PDA

View Full Version : Car modifications in Australia, on street cars.

Veafo.
03-11-12, 09:38 PM
Is there anyway to do it without copping a reaming for it?

Seems like there's more and more stories about defects which are made up on the spot, for things which aren't even illegal. Not to mention the stories of police officers throwing a U-bolt for the sole purpose of giving a car a defect.

I see numerous cars driving around with headlights and taillights out. Some cars even have protruding (or missing) panels. Seems like the only time I hear about defects been given out, it's on cars that have simple modifications.

Am I hearing it incorrectly, or is it truly that difficult to modify a car without being harassed and treated like a criminal? What, if anything, can be done? I want to modify a car to make it as subtle as possible, and also want some ADR approved Velo's, but is it really worth it for something which could get me in trouble anyway?

Wink
03-11-12, 10:17 PM
Is there anyway to do it without copping a reaming for it?

Yes there is, buy a European or classic car and mod that, you'll generally go under the defect police radar.

European cars, doesn't even have to be a expensive model like a Porsche or BMW M3, even something like a Golf GTI or Megane RS wouldn't attract negative attention from the law.
That being said I've heard of a 911GT3-RS being defected for the OEM harness and cage :)

As for classics, pick the right one (240Z, Mustang), and well everyone knows they can get away with nearly anything. Pick the wrong one (RX3, KE20) and you'll get hunted down. :)

aly in underland
03-11-12, 10:39 PM
As for classics, pick the right one (240Z, Mustang), and well everyone knows they can get away with nearly anything.

+1
I have NEVER been pulled over in my ancient taxi (with 100% modified mechanicals) outside RBTs. Even in those times, the police pay no attention to the legality of anything on the car or even ask me to open the bonnet, though this might also have to do with it being kept externally period-correct.

Classics are awesome anyways, and you should get one. If maintained properly they're no less reliable than a modern car!

Otherwise, general ways to avoid being noticed by police:
- Don't put stickers on your car. It immediately rings "hoon" bells in the police's minds.
- Have a sensible exhaust. More noise does NOT equate to more power.
- Don't lower it excessively or focus on getting flush fitment. It may look good, but it's often detrimental to getting the best handling setup anyways. Also, immediate cause for defect.
- No over-the-top bodykits.
- Have four doors. Something like a JZX100 blends into traffic while being lots of fun.
- Pick a sensible colour. Definitely not metallic lime green.

In the end, the point of having a car is to enjoy the drive, and it's very possible to have a car that's properly quick and great fun to drive whilst looking unassuming and not attracting police attention. You could even go all the way and build a sleeper that looks completely factory from the outside yet is thoroughly worked over =]

Good luck!

philz
03-11-12, 11:38 PM
the only way is do it subtly, dont do anything stupid, avoid attention.

If you apply that to the way you drive and the way you modify you'll be okay.

And don't buy a c63, you'll get pulled over for suspicion of being a gang banger (well only applies in sydney)

91led
03-11-12, 11:58 PM
If you go about it sensibly, there's no reason why you should have too much trouble. Choose your mods carefully and you can enjoy it, no doubt.

Wink has a very good point, as it seems that classics and Euros don't cop as much heat, most likely because of the stereotypes that go along with them. Euro = minted white collar type, classic = rose tinted glasses, Jap = hoon (note that I said 'stereotype'; they aren't always true). The issue of choosing a car still there though. As mentioned, choose a car with the wrong reputation and it will cause you issues (I may be guilty of that one myself).

Aly's dot point list is also worth taking notice of. Things that get you instant e-fame points do so because they get you noticed. That applies in the real world too, which includes police. Flouro wheels and a fart cannon does not a stealthy car make.

Philz has summed it up fairly well. My car has a cop magnet reputation (SSS Pulsar uleh) but I'm yet to have an issue with it. Yes, the wheels aren't standard, yes, the ride height is lower and yes, I've had police cars try and get a better look at the car. However, I haven't been pulled over, nor have I been asked any curly questions at an RBT.

