging for a tune and 18PSI. Should hopefully get me down to a high 12 with the LSD sorted out.

llama_au
06-06-08, 07:32 PM
http://blog.paulbetts.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/dasfailboot.jpg

So, it had a tune last night. Z32 AFM, new intake pipe and 740cc injectors went on. It wasn't hard for Dr Drift to get it running well fairly soon after. That's when it hit a brick wall...don't worry, not literally.

On 13PSI the car makes 160fwkw
On 14PSI the car makes 160fwkw
On 15PSI the car makes 160fwkw
On 16PSI the car makes 160fwkw
On 17PSI the car makes 160fwkw

...I'm sure you get the picture. Seriously...WTF!!?! The more boost wound into it, the more the mid-range fattened up and gave a nice power curve but as soon as it hit the magical 160fwkw it refused to make any more power and just stays dead flat. If anyone has any suggestions of possible causes I'm all ears :(

On the bright side, the power seems more linear and the wheelspin and torque-steer reduced. It's a bit nicer to drive. How this happened as a side effect of more boost? Again, I have no idea...

PULSER is still cursed. I think it's time to call in this guy:

http://catholicdiscussion.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/exorcist.jpg

autech
06-06-08, 07:41 PM
http://blog.paulbetts.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/dasfailboot.jpg

So, it had a tune last night. Z32 AFM, new intake pipe and 740cc injectors went on. It wasn't hard for Dr Drift to get it running well fairly soon after. That's when it hit a brick wall...don't worry, not literally.

On 13PSI the car makes 160fwkw
On 14PSI the car makes 160fwkw
On 15PSI the car makes 160fwkw
On 16PSI the car makes 160fwkw
On 17PSI the car makes 160fwkw

...I'm sure you get the picture. Seriously...WTF!!?! The more boost wound into it, the more the mid-range fattened up and gave a nice power curve but as soon as it hit the magical 160fwkw it refused to make any more power and just stays dead flat. If anyone has any suggestions of possible causes I'm all ears :(

On the bright side, the power seems more linear and the wheelspin and torque-steer reduced. It's a bit nicer to drive. How this happened as a side effect of more boost? Again, I have no idea...

PULSER is still cursed. I think it's time to call in this guy:

http://catholicdiscussion.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/exorcist.jpg

Your running out of fuel

Have you got an aftermarket fuel pump?

llama_au
06-06-08, 07:49 PM
S15 pump. And like I said on MSN, it's getting plenty of fuel.

Davf
06-06-08, 07:55 PM
Well if you have more air being able to go in, and no fuel or spark problems, what is your exhaust system like?

llama_au
06-06-08, 08:03 PM
It's very decent. Unless my brand new cat is the cause...

CES Split dump pipe and CES metal substrate cat (read: expensive), 3" mandrel bent stainless steel piping after the dump pipe, no resonator, straight through muffler. It's loud so it'd suggest it's not restrictive. I might be taking the exhaust off for a dyno run to see though.

Here's the dyno sheet, with a comparison to stock boost:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/graph_1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/graph_2.jpg

Davf
06-06-08, 08:10 PM
Does the ecu have a limit to how much timing advance it can run?

llama_au
06-06-08, 08:13 PM
That's a good question, I don't know the answer to that. But you've brought up another point - my ignition timing has been retarded 2 degree on the dizzy as it begins to knock at high RPM, so I can't run more timing there.

anth
06-06-08, 08:16 PM
all i see is dollar signs :(

llama_au
06-06-08, 08:18 PM
Not that many more. I'm quite over spending money on it. A couple of little things, then that's it.

Davf
06-06-08, 08:24 PM
Stock cams/ports not letting enough air in? I'm not familiar with nissan motors at all, i'm out of ideas. Hope you get it sorted, good luck!

llama_au
06-06-08, 08:27 PM
Stock cams, though they should be fine for the power figure I was aiming for. The motor is internally standard.

