PDA

View Full Version : Thread repair compounds.

Delphia
03-09-07, 10:43 PM
Has anybody used a thread repair compound to repair a damaged thread on your car before?

Sometime during my b16 swap my flatmate or myself (we cant remember who) reinstalled the sump plug and damaged the thread on the sump. now i bought a pack of thread repair compound and I was wondering if i should take the sump off to use it.

Id rather not because its alot of work. but if this compound sets hard enough to form a new thread it should certainly set hard enough to possibly do damage to my engine if too much gets into the sump.

what do you guys think?

Hens
03-09-07, 11:09 PM
better to take it off and clean it up before using thread repair kits.
the oil still sitting in there wont help at all.

so i think you are best off replacing the sump if its feasible

while you're at it maybe drop in a sump baffle as well :)

Delphia
04-09-07, 12:15 PM
I was gonna give the thread a good wipe with acetone first.

totti
04-09-07, 10:27 PM
have u looked into helicoil kits?

Nismodified
04-09-07, 11:15 PM
i would also prefer to use a Re-coil / helicoil (different brands, both readily availble) kit insert kit, and possibly a thread sealant (loctite) too depending on how paranoid i felt.

Delphia
04-09-07, 11:25 PM
Well I opened the packaging for the thread repair compound and the more complete instructions in the pack said "if its a through thread cap the back of it so the compound doesn't enter the item" or words to that effect.

So since the sump had to come off anyways, im taking it to an engine reconditioners tomorrow for a Helicoil.

Hens
04-09-07, 11:52 PM
instead of loctite use thread tape on the half of the thread.
this will solve any future leaking even if its a drop a day.

Nismodified
05-09-07, 12:10 AM
thread tape/teflon tape is horrible stuff, hence why its so cheap

there are specialty pneumatic/hydraulic thread sealants, 566,567.

Also, id only be using the thread lock onto the coil insert itself, not the sump plug. in which case, id just use something like 268 high strength stick.like.fuck stuff.

Hens
05-09-07, 12:22 AM
Unless you have severe problems in tightening a sump plug due to previus mishap or overtightening i dont see a point in being fancy here.
People have been using thread tape for decades.
If you wrap it properly and not flood the whole thread with the tape, (just wrap half) it will not get into the oil system.

Ive use it on tranny plugs, oil/water sender fittings and what have you. Zero leaking problems.

When i can be bothered i use Permatex thread sealant compound. Made in USA.
does the same job but abit more messier.

Nismodified
05-09-07, 12:47 AM
i did mention that i would not use thread sealant on a sump plug itself, however, read what you like.

And from your last post, it seems like using thread sealant is the, "when i can be bothered" proper method LOL, but if the thread tape works 100% zero leaking problems for you, then i salute you sir.

Nobbsy
05-09-07, 02:59 AM
couldn't you just drill it out, re-tap it and use a bigger sump plug?

Delphia
05-09-07, 02:14 PM
The thread repair compound is getting used tonight.

There isnt enough metal for it to be drilled out and retapped, therefore not enough metal for a helicoil.

the thread repair compound is like a 2 part epoxy which forms a new re-usable thread. you coat the bolt in the release compound, apply the mixed epoxy to what remains of the thread, screw the bolt in. let the mixture set. carfully uncrew it and leave the remainder to fully harden.

We will see how it turns out.

Delphia
07-09-07, 12:46 AM
Its crap. Waste of $20.

Nobbsy
08-09-07, 04:45 AM
take off sump, take it to metal shop, cut out broken thread, get them to weld in a new one, won't be too expensive, cheaper than a new sump anyway

Delphia
08-09-07, 11:18 AM
Thats my job for monday.

Sainz
14-09-07, 09:25 PM
i had leaking sump plug on my work car it slipped when tightening up and then leaked.
bought a new plug fitted it it tighten up and sealed.
my point
the bolt might be striped and softer steel than sump
either way your plug would need replacing
nice sharp threads might by the answer

Nobbsy
15-09-07, 04:24 AM
reinstalled the sump plug and damaged the thread on the sump.

I don't insult delph's intelligence, i'm sure if he could have just chaged the plug he would have