PDA

View Full Version : Joining sheet metal.

Delphia
29-09-07, 07:55 PM
Im re-doing my boot and I need to NON PERMANENTLY attach sheet metal to sheet metal. flat surface to flat surface.

I can drill holes and weld bolts into the holes allowing me to easily remove the metal panels when i need to. downside to this is i don't own a welder.

I can drill a hole and file it square and add those square nylon inserts which would allow me to screw the panels on. This method is good because the tools are cheap, but in some sections it would be REALLY hard to do without bashing the outer panel with a file and putting a outward dent in the panel

Rivets are an option for some of the panels that don't need to be removed, but I dont want to have to drill out a bunch of rivets to change a tail light globe.

I could use self tapping metal screws but after a few times of on and off i would need to use bigger screws or make new screw holes. plus... its really a bit ghetto. but still an option.

all in all I like the welding option most but it does require me to rent/purchase a welder.

opinions please

Opinions please.

chr1s
29-09-07, 09:36 PM
latching hinge my friend (similiar to those on those water bottles in restaraunts where u need to lift the latch and pull it back to take the cork out)

look for plastic(or metal) mechanical fasteners at bunnings etc.

speedracr
29-09-07, 11:15 PM
Zeus fasteners would be perfect for you. Downside is their cost. Around $10-$20ea

RedMx
30-09-07, 06:58 AM
Rivets are an option for some of the panels that don't need to be removed, but I dont want to have to drill out a bunch of rivets to change a tail light globe.

umm I think rivets would be the way to go, as you stated you will need to drill them out to change a tail light globe but then how would you remove a weld to change the globe??

Delphia
30-09-07, 09:20 AM
umm I think rivets would be the way to go, as you stated you will need to drill them out to change a tail light globe but then how would you remove a weld to change the globe??

oops i meant Nut not bolt.

drill a hole, weld a nut into the hole so I can bolt the panel on.

Please forgive me JDMST people, im embarking on a helish roster of nighshift proportions for a fortnight, my posts will be as long and rambling as a story told by grandpa simpson.

Nobbsy
01-10-07, 01:30 AM
You can do something similar to welding nuts on. You can buy a nut with a flange on it that you can rivet to the sheetmetal then use a bolt to fasten.

Delphia
01-10-07, 01:37 PM
well I spoke to a guy where im getting the aluminium from and he said as long as the steel is painted and I don't need to take the panels off very often just use stainless steel sheet metal screws with a washer between the panels.

And If I go to the expense of replacing all the globes now, the likelyhood of the panels needing to come off frequently is pretty low.