PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Mazda RX8 (with leather trim)

Andy Wana
27-08-07, 04:37 PM
Hi guys and girls,

Need a favour from the forumites here.
Like the title says, I am looking at getting a Mazda RX8 (with the leather trim) for a second car (in the popular Bleck or the really rare White hopefully)
It'll just be for me and SWMBO most times, and with mum and dad ocassionally (3-4 months a year when they visit me)
Don't think I will have kids soon after the marriage, so the 8 will do me just fine for a while

I'd like to find out how it is like living with it on a day to day basis
The only thing that stood out in my mind is the oil check (and maybe refill) after every 2nd petrol refill
Big boot is overrated as I don't play golf, cricket or do DIY furniture/cabinet making at home
The MX5 has done awfully well shipping my stuffs for almost a year and it has an empty boot 95% of the time
Petrol consumption is not a problem either since I don't drink coffee at all or alcohol (much)

What's a typical service cost? And what should I look for as far as major servicing goes?

If someone's keen on selling, I am just as keen on buying
Red, Yellow, Silver or Blue RX8s need not apply :mrgreen:

Andy Wana
27-08-07, 10:55 PM
Maybe I should try Carsales :)

fun33r
27-08-07, 10:59 PM
agreed.

NO10VE
27-08-07, 11:08 PM
Its actually quite comfortable as a daily, and quite fun to drive too, you also feel prestigious driving it :)

The oil check is a must every so often. Yes it does burn oil and how much depends on how you drive it. Oil isnt cheap too, around $70-80 for mazda rotary oil, safest to use though.
Service is every 10000kms but an oil change every 5000kms is recommended.
Servicing will differ on the dealership minor servicing Ive seen go for around $300-400 and major services Ive seen go to around $800+ these are at mazda dealers mind you.

If you check out the rx8 forums the .com and the .com.au site, they have numerous threads on servicing and probably every other question ou need answered.

Dave R
28-08-07, 12:47 AM
my oldman has a mx5 like yourself (turbo na6) which is completely built for track work..

and has a rx8 as his daily.. is extremely happy with it.. has only once considered trading it in and that was for a evo8 MR...

they are awesome fits me and my lil brother in there perfectly so even if u have kids ull be fine...

good luck with the car hunting :)

Andy Wana
28-08-07, 08:11 AM
Its actually quite comfortable as a daily, and quite fun to drive too, you also feel prestigious driving it :)

The oil check is a must every so often. Yes it does burn oil and how much depends on how you drive it. Oil isnt cheap too, around $70-80 for mazda rotary oil, safest to use though.
Service is every 10000kms but an oil change every 5000kms is recommended.
Servicing will differ on the dealership minor servicing Ive seen go for around $300-400 and major services Ive seen go to around $800+ these are at mazda dealers mind you.

If you check out the rx8 forums the .com and the .com.au site, they have numerous threads on servicing and probably every other question ou need answered.

Thanks, man. Those are very useful info for me.
I will check out the forums that you mention too.
It's good to hear it from a previous RX8 owner him/herself.

IcemaN
28-08-07, 10:43 AM
my father has one, they go thru oil heaps. being a rotary thought its known they like to drink the oil & fuel.
they a nice car, personaly i wouldnt like to be stuck in traffic in it, as there is a real shortage of torque down low. Then again i dont know how much torque your current mx5 has.
go for a test drive, you will either love it or hate it!

Alfadog
28-08-07, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't get one as a daily. Just doesn't really make any sense. No grunt down low, terrible fuel economy, and too good not to care about in a car park. :/

Andy Wana
28-08-07, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't get one as a daily. Just doesn't really make any sense. No grunt down low, terrible fuel economy, and too good not to care about in a car park. :/

Alfadog, if I were to go with common sense and logic, I would probably end up with an Accord Euro, Mazda 6, Toyota Camry or Subaru Liberty
Each will be a wonderful passenger car to drive and own, but no real uniqueness to it.
Everyone and their mums seem to own one of those these days.
On a typical day, I can see one (or two) every 15 - 30 seconds.
Absolutely nothing wrong with them, on the contrary they are all great passenger cars, but I just want something practical and sporty that also happens to be a bit more rarely seen on the roads.

Feel free to chime in alternative that suits what I am after (see below).
Unique, sporty, 4 adult seats minimum, relatively rare on the roads.

No Evos or WRXs though.

Andy Wana
28-08-07, 01:52 PM
And it has to be either a Rear Wheel Drive or an All Wheel Drive .... :)

KummaZ
06-09-07, 10:46 PM
VW R32 :) If you want unique, sporty and AWD.

RX8's aren't exactly unique anymore, I live in a smallish town and know of at least half a dozen that I see regularly.

See less evo's than RX8's..