PDA

View Full Version : Misconceptions in the 'Import Scene'.

Adjacent
08-03-12, 01:46 AM
In the modern Sydney car scene, we are heavily influenced by many car scenes on a global level. From Euo style to USDM builts. But there has always been a dominating factor in this car scene that I've always had issue with.

The misconceptions of what is actually 'JDM'. Personally I hate the term JDM, and rather it be called the 'import' scene. But since the term is widely used its going to stick. But within the JDM scene, it is full of common misconceptions on what is actually JDM and what isn't.

e.g. Black bonnets, sticker bombing, stance, Wakaba that are left on more than a year, etc.

To me the term was to define a style of tuning that was different from most parts of the world. Essentially the recipe was the same, but with different ingredients. I dont want to go into too much of what I think is JDM, but what others believe is JDM and what they feel are the misconceptions on the current and later scene.

discuss.

Drifter995
08-03-12, 02:02 AM
I Feel matte black bonnets and wheels is more bogan spec than jdm...
I do agree with you, it seems to be very broad...

I'd probably say little bit of stickerbombing here (maybe) a nice stockish look, with nice wheels, that aren't too big (like 16~ inch depending on the car) and stuff like that.
Then again, I don't really know much about jdm, i'm just guessing. it's what I'd imagine. A clean car with tasteful mods. Jdm?

Bang A Dang
08-03-12, 02:04 AM
topic has been covered/elaborated upon etc etc etc...

here

http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?29476-JDMST-it-s-about-people-trying-to-half-ass-copy-Japanese-styling...

Drifter995
08-03-12, 02:11 AM
ah, forgot about that topic >.>

MR2
08-03-12, 09:16 AM
It would be nice if it was just Gray/Small Volume imports not "it maybe Tuned/modded how some Japanese person on weed would do it"

Adjacent
08-03-12, 04:54 PM
topic has been covered/elaborated upon etc etc etc...

here

http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?29476-JDMST-it-s-about-people-trying-to-half-ass-copy-Japanese-styling...

Oh cool. I'm not a regular contributor to the forum, more of a lurker looking at rides and checking out some of the tech forums. But in the recent years I've been going to meets and looking at the current scene, more and more I'm starting to notice this weird 'Im so JDM, I use a sushi roll as a flesh light ^_^!' shenanighans. Ive always appreciated the different and weird, but now I'm starting to see the fake and immitation. Go to a meet or a JDM car show and I guarantee you'll spot a car with cable ties, on a bumper. Not because they had an accident, but becasue they thought it was JDM so they cut there bar. Stickers covering entire panels and probably not having to do with 90% of the brands/makes on the stickers, but its JDM right?

And can someone clarify this for me.... What the fuck is the obsession with Illest stickers? I honestly feel like getting a sticker for my car 'healthiest'.

Prancer
08-03-12, 04:58 PM
haters gon hate

Fr4n
08-03-12, 05:11 PM
how do roof racks and mismatching front/rear wheels make a car look aggressive?

Drifter995
08-03-12, 05:13 PM
Don't have a clue what illest is, but do it, put a healthiest sticker on your car. I'd join you in a laff

(Locky)
08-03-12, 05:22 PM
Oh cool. I'm not a regular contributor to the forum, more of a lurker looking at rides and checking out some of the tech forums. But in the recent years I've been going to meets and looking at the current scene, more and more I'm starting to notice this weird 'Im so JDM, I use a sushi roll as a flesh light ^_^!' shenanighans. Ive always appreciated the different and weird, but now I'm starting to see the fake and immitation. Go to a meet or a JDM car show and I guarantee you'll spot a car with cable ties, on a bumper. Not because they had an accident, but becasue they thought it was JDM so they cut there bar.That is just stupid idiots, got no idea why you would (and my car is built with cableties) Stickers covering entire panels and probably not having to do with 90% of the brands/makes on the stickers, but its JDM right?
No more of a USDM thing, again I have alot of sticker, but not 'bomed'. It stared with people using all stickers that they got free with products, groups they support ect. Now people just buy sheet of it for $20 and go at it, or ever worse the hardtune one where it is one sheet printed onto a vinyl sheet. Again it rarly looks good

And can someone clarify this for me.... What the fuck is the obsession with Illest stickers? I honestly feel like getting a sticker for my car 'healthiest'.
Its a clothing brand.............. thats it
but they started the website hellaflush (well fatlace the parent company)... when cars got featured on the website they would have a hellaflush and Illist sticker put on the car
So all these stanced cars started poping up with these stickers.... This was just as the idea of 'stance/offset/fitment' was starting to filter into aus a few years ago

people thought "ive gots to get me on that bandwagon"
Just started buying the stickers, most not owning any illist clothing, some not even knowing what it is, just saw pics on the net of it so had to get a peice of that sweet sweet action

Those have to be up there as my 3 major hates of the 'non sexspec import scene' for lack of a better word.
Behind copy parts where it is a flat out breach of copyright, design and interlectual property (like Bride seats made in tiwan that look 100% the same, rota's ect)