Apart from the wheels, all the other visual mods I've got installed or due to be installed are OEM parts, so they fit well and don't stand out as much. If it looks like it's meant to be there, you will probably have less issues than if you're rocking something obviously not standard. I also have a completely standard exhaust, meaning it's quiet, and I generally drive in a way that doesn't attract attention.

It's not hard to have something that looks nice and is enjoyable. You just need to put a little extra thought and planning into it and you'll be fine.

Veafo.
04-11-12, 12:30 AM
"Euro or classic car" isn't something which appeals to me, to be honest.
The only classic car I'd touch would be a Hakosuka, or 240/260Z. Those are a bit pricey for me though. I'm not into the S-chassis, and JDM cars. Finding a way to modify that without getting reamed may just be a bit too tough.

clutch-monkey
04-11-12, 09:23 AM
whiteballz on here had a near stock GTR, never had problems. charcoal grey paint helped, blended in very well in traffic, wasn't too loud etc. wouldn't have been hard to do engine mods and stay under the radar.
i drive around with full rollcage, no interior, no front number plate, tinted headlights etc etc no problem, because euro

insideout
04-11-12, 12:28 PM
Easier solution, get out of the shit fucking city and move to a country town where the cops are alot more easy going and you will get a lot less trouble. Theres even cops in the town I live in who are part of the local car club, you never see car enthusiasts around here pulled over, and thats genuine enthusiasts. I take my FD out, no problems at all, theres even some cars driving around here with blowers out the bonnet and no one bats an eye lid.

We had a huge lap the other week, main street was filled with plenty of nice cars, and lots of old school muscle. For 5 hours everyone was behaved just cruising, and not a cop in sight the whole night!

KevinPham123
04-11-12, 01:09 PM
Easier solution, get out of the shit fucking city and move to a country town where the cops are alot more easy going and you will get a lot less trouble. Theres even cops in the town I live in who are part of the local car club, you never see car enthusiasts around here pulled over, and thats genuine enthusiasts. I take my FD out, no problems at all, theres even some cars driving around here with blowers out the bonnet and no one bats an eye lid.

We had a huge lap the other week, main street was filled with plenty of nice cars, and lots of old school muscle. For 5 hours everyone was behaved just cruising, and not a cop in sight the whole night!

Love it haha

brasher
04-11-12, 03:49 PM
from now on my philosophy is doing things the OEM+ way, for instance, if it was a mod the factory might do as a "special edition" Simple things that make the car individual but don't stand out to the authorities.

and yes, as said above it has a lot to do with the type of car you are driving unfortunately.

2GU UP
04-11-12, 04:03 PM
Sorry I don't buy into this whole shit of modding a car to fly under the radar.
I'd rather build a car the way I want it and get defected everyday than build a car half assed and fly under the radar.

clutch-monkey
04-11-12, 04:11 PM
get defected everyday than build a car half assed and fly under the radar.
yeah because building a car properly means bright candy paint and wheels hanging out the guards, no way anything subtle could be built right

brasher
04-11-12, 04:15 PM
I'd rather build a car the way I want it and get defected everyday than build a car half assed and fly under the radar.

Maybe I'm becoming old and content, it's more the fact I wouldn't want to detract from the original design of the car in the first place. I'm sure airbrushing a tiger on the bonnet seemed like a good idea at the time 10 years ago though lol.

2GU UP
04-11-12, 04:22 PM
Sorry I forgot building a car properly meant driving a glorified Volkswagen Beetle, my apologies.

As long as my car is safe and performs the way I want it to I really couldn't give two fucks about what the police think.
I'll build it the way I want and at least ill be happy with it instead of doing shit opposite to what I want then never being 100% satisfied with the final product.

91led
04-11-12, 04:23 PM

And if that's the way I want my car? I'm not allowed to make a few little tweaks here and there and be happy with what I've got?

