PDA

View Full Version : Hoon Capital

BR14AN
13-07-12, 10:08 AM
Saw this pretty funny/strange video about the hoon capital, Mount Panarama.

Documentary on bogans and hoons.

http://www.smh.com.au/tv/Documentary/Hoon-Capital-4262604.html#ooid=k0OXM4NTovokDjk7mdHFVEpGrOLSzcUY

Drifter995
13-07-12, 07:38 PM
Oh dear god... 1 hour 23 minutes... If I tried to watch that, telstra would call up and throw bricks at my head -.- I really hate having a 3gb limit.

I want to watch D:

EvilElmo
13-07-12, 09:58 PM
So much rose tinted glasses. No fights at Bathurst until the cops turned up? Hahaha. Fuck off. Plus the whole psudo-'science' around the man space. To them, being a man is being a fucking retard. One sided 'doco'.

BR14AN
14-07-12, 12:35 AM
So much rose tinted glasses. No fights at Bathurst until the cops turned up? Hahaha. Fuck off. Plus the whole psudo-'science' around the man space. To them, being a man is being a fucking retard. One sided 'doco'.

agreed, and its not like they used to only hoon once a year at bathurst, they would still be doing it all year round :P its not of great substance but still an interesting watch

declanbehan
18-07-12, 03:57 PM
my town :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It's only really what they could describe as 'hoon capital' around great race time, the rest of the time nothing much happens around the mount apart from shitbox p-plater spec commies [email protected] and light car club events!

Fresh
18-07-12, 07:17 PM
This makes me proud to live in Bathurst :')

Bronald McDonald
18-07-12, 07:22 PM
Should take the VL to its home.

declanbehan
18-07-12, 08:52 PM

Do ittttt!

J
16-08-12, 01:48 AM

What, Lakemba?

G54B
16-08-12, 01:55 AM

Install dose pipe, limiter all the way down conrod.

hazmatt_05
17-09-12, 01:13 PM
What, Lakemba?

Lakemba is full of 17yo with AE92s on chopped springs and Charades with cannons bigger than my head. I don't think I've ever really seen too many VLs around. They're all at Brighton.

Boogs
17-09-12, 01:20 PM
Bathurst is dead except at race time.
Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne would be the top 3 (in no order) being hoon capitals.

aly in underland
17-09-12, 01:40 PM
This is an honest question; please excuse my gaps in Australian motoring knowledge.

But why has the VL become one of the most popular models amongst Holden fans?
I can totally understand the fuss about the GTS Monaro and the A9X Torana, but a mid-80s family saloon?

Sure, they were plentiful, and the SS Group A was a legend in itself - but 25 odd years down the track, I don't quite understand why specifically the VL over, say, the VK or VN...

fuzzy2308
17-09-12, 03:34 PM
fuck those adds are annoying

Boogs
17-09-12, 03:54 PM
This is an honest question; please excuse my gaps in Australian motoring knowledge.

But why has the VL become one of the most popular models amongst Holden fans?
I can totally understand the fuss about the GTS Monaro and the A9X Torana, but a mid-80s family saloon?

Ok reason why the VL became so popular.

By the time it was released in 1986, the Holden 6 was outdated and underpowered. Also it wouldn't pass emissions in the future plus also with the introduction of unleaded petrol on the 1st January 1986, all new cars had to run on this new fuel.
So Holden teamed up with Nissan and got the RB30DE installed, a project that was first discussed back in 1982 ? or 83, when our Aussie dollar was extremely strong. More than what it is now, but by the time the VL was actually on the roads, the dollar had dropped and it turned out more expensive than originally but Holden still took the gamble. Also Back then there was a lot of car sex going on (Mazda/Ford, Toyota/Holden, Nissan/Ford, Holden/Nissan etc etc)
plus with the release of the VL Turbo, is what the BA Falcon XR6T is of 2002.
Very strong engine, easy to modify and get decent power out of it for cheap.

But the VL had its problems. Cracked cylinder heads were pretty much the major one, which funny enough the same engine, in the R31 Skyline which sold along side the VL Commodore seemed to have escaped the problems.
Plus there was the VL SS Group A, VL Calais Turbo, VL Calais turbo wagon and the V8 Wagon, which in 1988 there was only 50 made. Its the rarest VL made besides the VL Director by HDT where there was only 9 made. And expensive too at close to $60k in 1988 money. My old man was lucky enough to have a VL Director, but unfortunately it was stolen and never seen again, :( Also had a VL Calais Wagon V8 before that. They were pretty much hot cars to get knocked off with the options list from Recaro and Momo.
The Walkinshaw which was originally limited to 500 units. The Walky was a car that Holden needed to build after it's split with Brock.
Basically a parts bin car with a hotted up engine, 500 units were made and they sold out in months. Holden decided to be greedy and do another 250 units, but the VN SS Group A was only about a year or so away from release and the extra 250 made hardly sold. So Holden then had all this stock laying around that no one wanted - as the VN was already released by this time. Holden then stripped the remaining unsold Walkies, and sold them off as Commodore Execitive's with the V8 motor option.