Thanks, I have a bit of time to think about it.

llama_au
06-07-08, 06:25 PM
I've had a bit to think about over the last month. I wanted to rule out compression and timing first and foremost.

So, the good news. Compression is really good. 158, 160, 158, 158. In comparison my brothers 10,000km rebuild made 132, 132, 138, 132. Needless to say he's not particularly happy. It'd suggest that my engine does have the genuine km's it was sold to me as having (under 50,000km, it'd now have around 70,000km on it at maximum.) I wouldn't have guessed it the first time I saw it with the rocker cover off covered in thick sludgy oil. So I'm extremely happy my compression is factory spec.

The Auto is also fixed, but I'm now a bit out of pocket. I don't want to discuss all the details online but in a nutshell someone had bent the throttle cable and mechanisms going into the Auto when the turbo was fitted. As a result the Auto saw the car as being at 50% throttle...at idle!!! It was holding out the gear changes for the fact that at half throttle it thought the car was at wide open throttle. So now, it's back to driving, revving and changing gears like a normal car. I'm annoyed, but quite relieved.

Now timing was a bit of an interesting point. The timing light would suggest that at idle the car is barely running a couple of degree's of timing, it was hovering pretty close to the first marker (sometimes almost on 0'.) I was quite sure when I'd seen the consult readout it was closer to 12'.

The cause of my whack timing at idle was something so bloody simple it's actually pretty embarrassing. To compensate for a crappy idle the idle adjustment screw had been adjusted in the past and consequently the ECU saw that the car was idling too high and kept trying to retard the timing to 0' to compensate and bring it down. The consult was reading anywhere between 0' and 3' timing!!! It's now happily sitting on 15' which is factory.

It's also revealed where the screaming/whistling noise the car was making on boost was coming from, that tiny screw!

So when I have the time and money - now that everything mechanically is perfect, I'll go back for a re-tune. The only thing left to check out is whether there's an exhaust restriction.

llama_au
21-07-08, 11:18 PM
Some photos from Sandown the weekend before last (I chose the ones with the most body roll as it looks more interesting than the straight ahead photos :lol:):

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Sandown%20Track%20Day%20July%202008/IMG_1072_1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Sandown%20Track%20Day%20July%202008/IMG_1039_1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Sandown%20Track%20Day%20July%202008/IMG_1042_1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Sandown%20Track%20Day%20July%202008/IMG_1449_1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Sandown%20Track%20Day%20July%202008/IMG_1453_1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Sandown%20Track%20Day%20July%202008/IMG_1454_1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Sandown%20Track%20Day%20July%202008/IMG_1558_1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Sandown%20Track%20Day%20July%202008/IMG_1559_1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Sandown%20Track%20Day%20July%202008/IMG_1561_1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Sandown%20Track%20Day%20July%202008/IMG_1639_1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Sandown%20Track%20Day%20July%202008/IMG_1455_1-1.jpg

The photographer seemed to get more photos in the 3 laps the instructor did in my car than when I was driving it (you'll see photos with two people in the car.) I probably did 40-50 laps before calling it a day and watching people.

Kelezzay
22-07-08, 09:44 AM
Wow! I really like that third picture!
Impressive amount of time and $$$ into this monster :D

llama_au
22-07-08, 09:48 AM
Thanks mate :)

Kelezzay
22-07-08, 10:02 AM
Opps I meant that fourth pic
sorta look'd like a IS200

No worries!

llama_au
15-08-08, 07:45 PM
Okay, so a few little updates.

Thanks to a member of PGA for some near-new front sway bar D-Link bushes which he kindly gave me after he upgraded his front swaybar:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Fixes/P8150001.jpg

I'd upgraded some of the front bushes but had neglected to do the D-links as the condition of the rubber stockies was still reasonable. They should make a nice improvement.