2GU UP
04-11-12, 04:27 PM
If you want to build something that's like that lucky you. I wish I had the self control sometimes but I don't so I live with the consequences.
I'm talking about those who want to build something crazy but then buckle and do half the job because they are scared of defects and are never satisfied with the final product.

clutch-monkey
04-11-12, 04:28 PM
Sorry I forgot building a car properly meant driving a glorified Volkswagen Beetle, my apologies.
yeah maybe i should sex spec that shit, build it right

As long as my car is safe and performs the way I want it to I really couldn't give two fucks about what the police think.
yeah. i agree. and some people want subtle.
building a car right doesn't need to be flashy and attention getting.
but hey whatever works in sydney to make it built 'right',
i fully understand wanting to go nuts but more than one way to slice a lemon etc etc

2GU UP
04-11-12, 04:37 PM
No one said anything about building a car right or wrong nor did I say anything about building a car to get attention.

clutch-monkey
04-11-12, 04:43 PM
No one said anything about building a car right or wrong nor did I say anything about building a car to get attention.

other post reads like you were hanging shit on cars built to fly under the radar/sleepers/subtle? i get what you mean with half assed builds but that's not the same as a well built car that doesn't attract cop attention.

2GU UP
04-11-12, 04:50 PM
As I said if the owner is trying to build a sleeper or something subtle that's awesome.
As I said sometimes I wish I had the self control but I just want too much from my cars.
They people I'm referring to are those who want to build something but settle for something else just because of police and defects.

clutch-monkey
04-11-12, 04:52 PM
They people I'm referring to are those who want to build something but settle for something else just because of police and defects.
ah right. didn't get your wording in other post
i don't run front number plate anymore. don't want to hack up CF front bumper to find space to put it or have it blocking oil cooler. same reasons i guess..

SamB87
04-11-12, 05:58 PM
I'm with Anth on this one.

I modify my car the way I want it and if I get done, so be it. Up until then I'll deafen everyone around me with straight pipes, crunch speed humps and scrape paint all I want.

big fat paulie
04-11-12, 06:11 PM
I'm with anth.
But in saying that what I want from this car is a little different.

I have done the low loud big engine in the past. And I know I will do it again.

With this i want to be able to drive to the track. Race/drift all day and the drive to work the next day.

I am just taking a different path with this one. And it just happens to be a little more subtle. Which just means less attention.

Plus the whole budget thing.
Cause I am going to bring this car in under $10k.

MR2
04-11-12, 06:44 PM
Defects carry Demerit points now do they not?

Noteven
04-11-12, 07:06 PM
Fuck the police - nwa
*click repeat*

insideout
04-11-12, 08:20 PM
Defects carry Demerit points now do they not?

I dont know to be honest...if they did, it would only be if your issued an infringement notice for the defect. So basically

You can either get defected, no infringement notice which means no fines. Basically you just get the defect notice and told to fix it by X date.

or

Get defected, get an infringement notice IE get a ticket for your exhaust being to loud, so you have to pay the fine ontop of getting the defect.

To my knowledge they dont carry demerit points, however some laws changed last week so im not to sure.

Veafo.
04-11-12, 09:22 PM
If you want to build something that's like that lucky you. I wish I had the self control sometimes but I don't so I live with the consequences.
I'm talking about those who want to build something crazy but then buckle and do half the job because they are scared of defects and are never satisfied with the final product.

I'd love to build something "flashy", but I'm kind of going through a clean/sleek style. I think clean/sleekly built cars with minimal aesthetic mods (like a front lip or something) look best. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though. :)

I'm with Anth on this one.

I modify my car the way I want it and if I get done, so be it. Up until then I'll deafen everyone around me with straight pipes, crunch speed humps and scrape paint all I want.

I wish I had that attitude, to be honest.
I think I'm mostly concerned about the eye of the public, rather than police attitude. As long as I'm not a tosser to the police officers, I'm sure they won't ream me (right?). It's so easy to call the EPA and go "hey, this car is loud", before going through the requirements to make your car legal, which takes a lot of time and effort in some cases.

