PDA

View Full Version : Grippy N/A's

maykosilvia
12-04-12, 03:08 PM
Anyone got any experience with N/A (P Plater) cars that have reasonable grip and handling capabilities (sometimes for trackday action). I'm aware of cars like Integra Type R's and such, but has anyone had any experience with other cars, i.e Satria Proton GTi's or Renault Clio's?

muncher
12-04-12, 03:26 PM
NA8 mx5, so good!

CallMeKay
12-04-12, 03:37 PM
grippy na6/8

Jace.
12-04-12, 03:42 PM
MX5, x3

G54B
12-04-12, 03:44 PM
Satria GTi's are good for what they are, pretty much a CE Mirage with a decent 1.8 DOHC engine, Lotus-tuned suspension and flares
Other than that, I hear MX5's are good.

13BWAT
12-04-12, 04:02 PM
mx5, reasonably cheap for alot of thrills!!!

ram
12-04-12, 04:12 PM
Clio Sports are a bargain these days if you get one that has been looked after. Alot of power in a lightweight body. Friend has one and it goes hard through the twisties

schoona
12-04-12, 04:24 PM
Mk4 r32 golf ;) one for sale ATM that I know of :p

Renaults or peugeots ( but reliability is likely to be woeful so just enjoy the jap stuff)

N14 pulsar with an sr, coils sways and LSD perhaps?

maykosilvia
12-04-12, 04:34 PM
Mk4 r32 golf ;) one for sale ATM that I know of :p

Renaults or peugeots ( but reliability is likely to be woeful so just enjoy the jap stuff)

N14 pulsar with an sr, coils sways and LSD perhaps?

you got a link to the mk4 r32?

that's what i'm worried about with euro stuff and also that there's just not as many parts here in aus.

and i've read that Pulsars with a few handling mods can do wonders as well!

schoona
12-04-12, 04:46 PM
It's in the cars section on this forum.

Pulsars are fun as, even without the LSD. Coils, sways and nice tyres and you'll be set

STI-47W
12-04-12, 04:54 PM
Golf vr6.
one of my favourite cars ive owned.

Bronald McDonald
12-04-12, 04:59 PM
Golf VR6... Awesome cars on paper but bad examples can be woeful.

Same with the Cliosport really. MX5 / S15 Autech / R34 n/a are good choices.

TONTON
12-04-12, 05:07 PM
ae111? civics?

maykosilvia
12-04-12, 05:11 PM
R32 golf's are a little outside my price range!

clutch-monkey
12-04-12, 05:18 PM
911 (no budget mentioned)

maykosilvia
12-04-12, 05:18 PM
Pulsar VZ-R ?

TONTON
12-04-12, 05:20 PM
bmw m3's

maykosilvia
12-04-12, 05:21 PM

Wishing. Anything up to about $18,000

dobo
12-04-12, 05:29 PM
If you want something grippy and practical what about a subie? Rx libs are pretty good if a little heavy, but its like they run on rails in the corners. If your budget is 18k a gen 4 3lt h6 one would be a blast on a track.

NAS2000
12-04-12, 05:46 PM
If you're really interested in tracking a car, then you should go for a jap car. It can get pretty expensive when it comes to the track and if anything else goes wrong you'll need alot of spare cash at the ready. But in saying that any good example, be that it is japanese, german, etc should be good to go.

BMW E30 M3 is P plate legal and should be pretty decent out of the box. Maintaining might be abit too expensive but they can do 0-100kph in 6-7 seconds, 1300 kgs and being a BMW they came with all sorts of equipment as standard. All you'll have to do is lighten the car and add some power and you should be good to go. Being an old M3 though, a good one might be hard to find.

AE111, not too sure about this one. It has alot going for it, but it's an import (ASFAI), so even though its japanese I'm not too sure about the availability for parts (mechanically it should share parts with other toyotas, exterior/interior parts wise it might be alot harder).

MX5's handle well, but lack alot of power. The biggest downer is the power bit, it's retardly slow out of the box for a sports car and even though it does handle well, you'll need to pour a considerable amount of money into them to make them go alot faster N/A. It would be more fun on your fulls since you could probably turbocharge it and have a 200+rwkw lightweight monster.

But Honda's seem to shine when it comes to P plater daily/track cars. DC2R (even though it was mentioned by the OP) would be my pick if I were to take into account, reliability, daily driving, track use and maintenance costs.

DW CUZ
12-04-12, 05:50 PM
S2000

pablos8
12-04-12, 06:16 PM
Mx5 any model.

Slow down the straight, fast through the corners

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

bluesprinter
12-04-12, 06:22 PM
lol get out of here you noob..seriously!!

bluesprinter
12-04-12, 06:23 PM
Yes Type R for the win, now go buy one and become a champ..for the lolz

hazmatt_05
12-04-12, 06:38 PM
Can't go past an NA MX5. Cheap, light, and RWD - what more could you want? :)

Jace.
12-04-12, 06:45 PM
buy a VR6 if you enjoy everything breaking, from cruise control, power window regulators, ABS etc. and it costing you 3x the amount to fix the same issues on an australian or japanese car.

terrible cars, except for the noise.

Glocker
12-04-12, 06:51 PM
Best grip? MR2 3GSE, midship ftw.

91led
12-04-12, 07:53 PM
Where do we start? First thing would be that tracking a car will chew through money, as someone said before. Hell, I've been to Wakefield once and the $600 gearbox rebuild afterwards means I haven't been since (through lack of time as much as money).

Second thing, is your budget just a lump sum that's sitting there, or is it being added to with money you earn from somewhere? If you don't have any income, I wouldn't spend anywhere near the 18k you mentioned. If you do have an income, don't cut too fine on initial purchase price. Shit adds up quick sometimes and money in the bank is always good to have.

Finally, what type of car are you looking at exactly? Your OP says to me that you want something that's small and zippy, rather than a bit of a boat, but I'll throw in some of everything to cover you.

N15 Pulsar VZ-R: the stated budget will cover purchase price with plenty left over, maybe put that towards suspension work, good tyres or even a mechanical LSD. Parts aren't too bad from what I hear, but some VE specific parts can require patience to find and acquire. All things considered, not a slow car but won't be cutting mad quarters.

MX-5: The ubiquitous affordable sports car. NA and NB fall within the budget and are Aus delivered models, so parts shouldn't be too much of an issue. Not powerful by any stretch, but you'll enjoy it much more than the power figure suggests. If practicality is a criteria, that would be one of the few negatives.

DC2R: The P plater special. Quite often seen on the high cam leaving intersections and traffic lights, but if you can find one that's been taken care of, Honda bulletproof-ness should take over and it'll go for a while. Strong aftermarket as well.

Euro hot hatchery (Mk3 VR6, Clio Sport, etc.): Generally nice enough to drive, provided they don't fall apart on you. Most of the reliability issues seem to come from areas other than the drivetrain. The oily bits seem pretty solid most of the time, but it's the other stuff that lets them down; electrics, random rattles, that sort of thing.

E30/E36 3 series: Well built cars that aren't always well maintained by the wannabe social climbers that buy them sometimes. A mate of mine has an '84 E30 and it's still going strong. He says parts aren't too bad, but overseas is generally the way to go for well priced parts. That said, if things go downhill, they really go downhill. (No way in hell you'd be getting an M3; E36s are banned and E30 M3s were only made in LHD, converted ones are nowhere near your budget)

Falcodores: The main reason our stupid P plate vehicle restrictions are the way they are. Not exactly a track weapon out of the box, but for straight line speed you can't beat them. They're about the newest of this lot, and you get a lot of car for the money. Fuel economy is horrible in this company, but they've also got double the peak power of an NA6. Broadly speaking, parts are shit cheap.

