PDA

View Full Version : All about the $

Snoop G
07-09-11, 07:33 AM
Okay this came from playing Dirt3 on PC fairly recently but then again thinking about it alot more.

Motorsport and even the culture its all about the money.
But its more so in these times and future also.

Its about sponsorship, signing deals, contracts.
I use to remember a workshop that was somewhat as up and coming dealt with a lot of high ended imports decided to close their doors cause the directors or those that invested in the business could not seeing it yielding enough profit to stay tryed and true.So the workshop shut down.

Even some Motorsports teams pull out of the season, league, series and championship all together.
Cause they feel its waste of company money just racing to be part of it. But more so they want to win and only win. And if that's not happening then the Manufacturer/team pull out all together.
Have u watched the Ayton Senna movie? It even briefly touches the subject at the start i think. Back then it was real race pure driving.

And finally the import scene. There maybe a great melting pot on JDMST of rare cars which has owners still faithfully standing by their ol skool jdm import.
But with more and more reasons to sell up to get a HOMELOAN, to sell up to get newer car,MORE FUEL ECONOMIC, TO SELL UP FOR SOMETHING MORE PRACTICAL.

Does it always have to be about '$' and if your answer is sorry mate but thats how it is these days.
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww304/MadLorGLK/IMAG0833.jpg
Wel it sux.

Prancer
07-09-11, 07:59 AM
No it doesnt have to be about the money, but some people are impatient and have other priorities before cars, not everyone has the opportunity to be a pro race car driver

JDM-20L
07-09-11, 09:21 AM
Money is evil shit man...

HuH
07-09-11, 09:24 AM
What you're describing is called growing up. There will always be kids who buy cheap, impractical and uneconomic cars. Not many seventeen year-olds want to get a home loan.

In the society we populate, the pursuit of 'more' will always reign supreme. Money makes the world rotate. Also, motorsport is very expensive. Ayrton Senna is talking about go-kart racing in the bit you quoted, which is about as far removed from Formula 1 as you can possibly get when it comes to financial commitment. There is a romantic notion that people in motorsport are just doing it for the glory, and that's probably true if you're looking at grassroots competition, but when it comes to Formula 1 the first priority is making money. Just like Wu Tang said - Cash Rules Everything Around Me.

g
07-09-11, 09:30 AM
At the end of the day, it is about the money. But that doesnt mean i cant keep my "ol skool jdm import " and live in it...

Oxer
07-09-11, 09:48 AM
The greatest part about the automotive scene/culture is that its not always about the motorsport aspect of it.

For me and those who know my, Community/family is number 1, Having fun doing what you do is number 2.

That saying from one of the most infamous movies ever; "The things you own end up owning you" should not be let become a reality when you are passionate about something. I understand that the realestate market is a completely different ball game, but that isnt what we are talking about.

Anyone who builds a car purely for the glory is doing it for the wrong reasons. This is why I build a car:

http://vimeo.com/27223837

bluesprinter
07-09-11, 10:26 AM
When talking about motorspot, more money more podium spot for the driver because they can hire better engineers and pit crew, management etc etc. There are times in history though where underdogs have come out on top, but overall it's about money,

Taking it to the street, normal people here, everyone here on the forum i believe are into cars whether it to be for a personal best lap time, street credit for having the most expensive car and be called "boss", fastest from lights to lights or just purely of pride and joy your car gives you. I don't think anyone here is into the cars because its going to profit them financially in anyways unless your a business, and a business I still believe you would be a car enthusiast.

Car culture has got nothing to do with money, stock clean cars these days gets praised over 1000 hp drag cars..all depends on what you like, you will need money, but the amount spent is never considered at the end.

Money is just a tool, and always will be. Some people have more then others.

Wink
07-09-11, 11:29 AM
Car culture has got nothing to do with money,

lol yes it does.

The JDMST meet at JDMYard, see all the poor scum that had to park outside, fighting for parking like a pack of hyenas over a carcass.

Meanwhile, Lambo and Ferrari rock up, straight into the JDMYard driveway, with everyone staring, huge crowd around them.
Lambo even gets personal photoshoot from the visiting US guy.