I think it's the fact that the public see a modified car, ring the police stating "I've seen a car hooning about the streets!" (stereotyping, even when no speed limits have been broken), only to have the police keep an eye out... that's what annoys me. Car enthusiasts seem to be public enemy number 1.

clutch-monkey
04-11-12, 09:32 PM
As long as I'm not a tosser to the police officers, I'm sure they won't ream me (right?).
most of the time yeah.
but it just takes one powertripping **** lol.

ras
04-11-12, 09:41 PM
best way to stay under the radar is to live in the eastern suburbs like I do. I've got a heavily modified FD RX7 and have NEVER been pulled over in 3 years. Although I do try and avoid the cops like a plague and I know all the backstreets and cop traps so i guess that does help.

SUROK
05-11-12, 09:18 AM
2 pages and no one has mentioned getting your car engineered yet... ffs jdmst .. quit being stupid.

i had a 317kw MR2 and it was totally engineered and i never got stopped by police EVER.
EVER EVER.

but... also have a friend who had an E36 race car that was not engineered... and never got pulled over ever either.. even when driving past the police while speeding and wearing a harness.

aly in underland
05-11-12, 09:40 AM
2 pages and no one has mentioned getting your car engineered yet... ffs jdmst .. quit being stupid.

Two things regarding that:

Having everything fully engineered doesn't prevent cops pulling you over in the first place and treating you like an idiot/criminal and trying to book you with whatever they can find because you drive a modified car.

Having everything fully engineered doesn't stop cops on a power trip ignoring the engineering certificate and giving you a defect notice anyways - plenty of people on here have gotten defected in engineered cars, and then being told by the inspection station that everything on the car is legal and they shouldn't have been defected in the first place.

By all means, do get your car engineered - it's the right thing to do and it'll save you a lot of hassle, but it's not a panacea for cops being stupid.

SUROK
05-11-12, 09:47 AM
OK...

1. no stickers.
2. quiet exhaust.
3. stock exterior save for some wheels that are not poking out of the guards.
4.fully engineered.
5.dont drive like a faggot
6. car in a good condition

:) i never had a problem.

clutch-monkey
05-11-12, 09:54 AM
OK...

1. no stickers.
shit, jdmst is in trouble. no way could this method be adopted

SUROK
05-11-12, 10:03 AM
Two things regarding that:

Having everything fully engineered doesn't prevent cops pulling you over in the first place and treating you like an idiot/criminal and trying to book you with whatever they can find because you drive a modified car.

Having everything fully engineered doesn't stop cops on a power trip ignoring the engineering certificate and giving you a defect notice anyways - plenty of people on here have gotten defected in engineered cars, and then being told by the inspection station that everything on the car is legal and they shouldn't have been defected in the first place.

By all means, do get your car engineered - it's the right thing to do and it'll save you a lot of hassle, but it's not a panacea for cops being stupid.

actually yeah you hit the nail on the head in your first post , but you just didnt mention having the car engineered.
do all the engine work you want.. just make sure nobody finds out about it. dont make them think.. gee that car looks quick!

DreadAngel
05-11-12, 11:22 AM
from now on my philosophy is doing things the OEM+ way, for instance, if it was a mod the factory might do as a "special edition" Simple things that make the car individual but don't stand out to the authorities.

and yes, as said above it has a lot to do with the type of car you are driving unfortunately.

Thiissssssss!!!!

My AE111 was done like this =)

And the police never pulled me over to defect my ass...

I was pulled over so I could be asked what car it was, popped the bonnet with my Tom's CF Intake, TRD 3pt Strut Brace, Recaro SR3s, Defis, etc... Outside I had C-One lip, Tom's Side Skirt, TRD Spoiler and Tom's rear pods so looked modified like a special edition and I loved it =D

Officer went to his car then came back nice car, not many in Australia?

JDM Obsession
05-11-12, 11:27 AM
Never been defected (touch wood), have owned many cars - some of which should have been defected.

It has a lot to do with where you live and how you drive...

justinspiderholden
05-11-12, 11:33 AM
99% of a cop's decision is made in the initial 20 second attitude test

Act like an ass expect to get shafted

clutch-monkey
05-11-12, 11:34 AM
Never been defected (touch wood), have owned many cars - some of which should have been defected.

