PDA

View Full Version : Do you let people’s opinions on forums effect how you modify your Car?

justinspiderholden
12-10-11, 02:44 PM
Discuss

spamdos
12-10-11, 02:52 PM
Of course, because often they have done it before and by reading everyone's opinions and doing a little research you gain a pool of knowledge. My mods would be completely different without advice from likeminded car people.

jdmrx7
12-10-11, 03:08 PM
yes but to a certain extent.
You must have had an idea of how you want to mod your car making it some what different than others. If you constantly take all opinions then it somewhat doesnt make it your own, you have to draw the line somewhere.
If you dont like the look of it in the end then it'll just be a waist of your time and money.

JDM-20L
12-10-11, 03:21 PM
There's opinions and there's knowledge...

Not really bothered.... its the fucking internet so take it for what its worth.

Kikkoman
12-10-11, 03:22 PM
I'd usually do a bit of research before purchasing a specific type of functional aftermarket part.

But I do that with almost anything I buy. Gather information, read reviews and see what everyone else thinks of it.

So yes.

Aleks.B
12-10-11, 03:26 PM
Even though I dont own something jap yet, I wouldnt as I want to modify my car how I WANT TO.

whiteballz
12-10-11, 03:34 PM
Mechanically - Yes
Aesthetically - No

G54B
12-10-11, 03:47 PM
I just do what looks/sounds/feels good to me.
But if someone's advice makes sense, 90% of the time I'll take it under advisement.

DreadAngel
12-10-11, 03:50 PM
Opinions don't, proper research and experience do though... To an extent...

Biggie
12-10-11, 04:06 PM
yes and no -

advice makes me do somthing some ways - if somone has been there and doen that and it works im down.

other things i dont think directly so much.... but there definatly a influence there even on a base level about what styles / trends / what looks cool i.e no more chromies enter low and fitment

even though i build my car the way i like it... im thinking what i like is influenced by the people i hang with, things i see forming what i like -

so yes at the end of the day ive never gone out of my way to do somthing becuse other people think its cool - but there is a massive movment in our scene that feeds itself whitch most likly influences what and how we build our cars

take rare parts for example - they might not nesscairly work as well but the desirabily and rarity makes people want them......

End of the day i think you have to build a car your happy with, and one that expresses a little about you or there is no point

clutch-monkey
12-10-11, 05:04 PM
no. why would i? i already know i'm right.

rixii
12-10-11, 05:11 PM
Only if it's Aqua Tint

Slydin
12-10-11, 05:13 PM
Mechanically - Yes
Aesthetically - No

same

SamB87
12-10-11, 05:44 PM
Only if it's Aqua Tint

Beat me to it.

But on a serious note, people's opinions on forums? No. People's real life experience/knowledge with certain things? Yes.

Renegade
12-10-11, 06:18 PM
Not really, keyboard warriors are increasing in today's population.

philz
12-10-11, 06:26 PM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/315913_284874524873805_202679046426687_1077717_184 3532264_n.jpg

autechlol
12-10-11, 08:05 PM
^ true.

uknowsergio
12-10-11, 08:27 PM
Another reason why Will Smith is the Boss.

Forums are a huge source of ideas, designs, styles and spam. It's all about taking in what you want too, and scrolling past what you don't.

But, I'd never not do a modification because someone said its not cool etc. I do what I like, and i live with those choices.

Rolla_Kid
12-10-11, 08:37 PM
Ill listen, but i actually like to think after people tell me things and assess it for myself and go solely on my opinion and knowledge.. at the end of the day im building MY car with MY money.. they can do their own thing. Ill do mine ;)

brasher
12-10-11, 09:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPFlxN5InK0

rusty1
12-10-11, 09:35 PM
Depends on which forum and the respect I have for the people who are handing out the advice

Glocker
13-10-11, 01:12 AM
Opinions? get fucked. pearls of wisdom earned through experience, what works and what blows up in your face? yes more of it please.

bluesprinter
13-10-11, 07:46 AM
Answer is no. but go ahead and give your 2cents, if everyone gives in 2cents, i might just have enough to get genuine JDM parts for my car..

Only if =[

Snoop G
13-10-11, 08:06 AM
Mechanically - Yes
Aesthetically - No

same

x3 :cool:

Paoooul
13-10-11, 08:42 AM
Wait what this forum is about modifying cars?

D.K.C
13-10-11, 09:02 AM
How many people are too scared of peoples opinions to admit that other peoples opinions matter?

Sure I mod my car the way I like and I wouldn't put something on it that I dont like just because people say it's cool...
But on the other hand, it does feel good to be told that your car IS cool, and no-one wants to have their car labeled a bucket of shit.. It doesn't play a big part at all, but it's still in the back of my mind.

For example, I have Oz wheels for the track, but I bought xxr's for the street because I think they look cool, they fit perfectly and were a great price... but in the back of my mind a part of me is saying: "will people judge me for rocking taiwan spec?"

Honest answer/discussion...
Flamesuit on.

Oxer
13-10-11, 09:13 AM
Nope.

Real life opinions from people who have knowledge > interwebz

Prancer
13-10-11, 09:16 AM
Heaps of people have told me the Vitara is a shit box, and pretty much it is. I bought it for 300

I could go spend heaps of money making it the highest, fattest, fastest 4wd but after growing some balls I took it in stock form hardcore 4wding and had a blast.

it has been the best 2k ive ever spent on a car. Yes it did just make it home but the feelings were great when we did

My boss and mates were giving me shit for taking something standard and also not running right off road, but i did it for myself.

I prefer to improve a machine after using it myself rather than listening to what someone else has done with a car and mimic them

Im one of those functional over form guys though

D.K.C
13-10-11, 09:30 AM
Heaps of people have told me the Vitara is a shit box, and pretty much it is. I bought it for 300

I could go spend heaps of money making it the highest, fattest, fastest 4wd but after growing some balls I took it in stock form hardcore 4wding and had a blast.

it has been the best 2k ive ever spent on a car. Yes it did just make it home but the feelings were great when we did

My boss and mates were giving me shit for taking something standard and also not running right off road, but i did it for myself.

