PDA

View Full Version : Prevention or Detention?

estblshd
28-02-13, 09:41 AM
One thing on my mind a lot lately is the increasing amount of police attention on modified vehicles. Will there ever be a fine line between car enthusiasts and our culture and law enforcement agencies where EVERYONE will be happy? Is there a solution?

Have a read at our most controversial blog post lately and let us know what you think!

http://www.estblshd.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/DSC_9729-1024x678.jpg
http://www.estblshd.com.au/prevention-or-detention/

Some of a few responses;
"The Police in the UK have taken the right approach by getting involved with the modified car scene. When over there in 2009 there were Friday night meets in the car park opposite the place I was staying. The Police closed the car park to all other traffic so that neither the club run or the general public were inconvenienced. Cars in the UK have to have a yearly inspection, so there are no defect notices. Even highly modified cars pass as do race cars that can be used on the road every day of the year there. The Police attend these events and get involved and enjoy the cars themselves. At the events I attended the cars were let out three at a time to do a lap of the road in front of the display, all done with the blessing of the Police. The problem here is that there are basically too many rules and regulations and too many Police over applying those rules. Maybe its time the Australian Police and Traffic authorities had a look at other countries to see how it can be managed better for everyone concerned instead of taking the easy option of demonizing car enthusiasts and their highly prized possessions" - Jono

"Well said mate. I represent the QLD Torana Car Club and on the few occasions the police have stopped by our gatherings I always go and introduce myself and engage in a positive conversation. I have found that most are car people themselves and they appreciate our machines. A smile, a g'day and a "hows ya day been?" goes along way. There is a lot of work to be done on both sides to help bridge the gap of ignorance, but I figure if we dont make the first move, we have lost an opportunity to make a difference. Nice cars you have featured to by the way. Stay Cool, Big T" - Tony Standfield

Boogs
28-02-13, 10:23 AM
Even tho there may not be any defect notices in the UK given out, remember tho their rego rules are a lot stricter than ours.
If the car isn't registered or has had it taxed paid (which they call rego) and the insurance isn't up to date, the car is impounded on the spot, fines given out and you have 28 days to pay whats owing.
If it isn't done within that 28 days, the car is crushed.

Drifter995
28-02-13, 10:46 AM
I recently attended an old car cruise and show, which had the blessing of the police, and a police guy was in. It ran smoothly, there was no defects handed out, no fines. Except when one or two guys went and did burnouts, they got fined out the ass for that. Everyone else was fine.

But yes, how people approach the police, also would be a huge factor. Get a whole lot of ignoring them, and when they come over to inspect the cars, have somebody get really shitty, calling them pigs and assholes. That only fuels their fires. Be nice to them, explain what you're doing (ie a car meet), try to word it as best you can, so it sounds like you aren't there to do skids 'n' shit.

Oxer
02-03-13, 12:33 PM
sell everything, move to the US.

Atleast thats what My solution to the problem is.

Wink
02-03-13, 01:19 PM
sell everything, move to the US.
Atleast thats what My solution to the problem is.

I rather be rich and buy cars that are essentially immune from defects.

Aint no-one defecting a Porsche 911 or Mercedes C63 AMG

Drifter995
02-03-13, 01:49 PM
I rather be rich and buy cars that are essentially immune from defects.

Aint no-one defecting a Porsche 911 or Mercedes C63 AMG

Inb4 defect on bogstock 911

MobiTechi
01-12-13, 04:15 PM
nope, they need revenue... so they target us.

hwyrunr
01-12-13, 05:10 PM
here some cops actually own modified cars themselves and come out to the larger meets in public parking lots. cops were really cool with everything except some douchebag in a lifted truck that did a burnout and got pulled over lol