It has a lot to do with where you live and how you drive...
and what you like unfortunately

Charbz
05-11-12, 11:51 AM
My brother nearly got defected once because a cop couldn't find anything wrong with his stock mazda, the cop was willing to write a defect for him not having water in his window washer bottle. we just laughed at the cop and told him to show us how full his one is in his car.

JDM Obsession
05-11-12, 11:55 AM
My brother nearly got defected once because a cop couldn't find anything wrong with his stock mazda, the cop was willing to write a defect for him not having water in his window washer bottle. we just laughed at the cop and told him to show us how full his one is in his car.

Just out of interest...

-Where do you live?
-Where was this?
-Why were you pulled over?

Veafo.
05-11-12, 12:08 PM
Engineering would be a good idea actually. Sure, it costs more money, but it probably saves you just as much in the long run.
Has anyone had any trouble engineering a set of Bride bucket seats? I was considering getting some Velo's, but for the sake of having 4 accessible seats, wanted something recline-able.

Charbz
05-11-12, 12:08 PM
Just out of interest...

-Where do you live?
-Where was this?
-Why were you pulled over?

We live in belmore, This was on Georges river road belfield and we were pulled over because of a 'random Breath test' by highway patrol who must have clearly been having a slow night, it was a friday or saturday night i cant remember, ohh and him being a P plater might have had something to do with it

yiddo
05-11-12, 01:24 PM
Never been defected ever - touch wood - but I wouldn't go barking & crying to anyone if I did as nothing is engineered.

Then again - I'm also lucky with the area that I live in..

Just hope that I never get pulled over in one of those cut throat defect stations. They seem to be causing the most heart ache.

I've always had a good attitude towards any HWP and they have never caused me a problem.

70mm clearance with the front lip - it IS too low - we just don't like admitting it :)

Fr4n
05-11-12, 01:36 PM
i dont drive after 9pm.

having a quieter exhaust and granny shifting helps too.

insideout
05-11-12, 01:49 PM

FYI it is a defect to not have water in your washer bottle

Drifter995
05-11-12, 02:35 PM
Never been defected *touch wood* but, none of my cars have ever really been defectable... Might be soon, though... Once I get the funds to finish my main one.

If you're nice to the cop, you should be alright... But, if you drive like a dildo, being nice probably won't help you.

JDM Obsession
05-11-12, 02:39 PM
If you're nice to the cop, you should be alright... But, if you drive like a dildo, being nice probably won't help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxJL_fi5teo

Charbz
05-11-12, 04:35 PM
FYI it is a defect to not have water in your washer bottle

well we found out it was when he was actually going to write out the defect, the washer bottle was half full but clearly they failed to see that we full on had to spray it and tell him to show us how much he has in his car for him to let us leave without a defect -_-

Charbz
05-11-12, 04:38 PM
Its not fair how someone can get defected for a mod they have done to their car that improves something eg, handling or breaking. when you see all these people driving around with missing panels on there car, bald tyres, rust patched everywhere, have even seen cars with no headlights or tail lights, my neighbours car didnt even have a bloody gear knob!!

Fr4n
05-11-12, 04:55 PM
Its not fair how someone can get defected for a mod they have done to their car that improves something eg, handling or breaking. when you see all these people driving around with missing panels on there car, bald tyres, rust patched everywhere, have even seen cars with no headlights or tail lights, my neighbours car didnt even have a bloody gear knob!!

BECAUSE coilovers can break your back and disrupt smooth traffic flow because lows and stiff spring rates cos racecar.

but other than 120dB exhausts i dont see how a few bolt onsand suspension/handling mods are dangerous.

Gil
05-11-12, 05:03 PM
All the time.. I see company vans, non serviced rust buckets and cars that don't even drive straight speed everywhere and just roll on by the police with no fear or care.

But for the guys up there who don't even speed, have nice clean examples with better than OEM parts drive out at night, easily get targeted..