Sure you get cars which are cheaply modded that get cred from the community (see Ryan's KE70), but check out JDMST's Featured Ride list - most of those cars have had thousands of dollars (if not tens of thousands of dollars) spent on them:
http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/forumdisplay.php?70-JDMST-Featured-Rides

Money rules everything about the car scene in Australia.

JDM-20L
07-09-11, 11:36 AM
It is all about the $$$

But at the moment for me its a case of "how much money can't you spend" :lol: It's been a fun challenge!

dave2221
07-09-11, 11:38 AM
You cant build a car without spending money.

The faster they go, the more changes you make to the factory finished product is expensive.

You have two options.... Modified or Standard.

You have to make your bed and sleep in it..... i sold my AE86 now drive a MX5 SE, because i didnt want the hassle..... its fast, fun, looks good.... and it doesnt cost a dime apart from maintenance......

Wait until you buy a house, it will give you more perspective on what is important.....

I would much rather buy a Jacuzzi for my backyard, than spend $5,000 on JDM rims and tyres......

JDM-20L
07-09-11, 11:44 AM
You'd be surprised what you can do when you have time on your side.. (I don't exactly but I make the time) :)

5TI
07-09-11, 11:47 AM
MONEY RULES THE WORLD (full stop)

MR2
07-09-11, 12:10 PM
You cant build a car without spending money.

The faster they go, the more changes you make to the factory finished product is expensive.

You have two options.... Modified or Standard.

You have to make your bed and sleep in it..... i sold my AE86 now drive a MX5 SE, because i didnt want the hassle..... its fast, fun, looks good.... and it doesnt cost a dime apart from maintenance......

Wait until you buy a house, it will give you more perspective on what is important.....

I would much rather buy a Jacuzzi for my backyard, than spend $5,000 on JDM rims and tyres......

Pretty much.

Change one thing and a half dozen others need to be adjusted to match. Stock is best.

Biggie
07-09-11, 12:39 PM
Pretty much.

Change one thing and a half dozen others need to be adjusted to match. Stock is best.

but sooooo boring....

i just love to change things :)

dosent have to be expensive to be cool.

a few choice mods, some attitue, some vision and some hard work can make a amazing machine.

tidy mx7# cressy on some nice meshys second hand from J land makes for one nice cruiser.

or a silvia thats been matt blacked slammned chopped and stirpped then tracked 1005 balls out might cost 5 grand to buy and build but damm its a cool thing.

Re motorsport. unfortunatly business is business, no return to shareholders makes it hard to be in the business of racing... particularly these days, where you have assess every penny.

and once again at the pinnicle... he who spends big often wins as it allows you to not push one element but all the elements whitch added up can equate to a big edge

you either down with that or you go buy a MX5 and cut some laps :P

dave2221
07-09-11, 12:52 PM
but sooooo boring....

i just love to change things :)

dosent have to be expensive to be cool.

a few choice mods, some attitue, some vision and some hard work can make a amazing machine.

tidy mx7# cressy on some nice meshys second hand from J land makes for one nice cruiser.

or a silvia thats been matt blacked slammned chopped and stirpped then tracked 1005 balls out might cost 5 grand to buy and build but damm its a cool thing.

Re motorsport. unfortunatly business is business, no return to shareholders makes it hard to be in the business of racing... particularly these days, where you have assess every penny.

and once again at the pinnicle... he who spends big often wins as it allows you to not push one element but all the elements whitch added up can equate to a big edge

you either down with that or you go buy a MX5 and cut some laps :P

I wasnt saying i dont spend money to stay busy.

I would just rather "modify" my house.

Next project is wireless stereo, like a sonos system, to go to the pool area....

Or $2g's on a new tv so i have a phat home theatre....

I still spend money, but on things i can enjoy with more people.. (the ultimate party house) instaed of the ultimate MX5, which is somehting i wouldnt be able to enjoy with most my freinds and family.

HuH
07-09-11, 01:31 PM
I still spend money, but on things i can enjoy with more people.. (the ultimate party house) instaed of the ultimate MX5, which is somehting i wouldnt be able to enjoy with most my freinds and family.

Horses for courses. From my perspective it's modifying my car that has brought me the friends I consider to be family.