But in bigger and more exciting new I'm upgrading the gauges in my car. The Autogauge Defi-style DIN gauges I've had installed for the last ~2.5 years have never worked properly. I don't know if they were wrongly hooked up but I never bothered to check. The water temp. never read anything, the oil temp. never read over 80'C but the boost gauge worked fine. They were also terribly hard to read in the day time due to the smoked face. The DIN arrangement also looked pretty tacky. So currently on order from a number of different places (due to pricing/ability to get certain parts) I have:

*Defi DIN Gauge (Black/Red.)

http://www.defi-shop.com/product/din/images/ar.jpg

http://www.defi-shop.com/product/din/images/arn.jpg

http://www.defi-shop.com/product/din/images/naname-amber.jpg

*Defi Racer Gauge (Black/Red) - PSI version (I've had to bring this item in specially from the US as Defi won't sell PSI gauges to the Australian market.)

http://www.nippon-seiki.co.jp/defishop/product/rg/images/df06502.jpg

- it runs standalone. It doesn't require a Defi link controller like other gauges in the Defi range. I'll probably mount this in between my pillar and dash.

*Generic Oil Filter Sandwich Plate & Radiator Hose Water Adapter to suit the gauges.

I'll be hooking one temp gauge in the DIN cluster to water, one to oil and the pressure gauge to oil pressure. Really looking forward to it all arriving. It's cost me a small fortune but it'll be worth it. I really need to keep an eye on my temps. and pressures a little more closely as the car is put under a lot more stress at events these days.

I'll also be de-rice-ifying my interior by removing my EL Dials at some point and going back to a black cluster (I might change the lights to red to match the new gauges.) So my EL dials will be up for sale when they're out. Let me know if you're interested.

This was my old setup:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Engine%20Conversion/headunit_moved.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/Engine%20Conversion/P4160028.jpg

It'll look a fair bit neater.

TONTON
15-08-08, 10:04 PM
Howcome you didnt convert it to manual?

Buddah
15-08-08, 10:51 PM
I should have put a warning at the top of the thread - no manual comments. For the sake of anyone else reading this thread that hasn't met me, I like to do things the hard way. $6,000 (+ initial cost of $1100 for the original trans) Auto trans ftw!

Lol. The reasons up on PGA somewhere if you can be eff'd looking for it mate.

llama_au
15-08-08, 11:00 PM
lol. I find it strange people expect me to explain my choice over and over again.

It's auto because I want it to be auto. And I don't want to drive manual. Quite simple. It would have also cost me more for a manual conversion, a PAR gearset and a Nismo LSD (which is what it would have, if it were manual.)

TONTON
16-08-08, 02:57 AM
But manuals are more fun to drive :P

Omawari_San
16-08-08, 09:30 AM
Great car you have there!

Defi Racer Gauge (Black/Red) - PSI version (I've had to bring this item in specially from the US as Defi won't sell PSI gauges to the Australian market.)
Why do you want a PSI version. I thought in Australia you were reasonable and normal thinking people and use the metric system?

rodent
16-08-08, 09:48 AM
Funny huh, we still measure boost in pounds, but measure LOTS of boost in bars/atmo...
Good to see you've finally switched to some decent working gauges now! With that much money spent on the Pulsar that Auto Gauge crap just doesn't suit.

llama_au
16-08-08, 05:41 PM
But manuals are more fun to drive :P

Thats nice :P

Great car you have there!

Why do you want a PSI version. I thought in Australia you were reasonable and normal thinking people and use the metric system?

Cheers mate. The majority of us still know boost pressure in PSI. I relate to it better than BAR, so I went out of my way to get one :)

Funny huh, we still measure boost in pounds, but measure LOTS of boost in bars/atmo...
Good to see you've finally switched to some decent working gauges now! With that much money spent on the Pulsar that Auto Gauge crap just doesn't suit.

haha, yeah. Cheers. It was making the car feel really cheap :( I also decided it was probably a good time to start keeping a closer eye on oil pressure and oil & water temperatures since I'm doing more drags and track work in the car. Since I tend to magically lose coolant or oil at inconvenient times :lol: I know the motors in fantastic condition so I'd like to keep it that way. Not really prepared for a rebuild.

black200
16-08-08, 06:06 PM
so much potential is going to waste behind that auto!

llama_au
16-08-08, 06:08 PM
How? It puts 160fwkw to the ground, doesn't seem like wasted power to me.