Sucks really cause when I see this..

http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/06/25/aa.history.reports/art.car.exhaust.jpg

and I go "yeap, apparently that's road legal."

Veafo.
05-11-12, 06:55 PM
BECAUSE coilovers can break your back and disrupt smooth traffic flow because lows and stiff spring rates cos racecar.

but other than 120dB exhausts i dont see how a few bolt onsand suspension/handling mods are dangerous.

Actually, I don't think I'd run any sort of stiff coilovers. The way the Melbourne roads are maintained, it could very well be a guarantee that you do break your back.
As for everything else though, it doesn't really make sense.

Why are wide tyres a defect, even if they don't stick outside the guards? Gives the car more grip, making it (in some ways) safer, correct?
Why are pod filters illegal? Does it really do anything that could possibly be considered a hazard? Maybe if it was sticking outside the bonnet, but otherwise...
Why have people received a defect for having a sticker within the wiper blade area? It's not like the wiper will go over it and the car will suddenly explode.

I swear sometimes we just cop it for the sake of the police wanting us to. Makes me want to move to New Zealand or Japan.

Drifter995
05-11-12, 07:33 PM
changing wheel size and width affects handling... Something I know pretty well. Went from 12x4 to 15x6.5, and the thing jumps around when it hits bumps... Fun times

JDM-20L
05-11-12, 09:15 PM
Looking forward to the day I have a Volkswagen beetle parked in the garage.... :lol:

Fr4n
05-11-12, 09:28 PM
Actually, I don't think I'd run any sort of stiff coilovers. The way the Melbourne roads are maintained, it could very well be a guarantee that you do break your back.
As for everything else though, it doesn't really make sense.

Why are wide tyres a defect, even if they don't stick outside the guards? Gives the car more grip, making it (in some ways) safer, correct?
Why are pod filters illegal? Does it really do anything that could possibly be considered a hazard? Maybe if it was sticking outside the bonnet, but otherwise...
Why have people received a defect for having a sticker within the wiper blade area? It's not like the wiper will go over it and the car will suddenly explode.

I swear sometimes we just cop it for the sake of the police wanting us to. Makes me want to move to New Zealand or Japan.

the cops only enforce it. the fucking politicians make this shit up

MarcusEstevez
05-11-12, 09:38 PM

No, Only the anal retentive Cops enforce the politicians ridiculous laws... Some are decent people that appreciate nice cars.

Boogs
05-11-12, 09:40 PM

and that's what people don't understand. LOL and true to Marcus's post.

Been defected a few times, just copped it on the chin. Car wasn't engineered for any of the mods anyway. No fault of anyone else's but my own.
Shit like this doesn't bother me anymore anyway.. I'll gladly go to any hotspot and deliberately drive thru any defect/epa station and come out with no probs cos I know there is not one thing on the Liberty anyway that's a defect . :p

Veafo.
06-11-12, 11:47 AM
changing wheel size and width affects handling... Something I know pretty well. Went from 12x4 to 15x6.5, and the thing jumps around when it hits bumps... Fun times

Okay, so maybe wide-wheels could have a bit of an effect.
What about boost controllers though? Why is that an EPA notice?

(Locky)
06-11-12, 11:54 AM
OP

Are you ever ging to buy a car, seem to be talking about it on mulitiple forums for the last year :lol:

Wink
06-11-12, 11:55 AM
What about boost controllers though? Why is that an EPA notice?

Up the boost, car runs richer, more bad emissions exiting from exhaust.

Veafo.
06-11-12, 12:25 PM
OP

Are you ever ging to buy a car, seem to be talking about it on mulitiple forums for the last year :lol:

Ya, but every time I get close enough to afford one I've gotta fork out a shit load of money for something.
Sorry if me wanting to learn goes against your beliefs. ;)

toro seven
06-11-12, 01:26 PM
Engineering would be a good idea actually. Sure, it costs more money, but it probably saves you just as much in the long run.
Has anyone had any trouble engineering a set of Bride bucket seats? I .