Oxer
07-09-11, 04:12 PM
Horses for courses. From my perspective it's modifying my car that has brought me the friends I consider to be family.

100%

Jace.
07-09-11, 04:53 PM
Still no CREAM references?

I like fixing things/making things better. I like cars because they generally have lots of things to fix/improve. I like money because it allows such fixes/improvements.

That's my car enthusiasm in a nutshell.

HuH
07-09-11, 05:00 PM
Still no CREAM references?

Look closer! ;)

Just like Wu Tang said - Cash Rules Everything Around Me.

Total Monkey Kaos
07-09-11, 05:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZiBEV3UIrU

Snoop G
07-09-11, 07:17 PM
^ pahahahah LOL

brasher
08-09-11, 07:09 AM
it's all about the benjamins, dollar dollar bill ya'll. Look at F1, the pinnacle of Automotive engineering and technology and the paying drivers. In a sport where this is meant to be the cream of the crop, in both cars and drivers and you have ring in's with rich daddy's having a steer shows that $$$ drives everything.

I do a bit of Club level Motocross, and even in my class, C grade open (ie slow as fuck) there are guys turning up to races with Full Winnebago's, tool kits worth 10k+ and bikes that are worth more than 20 civics combined! It's all about the cashish these days.

But on the flipsides, them clever kents over at performanceforums started up the popular 13's for $1300, where you take a shitbox and with the remaining coin make it run a 13 sec 1/4 without going over $1300, now that affordable and accesable for the masses, learn a lot in the progress and have some fun. This is what it should all be about.

bluesprinter
08-09-11, 09:35 AM
car culture is free, no entry fee no member fee, can follow F1 racing on TV for free, can hit most of your track day to spectate for free

car modification cost money, part of the culture, but is not the culture

thats what i mean and how i judge it, you do need money, but you do not need money to be part of the culture....i believe i first of started with just getting my GOOGLE on, looking at pictures of cars and reading info about them...i actually didn't even need to own a car to already be well informed of prestige cars and motorsport and already i felt part of the culture..

how many L platers join this forum asking what car is best for this X amount of money? im pretty sure the culture already started within them before they even had money for the car if you ask me

hawkeye
08-09-11, 01:25 PM
All professional sports are about money, hence why they are called professional.

The culture isn't about money at all, yes it is a pay to play case most of the time but it is not the be all and end all. I spend a bit of money on my supra and I am sure that in the future I will spend more but for me it is not about the next purchase or how much money I have spent. It is about the drive and the friends that I have made from driving, had a shit day? go for a drive, had a good day ? go for a drive and its even better. Stuff the money its about how it makes you feel, its the freedom and the control for me.

VTECMACHINE
08-09-11, 02:12 PM
Money buys happiness in the form of bitches, cars, clothes...

SamB87
08-09-11, 04:33 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdEBycM5q7BYrxCtojnaAFftFPYsWb9 D7hndoCsnclkicDUkw-Om6smPUo

Isn't that what it's all about?

Or so I've been told...

Bodgy Racing Developments
09-09-11, 11:35 AM
i guess each to their own on this topic as everyone's priorities change over life.

however, for me personally. id rather put my cars in storage and let projects sit untouched for years before selling and calling it quits on the modding game.

seventhskyline
09-09-11, 05:21 PM

Except a Jacuzzi is worthless once it leaves the showroom, costly to maintain and won't actually value add to your house.
A set of $5k wheels and tyres will most likely be able to be flipped to recoup cost quite easily, add value to the car etc.

I'd go with the wheels in that example.

Paulstar
14-09-11, 11:49 PM
You wanna play you got to pay, but if your reallllly about the culture. You wont pay as much as someone that's just stepped in and posing (in my personal experience)

And if you do step in, and you do have money, and you're not about the culture. The end result - your car - will tell that story loud and clear.

