PDA

View Full Version : Anthropological research on JDM culture - opinions wanted!

aly in underland
03-09-12, 11:29 AM
Hi folks,

I am currently an anthropology student at USyd, and as my personal research task I've decided to look at the JDM culture in Sydney and the value systems held by its members. The project is tentatively titled:

Authenticity, Identity and Popular Discourse in Sydney's JDM Culture

Essentially, what I'm trying to find out is along the lines of:
Authenticity - What makes a car JDM? How do people argue about what is "more" or "less" JDM? How is an overseas JDM culture in dialogue with actual Japanese modifying styles? How valued is strict adherence to Japanese parts and styles vs. personal interpretation of Japanese styles using whatever parts available? What gives some modified cars more legitimacy and cultural capital over others?

Identity - What does it mean to its members to be part of "JDM Culture", and how is this articulated and embodied? How do these people see themselves in relation to Sex Spec, V8 Falcodores, track racers, and other automotive cultures? How does one argue against the conflation of "motoring enthusiasts" and "hoons" by the popular media?

Popular Discourse - All the stuff that gets endlessly argued on here. Form vs. function, which is "better"? Should one be excused for running Rotas? Is "hellaflush" worth it?

I'd like to interview those who are established members on here regarding the above points in order to collect material for this research paper. If you are interested, please reply demonstrating your intentions. =]

Cheers!
Aly

hazmatt_05
03-09-12, 11:38 AM
Woot USyd!!! (Sorry I'm of no help~)

Fr4n
03-09-12, 11:55 AM
there is only people, their cars, and the way they prefer to style and mod them. certain kinds of cars and owners seem to have a similar mindset of modifying, but a similarity is all it is, its not a category

no such thing as jdm style category.

aly in underland
03-09-12, 12:12 PM
there is only people, their cars, and the way they prefer to style and mod them. certain kinds of cars and owners seem to have a similar mindset of modifying, but a similarity is all it is, its not a category

no such thing as jdm style category.

Yet, despite you arguing this point (which personally I think is valid) there are many others who see "JDM-ness" as some sort of metric, or see "JDM" as a hegemonic community, who ponder what it means to be truly counted as "JDM". The existence of various threads on what JDM means, what defines it, what are its requirements are a testament to their existence - not that I believe that this justifies the existence of a "JDM style category".

JDM means different things to different people, and I intend to find out the full range of interpretations of this three-letter-acronym. Let me know if you're interested =]

Nathg
03-09-12, 12:22 PM
There have been heaps of threads about what JDM actually means. Normally they are started by kids who are buying their first car and want to be part of a certain scene, or by people who come on here just to take the piss. These threads always end up the same, some people agree, others don't..

NORBY
03-09-12, 12:42 PM
I'm not in Sydney but im happy to discuss.

The JDM 'scene' is interesting in my opinion. Its one of those cultures that have two side.

True JDM - the guys who dont go about telling everyone how JDM they are but drive their cars hard and go out at all hours in small groups. These guys are much more simlar to the real JDM culture in Japan of going out over night and spending their last dollar on mods or fuel.

Scene JDM - The guys who never drive their cars and live to have a photographer take a photo of their car at a meet but never drive it. Spends heaps of money to look the part

When i was in Japan i saw a lot of 'True' JDM and not many Scene but i also didnt know where to look

DakDak
03-09-12, 12:47 PM
True JDM - the guys who dont go about telling everyone how JDM they are but drive their cars hard and go out at all hours in small groups. These guys are much more simlar to the real JDM culture in Japan of going out over night and spending their last dollar on mods or fuel.

This is how it should be.

Fr4n
03-09-12, 12:48 PM
Yet, despite you arguing this point (which personally I think is valid) there are many others who see "JDM-ness" as some sort of metric, or see "JDM" as a hegemonic community, who ponder what it means to be truly counted as "JDM". The existence of various threads on what JDM means, what defines it, what are its requirements are a testament to their existence - not that I believe that this justifies the existence of a "JDM style category".

JDM means different things to different people, and I intend to find out the full range of interpretations of this three-letter-acronym. Let me know if you're interested =]

EG:

guy with an evo 8 mr. has panda styling. even some carbon canards. then goes and puts on 22" Dub Kingster spinners.

what category does that fit in? therefore no category

Glocker
03-09-12, 12:50 PM
Hi folks,

I am currently an anthropology student at USyd, and as my personal research task I've decided to look at the JDM culture in Sydney and the value systems held by its members. The project is tentatively titled:

Authenticity, Identity and Popular Discourse in Sydney's JDM Culture

Essentially, what I'm trying to find out is along the lines of:
Authenticity - What makes a car JDM? How do people argue about what is "more" or "less" JDM? How is an overseas JDM culture in dialogue with actual Japanese modifying styles? How valued is strict adherence to Japanese parts and styles vs. personal interpretation of Japanese styles using whatever parts available? What gives some modified cars more legitimacy and cultural capital over others?

