PDA

View Full Version : [video] Snow Crashes (Stupid people inside)

Omawari_San
26-10-06, 09:03 AM
I guess this is in the USA. Well, all my prejeduces that americans can't drive and are a bit stupid come true with this clip :D

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7602705952127403216&q=crash

lite
26-10-06, 10:27 AM
O... MG. I've never driven in the snow, would putting it in reverse help at all?

van
26-10-06, 10:34 AM
There's pretty much nothing they could have done to stop those cars sliding down the hill. Turning the wheels, reversing, nothing would have stopped them.

People who don't live in regularly snowed areas - such as what you probably experience in Europe, Omawari - can't be expected to know how to deal with snow. NYC, for example, gets a lot of snow, but it's mostly flat. Sliding isn't much of a problem there, since there are very few hills of size in NYC.

If the same thing happened in Melbourne, you could expect to see similar results to what we've seen in that video. Our CBD is very hilly, and if all of a sudden the roads were covered in ice and snow, I'm fairly sure nobody would have a clue what to do. And I don't know anyone that keeps chains in their car ;)

sw33tr
26-10-06, 01:03 PM
sif get out of the car and braking with your legs will slow your 1tonne+ car stop. prob get runned over by another car skidding down the hill.

But i m amazed the 4x4 still couldn't stop. When you go to snows in NSW, the sigsn do say that 4x4 are the only cars that doesn't require chains.

BTW out of curiosity, whats the diff between 4x4 and AWD? I heard thats WRXs needs snow chains while things like pajeros, prados don't need chains.

Mike.V?!
26-10-06, 01:41 PM
But i m amazed the 4x4 still couldn't stop. When you go to snows in NSW, the sigsn do say that 4x4 are the only cars that doesn't require chains.

BTW out of curiosity, whats the diff between 4x4 and AWD? I heard thats WRXs needs snow chains while things like pajeros, prados don't need chains.

I think it's ice on the road, not snow. Even a 4WD would be useless in that case.

WRXs, like most other sports 4wds don't have constant 4WD. Proper off road vehicles have the ability to lock it's centre differential to distribute power to all 4 wheels contantly. Great in mud but totally useless (and probably very damaging) for the road. WRXs also have passenger car profile tyres too, don't forget.

van
26-10-06, 02:23 PM
That SUV at the start of the video looked FWD to me. Never heard of a FWD SUV before, but that's America for you.

AWD wouldn't be useless on the ice as far as actual propulsion goes, as it would equally distribute power and remove/lighten power from whichever wheels are losing traction, ensuring that only the right amount of power hits the ground through each wheel. I think a 4WD - while operating on a different system, sure - would still be pretty useful there.

Omawari_San
26-10-06, 07:13 PM
They clip looks like its not a problem of the hill. The road doesnt even looks icy more like fresh snow. Its more a problem of having summer tires on snow. I am sure with decent winter tires and less speed they could have steered or stopped their cars. They wouldn't have needed chains.

WRXs, like most other sports 4wds don't have constant 4WD.
I thought the WRX has permanent AWD. I think what you mean is that some offroad cars don't have a differential or can lock them to compensate the differences of the front and back wheels turning.

At least my WRX spins all 4 wheels in snow and rain.
AWD and snow is nice. You can drive like on railroad tracks with a WRX in the snow. Just breaking is a bit hard.

I've never driven in the snow, would putting it in reverse help at all?
You should breake-steer-break. If you break too hard you loose grip and just slide like the people in the clip. Once you slide you slide. You can only try to steer very gently with a foot on the clutch and wait until you get grip again. (You can maybe try to do some harcore-rally tricks :D )

But what suprised me on the clip the most was, why do they get out of a driving car??

felixR
26-10-06, 07:56 PM
that was kinda funny :p hehe

sw33tr
26-10-06, 10:42 PM
But what suprised me on the clip the most was, why do they get out of a driving car??

i asked the same question. are they scared of the airbag popping in their face or something? i mean... you can predict the point of impact so you will prob stiff ur neck and grab onto something so you don't injure yourself. but getting out of the car is just seems so dumb. knowing there are cars on your left who are prob sliding down the hill controllably too

Justin Fox
27-10-06, 12:13 AM
LOL

Justin Fox
27-10-06, 12:14 AM
One funny thing leads to another. On the right frame:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5362433487503627627&q=crash

VTECMACHINE
27-10-06, 02:24 AM
yeah I must say... that was quite funny! lol.

LOL justin... I swear to god.. those saudi arabian's are bloody good drivers. Well if you call that driving...?

VTECMACHINE
27-10-06, 02:26 AM
Just relised... how come ABS wasn't kicking in? They all locked up?... or am I imagining.

Justin Fox
27-10-06, 10:40 AM
Interesting question about ABS Rix. I suppose ABS isn't exactly designed for use on ice? Hmmm.

Omawari_San
27-10-06, 11:12 AM
The snow and the ice messes up the ABS Sensors. They can't analyse any more if the wheel is turning or not and how it fits together with the speed. Thats why you should brake gently.

VTECMACHINE
27-10-06, 02:28 PM
ohh that's crazy! never knew it was THAT dangerous to drive in the snow!

Omawari_San
27-10-06, 07:17 PM
Its not. just drive slower and use good tires. Then its pretty easy. When no one is on the street anymore put the switch to rally-mode :D