I prefer to improve a machine after using it myself rather than listening to what someone else has done with a car and mimic them

Im one of those functional over form guys though

Yeah, I get this, but then why have a build thread?

the purpose of build threads is either to kinda say: "hey guys look what i've done, i'm happy with/proud of my car and i thought that at least some like-minded people would get something out of it"... or: "have I done everything right, is there anything I can improve?".... so unless trolling like audi commodore guy (see best jdmst threads) you are still somewhat looking for affirmation from the community that what you are doing is cool/safe/most economical use of your resources.

... unless there's something i've overlooked

KEV248
13-10-11, 09:47 AM
Forums are a huge source of ideas, designs, styles and spam. It's all about taking in what you want too, and scrolling past what you don't.

That right there....is correct!!

Yes i listen to suggestions, ideas from other people, but i modify my car to how i like it. You look at current trends, what other people are doing, you get ideas, u see what works and then u do it how u want it. Thats my theory anyways.

If i listened to people when i was doing my Audi, it wouldnt have turned out the way it did.

The WRX i own now, different story, ive moved away from the candy paintjobs, flashy interiors and big stereos, im more into the stance/fitment/JDM/USDM look now. Hence the direction i will go with my STi will be down that path!

VTECMACHINE
13-10-11, 09:52 AM
Yep, apparently I need more low and less offset.

Prancer
13-10-11, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I get this, but then why have a build thread?

the purpose of build threads is either to kinda say: "hey guys look what i've done, i'm happy with/proud of my car and i thought that at least some like-minded people would get something out of it"... or: "have I done everything right, is there anything I can improve?".... so unless trolling like audi commodore guy (see best jdmst threads) you are still somewhat looking for affirmation from the community that what you are doing is cool/safe/most economical use of your resources.

... unless there's something i've overlooked

My build thread is there to show that you can have fun with out spending crazy amounts of money, also a place to keep a diary and photos etc. I might solve a problem that one day might help someone else

G54B
13-10-11, 11:30 AM
Apparently mine's there for me to carry on with shit and talk about how my car isn't finished yet :P

BR14AN
13-10-11, 11:48 AM
I am just inexperienced when it comes to modifying, so I post up what I am doing to get help/inspiration and I have found some really cool now IRL friends through this forum. I get flamed for modifying my Dato because it was low km's by a large group of the Datsun community, so instead of posting up on ozdat etc, I just take my info/story to another site (this one) where people appreciate the effort/work I am putting in. To the other guys i literally said, eat shit if you wanted the car to stay original you shouldve bought it, its mine and this is the purpose for which I worked to buy this car.
I guess this leads into the discussion, post up your car on/join forums that are actually related to your car? Thats a whole other ball game.

estblshd
13-10-11, 12:34 PM
Not at all. I drive a toyota camry. Need i say more?

The Panda
13-10-11, 01:12 PM
I don't know what this thread is on about. Its so goddamn pointless because the answer is always going to be yes.

People draw inspiration/clue/plagiarise from all different sources. People on this forum just don't like admitting that for the most part they are bandwagon babies. Heaps of the mods that I have done to my car have been straight from the horses mouth - friends, forums, randoms, family, cars i have seen drive past.

I try to say that I build my car only for my own enjoyment, but thats just a bald faced lie. I love my car, and I love driving it. But that only covers 99% of the time. I do care what people think. I enjoy the social aspect of humanity, so it does impact on virtually any decision I make.

There are three things which characterise decision making - individual gain, morality, environment. People who talk about doing things only for themselves are generally just putting up a facade against judgment. Those who deliberately go against the grain are inherently performing actions underpinned by defiance for the environment.

Trust a kid to try so desperately to simplify decision making.

D.K.C
13-10-11, 01:39 PM
I don't know what this thread is on about. Its so goddamn pointless because the answer is always going to be yes.

People draw inspiration/clue/plagiarise from all different sources. People on this forum just don't like admitting that for the most part they are bandwagon babies. Heaps of the mods that I have done to my car have been straight from the horses mouth - friends, forums, randoms, family, cars i have seen drive past.

I try to say that I build my car only for my own enjoyment, but thats just a bald faced lie. I love my car, and I love driving it. But that only covers 99% of the time. I do care what people think. I enjoy the social aspect of humanity, so it does impact on virtually any decision I make.

There are three things which characterise decision making - individual gain, morality, environment. People who talk about doing things only for themselves are generally just putting up a facade against judgment. Those who deliberately go against the grain are inherently performing actions underpinned by defiance for the environment.

This^

Said a lot more eloquently than myself.

Biggie
13-10-11, 01:46 PM
Not at all. I drive a toyota camry. Need i say more?

amen! your car would be a perfect example of "doing it your way"

i love it when you use big words...

The Panda
13-10-11, 01:59 PM
i love it when you use big words...

I love it when you love me

hawkeye
13-10-11, 03:14 PM
god you two are ghey...

Of course, we all take inspiration from somewhere, the people on here and everyother car forum around the globe make up the scene and thats what we look at for ideas. There is no original thought in our world so yeah...

The Panda
13-10-11, 04:37 PM
god you two are ghey...

Of course, we all take inspiration from somewhere, the people on here and everyother car forum around the globe make up the scene and thats what we look at for ideas. There is no original thought in our world so yeah...

I wasn't being existential/post-modernist. Its just a reality. Innovators aren't on forums. They are too busy innovating and shit.

ttshark
13-10-11, 04:45 PM
this thread just got too heavy for me....

I was gonna say look at all the hate in my build thread and you'll see I don't really follow but its just lost its validity when you consider the way I styled the car. performance-wise, I don't know anyone who has done what I am doing. it is the first ever engine conversion in a mazda 6 and the lads in the US want MPS Garage to write a manual on it. I did it because I saw it as something possible... a waste of time for others but not to me since it was the right time and right place for it.

wilch
13-10-11, 04:58 PM
It's human nature to desire external-gratification, and I think forums are better off for it.

