PDA

View Full Version : Budget ADSL?

Mike.V?!
24-10-06, 10:57 AM
A colleague of mine is currently getting fisted by his ISP so I told him I'd help him find a new provider, but I'm a cable-boy so I don't know what the market is like. He's on a 512/whatever plan at the moment that's capped at 40gb and is happy with that.

Any suggestions? Positive or negative anecdotes.

raz0r$harP
24-10-06, 11:22 AM
Whirlpool has a plan finder on their website. You can input the particular things you are looking for (ie certain speed, price, quota, etc) and it will list the ones that meet what you're looking for.

Fr3aKi3
24-10-06, 11:57 AM
Stay away from Exetel!!!! I absolutely hate them....

My cousin has an ADSL account with them and the customer service is just a load of crap. He moved houses and obviously notified Exetel of his relocation so that he could get the adsl service moved to his new address. Everytime he called up they transfer him to the sale department and then they hang up. Went on for quite some time, he moved houses and no longer had access to the internet. Called up exetel and their reply was "sorry we can't do that over the phone, you need to send us an email"........

A few weeks after getting the adsl to his new address he ran into another problem, this time round he simply just couldnt connect to the ISP. He called up Tech Support, "sorry you'll have to send us an email". My cousing is still young which is probably why he just accepted that he has to send them an email. If that was me on the phone I would've already gone off my head...

Personally I just think that the service is ridiculous. My cousin called up for tech support due to not being able to connect to the internet YET his isp is telling him to send them an email outlining the details....so how is he meant to send an email when he can't get online? what a freaking joke!!!

From what i've read Internode is a fairly good service, although their packages aren't exactly value for money. I'm looking to change ISP's myself as i'm fed up with Telstra's "unlimited" 10gig plan, I'm most probably going to try my luck with TPG as ADSL2+ is $60 a month with 30gigs of bandwidth (some people say TPG is unreliable) but i'm still unsure.

Does your friend have a budget of how much they're willing to spend?

Edit: Did a quick search and this is what came up,(search was done for syd... lol)

Whirlpool link (http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc-plan.cfm?state=nsw&class=0&type=res&pre=40000&cost=60&speed=512&upspeed=0&ip=1&contract=99&upfront=999999&needhw=no&conntype=1&conntype=4&conntype=5&dd=1&sort=0).

The search criteria was, 512k connection with minimum of 40gigs quota a month and a maximum of a $60 monthly fee, although some plans have an unlimited quota.

I made a few phones calls and my phone exchange doesn't support Internode ADSL2+ but it's fine with TPG ADSL2+.... dodgy internet here i come!!!

Mike.V?!
26-10-06, 12:53 PM
I did check out the whirlpool plan search and it's a nifty tool, however it doesn't tell me what the customer service is like, which after seeing this guy get burned nicely, is now paramount. I appreciate the Exetel story, Fr3aKi3, that's the sort of info I need to base a decision on.

ebcd
26-10-06, 01:04 PM
heard good things about iinet and people telecom for customer service.

but as raz0r$harP said go to Whirlpool and have a look, they have different forum sections for the different ISPs.

should also look at ADSL 2+ plans if you can get it.

Fr3aKi3
27-10-06, 11:38 AM
I did check out the whirlpool plan search and it's a nifty tool, however it doesn't tell me what the customer service is like, which after seeing this guy get burned nicely, is now paramount. I appreciate the Exetel story, Fr3aKi3, that's the sort of info I need to base a decision on.

Not a problem :D

Stay away from iPrimus as well.......
When I first signed up with then it wasn't too bad, didn't have any real complaints. Nearing the end of my contract, everytime I would call up tech support there would ALWAYS be a 30minute wait regardless of what time I called them, be it 1pm or 4am. After that, everytime I call up tech support I would leave the phone on the table and come back 30minutes later and then there would be someone who answered.