Modified cars, imho are not freedom. They are fun, they make you happy whatever but they are not freedom. That message is driven home loud and clear when the cops hand out defects, EPA sends you notices to appear and get tested or you buckle your imported rims on a pothole that you didnt see. Or when you find yourself on public transport / getting lifts of people 'cos you didn't want to park somwhere 'dodgy' or 'unsafe'

spamdos
18-09-11, 10:31 PM
Well i had this problem (if you can call it that) when i was considering purchasing a car. I really wanted an mitsu evo 8, had the money for it but decided i would pour all my money into maintaining it. While i knew it would be awesome to own, i also realised that i am only 21, that i am a uni student, and at the poorest i will ever be. I decided to go with a new Rcolt which was slightly cheaper than a 7 year old evo and had a 10 year warranty and cheap servicing.

I love my car, it is fast enough and fun enough for now. In the future i want my evo, but now that i don't know any better, i think my car is awesome! Work hard now, save your money, be smart and when you have a good job buy the stuff you want.

harris
19-09-11, 01:40 AM
Spending lots of money on your car may get you attention but attention isn't what the car scene is about. It's about enjoying your car so, no it isn't about money at all.

Only a car enthusiast could see a car like a ke70 as something special.

19-09-11, 10:06 AM
You wanna play you got to pay, but if your reallllly about the culture. You wont pay as much as someone that's just stepped in and posing (in my personal experience)

Although I can see where you're coming from, I gotta disagree with your comment here. I think howmuch a person spends on a car is irrelivant as long as they are doing it for the right reasons.

e.g. some guy paying 5k for a set of rims because 'everyones gonna look at it and think im baller' - you can question why they are spending the cash on it.

compared to say someone paying 10k for a retrim because its the design they have always wanted - regardless of how good or bad it looks, they are doing it to satisfy themselves.

Course_Out
19-09-11, 10:45 AM
I think whether or not it is "all about the money" is a matter fo what you want to achieve. If you want to race and be the fastest, get the most internet fame or have your car as the pinnacle for your scene/model/whatever then that sort of thing costs money. If you want to be part of a "culture" it doesn't necessarily mean you need to throw enormous amounts of money at it.

Case in point: I have started competing in local hillclimbs. I have a busted looking s13 and can't drive out of sight on a dark night. But I feel that I am part of the motorsport culture because I turned up, had a go and had a decent attitude. After 2 events I have at leats half a dozen new friends. Between them they had a $200 Mazda Astina, a more or less standard EF Civic and a rather serious VW Beetle. They weren't there to judge one another on how much money they had spent, or who had the most "baller" wheels - they just wanted to hang out, drive fast and push themselves and their machines.

Yeah playing with cars costs money, but I think that it is within the financial most people to put together a car and have some fun at the track, or hang out at a meet. Really, if people are going to give you crap about not spending $5k on a set of rims, are they really the sort of people you want to associate with? not everything in life needs to be a pissing competitiion...

[[d a n n y]]
19-09-11, 11:39 AM
i think this is a stupid thread
why do you guys even care if some 1 pumped XXXXX amount into their cars?
if they can afford it let it be
hating on other cuz they spend 5K 10K on mods
i just makes you look jealous of that person

Nur33
19-09-11, 04:12 PM
I'm no stranger to spending ridiculous amounts of $$$ on cars. It all started when i was 13 which is when i bought my First HPI Magazine and i was a Gran Turismo Junkie at the same time, GTR's to me at the time where the ducks nuts, best of the best and from that point onward's that's all i wanted. All through high school i would research about skylines and what i wanted to buy, make up wish lists etc. When i finished school and started my apprenticeship my dad bought me a piece of shit EA Falcon, i had it for about six months and then told dad this car is f*#ked i'm buying a new car. I was looking at R32 GTR's but my dad would let me buy a 400hp car, so i convinced him to let me import a Mint condition R34 GT-T which was lightly tuned at 300rwhp (how i did not kill myself in that i do not know was 18yrs old at that time). Had that for a year and bought a R33 GTR which had about 450hp, once i bought the GTR dad fell in love with it and then decided to buy his own, so he imported a R32 GTR N1. Once we started to tinker with the RB26 all hell broke loose. I spent approx $100,000 in parts on my R33 and the R32 which my brother now owns but all 3 of us have put $$$ into it has had over $200,000 spent on it. Combine the 2 of them figures and we could have bought a nice ferrari or lambo or half a house. Some people tell us we are stupid for spending that much some are just arseholes due to jealousy but we are hardcore GTR enthusiast and we do the majority of the work ourselves we had a goal in mind when building the R32 and that was to have the fastest Manual H pattern street tyred GTR in the world, I don't care what anyone thinks of me and tells me it's and impossible task or thinks that i'm full of shit. I am now 23 turning 24 and have been researching GTR's for over 10yrs now, and the only way to get world records is $$$, i get people coming up to me all the time wanting to do the same to their GTR, then you tell them the costs they soon walk away.