I hope you liked my little spiel. My Year 12 English teacher probably wished I would have written this much for an English essay.

Probably the best bit of advice I can give is to buy on condition, not on mileage or mods or anything like that. For example, my Pulsar is still going strong (enough) with 207k on the clock but my mate's mum got rid of her 306 a couple of years ago because it was falling apart, despite the 40k odometer reading.

Stoogey
12-04-12, 08:05 PM
MX5's are gay, dont bother.

clutch-monkey
12-04-12, 08:17 PM
something light/cheap/chuckable-

starlet gt (early ones exempt)? mini? ke55 or ke70 corolla*? mk II golf?

and spend the change on tires, minor mods and plenty of track time..

*may be asking ridiculous prices ever since flat cap wearing drift kid P platers discovered they were rwd

Glocker
12-04-12, 08:22 PM
Where do we start? First thing would be that tracking a car will chew through money, as someone said before. Hell, I've been to Wakefield once and the $600 gearbox rebuild afterwards means I haven't been since (through lack of time as much as money).

Second thing, is your budget just a lump sum that's sitting there, or is it being added to with money you earn from somewhere? If you don't have any income, I wouldn't spend anywhere near the 18k you mentioned. If you do have an income, don't cut too fine on initial purchase price. Shit adds up quick sometimes and money in the bank is always good to have.

Finally, what type of car are you looking at exactly? Your OP says to me that you want something that's small and zippy, rather than a bit of a boat, but I'll throw in some of everything to cover you.

N15 Pulsar VZ-R: the stated budget will cover purchase price with plenty left over, maybe put that towards suspension work, good tyres or even a mechanical LSD. Parts aren't too bad from what I hear, but some VE specific parts can require patience to find and acquire. All things considered, not a slow car but won't be cutting mad quarters.

MX-5: The ubiquitous affordable sports car. NA and NB fall within the budget and are Aus delivered models, so parts shouldn't be too much of an issue. Not powerful by any stretch, but you'll enjoy it much more than the power figure suggests. If practicality is a criteria, that would be one of the few negatives.

DC2R: The P plater special. Quite often seen on the high cam leaving intersections and traffic lights, but if you can find one that's been taken care of, Honda bulletproof-ness should take over and it'll go for a while. Strong aftermarket as well.

Euro hot hatchery (Mk3 VR6, Clio Sport, etc.): Generally nice enough to drive, provided they don't fall apart on you. Most of the reliability issues seem to come from areas other than the drivetrain. The oily bits seem pretty solid most of the time, but it's the other stuff that lets them down; electrics, random rattles, that sort of thing.

E30/E36 3 series: Well built cars that aren't always well maintained by the wannabe social climbers that buy them sometimes. A mate of mine has an '84 E30 and it's still going strong. He says parts aren't too bad, but overseas is generally the way to go for well priced parts. That said, if things go downhill, they really go downhill. (No way in hell you'd be getting an M3; E36s are banned and E30 M3s were only made in LHD, converted ones are nowhere near your budget)

Falcodores: The main reason our stupid P plate vehicle restrictions are the way they are. Not exactly a track weapon out of the box, but for straight line speed you can't beat them. They're about the newest of this lot, and you get a lot of car for the money. Fuel economy is horrible in this company, but they've also got double the peak power of an NA6. Broadly speaking, parts are shit cheap.

I hope you liked my little spiel. My Year 12 English teacher probably wished I would have written this much for an English essay.

Probably the best bit of advice I can give is to buy on condition, not on mileage or mods or anything like that. For example, my Pulsar is still going strong (enough) with 207k on the clock but my mate's mum got rid of her 306 a couple of years ago because it was falling apart, despite the 40k odometer reading.

wtf u write for hot4s or something?

autechlol
12-04-12, 08:55 PM
mint NA8 MX5 - 10k
coils - 1.5k
wheels - 1k
semis - 1k
built motor ~160rwhp - 5k~

= 18.5k

normality
12-04-12, 09:08 PM
N/A S13. Makes reasonable power, and with a pair of grippy tyres, can perform very nicely. Cheap parts too.

91led
12-04-12, 09:24 PM
wtf u write for hot4s or something?

Nope. Just an engineering student who can string some words together.

zahmad
12-04-12, 09:31 PM
Nope. Just an engineering student who can string some words together.

Amen fellow engineer!

schoona
13-04-12, 12:13 AM
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f23/maltesers-1995-vr6-sale-not-running-70088-new-post.html

Pretty good quality car, source replacement standard motor and bolt charger back on. Win!

JDM-20L
13-04-12, 11:07 AM

In all seriousness.. 944?

I really need to stay the fuck off rennlist and stop reading about these por-vettes :lol:

clutch-monkey
13-04-12, 11:09 AM
In all seriousness.. 944?

I really need to stay the fuck off rennlist and stop reading about these por-vettes :lol:

buy 944 with blown engine, insert SR20
fuck with everyone!

JDM-20L
13-04-12, 12:36 PM
buy 944 with blown engine, insert SR20
fuck with everyone!

:lol:

Reality is but the time your done doing any of this properly your close to 911 money surely?

clutch-monkey
13-04-12, 02:52 PM
'properly' :lol:
944/924 for under 8k, shove SR20 and gearbox in, butcher wiring loom to suit, come at me purists

ttshark
13-04-12, 03:03 PM
even a 1.6L satria with good coilovers is more than sufficient. I ran the R-Sport Proton Satria at wakefield last week. It has rally bred suspension (originally the R-Sport ARC rally car), full roll cage, stripped interior and extractors, everything else stock (even factory pads).

It was beyond fun. I braked for only 2 corners. Power should be the last consideration with tracking. Get a car that handles well and learn how to drive first.

Fr4n
13-04-12, 03:07 PM
mx5 or its beefier, handsomer and quicker older brother from another mother... s2000

Biggie
13-04-12, 04:24 PM
vrz pulsar.

hazmatt_05
13-04-12, 05:45 PM
Amen fellow engineer!

ENGINEERS FTW!!! ♥

Bronald McDonald
13-04-12, 05:51 PM
vrz pulsar.

This

VZR***

JDM-20L
13-04-12, 06:03 PM
944/924 for under 8k, shove SR20 and gearbox in, butcher wiring loom to suit, come at me purists

True.. This is Australia we can do kebab jobs on anything..

I thought the purist hate them anyways? :lol:

J
13-04-12, 06:05 PM
TDi golf. Do it, cooler, exhaust, boost, etc. It's the only option.

clutch-monkey
13-04-12, 06:05 PM
True.. This is Australia we can do kebab jobs on anything..

I thought the purist hate them anyways? :lol:
true hahaha
i think it would be hilarious drift hack to do.

*bj*
13-04-12, 06:13 PM

O HAI.

There's no such thing as a 944 purist... we'll take any brother we can find.

Not going to lie, I've been looking at LSx's & RBs.

And on topic for the thread: get a 944, they are awesome, fairly quick on the track, and reliable. And it has pop-up headlights. And... it's a Porsche.

clutch-monkey
13-04-12, 06:52 PM
O HAI.

There's no such thing as a 944 purist... we'll take any brother we can find.