Identity - What does it mean to its members to be part of "JDM Culture", and how is this articulated and embodied? How do these people see themselves in relation to Sex Spec, V8 Falcodores, track racers, and other automotive cultures? How does one argue against the conflation of "motoring enthusiasts" and "hoons" by the popular media?

Popular Discourse - All the stuff that gets endlessly argued on here. Form vs. function, which is "better"? Should one be excused for running Rotas? Is "hellaflush" worth it?

I'd like to interview those who are established members on here regarding the above points in order to collect material for this research paper. If you are interested, please reply demonstrating your intentions. =]

Cheers!
Aly

I'm also very interested in this, but I come from a marketing background where I define 'JDM' as a sub-sub-culture of consumption that has boundaries in how purchase decisions are made and products are used.

As JDM is a subculture based around consumption of certain products I would also look at the norms, values and symbols used by 'JDM' people as well as the language/social aspect of it.

White ep
03-09-12, 12:50 PM
JDM is the Japanese domestic market.

/thread

Sent from my HTC One X

TONTON
03-09-12, 01:21 PM
Wouldnt it be better off asking the Japanese? To find the true jdm culture?

Because right now, you want to ask about the Sydney JDM culture which isnt true JDM since its just copied from Japan.

Glocker
03-09-12, 01:36 PM

Because right now, you want to ask about the Sydney JDM culture which isnt true JDM since its just copied from Japan.

lol if you go to japan and ask about the 'JDM' culture they'd be wtfyoutalkingabout.

JDM culture = wake up at 4am squeeze into superpack trains and commute 3 hours to work slave at desk for 10hours go drinking with office mates for 1 then 3 hours commute back to home sleep repeat.

aly in underland
03-09-12, 01:38 PM

I'm trying to study the Sydney JDM culture specifically - given that it exists in dialogue with what goes on in Japan (and I wouldn't say it's directly "copied", but an interpretation thereof), and what people consider it to be.

Anyways, I'm looking for people who are willing to sit down and talk in some detail about their view on the matter, given that no number of three-llne forum posts will provide enough detailed material for a research paper. Please let me know if you're willing!

Babalouie
03-09-12, 03:03 PM
Interesting project. Happy to lend my (possibly limited) view if you like, Aly.

Fr4n
03-09-12, 03:07 PM
lol if you go to japan and ask about the 'JDM' culture they'd be wtfyoutalkingabout.

JDM culture = wake up at 4am squeeze into superpack trains and commute 3 hours to work slave at desk for 10hours go drinking with office mates for 1 then 3 hours commute back to home sleep repeat.

you forgot a key point. being scrummed onto the train by the transit officers

Prancer
03-09-12, 03:18 PM
Humans like owning rare things so they feel more important to other people.

JDM car parts provides this feeling in Sydney

Fr4n
03-09-12, 03:36 PM

+1

exclusivity by being a part of a minority scene.

justinspiderholden
03-09-12, 04:18 PM

Unless you come from NZ then its just like WTF are you getting so excited over that part for its just a window switch

JDM means so much more in AU than it ever did in NZ

Modified
03-09-12, 04:33 PM
+1

exclusivity by being a part of a minority scene.

Dude, have you been to any of the recent meets - the modified cars I see on the road are leaning more towards jdm rather than the sexspec school of modification.

Fr4n
03-09-12, 04:38 PM
i meant the fact that as popular as this is gonna get, the majority of people who own a car will not be in this scene.

im not comparing the jdm scene to other modified scenes only.

i was adding to anastasios comment, and how being part of a scene, any scene for that matter fortifies what he was talking about..

Prancer
03-09-12, 05:01 PM
i see rich clients daily spend stupid amounts of money on things for their homes/apartments.

EG: Stone imported from italy, when we have basically the same crap here

joinery bought from italy which our joinery can make here for half the price.

its just how humans try to make them selves different so they believe they live a unique life

really at the end of the day we are just animals living due to a lucky mix of elements on earth

another example is diamonds/oil/illest clothes from america

i was chatting to a girl who lives in the OC 15 mins from illest store, she had no idea what the brand was

aly in underland
03-09-12, 05:04 PM
Interesting project. Happy to lend my (possibly limited) view if you like, Aly.

Thank you, glad you can help - will PM you when I have my research questions sorted out!

Bronald McDonald
03-09-12, 06:15 PM
My cars jdm bro - it has a nissan engine.

WAN94N
03-09-12, 07:46 PM
also happy to help the study over a bowl of pho (make it the Tiger Pho ones, theyre alot bigger so the convo can go for longer hahha)

Fr4n
03-09-12, 08:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAWGZNuQS2o

dont know if you seen this already. may or may not help

aly in underland
03-09-12, 09:45 PM
also happy to help the study over a bowl of pho (make it the Tiger Pho ones, theyre alot bigger so the convo can go for longer hahha)

Awesome! Will PM you also once I'm ready =]