PDA

View Full Version : Welded cat vs. bolt on cat

SLYDER
28-04-13, 10:37 PM
I've had my full exhaust done by a reputable exhaust shop, and the cat is welded onto the headers and cat back.

Never bothered me until now, because now I want to change the cat back.

Anyone know why they welded on the cats? Save money? Too lazy to make flanges?
Is this normal?

Ke10rolla
28-04-13, 11:23 PM
bit of both.. save costs .. also makes it cheaper for you .. also if you run a bolt in you require a gasket either end giving more chance for it to blow out.. weld in is best.. if they were to do a bolt in they would have charged you for flanges and gaskets..

i dont see how this prevents you from changing the exhaust from the cat back .. just means the shop wil have to cut the existing and do a new section.. unless you are talking about having interchangable exhaust.. if so just get them to ad the flanges to both what the cut off and to the new section .. no biggie

Prancer
29-04-13, 08:47 AM
just be more specific in your wants next time, i never knew what i was getting when i went to the exhaust shop on my ps, 2in high flow muffler cuz bro,

now its like i want a flange here, here, here made out of the lightest unicorn feather encrusted metal you can find with mandrel bends

SLYDER
29-04-13, 08:55 AM
bit of both.. save costs .. also makes it cheaper for you .. also if you run a bolt in you require a gasket either end giving more chance for it to blow out.. weld in is best.. if they were to do a bolt in they would have charged you for flanges and gaskets..

i dont see how this prevents you from changing the exhaust from the cat back .. just means the shop wil have to cut the existing and do a new section.. unless you are talking about having interchangable exhaust.. if so just get them to ad the flanges to both what the cut off and to the new section .. no biggie

Hmm... fair enough.. thanks for that Matt.

just be more specific in your wants next time, i never knew what i was getting when i went to the exhaust shop on my ps, 2in high flow muffler cuz bro,

now its like i want a flange here, here, here made out of the lightest unicorn feather encrusted metal you can find with mandrel bends

hahahaha, yeah, thanks !