Not going to lie, I've been looking at LSx's & RBs.

And on topic for the thread: get a 944, they are awesome, fairly quick on the track, and reliable. And it has pop-up headlights. And... it's a Porsche.
i looked close at Ls1 swap but for 924- wouldn't work boo. kits seem to be only for 944. lucky you ;p haha

maykosilvia
13-04-12, 06:54 PM
thanks 91led for the detailed post, to answer you my i'm saving up for a car now and it won't be for some months til i can afford it but my income is also weekly as i'm an apprentice fitter/machinist so i have money in case things do get expensive quickly.

mint NA8 MX5 - 10k
coils - 1.5k
wheels - 1k
semis - 1k

= 18.5k

This is probably the method i would take on, except with the VZR or even the Proton Satria as some said, but without the built motors unless needed otherwise, but the SR's on the VZR should be fine right?

Fr4n
13-04-12, 06:57 PM
mint NA8 MX5 - 10k
coils - 1.5k
wheels - 1k
semis - 1k

= 18.5k

where on earth do u get nice wheels for 1k? didnt know volk and work emotions were that cheap now

clutch-monkey
13-04-12, 07:06 PM
where on earth do u get nice wheels for 1k?
the internet/forums

JDM-20L
13-04-12, 07:35 PM

Staying slightly on topic.. and por-vettes aside, what kind of lap times (& what track I guess lol) are you seeing with your 944??

I'm serious looking at axing the Soarer to get into a 968.

r34
13-04-12, 08:49 PM
I'm going to throw a euro into the mix and recommend an e85 or even an e86 BMW Z4. You can probably pick up an e85 (03-05) 2.5L or 3.0L for around the 30K and an e86 2.5L (05+) from 35K+. I had the 2.5L whilst I was on my p plates and it was a very fun car with very beautiful lines. I'm going to post more photos of my cars up in the gallery tomorrow when I finally have a full day to detail them. The e85 2.5L and 3.0L is definately p plater friendly (pulled over many times with the same question from the police but a quick check on their end confirmed this). The e86 2.5L i'm pretty sure is also p plater friendly. The e86 3.0L is definately not. Downside is that parts is relatively more expensive and modifications are scarce (have to source from overseas) and also expensive. But even as a stocker, it is a great car.

edit: spelling owns me

clutch-monkey
13-04-12, 09:58 PM
Staying slightly on topic.. and por-vettes aside, what kind of lap times (& what track I guess lol) are you seeing with your 944??

the 968 CS is considered one of the top ten handling and finely balanced n/a sportscars! i looked at one for awhile, but; i dunnoif it's different mods, but 944's always seem to be in lower classes than the 911's, presumably running slower lap times (until you get discrepancies in driver skill naturally)

*bj*
13-04-12, 11:37 PM

968 is such good value at the moment!

My PB is 1.14.1 at Wakefield - car has at least a second more in it.

2 minutes flat at EC with traffic - has heaps more in it here.

There's a pretty significant difference between my car and a 968 though... there's a 968 with the club that did a 1.49 at the last EC day.

If you want to go REALLY fast, turbo the 968 engine. My mechanic did a 1:42 at EC in his daily, a 3L 944 Turbo last time we were out there... I think he was on slicks though.

autechlol
14-04-12, 01:10 AM
Fr4n - the internet.

maykosilvia
14-04-12, 01:04 PM
What's the go with Pulsar VZ-R's and what parts do they share with the normal (SSS) pulsar's. I understand certain parts will be required for VE head but what about suspenstion, drivetrain and such, can that gear be shared with the other models?

Domma
14-04-12, 01:55 PM

Then u want AW11!!! I have not seen it mentioned, there going for a good price.. Mines still n/a, such a blast!!

Dylaan
14-04-12, 02:20 PM
Most parts on the VZR are the same as a SSS Pulsar, they just have less doors, different grill, passenger airbag, rear lights, etc. The suspension and exhaust are the same, drivetrain I think is the same also. One of my friends is considering selling his (White, good condition, low kms, BC coilovers, Bride seats, Buddyclub wheels) I think he only wants around 10k for it. They aren't particularly fast but they rev hard so they are a bit of fun.

Another car not mentioned here is the Honda Prelude, I've owned 2 of them and they handle very well (especially with 4 wheel steering), they have a fair bit more torque than a Pulsar or similar cars because they can come with a H22A engine which is very good.

hazmatt_05
14-04-12, 07:16 PM
Then u want AW11!!! I have not seen it mentioned, there going for a good price.. Mines still n/a, such a blast!!

Also a good excuse not to pool your mates everywhere :D

Chernoby1
15-04-12, 01:46 AM
Most parts on the VZR are the same as a SSS Pulsar,
Except for like, you know the engine. Id say theyre comparable to ef9 civic's, lots of potential.

And seriously, the list of cars that fit this category is quite high. My only suggestion is buying a car that is less than 10 years old. No, they arent any better than the old cars and how the car has been maintained does play a large part... BUT, owning 20+ year old cars can become a hassle. Little shit starts pilling up and in general the car requires you to atleast look over it every week or so.... not sure if you an be bothered.

In the category for newish and cheap / grippy... dont see how you can go past a RenaultSport clio/megan. They dont hold their value well at all so you can get them for quite cheap.Only issue is (as someone mentioned) things start breaking. they arent vital to the cars operation but its just fucking annoying when buttons stop working an a worn engine mount leads to some knocking sounds coming from the engine bay when you turn hard.

Fr4n
15-04-12, 03:33 PM
Fr4n - the internet.
Please link me a site where I can get brand new volk wheels for 1k. Much appreciated

fillit
15-04-12, 04:02 PM
Please link me a site where I can get brand new volk wheels for 1k. Much appreciated

he means 2nd hand, there are plenty, look on yahoo japan auctions

alex90
15-04-12, 04:05 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the corolla spOrtivo?

141kw
1.8 Vvti
Close ratio 6 speed LSD box
4 doors
Boot
Aftermarket support
No stupid Honda vtec stigma attached to it.

Just as fast as a type r

Good on fuel and it's a Toyota. You can pick up clean examples these days for 12 to 15k.

Fr4n
15-04-12, 04:15 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the corolla spOrtivo?

141kw
1.8 Vvti
Close ratio 6 speed LSD box
4 doors
Boot
Aftermarket support
No stupid Honda vtec stigma attached to it.

Just as fast as a type r

Good on fuel and it's a Toyota. You can pick up clean examples these days for 12 to 15k.

exactly. its NOT atype r, it DOESNT have vtec stigma attached to it instead it has COROLLA even if it s was as fast as a type r i dont wanna believe it cos its a fukn COROLLA.. it doesnt have the rep of supra, celica, starlet or even an ae86. those were nice cars.

alex90
15-04-12, 04:37 PM
Righto champ, all I was doing was offering my advice,

What's your "O so bad" corolla stigma? I'd hate to own a car that is reliable good on fuel quick cheap to insure and doesn't get harassed by cops. What a terrible car that would be to own

maykosilvia
15-04-12, 05:06 PM
My older brother had a sportivo so I already know what their about and I'd want something different too!

91led
15-04-12, 05:07 PM
exactly. its NOT atype r, it DOESNT have vtec stigma attached to it instead it has COROLLA even if it s was as fast as a type r i dont wanna believe it cos its a fukn COROLLA.. it doesnt have the rep of supra, celica, starlet or even an ae86. those were nice cars.