You can't engineer them unless you want to go to all the trouble to proving to the engineer that they are safe. For example, putting your seats through crash tests, impact zones, rah rah etc.
Go recaro's that have already been tested to Australian design rules and has the correct labelling, engineers should pass them. Also, those cheap Autotechnica seats can be engineered, worth a shot getting them "engineered" in your car.

Veafo.
06-11-12, 04:22 PM
Aren't Bride seats FIA approved though?
Surely an engineer wouldn't need to crash test them if they had FIA approval.

meadan
06-11-12, 04:28 PM
100% they would need to be ADR tested if you want to mount them in your car and have it completely legit.

FIA approval means nothing to DOTARS or the RMS.

There is no "correct labelling" for ADR approved seats though, so be careful what you buy. An ADR approved sticker doesnt really mean much without a serial number, or part number, or a reference to which ADR it meets, or reference to test reports etc.

(Locky)
06-11-12, 04:29 PM
Need to be ADR approved like Velo ect

Veafo.
06-11-12, 04:48 PM
So they still require an engineering certificate (or VASS depending on where you're from) if they're ADR approved?
Wasn't aware of that.

meadan
06-11-12, 05:12 PM
Definately.

Also If the engineer is unsure on the seat rail design or fitment they have every right to require a test for the seat to be tested in a vehicle, although I havent heard of that happening for a one off certificate yet....

clutch-monkey
06-11-12, 05:18 PM
wouldn't the cop have to be a right ass to ping you for bride seats though? do people get picked up for it a lot? i've not heard it actually happen

edit: not saying don't do recaro etc, just curious

Veafo.
06-11-12, 05:25 PM
I have heard of some instances where people have copped 3 demerit points and $350 or so fine for them.
That's like anything though. I've also heard of people doing 260km/h in a stock VT Commodore. Doesn't make it any more truthful.

Run-It-Hard
06-11-12, 06:54 PM
All the time.. I see company vans, non serviced rust buckets and cars that don't even drive straight speed everywhere and just roll on by the police with no fear or care.

But for the guys up there who don't even speed, have nice clean examples with better than OEM parts drive out at night, easily get targeted..

Sucks really cause when I see this..

*photo of shitbox Pajero pissing smoke out it's ass*

and I go "yeap, apparently that's road legal."

Ironic isn't it, the modified cars on the road are generally safer/maintained to a higher standard than the old shitboxes blowing smoke out the exhaust, broken or non functional head/tail lights and munched panels. Yet we are the ones that shit ourselves when we see a Police car in our rear view, or RBT up ahead. Then get defected for mostly stupid things because they are "unsafe".

My area just happens to swarm with HWP, it's not uncommon to see them going through my street. Recently our daily Lancer (wheels and low, everything else stock) got defected literally 100m from our home.

The way I see it, if you have a modified car, you'll get done sooner or later. Whether you want to "fly under the radar" or not will determine when this magical event will occur.

Boogs
07-11-12, 10:30 AM
My company van pumps out black smoke from the exhaust.

Its called a turbo diesel. :P

boston
09-11-12, 02:09 PM
It all comes down to car choice, all the cars that get defected are usually easy targets ie skylines, old rolla's with neg offset wheels or commo's with no rear springs. It takes most cops about 2 seconds to spot all they need to defect.

I have always kept my cars looking clean and not stupidly loud or crazy wheel offsets and have had 0 problems in 5+ years of having imports, I think owning anything other then a Nissan helps lol

harrytuckerr
10-11-12, 05:59 PM
People like most of us on here who want to modify tastefully is ruined by all the douchebags in excels, lancers and p platers in NA R33's that put a massive fuck off cannon and shit chrommies that hoon them down every Main Street. Because of them, genuine enthusiasts get targeted.