And why all these auto comments all of a sudden? It's not like the car has just been converted to auto, it's been auto for the whole 10+ years of it's existence. I posted up about gauges, not the transmission. Must have been the interior pics that reminded everyone again.

TONTON
17-08-08, 12:28 AM
=P

nice car though =]

llama_au
18-10-08, 08:15 PM
Well, I haven't updated this thread for many months. Mainly because I've been frustrated. But maybe things are looking up. There's a number of things I can't discuss online but I am getting closer to putting in place steps to resolve them. In a nutshell I have had transmission problems on and off for 4 months, stemming back to damage caused to the transmission earlier this year. I am expecting the car back next week, and the transmission to be 100%. It can then go back to Sam (Dr Drift) for a check on the tune, which is where it was the last time the transmission decided to let go. Didn't even manage to get on the rollers :(

Also learnt something new, if the car's moved around and just left to idle too often it'll foul plugs and the car won't start :lol: Thanks Sam for the advice.

So, what have I got planned? Get the tune checked out, install the Defi gauges I purchased (pics in my intro thread), some Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres for the rear (to match the front) and then try to enjoy the car for how it is.

vex33d
19-10-08, 09:22 AM
Great to hear! SO with the new expectations/enthusiasm, will we see the for sale threads promptly removed??? :P

llama_au
19-10-08, 11:49 AM
I've posted in them to say it's withdrawn from sale :)

llama_au
21-11-08, 10:04 PM
Well, I haven't updated this thread for many months. Mainly because I've been frustrated. But maybe things are looking up. There's a number of things I can't discuss online but I am getting closer to putting in place steps to resolve them. In a nutshell I have had transmission problems on and off for 4 months, stemming back to damage caused to the transmission earlier this year. I am expecting the car back next week, and the transmission to be 100%. It can then go back to Sam (Dr Drift) for a check on the tune, which is where it was the last time the transmission decided to let go. Didn't even manage to get on the rollers :(

Also learnt something new, if the car's moved around and just left to idle too often it'll foul plugs and the car won't start :lol: Thanks Sam for the advice.

So, what have I got planned? Get the tune checked out, install the Defi gauges I purchased (pics in my intro thread), some Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres for the rear (to match the front) and then try to enjoy the car for how it is.

Wishful thinking...

11.5 weeks after it went in, it's back. The plans haven't changed, they'll just be put on hold as I'm going on holiday for all of January and funds will be very limited. You won't see any new mods in this thread probably until mid-next year, but by that time I'll hopefully be in a better position to get back into tracking & dragging it.

In the meantime, I'll just drive it. Hell...that's what it's there for. It's a luxury I haven't had. It needs to be driven normally this week. The pressure plates, clutch paks, drum and band are all brand new and really needs a little time to settle in.

llama_au
06-12-08, 05:01 PM
Pics from the SAU VIC Show & Shine last week:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_iiETVuV-KgU/STIgNZfWMcI/AAAAAAAABlo/XTkoo3zwjUU/s720/DSC_5316.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_iiETVuV-KgU/STIhoRbk-VI/AAAAAAAABno/XlryUkP3gtc/s720/DSC_5335.JPG

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/SAU%20Show%20and%20Shine%20Nov%202008/PB300027.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/SAU%20Show%20and%20Shine%20Nov%202008/PB300035.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/SAU%20Show%20and%20Shine%20Nov%202008/PB300036.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/SAU%20Show%20and%20Shine%20Nov%202008/PB300030.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/llama_au/SAU%20Show%20and%20Shine%20Nov%202008/PB300034.jpg

Buddah
07-12-08, 12:11 AM
Its absolutely begging you to lower it more and get that offset crunk.

Any reason you took the pulser to the SAU meet instead of the skyline?