IMO, if it wasn't for peoples desire to show things they've done, and find out others opinions on things they've done, forums would be damn boring!

best guy
14-10-11, 10:14 AM
i pretty much only listen to chewy and it's worked pretty well for me so far

Glocker
14-10-11, 12:03 PM
Atmo's right. Listen to chewy and you'll end up winning like him

Oxer
14-10-11, 12:08 PM

You’ve got to be kidding me. I’ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It’s just common sense.

The Panda
14-10-11, 12:13 PM
You’ve got to be kidding me. I’ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It’s just common sense.

You are dumb

ttshark
14-10-11, 12:22 PM

farkn troll connoisseur

Glocker
14-10-11, 12:43 PM

There's a difference between taking good advice and fitting in. Unfortunately 99% of people are trying to fit in instead of listening to good advice. Funnily enough these 99% of good advice comes not from forums but from respected mechanics who's got decades of experience behind them and usually says things that are contrary to forum-knowledge 99% of the time.

ido09s
14-10-11, 01:03 PM
No, no, no and no

Half the cars on the internet are built by backyarders who wouldnt know if they are Arthur or Marthur. And then there is the whole sheep thing.... why would i want to build something that has been built 5000 times before.

I build my cars to perform, and generally there is a high percentage of cars on the internet that have unfortunately been built to compensate for the lack of wang in their pants or to get the sluts and i cant be bothered with that shit lol

WTF!!!!! lol

WAN94N
14-10-11, 01:37 PM
I build my cars to perform, and generally there is a high percentage of cars on the internet that have unfortunately been built to compensate for the lack of wang in their pants or to get the sluts and i cant be bothered with that shit lol

Keep me and wang out of this :(

sent with my wang~

Oxer
14-10-11, 01:56 PM
You are dumb

Thats your opinion, and its on the internet.

That post right there is the perfect example of what this thread is all about.

Biggie
14-10-11, 02:14 PM
Atmo's right. Listen to chewy and you'll end up winning like him

dont feed the wookie

ido09s
14-10-11, 02:51 PM
Thats your opinion, and its on the internet.

That post right there is the perfect example of what this thread is all about.

Have you honestly reread what you typed..... not one bit of it made sense

ttshark
14-10-11, 02:55 PM

lol he did it on purpose... stay on topic guys

big fat paulie
14-10-11, 03:52 PM

What he wrote is exactly what this topic, and 90% of the internet, is all about!

Oxer
14-10-11, 04:01 PM

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/has-anyone-really-been-far-even-as-decided-to-use-even-go-want-to-do-look-more-like

The internet is like the world, It has many cultures that most "normal" people dont know about.

Scandrew
14-10-11, 04:48 PM
Get off the Meth! :P

I often come onto the discussion forum/car culture section to put ahead arguments that eventually come to the conclusion that everyone is different and has a different opinion. Then I realise that's the whole point of what the discussion forum is about.

Then I don't bother posting for the reasons above.

The Panda
14-10-11, 05:46 PM
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/has-anyone-really-been-far-even-as-decided-to-use-even-go-want-to-do-look-more-like

The internet is like the world, It has many cultures that most "normal" people dont know about.

You are a perfect example of a sheep.

Lets have a look at that perfect slot of internet culture you just appropriated in your earlier post.

Like I said, you are dumb

Oxer
14-10-11, 06:01 PM
Sticks and stones mate...

The internet is a tool, I use it for entertainment and opinions like yours are prime time.

Bludger
14-10-11, 08:00 PM
I just do what makes me happy.

Just as long as I don't upset anyone else, everyone should be happy.

The Panda
14-10-11, 08:08 PM
Sticks and stones mate...

The internet is a tool, I use it for entertainment and opinions like yours are prime time.

I don't intend to hurt or offend.

I'm glad that I could also be of some entertainment with my forum alter ego =)

But unfortunately those who are first to judge are often last to comprehend. Lol

big fat paulie
14-10-11, 08:18 PM
This thread needs a massive group hug.

No homo (except biggie and panda).

Honestly. I don't give 2 fucks what you guys think.

I'll use the forum for your experience and Knowledge and, if you play your cards right, maybe social interaction.

Beyond a select few, your all just 1's and 0's to me.

aly in underland
15-10-11, 02:46 PM
In looking into what I was going to get for the Falcon rebuild, I scoured the entire internets and read reviews and build threads and all sorts of information and asked questions on forums, and tried to make an informed decision based on this. This was NOT the best idea.

Problem is, people are naturally subjective and often overrate whatever parts they got simply because they have it, and it's just impossible that anyone saying "x suspension is better than y" or the like will be 100% correct. And this is everyone... anyone from backyard builders to the specialty shops will often choose something because that's just the way they do things or "they have a good feeling about it", and since it's near-impossible to accurately compare parts without hours of testing. And magazines are utterly the worst, since their commercial interests (and the fact that you have to take their word for it) mean they're as reliable as an election campaign.

I may sound like a total skeptic, but this is the lesson I've taken out of my experiences - to not wantonly believe anything I learn about any parts or modifications, and take things slowly. Try talking to people who have used and lived with some parts/modifications for a while who can say things unbiasedly, usually they'll end up saying "Oh, it's awesome, but...". And remember that even the "experts" are human and not infallible. And that something WILL go wrong - it's just how life works.

And in the end, as various people have noted, know what YOU want out of YOUR car first and foremost. You can load a car up with all the most expensive gizmos and gadgets, and still be rubbish. Have a goal set in mind for what you want it to be, and make sure that everything you do points in the direction of the goal.

[/rant]

clutch-monkey
15-10-11, 04:00 PM
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/2557/give9.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/714/give9.jpg/)

Chewbacca
15-10-11, 05:06 PM
You ****s have got to stop kidding yourselves, just about every single one of you has a build thread in which you provide updates and seek adulation.. If none of you clowns cared what people thought, you'd build your car and not waste a single moment taking photo's and updating some log of your achievements or lack there of.