We enjoy our car every time we drive or start in up puts a smile of my face, it's brings our family together when we work on it and race it. I have mates that spend bugger all on there cars but i still appreciated there efforts and help them out as much as i can, i think the import scene would have to one of the best ways to meet and socialize with people you get the occasional wanker but all in all its a great experience. Motorsport on the other hand if you don't have $$$ then your pretty much a nobody, and there are always wankers, cockheads and F*#kwits on every corner but hey that's racing.

Thats my 2 cents worth lol there are plenty of low budget build threads on this forum which i am really impressed with keep up the good work guys!!!

Paulstar
19-09-11, 08:38 PM
Although I can see where you're coming from, I gotta disagree with your comment here. I think howmuch a person spends on a car is irrelivant as long as they are doing it for the right reasons.

e.g. some guy paying 5k for a set of rims because 'everyones gonna look at it and think im baller' - you can question why they are spending the cash on it.

compared to say someone paying 10k for a retrim because its the design they have always wanted - regardless of how good or bad it looks, they are doing it to satisfy themselves.

Hi, not what i meant :) what I meant is, you have some guys that'll take their car to a shop to get a cd player installed - nothing wrong with that. But most people who are fully into the scene will either a) know how to do it themselves or b) their mates will come over and help them out. At that point it becomes less about the dollars and more about a can do / will learn / has support of other modifiers.

Course_Out
20-09-11, 09:59 AM
I'm no stranger to spending ridiculous amounts of $$$ on cars. It all started when i was 13 which is when i bought my First HPI Magazine and i was a Gran Turismo Junkie at the same time, GTR's to me at the time where the ducks nuts, best of the best and from that point onward's that's all i wanted. All through high school i would research about skylines and what i wanted to buy, make up wish lists etc. When i finished school and started my apprenticeship my dad bought me a piece of shit EA Falcon, i had it for about six months and then told dad this car is f*#ked i'm buying a new car. I was looking at R32 GTR's but my dad would let me buy a 400hp car, so i convinced him to let me import a Mint condition R34 GT-T which was lightly tuned at 300rwhp (how i did not kill myself in that i do not know was 18yrs old at that time). Had that for a year and bought a R33 GTR which had about 450hp, once i bought the GTR dad fell in love with it and then decided to buy his own, so he imported a R32 GTR N1. Once we started to tinker with the RB26 all hell broke loose. I spent approx $100,000 in parts on my R33 and the R32 which my brother now owns but all 3 of us have put $$$ into it has had over $200,000 spent on it. Combine the 2 of them figures and we could have bought a nice ferrari or lambo or half a house. Some people tell us we are stupid for spending that much some are just arseholes due to jealousy but we are hardcore GTR enthusiast and we do the majority of the work ourselves we had a goal in mind when building the R32 and that was to have the fastest Manual H pattern street tyred GTR in the world, I don't care what anyone thinks of me and tells me it's and impossible task or thinks that i'm full of shit. I am now 23 turning 24 and have been researching GTR's for over 10yrs now, and the only way to get world records is $$$, i get people coming up to me all the time wanting to do the same to their GTR, then you tell them the costs they soon walk away.

We enjoy our car every time we drive or start in up puts a smile of my face, it's brings our family together when we work on it and race it. I have mates that spend bugger all on there cars but i still appreciated there efforts and help them out as much as i can, i think the import scene would have to one of the best ways to meet and socialize with people you get the occasional wanker but all in all its a great experience. Motorsport on the other hand if you don't have $$$ then your pretty much a nobody, and there are always wankers, cockheads and F*#kwits on every corner but hey that's racing.

Thats my 2 cents worth lol there are plenty of low budget build threads on this forum which i am really impressed with keep up the good work guys!!!