God, you're a fuckwit. You must have missed the fact that Corolla Sportivos have the same running gear as a ZZT231 Celica. Pretty much the whole point of having one would be to avoid the stigma.

And all this coming from someone with an EK1. Pipe down until you learn some grammar.

fillit
15-04-12, 07:47 PM
sportivos are a very nice car, they are pretty quick (not as fast as a type R) and the torsion bar rear suspension is a real letdown, but for the maximum amount of fun and the maximum amount of practicality, it's hard to think of much else around that price range.

Fr4n
15-04-12, 08:18 PM
God, you're a fuckwit. You must have missed the fact that Corolla Sportivos have the same running gear as a ZZT231 Celica. Pretty much the whole point of having one would be to avoid the stigma.

And all this coming from someone with an EK1. Pipe down until you learn some grammar.
Stigma is good. Don't like corollas image I'm a status whore; and what?

Chernoby1
15-04-12, 09:50 PM
Was the corolla ever sold in japan with the 2zz? Pretty sure it wasnt and is probably the reason it didnt get popular over there and 'get' a stigma.

Nelson92
15-04-12, 09:53 PM
Was the corolla ever sold in japan with the 2zz? Pretty sure it wasnt and is probably the reason it didnt get popular over there and 'get' a stigma.

i think it was sold as the Toyota RunX

maykosilvia
15-04-12, 09:55 PM
How do Mazda 3 SP23/25's go for grip, anyone heard or tried anything with them.. im sure they would be great as a daily

maykosilvia
15-04-12, 10:00 PM
Btw corolla sportivo's are tending to get a bit of a rep lately.. with more and more singing their Lift valves off as people exit intersections and such

Fr4n
16-04-12, 02:31 AM
How do Mazda 3 SP23/25's go for grip, anyone heard or tried anything with them.. im sure they would be great as a daily

i heard theyre pretty decent cars in manual. dont have the "stigma" that corollas have

bluesprinter
16-04-12, 12:26 PM
So what was the purpose of this thread? All na cars have grip because they don't have turbo..

Glocker
16-04-12, 12:40 PM
Buy whatever N/A car, stick wide wheels with semi slicks on it = grippy N/A car

Rolla_Kid
16-04-12, 01:18 PM
AExx 4AGE corolla. Bang for buck.

high revving n/a 1.6, IRS, light, decent amount of aftermarket support... for the money there arent many cars that can keep up around corners

jeffreymui
16-04-12, 01:38 PM
sportivo doesnt have lsd

Chernoby1
16-04-12, 02:11 PM
i think it was sold as the Toyota RunX

thought they had it only in the wagon though? The only real problem with most of the new hot hatches is their size; Theyre all bloody huge!

Suprised no-ones mentioned an MR-S(or that i didnt see it). I had plenty of fun driving one, but it was manual so might be out of reach for most people.

fillit
16-04-12, 02:21 PM
sportivo doesnt have lsd

I believe it can be optioned

Lsong
16-04-12, 05:45 PM

high revving n/a 1.6, IRS, light, decent amount of aftermarket support... for the money there arent many cars that can keep up around corners

What about AW11 4AGE MR2?

Rolla_Kid
16-04-12, 06:38 PM
AW11's cost double the amount you can get a decent AE82 or AE92 for, which is less bang for buck plus they weigh a touch more. Great cars though!

MR-S's are okay cars, if you throw the boat anchor of a motor the 1ZZ out and place the 2ZZ in its place it is an awesome car! lotus elise for a much cheaper price ;)

fillit
16-04-12, 07:47 PM
there's a sportivo on firesport for 8k!!!

yeah
ae82s and 92s are heaps of fun, they put in some damn good times on the track as well

DW CUZ
16-04-12, 08:14 PM
AW11's cost double the amount you can get a decent AE82 or AE92 for, which is less bang for buck plus they weigh a touch more. Great cars though!

MR-S's are okay cars, if you throw the boat anchor of a motor the 1ZZ out and place the 2ZZ in its place it is an awesome car! lotus elise for a much cheaper price ;)

Or even better that sweet k20 or k24 motor. :)

vtec_vtir
19-04-12, 07:42 PM
I've heard the Renault Clio is one of the best choices. I'd pick the Integra type R or VTIR personally. [or other decent Honda's like civic R or CRX or engine swap Civic] The Clio Sport are often quite cheap though, great bang for buck. Otherwise I'd suggest a MX-5/RX7/RX8 [RWD]

vtec_vtir
19-04-12, 11:00 PM
Also, I've heard Mitsubishi FTO has some potential.

Lsong
21-04-12, 04:48 AM

Here in the states, it's a different story.
Very much so.

20v swapped (plus other goodies) MR2...$1500

plohl
21-04-12, 12:14 PM
You'll need more than 5k to get 160 hp out of a BP power mx5, unless you went turbo.

Just buy a shit box car that is cheap - drive the hell out of it - get better at driving the hell out of it - save as much coin as you can for something you really want once you get off your p's.

An mx5 would be a good choice as parts are plenty and there is heaps of how to's on the interwebz.

You'll have a hard time finding a nice NA8 that is cheap, so maybe get an NA6 with a long nose/big nose crank - and seriously, just learn to drive it fast. Some minor suspension mods, brake pad upgrade and maybe the diff upgrade would be all you need to have some fun and seriously learn how to drive at your limits (at the track of course).

Good luck!

Outsider
21-04-12, 01:24 PM
Honda Beat...
RWD, Light, Convertible and 1.3l Rear Engine

Only problem with this car is finding one :S
I've only seen one for sale in Aus a couple months back

Gil
21-04-12, 02:33 PM
I've heard they're slow as hell but.

One of the forum members drove one and hated how slow it was.

Not to mention the rarity of those things.

Chernoby1
21-04-12, 06:48 PM
Honda Beat...
RWD, Light, Convertible and 1.3l Rear Engine

Only problem with this car is finding one :S
I've only seen one for sale in Aus a couple months back

No 1.3L engine. Its a NA 660CC that has very little torque. With a B16 wedged in the back the thing is fucking nuts, but otherwise... Stick to the turbo kei cars.

I've heard they're slow as hell but.

One of the forum members drove one and hated how slow it was.

Not to mention the rarity of those things.

yep, can confirm theyre slow as squat. Not as slow as a Mightyboy, but still, not far off lol.
And they arent THAT rare either. Just like the cappo its quite popular in japan, so parts are plentiful... In japan. Sure its a hassle importing everything (and it does add extra cost) but you get used to it :P

ONE upside to the beat is that its usually 1/2 the price of a cappuccino ;)

stiff2170
22-04-12, 03:26 AM
Toyota sprinter ae86 with 20v !

autechlol
22-04-12, 03:37 AM
You'll need more than 5k to get 160 hp out of a BP power mx5, unless you went turbo.

subjective but quite possibly true. Not sure what workshops charge these days.

ill just leave this here for the OP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2MTdigVyt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsI4K_0NT_s

maykosilvia
22-04-12, 04:47 AM
Those mx5 videos sure are convinikg

plohl
22-04-12, 01:09 PM
subjective but quite possibly true. Not sure what workshops charge these days.

ill just leave this here for the OP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2MTdigVyt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsI4K_0NT_s

Those video's are mad!

I think it is extremely hard to get fujiracing stuff these days. You also have to remember, everything costs much more in AUS labor wise!