In saying that, just listen to me - I know the forumla for getting the girls gushing with excitement and building a car that will make ****s at your local car park want to give you a blowjob behind the dumpster

clutch-monkey
15-10-11, 05:20 PM
You ****s have got to stop kidding yourselves, just about every single one of you has a build thread
that means we are showing what we are doing, not asking for opinions lol.
nary a single **** on here knows anything worthwhile about 911's so i'm not inclined to care about opinions (except babs and tunersgroup) unless asking about jap trend shit

Ben88
15-10-11, 06:15 PM
that means we are showing what we are doing, not asking for opinions lol.
nary a single **** on here knows anything worthwhile about 911's so i'm not inclined to care about opinions (except babs and tunersgroup) unless asking about jap trend shit

Engine is at the back and they dont have a radiator ("real" 911 at least)... RWB makes awesome ones... what more is there to know?

You cant all deny that you do things at least for a small percentage to seek approval of others... or other wise do the complete opposite just to be different... which is mostly the same thing.

Converge
15-10-11, 06:30 PM
I didn't read through all the pages, but of course, aesthetic wise, very little (Sometime I can't decide what color, etc), but when it comes to performance/handling/etc mods, definitely, no doubt about it, other people have better/more experience, know better, etc. This is how you learn!

Of course this doesn't apply to everyone, but I'm no expert and others opinions do help a lot (Apart from that knob you get every now and again).

clutch-monkey
15-10-11, 07:07 PM
Engine is at the back and they dont have a radiator ("real" 911 at least)... RWB makes awesome ones... what more is there to know?

:lol: +1
lol rwb, that's exactly what i mean

You cant all deny that you do things at least for a small percentage to seek approval of others... or other wise do the complete opposite just to be different... which is mostly the same thing.
on the porsche forums yeah, not you jdm plebs

Paul.S
15-10-11, 07:35 PM
I don't just stop at the internet. I constantly troll the popular areas of the Spotted thread in hope i get spotted.

chewyryce
15-10-11, 11:12 PM
i dont take peoples opinions seriously. i do what i want to do and stick to it unless someone proves to me its pointless and a waste of time and money... but if that time and money that i waste makes me happy then, sh** i'll make myself happy than impress someone. on my build thread i have stated that i have a silver NA6 with an SR20 and wanted it black so i bought a black shell.. people have told me to just paint it... to me painting is time consuming if done properly and will end up costing more money if i were to paint it inside out.

i have done my research and it is in fact CHEAPER for me to buy a rolling shell and transferring everything over. why? cause i have the tools to do it and the friends to help me out.

so no. i dont let peoples opinions affect how i modify my car the way i want it. i dont mind opinions.. everyone has their likes and dislikes on another persons car. in the end its your car and you do what ever the hell you want to.

Haters gonna hate :P

tofubox
16-10-11, 11:12 PM
Its pretty much proven that the general population tends to sway towards what is socially "acceptable." Like just think in terms of fashion, most generally tend to wear in style "hip" fashion and not high trousers tucked in t-shirts.

Whats different about cars? Most tends to try to fit in whats currently "in fashion" cough JDM stickers, before that Neons. Nothing is wrong with trying to fit in anyways, and at the end of the day who doesnt prefer positive feedback about their cars?

That being said, i personally like to try things others have not done, i have received negative feedbacks, such as no point modding my auto rx8 when the manual is that much faster. One reason that i chose to go down this path was simply to prove that i can get somewhere with my car and prove my point. But end of day i'd still prefer positive feedback.

Alot of you may see it in black and white, generally its always a shade of grey, people do what they want to do, but hopefully in the end receive approval of others.

ido09s
17-10-11, 10:15 AM
Why does everyone have to have approval from others? Why would you care what others think of your car? If you have built it the way you want it shouldnt matter what people think, or am i just one of the odd ones who thinks this way?

And why do people always see an opinion as 'haters gonna hate'? Its sayings like this that to me backs up the fact that people build there cars to impress people, not for the satisfaction of having something they built with the mods they want. If you dont like someones opinion dont post your ride on the internet. If you want the world to see it come to grips with the fact that there will be people who dont like your car.

anth
17-10-11, 11:05 AM
build threads are for chumps.

Babalouie
17-10-11, 11:25 AM
I think feedback is a great thing.

Like, that steampunk thing I had going for a little while, with all that copper piping going around the engine bay. I wasn't 100% about it, but the act of taking pics of it, writing it up for the build thread and then reading it back to yourself later does help you get some perspective on it.

And when the feedback came in, some ppl liked it, and some ppl didn't, and sometimes the comments that ppl make will hit the nail on the head and that helps you decide what to do next. In the end I went for a more subtle approach, which I prefer. Note that it isn't a change I made purely because ppl hated the original, it's because other ppl helped me decide.

It's not about approval, sometimes the process of presenting something in a build thread helps your own decision process.

ttshark
17-10-11, 11:38 AM
It's not about approval, sometimes the process of presenting something in a build thread helps your own decision process.

agreed. to say that build threads are attempts at seeking adulation and that it's all for chumps are quite simply useless assumptions in this argument. That's like saying everyone in the fucking world does what I say because I know it!!!

Everyone has their reasons. Perhaps the majority are doing as you think, however there are, would you believe, people out there that do it in appreciation of their car? Some do it because they have OCD. Some do it because their nature is to blog everything they do.

All in all this is just another one of those stupid threads where you get people admitting to being unique and then the usual pompous fools who try to convince them they are all sheep.

We are all different, suck it up.

JDM Obsession
17-10-11, 12:55 PM
Most people, whether they admit to it or not, do let other people influence the way they modify their car. It might not even be a person that influences you; it could be a business, a car club, or a fairly innocuous photoblog. Influences and trends shape the way that we build our cars, and with the widespread prevalence of the internet it is now almost impossible to resist such influences!

As an example, the first optional front bar I owned for an S13 Silvia I bought about six years ago for the princely sum of about $200. That was before the whole craze came along. Try buying one these days and they go for about three times that price. It was also a time, if I remember correctly, where you could post a few pics of your car with a decent gap in between the guard and the tyre and not get fried. Trends come and go, 'fitment' or whatever it is called seems to be the flavour of the year at the moment and the increasing amount of cars on the scene rocking wheels with lower or negative offset certainly backs this up.