This fellow has said it much more eloquently than I did - car love and culture isn't about money, but it sure helps!

Snoop G
21-09-11, 07:18 AM

Great post. Thanx for sharing!.

Justin Fox
21-09-11, 10:29 AM
All about the money in motorsport? In the import scene? All about money affecting motorsport "these days" as opposed to money affecting motorsport in the past?

I think the initial post is flawed, and confused so it's hard to reply.

Justin Fox
21-09-11, 10:35 AM
The JDMST meet at JDMYard, see all the poor scum that had to park outside, fighting for parking like a pack of hyenas over a carcass. Meanwhile, Lambo and Ferrari rock up, straight into the JDMYard driveway, with everyone staring, huge crowd around them. Lambo even gets personal photoshoot from the visiting US guy.

Whilst it's true, is it wrong? Either way that's a really sad way of looking at it.

Sure you get cars which are cheaply modded that get cred from the community (see Ryan's KE70), but check out JDMST's Featured Ride list - most of those cars have had thousands of dollars (if not tens of thousands of dollars) spent on them: http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/forumdisplay.php?70-JDMST-Featured-Rides

None of these cars, including modifications, are anywhere near the price of a stock Murciellago, or any other exotic. Would we feature a stock Murciellago just because it's expensive? No.

Money rules everything about the car scene in Australia.

?!?!

pbk1776
21-09-11, 10:51 AM
Except a Jacuzzi is worthless once it leaves the showroom, costly to maintain and won't actually value add to your house.
A set of $5k wheels and tyres will most likely be able to be flipped to recoup cost quite easily, add value to the car etc.

I'd go with the wheels in that example.

I don't know if you on drugs when you posted this -

];1036455']i think this is a stupid thread
why do you guys even care if some 1 pumped XXXXX amount into their cars?
if they can afford it let it be
hating on other cuz they spend 5K 10K on mods
i just makes you look jealous of that person

I totally agree - everything revolves on money today, what's the difference? probably you are in the wrong scene, if you complain!

21-09-11, 01:41 PM
Hi, not what i meant :) what I meant is, you have some guys that'll take their car to a shop to get a cd player installed - nothing wrong with that. But most people who are fully into the scene will either a) know how to do it themselves or b) their mates will come over and help them out. At that point it becomes less about the dollars and more about a can do / will learn / has support of other modifiers.

ahh my bad :)

the other side of argument is time. I know for me personally (along with alot of people in the scene) its getting harder and harder to find the time to work on cars. Personally im doing an average of about 50 hours a week not including out of hours meetings what probably adds another 2-10 hours a week. Then factor in time to go to and fro work, family commitments and other works, a simple task can end up taking epic amounts of time.

critical_movement
22-09-11, 09:45 AM
ahhh,Western civilization...........No matter which way you look at it,or how you paint it.....Thats what it's about! $$$$

without money your fucked.....unless your a thieff,but that can only go so well for so long before you get busted and go to jail.......then even in there you need fucking money!

Like it or not,We are all slaves to the pay cheque......Freedom just doesn't exist without cash within the current system!

True?

brasher
22-09-11, 10:50 AM
Whilst it's true, is it wrong? Either way that's a really sad way of looking at it.

One thing I've noticed over the years of attending EOMM's is that they are not really JDMST exclusive anymore, it's more of a "sydney car scene" meet with ring ins from all over, which is cool but they have definately lost their character a bit like the old days at KK's and the first Moore Park meets. Where everyone actually mingled and I would recognize a vast majority of the cars from the members rides section. I've made some long lasting friendships from those early days.

It's these core group of guys that come month after month, no matter what and have a shit talk with are the ones who keep the site and the EOMM's running, your Kelvins, Felix's, Coffeebosses etc. Might not see them for a while at a time but no matter what can always have a chat and catch up.

I'll admit, I havn't been to a lot of EOMM's latey, but the last one I did, it was akward as fuck man, I mean I still chatted to the usual bro's, but there were like small groups of 6-10 in circles, and it seemed almost unwelcoming to say hi.

Have JDMST meets almost become too big? I dunno, for the success of the forum it's all good.