Yeah, even if you were to do your own work, it would still be a fair close. I find the funniest thing i find about mx5 owners is they're willing to spend stupid amounts of money on getting more power out of it, but skimp on the tuning :rolleyes:

The head needs to be ported and a valve and cam upgrade (re-grinds) - ~$2k
Ecu - megasquirt ~$800? or something less DIY ~$1500+
Good tune would probably set you back (at least) ~$300 (much more if they have to set up the ecu as well)
Good exhaust system inc headers ~$2k
Bigger injectors would probably help +~$250 for second hand ones - Getting them cleaned and flow tested is $160 ish
Add some ITB's to really get the most out of the cams - $2k plus for an off the shelf jenvey kit. If you where going to the job properly, you'll be looking at an air box and cold air intake - the jenvey ones look too big and are expensive anyway, so that could very well have to be a custom job.

Then you have all this power and probably an open diff - $1500 for 2nd hand torsen diff set up from a later model/turbo mx - or you could get a clutch pack style diff, but they aren't really that cheap either.

A set of enkie rpf1's can be grabbed from the states for a bit over a $1k (some have got them landed cheaper). They aren't the best wheels if you're after 'fitment', but they work well with the mx5.

As we all know, it adds up pretty quickly.

My mate has just had the head work, cams, valves etc all done, plus he has a mazdaspeed ITB kit (ae101 ITB's on mazdaspeed manifold) and the engine build who has a lot of experience with the mazda/ford engines said it might make 160HP atw with a good exhaust system and CAI. We'll be putting it all back together this week - so i might update the thread once he gets it tuned. Tuning will be costing him $100/hr.

I have a ~130Hp atw - BP (1.8L), tighe cams and a haltec e6x (super outdated) ecu with a good tune - the car goes hard enough for the time being. The torsen diff with 4.3 final drive really works well. I have driven one with a 4.9 or 5.1 - it was awesome but wouldn't be the best for daily duties.

As is said, i think just getting the car and learning to push it too its limits in stock form is a great idea whilst you're on your p's. Spend less money on mods and more on track time and maintenance - and all important tyres!

Gil
22-04-12, 02:35 PM
Are Jenvey's any good? Their mm's seem to be smaller than others I've seen around.

yep, can confirm theyre slow as squat. Not as slow as a Mightyboy, but still, not far off lol.
And they arent THAT rare either. Just like the cappo its quite popular in japan, so parts are plentiful... In japan. Sure its a hassle importing everything (and it does add extra cost) but you get used to it :P

ONE upside to the beat is that its usually 1/2 the price of a cappuccino ;)

Well yeah, that's the thing. Sure there's lots in Japan, but the rest is all importing.

But I'd rather a Cappuccino over a Beat anyday :) FR> Everything else.

NAS2000
22-04-12, 03:47 PM
I'd have to agree with Gil. The Cappuccino's are in every way, better than the Beat.

But the Cappuccino seems a little to small/dangerous if you're looking at tracking it. High speed + corner = yucky cappuccino.

The MX5 is a good first car. If you're not willing to spend the money on making it alot faster and more rigid, I'd look at getting a different car in general. Plohl just estimated the engine/mechanical bits. You'll be looking at bigger brakes, coilovers, wider wheels, tyres, braces, labour costs and loads of small/assorted MX5 goodies.

If you don't mind keeping an MX5 for a while, I'd say get one, learn to drive it, put all the supporting mods first, i.e. suspension, brakes, braces, I/H/E. Then look at going turbocharged/supercharged once you get off your P's. The ITB route is expensive and has its own appeals, but you won't gain as much power as the other guys running a turbo.

But for an All Motor build, I'd go for a DC2R.

plohl
23-04-12, 02:52 AM
Are Jenvey's any good? Their mm's seem to be smaller than others I've seen around.

From what i have heard they are a quality unit. I know jenvey have been making ITB's for ages now and there new kit for the 5 looks pretty good. I wouldn't too concerned with the throat diameter/butterfly as (from what i have heard) the head will limit the flow before the itb's will. You'll also have "more control" with a smaller diameter runners at low throttle positions.

autechlol
23-04-12, 11:22 AM
It's hard to beat a dc2r in the NA 4cyl category, but i don't like fwd.

CaptainColen
23-04-12, 11:29 AM
GTI-6 Is an absolutely brilliant car on less then perfect (even by sydney standards) windy roads.

HKS200
23-04-12, 01:12 PM
altezza if you can find one but i'm biased haha

clutch-monkey
23-04-12, 07:45 PM
From what i have heard they are a quality unit. I know jenvey have been making ITB's for ages now and there new kit for the 5 looks pretty good. I wouldn't too concerned with the throat diameter/butterfly as (from what i have heard) the head will limit the flow before the itb's will. You'll also have "more control" with a smaller diameter runners at low throttle positions.
+1
their ITB units for 911's are pretty highly regarded for street/mild race applications

plohl
23-04-12, 10:16 PM
GTI-6 Is an absolutely brilliant car on less then perfect (even by sydney standards) windy roads.

I have a mate building one of these up for tarmac rally - being french, everything works brilliantly - when it is working. From what he has been saying they're a bit of bitch to work on.

+1
their ITB units for 911's are pretty highly regarded for street/mild race applications

Yeah, i have thought about getting some for the 5 a few times, but as i have posted, much cheaper to just put a turbo on it.

CYBORG-X
29-04-12, 11:19 PM
proton satria?? suzuki cultus AWD?? 1MZFE MR2??

Ogier
30-04-12, 01:05 AM
How often would this go to the track? Once or twice a year, or every chance you get? Any preference for FF / FR /RR or AWD?

You asked about handling and I've recently heard good things about EG Civics. I'm no Honda fan boy, but have experienced a '89 4WS Prelude and it was a blast.
The Civic you could learn with and if you crash it, hopefully not much of a loss. If you like it, then you drop in a hot vtec engine when it's time to go faster.
IMO sounds like some good options on a car like this and the low initial cost hopefully means no burning holes in wallet if the worst was to happen.

But honestly, getting out for track days is all about fun, so it shouldn't matter what car you have.

Have a look at racing classes - I think improved production racing has some interesting stuff - Celica and Integras used to do well. Even Cyborg Mirages are NA and quick.
I drive a AWD Magna and have been procrastinating about a track day for ages. FWD Magnas are fast in a straight line and can handle or be made to handle well. There's a few in club races in Australia and engine transplant from a Mitsu 380 engine can give solid power gains. The Ralliart Magna was supposed to be ~ 180kW I think. I assume engine swap is p-plate legal? Disclaimer if buying a Magna: it isn't JDM, but their sibling is a Diamante in Japan, so get some badges and fake being JDMST :)

Andy93
30-04-12, 02:15 PM
Another vote for the Clio. I've just bought one as my criteria was something that was a suitable daily driver, quite fast and could hold it's own on the occasional trackday. I'm yet to track it but the way it goes down twisty roads is awesome, lift-off oversteer is always fun! Doesn't have the peak power figures of an Integra or Sportivo but has a more useable spread of power in my opinion. Also, averages around 6.5L/100km with spirited driving included.

I got mine for only $6K. They will cost more than a Pulsar/Civic to repair but as has already been said, the mechanicals are fairly tough.

As for the Corolla Sportivo, they are fast but they are so frustrating to drive quickly. Gutless as anything until you hit lift, then before you know it you need to change gear as the powerband is so narrow. Each gearchange leads to dropping out of the powerband again due to the gear ratios. Good fun if you're in the mood to be wringing it's neck all of the time but, in reality, 90% of the time it's a chore on the road.