As someone that works in the aftermarket parts industry, one thing that I have also noticed is that so many people make impulse decisions or hurriedly 'build' a car and the final product reflects this. Maybe it is just that younger people these days want instant gratification, maybe it isn't. My own personal build has been in the works for over three years and I have learnt to take things slowly simply because it is easier on the wallet and allows time to reflect back on the modifications you've made. Has it improved the car or made it worse? Aesthetically, functionally, practically, does it work? Forums can be useful for garnering opinions but at the end of the day I try not to do take too much notice of what people say.

chewyryce
18-10-11, 10:21 AM
And why do people always see an opinion as 'haters gonna hate'? Its sayings like this that to me backs up the fact that people build there cars to impress people, not for the satisfaction of having something they built with the mods they want. If you dont like someones opinion dont post your ride on the internet. If you want the world to see it come to grips with the fact that there will be people who dont like your car.

when i said "haters gonna hate" i didnt mean as in they're jelly. i was directing that towards the negative feedback people may say about the way you modify your car. just because they disapprove that the mod you are doing is good or not doesnt mean you need to listen to them. unless their reasons are valid.

your build thread is to show people what you have done and what you can do, because it is YOUR car and no one to stop you from doing silly mods. i know there will be an equal amount of people who approve and disapprove of things they see on a vehicle. i shouldnt have to tell someone that the cheap knock off branded wheels make the car look like sh**. Its not my car and i dont care what they do to it. We dont need any mod police trolling in our build threads controlling us.

Oxer
18-10-11, 02:22 PM
The beauty of the internet is that every single word typed on it can be taken out of/used in the wrong context because everyone sees everything differently to one another.

I could call panda gay, but how do you know if I mean it to be in a homosexual context or the way he is feeling in his posts.

Interwebz, srs bzns.

RUNNINMEBROKE
18-10-11, 04:23 PM
Nope not at all, their opinion is just that.

dave2221
18-10-11, 04:35 PM
Well, think of it this way.

Do you build your car to make you feel good?

Does it feel good when the general public like your car?

If yes then who cares, as long as you're happy with your car

The Panda
18-10-11, 07:39 PM
The beauty of the internet is that every single word typed on it can be taken out of/used in the wrong context because everyone sees everything differently to one another.

I could call panda gay, but how do you know if I mean it to be in a homosexual context or the way he is feeling in his posts.

Interwebz, srs bzns.

Yup. The internets mean shit.

Oxer could meet me and decide that I am a really nice guy and vice versa. Another reason I don't truly judge people until I meet them

SR24VET
21-10-11, 08:14 PM
When I first got into cars I'll admit I was pretty clueless. I took advice here and there, researched opinions on setups etc then made up my own mind. I used to be a fan of massive body kits that scrape etc but in time I learnt less is more and considering how the popo love our japanese rockets I learnt that stealth is the key.

EVOVII
20-11-11, 10:23 PM
Mechanically - Yes
Aesthetically - No

+1

daevilone
20-11-11, 10:47 PM
Yes. I most definitely take others opinions into account. It doesn't make the decision for me but it's weight to arguments.

For instance when I was hunting for a lip there were two contenders. Both looked pretty cool. In the end it was others opinions that swayed the choice.

I think those that say no to this question need to rethink. I'm sure you are doing things because you think they are cool. Why do you think they are cool? Is it because it's the current trend that you've seen on forums and thought looks really cool? Realistically we are all on jdmst... So we are all fans of, well, jdm style tuning. Which is a trend created by others, displayed on the internet and we think it's all cool.

So yes. I suggest that the vast majority of us let others opinions guide our modifications.

harris
20-11-11, 11:42 PM
I make my car hellaflush so I can keep up with the latest trends then stick clothing label stickers on my car.

Drifter995
20-11-11, 11:58 PM
In short, yes. I work with how other people think.. If I'm not sure what to do, I'll ask for help/ ideas.. and if i get a response that i really like/ gets a great response that i like, i'll go ahead with it.. like with the whole civic buisness i had.. i wasn't really sure what to do, and then majority opinion was to keep the old civ, so i went with that :D

I'm such an attention whore D:

SLO40Z
21-11-11, 12:06 AM
not really, my mate couldnt care less and most think i'm stupid (mainly cos most of them can afford audis, bmw, vw etc...)

i take inspiration rom others and will get feedback from mates i know are into cars and like similar things to me, but as far as trends/friends/the general population go i couldnt care less what they think :)

wilch
21-11-11, 07:11 AM
I like things, other people don't like things.

But when other people like the things I like, I'm like, "We rock!"

...and everything's cool that way. :)

KEIVAN
21-11-11, 07:17 AM
Mechanically - Yes
Aesthetically - No

What he said

Glocker
24-11-11, 11:37 AM
If you don't agree with what I'm doing to my car, you are a **** and I will diss what you drive. If not let's hang out and be sik kokonuts and form a really cool drift crew with secret handshakes and club jackets.

mig
24-11-11, 12:13 PM
My modding style is clean/subtle..somthing that everyone can appreciate. Looking at most cars on here, people appear to be going towards slammed ride height, power and low offset.
:D

EGG80X
24-11-11, 01:41 PM
Kyle Sandilands would stuggle modding his car

best guy
24-11-11, 01:44 PM
he lived next door to me until recently, drove some big ass black rolls or bently looking chariot.. no need to mod haha

TyD
24-11-11, 02:27 PM
If peoples opinions didn't matter I would have my CR Kais fluro yellow and a fluro yellow type R wing.

MACDOG
24-11-11, 03:10 PM
If peoples opinions didn't matter I would have my CR Kais fluro yellow and a fluro yellow type R wing.

I'll support you ^^

3AM
24-11-11, 03:11 PM
If you care about other peoples opinions you're a trend whore and a follower.

You should build a car primarily based on function and make your own decisions with good judgement and good taste to make a car that truely stands above the crowd.

STI-47W
24-11-11, 06:50 PM
yeah i guess.
I wanted to stickerbomb my engine cover untill i joined this forum.

If we didnt have people criticising peoples modifications, the scene would be so bland.