They were popular back then, but now since VL's are worth practically nothing, they are popular to buy and modify again. Well they always have been anyway.

Basically the VL of 1986, is what the BA Falcon was of 2002, and now the FG XR6T/F6 Typhoon is of today. Basically a cult hero car that was always popular with people and never lost its fizz.

Bronald McDonald
17-09-12, 04:51 PM
They do mad brake jobs.

aly in underland
17-09-12, 06:46 PM
Damn, that's a lot of great info!

Puts everything into perspective really well - I just had a look at cars for sale online and noticed people are asking some decent money for clean VL Calais, which makes sense in light of what you wrote.

Thank you =]

soarer
17-09-12, 07:30 PM
Ok reason why the VL became so popular.

By the time it was released in 1986, the Holden 6 was outdated and underpowered. Also it wouldn't pass emissions in the future plus also with the introduction of unleaded petrol on the 1st January 1986, all new cars had to run on this new fuel.
So Holden teamed up with Nissan and got the RB30DE installed, a project that was first discussed back in 1982 ? or 83, when our Aussie dollar was extremely strong. More than what it is now, but by the time the VL was actually on the roads, the dollar had dropped and it turned out more expensive than originally but Holden still took the gamble. Also Back then there was a lot of car sex going on (Mazda/Ford, Toyota/Holden, Nissan/Ford, Holden/Nissan etc etc)
plus with the release of the VL Turbo, is what the BA Falcon XR6T is of 2002.
Very strong engine, easy to modify and get decent power out of it for cheap.

But the VL had its problems. Cracked cylinder heads were pretty much the major one, which funny enough the same engine, in the R31 Skyline which sold along side the VL Commodore seemed to have escaped the problems.
Plus there was the VL SS Group A, VL Calais Turbo, VL Calais turbo wagon and the V8 Wagon, which in 1988 there was only 50 made. Its the rarest VL made besides the VL Director by HDT where there was only 9 made. And expensive too at close to $60k in 1988 money. My old man was lucky enough to have a VL Director, but unfortunately it was stolen and never seen again, :( Also had a VL Calais Wagon V8 before that. They were pretty much hot cars to get knocked off with the options list from Recaro and Momo.
The Walkinshaw which was originally limited to 500 units. The Walky was a car that Holden needed to build after it's split with Brock.
Basically a parts bin car with a hotted up engine, 500 units were made and they sold out in months. Holden decided to be greedy and do another 250 units, but the VN SS Group A was only about a year or so away from release and the extra 250 made hardly sold. So Holden then had all this stock laying around that no one wanted - as the VN was already released by this time. Holden then stripped the remaining unsold Walkies, and sold them off as Commodore Execitive's with the V8 motor option.

They were popular back then, but now since VL's are worth practically nothing, they are popular to buy and modify again. Well they always have been anyway.

Basically the VL of 1986, is what the BA Falcon was of 2002, and now the FG XR6T/F6 Typhoon is of today. Basically a cult hero car that was always popular with people and never lost its fizz.

the car sex as you call it was known as the button plan read more herehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button_car_plan

Boogs
17-09-12, 11:05 PM
the car sex as you call it was known as the button plan read more herehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button_car_plan

Pretty much that's it. Still happens to this day as well although that wiki site needs to be updated.

Nissan has ownership with Reanult.
Mitsubishi has ownership now with Citroen and Peugoet.
Proton owns 85% of Lotus, which Toyota supplies engines to Lotus. Its more complicated now than what it used to be.

But getting back to cult cars, that has been happening for many years as well. Manufactures and even dealers get on the act and release special edition cars to clear old stock, although the big supercar scare of 1972 kinda quiet things down a bit as well and that is what killed off the Phase IV Falcon GT-HO in the XA Model. Four was made and produced but never really made full production due to media crying out over the performance of the car.