Fr4n
30-04-12, 02:17 PM
VVTI just kicked in YO

magicmonkeyman
01-05-12, 05:46 AM
A dc5r?

MFN-MAN
01-05-12, 11:57 AM
If it's just an NA car to get you through your P's, I personally wouldn't fuss too much with getting too nice a car out of the box. You'd want something with a little bit of reliability (in that as long as you don't mess with the wiring, it'll start first time 90% of the time) and something forgiving (so that if you bend it a little or punt it into a gutter, it's not too devastating).

This thread has given some great suggestions (old corollas, civics, mirages, older bmw's) and could see myself grabbing one of these if I started all over again. I'd probably add to the list too an n/a S13. My reasons for this is:

-relatively cheap to get into, lots of cheap/attainable spares
-good platform for different types of driving, gives great feedback
-responds well to mods (if you choose to go down this path)

My reason for not going with it include attracting too much attention (people are more aware now of what these cars are as opposed to 10 years ago), and i mean attention from cops, other hoons, thieves.

If i've read between the lines correctly, i believe that you're wanting to learn about car control yes? If so, I wouldn't worry about getting too many mods done. Best tyres you can afford with your budget, upgrade pads and an LSD. If you must lower, get some lower springs and a matched damper. Wouldn't worry too much about coilovers at this stage cos you'll do enough damage with the standard pieces on there. Get some serious seat time and put money towards some advanced driving courses and thats where you'll see your rewards.

130iguy
01-05-12, 05:24 PM
any p-platers in QLD looking for a great car to build. I'll sell you mine. 5k

looks exactly like this (more or less)
http://librapix.com.s3.amazonaws.com/classic-and-vintage-cars.com/1131.jpg

rokutofu
01-05-12, 10:10 PM
I'd suggest what some others have suggested, and it'd be an EG or EK with a B, H or K- swap, coilovers, basic brake upgrades and decent tires. It'll blitz a lot of other similar capacity N/A vehicles on the street AND track.

ivandude
10-05-12, 10:26 PM
NA Supra JZA80... Looks better than all the other mentioned cars so far, and grippy and handling - put some 9.5" rears with 285 rubber and you'll be fine. The best thing about them these days is the price you get for the overall package. For a enthusiast driver you;d best to get a SZ-R manual model (basically a NA with al the extra goodies of the TT model: big brakes, recaro, suspension, 6 spd gearboxes etc). It's fast enough to do a 7 sec 0-100km/h (this is a 1993 N/A car) but its not faster than a new Commodore. It will easily out handle a Commodore and a lot of other cars have tried but always fail to on the twisties (Civic, Pulsar, Swift, BMW, Falcons)

Might weigh 1450kg but the overall package you get, power, high end design inside and out, affordable parts everywhere (so many being wrecked these days for cheap), overall its a driving experience more so than a "NA MX5". You look at a girl/grandma/mum/old business man in a MX5... Do you want to be that too? :P Or would you rather more of a manlier car where people stare because it is a Supra after all... Prices depreciate over time but remember it was like a $70k+ car when it came out and if you find one in decent nick, it'll live forever since they are indestructable in almost all areas. Don't have to worry about engine parts going or headgaskets, bottom ends, top ends, whatever end. It's a 2JZ :P

Sure I'm biased... But they are a great overall package.

I read a lot of people suggesting Civics/Pulsars/similiar small family style cars that can be "worked". Sure, any car can be worked...
But last time I remember a worked Civic actually on the road owned by a P Plater? Never...
& last time I remember a P plater thinking his Civic would outrun me but couldn't keep up with me after 100m? Too often to quote...

autechlol
11-05-12, 01:11 AM
NA Supra JZA80... Looks better than all the other mentioned cars so far, and grippy and handling - put some 9.5" rears with 285 rubber and you'll be fine. The best thing about them these days is the price you get for the overall package. For a enthusiast driver you;d best to get a SZ-R manual model (basically a NA with al the extra goodies of the TT model: big brakes, recaro, suspension, 6 spd gearboxes etc). It's fast enough to do a 7 sec 0-100km/h (this is a 1993 N/A car) but its not faster than a new Commodore. It will easily out handle a Commodore and a lot of other cars have tried but always fail to on the twisties (Civic, Pulsar, Swift, BMW, Falcons)

Might weigh 1450kg but the overall package you get, power, high end design inside and out, affordable parts everywhere (so many being wrecked these days for cheap), overall its a driving experience more so than a "NA MX5". You look at a girl/grandma/mum/old business man in a MX5... Do you want to be that too? :P Or would you rather more of a manlier car where people stare because it is a Supra after all... Prices depreciate over time but remember it was like a $70k+ car when it came out and if you find one in decent nick, it'll live forever since they are indestructable in almost all areas. Don't have to worry about engine parts going or headgaskets, bottom ends, top ends, whatever end. It's a 2JZ :P

Sure I'm biased... But they are a great overall package.

I read a lot of people suggesting Civics/Pulsars/similiar small family style cars that can be "worked". Sure, any car can be worked...
But last time I remember a worked Civic actually on the road owned by a P Plater? Never...
& last time I remember a P plater thinking his Civic would outrun me but couldn't keep up with me after 100m? Too often to quote...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/Oniix21/furious.jpg

That's right, it's all about what you look like in the car, everyone knows that

ivandude
11-05-12, 05:11 AM
Lol & fwiw the just of what i was sayin, price wise they have come down a lot, and they are a class ahead of a few other cars mentioned here (corollas, civics, mirages, bmws).
Not much more than 7k+ vtec civic asking prices (is that even for real, i guess i wont get started lol).

autechlol
11-05-12, 10:37 AM
Lol & fwiw the just of what i was sayin, price wise they have come down a lot, and they are a class ahead of a few other cars mentioned here (corollas, civics, mirages, bmws).
Not much more than 7k+ vtec civic asking prices (is that even for real, i guess i wont get started lol).

Every N/A Supra i have driven was a slug. Don't know there handling capabilities though. And there interior looks so dated these days, it's a pitty, because done right they look pretty tuff.

Fr4n
11-05-12, 10:45 AM
get a caldina bro.

imagine an ep3 maxi cab.

autech: yes it kinda is. one reason i wouldnt jump in any nissan other than a Z or a heavily worked GTR is cos of nissans disgusting lebo ridden image. its not my fault they always drive silvias, but unfortunately they ruined it for me.

autechlol
11-05-12, 02:00 PM
^ Not the Silvias fault, it's your fault for being insecure bro

Fr4n
11-05-12, 03:08 PM
never said it was Silvias fault. and insecurity is the last thing on my mind, I usually piss people off with my ego, so that what you said was a fresh change from the usual "cocky smug prick" comments lol.

D.K.C
11-05-12, 05:57 PM
get a caldina bro.

imagine an ep3 maxi cab.

autech: yes it kinda is. one reason i wouldnt jump in any nissan other than a Z or a heavily worked GTR is cos of nissans disgusting lebo ridden image. its not my fault they always drive silvias, but unfortunately they ruined it for me.

Tell me again how a caldina is p-plate legal?

DW CUZ
12-05-12, 01:05 AM
Every N/A Supra i have driven was a slug. Don't know there handling capabilities though. And there interior looks so dated these days, it's a pitty, because done right they look pretty tuff.