45SET
24-11-11, 08:26 PM
No. I see trends or modifications that I like, then I put my own spin on it, such as the "fitment" thing. I saw cars doing it almost 2 years ago, liked it, and researched what sized rims I would need to get the look I wanted. But I could have got a regular colour rim, instead I got Mag Blue.

Also same thing with my recent engine transplant. Everyone assumed I was building a K24/20, but I went the route of just a K24. People questioned my decision at first, I explained it, they lived with it...

The only people I have let me influence my decision on mods I perform to my car are my brothers.

MrVu
24-11-11, 08:51 PM
i drive a celica and my member ride is not worth reading or replying too...
so no opinion can hurt me

only wish people can appreciate the car more (celica, not just mine)

Scandrew
24-11-11, 08:51 PM
I don't care what other people think.

If I like what I see and I'm happy then that's all that matters :)

nigs
29-11-11, 12:25 PM
For most a car is the extension of ones ego. So by that nature, we all do to some degree.
If you are a typical male anyway.

Downshift
29-11-11, 12:46 PM

So glad peoples opinions count in this case. Also just as a note, no that isn't USDM.

saad
29-11-11, 01:34 PM
Yes. I was going to buy Replica wheels, but then I didnt cos of this forum.

Plus, say if i need to make a decision, I dont have many car friends in real life, and dont really trust the opinion of my Fiance, so I ask here. Whatever the majority thinks loooks better wins, if Im 50:50 over something

RLA_MULISHA
24-01-12, 11:16 PM
My car...

I like it, I like what I do to it

You don't like it, don't read my thread..

_Dee
26-01-12, 09:08 AM
id probably agree with whiteballz on this, if i were modding say some car that i like right now, id usually plan ahead and research what i want and how itll work, exterior wise id research and see what i like and what looks nice, mechanically id also research but if i had someones opinion on a part that id buy for the car mechanically i would try verify their information first, research it abit more thoroughly and then find something else that i like that would suit what i want, opinions can really help alot but always to an extent, i believe you should take an opinion in, and if its valid then you should look more into that opinion, research the point given within it and if it works out then rething what you should do with your original plans. Some people say the decision is yours to take it in and follow it, i believe you should take it in as background knowledge and find an alternative unless the opinion suggested an alternative that you wouldve already liked or thought about before then yeh all good i guess =)

dobo
26-03-12, 03:42 PM
Do I let others opinions effect how i modify? No
Do I take advice? Yes

If i read on a forum somwhere that gold meshies dont suit a a certain car, or that a certain engine is crap, i wont give it 2 thoughts in my ultimate plan for a car. i know what i like and ill figure it out myself. but if someone gives me advice on a build, from their experience of course im goin to listen and take it into consideration.

i think this is the big difference.

alexmg
28-03-12, 12:43 AM
I do appreciate feedback, but people have different tastes, it's almost an art thing, so to some extent it's good to get input & ideas, but I wouldn't let it direct me in what I do with a car.

alexmg
28-03-12, 01:02 AM
I do appreciate feedback, but people have different tastes, it's almost an art thing, so to some extent it's good to get input & ideas, but I wouldn't let it direct me in what I do with a car.

jakeb16
28-03-12, 08:38 AM
Fck what you herd recognize what you see ;)
Everyone has there own opinions and would probly always do something different but at the end of the day there not funding your car for mods etc so dw what people say, there will always be people who dont like it but then there is heaps that will.

FRpilot
28-03-12, 09:09 AM
yeh i do why not

Fresh
06-06-12, 11:44 AM
To an extent. For example I decided to sticker bomb a small section of my car knowing that A LOT of people are against it but you know what I like it.

Magnet
07-06-12, 11:29 AM
Everyone does mods for Internet points, don't talk shit

declanbehan
07-06-12, 12:22 PM
Everyone does mods for Internet points, don't talk shit

e.g?

(Locky)
07-06-12, 12:42 PM
yep, im only in the game for the internet points :lol:

I just hate when people ask for advice, 90% of people give the same opinion of what will and wont work....... Then they go and do the exact opposite and complain it doesnt work or calls people haters

People telling you something was done wrong/not the best way, does not make them a hater.

evolution8MR
07-06-12, 12:44 PM
e.g?

U serious? Heres an interesting equation for you

Joining JDMST + starting a show thread + mods (and updating your show thread) = internet points

Anyone that thinks a 'show thread' is a 'diary so I can keep track of sh!t' is kidding themselves; its all for interwebz points. Same as listing all your mods in your sig > its the IT version of 'beating your chest'

Fr4n
07-06-12, 01:24 PM
word.
these people gotta find narcissistic supply somewhere

declanbehan
07-06-12, 05:57 PM
U serious? Heres an interesting equation for you

Joining JDMST + starting a show thread + mods (and updating your show thread) = internet points

Anyone that thinks a 'show thread' is a 'diary so I can keep track of sh!t' is kidding themselves; its all for interwebz points. Same as listing all your mods in your sig > its the IT version of 'beating your chest'

this is pretty accurate, asking people which set of $10K rims you should get isn't just a matter of asking for opinions..
but I thought he was moreso referring to trends such as stickerbombing etc

toro seven
20-08-12, 08:14 PM
he lived next door to me until recently, drove some big ass black rolls or bently looking chariot.. no need to mod haha

Now we know where you live

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

-ry
20-08-12, 09:05 PM
I think so to a certain extent. When I started working on my car I posted up a build thread and got some pretty negative feedback, which really cut me ahaha, but I'm so glad I did get it, I was making my car look so much cheaper then it needed to! I took the criticism on board and I think I've been able to build a better car accordingly, it's still nothing special what so ever but at least it's not as bad as it was before :)

datlova
20-08-12, 09:40 PM
when i started the build on my sunny truck, i stickerbombed random shit and i thought i was the maddest fuck in the world, then everyone critisized me, and i suddenly realised, "hey, this actually looks like complete shit". so i removed it all hahaha cheers to all the constructive criticize i have been given, its helped me a shit load. :D

.Dave
20-08-12, 10:04 PM
i think changing something because it actually looks shit and you realise that or want to go a different style is good... getting certain wheels/seats/mods because a bunch f guys on the internet told you to is just silly, make the car your own, but make it nice too...