Noteven
10-11-12, 06:59 PM

Lol
Gone from 12x4 to 15x8 an 9.5
Huge brakes,bigger diff,coilovers
Handles 1949927393x better then stock
Pulls up quick too.
Car is fully engineered bar the rear wheels and itbs
(only recent )
Get pulled over atleast once a week
90% of the time
Don't know wtf they are looking at
Or What came standard
And have to go by what I say.
Being nice doesn't help if it's defectable you can suck up their arse all you want.
Drive a stock looking car, or don't whinge.
Welcome to strayas shitty hwp cycle

meadan
10-11-12, 08:04 PM
Lol
Gone from 12x4 to 15x8 an 9.5
Huge brakes,bigger diff,coilovers
Handles 1949927393x better then stock
Pulls up quick too.
Car is fully engineered bar the rear wheels and itbs
(only recent )
Get pulled over atleast once a week
90% of the time
Don't know wtf they are looking at
Or What came standard
And have to go by what I say.
Being nice doesn't help if it's defectable you can suck up their arse all you want.
Drive a stock looking car, or don't whinge.
Welcome to strayas shitty hwp cycle

cool story.

Just because its engineered doesnt mean its legal. :)

Veafo.
10-11-12, 09:42 PM
People like most of us on here who want to modify tastefully is ruined by all the douchebags in excels, lancers and p platers in NA R33's that put a massive fuck off cannon and shit chrommies that hoon them down every Main Street. Because of them, genuine enthusiasts get targeted.

While this is true, there's not really anything we can do to stop it.
So many people have tried to form some rally or protest in the passed, but it seems like most people are just content with complaining about it on a message board and then hope that things change.

Just look at the biker gangs. At one point the police wanted to make it illegal for them to ride in packs, and they were able to band together and fight that.
Why can't the car community ever fight anything? I think it's due to the sub-communities involved with the car community as a whole. How are we supposed to help each other out when the Commodore guys berate the 4 cylinder guys, the drifters berating the hellaflush crowd, etc etc.

Nothing's going to change until all sub-communities can coincide. Even then, we'll have to put up with the same stereotypes that honest bikers put up with.

clutch-monkey
10-11-12, 10:08 PM
Why can't the car community ever fight anything?

because divided we fall

celowb
11-11-12, 12:52 AM
Nothing's going to change until all sub-communities can coincide. Even then, we'll have to put up with the same stereotypes that honest bikers put up with.

The only communities that will coincide soon will be the fords and the holdens to kick out the nissans and mercs in the v8s..

WAN94N
12-11-12, 07:29 PM
cool story.

Just because its engineered doesnt mean its legal. :)

being engineered = meets or surpasses ADR's.

so messed up how you meet/surpass a standard set by one body only to be screwed over by a different body who doesnt even work in conjuction with other governing parties to simplify things for everyone. really deters me to get an engineers cert because i feel its a waste of time and money, yet its prob the only thing that can pull me out if i get thrown in the deep end

meadan
12-11-12, 08:37 PM
being engineered = meets or surpasses ADR's.

so messed up how you meet/surpass a standard set by one body only to be screwed over by a different body who doesnt even work in conjuction with other governing parties to simplify things for everyone. really deters me to get an engineers cert because i feel its a waste of time and money, yet its prob the only thing that can pull me out if i get thrown in the deep end

no.

being engineered = an engineer has signed a piece of paper saying that it meets whatever they list on that piece of paper

If the engineer doesnt know which ADRs it needs to meet, they will only pass it for the stuff they do know about.

Even then, if the engineer decides that in their 'professional opinion' that the car meets all the relevant ADRs. Im pretty certain that very few could actually prove this, because they dont know all the requirements of the ADR and dont do any testing.

brasher
14-11-12, 09:00 PM
engineers cert doesn't make you immune from the popo.

trust me on that one lol.

big fat paulie
14-11-12, 09:06 PM
Half the engineers reports aren't worth the paper they are written on.

My old rx323 was engineered for series 5 rx7 seats.

Upon closer inspection the seats were bolted down on one side and bolted on to a block of wood on the other.., and it got signed off as safe like that.

brasher
14-11-12, 09:09 PM
dont blame me lol.

Blame TIC engineering for that one.

big fat paulie
14-11-12, 09:12 PM
I'd never blame you brash.
Your just too cute to stay mad at.

Just can't believe some company would have so little respect for their own work