This.... 1450kg and N/A.....toyota should of put it on a diet before removing that twin charger setup.

My first car was a JZA80 supra and i can tell you now im really glad i got to experience my Honda's on my Ps as they have been great to own and regarding N/A's you cant get much better package if you
choose one with a good motor.

Fr4n
12-05-12, 09:40 PM
Tell me again how a caldina is p-plate legal?

Chill; for even I can forget things, at times..

D.K.C
13-05-12, 12:04 AM
Chill; for even I can forget things, at times..

I jumped at the hedonistic surge of power only achieved by using sarcasm on the internet.

maykosilvia
24-06-12, 09:55 PM
might as well start this up again with this, "will the Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ be P plate legal?"

(Locky)
24-06-12, 10:05 PM
of course
150kw at motor 100ish at wheels
why wouldnt it

I bet half have been bought for spoilt p platers

autechlol
24-06-12, 11:21 PM
^ or P platers that work hard

maykosilvia
24-06-12, 11:27 PM
Well this is how it is for me, save up for rest of the year and buy the DC2 outright or still save til the end of the year and loan the rest then for an 86/BRZ I'm just worried about power to weight ratio rules

(Locky)
24-06-12, 11:28 PM
sorry ...
P platers with there first personal loan

G54B
24-06-12, 11:51 PM
Got mates in their late teens/early 20's with pretty much exactly the same background as me (farmers/tradies/labourers kids) who could go out tomorrow and buy a fully optioned 86 GTS out of their own pockets. They work in the mines on an average of 140k a year though, so slightly different to Akhmal from Sydney saving every spare cent of his pizza delivery money to buy a secondhand set of Rotas.
CSB aside, it is possible for a young bloke to have nice things without having rich parents/getting a loan/selling drugs.

Fr4n
25-06-12, 10:49 AM
Well this is how it is for me, save up for rest of the year and buy the DC2 outright or still save til the end of the year and loan the rest then for an 86/BRZ I'm just worried about power to weight ratio rules

As long as its not listed on the rta site as a non p player car your fine

evoiii
25-06-12, 11:35 AM
Got mates in their late teens/early 20's with pretty much exactly the same background as me (farmers/tradies/labourers kids) who could go out tomorrow and buy a fully optioned 86 GTS out of their own pockets. They work in the mines on an average of 140k a year though, so slightly different to Akhmal from Sydney saving every spare cent of his pizza delivery money to buy a secondhand set of Rotas.
CSB aside, it is possible for a young bloke to have nice things without having rich parents/getting a loan/selling drugs.

work hard play hard !! plus its good to know some one who works for toyota ;) cant wait to get my hands on one of them 86's

wiltoi
25-06-12, 12:06 PM
ae86 .

autechlol
25-06-12, 02:39 PM
shits me how of a p player has a nice car everyone assumes rich parents, this is not the case for many people including a lot of my friends

91led
25-06-12, 04:21 PM

You're in NSW and the cars you listed there are all atmo 4 bangers. Can't see why there would be a problem with vehicle restrictions.

RB_LOVE
25-06-12, 05:39 PM

Here in the states, it's a different story.
Very much so.

20v swapped (plus other goodies) MR2...$1500

proton satria?? suzuki cultus AWD?? 1MZFE MR2??

What about AW11 4AGE MR2?

A few good men have shined some light. MR2 of any generation with a decent powered N/A engine should be plenty of grippy fun!!

domlebo70
29-08-12, 10:10 PM
First post yay!

I vote for Clio 182/172. They have plenty of power for a P-Plater and great neutral to playful handling. Mine is a 2004 model and with a few choice mods (sway bars, camber, semi's, pads) is running high 1:01's at QR Sprint and 1:03 at Lakeside. That is pretty solid for a car from 2004-2006 with 160hp at the wheels and P-Plate friendly. They are very solid mechanically, though as said above, they are mate from spit and chewing gum. They rattle like buggery and it will drive you insane unless you can come to terms with it.

I can't think of much that can match it pace wise, for the same price, that is as new. Which might make the difference for some people.

declanbehan
30-08-12, 11:58 AM

this is brilliant, do your mates by any chance work at Caida?!

declanbehan
30-08-12, 12:09 PM

Or an EP91 Starlet :lol:
55KW / 112Nm from the 1.3L
Insane fuel economy
Pretty nippy in 1st, 2nd, 3rd but at all costs avoid hills of any sort
Weighs only 835kg!!!
(not srs guys)

5TI
30-08-12, 05:41 PM
of course
150kw at motor 100ish at wheels
why wouldnt it

I bet half have been bought for spoilt p platers

AGREE!! boring...seeing more of these on the roads than I do s15s these days..now thats saying something..

5TI
30-08-12, 05:43 PM
sorry ...
P platers with there first personal loan

i dont see the problem with a loan, if you can afford it, if you can justify the interest paid on it then fk it why not?

You only live once right, go all out while you can just dont be silly

CallMeKay
30-08-12, 07:16 PM
yolo

omgwtfbbqsauce
31-08-12, 09:24 AM
mx5, mr2 and ae86 are amazingly fun cars to drive

Fr4n
31-08-12, 10:32 AM
i dont see the problem with a loan, if you can afford it, if you can justify the interest paid on it then fk it why not?

You only live once right, go all out while you can just dont be silly

true but if your 25 sittin on 25 mil you dont need a loan so yolo

schoona
31-08-12, 03:51 PM
Lol

I do play that song for amusement though. And nice baseline haha

maykosilvia
24-02-13, 07:22 PM
I made this topic almost a year ago, but I finally bought the car I wanted. Honda Integra DC2 Type R :)

atennisplayah
25-02-13, 01:23 PM
Peugeot 205 gti

EvoX
25-02-13, 02:23 PM
Try the AE111's. Cheap and the handling is superb. It doesn't look that bad either.

bluesprinter
25-02-13, 02:57 PM
I made this topic almost a year ago, but I finally bought the car I wanted. Honda Integra DC2 Type R :)

So if you knew what car you always wanted, why did you start this thread in the first place?

just sayin.

maykosilvia
25-02-13, 06:44 PM
So if you knew what car you always wanted, why did you start this thread in the first place?

just sayin.

But I didn't know what car I wanted. Turns out the Integra was best for me init?

ivandude
25-03-13, 05:45 PM
+1 on AE111 and AE101.

The amount of Civic's/Integra's left behind and out cornered so easily... :O All done with a stock 20V engine & handling/drivetrain upgrades taken care of from factory ... Go crazy modding it and get yourself up to 131kw/atw out of the N/A... that's what a 3L 2JZ-GE puts down at the wheels in stock form. Edit: like this one for some good ideas on doing it right http://www.performancecar.co.nz/articles/1998-toyota-levin-bz-r-what-lies-beneath-157

Mokey Nagata
26-03-13, 10:07 PM
classic Mini with some mods on. Literally just 13x7 Minilites or Superlights, 1" lower and an exhaust and you will feel like the fastest thing on the road.