Justin Fox
22-09-11, 12:07 PM
Some are small, some are big, it's different all the time in my experience. Last one at Fox was TINY! Smaller than our first KK's meet which was massive BTW.

fillit
22-09-11, 12:41 PM

Yeah, i've been in that scenario, i've installed several headunits before as have my mates. However with my car my wiring was $^@&#^@ i've tried it about twice as have my friends, each time the headunit would work flawlessly but the battery kept dying. Bit the bullet and had a professional install it, been swell ever since. S^%t happens sometimes :(

best guy
22-09-11, 12:44 PM
the street scene is all about money because essentially these cars are fashion items - flashy cars and flashy parts, but i've found the drift scene to be more about the driver and how hard they go both on the tools and behind the wheel - no one likes the guy with the big dollar build who doesn't drive it for shit or paid a workshop to bolt his parts on, but everyone talks about the guy in the near stocker who is killing it.. this is at a grass roots level of course, professional anything is about money - gotta get paid if it's your source of income

I guess what I'm saying is that it's nice for money to come a close second for once.. been a part of a lot of scenes and never seen that before, think this is where i'll stay..

Course_Out
22-09-11, 01:28 PM
Best Guy, i think that was pretty much what I was trying to say in my post - at the track I find the same thing. Went to a local hillclimb, with some pretty crazy big dollar open wheelers, etc etc, and the one car everyone wanted to talk about was the bog stock Excel that odl mate was flinging around. at a grassroots level I certainly feel that fun/skill>money. I also find that the guys and girls at the track are more "practical". Very often they build their own cars, or scrimped and saved for years to get what they have. It's a different attitude for sure.

An no one ever wants to be branded with the tag "all the gear, no idea" at the track so people tend not to spend heaps on flashy parts.

I've found a similar difference in bmx as well. All the times I have been to the skatepark lately there are guys talking about parts and who has what, or what the lightest axle nuts are, whereas at the track its more of a case of "man, isn't such and such ripping today?"

I think I've gotten off track a bit, sorry...

dimi_108
22-09-11, 01:40 PM
I'll admit, I havn't been to a lot of EOMM's latey, but the last one I did, it was akward as fuck man, I mean I still chatted to the usual bro's, but there were like small groups of 6-10 in circles, and it seemed almost unwelcoming to say hi.
Co-sign.

Jays14
22-09-11, 08:17 PM
the street scene is all about money because essentially these cars are fashion items - flashy cars and flashy parts, but i've found the drift scene to be more about the driver and how hard they go both on the tools and behind the wheel - no one likes the guy with the big dollar build who doesn't drive it for shit or paid a workshop to bolt his parts on, but everyone talks about the guy in the near stocker who is killing it.. this is at a grass roots level of course, professional anything is about money - gotta get paid if it's your source of income

I guess what I'm saying is that it's nice for money to come a close second for once.. been a part of a lot of scenes and never seen that before, think this is where i'll stay..

Drifting is also about looking cool..... :)

Kazzae
22-09-11, 08:38 PM
Always been told that Modifying a Car is pointless as you never get that money back.

But just do it for your self. It's your car and your money. Sure with more money you can get more parts and quicker but in the end money doesn't make the car look better.

And i would rather build up a car than just buy a "Exotic"

Eg. Get a GT-R, Make it faster than any Ferrari for half the price.

Kazzae
22-09-11, 08:38 PM
Fox Studio meets FTW....

Just saying :)

wernz
22-09-11, 08:48 PM

Couldnt have said it better myself.
Been in a few different car scenes & I know where im staying too.

SSR
22-09-11, 09:07 PM
To paraphrase one analogy, money is the gasoline of the road trip of life. You donít want to run out, but having extra wonít make the trip any better.

Paul.S
23-09-11, 08:12 AM

Troof.

I'd much rather attend a meet full of flashing neons and bodykits at a miragelancer meet, because atleast I will be spoken to.

WOTCNT.

harris
23-09-11, 09:41 AM
Flashy cars that cost lots of money my ass....
EG civic with b16s, r32s, s13s, ke70s all these cars are admired by enthusiasts where most people woudn't understand and they are cheap as.

If you think a car is a just about fashion then you are in the wrong scene imo.

It's not about how much money you spend on your car but how much pashion you have for you car.