RA23GT
22-08-12, 10:38 PM
fck no...

Noteven
22-08-12, 10:46 PM
fck no...

This guy.

DubDub
23-08-12, 04:09 AM
Someone from this forum told me 1 of my cars was a piece of shit lol..
25yrs modifying cars, I'm still doing my own thing.

Type-Rice
23-08-12, 10:13 AM
Do you let people’s opinions on forums effect how you modify your Car?

Depends on which forum, this forum no, others yes.

Same as 18 yr old keyboard warrior vs. 40+ yr old race engineer.

DakDak
23-08-12, 10:53 AM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-region/cars/1994-toyota-soarer-1jz-gte-manual-gtr-drift-show-car/1005788321

This guy ^ doesnt give two fucks about what people think.

ido09s
23-08-12, 12:09 PM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-region/cars/1994-toyota-soarer-1jz-gte-manual-gtr-drift-show-car/1005788321

When i looked at the number plate i thought it said AIDS lol

Fr4n
23-08-12, 01:23 PM

well he fucken should.

props for doing something different. thumbs all the way down for destroying 2 good cars

yiddo
11-09-12, 08:23 PM
People are very quick to criticise these days.

I would never change my mind due to people saying "that doesn't look good"

Shape your car around your ideas, not someone elses.

links123
10-12-12, 08:14 PM
I like the idea.

Steel Fabrication Melbourne (http://www.flawlessconstructions.com.au/) | Steel Fabricators Melbourne (http://www.flawlessconstructions.com.au/)

EvoX
23-02-13, 04:58 PM
When I was younger I used be influenced by peoples opinions. Nowadays as I'm older, it's more about, what I feel comfortable driving. This applies more so to bodykits than engine/mods.

ROBAPHENT
25-02-13, 10:06 AM
I have been affected by how i mod my car.

But in a good way for example picking to run something and someone advised me of a better product and i ended up with that product.

There is a lot of people who will try and push there own way on to you. i just leave it do my own thing i will listen to others and research but end choice is mine and i could not care if people hate it or love it.

OVTEC
25-02-13, 10:31 AM
Yes, more and more people are hardparking these days so instead I build my car to go fast and it doesn't take me 2 hours to maneuver over a speed bump or enter a driveway. Then I laugh at those people who hard park.

Fr4n
25-02-13, 11:32 AM
Yes, more and more people are hardparking these days so instead I build my car to go fast and it doesn't take me 2 hours to maneuver over a speed bump or enter a driveway. Then I laugh at those people who hard park.

This has little relevance to topic of OP

OVTEC
25-02-13, 11:53 AM
This has little relevance to topic of OP

People's opinion - they like to hard park.

Effects on me modifying my car - I don't like their opinions so I do the opposite, I make it go fast.

DubDub
22-03-13, 02:20 AM
I piss people off all the time cause my daily is so low, but it reasonable height to what I'd prefer.. 30yrs on, I still doing what I want an loving it.. most opinions will move on like those who pass them..My housemate prefers my Honda, dropped 4", 19's, exhaust, intake, ecu remap.. It still bore's me personally now, like it did when I bought it 5 yrs ago.. Each to their own.

MeRlz
02-04-13, 10:10 PM
I was one to hate on people for the whole stance thing when it got really out of hand at one stage. But being away from the scene for so long has made me come to realize that these people all share the same love i do. We all love our cars. No matter what style you desire to achieve.

Some people might love having their cars sitting really low just purely for looks/show which is fine.
Some people might like the satisfaction of having that power there with all the modifications without constantly using it (on the street for example).
Some people love putting modifications into a car and then taking their car out and taking it to the limit.

So all in all you shouldn't let people tell you what to do with your car. If its what you really want then i say don't listen to anyone and do it!

ON888
03-04-13, 12:49 AM
No.

http://www.theskyisnotyourlimit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/meerkat.jpg

George.
04-04-13, 12:05 AM
Nope

Oxer
06-04-13, 12:28 AM
I was one to hate on people for the whole stance thing when it got really out of hand at one stage. But being away from the scene for so long has made me come to realize that these people all share the same love i do. We all love our cars. No matter what style you desire to achieve.

Some people might love having their cars sitting really low just purely for looks/show which is fine.
Some people might like the satisfaction of having that power there with all the modifications without constantly using it (on the street for example).
Some people love putting modifications into a car and then taking their car out and taking it to the limit.

So all in all you shouldn't let people tell you what to do with your car. If its what you really want then i say don't listen to anyone and do it!

A random [email protected] Merlz appears!

Trollface
06-04-13, 11:58 PM
A random [email protected] Merlz appears!

ur still a fagget **** so stfu

Oxer
07-04-13, 03:13 AM
ur still a fagget **** so stfu

You're a disgrace to your username and avatar. your trolling is bad and you should feel bad.

neni
07-04-13, 08:14 PM
Gonna enter in stance off, if its not stancenation approved gonna part out and roll stock and leave the car scene because not stance worthy

ashyj
08-04-13, 12:14 PM
Not really, keyboard warriors are increasing in today's population.

This

mark.
08-04-13, 12:21 PM
Gonna enter in stance off, if its not stancenation approved gonna part out and roll stock and leave the car scene because not stance worthy

LOL, oohhh man "stance off" shits is gunna be da hella illest, how many stance does it take to qualify for the competition arena A?

neni
08-04-13, 05:49 PM
LOL, oohhh man "stance off" shits is gunna be da hella illest, how many stance does it take to qualify for the competition arena A?

i don't know, i think it's got more to do with how much you suck off the judges? i'm just guessing i'm not sure, could just be a massive jerkle bukkake sesh

albo
08-04-13, 08:28 PM
I use the interweb forums as my main source of inspiration of car modifaction. If I post up a picture of my car and I am wondering what kinds of modifications it needs I just check back in a few days for inspiration.
One of the first mods I performed on my car was 'Moaaaaaaaaar Low' coz poster IHasJDM said I needed it very enthusiastically.

Forums such as this one is also helpful in that I can ask questions such as 'Help I cant align the stickers on my Volk TE37SL 19x11.5's' and I will be provided with many useful posts and diagrams. My Rota grid-r 17x6.5+55 have never looked better thanks guys!