For anyone who didn't know there was a massive outcry from the Govt's all over the world that the cars of that era were getting too fast and dangerous for our roads and why were they being made. Bear in mind that seatbelts only just became compulsory in Australia in 1971, there was no RBT site, no drug testing sites or any of the technology in the cars we have today. But the headlines read 160MPH Supercars, too fast. Lambo and Ferrari stopped/slowed down production til things picked up again. Holden, Ford and Chrysler was under pressure from the Govt NOT to make these cars as well. The Phase IV Falcon was killed off, Chrysler still made the Charger but watered it down a bit and Holden watered down the Torana SLR5000 too. I think the famous Wheels magazine photo of Uwe Kuessner taking the photo of the Phase 3 GT-HO doing 140mph down the Hume Highway didn't help and the photo in the June 1971 issue was doctored to show 105mph in 3rd gear due to the Govt saying that it was irresponsible act and encouraged hooning.

http://www.falcongt.com.au/ho-dth.jpg

http://v8racecar.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/minister-horrified1.gif
http://media.photobucket.com/image/1972%20supercar%20scare/FLY-AGAIN-XU-1/000_0230-1.jpg

But back to cult cars,
John McLoed was a Ford Dealer in Bankstown in the 1970's and decided to build some of this "McLoed Horn Cars" using run out models of the XB Falcon before the XC came on the market. He dressed them up with fatter wheels, engine mods, sunroof, vinyl roof, full GT interior/dash, and wild colours and stripes. They were pretty popular but trying to find an original one today would be hard.

The famous XC Cobra of 1978 was another one. These were orignally XC Falcons with the 5.8 litre engine and were originally painted blue, but were resprayed white leaving the blue cobra stripes on them. 500 were made and were basically made up with the options spare parts list to dress them up a bit more. This was after the Bathurst 1000 with the 1-2 Moffart finish. Basically it was just Ford trying to get rid of old stock before the XD Falcon arrived in March 1979. No one expected them to be a massive hit like they were and now these cars fetch up to 100k for an original.

Bill Buckle in Brookvale was another dealer that did hotted up Celica's and even turbo charging one as a ploy to get rid of old stock.

There are heaps of examples like this that happened in the late 70's/early 80's, far to many to list here as I'm going way off topic but yeah its something that has been going on for years.

Noteven
17-09-12, 11:24 PM
great writeup/response Matt.

anth
17-09-12, 11:30 PM

IIRC this was due to the lower slanted bonnet of the VL putting the radiator at a lower position in relation to the cylinder head. As opposed to the R31 which had a flatter bonnet, putting the rad higher. Could be wrong though, just going off memory here.

I think the VL's were popular back in the day because they brought turbo technology to the masses in this country, cheap and easy to extract power from, and a way to differentiate yourself from all the V8s. Probably went down well with the younger generation at the time, would have been a great feeling to dust a V8 in your Japanese-powered Commo, making all kinds of sweet noises at the same time. I was in prep when they came out so don't take my word for it lol, just my opinion.

IMO cult cars are either a) hero cars that everyone lusts after but can't afford (GT's, Monaros, A9X, etc) or b) cheap and fast (or just fun) cars that people bought in droves (Swift GTi's, WRXs, Gemini's etc).

Boogs
17-09-12, 11:44 PM
Nah I think you're right mate re: VL/R31.

Yeah they bought turbo technology to the masses for an Australian family car not sold as a limited feature. No other Aussie made car was turbocharged and EFI from factory so it was a new in thing at the time, unless you count the Peter Wherret Mistsubishi Sigma Turbo, but these things were only produced in very small numbers and although did have full Mitsubishi backing, it wasn't on the same scale as the VLT. . Even tho turbo was written over everything in the early 80's, it was a Japanese thing that they were going thru. List all the turbo jap cars from then and the list was massive.

There was a VC Commodore turbo made, but only in a very few select numbers and it was Suttons Holden that was behind it. Changed diff/gearbox ratios for more performance and went alright actually for its time. Again it was just to get rid of old stock before the VH arrived. Garret turbos was also in it as well and supplied the turbos but they were pretty small, only T2/T3 size..
Also there was an XE/XF Falcon turbo as well. Dick Johnson was behind that one and some company in Melbourne built the cars and sold in limited numbers as well, but these weren't factory built cars from Holden or Ford themselves, so the VLT was actually first car made in Australia to become turbo and sold in masses.

Boogs
17-09-12, 11:45 PM
great writeup/response Matt.

Ahh cheers mate :)

declanbehan
17-09-12, 11:49 PM
Saw this pretty funny/strange video about the hoon capital, Mount Panarama.

Documentary on bogans and hoons.

http://www.smh.com.au/tv/Documentary/Hoon-Capital-4262604.html#ooid=k0OXM4NTovokDjk7mdHFVEpGrOLSzcUY

My hometown represent, looking forward to not leaving the house at all during the "great race" week