Powerbite
26-03-13, 11:21 PM
Well, here is some cars I can give opinions because iv owned/driven them

AE86
+ Fun, so very fun
+ Cheap to make grip really well (Or slide if thats your thing like 90% of other P platers)
- Normally rusted out now a days/Hard to find a decent one
- People want an arm and a leg for parts

Mx5
+ Handle amazing
+ Easy to drive, park, maintain just an all round good car
- Look like you cut hair for a living
- wont get points on the internet without Rotas

DC2R
+ Vtec kicking in
+ Dont need to change or modify anything from stock
+ If you write it off someone with an EG will buy your Recaros for $1k
- Still rather expensive, holding value well

Now id like to mention another car within OPs budget range
RX8s have dropped heaps in value and you can pick up a nice one for less than 20K

RX8
+ Almost same/very similar chassis/suspension as the series 6-8 RX7
+ Fairly new, meaning you get comfort and all the shit you dont really need but is nice to have
+ Smash any of the above at the lights
- Even Mazda who sold the car from new dont know how to fix it and will try to get you to trade it in for a Mazda 3, so you'll have to find a garage that will work on it (Generally not cheap)

Mokey Nagata
27-03-13, 10:19 AM
RX8
+ Almost same/very similar chassis/suspension as the series 6-8 RX7
+ Fairly new, meaning you get comfort and all the shit you dont really need but is nice to have
+ Smash any of the above at the lights
- Even Mazda who sold the car from new dont know how to fix it and will try to get you to trade it in for a Mazda 3, so you'll have to find a garage that will work on it (Generally not cheap)

To be honest I'd stay away from the RX8 just because of the dodgy reliability. If you get a dud it'll cost bucketloads.

However, similar to this, an FC RX7 is within your range and they're generally more reliable. Even an SA22C or FB with an injected 12A will give enough power when behind a manual, and are pretty fun through the corners.

Powerbite
27-03-13, 03:54 PM
To be honest I'd stay away from the RX8 just because of the dodgy reliability. If you get a dud it'll cost bucketloads.

However, similar to this, an FC RX7 is within your range and they're generally more reliable. Even an SA22C or FB with an injected 12A will give enough power when behind a manual, and are pretty fun through the corners.

Even know the Renesis 13B in the RX8 is a bucket of shit compared to the 13B in a series 8 proceeding it I guarantee it will be more reliable than an FC, coming up to almost 30 years old you're bound to run into issues. However i agree I series 1-3 RX7 with a stock 12a will be a bundle of fun and i bet they are about to jump heaps in value over the next couple of years like the R100/RX2/RX3 where as RX8 and Series 4/5 will still drop. If something goes wrong with these aswell they are one of the simplest cars iv ever worked on and parts are still pretty cheap for them.

+1 for SA22C

Mokey Nagata
27-03-13, 10:52 PM
Even know the Renesis 13B in the RX8 is a bucket of shit compared to the 13B in a series 8 proceeding it I guarantee it will be more reliable than an FC, coming up to almost 30 years old you're bound to run into issues. However i agree I series 1-3 RX7 with a stock 12a will be a bundle of fun and i bet they are about to jump heaps in value over the next couple of years like the R100/RX2/RX3 where as RX8 and Series 4/5 will still drop. If something goes wrong with these aswell they are one of the simplest cars iv ever worked on and parts are still pretty cheap for them.

+1 for SA22C

difference with FC is that parts are cheaper and it's more likely to have had a rebuild at some stage.

SA22C, though, is rapidly going through a price inflation. IMO they're going to be the next true classic Rotary.
I'd also bet that the FC will be one some day, so perhaps i should stockpile them soon....

shr3da
27-03-13, 10:59 PM
There all rotaries so the same principles apply, age, kms, turbos and poor maintenance reduce their life, (poor maintenance is a killer tho) just get a compression test before you buy and over service it and you should have some worry free motoring.

purple5ive
24-05-13, 01:44 PM
Toyota MR2s are worth looking into
both the AW11 - closest thing to a gokart, and the SW20 both are cheap now and pretty decent too, RWD, Mid engines etc etc.
cheers

iceey
24-05-13, 06:36 PM
civics

coilovers, lower control arms, sway bars and strutbraces yout should be sweet

Glocker
24-05-13, 06:38 PM
civics

U don't need new lower control arms to go quick. U need a LSD

shr3da
24-05-13, 06:40 PM
And you need a Vagina to drive a civic.

iceey
24-05-13, 06:45 PM
U don't need new lower control arms to go quick. U need a LSD

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q495/xXiceeyXx/samesamebutdifferent.jpg

magicmonkeyman
25-05-13, 05:29 AM
civics

forgot vtec

ChunkyCharcoal
17-06-13, 10:45 PM
Peugeot 205 GTI

ChunkyCharcoal
27-06-13, 01:47 PM
puegot 205 gti

ChunkyCharcoal
27-06-13, 01:49 PM
Wishing. Anything up to about $18,000
With that budget I would be looking at a dc5r integra

schoona
28-06-13, 12:08 AM
And a rubber fist

2JZ-GG
29-06-13, 01:45 AM

You do realise 'stigma' is a bad thing right? If anything the fact it doesn't have the "VTEC stigma" is a good thing. Typical Honda drivers these days are a disgrace to the car scene and bring nothing but negativity and close mindedness with their VTEC syndrome, I stumbled into OzHonda forums and the sheer stupidity and arrogance of the posts I saw was mind numbing.

That's not to say they're all like this, it's a few bad eggs that ruin it for the rest of them.

Back to the original point, stock for stock the Corolla Sportivo isn't faster than a EP3 civic type r or dc2/dc5 Type R, that being said for the love of god please don't have kids.

manyu
31-08-13, 01:53 AM
Congrats OP on the new car, but im surprised no ones suggested a Subaru till now? N/A impreza / liberty with handling mods?

CaptainColen
01-09-13, 10:56 PM
Congrats OP on the new car, but im surprised no ones suggested a Subaru till now? N/A impreza / liberty with handling mods?

Yep I really enjoyed driving an N/a impreza - they can teach you a lot about weight transfer and can be surprisingly fast on a twisty road!

gauci
03-09-13, 12:46 PM
Righto champ, all I was doing was offering my advice,

What's your "O so bad" corolla stigma? I'd hate to own a car that is reliable good on fuel quick cheap to insure and doesn't get harassed by cops. What a terrible car that would be to own aye, my mum has a base model 02 and even it has decent pull and it uses fuck all fuel, anything that is a manual and has a dohc you cant complain about

Mezza
09-09-13, 02:43 AM
S2K is probably the grippiest P plate car. With the right tyres they just stick to the road like a go kart.

MobiTechi
01-12-13, 05:20 PM
Mx5
N14/15
Integras
Golfs

gauci
29-01-14, 11:13 PM
Wtf, no one has mentioned the sw20 mr2, everyone is mentioning the aw11, is sw20 that bad aha, what have j missed here, aw11 are old as now they will be having problems if you start giving them shit on twisties

RO78IN
31-01-14, 11:25 PM
Aw11 being old? No shit. But that doesn't mean their all shit. That's what 'maintenance' is all about. I have an na aw11 with coil vers and the thing is stupid fast up mac pass!

Lekic
09-02-14, 03:07 AM
Look at anything in the FWD arena. The Proton GTIs and Integras are good (having driven both). :)

Gorilla
20-02-14, 04:04 PM
Ive had AW11 and SW20..AW11 FTW!

Funnest car ever!

squashd
20-02-14, 04:32 PM
My dream for a grippy lightweight FF:

Cheap and reliable ae101/102 corolla seca rv, already surprisingly solid, then with the left over money front and rear bracing, stiffer rear swaybar, lower and harder shock/spring setup, polyurethane bushes, good tyres

And eventually put a 4age onto the 7afe block, yum!

BOSSR
18-03-14, 12:38 AM
DC5R please :)