The thrill you get when you post up that you have modified your car and then the guy with the most posts says 'Nice' is just amazing. It is a much better feeling that choking a midget with your banana down at banana alley in the late 1970's.

I have posted a picture of myself standing by my car with my JDM Style hat on my head and a smug I have a massive e-peen look on my face here:
My hat and me (http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?54124-WTB-JDM-PARTS)

Chewbacca
09-04-13, 05:03 PM
Do you have a build thread?

Do you have a plethora of stickers from the internet?

Do you read stance nation or some other 'stance' based website?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions then you care about everyone else's opinions and will probably cry if the internet turns against you.
If you answered yes to all of the above questions, run yourself a warm bath and grab the razors.

i pretty much only listen to chewy and it's worked pretty well for me so far

Recognize.

(Locky)
09-04-13, 05:08 PM
^^^ chewy does not need a car to give advice
"for it is the greatest samurai who lets his sword rust in its scabbard."

Stunn-R
09-04-13, 05:30 PM
I use the interweb forums as my main source of inspiration of car modifaction. If I post up a picture of my car and I am wondering what kinds of modifications it needs I just check back in a few days for inspiration.
One of the first mods I performed on my car was 'Moaaaaaaaaar Low' coz poster IHasJDM said I needed it very enthusiastically.

Forums such as this one is also helpful in that I can ask questions such as 'Help I cant align the stickers on my Volk TE37SL 19x11.5's' and I will be provided with many useful posts and diagrams. My Rota grid-r 17x6.5+55 have never looked better thanks guys!

The thrill you get when you post up that you have modified your car and then the guy with the most posts says 'Nice' is just amazing. It is a much better feeling that choking a midget with your banana down at banana alley in the late 1970's.

I have posted a picture of myself standing by my car with my JDM Style hat on my head and a smug I have a massive e-peen look on my face here:
My hat and me (http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?54124-WTB-JDM-PARTS)

So, you lowered your car more because some random in your thread said "moar low" ?

neni
09-04-13, 05:47 PM
if someone on the interwebs says more low and you need fitment you must get fitment like these guys cause they has the best fitment ever, they got 99 problems but fitment aint one

http://www.estblshd.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/DSC_4241.jpg

http://www.estblshd.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/IMG_5168.jpg

mark.
09-04-13, 07:08 PM
dude with 99 problems... has 100 problems (at least, but the other shit is probably included in the 99)

URXQSD
09-04-13, 07:55 PM
There are always going to be those that lead and those that choose to follow,
It all comes down to you as an individual. Do you dare to tear away from the mould or follow the flock...
A

neni
09-04-13, 08:02 PM
What if you're a one man wolf pack

URXQSD
09-04-13, 08:10 PM
^then you going to tear s*** up like a mofo

albo
09-04-13, 08:23 PM
So, you lowered your car more because some random in your thread said "moar low" ?

No I'm not silly, I'm not going to lower my car just because some random in my thread says "moar low".

It was a well respected moderator of the forums and he posted it as the below:

"http://ocobiega.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Poker_FaceCzyste.png
needs mooooooooooooaaaaaaaarrrrrrr low"

Obviously thats something you have to pay attention to and do.

mark.
09-04-13, 08:27 PM
I follow the mould and tear the flock away

Stunn-R
10-04-13, 02:36 PM
No I'm not silly, I'm not going to lower my car just because some random in my thread says "moar low".

It was a well respected moderator of the forums and he posted it as the below:

"http://ocobiega.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Poker_FaceCzyste.png
needs mooooooooooooaaaaaaaarrrrrrr low"

Obviously thats something you have to pay attention to and do.

Why would you listen to someone who doesn't have arms :/

dougz0r
10-04-13, 09:26 PM

Dont be fooled by the massive autist of a troll please.

I have a pretty set idea of what I want my car to look like, drive like and what mods I will need to achieve it. But Im the kind of guy that researches for hours on end about the smallest of mods haha

KidDynamite
25-04-13, 06:26 AM
mod the car the way you want after all its your car and your money your throwing at your car why are you trying to making people on the internet happy for I made this mistake when I first owned a silvia and I regretted taking all the advice and suggestions now Im building my car without a "build thread" for erep's and im far more happy building and modding my car

CaptainColen
26-04-13, 02:38 PM
The true boss don't tell anybody their mods. Phantom of the touge

neni
28-04-13, 09:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VOSs5Xh.jpg

Lupin
28-04-13, 09:31 PM
I'd like to say I don't pay attention, but I think I do.

I kinda think about things for far too long before actually doing them. In that time I tend to change my mind or have it swayed slightly.

MobiTechi
01-12-13, 04:18 PM
Yes, wasn't sure how much tint to get on my car, people said go below 35 because no one would tell so I did.
^ One example

Type-Rice
06-12-13, 01:29 PM
don't give a shit about anyone's opinion, unless it yields more power lol

BOSSR
17-03-14, 11:42 PM
Nope, you modify it to your taste. Your opinion matters most.

greatbeardedface
05-04-14, 02:53 PM
When I build my cars i already know where im going to finish. I find having a well defined "end game" stops other people from influencing you to deviate from the plan. Especially helpful when building on an unpopular platform or what your doing is a bit extreme. Your always going to have people tell you to do it another way or that it cant be done at alll. Its down to you to differentiate between "is this person giving me advice to help me" or "is this person just close minded and throwing in their anonymous 2 cents cause they can," assuming because they couldnt or cant do it then you cant/ should/shouldnt either.

PHRHD
20-04-14, 05:47 AM
Honestly, while I don't let what others say change how I modify, I do take inspiration from their words, twisting them and contorting them to meet my individual style and needs. It is really about noticing the difference between what works for their car, and what works for yours.

mullens
22-04-14, 05:06 PM
i dont care what people think

if youre worried about what other people think, you shouldnt be modifying cars

cars are just like anything, some people get it and some people dont, some people lead and others follow

just rock what you like and if you love it then thats all that matters

(i havent read any other pages then the current and im sure eveything ive said has been mentioned)